Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Two Wallets ❯ Under New Management ( Chapter 59 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A Tale of Two Wallets

(An Altered Destiny)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

The members of the Board of Directors for Kuno Industries all stared in dismay at the gap created in one wall to their meeting chamber, through one of their number had so recently made a hasty exit. They turned to regard the young man standing near the Chairman's seat giving them all a haughty regard as he said in low tones, "Are there any more questions?"

No one dared speak up in response to that inquiry, for none there were so suicidal as to brook the wrath of the young man who had demonstrated such a masterful command of the art of Kendo. He waved his bokken like it was a pointer and indicated one of the various chairmen, saying, "You there…you are regional director of our Pharmaceuticals division. Pray explain to me what you know of the various toxins that I have given you for examination. Are they, or are they not, derivatives extracted from the those horticultural nightmares that my father once did nurture with loving care in our family greenhouse, Phylum Nostrum Notcturnum, am I not correct?"

The Board Member so indicated cleared his throat and said, "Young sir…your father specialized in research to the possible medicinal uses of such rose pollen extractions, and a good deal of our research funds were invested into exploring such uses, but funding was eventually cut off when your father vanished on his sabbatical…"

"Answer my question," Tatewaki demanded with level-toned intensity, "Is the powder not such an extraction?"

The man sighed, then bowed his head, "I recognized the distinctive chemistry the moment it was under a microscope. The extraction juices were distilled from the petals of the black rose itself, mixed with extract from the pollen juice. It's a very refined mixture, obviously brewed with a great deal of care, but the proportions make no sense to me. It's as if someone was trying to create a resin-based narcotic similar to artificial compounds that can be brewed with more common ingredients…"

"And would you say that the person who created this mixture had an adequate knowledge of Chemistry and Botany?" Tatewaki asked.

"I would say they had knowledge of those fields, even a high degree of skill, but not up to the standards that any competent professional would approve of," the man concluded simply.

"I see," Tatewaki's gaze narrowed, "In other words it was created by my sister."

"Sir?" the Pharmaceuticals Head blinked once, "You can't possibly mean…"

"I can and I do," Tatewaki turned away, "It is as I suspected, or should have known had I been thinking more rationally about the matter. Kodachi must have borrowed our father's notes and refined his techniques on her own, creating a more specific version of the narcotic that he ingested, which drove him over the edge so long before. I am both appalled and impressed at the genius of my sister, but I cannot approve of the uses to which she has devoted her knowledge."

"Sir," the Head of Securities Management spoke up, "If your sister has been engaged in the illicit manufacture and usage of unprescribed medications, should we not report this to the proper authorities?"

"No," Tatewaki said with even temper, "I will not have my family name dragged down into the gutter by exposing our shame before others. I will deal with Kodachi in my own time and fashion. For now I have another matter that concerns me greatly, namely the question of where my father procured the mechanical contrivances that he used to assault both my fellow students and myself. I believe you are the one in charge of that division, correct?"

He pointed with his bokken at yet another Executive, and the division head of Kuno Munitions Manufacturing and Export cleared his throat and replied, "Ah…well…you see, young sir, your father gave his authorized approval to a number of rather exotic weapons systems that we are currently testing in our laboratories…"

"My father is no longer of concern to you or anyone else present in this chamber," Tatewaki informed him coldly, "He has been…how shall I put this? Relieved of his duties for the foreseeable future. I am now assuming full control as his son and designated heir as I am officially eighteen years of age and of sound mind and body, which same cannot be said of my father, who will be…convalescing in a special facility that will tend to his every need for the duration. I have already been in contact with the family attorneys and they have given their tentative consent to allow me to be named as acting Head of Kuno Industries, pending official confirmation of the terms his will, which was in force before his return from self-imposed exile. In effect I am now in charge of all my family's holdings…are there any here who would dispute this?"

The board members all exchanged nervous looks, then as one glanced at the new exit that had been created in the boardroom. They were not brave men as a given rule, being mostly either senior or middle aged, and some with company pensions that they were hoping to collect, assuming they lived long enough to retire in good graces.

