Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Two Wallets ❯ Chance Encounter ( Chapter 43 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A Tale of Two Wallets

(An Altered Destiny)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Cologne returned to the Nekohanten late that night feeling weary of the lengthy business that had kept her so long at the Saotome house. It had taken considerable skill on her part to convince Nodoka that everything was well and that she need not fret about her son being out late at night, while ensuring that her good-natured son-in-law did not blow his cover and reveal his true nature. Once satisfied that affairs would remain at least nominally secure until the morning, she decided that a good rest was something her weary old bones could use for her own sake, so she entered the darkened restaurant with no more thought than the warmth of her bed, yet almost immediately her senses alerted her to a presence that had been waiting for her in the darkness.

She stood tense and alert until she made out whose presence it was that she had detected. The very silence of the figure that moved from the shadows was testimony enough to the identity of her nocturnal visitor. Once satisfied that it was, indeed, Kuonji and not Mousse she had to contend with she decided to relax by a fraction and waited for the cross-dressing okinomiyaki chef to announce herself in proper order.

"About time you showed up, old woman."

Cologne smiled, sensing no hostility in the young warrior's attitude, and even a sense of somber contrition that she decided might be useful to her ends. In a deceptively mild tone of voice Cologne replied, "To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit, Kuonji-san? Was your date with Shampoo not to your proper satisfaction?"

A slight sniff in reply told her what Ukyo thought about the resolution to her "date," but rather than address the point directly what she said was, "We need to talk."

Cologne nodded fractionally, already suspecting that the young girl before her was about to propose a very interesting transaction…

"Hello, is anyone there?"

Kasumi studied the door to Doctor Tofu's clinic and wondered that he was not open to business. It was a bright and cheerful morning, not at all like the unpleasantness that had tainted the evening (in her judgement) and she had baked for Tofu one of his favorite dishes, hoping to use the excuse to seek him out as she felt a need to find someone with whom she could consult. It wasn't as if he was a stirring conversationalist most times, but at least Tofu could be a good listener, and he would always cheer her up with his clownish antics.

Only the clinic was dark inside, and there was no sign that Tofu was even home though it was an hour past his usual opening hour of business. It was all very strange and she felt concerned that something might not be right with him. If he came down with a chill then he would need someone who could help nurse him back to good health. Kasumi would gladly volunteer for that assignment, if only in repayment for the years of kindness that he had showed to her family, most especially Akane.

"Oh my," she said in disappointment, looking down to the covered dish that she was holding, "I suppose I could leave this for him on his doorstep…"

"Really?" a voice at her side remarked, "Such a shame, and it smells so delicious."

Kasumi turned to see the figure standing next to her and was pleasantly surprised at discovering that it was Doctor Tofu's mother. Tofu Ana was smiling up at her with her usual kindly grace, so Kasumi returned her smile and said, "Konichiwa…I didn't hear you approaching, Tofu-san."

"That's all right, dear," Mrs. Tofu replied, "I could see that you had other things on your mind, my son being one of them, of course."

"Oh," Kasumi said softly, "Well, I was worried about him…he's never failed to answer me when I've visited before. In fact, this is the first time that his door wasn't open at this time of the morning."

"Really?" Mrs. Tofu looked excitedly at the door itself, "Is it locked?"

"Well, I didn't really try to test it," Kasumi started to explain when the older woman pushed past and slid the door open without effort, which prompted Kasumi to remark, "Oh my…are you sure it's proper for us to do this?"

"That food will get cold and go to waste if it's not brought inside, dear," Mrs. Tofu explained, "And besides, I'm his mother. You don't honestly think he would object to me paying him a visit?"

"Well…" Kasumi said reluctantly as she followed the senior Tofu into the reception area, where they found a curious sight awaiting them as melted candles were set upon the floor, having dripped down to the level of the carpet.

"Now that's interesting," the older Tofu remarked, noticing the trail of discarded clothing that led back towards the bedroom area. On impulse she darted forward and threw the door back to peer inside the private chamber, then she stood where she was and gave a pleasant cry of, "Oh my! How delightful!"

Kasumi edged forward in growing confusion until she was able to look past the shoulders of the diminutive old woman, and then what she saw in that chamber caused her to gasp aloud in both surprise and dismay. There indeed was Doctor Tofu Ono stretched out on his bed, his chest bare but for the woman who was half-draped over him, a woman who looked so incredibly much like Kasumi that even she had to check herself to make certain that it wasn't.

"Uh…?" Tofu stirred to slow consciousness, fumbling for his glasses before he was able to look up and see that he and his companion had company, and then he started to upright sitting position with a look of total dismay and blank incomprehension, "M-M-Mother? K-K-K-Kasumi?"

"Well done my boy!" Tofu Ana cried, almost jumping for joy as she gave a whoop of triumph that startled the other girl into semi-awareness, "You've made your mother so very proud, and you didn't even have to wait until the official ceremony, you sly boy! If only your father could have lived to see what a man his son has become…"

"Elder Tofu?" Kachu rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and sat upright, but unlike Tofu she did not reach for a bedsheet to cover her naked bosoms.

