Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Two Wallets ❯ Skating on Thin Ice ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A Tale of Two Wallets

(An Altered Destiny)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Nabiki's Journal Resumes:

Just when I thought that life could not get any weirder it goes and surprises me in all kinds of unexpected ways. How do I summarize the way this day has turned out? I never thought creative writing was my forte, or flowery, descriptive narrative, which is more Kuno's idiom than mine.

What the hell, just go for the basics.

Needless to say it was after school today that Ranma and me hit the sporting arena together to try and polish up his technique some more, which is a fancy way of saying that he was trying to learn not to hit the rink with his-or should I say her-rump half as often. I still could not believe that a guy who routinely walks along a narrow fence on our way to school could find standing up on a pair of skates so intimidating, but there you have it. Different muscle groupings and forms of balance, I suppose, whereas I have been skating since I was very little and can do figure eights with my eyes closed.

I suppose I should take some comfort in being better at something physical than Ranma. There she was clinging to me for support, acting like a little girl while I try to give her confidence in her movements so that we can progress to something a little more complicated, like solo skating. Maybe.

To be completely honest, I thought Ranma looked cute huddling like that, totally afraid of making a complete fool out of herself, and drawing all the wrong sorts of attention towards herself for just that reason. If I were a more self-conscious sort, like Akane, I'd probably have been embarrassed, too, but as I'm well above worrying about what other people may or may not think of me I just took pleasure in her company and the very rare pleasure of having Ranma completely at my mercy.

Of course I had to twist the knife a little with occasional comments like, "Honestly, Ranma, I'd think you'd be less worried about getting hurt after all the fights you've been in. It's only a little ice, for the sake of the Kami!"

"Hey, this isn't as easy as it looks, you know!" Ranma of course would protest, then try and act macho again by trying to straighten up and maintain her balance, which would last maybe all of five seconds before her arms would start to windmill as she fought again for balance.

I'd heave a sigh and pretend to be offended by her behavior, but inwardly I was smiling as I would begin to skate circles around her, ready to catch her if she started to fall but taunting her just the same with my perfect sense of balance.

Finally the inevitable happened and I caught her before she could go down again. Being a girl helped him cope with the embarrassment all the more because instead of acting offended he would turn to me and say, "Thanks, Nabiki…that's another one I owe you."

"I'll put it on your tab," I'd smile like I was tabulating the numbers while in fact I was relishing having an excuse to hold her while she tried desperately to get her legs back under her. It took supreme control on my part just to hold and not take advantage of where I was holding, or Ranma would have given me a very shocked expression. Unlike me he's not all that comfortable with his girl form, whereas I'm all envious about what a great figure she has and how light to the touch. Ranma has a wiry frame but she's got padding in the right places. A girl like her is the envy of our Class, and she can be a handful in more than one sense, not least of all because I'd discovered how much I enjoy her girlish body.

It's a little difficult to explain in words, and no doubt people would think I was weird or a lesbian, or at the very least a little hentai, but I've got no problem admitting it to myself, unlike some people I could name off the top of my head. I don't think Ranma would understand any more than Akane or Kasumi-and I don't even want to imagine what my dad would think if he knew that I like girls as well as guys-but there you have it. Having a boyfriend who changes into a girl is what clued me in on my dual nature, but I don't feel all that weird knowing I like him either way. The chances of me getting him into bed in either form are about the same at present, unless I can think of a way to overcome his extreme shyness.

At least he's not totally useless like Doctor Tofu around Kasumi, but I digress too far off the point. I helped Ranma get steady once again, then she managed to stand on her own for about a minute before we tried to skate side-by-side with similar results to all of the previous attempts up to that date. This time I didn't even bother controlling my laughter, which I'm sure hurt her pride but was only being honest for my part.

I finally sobered up and apologized, but the damage was done as Ranma crawled back to her feet and declared angrily that she was going to give up learning how to skate altogether. I reminded her of our having accepted the Golden Pair's challenge and that balked her outright since-as Ranma repeatedly has told me-he/she has never run from a fight in her life and is not about to start doing so over a little thing like looking foolish.

She calmed down somewhat, but then she surprised me by looking up at me with a question in her blue eyes, and then she comes right out and flattens me with that question, "Nabiki…aren't you ever embarrassed about anything?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, although I had a very good idea what she meant but waited to see if she would have the guts to come out and admit that she thought I was shameless because of the way I had acted the night before.