For many present this was a most unsettling turn of events, for as Trustees for the Kuno holdings they had long been assured that the son of Kuno Godai would never be ruled fit to govern a corporation as large and influential as what they had built through their (in a manner of speaking) sweat and labor. All the accounts that they had heard regarding Kuno Tatewaki was that the boy was a fool and class clown who indulged in romantic fantasies best relegated to Samurai movies. He was an indifferent student with a poor academic record and a history of disruptive behavior that had all but insured that he would never amount to anything of real significance. They had been confident that the boy would be easily manipulated into turning control over into their hands when he came of age, having shown no real interest in the affairs of his family's business. Indeed, had any present seriously believed that the boy might attempt to assert himself one day there were more than a few present would have gladly arranged to see that this never happened.

Unfortunately it had happened, and now there stood before them a very serious and somber-eyed young man who was taking more than a little interest in the manner with which they had run this company. There was an intensity about this boy that almost suggested long-repressed intelligence, and it was an eerie feeling just being in the same room with him, the way he could rake you with his eyes and brow-beat you with his very manner. This was nothing like the boy that they had heard about in the reports, and if a word could be used to describe him many would have tentatively brandished the word, "Scary!"

Of course the alternative to accepting him in their midst would be to demand the return of his father, a man whose obsessive and compulsive habits were well known to everyone present. Not a head in the room had escaped the touch of Godai's razor, and while many were wearing hair pieces that came close to resembling their natural hair, there was no one who wanted to go through such a thing on a regular repeat basis.

Ah well, the men around the table collectively sighed, hoping that the boy's newfound intelligence would at least allow him to accept their expertise in the affairs or funning a major business. If they could persuade him to let them manage things under his oversight they could at least hope to salvage something from the situation, unlike their poor chairman, who would likely be leaving the office next door on a stretcher.

"I see," the boy said without smiling, nodding his head to acknowledge their silent acquiescence, "Then I take it you will not mind if I make a formal review of your various departments so that I may familiarize myself with all aspects of our company, including the products we manufacture and export. I should also like to see the stock portfolio pertaining to our investments in Mishima Heavy Industries. I am curious to know what other projects we are co-developing together. I want a detailed analysis of your departments, their operating budgets, present research projects underway, and anything else of relevance that I might have missed. From this point on I am not signing off on anything without first knowing before hand what wears the Kuno label."

Total dead silence followed this latest announcement as several swallowing noises could be heard, and more than a few began to wonder if maybe this really was such a good idea after all. More than a few would welcome the return of a firm hand to the affairs of their corporation while other would, in times to come, look back with regret that they let this young tiger into their midst without opposition, while several others would work to curry his favor, not watching to taste the lash of what they would refer to in time as "The Iron Bokken."

"Ah…" one hesitant executive spoke up, an early candidate for the foot groveling that was soon to follow, "Is there anything else you wish, Master Kuno?"

"Yes," Tatewaki replied as he scanned the room for signs of opposition, "I would also like to engage in a research project of my own, based on a rumor that I have heard which has captured my interest. I want you, the Department head of our Chinese investments, to make discrete inquiries about a place called Jusenkyo. I want everything you can find out on my desk by noon tomorrow. Oh, and I did mean discrete, by the way, as if I had better not hear any rumors flying about that might attract the wrong sort of attention from the Chinese officials. Are we clear on this?"

"Yes sir," the Foreign Affairs executive acknowledge, wondering privately why their new boss would concern himself with old myths and legends from superstitious peasants.

Oh well, he and a few others would sigh, every boss had his share of eccentricities, and who were they to complain as long as he continued to pay them…?

Kachu paused to turn a glance over her shoulder, looking towards the Tendo Training hall, before murmuring softly to herself, "My family…is very strange."

"I've noticed," Tofu said dryly, "But you get used to it in time."

"Not too soon, I hope," Kachu allowed herself a faint smile as she added, "I think I'm going to like it here in my new village, Husband."

Tofu smiled back at her and added to that, "At least it won't be dull, especially with your around to keep things lively."

Kachu half-snorted at this but hid her smile as she turned back towards the gates, her husband falling into stride with her as they headed back towards his clinic-her home, she thought with a certain eager anticipation…

Perfume watched the Devil Hunter and Tai Chi Healer leave before shaking her head in faint disbelief and wonder. The notorious Kachu, whom even Demons feared with cause, smiling and acting like a recently web bride? It was just one more incredible occurrence to mark a day that had already been chock full of and surprises. And here she had been half-afraid that this trip to a foreign land was going to prove boring!