Kasumi gaped at her older twin sister, unable to help seeing herself in the place of the Amazon Demon Huntress as Tofu looked at her and felt his glasses fog, but for other reasons than his usual degree of shyness. In desperation to regain some control over the matter he cried, "Mother, couldn't you at least have waited for us to get up first before disturbing us?"

"What's the matter, son," his mother grinned lasciviously, "Your blushing bride doesn't seem to mind one bit. You two young rascals still have enough energy left to go at it some more? If that's the case then I'll go make some tea and wait until you're both ready."

"That…may not be necessary, but I thank you," Kachu said as she got up out of the bed, wholly oblivious to her totally nude status, "I should get up and begin my meditations…but it was such a pleasant feeling to just lie here…I could indulge myself that luxury a little longer."

"That's my daughter-in-law," Tofu Ana enthused, "I want at least three kids from you, you here? Maybe a couple of sons and a daughter…or as many as you like."

Kachu did blush at that as she said, "Well…if it is in my power to try, I will certainly give it my best effort, honored Elder."

"Urk?" Tofu stared up at his recent bed companion of the night then hastily jumped to his feet and threw a bedsheet around her, surprising Kachu who did not seem to understand the reason for his odd behavior.

The sound of the dish that had been in Kasumi's hand hit the floor before anyone noticed that the other girl had just dropped it, then Kasumi turned around and began to take her leave…at first slowly but then picking up speed until she was actually running.

"Sister?" Kachu gasped, only now realizing that her twin had been staring at her in an almost unreadable manner.

"K-Kasumi?" Tofu asked, then his shoulders sagged a little and he turned to look into the eyes of his Amazon wife and shared a sad note or reflection between them. Without either of them having intended to do so, they both knew that they had caused distress by their actions to the gentlest of all the sisters of the House of Tendo…

"I can't believe you pulled that off, Ryoga," Akane shook her head in disbelief, glad to be back in human form and in some decent clothes, though hardly the ones she had started out with the night before.

"Well," the boy at her side replied sheepishly, "It seemed like a better idea to join in than to risk a fight where you might get hurt, Akane-chan, and it's not like this was the first time I've had to play cards with some members of the Yakuza."

"Huh?" Akane looked at him in askance, "You mean you've done this sort of thing before?"

"Frequently," Ryoga sighed, "When you're on the road as much as me you tend to meet all sorts of interesting people, and Obuyan Tomari isn't really all that bad a sort. He's a pretty good loser at cards, not like that underling of his, Largo."

"So they just let you play in on their game," Akane said, "And they didn't mind that you won three our of four hands?"

"It's all in the way you play," Ryoga shrugged, "As long as nobody loses face everybody gets up from the table and we shake hands and everybody's happy."

"So they don't mind that you walked out of there with fifty thousand yen in your pocket?" Akane persisted, still unable to reconcile this new revelation about the perpetually lost boy.

"Like I said to you before," Ryoga shrugged, "Playing cards is just like martial arts. You take a few hits, trade a few blows, and wait for the right moment then you strike to disable your opponent. I was taught to play by my mother, and she used to be a pretty good card player."

"Used to be?" Akane asked with raised eyebrows.

"I…um…haven't seen her for a while," Ryoga said sheepishly, "Since I was thirteen, I think, and started out on my quest to avenge myself on Ranma."

"And she's never tried to look for you at all?" Akane found her eyebrows were climbing almost to her hairline.

"I…don't really know," Ryoga said, "I guess she is…but like me she's got this horrible direction sense…in fact my whole family has it, including my cousin, Akiko…"

"Akiko?" Akane asked, wondering why she was hearing about this for what seemed like only the first time ever.

"Well, Aki and I only met by accident that one time," Ryoga shrugged, "She was piloting a ship that I took a cruise on, and it was the first time I'd met a girl who was as strong as me and with just as bad a sense of directions. Took a lot longer for us to get to our destination than it should have, but I was grateful for the chance to spend time with a family member. She's older than me by a couple of years, but until we met I'd only a couple of times heard my mom even mention she had a sister…"

"Wait a second," Akane looked at Ryoga sidelong, "Your cousin is the ship's navigator? How in the name of the Kami did that happen?"

"I don't really know," Ryoga replied, "But considering how sensitive she was on the subject I decided I was better off not asking."

Akane shook her head then they resumed making their way back to her home, being careful to lead the way this time now that she was back to being a human. Having a Jusenkyo curse was going to make a lot of changes in her life, she reasoned, and she had no idea how she was going to explain this one to her father. She did not look forward to the display of waterworks that she had no doubt would be commencing, to say nothing of what Kasumi might say about her being out late at night with Ryoga, as if she weren't safe enough with a boy who got a bloody nose just at the slightest hint of doing anything perverted!

"Tadaima," she called out with some relief when she was at last set foot on the threshold of her house, taking a moment to remove her borrowed footwear before looking around and wondering where everyone else was at the moment.

"Ah, Akane-chan," came the pleasant voice of Silk as she rounded the corner, "Good to have you back, your father has been very worried about you. I trust you have a good reason for keeping Ryoga out so late at night?"