"You know," she fumbled for the words, then in typical Ranma fashion just blurted her thoughts out, "Showing your tits off like that to me. I mean…I'd be embarrassed silly if I did that to you! All you seemed to want to do is ask me if I liked how you looked…"

"Well" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest, "Do you?"

"Uh-yeah," Ranma gulped, looking at me with a guilty start, "Y-you really didn't mind me looking at you like that? I mean…I don't want you to think I'm perverted or nothing…"

"Perverted because you like seeing me naked?" I pretended to consider the point, then smiled slyly and said, "Gee…I guess that means you'll want to have the lights off on our wedding night if seeing me naked makes you get these strange ideas about me."

"Huh?" my aqua-transsexual iinazuke blinked, "Ideas? What ideas? I just don't want you getting mad or throwing stuff at me or nothing…"

"And who do you think you're dealing with here?" I asked drolly, "I'm not Akane, you know…"

"Oh, I know that," Ranma lightly chuckled, "You're much better built, and a lot better looking."

I immediately sobered at the compliment, then after a brief pause decided to return one of my own, "Coming from you, I take that as a high compliment, Saotome."

"You do?" he blinked, now thoroughly confused by my reaction.

"Sure," I looked her over and said simply, "Have you ever really taken a good look at yourself lately? I'm dying of envy here, and I'm a year older," I indicated her bust size with the tip of my finger.

"Oh," Ranma blinked again as he considered that, then replied, "But you're all right…in fact, they're just the right size, kind of nice and everything…ah…" it seemed to belatedly occur to her what she was saying and she immediately colored.

I decided I'd had enough of playing cat-and-mouse with her and so I heaved a sigh of my own and said, "Saotome…regardless of what you may think of me, I do have feelings, and I am…sometimes embarrassed, but not over things over which I have no control. I don't pretend to have a lot of virtue, feminine modesty or whatever it is that girls like me are supposed to have in abundance. I just know that I feel comfortable doing what I do, being myself around you and not pretending to be something I can't be. So maybe I...take things a little farther than I should, I don't mean to be offensive or to shock you or anything like that. I just wanted to know if you liked me."

"Of course I like you," Ranma said, "Why wouldn't you think I like you?"

"I mean do you like me, Ranma," I pointed out more bluntly, "Really, seriously, as in 'Am I attractive to you or not?' I'd understand if I'm not…after all, I'm not…as beautiful as Kasumi, or even as cute as Akane or…"

"Hey, wait a minute!" Ranma protested, "You're way cuter than that tomboy sister of yours, and as for Kasumi, you've got way lots more character, and you're a lot more interesting to be with, so why would I want to be with anyone else? I…uh…haven't got a lot of…uh…experience around girls, and maybe I don't…know what you expect me to say to you or nothing, but…"

That was the point when I should have warned her about what I saw coming, but hearing her just on the verge of telling me what she thought of me I hesitated by a critical fraction of a second and so failed to give her adequate warning before Akane crashed into her and sent Ranma sprawling in the ice.

"Oh, excuse me, kind stranger," Akane said with exaggerated politeness, "I don't know what came into me. You know how uncoordinated we uncute tomboys can be at times, you know."

"Akane?" I blinked, then looked up in time to see Ryoga spinning out of control on the ice, calling out Akane's name as he frantically tried to avert plowing into a wall without course or direction, which was pretty much a metaphor for his whole life, when you come right down to it.

"Ryoga!" Akane realized her mistake and started skating frantically to intercept him. I glanced down at Ranma, seeing my own conclusions reflected in her expression as she lay prone on the ice, then casually remarked, "Yep, she's sure uncute all right. Hey, Nabiki?"

"Yes, Ranma-kun?" I responded.

"I thought she didn't remember who I was or nothing, but the way she blind-sided me right now…"

"My thoughts exactly," I replied, "She's either starting to remember you or…"

That was when we had our second interruption as we heard Ryoga angrily cry out, "How dare you attempt such a thing with Akane!" before the sound of fist hitting flesh was followed by the sight of Sanzenin Mikado travelling backwards at great velocity with unerring accuracy before he found and tripped over Ranma.

Of course nobody ever explained to Ryoga the old Newtonian rule about equal and opposite reaction, because his punch not only sent Sanzenin flying, it also propelled him backwards into the very wall he had avoided before. I turned to see Akane calling out to him in distress before I looked down at the mess that was Sanzenin crumpled over a pained Ranma.