She flashed a fond smile at her companion as Lotion squeezed her hand very gently, then turned back to regard Kuonji Ukyo and their fellow Amazons, who stood as a group apart from the others who would soon be departing the premises, some to go to the Nekohanten, others to head off on their own personal business.

"You ask me, you've definitely proven that you are either clinically insane or a person of rare virtues," Ambergris was remarking towards Kuonji in a light, bantering tone of voice, "I'll be charitable and pick the latter, though I dare say that I doubt that you are completely off the hook in your engagement to Shampoo's husband if his mother's favorable reaction is to be judged rightly."

"Ah…" Ukyo appeared uneasy, "I don't think I'd go along with it now after everything else that's happened. I'm just sorry I didn't get to totally cure anybody but Ryoga, but if the old woman-ah-I mean your Matriarch hurries back we can get at least Ranchan back to normal and maybe call that even."

"But if you help cure him you still have own curse," Lotion pointed out, "Is not very different you give him to Shampoo."

"And Shampoo other Airen," Perfume noted, "Lore Master Apprentice Nabiki."

"I know it doesn't make much sense to you guys," Ukyo shrugged, "But I wouldn't want Ranchan on those terms. Maybe Shampoo and Nabiki can get along sharing the same guy between them, but that's just not for me…"

"Who are you trying to convince of that?" Ambergris pointedly asked her, "Are you saying that three is a crowd and four is above your limit?"

"It's nothing like that," Ukyo shrugged, "I just can't see myself in a four-way deal with two other women."

"No understand boy-girl Spatula lover," Ling-Ling spoke up in obvious confusion, "If you no want marry to girl, why you get Nanniichuan curse in first place?"

"Is funny way no attract attention of womans," Lung-Lung agreed with an equally dubious expression.

"I'm with the Bobsy twins," Ambergris remarked, "If you've got a hang-up about same-sex relationships, falling into a spring that turns you into a gorgeous hunk isn't exactly the best way to go about it."

"What is Bobsy-twin?" Ling-Ling asked her sister.

"Donno," Lung-Lung shrugged, "Is maybe way say 'cute girl" in Japanese?"

"Look, it was an accident, I slipped and fell in!" Ukyo insisted, "I didn't deliberately curse myself, it just happened!"

Lotion turned to Perfume and asked, "Is how happen?"

"Perfume watch," Perfume shrugged, "See it happen, no say if accident or no. Maybe see on reflection and get careless?"

Ukyo rolled her eyes and shifted to Cantonese, "[Why doesn't anybody ever believe me when I tell them this?]"

"[Maybe because you've got a watchful admirer over there who doesn't seem to mind so much finding out about your true status,]" Ambergris responded in the same language, nodding over in the direction of Akane.

Akane saw Amazon heads turning to glance her way and hastily averted her own gaze. What could they be talking about anyway, and why did they have to pester poor Ukyo like that? It wasn't as if it was her fault she had that guy curse…it was all the fault of that stupid Shampoo and Ranma!

She turned back to regard what the Elder Lotion was doing, humming a weird tune to herself while directing her staff at the broken halves of Atsuko's umbrella. For a moment nothing had appeared to be happening, but Akane could almost swear that she was seeing things, or else the two pieces really were coming together!

Ryoga exclaimed his surprise upon seeing the finished product of the Lore Master's spell, for less than a minute later the umbrella was whole again with no sign at all that it had ever been sliced cleanly through the middle. He picked it up, handling the heavy metal-lined object with ease as he tested its balance, finding it almost as good as the umbrella he often carried with him in his travels. He turn turned and handed it to his mother, who took it in hand and examined it critically before smiling and bowing to Lotion as she said, "Thank you, Elder, it's good as new. I know that you could do it."

Lotion sighed as she leaned on her staff, then regarded the half-Oni woman with amusement and replied, "It's nothing, really…metal is harder to bond together than wood, but with a simple restorative spell the effects of molecular bonding can be simulated. You'll find it is now even stronger than you remember since I reinforced the bamboo fibers."

"Incredible," Nabiki remarked, "So you can repair objects like metal and wood…bet that comes in handy on occasion."

