Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Two Wallets ❯ Two Sides of the Same Yen Coin ( Chapter 110 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A Tale of Two Wallets

(An Altered Destiny)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

"Old Maid?" Nabiki asked sardonically, "Why not a real adult's game, like Poker?"

"Say what ye like, lass," the Gambler King responded, never losing his trademark smile, "But that's the game we play or ye forfeit the match. You call, but the dealer chooses the game."

"Then by that logic I get the first hand," Nabiki replied as she considered the rules of the game, which was called Babanuke in the local Japanese parlance, "My stake is the family claim on the house and dojo, what are you bidding?"

"First round," the Gambler King smiled, "I think I'll bid the front foyer as ye need to get in through the door before ye can lay claim to what lays beyond it."

"The front patio," Nabiki said, "Okay, so deal."

The Gambler King's hands deftly manipulated the cards while Nabiki pretended not to notice. Everyone else seemed to hold his or her collective breath. The cards were shuffled and divided with twenty-seven cards dealt out to Nabiki, the Dealer keeping the other twenty-six as both contending players sorted through their cards and began pairing them off, depending on the number of matches. Of the fifty-three cards currently in play, the Jokers were wild, and the one left holding the "old maid" card would be the loser.

Nabiki examined her hand looking for pairs to discard and all the while keeping one eye on her opponent. As she considered what cards she would offer to him she quietly measured what Silk had told her about this Gambler King the previous evening, mindful of his weakness for a certain card, and all the while trying to keep her mind entirely centered on the subject at hand rather than steal periodic glances at the audience that was on her side, particularly a certain boy whose presence was proving to be far too much distracting.

Ranma's expression was tense and his anxiety level was enormous, both facts which were plainly broadcast by the way his handsome features were set and determined. He looked ready to jump into the middle of things, to defend her physically if needful. This was more than Ranma's usual "buttinsky" complex of always wanting to be the hero no matter who else took center stage, nor was it merely his chivalrous nature in wanting to use his strength on behalf of others, this was Ranma being seriously and earnestly concerned for Nabiki's welfare, without a hint of selfish motivation. This was nervous "boyfriend" mode with a vengeance, and for anyone else besides Ranma it would be the literal equivalent of holding her hand and telling her that he wanted to be with her and defend her forever.

And that was what was preying on Nabiki's nerves something fierce, the thought that there was someone in this world who loved her for herself and expected nothing back from her but the same level of emotions. This was nothing like their faux engagement of a few weeks back, where each of them knew that the matter was a sham, a mere pretence during which she had exploited him and he had come to resent her for her deceptions. Nabiki would shed a few crocodile tears, go into an act about having always been secretly in love with him and have the guy eating out of her hands, at least until the next time he started to get wise to her deceptions. The boy had been incredibly naïve and gullible for all he was on his guard against her, and manipulating him had been such a turn-on for her ego, a thought that one of the strongest martial artists on the planet could actually be hers to use and discard at her leisure. There had never been a moment when either party had taken their engagement serious, and all it was for Nabiki was a means of getting Ranma and Akane to admit their feelings, which had happened almost in spite of her best efforts.

And yet…

Nabiki recalled the moment when Akane had angrily denounced her and Ranma for seeming to "team up to humiliate her," and had declared that Nabiki and Ranma should get engaged and make it official. At the time Nabiki had taken this at face value as a means of "one-upping" her little sister while claiming a boy whom she had always found personally attractive for her own, giving her at least a couple of weeks where she could be the one with the boyfriend while Akane could be the one to grit her teeth in resentment. Ranma was a prize to be had, as anyone in their school could have told you, and she didn't really mind his curse so much as she sometimes pretended…just so no one suspected Nabiki of harboring such emotions. It had been a thrill and a half to claim him for her property, even if she was intending to give him back…assuming that Akane could make her a suitable offer.

Of course the minute that the downside of "Jealous Fiancées" were added, Nabiki resolved to find a way to gently ease herself out of the line of danger. It had occurred to her that Ranma would come charging to her rescue, but when in fact he seemed willing to take personal injury on her behalf…well… Nabiki had found that to be quite a turn-on. Ranma rushing to her rescue and not Akane? Ranma taking her into his arms and carrying her out of the line of fire? Having someone, ANYONE be willing to risk their own health on her behalf would be a novelty in itself (Daddy and Akane not counting, of course), but this was RANMA who had risked his hide for her sake, sheltering Nabiki against the wrath of such angry women as Ukyo, Shampoo and Kodachi!

Had there been even one moment where she would have accepted their engagement as legitimate, that would have been the time to clench it. Nabiki had felt enormously tempted to take advantage of the situation, to drag Ranma off somewhere and show him what a woman could do to express gratitude for her rescue. If she had done that then it would have put an end to any chance of giving him back to Akane (at least in an "unused" condition) which alone was why she had nixed the idea as soon as it popped into her head. She was still trying to maintain her aloof and unattached status in school, after all, and she was not in the habit of "giving it up" every time she got hit with a case of female hormones.