"Oboy," I sighed, "Let me hazard a wild guess. He tried to kiss Akane?"

"Obviously," Ranma groaned to herself, hugging her ribs where she had been struck by Sanzenin the serial molester.

"Ahhh…" Sanzenin replied intelligently, only to recover immediately with a speed that rivaled Kuno, "The lady is spirited, and she has a fierce protector who no doubt misinterpreted my humble desire to show my appreciation."

I covered my eyes and counted to ten in Cantonese. Why was it that every other guy on the planet but Ranma was this obsessed with women? No sooner did I have my eyes closed, though, when I felt a hand on my hand uncovering my face, and there was Mikado on his feet looking at me with his schoolboy charm and smile that implied that he was the kami's gift to all women.

"Such loveliness to behold on my recovery," he said as he moved in closer to me like the Don Juan he was said to be by reputation, "Allow me to show you a token of my admiration by bestowing upon you the honor of a kiss. You will be the nine hundred and ninety-ninth girl that I have so blessed…"

"Excuse me?" I said as coolly as I can manage, which is pretty frosty by any standard, but from where I stood I could not avoid him leaning forward to me as his lips came close to mine before I could stop him.

"HEY!" I heard Ranma cry as she lurched to her feet with little thought for her balance, "What the heck do you think you're doing, you big jerk? Let Nabiki go this minute or I'll…I'll hurt you!"

I think the threat would have been more effective if Ranma had been a bit steadier on her feet, but where was no mistaking her anger as her blue eyes were blazing in furious revulsion at Mikado. I barely dared to imagine that it was jealousy over me that she was feeling, but the intensity left no mistake that she wanted nothing so much at that instant than to grind Mikado's bones into a very find paste.

She did succeed in distracting Mikado, who looked at her in wonder and said, "Do I know you, Miss? You sound almost as if you were envious of the kiss I was about to bestow. Have no fear, you can be my one thousandth girl as soon as I am finished with this beauty."

"Oh please," I growled, then used what leverage I had to try and work one hand free. I was about to slap him when something else collided with Mikado's face, sending him sprawling.

I turned to see the blur resolve itself into Shiratori Azusa, who turned primly around and said, "Do your girl chasing on your own time, Miki. It's time for us to practice the Dance of a Hundred Foes."

"The Dance of a Hundred Foes?" I heard Ranma gasp as she somehow managed to finally regain her full balance, "Hey Nabiki, you got any idea what that is?"

"Now why would I know anything about that?" I asked rhetorically, but I could see figures pouring out onto the ice, causing the regular patrons to file away as though sensing danger. To my dismay a group of young men dressed up like hockey players with goalie masks and padded gear began to form a ring about us. I started to count and-sure enough-it was a hundred hockey players in all, armed with sticks and looking very determined.

Mikado had once more recovered by this point and stood up to join Azusa at the center of this circle. He glanced at us before taking his partner's hand and said, "You two had better leave before this gets ugly. I wouldn't want two such visions of loveliness to be hurt in the crossfire."

One of the goalies pulled out a stopwatch and said, "Whenever you're ready, Sanzenin."

"Begin," he said, and then all hell broke loose while Ranma and me stood back and watched from close ringside. About ten seconds later it was all over and the hockey players were scattered everywhere. The one with the stopwatch groaned as he pulled it out and stopped the time, then said, "Nine seconds…a new record…"

"That long?" Sanzenin sniffed as he combed his hair back into place, "We could do better than that."

"Whoah," I heard Ranma said appreciatively, then to my surprise she began to straighten out as she said, "I can do that! Now I see how he does it, we can't lose, Nabiki!"

I was about to voice my dubious opinion about that when I heard a number of voices calling out, and then Ranma tensed as the sound of a cat's frantic cry drew our attention. I turned to see Sham-chan running across ice as fast as her paws would carry her, being chased by a number of people who wanted to catch my pet as she was making a beeline towards me.

I called out to her as I abandoned Ranma where she stood, skating out to try and catch up with Sham-chan, but Azusa turned out to be much faster and scooped up my cat when she tried to leap into my arms. I immediately voiced my displeasure at Azusa, but the little twit was happily attaching something to the neck of the struggling animal, so that by the time I caught up with them and was able to snatch her back into my arms I found that Sham-chan was now wearing a pink collar with a gold heart emblem. I turned about to curse the little klepto out only to see her slip the key to the collar down her bodice.

