Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Smile Because It Happened ❯ Chapter 20

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 20
 
Sokka stretched and proceeded to scratch his hip dangerously close to his rear as he dragged his feet down the gangplank and onto the frozen tundra that was the North Pole. “Took us long enough,” he grumbled under his breath.
 
“You could've gone with Toph and Aang if you wanted to go faster,” his sister pointed out as she walked gracefully by him, unconcerned with his pouting.
 
“And leave you alone with Jerkbender?” he retorted, snorting indignantly and adjusting the sword at his hip. “Aang would never forgive me if I didn't protect your honor.”
 
Katara swung around and bent an ice muzzle around Sokka's head that covered his mouth. “My honor isn't something for you to protect!” she snapped. “And why are you calling Zuko `Jerkbender' again? I thought you gave that up years ago!”
 
He pried the ice off his mouth before retorting. “That was before I found him walking out of your cabin- with his shirt open!”
 
She glared. “For your information, Mr. Suspicious, Zuko was in my cabin so I could check over the burn wound he got at Kyoshi Village- not so we could do whatever it is you're thinking!” Oh ho HO, Katara… some naughty little voice chuckled inside her mind. You LIAR…
 
Shut up. If Sokka knew what we REALLY did in my cabin, he'd haul me back to the South Pole faster than you could say “overprotective brother.”
 
Valid point.
 
She huffed and turned away, fuming even as her cheeks burned. “Don't judge me by your own base behavior with Suki, Sokka.”
 
The Warrior flinched. “Oh, Katara, come oooon,” he whined, knowing he had really pissed her off this time. “I'm just doing what Dad told me to!”
 
She stopped, clenching her fists as Zuko decided to take that moment to saunter off the ship. Whirling on her brother, she growled loudly. “I am well past the age of consent, Sokka,” she reminded him. “By all accounts and our traditions, I should've been married over a year ago- and probably have one kid already and another on the way! But I am not married and have free choice until I am. So if I decide I want to screw the brains out of the Fire Lord,” she snarled, “I damn well will! Regardless of what you, Dad, Aang, or anyone else has to say about it!” With that final declaration, she stomped off, heading for the main gates of the Northern Water Tribe's city.
 
Zuko stared after her, his expression completely stunned. “What did you say to her?” he asked Sokka, who seemed rather pale at his sister's crude declaration.
 
“Something I probably shouldn't have,” he muttered, wishing the ice would open and swallow him whole as the crew that had happened to overhear Katara's rebuttal were snickering and speculating amongst themselves.
 
Zuko sighed. “Haven't you learned anything in the seventeen and a half years you've been her brother?”
 
“Apparently not.”
 
The men were escorted into the city proper by several painfully straight-faced Waterbender guards, where they met up with a silently seething Katara before being ushered into the main hall.
 
Chief Arnook smiled at Katara as he descended the ice block steps to greet them. “Well, well! Can this lovely young lady really be Master Katara? I must say- it's been years since we were last blessed by your presence here.”
 
Immediately the young Waterbender blushed and bowed in greeting to the older man. “It's good to see you again, Chief Arnook. You haven't aged a day. Surely the Northern Water Tribe maidens are still vying for your attentions?” she teased.
 
“Oh, stop, young lady,” he admonished her kindly, a twinkle in his eye. “I am old enough to be your father- and if my sources don't deceive me, you are already betrothed!”
 
Katara's hand came up to touch her bare neck, now devoid of Aang's necklace, as the band had been broken when Zuko ripped it off. She blushed slightly. “I… I suppose I am,” she replied hesitantly, knowing that her words could have two different meanings.
 
“And you were kind enough to bring us your brother once again,” Arnook continued, shaking hands with Sokka. “We saw you not too many months ago, Warrior,” he observed. “How is your lovely wife?”
 
“Expanding,” he replied with a grin. “Our first child is due in a matter of weeks.”
 
Arnook laughed aloud. “Must be something in the water up here! Several of our own have recently become parents, or will be.” He winked at Katara. “Watch what you drink, Master Katara!”
 
Zuko remained in the background until Arnook took notice of him- although he did wonder how he could be overlooked, considering he was the only one wearing red and black in this environment of blue and white. He bowed respectfully to the Water Tribe Chief. “Greetings, Chief Arnook. I don't believe we've ever met face to face. I'm Zuko.”
 
