Fan Fiction ❯ "Along came the Spider" ❯ Changes ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Teen Titans and Marvel
 
Changes
Peter didn't know what had happened to him after he was knocked unconscious, but his body had started to hurt real badly; it felt like his muscles were on fire and were about to explode. Peter couldn't even move, because the pain was too unbearable; he couldn't open his eyes either, all he could see was darkness. But, he was able to feel that he was being moved around; Peter can feel that his body is getting worse and worse. Then, the movement had stopped; even though Peter can't see anything, he was able to hear voices; familiar voices.
 
Will he be alright?
 
I'm not sure, Star.
 
Dude, it was only a spider-bite. How could a bite be able to knock him out?
 
That may be true, but that was no ordinary spider.
 
Raven is right, that spider must be one of the experimentations. We need to make sure that the bite didn't do any harm to his body.
 
That's weird…
 
What is it, Cyborg?
 
Half an hour ago, his body had suffered a lot of tremendous pain in his muscles. But now, my scanners say that he is going to make a full recovery in an accelerated rate. He'll be up and running sooner than I thought.
 
Whoa! But, how did that happen?
 
I'm not sure; maybe the venom worked its way through his system. He'd probably sweated it out somehow, but we need to keep him here a little bit longer, just in case.
 
Cyborg's right, we don't know what that spider-bite did to him. As soon as he wakes up, we'll have to make sure that nothing bad is going to happen to him.
 
So, we have to baby sit him?
 
Just until were absolutely sure that he'll be okay, Raven. But, for now, we need to keep an eye on him.
 
Hey, guys? Doesn't he seem…a little-bit bigger to you?
 
 
 
Moments later, the pain had subsided; his muscles have finally relaxed since that awful pain in his body. He is now getting comfortable, like he was lying on a soft bed. Peter was now able to open his eyes; his vision was a bit blurry, but, seconds later, it was now starting to clear up. He could see a white light on top of the ceiling; could he be dead? No, Peter can see clear enough that it was just a light bulb, but where is he now?
As Peter stood up, while still sitting on the bed, he winced when his head started to hurt; Peter rubbed his forehead to ease the pain. After his head had stopped pounding like a hammer, Peter looked around at his surroundings and wonder where he is now. It appears that he is in a hospital room, but he thought otherwise as he gazed at a giant computer monitor that was on his left side of his bed; the monitor looked too high-tech for any hospital to afford. Peter gazed at his right side and sees a small table next to his bed, and on top of the table were his glasses. As Peter stood up from his bed and grabbed his glasses from the table, he spotted a mirror hanging on the wall in the right-hand corner of the room. As he walked towards the mirror, Peter put his glasses back on to his face, but to his surprise, his vision was now blurry when he put them on. He took them off and his vision was clear again; thinking that he was being hallucinating, he put back his glasses on just to make sure that his eyes were not playing tricks on him, but his vision was fuzzy again. There was no question about it: not only could he now see better with the glasses off, he could see perfectly with the glasses off. As Peter stopped in front of the mirror, he took off his glasses and set it aside on top of the counter thinking that his vision had come back and he doesn't need them anymore, but how did that happen? As Peter looked up at the mirror, he was surprised to see himself that he was shirtless, but that wasn't the part that surprised him; his upper body is now…muscular?
 
Peter: (Looking at himself in the mirror) Whoa. How did I get so buffed up?
 
 
 
Peter looked at himself in the mirror like he was a whole-new different person. It wasn't the frame of a bodybuilder, not hugely over-muscled. But he was definitely ripped. There was serious muscle definition, as if he'd been working out steadily for weeks on end. His stomach was hard and washboard flat, his gut in the muscle cutout commonly referred to as a six-pack. He flexed his muscles to see if they were real. Still not believing what he sees, Peter pinched himself just to make sure it wasn't a dream. OW! Nope. He's not dreaming. Peter, still admiring himself in the mirror with astonishment, has no idea how this happened, but he started to like it already. Peter, who was being too busy looking at himself in the mirror while flexing his muscles, didn't notice hearing the door being open.
 
Starfire: (Eyes widened as her face turns red) Oh my! I'm I… interrupting something?
 
Peter: Huh? (Turning around to see somebody standing by the door; Peter was startled and shock with embarrassment while screaming like a girl) Yaaahhh! (Covering his upper body with a blanket that he snatched from the bed) Uh, hi?
 