Only now that entire scenario was chucked right out the window, leaving Nabiki feeling confused, exposed and downright vulnerable in ways that she had never even expected. She hated feeling this way, this sense of being small inside, of not measuring up as a person, and the realization that there was a very different kind of Nabiki somewhere out there who had made different choices and come to radically different conclusions with the outcome that there were actually people who TRUSTED her on this side of the timeline…it wall all too much for her to absorb in one sitting! In the few hours that she had been on this world her carefully constructed web of illusions and assumptions had been ripped into tiny little pieces and revealed for a sham in her own eyes, not least being the emotions exposed within herself as she considered the sort of life that had been lived by her double.

And that just would not do at all! Looking at her cards, she had trouble maintaining her focus, so much so that she knew that she was in danger of throwing off her whole game before the first round had been played between her and her opponent. With those simple words of, "I believe in you," Ranma had crashed through the walls constructed over a lifetime and revealed to Nabiki that she did, indeed, have hidden feelings for Ranma!

She took a deep breath and tried to stare resolutely at the cards in her hand, then forced her mind to work in the methodical circles in which she had so long trained herself to think. This was no time to have her mind on things like boyfriends (or even girlfriends, she nervously amended with a thought of how close Shampoo was standing at her side, and how eagerly the Amazon seemed ready to lend her support with an enthusiasm that-if anything-was even more intensely supportive than Ranma). This was her family's future that was riding at stake here, to say nothing of having a roof over her head by the time she graduated. If she bollixed things up here she would never be able to live with the consequences, even if she did not have to live with them on this side of the dimensional divide. Her pride would not allow her to lose the house to this…fancy card shyster! She was Tendo Nabiki, and losing to the likes of him was NOT an option!

She had almost finished making her selection when her father and the woman named Silk arrived, as did Ranma's mother and father, adding their two-yen in on what was at stake for the future. She was just about to make her play when she heard Ranma shushing the others, saying, "Look, let Nabiki concentrate, will you guys? She's doing the best anybody could ask, and from where I'm standing that's good enough for anybody."

"WILL YOU STOP DOING THAT?" Nabiki angrily declared as she threw down her cards and whirled around to confront her tormentors, "Of course I'm doing the best that I can! What do you expect for me to do? You think I like having the whole fate of the family be riding on my…shoulders…?"

It belatedly occurred to Nabiki that no one was reacting to her outburst, not even to glance in her direction. In fact they all appeared to have become rooted in the spot like statues, some in the act of talking, only all sound had died throughout the length of entire dojo.

"…?" was the next thing out of her mouth, only this phrased more with the exhalation of air than any coherent sounds on her part.

"Forgive me for resorting to this," came the dry old words of the shrunken Amazon who went by the curious name of Lotion, "But you looked as if you needed a moment to catch your breath, Dearie, and who could blame you for feeling a little distressed under the situation?"

"Ah…excuse me?" Nabiki turned her eyes on the ancient Elder.

"You need not fear," the crinkled face of the wizened old woman smiled at her with a knowing expression, "I have merely frozen a moment of time around us in order to give you the several minutes that I believe you'll need to recollect your thoughts. Time may wait for no man, but we Lore Masters are of a different breed entirely, and by the time you have recovered all of this will have seemed to them to be no more than a mere second's passage."

"You did this?" Nabiki was impressed, astonished to discover just how powerful this woman was, arguably moreso even than Cologne, who heretofore had been the model of powerful performers in her rather unbiased opinion.

"Actually," Lotion inclined her head, "Your counterpart is learning to do just this sort of thing on her own, and obviously you share the same potential, but as you lack her degree of progress I thought it best to step in and lend you a hand, as it were. I can't imagine just how truly unsettling all of this must be for you, but it is clear enough to me that you needed a breather, and it is the least that I can offer to the counterpart of my student."

"Right," Nabiki's eyebrows stayed firmly arched as she took into account that her counterpart must by now know tricks that would impress the heck out of Ranma. Aloud what she said was, "Thanks for the break…but it's just delaying the inevitable. I've got to play this hand, come what may, or the version of me you call your student will be very disappointed…"

"To say the least, yes," Lotion replied, "Because a match of this nature would be a minor accomplishment and no true challenge to her skills, and I believe that you would triumph on your own if it were just a matter of winning a card game. However…no one can be expected to perform at their best when their mind is in such a state of turmoil. Perhaps you might care to unburden yourself with me? I'm rather a good listener, when I choose to be, and I believe you need a sympathetic ear willing to hear about your troubles."

"I…guess I do at that," Nabiki chewed her lower lip, reluctant to make even that tiny little admission as confessing her thoughts was certainly not within her usual nature, "It's just…this whole deal is such a crock! How can anybody expect me to fill the shoes of that other Nabiki? I'm not really her, and I don't know how to deal with all these problems!"

