Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Avatar: New Century's Dawning ❯ Chapter 5: The Fire Nation Noble ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
was a beautiful spring day outside the palace walls. Hanara was making her last few rounds patrolling around the wall along with three other guards before she was to be conveyed to the outer wall. The group suddenly paused when they heard a sudden, “Excuse me.”

Turning around the guards saw a man approaching them, with a rolled paper at hand. The young man was wearing unique armor. It was light, but what stood out the most was it’s color - different shades of red. Hanara was perplexed, What?! A Fire Nation soldier?! Here?! It was no question. The Fire Emblem was engraved onto the chest plate. He even wore a dark red headband over his forehead, making his dark brown hair spike up. His eyes were golden; a common trait amongst firebenders.

The foreigner was making eye contact with Hanara, easily reading her somewhat flabbergasted expression, so he unrolled the paper revealing a signed certificate. He then spoke to the group, “Don’t worry, I’m an permitted guest here at the palace.” He looked back at Hanara, “You must be the person who had seen the Nightbender last night? Can I speak with you for a brief moment.”

Who does this guy think he is? A Fire Nation soldier comes out of nowhere and suddenly knows about what happened last night. Hanara rested one arm on the hilt of her katana. “How do you know about last night? And what makes sure I saw him last night?”

He replied plainly, “Well, they told me that the one who revealed most about the thief last night was a woman.”

“Oh so you assume that I’m the woman they’re referring too?”

“Uh…well actually,” The man added, “they also told me that you’re the only female guard at the palace.”

“…oh.” Hanara pathetically stuttered. One of her fellow colleagues snickered aloud. She gazed back and snap, “Okay guys, I’ll catch up with you in a moment.”

One of the soldiers replied, “Okay, but make it quick. You know where we got to go soon.”

She gave a wave as the three guards continued on there way. Bringing her attention back to the Fire Nation soldier she asked, “Listen, I have to leave for the outer wall soon, so make it quick. But first tell me how do you know about last night”

“Oh you’re going to the outer wall!” He pointed at her in glee, “That’s perfect. You see my partner had just given me an urgent message to go back to the outer wall just before I managed to find someone who could tell me about last night.”

“You didn’t answer my question.” Hanara had her arms crossed, tapping her foot.

“Oh about how I found out? Well lets just say it was a big coincidence. I’m actually hear tracking this guy, the Nightbender who we also think is the Firestorm.”

Hanara’s eyes widened, Wait a minute! That’s what General Juo mentioned at the meeting.

The Fire Nation soldier continued on, “I really have to get to the outer wall, my friend said it was very urgent. Why, I don’t know But you needing to go to the outer wall too, you seriously don’t know how much of a convenience this is.” From a side pouch on his waist, the man pulled out a think cylinder with a sting at the top. As quickly as he pulled it out he snapped his fingers creating a small flame igniting from his thumb. He lit the short string and aimed the cylinder upward.

“Hey…what are you doing…whoa!” She flinched back as flare launched from the cylinder shooting up at the sky, creating a black trail of smoke along the way.

The man stuffed the cylinder in his pocket and looked at Hanara, “I have some questions I want to ask you. If you come with me I can ask you along the way.”

Come with you? “Come with you?!” She repeated her thought. “Whoa whoa whoa! Time out! Who said anything about me coming with you to anywhere. And what the blazes did you launch that flare for? And who the hell are you?!”

The man scratched the back of his head, “Oh jeez, where’re my manners. My bad. The names Mao Zai, but you can just call me Zai. I’m the son of Mao Zahn, one of the highest rank noble lords in the Fire Nation.”

“Okay…so you’re the son of a noble lord…in the Fire Nation.” Hanara raised a brow as she was letting this sink in. “Ok, and you want to ask me questions about the Nightbender. Well to be honesty with I…I, holy Crap! What is that?!” She looked at the sky as a large shadow caught her by surprise.

The man looked up with a smile, “Great, Huo-Yun arrived quicker than usual.” A serpentine body swirled through the air. Closing its massive wings into its body it spiraled downward into a descent near Hanara and Zei. Despite its size, the beast made a gentle landing.

Hanara tripped over her tongue, “That’s…that’s a dragon.” Pointing at the massive 40 foot long reptilian. Its head was massive, with a pair of long whipping whiskers at the tip of its snout and a set of rather long horns on the back of its head, pointing backwards. The color it was mostly a sky blue with a yellow underbelly. It’s four legs were quite stubby and spread apart amongst it’s long slithering body. And over its front legs were the dragon’s folded wings. At the bottom of its long neck was a long narrow saddle where Zai was climbing aboard. Wait?! Climbing aboard?!

Zai looked at Hanara and broke her train of thought, “Here, grab my hand.” He reached his hand out for her.

“What?! Who the hell do you think you are?! I just met you two seconds ago and you expect me to just get on the back of some creature with some random Fire Nation soldier?!”

“Random soldier? Hey, I told you,” He pointed his thumb to his chest, “I’m of high nobility here. And I said I’m on the hunt for this Nightbender. I want to ask you some detailed questions, but my partner is waiting for me. You need to go to the outer wall as I do. So you might as well come with me. Do you even help nab this guy?”

Well…it would be beneficial for the King and his officials to know more about the criminal. And if there anyway I can help then, well…Oh my goodness! This is crazy! I’m crazy! Am I really going to ride on the back of a dragon? Hanara looked up to Zai, “Fine, I’ll go with you. But you’re taking me to the outer wall and no where else, you got that?!”

Zai bowed down in reply as reached his hand out, this time pulling Hanara onto the dragon’s neck, seated behind him.

“Hey! Where are you going?!” A voice called out. Hanara looked around her as she finally noticed the small crowd standing a distance from the dragon. It was one of the guards calling out to her. Hanara just gave a nervous wave and replied aloud, “I’ll meet you at the outer wall!”

“Oh and one last thing,” Zai turned his head to her, “What’s your name?”

“It’s Hanara. Just Hanara.” She adjusted her sheathed sword at her waist.

“Well then Hanara, hold on tight.” And with that said he booted his foot lightly onto the dragon’s scales. The dragon gave a prolonged growl as he flashed open his wings, beating them strongly several times before darting off into the air. The bystanders’ gaze followed the dragon as it flew into the horizon, the fearful screams of Hanara fading in the distance.