Akane opened her mouth with the intent of asking what business it was of the Amazon to ask her such personal questions, but she saw the pleasant smile in the older woman's eyes and what anger there was in her died, to be replaced by a sense of confusion as it almost seemed to her that she really was being addressed by the ghost of her late mother. Instead she focused on the one part of Silk's address that did not jibe well with her sense of proportion and she replied, "Wait a minute…what do you mean I kept him out so late?"

"Oh, silly me," Silk smiled in mild contrition, "I forgot the way things are done in this land. Ryoga, dear boy, what have you been doing all night with Akane?"

"Uh…playing cards, Ma'am," Ryoga rubbed the back of his head sheepishly, "Um…it's kind of a long story…"

"Never mind that," Akane frowned, "Where is everybody? Were's Dad and Kasumi?"

"You sister left early to take some food she baked for that nice Doctor Tofu," Silk replied, "Your father is back in the dojo with your Uncle Genma getting a lecture from Comb, who is quite beside herself over all that excitement we had last night."

"Excitement?" Akane asked, "What did I miss?"

"Nothing much," Silk replied, "Your Aunt Nodoka came by and spent the night. She was looking to get reacquainted with her son, Ranma, and her clueless husband, that lout, Genma."

"Oh," Akane replied, then blinked her eyes and cried, "WHAT?"

"Oh, and I haven't told you the worst part of it," Silk leaned forward and said, "We're going to have to pretend for a while that Ranma is really your cousin Ranko, at least whenever Nodoka pays us a visit. You see, her husband-foolish male-made this little agreement that complicates things for poor Ranma…" and she began to explain the story in detail. It only took a minute for Akane to recover, and then she reacted in her usual calm manner.

"BUT THAT'S CRAZY!" she cried, appalled that any mother would even agree to such a hideous contract.

"Ranma would have to commit seppuku if his mother finds out he turns into a girl?" even Ryoga was dismayed at the idea. No fan of Ranma that he was, he at least had enough respect for a fellow martial artist to find such a thing as a suicide pact beyond the pale of what was right and proper.

"So you see," Silk finished explaining, "We must keep up the charade for a time until we can make Nodoka understand that Ranma is quite manly, in spite of the curse. Once she agrees to call off the pact we can then tell her the truth and Ranma can be reconciled with his mother. With any luck Nodoka will be satisfied just offing the panda. I always though Genma would make a nice fur rug…"

"But…" Akane glanced around, "Where is Ranma now…and his mother?"

"Oh, didn't I tell you?" Silk replied, "Goodness me, your sister and Shampoo went with Ranma and his mother back to her place. Ranma may be disguised in his girl form but at least by pretending to be your cousin he can get to know something about her. Nabiki and Shampoo insisted on coming along to see to it that he doesn't blow his cover."

"That makes sense," Ryoga frowned darkly, "Even Ranma doesn't deserve such a fate. I can't understand how his father could make such a deal, even if he isn't all that manly."

"You're twice the man he is, Ryoga-kun," Akane replied absently, glaring off into the distance, and thus not seeing the ecstatic look that crossed the face of her companion, "If anything happens to him it would devastate Nabiki. For the sake of my sister he'd better not blow it, the baka."

Silk nodded her agreement then smiled, "Now, maybe you might be willing to clear up a few points that I have for the both of you. Shampoo mentioned that Mousse attacked you, and that Jusenkyo water was involved in the attack. Would you care to elaborate on this before you explain things to your father?"

"What's there to explain?" Akane asked almost defensively, "He never told me he knew about Ryoga."

"Akane-chan?" Ryoga blinked.

"Never mind," Akane smiled, already thinking up a delicious way that she could turn the curse to her advantage regarding her easily upset and quite negligent father…

Nabiki's Journal Resumes:

The trip back to the Saotome place was a very odd one for the three of us as we escorted Ranma's mother on the bus back to her part of the Tokyo suburbs. Ranma didn't say a whole lot but you could tell from the way she was looking at her mother that the rude discovery that Nodoka was not only alive but certifiable was having an effect on my normally cocksure iinazuke.

And how could I possibly blame Ranma for feeling upset at discovering his father's deception, to say nothing of his gross negligence and stupidity in even agreeing to such a travesty as this suicide pact we'd all learned about the night before? I doubt Ranma got very much sleep the previous night, because I sure did my share of tossing and turning in bed. If it wasn't for the fact that Sham-chan-in her Neko form-had kept me company last night I doubt I'd have slept even a wink, and I needed my wits if I was going to keep from making a gaff around Nodoka.

Funny, I thought Comb was a real character, but my Amazon mother-in-law seems to be is a pillar of stability next to a woman who could actually offer to be a second for her own son's ritual suicide. The very idea makes me nauseous even now, hours after this all happened!

By mutual consent Shampoo and I were determined that Ranma would not face this thing alone, nor were either of us willing to leave him alone for five seconds in the company of his mother…or should I say her mother about here since we were keeping Ranma strictly female? Nodoka had chatted pleasantly enough with the both of us while managing to coax a few words out of "Ranko," and if it hadn't been for the continuous presence of that…THING she keeps wrapped up in cloth over her back…you never would suspect her of being a dangerous nut case! If anything her manners were so polite and impeccable that I could almost have believed that I was on a harmless trip with Kasumi!