Starfire: (Her face back to its original color) Forgive me; I wanted to check if you are feeling better.
 
Peter: (Grinning nervously) Yeah, I'm feeling a lot better now. Thank you.
 
Starfire: That is wonderful.
 
Peter: (Looking around the room with a questioning look) Uh, what just happened to me and where am I?
 
Starfire: When you were about to take a photographic picture of us, you were bitten by an Arachnid creature that Robin believes it was one of the “experimentations” and you fell unconscious. Then, we've immediately taken you to Titans Tower, which is the place that you are in now, to give you medical treatment. I am glad that you are feeling well.
 
Peter: (Made an astounded look) I'm in the Tower?
 
Starfire: Yes.
 
Peter: (Still astounded) The Titans Tower?
 
Starfire: Yes.
 
Peter: (Even more astounded) The same Tower that the Teen Titans live?
 
Starfire: (Confused and worried) Y-yes?
 
Peter: (Excited) That…is…so…COOL! I can't believe it! I'm actually in Titans Tower! This is so awesome! Harry is not going to believe when…I…tell… (Realizing that Peter's friend, Harry, was with him during the whole unconscious thing) Hey! What happened to Harry? Is he alright?
 
Starfire: Do not worry about your friend; we have taken the liberty of escorting him back to his home where he will be safe. But, it seems that your friend was deeply worried about you when you were unconscious. He insisted of coming with us to insure that you are safe, but we told him that you will be in good hands.
 
Peter: (Chuckled a little) Hehe. Yeah, that's Harry alright. He's always like a big brother to me. I wouldn't have gotten through High School without him.
 
Starfire: (Smiled with the thought) Your friend sounds very caring towards you.
 
Peter: (Nodded in agreement)
 
Starfire: Well, would you care to join my friends and myself to the room of the living?
 
Peter: (Confused) Room of the living? (Thought it over for a second and realized what she meant) Oh, you mean the living room?
 
Starfire: (Blushing for a tiny mistake she made) Oops! Yes, that is what I meant. Robin has told me that once you are awaken that I shall retrieve you to join with us.
 
Peter: Uh, okay. Just let me find my shirt and I'll be there in just a sec.
 
Starfire: Alright, I will be waiting for you outside the door once you are ready. (Walked out the door and closed automatically)
 
Peter: (Excited) Wow. I can't believe I get to hang out with the Teen Titans. This must be my…lucky…day? What the…
 
 
Peter didn't notice that his hands were open, but they were still stuck with the blanket that he was holding. Peter tried to shake it off, but the blankets were still grasping at Peter's hand, not letting him go. Peter, then, pulled the blanket off of his hands, but it kind of felt like he was pulling out duck tape off of them. After Peter finally removed the blanket off of his hands, he looked at them closely to see what caused his hands to get stuck like that. He didn't see anything wrong, so Peter shrugged and put on his shirt as he walked outside to meet Starfire.
 
Moments later, Starfire lead Peter through the halls of Titans Tower; Peter looked around and was so astonished that he couldn't even speak, let alone have a decent conversation. Peter is both excited and nervous at the same time walking side-by-side with Starfire, a member of the Teen Titans. As they reached the door at the end of the hallway, the door slid open automatically when both Starfire and Peter were a few inches near it. As they stepped through the open door, Peter looked around with amazement; this is one heck of a living room. In the middle of the room, Peter could see Cyborg and Beast Boy sitting on a semi-circle couch playing their video game on a huge T.V. screen. Big screens are like insects compare to this thing. The room is huge; not even Harry, his best friend, would have a living room this big.
Robin can be seen sitting close to the kitchen table and typing something in his laptop computer; he looked up from his computer and sees the now awaken teenager walking in the room with a look of amazement. It seems that Robin is the only person noticing the boy entering the living room while Cyborg and Beast Boy were too busy playing their Gamestation and Raven is too preoccupied with her book. Robin stood up from his chair and was the first one to greet him.
 
Robin: (Walking towards Peter) Hey, you're awake. How are you feeling?
 
Peter: (Becoming a little nervous) I'm fine, thank you, Sir.
 
Robin: (Eyes Widened with surprise) Sir? Oh, dear god, don't call me that! We're both teenagers here; just call me Robin.
 
