Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Avatar: New Century's Dawning ❯ Flee, Fly, and Faint ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
dashed toward the ledge. He had almost forgot about his mission, about the prized parcel. Reaching the cliff’s edge he leaped in the air, heading down into the gorge. Upon falling he scanned down to the left and caught eye of Chi, fighting the desert man and guard. By the slight sloppiness in her movements, he could tell she had only a little bit a fight left in her. Glancing to the right he saw their wagon, taking off. The ostrich-horses must’ve been startled.

A quick updraft broke Eason’s fall, safely landing to his feet before he sprinted towards Chi. Weapons clashing amongst each other, Chi and the two attackers didn’t notice Eason drawing near until the last minute. Chi jumped away from the two as Eason charged right at them. As Eason slid to a stop the wind picked up from his momentum raged onward. He even launched his hands forward for an extra boost. Sure enough the two targets were blown off their feet, flying over ten yards before tumbling back onto the ground.

Eason grabbed her wrist, “Come Chi, let’s hurry.”

She resisted from his pull, “No Eason, we both can’t keep those scrolls secure with these guys on our tail. And if anything happens to the scrolls, you Jagmohan will be in more than bad mood.”

“Wait, Jagmohan already knows I have them?” Eason tilted his head.

Chi broke her wrist free, “Let’s just say I wasn’t the only one to get a full report from Roe. And yes, Jagmohan knows ‘we’ have them.”

Eason sighed, Can always count on Roe to get the job done.

But before he could say anything else, Chi yakked on, “Listen, these guys have a dragon! That thing’s been floating over head since they arrived. But you can get away on your own.”

Eason stopped her, “On my own? ” He was curious she wasn’t giving herself any credit.

Chi winded a sigh, “Look I didn’t tell you this but your board is in the wagon.”

“What?! Its fixed up? What?! You didn’t tell me, woman! You had it all this time and ya didn’t tell...” A hand pulled down Eason’s neck, catching him by surprise, and before he knew it, his lips were pressed against Chi’s. The at that brief moment when he realized happened, Chi placed her hand on his chest and shoved him back.

Gripping her naginata with both hands acquiring her battle pose. The enemies had recovered from their knocking blow and were ready to assault. Chi yelled at Eason, “Damn it, Eason! The wagon’s getting away. Get the hell out of here!”

Eason had to blink twice at Chi before he registered what she said. Then without hesitation he spun the other direction of the gorge and raced away as quick as the wind.

***

Zai’s pressed his hand onto his right arm just under his bloody elbow though it didn’t help much considering the gash streaked down to his blood dripping palm. His balance returned and he was back on his feet. The ring in his ears, though substantially subsided, still lingered.

Pacing to the edge of the cliff, he looked down into the gorge where he saw a dust cloud zipping off toward New Serpent’s Pass. Zai gritted his teeth, “You are ‘not’ getting away from me!” Lifting his left hand away from his arm, a flame grew from his finger tips. Raising his left arm in the air, he shot a thin yet bright blast of yellow blast directly at the zenith. Rising at about a hundred feet, the blast then dissipated in a flashing glow.

A loud roar echoed through the air as a large dragon slithered down from the sky responding to the signal. Zai’s dragon, Huo-Yun, circled high over Zai before it closed its wings and dived straight down. At just the right moment it stretched its wings and spiraled around Zai before landing. Zai looked up, making eye contact with Huo-Yun. The dragon mumbled a growl in displeasure at sight of Zai’s wound, but as if reading each other’s mind, Huo-Yun knew his companion had no time to waste. The dragon lowered his long neck. Zai lifted himself on the back of Huo-Yun’s head. He commanded, “Huo. We’re stopping that airbender!” Flapping his wings, the dragon snarled before taking off.

Soaring over the rocky ravine Huo-Yun gradually gained on the Firestorm. By the time the dragon caught up, the airbender had just caught up with a runaway wagon. Flying high in the sky and keeping the shadow behind the Firestorm, Zai and Huo were completely unnoticed. They watched as the airbender had jumped inside the wagon from the back opening. Zai took the opportunity and ordered Huo to swoop just over the wagon. The dragon did so.