Arnook lifted an eyebrow. “The Fire Lord? Here?” His expression grew guarded. “Why?”
 
Katara answered for him, to stop any hostile feelings before they started. “We can all discuss it more later tonight, if possible,” she suggested, placing a hand on the Chief's arm. “We are all tired from the journey and our story is a long one.”
 
The suspicious expression on Arnook's face passed. “You are right, of course. I apologize, Lord Zuko. Please, take no offense.”
 
Zuko lifted his hand and waved his concerns away. “Do not worry yourself,” he replied, using his “Fire Lord” tone. “Your reaction is completely understandable. Indeed, if it had been any different, I would have wondered if I was in the right place.”
 
Arnook stared at him a moment, then laughed aloud again. “You've got a sense of humor, Lord Zuko,” he observed with a smile. “Come, all of you. We will hold a great banquet in honor of your arrival-!”
 
“No need,” Zuko interrupted, earning him a look of surprise from Katara and Arnook, and a look of horror from Sokka. “Please don't put yourselves to any trouble for us. A simple meal and warm lodgings are more than sufficient, if you can spare them.”
 
“Of course we can,” the Chief replied, his opinion of the young Fire Lord starting to shift. “If you are sure…”
 
Zuko offered a small, friendly smile. “I get banquets and stuff all the time,” he confided to Arnook in a seemingly confidential whisper. “Between you and me, I'd prefer something a little less formal. A home-cooked meal would be ideal- especially if there's that famous Water Tribe Moonshine available. If that's okay with you, of course.”
 
Arnook laughed again. “Lord Zuko, you seem to be a good man. Therefore, we will give you a good meal. How does tiger-seal stew sound? My sister-in-law makes the best in the tribe…”
 
“Sounds perfect. And please- call me Zuko. I'm not in the Fire Nation, and right now, I'm not the Fire Lord. I'm just a man, like you.”
 
As Zuko and Arnook walked away, Katara and Sokka gazed after them, one with admiration, the other with confusion.
 
“What the hell happened to Zuko?” Sokka wondered aloud.
 
“He's grown up into a fine Fire Lord, a first-class diplomat, and a great man,” Katara replied. She looked at him askance before following Zuko and Arnook out of the main hall. “You could stand to take some lessons, Chief-Wannabe Sokka.”
 
.o(O)o.
 
“I see,” Arnook murmured, setting down his cup of Moonshine and gazing appreciatively at Zuko and Katara, who were seated closest to him around the central fire in the living room of his personal home. “So you need the Oasis water to heal your mother?”
 
“Yes, sir,” Zuko replied, looking the chief in the eye. “After all this time, and suffering from the pain that Ozai caused her- I feel that the least I can do is help her live a more comfortable life with her new husband and son.”
 
Arnook lifted an eyebrow. “You hold no animosity toward her because she married another? And has another child?”
 
“None. In actuality, I'm glad for her. She seems happier than she ever did in the Fire Nation. Ozai… was neither a kind husband nor father.”
 
“Amen to that,” the Chief murmured. “So many refugees have arrived from outlying Earth Kingdom settlements, pleading for asylum from rogue Fire Nation vigilantes that have terrorized their villages. Not that I am placing the blame on you,” he quickly amended, “but Ozai was truly a demon of the first degree.”
 
Zuko nodded, understanding, sympathizing. “I've been trying for years to undo what he and his father have done, but it has been difficult trying to amend for a hundred years of tyranny.”
 
Katara placed her hand on Zuko's hand where it rested on his thigh. “You have been doing a lot of good,” she reminded him. “The world is a better place with you as Fire Lord.”
 
“You said Earth Kingdom refugees were staying here?” Sokka asked, suddenly curious enough to put down his fourth bowl of tiger-seal stew. “Not… Kyoshi Islanders?”
 
Arnook shook his head. “No. As far as I know, your wife's village and friends have been safe. We occasionally get letters from a couple who moved from here to settle down there.” He smiled. “They preferred the warm weather, they said.”
 
“Can't blame them,” Zuko replied with a grin. “These poles can get a bit chilly.” He grunted as Katara punched him in the arm.
 