"Only you could call being well loved and admired a problem," Lotion mused, "Which part distresses you the most…Ranma or Shampoo…or is it the thought of having them both that makes you nervous?"

"Ah…" Nabiki wilted a little under the gentle, teasing tone of the old woman, "…Well…maybe that's not such a bad problem…I mean…if I even did go in for that sort of thing…a threesome…and ah…well…I guess maybe the other me does like it, but…"

"Is the thought of having sex with Shampoo that disturbing?" the old woman smiled as if asking such a direct line of questioning were of no great matter.

"Ah…" Nabiki turned to regard the purple-haired wonder in question, trying to conceive of what the Chinese girl would be like in bed and finding her imagination blanking out and censoring the details, which immediately caused her cheeks to flush a deep red, especially in light of how aroused she felt at the very concept.

"She is a beauty," Lotion conceded, "One men would dream of possessing, and yet she has eyes only for you and your husband, and there is no sacrifice that she is unprepared to face on your behalf, if you will forgive the double-negative."

"Uh…hah?" Nabiki's eyes drifted down and she stared at Shampoo's abdomen, recalling that the girl was allegedly pregnant with the child of Ranma.

"She is quite the devoted wife, you know," Lotion continued, "And your counterpart is very fond of her, so don't be too surprised at the relationship that exists between them. Rather concentrate on what is truly at stake in this contest…which is not just a material thing like the dojo…it is the pride of your family which rides upon your shoulders."

"My…pride?" Nabiki turned back to regard the old woman.

"You are the lawful bride of an Amazon," Lotion explained, "Acknowledged as such by both Shampoo and the rest of her clan, and Amazons don't lose to outsider men, especially honorless types such as this so-called 'Gambler King' that dare make such an affront as to claim possession of your household."

"Right," Nabiki said slowly, her expression darkening as she found her emotions begin to resolve back into thoughts of outrage against someone who would dare attempt to make her family homeless!

"You are strong, as is my apprentice," Lotion resumed, "Your pride in your own abilities rests in the sense that you have what it takes to overcome this and every other challenge. You have strengths that you've yet even to reveal before others, and if you give yourself half a chance you might even be pleasantly surprised. All it takes is the will to gamble it all in the hopes of a successful outcome."

"Right," Nabiki nodded, this time with more confidence, "I can do this…I'm Tendo Nabiki. I don't need anyone to win this battle…"

"Now there speaks the voice of inexperience," the old woman chuckled, "I said that you have the abilities to triumph, Child, but I did not say you should do it without the help of the others."

"Huh?" Nabiki blinked her eyes, "Come again?"

"You can defeat the king, he is no match for one of your charm and subtlety," the Elder revealed with a knowing wink that Nabiki found vaguely disturbing, "But he comes to the table with allies who will not be so inclined to taking losing with a straight face. Be ready to meet the challenge head on by doing the one intelligent thing a girl in your position could do when faced by powerful men intent on harming others."

"Which is?" Nabiki asked.

"Why, ducking of course," the old woman replied with a straight face, "When the fireworks begin the only smart maneuver would be for you to absent yourself from the line of danger. That will free things up for Ranma and the others to do their part equalizing the matter, and be of a mind that the Ranma who exists on this timeline is used to rescuing his Nabiki on a fairly regular basis."

Nabiki did not facefault, but the thought was enormously tempting.

"Ah…right," suddenly her nervousness returned with a vengeance, "Ranma…he's that kind of a guy…always there when you most need and least expect him…"

"He is at that," Lotion agree, "And the fact that he has a great tush doesn't hurt matters one bit, does it?"

"Ah…" Nabiki's cheeks flushed once again, and she wondered if the old woman was in the habit of deliberately catching people off-guard with these…disconcerting little statements.

"You do like him, don't you?" Lotion smiled, "No matter what the circumstances of your present existence."

"Ah…well…there's a lot to like, really," Nabiki admitted before hastily adding, "Of course he's got as many negatives as positives, but…he is the most interesting boy in our school, bar none…only…I don't think it would ever between us."

"And why is that?" the old woman inquired.

Nabiki turned away, by choice not looking in the direction of the motionless Ranma, "It's…a long story…but I've pretty much burned my bridges in that regard, now Ranma…MY version…will never trust me. He knows I…don't always say what I mean…or mean what I say…"

"I won't pretend to know all the circumstances that surround the incident to which you are referring," Lotion remarked, "But perhaps the situation is not as hopeless or bleak as you believe?"

"No," Nabiki sighed, "It's pretty bad…and…it might even be my fault…a little…"

"I see," Lotion remarked mildly, "Well…you'd be the best judge of matters on your world, then, but it does seem to me to be a terrible waste of what potentially could be one of the great romances of the decade. Still and all, it might be wiser for you to consider your options. There are always…possibilities that do not seem apparent to us at first glance."