"On occasion, yes," the Elder smiled as she regarded her young apprentice, "Objects formed from natural substances have their own spiritual essence, which you must learn to attune yourself to if you are ever to perform similar feats with your abilities. It is not unlike affecting the flow of time itself to create an anti-entropic process that has many other interesting uses. For example, reversing the timeflow can allow you to undo a situation if you act promptly to separate the event from normal continuity. Things can assume a fluid state if you separate them momentarily from the normal binding forces that keeps matter in a solid state. The dissolver spell is one of the more advanced techniques that I hope I may be able to share with you one day, for it has the effect of eliminating the normal limitations that physical objects exist within…but you need not worry yourself on that today. Today you no doubt feel like celebrating because your iinazuke no longer lives under the cloud that threatened to shadow his existence."

Nabiki and Shampoo exchanged looks, then both turned to regard Ranma, who was quietly chatting with his mother in the dojo at her request while the rest of them formed smaller groups to engage in private conversations.

One such conversation was taking place right then with Comb and her husband, while Genma stood nearby watching the married couple converse in low tones while trying not to be too obvious about his own interests in their affairs. He could not help but stare at the man called Hairbrush and frown by a noticeable fraction, thinking silently to himself, "So…this is the guy she chose to marry instead of me…"

Oddly enough Hairbrush was thinking similar thoughts whenever he glanced back at Genma, once or twice meeting the panda-man's level stare with his own level gaze as he thought to himself, "So…that's the man whom Comb almost married…"

And then, as if both shared their thoughts by some synchronous art that both were unaware of, the words filled both their minds at the exact same instant, "He doesn't look like much! I wonder what she sees in him?"

"I know you think that I'm a bloody fool, husband," Comb was saying a moment later, unaware of his husband's wavering attention, "Making a protestation like that, threatening to take Saotome Genma on as your co-husband without consulting you, but I hope you do understand that I was only thinking of Shampoo and her husband."

"Of course," Hairbrush said pleasantly, giving no hint that his other thoughts had ever been directed towards Genma, "Why would I ever believe otherwise?"

"I know I…shared a history once with Saotome Genma," Comb looked away and not at the man eyeing her obliquely with pretended disinterest, "But I had thought I'd put all that in my past and committed myself to the family you and I have made together…"

"Comb," Hairbrush spoke up, "We've been married nineteen years, and I'd like to think we have a good working relationship. I've known you long enough to understand that you sometimes do things on impulse, but you always try to do what you believe is right for everyone. At the very least I can say that life hasn't always been dull around you, so I don't see that I have much to complain about. However…this Saotome Genma fellow worries me…"

"Oh?" Comb turned to look at her husband, preferring not to glance at Genma.

"Yes," Hairbrush replied, not bothering to conceal his glance towards Genma, "Your summation of his character has been borne out by the behavior I have observed in both his natural and cursed form. He is a man who avoids responsibility, who is obsessed with creating the perfect warrior, is shortsighted and myopic with a poor ability to express himself in all but the most melodramatic fashion. I am no doctor, but I do believe that there is a condition described by Psychotherapists that covers these symptoms…"

"Obsessive-Compulsive personality disorder," Comb said almost mechanically, then blinked her eyes and seemed to think a moment before she said, "And…you find that remarkable? Recall that he had Happosai for a mentor."

"Ah yes," Hairbrush nodded, "I suppose that does explain it…somewhat."

There was a long pause before Comb spoke again, "And you're wondering why I would even care what happens to such a person?"

"The thought had crossed my mind," Hairbrush shrugged, "But I suppose that is your business."

Comb blinked her eyes then said, "But…"

"I believe it's time that we return to Grandmother's place at the Nekohanten," Hairbrush remarked as he rose to his feet with the same casual ease that he might display in discussing the weather, "I'll gather the children and we'll meet back there soon enough. You should clear up some unfinished business here before we continue this discussion. I know you will do what you believe is right, like always, and you can count on my full support, as long as it doesn't mean a permanent move to this lovely suburb of Nerima."

"Ah…" Comb said, faltering as she seemed to be wracked with conflicting impulses, so that all she managed to murmur aloud was, "If you think that's best…husband."

He smiled at her fleetingly and murmured softly, "Wo ai ni."

"Wo ai ni," she said at the same low whisper.

Observing this from across the yard, Kodachi remarked aloud, "Well, it is easy to see who wears the pants in that family."