Arnook frowned. “One of our refugees came to us not too long ago. She's been extremely polite but painfully quiet. We fear her family was killed by those rogue soldiers and it's left its mark on her. She seems rather traumatized.”
 
Katara nodded sympathetically. “That can happen,” she agreed sadly. “But she herself was uninjured?”
 
“So it seems. Mentally injured, if anything. She will not speak to anyone except to say her name and that she is thankful to be here.”
 
Sokka grunted. “I would be too, if Fire Nation bastards had destroyed my village.”
 
“Sokka!” Katara snapped.
 
He flinched. “Sorry, Zuko,” he muttered to the older man. “No offense.”
 
“None taken. Believe me.” He turned to Arnook. “I've been after those soldiers for years. I believe Azula is leading them and training them so that she can challenge me for the throne. You should be extremely cautious when dealing with anyone from outside the Northern Water Tribe- she or her soldiers could be disguised as refugees. They will not hesitate to decimate your people.”
 
Arnook nodded. “Everyone in my tribe knows well what Azula looks like- we cannot be deceived by her tricks. Her soldiers, however, require more caution. We will be careful.” He stood up. “But it is late. We will go to the Oasis tomorrow for the water you require for your mother. Tonight, rest and relax. I will ask Ami will show you to your lodgings.”
 
Zuko stood up as well, following the Chief out of his house into the freezing night air. “Chief Arnook? A quick question, if you will.”
 
The older man paused. “Of course. How can I be of assistance?”
 
“What do you know about breaking off a betrothal? What needs to be done?”
 
Arnook scowled. “Why would you want to break off your betrothal to Katara? I realize that her stubbornness is difficult to deal with, but as the daughter of a chief and a Master Waterbender-!”
 
Zuko couldn't help it. He grinned. “I'm not betrothed to Katara,” he said. “Although I very much want her as my wife. Stubbornness and all. She's currently engaged to the Avatar.”
 
Arnook blinked. “The… Avatar?” He seemed confused. “That's strange. I had heard only that she was betrothed, but not to whom. And after seeing how close you two seem, I assumed…”
 
Zuko chuckled. “Think nothing of it. But I am hoping to convince the Avatar to let me marry Katara instead. So I was curious as to how Water Tribe customs work in regards to a situation like this.”
 
The Chieftain stroked his beard. “I'm not certain. It has been a long time since a conflict like this has come up.” He smacked the younger man on the back good-naturedly. “Allow me to look into the matter tonight, and I will see what I can do for you. But I expect a favor in the future!” he said, laughing.
 
“And you shall have it,” Zuko replied, smiling in return.
 
A slender figure in blue approached from the shadows and Arnook turned. “Ah, Ami! Just who I was looking for. Would you be so kind as to escort the Fire Lord and his friends to the guest quarters?”
 
An immediate movement caught them both off guard. Zuko blinked as he was pushed roughly against the wall, a sharp pain shooting through his torso. He glanced down into the eyes of the black-haired woman in front of him.
 
Who was holding a knife that was currently embedded in his stomach, just below his ribcage.
 
Arnook called out for guards as the woman maintained her grip on the knife in his stomach. Her tan eyes seemed dead, but her harsh breathing indicated she was still alive. Zuko stared at the woman, his vision blurring slightly from the sudden loss of blood. He could hear voices raised in alarm as they tried to pull the woman off of him without injuring him further. The voices grew muddled, except for one.
 
“Zuko! Zuko, what happened? Zuko!”
 
Katara…
 
The woman was finally pulled away from him, the bloody knife still in her hand. His eyes focused on the woman's pale face once more and he fell to his knees, his hands pressed against the wound in his stomach in a vain attempt to prevent more of his life's fluid from seeping out. A thin waterfall of blood flowed from underneath his hands and dripped steadily onto the pristine snow, bright red against pure white. He lifted one bloodied, shaking hand toward the woman now being restrained by several Waterbenders as Katara rushed to his side, gripping him by the shoulders.
 
“…Mai…?” he gasped out. “…Wh…Why…?”
 
He didn't hear her answer as he fell onto the blood-splattered snow and lay still, the crimson stain spreading underneath him.