"Thanks for the pep rally," Nabiki replied, "But I don't think there's any way of repairing what happened between me and Ranma."

"As I say, you would be the best judge of that," Lotion dismissed the point lightly, then added, "But do not begrudge your counterpart that she made different…choices, and who knows? Perhaps she is at work in your world even now helping to repair the breech by showing your Ranma what he could very well be missing."

If the old woman had intended those words to be reassuring, they most definitely were anything BUT! It had completely escaped Nabiki's notice until this moment that her counterpart might be running loose on her world making a mess of things with her own peculiar understanding of the circumstances. How would Ranma and Akane cope with a Nabiki who was training to be some kind of a mage, and who expected Ranma to feel something towards her on the level of what the Ranma she knew was used to experiencing? What kind of ideas would she be putting into everyone's head during the "real" Nabiki's absence, and did she really want to know first hand the extent to which that Nabiki would have changed people's perceptions?

And did she really want to go back to the admittedly worse situation that existed in her version of Nerima? Here people seemed to get along a lot better than on her world, and she was actually a person whom other people regarded favorably and even cared for after a fashion. Here was a Ranma who obviously loved her for herself, and a Shampoo who did not look on her as an obstacle, and Akane was in no way interested and in fact had her sights set on marrying a sex-changing Kuonji…who could ask for a more ideal set of circumstances, especially in light of the fact that the dojo was actually turning a profit!

Hmm…might do to consider keeping the pinball and Pinochle machines and card tables after she won the match…it might even be nice having an extra side income in addition to the teaching of martial arts students…

She quashed that idea as soon as it crossed her mind. This was not her world, not her timeline, and she wasn't that other Nabiki. She had her own life to get back to, and as tempting as this one was, it did not belong to her, and in no way had she earned it. Mercenary that she was, Nabiki did have a code and some standards, and taking that to which she did not feel entitled was definitely a No-No, and not just because Kasumi would not approve of her trading places with a different version of her sister.

Besides, this Ranma was in love with a different Nabiki, and try as she might she could not in her heart be that other person. She cared for him…she could admit that to herself now…but she was no thief out to plunder another woman's treasure. This thought brought more than a tear to her eyes, but she knew it was the right decision. Somehow or other she had to get back to her world and surrender this one back to its rightful claimant, the other Nabiki.

Lotion watched the play of emotions wash over this girl who was in so many ways like her much beloved apprentice and silently nodded in approval. This Nabiki was clearly a step backwards from the Nabiki she knew, and yet she had the same potential, and clearly her heart was not as corrupted or black as even Nabiki herself imagined. The was a spark of decency about this girl that she found very appealing, and for all her mercurial temperament, she had a first rate mind, one easily trainable if given a subtle push in the right direction.

"Don't fret too much, child," Lotion leaned on her staff and regarded this Nabiki frankly, "You'll develop worry lines, and that ill becomes you. Be yourself and take pride in what you are. You can save growing up to be a woman for another day."

"Is that what you tell the other me?" Nabiki dabbed at her eyes, angrily attempting to banish away both the tears and her emotions.

"Somewhat," Lotion smiled, "But she's a bit further along on her lesson plan, so why don't we just move back a few chapters to where you tell me to mind my own business and I say that this is what I am doing."

"Do I really sound like that?" Nabiki wondered.

"Sometimes," Lotion replied, "The rest of the time you want to charge me for giving you these lessons."

For no reason that Nabiki could identify she found herself bursting out in laughter, the idea of plying her usual bargaining tricks on this cagey old Elder sounding as unlikely as when she tried the same tactics around Cologne, who was as tough a haggler as anyone she could even imagine.

"Okay," Nabiki replied when she managed to calm down, "That helped a bit…I think I can handle the stress now. Might as well return me to my card game."

"As you wish," Lotion replied, and like that everyone around them went back into full motion. The sounds that filled the dojo sounded positively deafening after the unnatural silence of before, but above the din Nabiki thought she heard Ranma saying, "Just back off and let her have a little room. Nabiki will dust this guy off in no time, you'll see."

(He likes me), Nabiki thought to herself with a sense of dull wonder, (He knows I'm not really his girlfriend but he still wants to defend me, come hell or high water).

As she picked up the cards that she had set face-down on the table and turned her focus back on the Gambler King she found a cocky little smile forming on her lips as she thought to herself, (And I like him, even if I can't do anything about it…at least on this timeline).

"Aiyaa," Shampoo's voice made her aware of how near the Amazon was standing to Nabiki's kneeling position, "Shampoo Airen no let herself be pushed around by stupid Playing Card, you see."

(Down girl), Nabiki thought with the mental equivalent of a chuckle, (Can't quite get used to the idea that I'm supposed to be marrying the both of them, or that Shampoo already considers me her wife…but for their sakes I won't lose this game! Nobody messes with my family and gets away with it, nobody!).

