Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Smile Because It Happened ❯ Chapter 22

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 22
 
Aang seemed surprised at Arnook's words. “I thought there had to be a ceremony involved. You know- with the bride's father and stuff.”
 
The Chieftain nodded. “This is traditionally the case. But in the event that the bride's father is not available, the next of kin is generally accepted. Since Sokka was present when Zuko declared his…erm, devotion to Katara, they could technically be considered married by Water Tribe law.”
 
Aang frowned. “Why hasn't this happened before then? Like when Sokka fell in love with Yue.”
 
“Although my daughter apparently returned Sokka's affection, their situation was different. I was not present if he had ever vowed his love to her, or she to him, and there were no valid witnesses.” His expression grew sad. “I can honestly say that I am sorry that Sokka was not able to become my son-in-law, but he instead he was able to meet and marry Suki, who now bears his child. The spirits had a plan for Sokka and Yue- which, unfortunately, did not include them being together.”
 
The Avatar was rather upset. “That doesn't seem right. What if Pakku had made a similar vow to Gran-gran Kana? She would've been bound to him against her will.”
 
“Which is probably a large reason why she left.” Arnook shook his head. “In a typical Water Tribe marriage ceremony, specific vows are spoken by both parties. These vows are binding, regardless of personal feeling. They are even sometimes considered pointless, as it is actually the bride price given to the bride's father or other family member that validates the union. Our vows do not require the couple to love each other, unfortunately, but they do imply that love or at least affection will make for a happy marriage.” His voice softened. “Master Katara did say that she loved Lord Zuko in return, correct?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Zuko and Katara's declaration and exchange of blood- however unintentional- coupled with her brother's attendance, two witnesses, and the testimony of myself as Tribe Cheiftain- that can be considered a binding vow, although as her betrothed, it is up to you if you wish to allow it to be so.”
 
Aang's heart was troubled. Here was the solution to everyone's heartache, but he found himself hesitant to approve it. “Chief Arnook… I already offered Hakoda Katara's bride price.”
 
He lifted an eyebrow. “That's extremely binding,” he said, “but as long as the offer wasn't a boat, it is still technically breakable.”
 
Aang's expression remained stoic.
 
Arnook caught it and groaned. “Tell me you didn't offer him a boat.”
 
“I didn't offer him a boat.”
 
“Thank Tui.”
 
“I built and gave him two boats.”
 
The older man's eyes nearly bulged out of his head. “TWO?? And you already built them and gave them to him?”
 
“You see my dilemma.”
 
Arnook groaned again. “You're as good as married to Master Katara then. At least in Water Tribe terms.”
 
Aang took a deep breath. “My other concern about this situation centers on Fire Lord Zuko. A Water Tribe wedding might very well be considered invalid by the Fire Council- and could even jeopardize Zuko's crown. They could view it as treason if he attempted to wed without their prior knowledge or even consent.”
 
Arnook stroked his beard thoughtfully. “That's a very good point.” He regarded the young Airbender curiously. “So… if you were able to… would you break your betrothal to Master Katara and allow her to marry Zuko if she so wished it?”
 
Aang's grey eyes drifted toward the house they had just left, his mind recalling the memories he had made with his beautiful, stubborn Earthbender in the Eastern Air Temple. “I would… if I could,” he agreed quietly. “But instead, all I can do is bring more heartache to everyone involved.”
 
“Being a man isn't always easy,” Arnook mused, putting his hand on the younger man's shoulder, “but neither is taking the right path. You haven't grown into who you are today by doing what is easy- you've made difficult decisions and had to do many nearly impossible things. Yet you overcame them and were made stronger because of them. Keep that in mind, Avatar Aang.”
 
“I will. Thank you for all your advice.”
 
.o(O)o.
 
Aang lifted the thick pelt covering the door and made to enter the room when he noticed the room was missing someone. “Hey, Sokka. Where's Toph?”
 
The Warrior looked up from his observation of the sleeping couple. “She said she needed to go for a walk,” he said, rubbing his chin. “Something about wanting to see the city.”
 
Aang almost shook his head. No matter how old he got, Sokka never seemed to remember Toph's lack of sight- nor that she couldn't sense through Earthbending while on ice. “Thanks.”
 
His gaze drifted to Katara, who lay on her side on the pile of furs, her left hand in Zuko's right. Instead of feeling angry, betrayed, or even jealous, he felt… happy. Happy that his first love had found her perfect match, even if it wasn't him. He smiled faintly. In truth, Zuko was Katara's match in every way, right down to their elements. Fire and water, earth and sky. He really should've seen it coming.
 
He turned to leave again but paused as a thought occurred to him. “You know, Sokka… your sister and Zuko could technically be considered married by Water Tribe law now. You really don't need to sit there and try to be their chaperone.”
 
Sokka's blue eyes grew wide. “They're WHAT?”
 
“Find Chief Arnook,” he suggested. “He'll explain it to you. Meanwhile, I'm going to find Toph.” And I know exactly where she is.
 
.o(O)o.
 
The two guards outside the door to the Oasis bowed in respect as Aang approached. “Is Master Toph inside?”
 
“Indeed. Normally, we don't allow anyone except the Chief or healers to access the Oasis, but Grand Master Toph is of course an exception.”
 
Aang's dark eyebrows nearly lifted off his head, he raised them so high. “Grand Master Toph?”
 
“She taught Earthbending to the Avatar,” one of them replied, smiling, “not that we need to tell you that. But that is why she is allowed inside- orders from Chief Arnook.”
 
“May I join her?”
 
“Of course!” The men bowed again before opening the door for him. “Just knock to let us know you're coming out.”
 
Aang bowed back to them and continued through the door, his eyes taking in the sight of the natural greenness of the Oasis. Shedding his warm orange parka by the door, he silently walked over to the water itself, where Toph sat by its edge.
 