Bad move as far as I was concerned. Unlike Ranma I don't have any problem going after another girl, even if it means ripping her clothes off in front of others. I was about to do just that when Azusa pointed her hand and said, "Oh, isn't she funny? She's going to hit the wall!"

I turned in dismay to see Ranma frantically wind-milling her arms while skating backwards with the wall coming up at her abruptly. Then I see Sanzenin arcing around the prone bodies of his recovering victims in time to intercept Ranma and scoop her up into his arms, which earned an immediate protest from my transgender iinazuke rather than the heartfelt thanks he was expecting. Not that Mikado needs encouragement anyway as he then proceeded to take advantage of Ranma's helpless state, leaning forward to kiss her on the mouth while I stood there looking on in horror.

If I didn't know better I'd have sworn that Sham-chan tensed in my arms as well, but I can't say that I was really paying that much attention as my total concentration was on Ranma. Sanzenin set him down after the kiss was broken, and for once Ranma managed to remain on her feet without effort. A good thing too as her expression was dumbstruck. I think it could easily be said that she could have been knocked over with the touch of a feather.

Then slowly Ranma recovered from her shock, and then she broke into tears and started running from the ice, again amazing me as she did not slip or fall even once as she left the rink making sounds just like a girl whose heart had been broken. Sanzenin, the fool, of course did not know the implications of his deed and merely praised himself as a heartless cad toying with a lady's feelings. I was half tempted to let him know just what it was he had done but held my peace, counting the seconds as they went by until Ranma showed up again, and right on cue he appeared in male form, angry as a nest of hornets.

"MIKADO!" I heard him cry as he took a position only a dozen meters away, and had it not been for the angry look in his eyes I would have applauded him for suddenly gaining such perfect balance. Of course that look read murder, so I was not as happy to see him this way as I might have been under different circumstances. Ranma declared that Mikado had done the impossible, and for the first time in his life he was really and truly angry. To punctuate this point Ranma slammed his fist down hard on the ice and a large crack appeared that extended all the way from himself to Mikado.

"I don't know what you're so upset about," Mikado said with that same nonchalant bravado that was his trademark, "But damaging this rink is a serious offense, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to punish you."

"Poor Ranma," I heard a voice say at my side, and I turn with astonishment to see Akane standing next to me with Ryoga, "He really brought this on himself, you know."

Before I could ask the obvious question about how she seemed to remember him so clearly, I saw Ranma launch himself in a forward attack towards Sanzenin that the other boy effortlessly sidestepped. Ranma landed in a heap, breaking into the ice with a massive head-butt that made me wince in sympathetic reaction.

"Idiot," I heard Sanzenin coolly remark, "Only a fool launches a suicide attack early in the match."

I think he was about as surprised as anybody present when Ranma loomed up from the ice, recovering with a speed that would have done credit to Kuno. For a certainty Mikado had a very brief flash of dismay that could have been laced with fear if I read him right as Ranma attacked again, missing entirely and this time he and went sliding right into the nearest side-wall, smashing right through it in a hail of broken concrete and plaster. Once again he rose up like a Phoenix from the ashes ready to renew his assault, so Mikado declared that he would now take the threat seriously and went into a different maneuver that one of the recovered hockey players called "The Dance of Death," pronouncing it reverently as though Mikado were doing some great honor to his opponent.

Said "Dance" consisted of Mikado spinning like a top on one leg at great speed while Ranma attacked, and to my amazement Sanzenin kicked up a whirlwind on the ice that picked Ranma up off his feet and spun him around in the air above Mikado for several minutes. Then Ranma fell from the cyclone and landed with a loud thud on the ice, cracking it with his head as Mikado slowly pirouetted to a standing crouch.

"Well, that's it," I heard Akane said casually, much to my amazement as she turned around, "Better gather up your iinazuke, Sis. He looks completely out of it for the moment…or would your rather have Ryoga-kun do it?"

"How long have you had your memory back, Akane-chan?" I asked sourly while going to check on poor Ranma, having the deep suspicion that I had somehow been conned by my little sister.

"I'll tell you all about it when we get back home," Akane smiled, "Now that Ranma's worked off the edge of his anger, I think it's time to let him in on the truth."

I looked down at Ranma where I knelt and said, "Are you all right, Ranma-kun?"

To my amazement Ranma tried to pry himself off the ice using just his arms, but the effort taxed him of what little strength he had left and instead he slumped down onto the ice, out cold, if you can excuse the expression.