"Really?" Kasumi asked, "I thought they were both wearing pants."

Kodachi turned a fond smile towards the older girl and mused, "Your charm never ceases to amaze me, my darling."

Kasumi returned her smile with a fond expression of her own, "I do my best, and I'm happy if that pleases you, Kodachi-chan."

Kasumi picked up a tray that had many empty sake cups upon it and headed back towards the kitchen, not noticing the way Kodachi's eyes traced her movements with a certain hunger as she murmured, "Oh yes…you never fail to do that for me, Kasumi-sama…"

"My, those two certainly do seem to get along very well," Nodoka remarked from where she was chatting pleasantly with Silk and Soun, "Hitome's child is an even more radiant flower than she was at her age. Such a helpful young girl, and very well mannered."

"Kasumi seems to like her most of all," Silk agreed, "And her offer to help out financially will certainly be of benefit to you, Soun-chan. We must find some way to thank her for hosting the delicious supper we all enjoyed, don't you think?"

"Eh?" Soun said, clearly distracted as his own regard of the two young girls was anything but sanguine, and a sudden thirst for more sake was coming over him, though it was not quite as late as sunset.

Silk saw an opening and grinned like a mischievous young girl, causing Nodoka to smile as that expression reminded her so much of someone else she once had known. As smoothly as her name might imply, the young Lore Master said, "Don't be like that, Soun-chan. You should be happy, your daughter will soon be married to young Master Saotome, thus continuing the traditions of the Musubetsu Kakuto Ryu."

"Yes," Soun agreed, "It's good to have our dreams realized. At least one of my daughters will be able to carry on the tradition…"

"Speaking of which," Silk noted slyly, "Have you noticed how much Akane-san seems to favor young Kuonji-san? I think she is making her boyfriend, Ryoga-san, quite jealous."

"Eh?" Soun glanced dubiously in his youngest daughter's direction, just in time to catch Akane's smile at Ukyo, which earned a frown from Ryoga's direction.

"Yes," Nodoka smiled, "Now that you mention it, Ukyo-san does seem to be attracting a lot of attention by her presence. I wonder what this portends for the future?"

"I don't really know," Silk smiled, "I'm not half the precognitive that grandmother is, but I think that's what makes life so exciting."

Soun's frown deepened noticeably, but he continued to maintain his distance as if uncertain what, if anything, to do about the situation. He was so distracted that he almost missed Silk's next question, blinking his eyes as he asked, "Eh?"

"I asked if you would like to free-spar for a bit, Soun-chan," Silk repeated with the same pleasant humor in her expression, "Now that the girls have finished cleaning up and we've all had time to digest our dinner, I feel the urge to work off some of those calories with a friendly match, and since Comb seems to be otherwise occupied I thought maybe you might do me the great honor."

"Nani?" Soun blinked, not having expected such a request from the comely Amazon Lore Master.

"Oh my," Nodoka remarked, "Are you sure that's wise? Suppose you were to lose to Soun-san. He was very good in the old days, and if he beat you…"

"Your point being?" Silk's smile deepened, then she chuckled softly and playfully caressed Soun's arm, "Relax, it's just practice sparring. The normal rules about losing to outsiders only apply to formal challenges. Did you think we were such bad sports that we would always feel hurt, angry and resentful at meeting a better fighter? Practice doesn't count, not that I believe that I will lose, of course. I've kept myself in fairly good shape working out with Comb, so the risk for you is almost non-existent, Soun-san," she gave him a particularly sultry look and added, "Unless you are afraid that I will beat you."

"Afraid?" something sparked in Soun's eyes, an unknown touch of pride long buried by other emotions. He unconsciously puffed out his chest and squared his shoulders before saying, "Nonsense. I simply wouldn't want to make you look bad. It would not be…very manly."

"Oh, is that so?" Silk grinned impishly, but in her eyes could be seen the hint of her own pride being pricked by his statement.

Nabiki turned with a smile as she saw Ranma approaching and said, "What's up, Ranchan? What did your mother want to talk about with you anyway?"

"Ah, just stuff," Ranma shrugged his shoulders, glancing at Atsuko and Elder Lotion with the clear meaning that he wasn't about to discuss such personal topics before them.