Anyway, we saw Ranma's mother off to her place, politely declined her offer of hospitality when she asked if we might stay a while and enjoy some snacks she could whip up on the spot, even when she pleaded that she did not have company all that often. I was feeling a bit like those kids from the old fairy tale who meet the old witch in the forest and are invited in for some gingerbread cookies. Thank the Kami for Shampoo being so levelheaded and polite in backing me up because I really don't think I could have handled it all alone without flying into a rage at the idea that anyone would threaten the life of our mutual iinazuke!

Once we left Nodoka at her place, Ranma wasted no time finding some hot water and changing himself back to his regular male form. The change in body, however, did not produce an improvement in his state of mind because the guy looked so incredibly depressed that he could have reached up to touch bottom. It was all Shampoo and I could do to flank him in the hopes that he wouldn't try and do anything crazy.

"Ranma?" Shampoo finally ventured when neither one of us could take his silence any longer.

"Anything we can do to help?" I blurted out, feeling no less anxious than Sham-chan at the mood of our iinazuke

"Yeah," Ranma said gruffly, "Tell me I'm adopted."

I had to wince a little there before I was able to reply, "I'm afraid we're both out of luck on that score, Ranma-kun. Your dad and mine…well…I just hope it's not genetic…"

"Ranma nothing like idiot panda father," Shampoo insisted stiffly, "And mother craziest one of all. No can understand she make promise like that. Even Shampoo mother no abandon her like that when Shampoo go to live with Elder…"

Ranma made a short, rude noise at that and said, "Wanna trade? I'll take yours over mine any day, Sham-chan."

"Ranma-kun?" I asked, beginning to truly worry about his mood swings.

"How could he?" Ranma finally blurted out, "How could he do that to her? My own father…!"

"Do to her?" I blinked, wondering how he could be thinking this way about his crazy mother.

"Pop had no right taking me away from her for all these years!" Ranma all but exploded, "He lied to me, like he's always lied to me before, but this…!" I could hear the rage in his voice slowly change to sorrow, "It was bad enough what he did with Ucchan…"

Shampoo abruptly halted in mid-stride and took on the look of someone who had just heard something completely off-script being recited in a play. With rounded eyes she said, "Aiyaa…Ranma know?"

"Yeah?" Ranma turned to frown at her, "I know about Ucchan, so don't bother pretending like you didn't know. You can both drop the act about my 'old buddy' and that engagement Pop set up between us when he stole her pop's yatai."

"Shampoo sorry," Shampoo looked as contrite as she could, "No mean lie to Ranma…"

"Forget it," Ranma started forward again, "I ain't got time to worry about that. I'm just so bloody tired of always having to clean up Pop's messes! Everything that's gone wrong in my life is because of him, only that ain't the half of it! Not only did he curse me to turn into a girl, not only did he make that promise that I'd marry a Tendo, or the food he ate off that table that was supposed to be your prize…"

"What…you saying, Ranma?" Shampoo looked stricken, "You regret you marry Shampoo?

"Ah…yeah, Ranchan," I said, borrowing Ukyo's favorite line because it suited my mood more than my usual "Ranma-kun," "What's the deal? You're not saying you're sorry to be engaged to the both of us, are you?"

"It ain't you, Nabiki," Ranma turned around and looked at us, "And it ain't you either, Shampoo. You ain't my problem, either of you. You're both great girls, and it's been the one good thing in my life that I met the both of you, only how can I ask you to get hooked up with the likes of me? I'm nothing but trouble, a real jinx, and I cause problems to everybody who gets near me. Last night Akane got cursed because that idiot thought Ucchan was me, and then you got double-cursed for the same reason…"

"Shampoo no blame you for this, Ranma," Shampoo insisted, "It Shampoo choice to save Ukyo from curse. Spatula-girl no deserve fate, no even violent Akane."

"But don't you see?" Ranma said hotly, "It's my fault! I'm the one who Mousse was after! He was trying to douse me with that stupid bucket, only he got you guys instead! It's like this curse makes me hurt the ones I care about! I can't go back to face my mother like I am, I can't ever let her see me like a girl, and instead I gotta lie to her, and all because my Pop was idiot enough to make a kami-damned promise!"

"A promise he obviously never had any intention of keeping," I reasoned, "Just like he never intended on honoring his deal with Kuonji."

"But that's just the whole damned point!" Ranma declared in clear frustration, "He makes the deals, I have to live with them! He never even consults with me when he does this stuff, he just huffs and insists that it's my duty to do whatever he damn well tells me to do, and I'm sick of it! I'm sick of the whole stupid mess, and I'm sick of the fact that a lot of it is my damned fault! I mean, neither of you would be here if I'd thought before I did stuff, and maybe I'm just damned tired of having you guys pay for my mistakes, and not just the stuff that's clearly the old man's doing!"

"Maybe that just way is, Airen," Shampoo said, "Elder make rules, we follow them. Maybe when we Elders we make rules that no as crazy."

"But that's assuming we've got a future," Ranma said tiredly, "In my case I wouldn't lay good odds, not if Mom finds out I ain't all that 'manly'."

"You is manly man, Ranma!" Shampoo insisted fiercely, "We make you mother see that, and even as womans you very manly woman!"