"Baka," I murmured softly, then added, "Ryoga, could you please be gentle and help me pick him up?"

"Oh, I'll pick him up all right," Ryoga said with a nasty smirk, "But I can't promise I'll be too gentle…"

I clenched my teeth and said, "Would you like Akane to know what kind of a pig you are underneath? I'm pretty sure I can find some cold water in this place."

That sobered Ryoga up and he winced nervously, picking Ranma up as gentle as a baby.

Suddenly Azusa was in my path again with a smirk, "Guess Miki won that fight, huh? Just a little taste of what you'll get if you go up against him and Azusa."

"Sorry to disillusion you," Akane replied, "But Ranma won hands down. Have a look at your boyfriend if you've got any doubts about that."

"Huh?" Azusa turned to see, as I did, that Mikado had not moved a muscle from the time he had finished spinning. He was frozen in place like a statue, and as Azusa came close enough to inspect him she announced, "Oh…he's out cold! That's never happened before."

"You'd be out cold too if you'd been hit five hundred and one times," Akane said as she turned away and said, "And Ryoga-kun, you don't have to be too gentle helping Ranma."

"You just said the word, Akane," the lost boy grinned, showing off his wicked canines, and suddenly I had an urge to splash him with cold water. Instead I took what satisfaction I could in noticing that Azusa and the Hockey players were taking advantage of Mikado's paralyzed state to take out marker pens and doodle all over him. I was tempted to join in, but at the moment my concerns were all directed towards Ranma.

As soon we had moved Ranma back to the dojo I proceeded to dress his wounds and bandage the little cuts and bruises he had taken in his fight with Mikado. Naturally I covered for my extreme concern over his welfare by falling back on sarcasm, the tool I have for so long used to keep people at a distance, though in this case I just wanted to hold him and assure myself that he really would be all right.

"Honestly, Saotome," I clearly remember saying as Ranma sulked while I applied the bandages, "Five hundred and one times? Did you really hit him that often?"

"Hey, he started it!" Ranma angrily protested, "What did he expect to have happen when he…he…did that to me! And in front of you of all people…"

"In front of me?" I asked suspiciously, "Why would you be more upset about…"

And then it hit me as I saw his hurt and guilty expression. Ranma had just lost face in public and had been humiliated in his girl half with me in front-row attendance, his own iinazuke. That was a hell of a body blow to his pride, and his male ego could not stand the thought that I had seen him get kissed by another guy, the baka! I knew instinctively that it had to have hurt, but at the time what I remember was getting angry.

"Listen, Saotome," I said, "It wasn't your fault and I certainly would never hold a thing like that against you…"

"Leave me alone!" he said as he got to his feet, clearly intending to leave the dojo, but I reached out and gripped him by the arm to prevent his leaving.

"Don't you dare walk away from me like that, Ranma!" I said as I got to my own feet to confront him, and then I felt my anger fade as my courage started to leave me. The pain in his eyes and his voice were telling, and I started to feel very small for getting worked up about his being hurt over something that had to be traumatic.

"Ranma," I tried a more diplomatic tone, "I…you mean a lot to me…I don't want you to think this affects how I feel about you, or anything else between us. Please don't go away angry, not like this, and not over Mikado. He's not worth it, trust me. Besides…it was just a kiss, him kissing you, right? Not the other way around? You didn't start it, so it's not like you've got anything to feel ashamed about."

"A lot you know," he said without turning back to look at me, "What do you know about getting kissed by another guy who thinks you're…feminine. Or maybe in your case unfeminine's the term I should be using."

"Unfeminine?" I repeated, "Are you calling me un-feminine, Saotome?"

He blinked and then growled, "No!" as he turned around to face me, "You're the most feminine person I've ever known, Nabiki. It's not like that at all! I mean what if somebody thought you were a guy because of the way you looked? How would you like it if another girl kissed you thinking you were some cute stud or something?"

"I'd, uh…feel pretty awkward," I said lamely which was half a lie as I really didn't find the idea of being kissed by another woman all that offensive. Him in his girl form, for example.

Ranma took a deep breath to calm himself, then said, "You can't really know what it feels like, Nabiki. I feel bad because you had to see me like that. I always hate it when I'm not myself around you. I want to be a guy with you, Nab-chan…honestly, but after today…"

"What about today?" I asked, "Forget about it, it's in the past and forgotten. Besides, I'd only be worried about you kissing somebody else if you really meant it. Not that I'd expect you to ever work up the courage about that."