The ancient Lore Master smiled and said, "I think I'll go see what's taking the Matriarch so long to complete her errand. You need to have a few words with your son, At-chan, in regards to a certain lady friend with whom he seems overly concerned at the moment."

"Oh?" Atsuko looked inquiringly at the Amazon Elder, then at Ryoga, who was glaring daggers at Ukyo, then towards Akane before saying, "Oh. Oh…I get it. Yeah, I think I'd better straighten Ryo-chan about some things like making good impressions on the ladies."

As the half-Oni wandered off in search of her son, Lotion paused to say, "Talk about the blonde leading the blind. It should be interesting to listen in on THAT particular conversation."

So saying she began to hobble off, leaving Shampoo, Nabiki and Ranma by themselves, sitting on the steps of the dojo and well out of earshot of any potentially interested parties. Once Nabiki was reasonably certain of this she turned back to Ranma and said, "Spit it out, Saotome, and don't hand us that line of bull about you not having anything much to discuss with your mother."

"What is stuff Airen talk about?" Shampoo asked alertly, "And Shampoo no want double talk, only straight answer."

"Ah," Ranma met the probing eyes of his two ladies with a sense that it would be a tactically bad move to refuse them. Placing a hand to the back of his head to rifle through his hair he replied, "If ya wanna know, it's about the wedding. Mom want's us to set a date for next month, only I kinda wonder if that's maybe a little too soon, it ya know what I'm saying."

"Too soon?" Shampoo asked, "Ranma no want marry Nabiki?"

"Hey, I didn't mean that!" Ranma hastily assured, seeing the slightly stunned expression on Nabiki's face as he amended, "I just mean…it's kinda like we're bein' rushed into things. I thought maybe a little more time to get used to the idea…"

"Why Ranma need more time?" Shampoo persisted, "Is Ranma saying he no want sleep with Nabiki and Shampoo for whole month?"

"What?" Ranma's expression became as blank as Nabiki's, "Uh…sleep? Y'mean like… together?"

"Like this morning, yes?" Shampoo eyed Ranma coyly, "Maybe you no enjoy as much as Shampoo thought Ranma enjoy self. Maybe you no think you perform good and want more time to practice?"

"Practice?" both Ranma and Nabiki asked in chorus.

Shampoo just smiled as she opened two buttons on her shirt, then reached in and pulled something out from her cleavage that she handed over to Ranma, saying, "Is present Shampoo mother want give to Ranma, ask Shampoo give Airen, maybe study if Ranma like?"

Ranma looked at the cover of the book with dumbfounded expression while Nabiki read the title aloud, "The Kama Sutra?"

"Is ancient Amazon techniques that Hindu steal from Amazons," Shampoo explained, "Warrior use techniques to help limber bodies through fun play, keep husband and wife busy making babies while still train together."

"Your mother has a very interesting sense of humor," Nabiki noted as Ranma opened the book and began to flip through the illustrated pages. Nabiki's eyes got almost as wide as his as Ranma examined page after page of body positions, some of which did not seem anatomically possible for a contortionist, a few of which made her feel weak in the knees on further consideration.

"Geez!" Ranma exclaimed after a few minutes of studying these pages, holding them up at different angles to get a better idea of what the people in those pictures were trying to accomplish, "Can you believe some of this stuff? It'd take us maybe a full month to try all of these out, doncha think?"

"A…month?" Nabiki blanched, and even Shampoo eyed their man as if suspecting his sanity, or maybe hoping he was only jesting.

"Ah…" Ranma suddenly became conscious of what he was holding in his hands and hastily closed the book up, crossing his legs and hoping neither of the two girls would notice a certain bulge just below his waist level, "Be sure and thank your mom for this. She's a pretty cool lady."

"Ah…" Shampoo accepted the book back from Ranma, making it vanish into the same deep gulf it had come from, "Shampoo know this…is good that Shampoo mother think so much of Ranma that she share family Bible…"

"Bible?" Nabiki looked at the Amazon with an odd expression.

"Shampoo father call it that," Shampoo shrugged, "Is some sort of joke he share with Shampoo-mother. Shampoo no try and understand, parents very odd sometime…"

"You don't know the half of it."

The three teenagers looked up in surprise to find Comb standing beside them, looking down at Shampoo with a hesitant, almost contrite expression.

"Mother?" Shampoo asked, surprised at both the expression and comment.

