Alice 19th Fan Fiction ❯ Healing the Heart ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

At 6:00, a bell rang to signal dinner. When Alicia and Chris arrived in the dining room, his father was seated at the head of the table…
 
“Wow! look at all the food!” Alicia shrieked.
 
…along with more food than Alicia had seen in a long, long time.
 
Chris shook his head. “I take it that you're hungry,”
 
Alicia blushed. “He he, sorry.” She walked to the table and sat in the seat that Mary had pulled out for her. Chris sat across from her.
 
The first part of dinner passed quietly. Chris and his father talked softly about different preparations that needed to be made for their guest.
 
Right before dessert, Chris made an announcement. “Alicia I've decided to enroll you in St. Paul Academy. I attend school there.”
 
Alicia jumped in shock. “What do you mean `you're going to enroll me?'” she said disbelievingly.
 
“While you are here, you should continue to get an education.”
 
Several expressions flew across her face. Shock, fear, and…sadness. “I can't go there! I just can't…” She ran out the door and down the hall. Chris started after her but was stopped by his father
 
“Let her calm down first.” He advised. Chris sat back down and picked at his dessert.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Alicia ran through the hallway, not knowing or caring where she was going. “They can't make me go. Not back there. I won't let them.”
 
She ran until she ended up in front of the door to the music room. She went in quietly and took in all the different instruments.
 
Alicia inspected all the instruments in turn until she came upon one she was familiar with. “Ah, a violin.” She plucked the strings and cringed at the sound they made. “An incredibly out-of-tune violin. Guess I should tune it.”
 
Once in tune, she began to play a melody. One that had not been heard in many years.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Chris started to look for Alicia. I was past nine and no one had seen her since she ran from the dining room. She wasn't in her room, the library, or by the fountain. Suddenly, his ears picked up a soft melody.
 
He followed the song to the music room. Making sure he was quiet, he entered the room. By the window stood Alicia, playing the violin with her eyes closed, in her own little world.
 
Chris waited until the song had ended had ended and she set the violin down to approach her and put a hand on her shoulder.
 
“Are you all right?” he asked.
 
“She sighed. “No, but I will be.”
 
“Why do you not want to attend St. Paul?”
 
Alicia opened her eyes and gazed out the window. “Do you remember the orchestra teacher, Mrs. Maxwell?”
 
“Yes.” Chris replied. “She was found dead in her house with a gun in her hand about five years ago. Everyone thought it was suicide.”
 
She shook her head. Chris had no subtlety. “She was my mother. I was the person who found her.” Alicia began to cry softly. “She was killed by a gunshot to the back of the head. It wasn't suicide.”
 
Chris was starting to get why Alicia sometimes gave off a cold and distrusting aura. She had lost her mother even earlier than she had to some psychopath. “What about your father?”
 
Alicia laughed bitterly. “Him? He got remarried six months later.”
 
“I take it that is why you don't want to go home. Those memories must be painful…” Chris started.
 
“No. They make me perfectly happy.” she said sarcastically.
 
“…but you still shall attend St. Paul Academy.”
 
“Even after hearing that, you're still going to make me go?!” she screamed.
 
“St. Paul is one of the finest schools in Europe. I can enroll you under a false name if you wish so people won't badger you.”
 
Alicia glared at Chris. Unfazed, he said “As long as you stay here, which you shall be doing for a while I take it, you shall go to school.”
 
“Fine.” She huffed. “But I would like a different last name.”
 
“Good, we'll go see the headmaster tomorrow.”
 
“Now, since you know more about me, let's learn more about you.” Alicia said.
 
“Fine. What do you want to know?”
 
“How did you heal me?” she may have been momentarily distracted, but she hadn't forgotten how all of this started.
 
“I used the Lotis.” When he got a confused look, he resigned himself to explaining what the Lotis words are. “The Lotis are the words that hold all positive feelings in life.”
 
“Okay. I think I understand.” Alicia didn't get it at all but she had a feeling she would find out very soon. “So how many words do you know?”
 
“I've only learned five words so far.” He glanced down at his bracelet.
 
Suddenly, Alicia yawned. Chris looked at his watch. It was 10:30. he smiled. “I guess all the excitement wore you out.”
 
“Mm hm.” She sighed and leaned her head on Chris' shoulder. “Carry me?”
 
“Okay.” He lifted her onto his back and carried her back to her room. When he got there, he placed Alicia on her bed and pressed the intercom. “Mary, please dress Alicia for bed.”
 
Before he left, he placed a light kiss on her forehead. “Goodnight Alicia.”