The Gambler King just sat where he was, smiling, having picked up on the girl's earlier nervousness, only to see her giving every sign of picking a wining hand. He knew how to deal with unexpected surprises in the deck, and in a game of this type…well…cheating was definitely an option.

Unbeknownst to him Nabiki had picked up on the twinkle in the man's eyes and was alerted to the danger, keeping her eyes primed for the tell-tale signs she needed that the man was moving around cards from concealed places up his sleeve, and knowing exactly what to do about that. As they laid their pairs of cards out face-up on the table she was mindful to watch when he produced an extra joker, and studied the cards so that she would be able to mark their positions on the next shuffle. This time around, though, she just followed her instincts and drew the cards from his hand that caused him the least tendency to display his hidden "reflex."

She privately thanked Silk about the warning that the King had an habitual tendency to smile when someone was about to draw the "Old Maid" from the others hand, or that he would automatically push that card up with the thought that his opponent would tend to pick that card, which naturally Nabiki avoided. Given all of that it was hardly a test of her abilities that she was able to avoid picking up the card from his deck, while the next time around she would raise the "Old Maid" card and make him draw it, giving her an admittedly unfair player advantage.

A few moments later, after they'd each picked and discarded cards, forming the matches and pairs that would eliminate their hands to a few cards, then going for the finals, Nabiki drew the card she wanted to draw and slapped it down on the table saying, "You lose!"

The King took this as gracefully as a man who had just been served with divorce papers, which is to say his face went pasty white and his eyes bulged out as though this were a completely unexpected outcome. His smile became a gritting of teeth as he glared accusingly at the calm-seeming girl before him, even as the men backing him up shifted somewhat uneasily in their stances.

"Beginner's luck," the King growled, rather than voice aloud his real thoughts upon the matter. He next moved a paper sheet that carried the marker for the living room of the house and said, "Your bid and call."

"Deal me in," Nabiki replied, her confidence rising as the cards were divided once again, then both contenders examined their holdings.

"Toldja," Ranma smirked confidently, "'Biki's got this one sown up like Kasumi's stitching."

That analogy appealed to her greatly, though Nabiki privately thought that she ought to have words with her "fiancée" on his choice of nicknames. "Biki" was slightly less annoying than "Hey you!" but far from as endearing a comment as his other preference, "Nab-chan."

She examined her cards carefully, already making her selections, and for some odd reason her spirits felt considerably lighter than they had been in previous moments as the thought of winning praise for her efforts was certainly a novelty, and one she could well get used to if given half a chance!

She made her play, watched her opponent try to slip cards into his deck once again, then smiled as she marked the positions of those cards and instead selected ones he did expect, winning the second round as easily as she had the first. Like that the marker for the living room went to join the one for the front foyer, which in terms of sales representation was called getting your foot into the door, an important step for all would-be entrepreneurs.

Naomi watched the young girl play her cards with the skill of a professional and smiled approvingly, finding it easy to identify with this middle daughter of the house of Tendo. The Gambler King was clearly not accustomed to dealing with someone this shrewd, which was hardly surprising as the man seemed to favor targeting children and other more gullible players. Obviously this Nabiki had sized him up too, which definitely fit in well with her profile. More than ever Naomi intended to mark this girl's budding career in business and finance, recognizing talent and wanting to cultivate it for the future.

After losing the kitchen on the third round, one of the playing-card figures standing behind the Gambler King moved forward and leaned down to whisper in the King's ear, "Not that I mean to rise above my station, old Bean, but you don't seem to be doing too well here."

"Mind yer business, Jack," the King growled at the level of a stage whisper, "Tis obvious the lass be cheating to win her matches."

"And how can you know that?" the one named Jack asked.

"Because I be cheating an' she's still be winning," the King hissed back before resuming a pleasant façade and moving a sheet onto the table, "The washroom be next, if yer game for it, Lassie."

"Lassie, huh?" Nabiki reserved a look she usually employed against deal squelchers and refrained from commenting on her lack of resemblance to a dog, regarding it as one more reason to nail this sucker flatly.

As if anticipating her thoughts, however, a new voice was added to the mixture, "Oh, I don't know…I do see at least a passing resemblance."

Nabiki turned her head without revealing her cards and set eyes upon a total stranger…but one whose very appearance somehow raised the hackles on the back of her neck. The blonde haired stranger had the sort of smile that you might expect to find on an undertaker expecting an upturn in business, and the malevolent gleam in her eyes was anything but human.

"You!" she heard her father exclaim as everyone of Nabiki's allies tensed up and immediately went on the defensive.

"How did you get in here?" Genma himself sounded surprisingly offended.

"Easy," Silk cautioned, "That's not really her…it's only her image."

"A hologram?" Nodoka asked, "How curious…I thought those only existed in science fiction."