"What Shampoo's trying to say is that we're there for you if you need us Ranchan," I seconded, "You don't have to do this thing all by yourself…"

"Says who?" Ranma said as he looked at us with sad resolution, "I wouldn't ask that of either of you no matter what happens. You don't deserve to get dragged around in any more of my garbage. I gotta handle this in my own way, and until it's settled there's no way I let either of you guys be responsible for any more bad stuff that might happen."

"What are you going to do?" I asked, fearing the reply meant that he was about to leave us.

"Aiyaa!" Shampoo cried, "You no to blame, Airen! Is stupid old man fault, no you, Ranma!"

Ranma heaved a sigh and said, "You guys are the best, I want you to know that I mean that. You've stuck with me through some pretty rough times, but it's about time I stop dragging you along through the mud with me. I need to put this all behind me before somebody really gets hurt, and the next time it might not just be some half-blind maniac with a pale full of cursed water."

He started to turn around and I felt like something was being pulled out of my chest. I opened my mouth intending to protest, but no sooner did Ranma take a step forward then something hit him right in the face and knocked him back on his kiester.

Both Shampoo and me stared down in mutual disbelief as the object that had taken down the great and powerful Saotome Ranma bounced back up into view, revealed for one and all to see as nothing more than a harmless plastic throwing disk…a Frisbee! Ranma wasn't really hurt so much as surprised at being so assaulted, for which I can probably attribute his being distracted with us as the best excuse for his uncanny reflexes having deserted him at that moment.

And then a pleasant feminine voice called out, "Oh, sorry about that! Are you hurt?"

Both Shampoo and me turned to see a pretty girl about our age approach, one who had long blonde hair done up in a pair of odangas, just like Shampoo save that the two curling lengths of her hair gave her the appearance of a large human rabbit. Sure enough, I was quick to discover, her name suited her looks, but what really caught my attention was the fact that Ranma sat up and exclaimed in surprise, "Usagi?"

The girl halted where she was and looked down, then said, "Ranma? Is that you?"

"Well, I'll be," Ranma got back to his feet, picking up the Frisbee and handing it to this newcomer, "What are you doing in these parts, Usagi? I thought you lived in the Jubaan district?

"And why shouldn't I be here, Cousin?" she grinned as she twirled the Frisbee on the tip of one finger, "After all, my friends and I love to come to this park whenever we want to have some fun together."

"Cousin?" Shampoo reacted.

"Friends?" I turned to see a group of four girls approaching us from a park we had been straying close to, four very unusual looking girls, one of whom was almost as tall as Tatawaki Kuno!

"Ah…" Ranma said sheepishly, as if just then remembering that we were present, "Cousin Usagi, I'd like you to meet Shampoo and Nabiki here. They're…ah…well…they're kinda like my…girlfriends…"

"Girlfriends?" the blonde named Usagi asked as she eyed us both, "Well, well! Don't tell me you've finally overcome your shyness around girls, eh Cousin? Way to go! Only which one is your steady?"

There was a simultaneous reply of "I am" coupled with "Shampoo is" from my companion, and then the two of us exchanged knowing looks and smiled together.

"Whoah…two girlfriends?" asked a girl with long dark hair, who was also looking us over, "In some parts I don't think that's even legal!"

"Oh my," said a girl who looked incredibly a lot like Akane in all but the calm and refined manner of her speech, "Your hair is very beautiful. Do you dye it?"

"Shampoo no dye hair," Shampoo said with a mild huff, then looked back at Usagi and frowned slightly, "You never been to China?"

"China?" Usagi asked with evident surprise, "Can't say that I have, but why do you ask?"

"You look like girl from Shampoo village," Shampoo explained, "Girl name Sash who warrior of Nyanchiczu…well, sort of."

"Someone else who looks just like Usagi?" asked another blonde who was so beautiful that she almost rivaled Shampoo for general cuteness.

"Now there's a thought to give Rei nightmares," said the tall girl whose brown hair was done up in a ponytail. The dark hair girl just stuck her tongue out at the tall girl in what I took to be a friendly manner.

"You guys," Usagi gave a chiding glance their way, then turned back to study us in more detail, "You said her name is Sash? I've got a cousin by that name, only I haven't seen her in years. Pardon me for asking, but did Ranma say your name is Shampoo?"

"That right," Shampoo nodded and looked firm, as if daring Usagi to make something about it.

"Xian-Pu," I hastily corrected, hoping to avert a potential catfight (I'll get to them in another minute), "It means Mountain Girl in Chinese…"

"Mandarin to be precise," said the girl who did look surprisingly a lot like Akane, "As opposed to Cantonese. You're an Amazon of the Nyanchiczu? I've read about you in books, but this is the first time I've actually had the privilege of meeting one of your people."

I saw Shampoo brighten up at the compliment, while Usagi made the introductions. Turned out the short-haired doppelganger for Akane was named Ami, while the girl with the long raven-dark hair was named Rei, while the cute blonde was Minako and the tall girl with brown hair was Makoto.

Makoto caught my attention because she was studying Ranma's profile for a moment before she declared, "Oh wow…you remind me a lot…"

Before she could finish her friends all chimed in, "…Of your old senpai, we know!"