Plunging down in the gorge Huo-Yun swooped over the carriage on the right side. While passing by Zai breathed in deeply before aiming his fingers down firing a small blue projectile. The blue flame shot clean through the rein, separating the wagon from the panicking ostrich horses. From there the Huo ascended to perform a wide aerial somersault. At the peak of the loop the dragon dived back down toward the ravine from behind the wagon which had already came to a halt. Making an abrupt stop the dragon hovered over the carriage. Zai called out, “Now Huo-Yun!” This is it! Firestorm, you done for. The dragon reared its head as it inhaled deeply. He then unleashed his fiery breath, a torrent of fire pouring out of his mouth, roaring down onto the carriage.

Zai grinned in confidence, but his smirk only went so far a shred of doubt loitered in the back of his head. Is this it? Is the Firestorm finally done for? Huo-Yun was still exhaling out his fire when a small blur had sparked out of the fiery wagon darting down the gorge. What, no! No! “Huo get him!” Not a moment they wasted as they went after the lucky airbender.

***

That was too close for comfort. Eason heaved a sigh of relief. His hair fluttered through the wind. Short straps from his goggles flapped about over his ears. With the backpack strapped on his back and secure, he moved through the canyon at incredibly high speeds, but he wasn’t running. Knees slightly bent, his feet were firmed fastened in tight step-in foot binds, flying just over the ground on his one-of-a-kind air board. The board itself was about seven and a half feet long and almost two feet wide. It was wide on the back with a small fin sticking down at the bottom end. The front slowly came to a point. In addition were two six foot long poles each aligned on the side of the board. As bulky as the thing seemed it was extremely light, allowing Eason to easily bend the air around it and providing lift off the ground. Across the length the bottom was slightly concave which aid in maintaining lift. Eason’s body was positioned facing the right, with his left leg in front of his right. Between the foot straps was a red button and small lever.

Eason zoomed through the gorge’s base, swerving through local traffic with the yelps of the startled travelers quickly dissolving as he passed them. He made a quick peek behind him, catching sight of what he expected; the dragon was gaining on him. Eason pondered. He definitely has to be part of the Fire Nation’s Union. Huh…would have thought they hated me more than to send just one or two guys after me, he amused himself in thought. He blinked when he saw an oncoming sign. Just as he quickly passed by it he managed to read, “New Serpent’s Pass ahead.” And it was dead ahead. He spotted the thinned mountain pass, growing from the horizon.

Serpent’s Pass used to be extremely windy and dangerous, nothing but a narrow cliff. But 30 years ago, a large team of earthbenders had reconstructed the path. With the path much wider and safer, even caravans could travel through. After the improved development, it was simply renamed New Serpent’s Pass.

“Whoa!” Eason shifted to the left, dodging a fiery red blast. As fast as he went on his board, the dragon caught up faster than he thought. He crouched his stance and threw his hands back as wind boosted his speed. Just…a little further. He reached the base of the New Serpent’s Pass where the path started climbing a steady yet high slope. The rise of the path was perfect. Eason hopped his board up, slanting the nose upward just as he angled up the mountain. The path was completely clear, no one in the way. Fists clench, he could hear the beating wings of the dragon over the whipping wind and flailing goggle straps. Almost at the peak of the slope. He heard the howl of fire surging behind him. He wasn’t going to make the top of the path without a scorched back.

A split-second thought came in. Eason twisted the board to steer his momentum off the ledge of the path. Taking to the air, he cleared out of the blast range. But not having enough lift to stay high in the air, he about to plunge down into the ripping tides crashing into the cliffs’ base. Looking down at his board, he yelled excitedly, “Time to see if this damn thing’s fixed!” He punched the red button between his feet while simultaneously pulling the small lever up.

At the next second, the bars located on the side of the board opened out from the end, sprouting membranous triangular wings. Eason slanted his body back, lifting the nose, and with an extra blast of wind, he sped off, gaining altitude. Higher and higher he climbed, soaring over the open sea of blue. Pretty soon, he was surfing over the white sea of clouds, the sun shining as bright as ever overhead. Passing through strong, cool winds, wafting passed his ears, racing through the vast skyscape. Unlike most who would experience an intense adrenaline rush, the setting gave Eason a total calm, almost forgetting he was being chased down by a ferocious fire breathing dragon. Glimpsing behind he saw the winged beast still hot on his trail. That firebender’s sure as hell persistent. Eason didn’t have time for this; he had to end this now. He just couldn’t have the firebender following him.