"What do you want, lady?" Ranma's tone was-unsurprisingly-quite hostile, and Nabiki did not need to ask why as this stranger clearly was labeled "The Bad Guy."

"Hmmm," the blonde put a finger to her chin and seemed to consider the question, "Where to begin? World Domination? Total Market Share in the Third Quarter? You and your brother bowing at my feet? Your parent's heads mounted on my wall for trophies…where do I begin?"

"Easy, Sugar," Ukyo spoke up, "Remember how hard it was facing her off in that office building?"

"But how can she be here?" Akane asked, "There are no office equipment or computers inside the dojo…"

"Ah, but that's where you are mistaken," the blonde waved a finger in their direction, "I've had the necessary equipment installed during the night, giving me free access to your lovely house and every little thing that goes on in it. My house now, I might add…and don't think my factor will continue to lose all claims here if he knows what's good for him, eh GK?"

Nabiki heard the Gambler King audibly swallow before responding in a humble tone of voice, "Aye, Milady…ye may count on me for that."

"Good, because I am," the blonde replied with a cheerful hint that losing would DEFINITELY not be an enjoyable prospect.

"Who are you?" Naomi asked, sparing Nabiki from having to be the one to ask this.

"Ah, where are my manners?" the blonde turned and extended a business card, which Naomi accepted, "You may call me Cybelle of the house of Anslat, formerly a Hibiki and your kinswoman by marriage. And you, of course, are one of my husband's get by another woman…you have no idea how long I have been looking forward to meeting someone like you face-to-face."

"Watch it, Lady," the burly Kento cautioned, "I've got mega bad vibes about this lady…"

"Perceptive one, aren't you?" Cybelle replied, glancing around, "And where is my lovely grandson, Ryoga? Don't tell me he and his aunt both got lost trying to find their way here?"

"You talking about us?" the blonde named Kennou replied as she and Ryoga made their way through the crowd, accompanied by a curious woman whose hair was white on the one side, black on the other, "Sorry, we had to do a bit of sightseeing."

"Hope we're not too late," Ryoga's expression darkened noticeably as he stared at the other blonde and said, "Grandmother?"

"Grandmother?" yet another blonde who was walking at Ryoga's side turned and stared at Cybelle, "You mean she's…?"

"Afraid so," replied Makoto as she also stood at the ready.

"Well now," Cybelle mused, "Keeping company with senshi are we, Ryoga-kun? Can't say that I approve, but I suppose the matter is academic…"

"As is your attempt at providing a distraction, Demoness," Lotion turned to regard the blonde haired woman with a neutral expression, "Do you have so little trust in your own agents that you feel the need of directly supervising these affairs?"

"That is a novel suggestion," Cybelle smiled, "But I think it would be accurate to say that I am here to provide balance for my side as it is plain that you are willing to go the extra lengths for your own. Now, I promise not to start anything so long as your side remains neutral, otherwise…" she held up a hand and grinned, and electrical sparks began to dance around her finger.

Nabiki had seen enough to know that this lady was definitely a novel factor that had been added to the equation, never having met the corresponding equivalent of this dangerous-looking woman on her own side of the time-wall. Whoever she was, she definitely was a force to be reckoned, and to judge by the way everyone stood warily on their guard it was plain that even Ranma considered this woman a menace, and the fact that she claimed kinship to Ryoga made it all the more reason to now lower her guard as Nabiki cautiously measured the distance between herself and the exits.

"By the way," Cybelle mentioned almost as if in afterthought, "I do trust you are fully recovered from our last meeting? It would be a shame to have you get in the way of another…interaction between myself and my intended targets."

Nabiki caught sight of Kasumi out of the corner of one eye, seeing her sister wince by a fraction as Kodachi's eyes narrowed into slits of raw hatred directed towards the blonde woman.

"I consider my wound a mark of pride on behalf of the family of my apprentice," the old woman replied staunchly, causing Nabiki's eyebrows to once more climb towards her hairline.

"Lady Cybelle," Tatewaki spoke up, "There is no need for veiled unpleasantries, we are merely here to enjoy the fruits of a card game that is also in part an affair of honor. Let us leave the hostilities for later rather than despoil the moment."

"You're quite right, of course, Kuno-san," Cybelle responded with a gracious display that contrasted sharply with the malevolence which she had directed towards the others, "So nice to know that there is at least one gentleman of leisure present. By all means return to the card game…I am no less interested than any here at seeing what the results may be in the next few rounds of play."

"I might have known that you were in league with her, Brother!" Kodachi said in an accusing tone of voice.

"Lady Cybelle is a trusted associate," Tatewaki replied, "One who has helped me put our father's affairs in order as I have moved to insure that Kuno Industries remains on a sound financial footing. That is at least more than I could come to expect from you, dear Sister."