The one called Rei made a rude noise and growled, "You say that about every guy we meet, Mako-chan, but I'm starting to wonder if this guy you claim you dated in middle school ever existed! He sounds way too cool that you could have just let him slip out of your grasp like that."

"Hey, I'm not making him up," Makoto said defensively, "And…uh…he was, is the coolest guy I ever hung out with, so stop picking on me about it already!"

"Yeah guys," Usagi chided her friends, "Besides, if you want proof that cool guys are around then check out my cousin here. Ranma's about the coolest guy I've ever known, except, of course, for…"

"Mamo-chan," the other four girls sprang in like a well-rehearsed chorus.

"Huh?" Ranma looked at the blonde with the rabbit-ear hairstyle, "You got a guy of your own, Usagi?'

"Sure do!" Usagi grinned hugely and flashed an engagement ring that she was wearing on her left hand, "He's off studying in America right now, but one day before too long he's going to come back into my life and then we're going to get married and have a wonderful life together!" That latter part was voiced with almost musical tonality.

"You don't say, huh?" Ranma said, "America, huh?"

"Count on it," the one named Minako replied with a boisterous grin that highlighted her already beautiful features, "It's virtually a done deal."

"Well, he'd better treat you right, Usagi," Ranma made a point of cracking his knuckles, "Or I may have to 'explain' a few things about how you treat my favorite cousins."

"Oh, you don't have to be protective of me anymore, Ranma," Usagi patted him on the hand, "It's sweet of you that you still think of me that way, but these days I can handle my own problems…"

"Oh yeah?" asked Rei, "Since when was that?"

"And besides," said Ami, "She has us to look after her. It's almost like a full time career…"

"Yeah," said Minako, "Only without the paid vacations."

"Oh yeah," Usagi slapped herself, "I'm such a ditz! I almost forgot, your mother came to stay with us for a couple of days, and she said she was looking for you…"

"My…mother?" Ranma suddenly lost his pleasant humor.

"Yeah," Usagi continued as if oblivious to his change in moods, "She said she had something important that she wanted to share with you, and she wanted to know if you were all right. I told her I hadn't seen you in at least three years but that I'd be more than happy to pass along the message. Are you still training with Uncle Genma?"

"Ah…" Ranma hesitated before waving to me, "Actually, we're staying with the Tendos these days, and Nabiki…"

"Yeah, what's the deal here with you anyway?" Makoto wanted to know, "One girlfriend isn't enough for you or something?"

"Hey!" Ranma said defensively, "It's not like that!"

"Ranma and I have an arranged engagement," I explained, "He's my iinazuke."

"Oh yeah?" Rei asked, nodding towards Shampoo, "Then what about her?"

"Ranma is Shampoo Airen," Shampoo said proudly, glomming onto his arm to emphasize the point, much to Ranma's awkward embarrassment, though he smiled at her and made no attempt to pull away.

"Promised husband?" Ami interpreted, giving Ranma a curious look, "Did you, by any chance, defeat her in battle or a formal challenge?"

"Huh?' Minako looked at her, "What's that got to do with it?"

"When an Amazon is defeated by an outsider male, she is obligated to make that man her husband," Ami replied succinctly, "Or so I've read about the legends of China. I think the rules are different if they are beaten by an outsider woman…"

"They are," I replied, but before I could elaborate, Shampoo detached herself from Ranma's arm and glommed onto me with obvious affection.

"But Shampoo decide she like Sneaky Nabiki Airen, so she keep her and Ranma," Shampoo happily announced, "No care about stupid Japanese custom say only have one Airen."

"Wow," Usagi said as she and her friends looked at us with rounded eyes, "I guess that means you're a lucky guy, Ranma. Never knew you'd grow up to be such a he-tom cat!"

There was a noise that almost sounded like a snort of dismissal, drawing my attention toward a black cat that had an odd moon-like crest on its forehead standing beside a white cat that had a similar marking. Maybe I've been hanging around with Shampoo for too long but I'd almost think that pussy was showing an almost human-like temper. Ranma jumped back a bit nervously upon catching sight of them, but Shampoo left my side and planted herself by his arm in a clear attempt to try and reassure him.

"Don't be like that, Luna," Usagi chided the cat, "I think it's sweet that you get along so well with each other, Cousin. A lot of guys would be envious about being in your position."

"Uh…well…" Ranma rubbed the back of his head with his fingers, keeping a nervous look out for the two odd cats, "It wasn't like I planned it or nothing…"

"Yeah, right," Rei sniffed, "I can just see how much you're suffering."

"Wow, this really takes me back a few years," the tall Makoto sighed, "I wonder what my Senpai would say about this?"

Something was nagging me as I looked up at this girl, and then I started to slowly make a connection. Very slowly I said, "Your Senpai…he…wouldn't happen to be named Kuonji Ukyo, would…he?"

That brought a surprised gasp out of the taller girl, "You know Ukyo-sama?"

"Ucchan?" Ranma blurted, "I don't believe it!"

"Ah…he's mentioned you by name," I hastily put in, "He and Ranma are childhood friends…you might even say they're bosom buddies."