 
Just then, Cyborg and Beast Boy looked away from their game to see Robin talking to the young boy. They both set their controllers down and walked up to their new friend. But Raven was still sitting on the couch and not taking her eyes off of her book.
 
Beast Boy: Hey, wuz up, dude? You're looking a lot better.
 
Cyborg: Yeah, any change?
 
Peter: (Looking at himself, then looked back at them and smiles) Mmmmmm…maybe just a little.
 
Robin: That's good to hear. If you don't mind, we like you to stay here for awhile, just to make sure nothing's wrong with you.
 
Peter: (Made a questioning look) Huh, why? What's wrong with me?
 
Cyborg: It's nothing serious; it's just that we don't know what that genetically-altered spider did to your body after you were bitten by it. My scanners say you're normal, but I may have to run tests, just in case if you're having a bit of a slightest problem with you.
 
Peter: (Understanding) Oh, I see.
 
Beast Boy: (Trying to cheer up Peter) Hey, dude, don't worry about it. It's not like you're gonna grow an extra 4 limbs or something. Besides, look on the bright side, at least a fan like you will get to hang out with your favorite teenage super-heroes.
 
Peter: (Smiles) Yeah, that sounds cool. Is it alright if I call my Aunt and Uncle to let them know that I'm okay?
 
Robin: Sure.
 
Beast Boy: (Handing Peter his cell phone) Here, you can use my phone.
 
Peter: (Grabbed the phone from Beast Boy) Cool, thanks. (Looking at the phone carefully) This phone looks cool, man.
 
Beast Boy: (Nudge at Cyborg) See? I told you my phone is the best.
 
Cyborg: (Looking down at Beast Boy with an annoying look) He was trying to be nice. What he means is, “this phone is a peace of garbage, but I don't want to say that in front of him.”
 
Beast Boy: (Irritated by that comment)
 
 
After Peter grabbed the phone from Beast Boy, he walked to the other side of the room, near the kitchen, away from the group of the Titans so he can talk on the phone in private. As Peter dialed the number on the phone, he held it up to his ear and stood near the kitchen counter waiting for someone to pick up on the other line. Then, there was a sound of the phone being picked up and could hear an old women speaking to someone.
 
Old Woman's Voice: Hello?
 
Peter: Aunt May? It's me, Peter.
 
Aunt May's voice: (Sounded worried) Oh, Peter! Ben and I just heard the news that there was a disaster at the University that you were at. We were so worried that you could've gotten hurt. Are you alright? Have you gotten hurt? Are you…
 
Peter: Calm down, Aunt May. I'm fine. Everything's okay now; I'm at…a friend's house right now, where it's safe. I'll be coming home in a little while, so don't worry.
 
Aunt May's voice: Oh, Peter, thank heaven. We thought that you were hurt or worse, but I'm glad that you are safe. Just be careful when you come back home, dear.
 
Peter: (Smiled) Alright, I will. I'll see you at home later. Bye, Aunt May, I love you.
 
Aunt May's voice: I love you, too, dear. Bye.
 
 
Peter didn't like to lie to his Aunt like that, but he doesn't want her get even more worry than she is now. As Peter could hear the phone from the other line hung up, he pressed a button to turn off Beast Boy's cell phone with his thumb and set it on the counter. But, as Peter was about to walk away from the kitchen, he felt that his right hand were still holding the cell phone. He looked down at his right hand and, to his surprise; the phone was stuck on them. Peter tried to shake it off, but to no avail.
 
Peter: (Confused and irritated) What the…? Oh, for the love of…not again!
 
 
But, it kind of looks like that the phone was stuck on his wrist instead of his palm and fingers. He pulled the cell phone from his wrist with his other hand, but, to Peter's surprise, the phone was attached to some sort of a…sticky-string? As Peter pulled the phone further away from his wrist, he was now starting to get worried. Not only the phone was attached to a string-like thing, but the string came from his forearm. Peter couldn't believe what he was seeing right before his naked eye. What's happening to him? Is like, weird things started to happen to Peter. First, his eyesight came back, which was okay. Second, he got muscles, which was the greatest change that has ever happened to him. Third, his hands were stuck on a blanket, which he thought it was just static electricity. And finally, a string is coming out from the inside of his forearm; which is now starting to freak Peter out.
Was this the “problem” that Cyborg was talking about? What did this spider-bite do to him? Is he going to turn into some sort of a freak? Peter was now filling his head with questions that he was starting to get worried.
 