Kodachi's glare was almost lethal, "Have a care, Tachi…though brother you are, do not side with this creature against the Tendos or you will make an enemy of me, and I still retain controlling shares on my half of the family estate, enough to cause you troubles in future negotiations."

"That may be as it will," Tatewaki replied, "But I would advise against such a rash course of actions, dear sister, as I would not match wits with you in any light manner."

Nabiki was uncertain which disturbed her more…the fact that Kuno Tatewaki could sound so coldly reasonable and sane or the fact that Kodachi was defending her family against him! On further reflection she decided that it was definitely the latter!

"The deal's the same as before, lass," the Gambler King called her attention back towards the table, "We play for the washroom, and have a care as I will nay be taking it as light with you as the last time."

"Fine by me," Nabiki shrugged, careful to notice that Ryonami had edged herself into position where she could read the King's cards…if needful. She made a slight signal with her hand, which Nabiki answered with her own hand-sign, advising her lieutenant to stand by and wait for further instruction.

"Hmmm?" Cybelle turned and seemed to mark Ryonami's position, then with a wave of her hand sent something that looked like an electrical spark arching from herself towards Ryonami, who jumped back as if hit by a hammer.

Nabiki was stunned by the casual brutality of that gesture, but Hitome was already moving to check upon their friend and waved back that Ryonami was okay…just a bit singed around the edges. That caused a wave of mixed emotions to pass through her, and she turned a glare towards Cybelle and said, "You're gonna regret that one, Lady…"

"Oh, I'm so scared," Cybelle made a mocking sign of touching her breast, then grinned, "Like I don't already know that you're not all that you claim to be? Like I'm supposed to be afraid of an apprenticed Lore Master who isn't even an apprentice?"

"What?" Ranma exclaimed.

"How she know this?" Shampoo marveled.

"Must be a Demon thing," Ukyo grumbled.

"What does she mean Nabiki's not an apprentice?" asked the blonde standing beside Ryoga.

"It's a long story, I think," Ryoga responded.

"Whatever," Makoto at Ukyo's side raised a fist and said, "You're not the only one who can make with the light show, lady. Try that again and you'll fry, Hologram or no Hologram!"

"I'd like to see you try," Cybelle replied, turning back to Nabiki, "Shall we get on with it then? You haven't even gotten to the privy."

"Right," Nabiki turned back to the table, trying not to let herself be seriously freaked out, though that thought also had its temptations.

"Nabiki," her father urged, "Do whatever you must, but win!"

"Kick his ass, Nabiki!" Akane cheered.

"Yes, but do it politely," Kasumi urged, giving a slight look of reproof to their younger sister.

"We have faith in you, Nabiki," Silk remarked more smoothly, "And you know we'll all stand beside you no matter what happened."

"That's my line," Ranma said, "Whatever happens, we're with you, Nabiki."

"Aiyaa," Shampoo said firmly, "Stupid Playing-Card Man no have chance against Airen!"

For some odd reason Nabiki was finding being in the spotlight a less than appealing prospect, but seeing nothing better to be done for it, she turned her attention back to the game itself, determined to play her cards on the table…both literally and metaphorically in hopes that somehow she would wind up holding all the Aces…

Nabiki's Journal Continues.

"I want you to understand, Mother," I said carefully, "I'm not blaming it all on you or holding it against you since I'm sure you had your reasons for whatever it was you did to cause this. I just want to get back home to my timeline, so if you know a way to help out…"

"Ah, that's sort-of why I'm here, Nabiki-chan," Peorth nervously replied to me, "Kami-sama himself has contacted me about what happened, and when my uncle tells you to do something…well…you know I'll do all that is within my power to put things back to right…as soon as we manage to isolate the glitches."

"Glitches?" Ranma repeated, looking only slightly less freaked out about the sudden appearance of the Goddess than either Akane or Shampoo.

"Yeah," I said, "Bug-like things that mess up the system."

"System?" that from Akane, who seemed to be having more than a little difficulty dealing with the unreality of the situation, her eyes practically glued upon the woman who so closely resembled our mother, "What system?"

"Er…that's nothing you need be concerned about, Ma Cheri," Peorth responded with her typical faux French accent, "What matters is that there has been a terrible mistake made that has temporarily inconvenienced everyone, for which I do offer my sincere apologies and my promise that everything will be done to rectify this unfortunate and wholly unforeseen affair…"

"Fine," I said, "So let's get on with the rectifying already. I've got a card game waiting for me back on my version of the event horizon and the longer I remain here the closer my family comes to totally losing both the house and the dojo."

"I'm entirely with you as far as pursing this worthy goal, Nabiki-chan," Peorth nodded sagely, "It's just…there are certain details that need to be worked out, such as discovering why you were transferred in the first place. I only meant to study the various potential directions of your timeline, not to have you and your counterpart trade places like you have. These things have to be done just right to avoid potential…complications…"

"Complications?" I replied to that with a bit more anxiety than might have been called for under the circumstances, "A non-Lore Master trained version of me is running around loose in my world thinking that Ranma should be married to Akane while some nut-job dressed like a playing card is staking claims on my house? You don't find that even a little bit complicated?"