"And what do you mean by that?" he demanded with a narrowing of his eyes.

"I mean to say you wouldn't have the guts to kiss a woman because you sure haven't tried it with me, not since that last time on our first date."

"Ah…" Ranma reacted to that, then I saw his expression harden, his resolve grow firm and the anger began to swell once again, "You're such a…flirt!"

"I'm a what?" I asked, feeling my own temper rise of a sudden.

"You don't have any more feminine modesty than I do when I'm a girl," he said, then calmed slightly as he added, "And here I was afraid you were going to pound me like your tomboy sister and call me a pervert. Hah!"

"And what's that supposed to mean?" I bridled, "You think I'd give myself to just anybody, Saotome? Don't flatter yourself! I only take real men at their word, and I still say you don't have the guts to kiss me!"

"Oh yeah?" he said, and then reached out with the tip of his finger and pushed against my breastbone. His other hand caught me as I started to tip over, and suddenly I was in a swoon in his arms looking up into his blue eyes and feeling the world melt away as the pounding of my heart starting banging away and I felt suddenly very warm and utterly helpless.

I thought for sure right then he was going to do it, that I'd finally pushed him too far and now he was going to pay me back for all my taunts and insults. I couldn't have done a thing to prevent him if he wanted to go through with the act, and I sure as hell would not have put up a fight if he had tried it. Instead we both just hung there looking into each other's eyes, and then suddenly we broke the clench and found ourselves at opposite ends of the room, staring at each other wide-eyed as if we thought we'd both gone utterly crazy.

"Ah…" I managed to say after a moment, "That…was pretty good…you almost had me going, Saotome."

"Hah?" he asked intelligently, then blinked, "Oh, uh…you mean? Well…I…"

"I don't believe you two," Akane declared as she came into the room in a huff, "We finally thought you were going do it and instead you chicken out like a couple of bakas!"

"Hah?" Ranma turned his full attention her way, "You mean…you remember me? You know who I am?'

"As if I'd want to remember a pervert like you!" Akane snapped, "Yes, I got over the Xi Fang Giao Shiatsu attack several weeks ago thanks to Doctor Tofu and Ryoga, and no thanks to either of you, especially my so-called sister!"

I felt a stab of guilt over that but managed to say, "So what was the trigger? Did Tofu find another booklet explaining the attack and how to reverse it?"

"It wasn't easy!" Akane snorted, "Ryoga gathered up all the pieces and then took them to Tofu's place where he proceeded to spend the next several days putting the thing together…"

"Uh, actually, Akane-chan," said Ryoga as he surfaced from hiding, "I just took them to his office, it was Tofu-sensei who put it all together, with a little help from Kasumi."

I tried not to think about what sort of help Tofu would be in Kasumi's presence then gave it up as something I was better off not knowing. More likely Kasumi herself put the booklet together from the pieces…it was just like her to be that meticulous while Tofu made a typical fool of himself off in the corner with his skeleton, Betty-chan. Instead I asked my next obvious question, "Why the deception, Sis? Why have you been pretending for the last few weeks that you didn't know Ranma?"

"Because I wanted to see if he would try anything with you when he thought I wasn't looking," Akane glowered, "And because I wanted to get back at you both for leaving me like that once your little Amazon buddy packed up her bags and left town in such a hurry."

I heard a hiss and turned to see that Sham-chan was also in the room, only she was glaring at Akane as though she understood both her tone and meaning. Sham-chan still had that ridiculous collar that Azusa had placed around her neck. I calmed her down, seeing how Ranma reacted to her presence, then turned and said, "So you had a good joke at my expense. Ha, ha, very funny."

"Too bad you did get your memory back," Ranma sniffed at Akane, "It's been a lot quieter around here without you always calling me a pervert."

"Shut up, Ranma!" Ryoga snarled, "You don't know how hard it was for me to decide to help her regain her memories. Akane was complaining of headaches and memory flashes and I couldn't bear to see her suffering on account of you, so I asked Doctor Tofu for his help, and with the right combination of Shiatsu points and counseling we were able to restore her memories and reverse the effects of what that Amazon did to her memories!"