Peter: (Eyes widened as he looked at the string) Ooookay, it's just a minor problem. There is no reason to show the Titans about this, unless there was something really, really wrong with me, right? Yep. Yes-siree. Nothing to worry about. I'll just pull off the phone from this…thing, and…
 
 
Just then, as Peter pulled off the phone from the string, the string-like substance shot out further and attached to a can of soda that was sitting on a table next to Robin's laptop computer. Peter's eyes widened with shock as he just made it worst; he looked at the group of Titans across the room to see if they witness this turn of event. Luckily, nobody saw a thing; they were talking amongst themselves and not noticing the string-line across from the kitchen to the table. Peter glanced at the couch to see if the Goth girl saw him; Peter sigh in relief, she is still burying her nose in her book. Without hesitation, Peter retracted the string by pulling it as hard as he can towards him before anybody sees him. But, by pulling it back too hard, the string, along with the can of soda, soared straight back at Peter in a quick speed. Peter quickly ducked before the can could ever smack him in the face; it hit the wall and then landed on the floor while spilling the liquid-soda all over it. The noise of the can attracted the young super-heroes as they turned around to see where the noise came from. They see Peter making a wide-dorky grin as he waves at them innocently; Robin was the first one to speak.
 
Robin: (Questioning look) What was that?
 
Peter: (Still grinning while rubbing his hand on the back of his head) Uh, nothing. I was just…uh…looking for something to…EAT!
 
Robin: (Raising one eyebrow with suspicion) Ooookay. There are some snacks in the cabinets. Make yourself at home.
 
Peter: (Sigh in relief) Thanks.
 
 
As the Titans went back to their usual routine, Robin walked up to the table where his laptop computer is sitting on. But then, Robin notices that something was missing that was sitting next to his computer.
 
Robin: (Surprised) Hey, where did my soda go? I know I remember leaving it here. (Scratching his head to figure out where his soda had gone.)
 
 
Peter ignored that comment from the Boy Wonder and went through the cabinets of the kitchen to get something to eat. Somehow, for Peter, he was feeling a little bit hungrier than he thought after he woke up from his unconscious state. Just then, Raven snapped the book shut and stood while placing her book on top of the table; she walked towards the kitchen, aware that the Titans' new friend was opening cabinets to get something to eat. Raven stood near the kitchen counter and prepared the tea kettle to make herself some Herbal Tea. She glanced at the young boy and notices something different about him, but it wasn't physically, it was sort of mentally. Peter, who's also notices that Raven was looking at him, glanced over his shoulder to see Raven filling up the kettle with water and putting it on top of the stove while staring at him.
 
Peter: (Made a nervous smile and gave a friendly wave to Raven) Hi, there.
 
 
Raven did not reply to Peter's friendly greeting; instead she kept staring at him to figure out what makes this boy so different to her. Raven finally snapped back to reality and started heating up the kettle while she was thinking to herself. Why is she being so suspicious about this boy? The first time they met him, he was just an ordinary nerdy boy, but now, his presence is starting to make Raven act suspiciously over him. She shrugged off the thought; it was probably nothing, he still looked like a nerd to Raven.
Peter wasn't offended by Raven unanswered reply from his greeting; instead, he continued looking through the cabinets for food, and finally realized that there wasn't any. Each cabinet that Peter looked through was either collecting dust or full of cob webs all over.
 
Peter: Jeez, when's the last time they went out grocery shopping? Three years ago?
 
 
After the boiling-water is hot enough to be ready, Raven poured the water into a mug and put in the teabag. She walked back towards the couch while carrying her mug with her; Raven walked passed Peter not even taking a glance at him.
Suddenly, Peter felt a tingle on the back of his head; Peter clutched his head in pain. He didn't know why his head was acting up like that, but, suddenly, his head was warping all over his surroundings like he is looking all over the room without moving an inch. Peter looks to his right in confusion, sensing something was wrong or is about to happen. Then, he looks down to see a liquid-soda spilled all over the floor; he looks up to see Raven was about to walk on the wet floor. Peter's eyes widened as he realize that Raven was about to slip on the wet floor.
Just exactly as Peter's precognition had been told, Raven stepped on the wet floor and slipped through the air along with her tea. The rest of the Titans turned to see Raven up in the air as their eyes were widened and their mouths gaping open in shock as Raven is about to plummet down to the floor. Luckily, Peter's body reacted to the situation, but his mind wasn't even in control of it, as he caught Raven from behind before she fell and instantly caught the mug before it crashed to the floor; not a single drop of tea was spilled from the mug. The Titans were amazed how quickly Peter saved Raven from her fall.
 