"Oh yeah?" Makoto turned and gave Ranma a more neutral study, "You're the guy he was always looking for? I thought you were enemies or something…"

"It was a misunderstanding," I hastily put in for Ranma's benefit, "We got it all straightened up, and now Kuonji's…well, he…was well that last I saw…him."

I saw Makoto give me a slow and studied look before she softened and replied, "I'm glad to hear that. I've been wondering what happened to…him since we broke up. I hope…he's happy…"

"What's with all the hesitation?" Minako asked and glanced at her friends, who just shrugged in reply as it was obvious to me that they-unlike Makoto-were not privy to the secret concerning Kuonji's actual gender. I decided not to risk embarrassing the tall girl from that point on and quietly dropped the subject.

"So, Cousin," Usagi turned back to Ranma, "When's the wedding day? Have you already set the date?"

"Huh?" Ranma looked confused, then swallowed, "Well…ah…actually…"

"We were thinking about the end of the semester," I casually put in as if I had not just thought that one up on the spur of the moment, earning a dismayed look from Ranma and a curious glance from Shampoo, who was still holding his arm in a possessive manner, "Of course I'm not sure if I want to wait that long, so we could have it a lot sooner."

"Cool!" Usagi said brightly, nudging Ranma with an elbow, "Be sure and send me an invitation, I wouldn't miss this for the world! My girl-shy cousin growing up and getting married…how about that?"

"Ah…shouldn't that be my line?" Ranma asked, feeling along the edge of his collar, "When are you getting married…"

"Not soon enough," Usagi sighed, cupping her hands and acquiring a moon-lost look in her eyes as she said, "But one day my Mamo-chan will sweep me off my feet and carry me down the aisle and then we'll live happily ever after in our shining palace of Crystal…"

"Wake me up when this stops being nauseating," Rei complained, but I could see from the way she was looking at Usagi that there was a kind of sad fondness towards the other girl, and that the glow of happiness Usagi radiated was affecting even her abrasive nature.

"I'm glad to see you're so happy, Usagi," Ranma said, "If anybody deserves it, it's you."

"Now, don't be a wet blanket," Usagi teased Ranma with a lilt in her voice that was infectious, "Life is far too short to waste it being moody and sullen, Cousin. You should be like me, taking one day at a time whatever life throws your way. There's a kind of magic about destiny that gives you hope for the future, so no matter what you always remember to look on the bright side to everything. There's no point to be gained brooding around a lot and worrying about becoming a great martial arts master."

"You think so, huh?" Ranma said with a soft smile.

"I know so!" Usagi proclaimed almost imperiously, stepping back to grab the sullen Rei and intellectual Ami in her arms as she continued to chime with good humor, "And you know why I know each day will only get better than the last one? Because I have my friends to stand with me, and it's because of them that I can count myself a very lucky girl. Friends are a treasure beyond any price, and life would sure be a whole lot duller without them."

I saw the looks on the faces of the other girls and was amazed at the impression that I had of a very tight unity between them. I'd been vaguely aware that there was something special about these relative strangers, but now I could see that they shared a bond that went well beyond friendship and made them seem almost like a family unit, with Usagi at its center.

"And you're a lucky guy too for the same reason," she continued as she let go of her friends and came to stand before me and Shampoo, "You've got these two, and it looks to me like they're pretty special. I'm gonna have to hook up with you guys one of these days and get to know you both better, especially you, Shampoo…I wanna know everything you can tell me about my cousin, Sash."

"Aiyaa," Shampoo returned the other girl's smile, "Shampoo much like that."

"And you," Usagi turned to me, "Nabiki is it? Sounds to me like Ranma's hooked himself a pretty sweet deal here. I definitely have to learn more about you one of these days, if only to find out what kind of a girl it takes to draw out my shy cousin, Ranma."

The cat made another rude noise, and Usagi turned to look over her shoulder before she groused, "I'm coming, Luna…sheesh! You don't think I've forgotten already? Looks like we'll have to cut this reunion short here, Ranma, duty calls and all of that."

"Oh uh…" Ranma began to say when he glanced down at the two animals that had been prowling just on the periphery of his awareness. I could see the signs of his cat phobia begin to assert itself over his self-control again, but he managed to keep it down until we parted company with the five girls, and only after they waved their good-byes from a distance did he finally let it out with a stuttering, "C-C-C-C-CAT!!!"

"Aiyaa," Shampoo mused, "Shampoo notice was handsome male beside bad-tempered womans," she glanced sidelong at me and added, "Shampoo no very good Japanese, but she think she hear what dark Neko say, and it no very polite."

I decided not to speculate on that and instead turned my attention back towards my other companion, "How are you doing over there, Ranma?"

"Oh man," he was visibly sweating, "And just when I'd hoped I was staring to get over it…"

"These things do take time, Ranma-kun," I reasoned, "Don't try to rush things. So…how are you feeling?"

"Ah…other than this?" Ranma looked at us with a sheepish expression, "Not so bad…I guess that's 'cause I always feel better after spending time with cousin Usagi."

"What deal that?" Shampoo huffed, putting hands to her hips and scowling.

"Hey!" Ranma nervously chuckled, "I ain't into stuff like that! We're just friends, that's all. Back when we were little, when Pop and me used to come by to visit with the Tsukinos, Usagi and me used to play together, just like kids do, and stuff."