"Shampoo," Comb began softly, "There is something that I have been meaning to tell you for…some time now, and it's something I might as well tell you in front of your wife and husband. It concerns your grandmother…and the reason why you were raised in her house instead of with me and your father."

"Aiya?" Shampoo remarked, giving her mother a somewhat uncertain expression.

"Shampoo…" Comb glanced away and seemed to have some difficulty continuing, but then at last she said, "As you know by now…twenty years ago I was tribal Champion, and Grandmother's chosen heir. I trained under the old woman almost as long as I've been alive…just before my mother died in battle. I was devoted to her, trusted her, worked hard to become the warrior she wanted me to be, and in some respects I was almost as good as you are now, but I…lacked a degree of self-control that Grandmother believed that I would need as her successor. She claimed that my temper sometimes gets the best of me…and I won't argue with that as I do sometimes show less restraint than I would like."

The three teenagers said nothing in response to that, but all were reflecting on numerous instances and occasions when they had witnessed the Amazon Healer displaying flashes of temper almost worthy of Akane or Kachu.

"In my youth I had but one trusted friend who would stand by me through any hardship," Comb resumed, "Silk…for lack of any better term, is my best friend and often my companion in my travels. We have an understanding that goes well beyond our having trained together as warriors, as you trained against Perfume, so naturally we were both called upon to perform the same mission twenty years ago, when last we set foot in Japan and made the acquaintance of Tendo Soun and Saotome Genma.

"I won't bother to describe all of the adventures that we shared during the months that we were on that fruitless quest, but I will say that many changes came over us during that time, and it convinced the both of us that we were not suited to be Warriors. I heeded my calling and became a Healer, and she became a Lore master, and I went on to meet and marry your father while Silk had her baby. Of course it was not that easy for either of us to give up our Warrior status, as each of us had to first contend with the expectations of our Elders…" she paused then smiled lopsidedly, "Well, Silk had the support of Elder Lotion, but there were others of her clan who were less than happy at her choice. I was the one who had the more difficult task of convincing Grandmother that I would not be continuing as her successor. I'm sure you all can understand the resistance she showed to my decision."

There were slow nods from all around, though Shampoo continued to look up at her mother, evidencing little emotion other than surprise at these revelations.

"Grandmother did not want me to cease being her heir and tried to convince me that I could be Matriarch while still studying as a Healer. She was against my going to the capital to train in Western style medicine, maintaining that traditional Amazon Healing techniques were more than sufficient, but I won out in the end and earned my degree after many years of study. Your father helped me to get admitted to a qualified university after I demonstrated my academic talents in a proficiency test. None of this would have been possible, though, if I had not made a deal with your grandmother…an agreement I later came to regret since it meant transferring the responsibility as heir from me to your shoulders…"

"You mean you agreed that your firstborn daughter would become the heir," Nabiki supplied for her, then blinked, "And that's why Shampoo trained with Cologne? Because you agreed to allow it?"

"Agreed because Grandmother demanded it," Comb said, "Without my submitting to her terms she would never have given her support to my becoming a doctor. You were six years old when she came to call and demanded that I fulfill my part in our bargain. She judged that sufficient time for you to be weaned, and your sisters were old enough for your father to take care of them on his own while I was away in Beijing, so she told me that you would be living with her from now on as I wouldn't have time to care for you or train you by myself. It was…a very hard choice to make…and one I've cursed myself for making, but you know what Grandmother can be like. When that evil old woman makes up her mind about something then the gods themselves had better not stand in the way of her ambitions!"

"Old?" Ranma replied dubiously, recalling the youthful version of the formerly "withered old prune" that had been revealed by the Jusenkyo water.

Shampoo lowered her gaze and her face became momentarily clouded. Comb allowed her dread to come to the surface as she blurted out, "Shampoo, I'm sorry! I never meant for you to go through all the things that I went through when I was living with Grandmother! I should have fought harder, insisted on my rights as your mother, spent more time with you, even took you with me to Beijing, anything to keep that hag's talons from digging into you the way she used to dig into me! I was selfish and shortsighted, and I used you to buy my own freedom. I'm sorry if I hurt you…I don't have any right to ask that you forgive me, but this thing with Grandmother holding back the truth about Lotion…I swear to you that I knew nothing about this…"

"And what if had known?" Shampoo asked quietly, lifting her gaze to regard her mother with quiet intensity, "You no defy great grandmother when she demand Shampoo go live with her. You no tell Shampoo truth if you know it, hai?"