Tilting to the side, Eason made a wide, banked u-turn through the thick clouds. Emerging from the fog the dragon was dead ahead. Retracting his elbow back. He focused at his target before punching out a massive shockwave, sonic booming through the air. Smoothly the dragon twirled out of strike range of the attack, leaving the blast tunneling through a nearby cloud. The dragon and Eason swiftly past each other. Gaining some distance Eason flipped upwards in a vertical u-turn coming back toward the dragon who had also turned around. Again Eason launched a powerful blast at the flying serpent, but the monster dodged the blow effortlessly. As quick as Eason’s attack was, it seemed the dragon had significantly keener senses to detect Eason’s oncoming attack. He had to think of something else.

As the two flyers approaching each other, the dragon had decided to take on the offensive. The beast, as well as its rider, fired massive orange flares. Zigzagging around the flaming shots Eason began to glide widely around the dragon. He started circling the serpent faster and faster, tightening his orbit. Before the dragon and firebender could realize what Eason was doing, they were already enclosed inside a swirling vortex. The center of the twister was relatively calm and the dragon was left no choice but to hover in place. But it wouldn’t be safe for long. Eason was spiraling closer and closer to the center shrinking the twister’s diameter. As the tornado became tighter and tighter, its wind speed increased exponentially. The strong gales hollowed louder and louder. The surrounding cloudscape whirled and churned around the twister.

Trapped by the tapering winds, the cyclone finally narrowed to the point where the walls had grasped the dragon by the tail. The serpent was hurled violently like a rag doll. The firebender tried to keep hold of the dragon’s head. But the monstrous gusts prevailed, flinging him off the dragon. The serpent was chucked out in another direction. Both the firebender and disoriented dragon launched from tornado’s clutches, both of them plunging through the thick cloud layer. Eason soared above the scene catching sight of his pursuers’ defeat. That should do it. He thought to himself before taking off through the sky.

***

Dust flew about within the low breeze in the gorge. A female palace guard leaped in the air, her hands over her head, both grasping her katana. Descending from her jump, Hanara swung forward, landing her strike dead toward her foe, an earth soldier imposter. The imposter held out her naginata with both hands, blocking Hanara’s attack. The two locked their positions. Hanara attempted to push on her opponent’s hold. Hanara’s hat was off, exposing her black hair which ran halfway down her neck.

Sweat dripped down her cheeks, her jaws clenched, her muscles tensed. She had to admit her opponent had a lot of stamina to withstand attacks not only from her but the hooded man, Hanif Basim. He was Zai’s partner. Basim was armed with a curved broadsword. Though Basim didn’t seem as determined as Hanara was. But she didn’t care. If Zai was right, this woman can lead her a step closer to the Nightbender or at least find out who he works for.

Hanara strained away, pushing down on her sword. She didn’t catch the woman’s slick movement as she leaned back and kicked Hanara right in the gut. Hanara was shoved back and barely kept her balance. Recovering her stance Hanara stared straight into her opponent’s eyes. Both of them uncovered fatigue as they both breathed heavily. But the woman shifted her gaze as she saw Basim take his turn. He charged forward giving out a single horizontal swing. But the woman easily backed away from strike range. Though Basim didn’t persist his attack. What is guy doing?! Hanara was getting irritated by his lack of effort.

He seemed to be waiting for the woman to strike, and she took the opportunity, and by the looks of it, it seemed she wanted to end this. She reached her free hand to her side, and suddenly started patting the side of her waist. Looking down she barked, “What? My sleep darts!”

“Oh so that’s what they are!” A voice called out. It was the first sentence Hanara heard out of Basim’s mouth. He had sprinted toward her while she was still unready. And before the woman was able to take hold of her naginata and defend, she gasped dryly. It seemed Basim had punched her right in the gut. She suddenly dropped her weapon and collapsed onto Basim’s shoulder. The man slowly kneeled down and put her on her knees as he slipped his sword in the case on his back. While doing so, he pulled his fist away from her stomach to reveal a needle like barb at his hand, which he discarded. The woman was victim to her own toys. Then with both hands, he hoisted her up over his shoulder.