"Well…" I saw the goddess fidget and was instantly sorry that I had snapped at her the way I had. For better or worse, she was one half of the equation that had in a very real sense been my mother, and having met and talked to the other half…the real Kimiko, that is…well…I had a better grasp of the contrast and understood well that the union of two parties-mortal and divine-had been a pretty winning combination. That's why I do tend to think of Peorth as my literal mother, even as I know who my real mother is, so let's not quibble on the fine points, I was just as concerned for her as I would be about her mortal Template, the woman who actually bore me.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, "That was uncalled for. Guess I've been a little stressed…"

"And who could blame either of you?" asked the other version of Lotion at my side before giving the goddess a gentle look of understanding, "Toying with reality is not a game even the Gods should play with lightly. Restoring this timeline from a neutral state was bound to anchor one Tendo Nabiki to a standing state, and as it just so happens that this version was trained as my apprentice, it was natural that her perceptions would remain unaltered no matter what her surrounding circumstances."

"You mean that's why I'm here?" I asked, "Reality gets temporarily displaced and I remain firm while the universe changes around me?"

"Actually, that makes a great deal of sense," Peorth stroked her chin in a thoughtful manner, "If she remained still while the earth changed constancies, then her world would be momentarily displaced, creating a vacuum that her counterpart naturally filled and…oh merde," she swore softly, "I'm sorry about this, Cheri…I had no idea that anything like this would happen…"

"Don't sweat it, Mom," I replied nonchalantly, then turned to address a point that was worrying me greatly, "So…what happens to this world when I leave? Does it go back into cold stasis?"

"Huh?" I heard both Ranma and Akane exclaim, while Shampoo gave a soft, "Aiyaa…" in muted exclamation.

"Actually I wouldn't trouble yourself too much on that score," Lotion smiled at me in a way I found very reassuring, "Your very presence has caused an element of change to enter the equation, which will no doubt have a rippling effect over the whole of this timeline, the moreso if the other version of you has a taste of what your own world must be like and is affected by the experience. I think it would be safe to say that this world will go on in a different direction than was the original template."

"Er…right," Peorth sounded unusually muted as she studied first me and then my mentor's counterpart before adding, "You really think so?" in a way that confirmed in me the belief that goddesses (for all their lofty pretensions and incredible power) are basically still human at heart. This oddly enough cheered me up a great deal as it made her seem somehow more…approachable, and more than ever I was finding it easy to think of her as my real mother.

"Trust me," Lotion turned to regard me and said, "I think I have at least a temporary remedy to our problem. Shifting you back physically to the correct timeline might not be such a good idea at the present, but if a way was open for you to mentally commune with your counterpart…"

"I get it," I said, "Link with her and find out what she's been doing to cope with her problems?"

"That could be arranged, I think," Peorth smiled at me, "Simple, really, since you both are essentially two versions of the same person."

"Excuse me," that timid voice I heard from the sidelines came from none other than Kasumi, who seemed to have recovered from her shock upon meeting the goddess, "But…am I given to understand that you really are our mother?"

"Ah…" Peorth turned around with her nervousness restored to full measure, "Actually I'm more of the main Aspect from which your mother was drawn as a Template. It's…really quite complicated, you see…and…well…"

My metaphysical mother was literally saved at that point by the bell, or rather her cell phone, which went off in mid-explanation. Peorth whipped it out and began talking into the receiver, "Mushi-Mushi…yes, I'm here…oh, you have? I see…that's wonderful news. Call me back as soon as you have corrected the problem."

She clicked the phone and restored it to her belt pouch before turning to me and saying, "They've found the glitches and are in the process of rebooting the software. In next to no time they should be done with the diagnostics, and then a reality transfer will be effected to restore you back to your proper timeline."

"How long?" I asked, feeling my anxiety level increase with the hope that I would soon be back with my versions of Shampoo and Ranma.

"A few minutes, half an hour at most," Peorth shrugged, "Time enough that we can look in on your other self and see how she is fairing."

"Good," Lotion nodded towards me, "Then I suggest we return to the dojo and resume our meditations. This will be most enlightening for both of us as I would not at all mind comparing notes with my counterpart. I rather imagine she has quite a lot to say about you, young lady."

"Ah…" I winced, "I just hope you're willing to hear my side of it when it's over…"

With this matter resolved between us, we set about opening a channel so that I could get in touch with myself…metaphorically speaking, and a good thing I did, too, because my counterpart was right then experiencing something worse than a loaded card deck, as I would be discovering shortly…

Continued

Comments/Criticisms/Howmuchwoodcouldawoodchuckchuckifawoodchuckc ouldchuckwood?: Shadowmane@ridgenet.net