Comb's chin fell forward as she stared at the ground for a very long moment, then softly she said, "I don't know what I would have done. If Grandmother had ordered me to silence, as she had Elder Lotion…I'm not sure if I would have had the courage to defy her. But…but maybe I wold have, if only to help you recover from your grief. I watched how you suffered in silence Shampoo…how could I not weep for you? You are my oldest, my daughter, I would have died to spare you the pain you went through, the months when you seemed to give up on life and seemed ready to hurt yourself. Even Grandmother's wrath could not be more terrible than what I felt watching you suffer!"

"Shampoo…" Shampoo paused, then she looked up at her mother again and said, "Shampoo no see how blame you, Mother. Shampoo maybe do same thing if she in you place. Maybe no you fault, maybe we both blame great grandmother. She lie to both Shampoo and you, Mother. Maybe you tell Shampoo truth if you know, but Shampoo only know she miss having you around, Mother."

Comb looked up to see the tiny, hesitant smile on Shampoo's lips, and after a moment of hesitation she fell to her knees and put her arms around Shampoo, hugging her daughter tightly as she cried, "Shampoo…how I've missed having you around, my baby…"

"Maybe we start over," Shampoo murmured as she returned the hug, "It nice have mother again, and Shampoo no want go back to great grandmother. Shampoo no ready forgive, even though Shampoo think great grandmother maybe have justice already serve her."

"Eh?" Comb blinked, "What do you mean by that?"

"Ah," Ranma grinned as he spoke up, "You shoulda seen it! The old pervert got her good back in the dojo…"

"Let's just say she's not feeling quite herself at the moment," Nabiki hastily interjected with her own sardonic smile, "But when you see her again you won't believe how much she's changed! I think it's safe to say that Cologne is going to be having her fair share of problems in the immediate future and leave it at that, okay?"

"What are you three going on about?" Comb looked at their expressions with open confusion, "What happened to Grandmother and…what the devil?" She glanced over her shoulder, then rose to her feet as she saw Silk and Soun squaring off to face one another in the yard.

"Hey, what's up?" Ranma asked as he noticed the same thing, "What's your dad up to, Nabiki?"

"I have no idea, Ranchan," Nabiki freely admitted, "Is he gonna fight with her? Daddy! Have you lost your mind? That's an Amazon!"

"Mind your place, Nabiki," Soun called back without taking his eyes off his prospective opponent, "This is between Silk and me. Trust your father to know what he's doing."

"Trust…?" Nabiki was doubly surprised, both at her father's level tone and his serious expression, which prompted her to murmur softly, "That's supposed to reassure me?"

"What is she up to?" Comb remarked as she regarded her old friend suspiciously, "You kids wait here, I'm getting to the bottom of this right now."

So saying the Amazon healer stalked purposefully forward, intent on her goal when she suddenly encountered Lotion's staff in her path, which balked her forward movement.

"Let her be, Healer," the old woman said calmly, "I sense no wrongful motive in my granddaughter's actions, and you know that practice sparring without formal challenge is not binding."

"But…" Comb started to say when she caught a glance from Silk that appeared to her eyes to be smugly confident, and she growled softly, "She's up to something…I know that look!"

"But what?" Nabiki asked as she came to stand beside her mentor, "What's she doing with daddy if this won't lead to formal marriage?"

"Watch and learn, Apprentice," the Elder replied, "Sense with your heart and not just your head, learn to feel the flow and gain understanding of the greater purpose of what it means to be a Lore Master…"

"You ask Shampoo," Shampoo noted, "She want get Nabiki father interest in something else beside sparring."

"That too," Lotion nodded, "But who says that Silk can't have ulterior motives."

"Whoah," Ranma exclaimed as he studied the two prospective combatants critically, "Check it out! Looks pretty formal to me. You sure this ain't the real thing?"

"We shall see," the old woman smiled, silently complimenting her granddaughter for at long last following both her heart and head towards the same objective, thus finally fulfilling a destiny she had long ago forsaken…

Continued

Comments/Criticisms/Anime Expo 99 Convention News: Shadowmane@msn.com