Beast Boy: (Astounded) Dude! Nice Reflex! That was awesome!
 
Cyborg: (Looking at the scene with a dumbfounded expression) Yo, man, how did you do that?
 
Peter: (Questioning look while still holding Raven and the mug) Do what?
 
Robin: (Eyes widened with amazement) Catching Raven in a split second. Not even my trained eyes were able to keep up your speed.
 
Peter: (Clueless of himself) I'm not sure.
 
Starfire: (Cheery and clapping her hands) Glorious! You have saved Raven from her fall.
 
Raven: (Blushing while still being hold) Um, thanks. You can let go now. (Speaking in monotonous)
 
 
Peter finally realized that he was still holding Raven as he met his gaze towards her. Peter's face turned into a crimson red as he set Raven down on the floor on her feet. Peter made a nervous grin and extended the mug to Raven.
 
Peter: (Nervous and sheepily) Eh heh…sorry…um…here's your tea.
 
Raven: (Her face in seriousness as she took the mug from Peter) It's alright. Thanks for catching me.
 
Peter: (Making a nervous grin and rubbing the backside of his head) Um, no problem; glad that I be of help.
 
 
Robin was now getting awfully suspicious over Peter; he noticed a few changes about him. To Robin, Peter looked a little bit bigger than he was when the Titans first met him at the University. Then Robin notices that Peter wasn't wearing his glasses; without them, Peter doesn't seem to look like a nerd anymore. Somehow, Peter was actually different when he walked through the door and Robin, at first, didn't recognize him. Could his change have something to do with that Spider-bite? If so, then what else did that bite do to him?
Suddenly, the Titans heard a low growl coming from somewhere around the room. They looked around the room to see where the noise came from; then, when another low growl noise was heard again, they turned their heads towards Peter, who was clutching his stomach and made a nervous grin.
 
Peter: Heh…eh…I guess being unconscious for awhile had made me hungry. But you guys have absolutely no food in here.
 
Robin: (Embarrassed while rubbing the backside of his head) Uh, yeah. I guess it's been awhile since we went out grocery shopping and gotten ourselves a nice decent food.
 
Raven: (Raising an eyebrow and glaring at Robin) Awhile?
 
Robin: (Admitting) Ok, maybe a year or two.
 
Peter: (Ecstatic) I knew it! Wait, (Making a confused look) how were you guys able to get something to eat?
 
Cyborg: (Smiled) Well, we sort of order take outs and most of the time, we go out for pizza.
 
Beast Boy: (His face lit up with joy and excitement) Dudes! That gives me an idea!
 
Raven: Did it hurt? (Made a smirk)
 
Beast Boy: (Irritated by her comment) That was not funny! Anyways, (Getting back to being excited) lets invite him over to the pizza parlor.
 
Robin: (Agreeing with Beast Boy) Yeah sounds like a great idea; for once in his life. (Turning to gaze at Peter) Would you like to come with us, Pete?
 
Starfire: (Cheery mood) Oh please, friend. It will be great for one who honors us so much that he spends time with his new friends.
 
Peter: (Smiled with enjoyment) Yeah, sure. That'll be awesome, thanks.
 
 
For the first time in Peter's life, he was happy to have his favorite heroes becoming friends with him; even if they were looking after him to make sure he was feeling better. For some reason, Peter feels that he is more confident than ever before and not being shy; he could even open up to them.
But then, there was also something different about Peter after he regained consciousness. Weird stuff started to happen to him; first it was his eye sight, then the muscles, then sticking to stuff, then there was a string coming out of his forearm, and now he can move really fast. Could all of that have something to do with that spider-bite in his hand? Could he tell the Titans about his newly discovered condition? No, not yet; Peter is not to sure how're they going to react to it. He'll tell the Titans when the time is right.