"Counseling," Akane huffed, "More like you filled in for Ranma and repeated word-for-word the various insults he's been saying behind my back, when you thought I couldn't hear you. That was the trigger that finally let me put it all together, after weeks of constantly having to be reminded of who this guy is who's been seeing my sister, and stumbling over you every where I turn, and not being able to remember…"

"We get the point, Sis," I said with a sigh, "So you played dumb and waited for the right time to let us in on your little joke. Nicely played, only what made you decide to break character all of a sudden?"

"Watching you two fall all over each other on the ice," Akane replied, "It's the straw that broke the camel's back, now the honor of the Tendo dojo is at stake. The golden pair have an unbroken record of straight victories, and you honestly expect to compete with HIM as your partner?" she rolled her eyes, then added, "And to top this off the match is supposed to be about martial arts, which you're barely able to compete in as it is! What made you honestly believe that you could go up against someone like Shiratori Azusa?"

I admit I had to wince at that question, "I don't know…just something about her, and the way she tried to steal my Sham-chan…"

"Well," Akane said, "There's nothing to do for it now, but if you want to continue training with this moron, then you'd better train with me and Ryoga."

"Hah?" Ryoga blinked, going very pale as though the thought of skating again held him in abject terror.

"What's the matter, P-chan?" Ranma grinned, "Afraid of a little ice?"

"Shut up!" Ryoga snapped, "And who are you calling 'P-chan,' you…pervert!"

"Ah struck a nerve have we?" Ranma sniffed, "And for your information I am not a pervert."

"Oh really?" Ryoga smiled, "Then why did you let that Sanzenin guy kiss you?"

"Oh my," said Kasumi as she happened to be walking by the room at that moment, "Is that true, Ranma? Were you kissed by someone other than Nabiki?"

Ranma made a noise like a small animal being cornered by a tomcat, which naturally gave Akane the urge to twist the knife a little by saying, "He was a girl at the time, so I guess that makes it all right."

"Oh," Kasumi seemed to accept that explanation, "Well, then it really wasn't so bad, then. I mean, it's not like it was your first kiss, was it Ranma-kun? Now that would have been tragic."

"Gah…" Ranma visibly wilted this time, and I realized with a start that it really had been his first kiss ever, which made me suddenly very angry. The thing I had longed for so fervently Mikado had taken with ease and turned into a traumatic experience. Now how in the name of the kami was I ever going to get him to kiss me?

I think it was desperation on my part that made me elbow past Ryoga to confront my iinazuke, "Listen, Ranma, you don't have to feel bad because that louse took advantage of you. Maybe it is your fault in a way for leaving yourself wide open, but this doesn't mean he had the right to do that."

"Leave me alone," Ranma said with tired weariness and a sadness in his eyes that spoke volumes more than words about his feelings.

I think right then that leaving him alone was the very last thing I wanted to do, so I seized hold of his shirt and drew myself closer to him. Ranma lifted his eyes in surprise, seeing that I had brought my face up to within a few inches of his before I hesitated, wondering if I was doing the right thing or just blindly following my instincts. I wanted to kiss him, but I wanted him to know how much it meant to me, and simply forcing my way here was definitely not what either of us wanted. What I wanted was to reassure him that everything was all right with me, that I did not think less of him because of what had happened. He was staring at me with a question and I tried to put into my expression all the warmth of feeling that was within me at that moment.

I think I was starting to get through because his expression softened, and then I felt his resistance crumbling and moved in closer, wondering now if I would finally have the courage to go ahead and do it. It would be his first time, and the first time it really meant something to me, so I wanted us both to savor the moment. I think we would have succeeded in the end, but all of a sudden I felt Ranma tense and glance down at his feet, seeing Sham-chan rubbing against his legs in the best kittenish manner of assuring a human that he was loved and cared for.

That was a little too much for him, I'm afraid, because all at once his extreme Cat-phobia kicked in, and without a single word Ranma cried out and fled the dojo, leaving me frustrated and Sham-chan wearing what-on a cat-must have been a very confused and dejected expression.

Sigh!

So here I am now sitting in my room before my computer in my underwear worrying myself sick about poor Ranma. He didn't turn up for dinner, so I guess he needed to be alone for a while, and who can blame him? This day sure hasn't gone according to anyone's plans and I'm starting to get really worried about the upcoming match this Saturday. We only have a few days to prepare and Ranma's only marginally better than yesterday, while my skills in the martial arts look weak in comparison to what I saw displayed by Azusa and Mikado.