“Geez, she was sure a feisty woman.” Basim turned towards Hanara, “But I’ll have to say the same thing about you.”

“Well,” Hanara sheathed her katana, “I’ll just take that as a compliment.”

Basim pulled back his hood, uncovering his whole face. His skin was very tan and his ruffled hair was just a little bit darker. He scratched the stubbles on his cheek, “Good, cause it was.” He walked over to her, “So I’m assuming you’re one of Zai’s friends, being that he allowed you to ride his pet.”

Hanara put her hand up, “Eh, we’re just abrupt acquaintances. But you’re Zai’s partner, Basim is it?” She rest her on hand on her katana’s hilt.

He smiled with cheerful eyes and in a friendly gesture, “Yup, that’s me alright. And you would be.”

She nodded, “Aou Hanara. No disrespect, but you don’t seem to be the kind of ‘partner’ I would expect to be accompanied with a Fire Nation noble.”

“Ah, it’s a long story. But yeah we’ve been ‘partners’ for a while now.” He stared off through the gorge, “Long enough to know how predictable he is. Damn…” His voice was calm, “I sure hope High and Mighty didn’t get himself killed. I didn’t know the Firestorm was actually going to be accompanying this missy here,” he shrugged to the woman on his shoulder.

“Whoa whoa. You didn’t know the Firestorm was going to be here? Wait, you mean the nightbender?”

Basim replied, “Nightbender and Firestorm are the same guy. And when we heard the rumor very early morning about the Nightbender breaking in the palace, Zai couldn’t hold himself and had to check it out.”

“So that’s how he knew.” Hanara then thought to herself, I forget that word can spread fast in the city.

Basim continued, “You see, we had came here to Ba Sing Se initially because we were spying on this lady here, Yagura Chi, under low profile. We discovered she had very close ties to the Nightbender or Firestorm, whatever, and had been following her ever since. We were waiting for the right moment. And this morning was the first time she was traveling without a group. I kept a close eye as she came here to pick up a comrade. Little did I know that comrade was the Firestorm, and by the time I figured that out, you guys had already showed up. Talk about things not going ‘exactly’ as planned.”

Hanara forced a chuckle, “I can relate. So, what do you plan to do with her?”

“Well, she was my target from the start. I’m sure I can get her to spill out some useful info to get a step closer to the Firestorm’s possible whereabouts from here. Though right now, I have to admit, I’m just a little concerned for my friend. Chasing out the Kingdom’s most wanted and dangerous man and all.” Though he spoke nonchalantly, he had a serious face. “And we should to the get a move on. The city guards are going to come to investigate the recent happening here at any moment.”

Hanara’s eye’s widened with relief, “Oh yeah, that’s right. You can stay here and wait for them.”

Basim gave her a confused stare, “I beg your pardon.”

“This is perfect. You just managed to apprehend someone that can lead us a step closer to capturing the Firestorm. This would be a big help for the Generals’ investigation. Listen, when the guards arrive I’ll explain to them everything that happened and Chi here interrogated by the Counsel of Five.”

“Time out,” Basim quickly stepped closer as if he had a hearing problem, “You work for the city’s government?”

“Hanara hummed a ‘mmhmm,’ “I’m actually part of the royal league. I’m a palace guard.”

“What really,” Basim gave an intriguing expression almost childishly. He patted her shoulder, “Wow, you know, that’s…that’s really something. So you’re a palace guard…wow. If that’s the case then…” Suddenly Hanara flinched as she felt a sharp pain in her stomach. It was by far the worst bee sting she ever felt. Looking down to her stomach she saw a needle piercing her gut, held firm by Basim’s hand.

What?! What did he just do. The jolt of pain was quickly replaced by a intense drowsiness. She tried to yelled out but it only came out as a slur, “What was that…for…you” Her eyelids became excruciatingly heavy. She was so tired, her muscles gave up on her. Darkness.