"And stuff?" I asked, hoping he would elaborate.

"Well…" Ranma added with a sheepish grin, "Back when we were little I used to have to protect Usagi on account of the fact that she was kinda refined and delicate, and other kids were always picking on her, so in a way I was kinda like her protector."

"That better be all is, Airen," Shampoo continued to mock-pout, then smiled and added, "Shampoo like rabbit-ears cousin. Hard believe she and Sash cousins…Sash trip over own two feet, is very dangerous be around her. She good in fight, but no let cook you meal, almost as bad as Akane!"

"Surely not that bad?" I smiled, feeling my own mood lighten considerably.

"So," Shampoo turned back in amusement, "What else you do with cousin, Ranma?"

"Other than behave like her fancy knight in armor," I added, feeling envious that any girl but me could enjoy that privilege.

"Yeah, well, I did kinda teach her some moves so Usagi could stay out of trouble when I wasn't around to protect her. She wasn't al that coordinated, but she had a kind of grace about her that made her almost seem like a princess. I decided I'd help out by pretending I was teaching her how to play a game while I was actually using what Pop had taught me about manipulating pressure points, helping teach her body how to move in a certain way whenever she got attacked. It's called 'Drunken Fist' style Karate..."

"Shampoo know this style!" our purple-haired dynamo said brightly, "Is like Shaolin Wu Shu, only make it seem you no have sense of balance."

"That's it all right," Ranma nodded, "It mostly consists of learning to bob and weave like a guy who's had too much sake. Pop says it was pioneered by sailors who had too much to drink and wanted to avoid falling off their ships in a storm. It makes it almost impossible for an enemy to predict your moves, let alone to nail you, so I figured Usagi could avoid getting hurt because the dodge-and-weave pattern is almost an instinct."

"But wouldn't that also have the effect of screwing up her normal sense of coordination and balance?" I asked, seeing what I thought was the flaw in his system.

"Naw," Ranma said dismissively, "You saw the way she handled that Frisbee. You think any ordinary piece of plastic could have nailed me like that? She's gotta have real talent."

Shampoo and I exchanged a knowing look between us and by mutual consent decided to drop the subject.

"So," Shampoo mused, "You no feel like running away now, Ranma?"

Ranma heaved a sigh as if recalling his previous worries, but when he looked at us it was plain that he was no longer so depressed, "I guess not, at least for now. Running away is the old man's solution to everything. If I wanna be a 'man among men' I might as well try acting the part. I just don't like the idea that I'm gonna have to lie from now on whenever I see my mother. Now that I know that she's alive…"

I saw the longing in his expression and felt a twinge of sympathy. After all, what would I have given if I could spend time with my mother, even if I had to disguise myself to do so?

"Running's all we ever did on the road," Ranma resumed with a kind of tired sadness in his voice, followed by a harsh snort of laughter, "Y'wanna hear a really sick thing? The old man's been telling me since I was just a little kid that there was this nasty old lady who was following us around and wanted to chop us up for her dinner. With all the folks that Pop's rubbed the wrong way over the years I figured there had to be some truth to it, so whenever he'd tell me this old lady was closing in on us it was his way of saying we had to move on and find a new place to hide. Over the years it got to be a habit, only now I know what he was really afraid of…all this time he's had been running away from my own mother!

It sounded as if he was about to sink back into a blue funk, which was something that neither Shampoo nor me were willing to allow after seeing him smile upon being reunited with his cousin. Instead we moved to flank Ranma as I took him by one arm and Shampoo claimed the other, then between us we started to steer our man towards the nearest bus stop, intending to trace our way back to Nerima, and not once on the whole trip did Ranma voice a single protest or claim to be embarrassed at our public display of mutual affection…

"Sasuke?" Kodachi demanded, glancing around in vexation as she heard the door ring once again without the little Ninja moving to answer. It was just like the wretch to take off on one of her brother's errands at a time such as this. What did he want to do, make Kodachi answer her own door like a common peasant?

Kodachi grumbled to herself as it became plain that whoever was at the door had no intention of leaving discouraged. She stalked up to the thing and yanked it open, prepared to give a piece of her mind to whoever was vile enough to disturb her during her researches…

Only the tart words died upon her tongue, to be replaced by surprise and overwhelming relief as she discovered who it was standing at the door looking distraught and quite unusually unhappy.

"Kasumi-chan?" she gasped, correcting herself in her mind that it should have more properly been "Kasumi-sama!"

"Kodachi-chan," Kasumi began hesitantly, "Would it be all right if I came in…just for a little while. I…need to talk to somebody…and I thought maybe you might…be willing to listen?"

Kodachi opened the door without a single word and watched as the taller girl came inside, hugging herself and looking miserable for no reason that Kodachi could determine (save that it caused her heart to lurch in her breast at the thought that someone might have brought tears to the older Tendo sister). With almost breathless anticipation she said, "My home is your home, Kasumi-chan. How can I be of service?"

Kasumi tentatively smiled, tears threatening to be shed at the corners of her eyes, yet somehow the warmth that Kodachi extended was making her feel so much better already…

Continued

Comments/Criticisms/Can this be love?: Shadowmane@msn.com