I'll admit the idea of being dumped on my head the way I saw Ranma taking his punishment holds no real appeal for me, nor do I entertain the fantasy that I could return the favor on those two. I'm over my head and I freely admit it with circumstances spiraling out of my control and no clear way to get things back into a semblance of order. Normally I can usually find some clever angle to use to my advantage, but we're talking about a match in front of hundreds of witnesses, so how the heck do I turn a looming disaster into a market potential?

If I had any sense I'd back out now and admit defeat, but that would be a betrayal of my family and dojo, to say nothing of letting down both Ranma and Sham-chan. No way am I giving up my cat to that Kawaii little loon and her menagerie of knick-knacks. I've got to find an angle and quick, some intelligent way that I can climb back on top of things and surprise Azusa and Mikado. After all I can at least skate decently, which is the only real advantage I have over Ranma, who outclasses me in every other sense.

Let's face it, Ranma deserves to marry somebody who can keep up with him. Too bad he and Akane don't get along, or if only I had kept up my training. If I'd been sparring with Akane all of these years I know I'd be in good enough shape to take Azusa on, and possibly Mikado. I don't want to go out there and possibly get hurt or make a fool out of myself, and I sure as the Kami don't want to be a burden for Ranma.

I'm tired, my thinking is growing fuzzy and I'm beginning to nod. It's been a pretty stressful day, so maybe I should just sleep on it and let my brain come up with something that can turn everything back to my advantage. Mornings are really where I get my best inspiration and I won't be in any good shape to help train with Ranma if I don't get to sleep right now, so I'm shutting down for the evening.

Yeah, right…sleep. As if I can sleep feeling this wound up and all. Well, until I make my next entry, sayonara.

Nabiki closed the file, shut down the computer and headed for bed, convinced that sleep would elude her for hours. She barely noticed that the cat was watching her the whole time, and once Nabiki's head hit the pillow the cat walked up to the bed and jumped atop it to surprise Nabiki by placing its paws on certain nerve centers that instantly rendered her unconscious.

Satisfied that Nabiki would sleep well for the next few hours, the cat headed for the window, pried it open then slipped out into the night.

Less than fifteen minutes later a very different Sham-chan emerged from a tub of warm water and met the even gaze of her elder, then dutifully waited for the command to speak. It took a few minutes to relate everything in as much detail as seemed pertinent, then the Elder looked thoughtful as she mulled it over.

At last the elder looked down at her Great Granddaughter and said, <"Matters are indeed progressing very swiftly. Have you arrived at a decision, my child?">

She nodded affirmative then said, <"I have, Great Grandmother.">

The elder smiled as if reading her thoughts, <"You have chosen the more difficult path, I see. I should be disappointed in you, but I am not. Very well, then I will support your decision. You know what is required of you here.">

Shampoo nodded that she did indeed understand what was being asked of her. Surprisingly enough she found it easy to say, <"It is my life to decide, Great Grandmother. I must do what my heart tells me is the best for everyone, including my husband.">

Elder Cologne smiled in reply, <"Then we will begin immediately. I expect you to obey my instructions to the letter, and add whatever creative touches you feel are most appropriate. It will be a challenge to rope this one in, but with the right incentive I think she can be made to see reason.">

<"That is my hope as well, Great Grandmother,"> Shampoo replied with a smile, <"I've gotten to know her pretty well and I think I understand how she thinks this time. So far she doesn't suspect me but…she is a very clever person.">

<"So I have gathered,"> Cologne replied, <"Return at once and be ready come the morning. You will know what needs to be done when it is time to make this Nabiki Tendo see things our way. By the way…about the collar…"

Shampoo felt her neck and was acutely embarrassed, <"It won't come off no matter what I've tried. You think it might be magical in nature?">

<"More like the magic of Jusenkyo at work,"> Cologne explained, <"If the thing had not expanded with you the simple act of transformation would have strangled you to death. We will have to see about removing it later, but for now I suggest you take appropriate measures to conceal it when next you face your intended.">

<"Yes, Great Grandmother,"> Shampoo replied, reaching for the cold water hand-nozzle, and moments later she padded back out into the night, still wearing the annoying collar but with a lighter heart as she made plans for the following morning.

Cologne watched her go then smiled to herself and said, "You are clever, little one, but I can see right through you. A difficult path you have chosen indeed, but I would expect no less from my great granddaughter…" she sighed as she added, "I just hope you haven't met your match with this Tendo Nabiki…"

Continued

Comments/Criticism/Complete Figure Eights of Logic: Shadowmane@msn.com