“Need something, Twinkletoes?”
 
He sat down beside her, staring at the dark pool in front of them. “A miracle. You wouldn't happen to have one on you, would you?”
 
“Fresh out. I do have a dried peach I managed to charm out of one of the guards out front. Apparently fruit is hard to come by around here, so he was rather reluctant to part with it.”
 
He took the proffered item. “Thanks.”
 
As he chewed, she tilted her head curiously, her empty gaze still focused toward the water. “What's bothering you? I could sense your agitation from the moment you walked in here.”
 
Aang sighed. “I just finished a rather long talk with Chief Arnook.”
 
“You got a lecture? Nice one.”
 
“No, nothing like that. He was trying to get me to break my betrothal to Katara, I think.”
 
Her expression didn't change. Inside, her heart started pounding. “Is that so?”
 
He turned and looked at her, wishing she could see the longing in his eyes. “And if I could, I would. I… I want Katara to be happy, and I think she'd be happiest with Zuko.”
 
“How noble of you. But you can't do that, I'm guessing.”
 
“No. I already paid a bride price to Hakoda. It's impossible to back out of- technically, he could consider us married with that alone; we wouldn't even need the ceremony.”
 
She nodded slowly. “I've heard of it. What did you give Hakoda?”
 
“Two hand-built boats, large ones. Mainly for fishing, I suppose, but they're bigger than the other boats they've got for fishing, so he could use them for something else.”
 
She winced. “That's…”
 
“Yeah. Arnook says I'm as good as married.”
 
Toph dropped her chin down, her bangs covering most of her face and he couldn't see her expression. That bothered him. “Congratulations.”
 
He scowled. “Stop that. You know things have changed.”
 
“You've finally gotten your life-long wish, Twinkletoes. You're tied to Sugar Queen forever. Why shouldn't you be congratulated?”
 
“Because she's not who I want anymore,” he shot back.
 
A tear slipped off her chin and dripped into the water. He reached out and hesitantly touched her arm. “Toph?”
 
“It might be considered immoral…” she whispered. “It might be considered foolish, short-sighted, and just plain wrong...”
 
Aang moved closer, gently forcing her to turn towards him as he did so. “It's not wrong. It's not foolish. It's my own fault for… not growing up sooner.” He lifted her chin so that he could look at her face.
 
Tears were spilling from her pale green eyes and he cursed himself. Toph never cried. “I'm so sorry, Toph,” he murmured.
 
“Me, too. I'm sorry… that I fell in love with you.”
 
His grip on her chin tightened a little. “Don't. Don't you ever be sorry about that. It's the greatest gift you could've given me. And I… I'll do everything I can to make this all right. I promise. Okay?”
 
She sniffled and wiped her eye. “You're lying,” she whispered.
 
He smiled. “No, I'm not- and you know that,” he replied just before he leaned in and kissed her with a tenderness that broke her heart even more. “And I'm not lying when I say that you are all I want. And you know that, too.”
 
His words tugged at her soul and she found herself drawn into him again. Knowing herself as she did… she surrendered. “You're bad for my morals, Twinkletoes,” she managed to say before his lips found hers again and he swept her back onto the grassy ground to show her how much he needed her.
 
.o(O)o.
 
Katara opened her eyes slightly and wasn't overly surprised to see familiar gold ones gazing back at her. “How long have you been watching me?”
 
“Since your brother finally left.”
 
She smiled faintly. “He's a bit overprotective, but he's a good man. I do kinda feel sorry for my niece or nephew, though. That kid's not going to be able to do anything.”
 
Zuko's topaz eyes were glittering in the glow of the fire in the pit in the middle of the room. “Did you hear what Aang said just before he left to find Toph?”
 
She shook her head. “I didn't even know he was here.” Her gaze found her hand clasped in Zuko's and she almost winced. “Do you think he saw this?”
 
“Doesn't matter. He told Sokka that Arnook said we could be considered married by Water Tribe law because of what happened.”
 
Her eyes flew wide and she sat up abruptly, wincing as pain shot through her stomach. Zuko immediately sat up as well, albeit more carefully, concerned. “Are you okay? Don't make sudden movements like that!”
 
“What do you mean we're married?”
 
Zuko grinned. “I didn't say we were- I said that we could be, if we so choose it. Or at least, that's my understanding.”
 
Hope flickered in her eyes. “And… Aang?”
 
“He went off to find Toph, like I said. Your brother went in search of Arnook, I believe.” He leaned closer, his smile almost predatory. “Which leaves you all alone with me.
 
Katara blushed but didn't move away. “We're injured,” she reminded him, “by your girlfriend, no less. Maybe you should deal with her before you start dealing with me?”
 
“Maybe I don't want to wait that long.”
 
“It's not that long! Just go find out what she's up to and what she knows about Azula.”
 
“But I have you here with me right now. And we're alone. Do I have to say it again?”
 
“You can say it until you turn blue, but it's not going to happen. You were stabbed, Zuko!”
 
“So were you. Yet here we are: alive and well. Not to mention all we're wearing is our underclothes.”
 
“We are not well, and shame on you for looking! It isn't proper!”
 
You train in your underwear. Which turns see-thru when it gets wet. Which is when you're training. In the water. Don't turn all Miss Prude on me now. It's against your nature.” He scowled, and inwardly Katara giggled. “And you're not training in your underwear any more, by the way, unless you're training with me. Alone.”
 
“Don't tell me what to do.”
 
His hand came up and slid along her throat to cup the back of her head, pulling her the last few inches until his lips were a mere hair's breadth away from hers. “Would you prefer I show you what to do instead?” he purred.
 
Her hands came up and touched his bare chest, feeling the heat of his skin on her palms. “You're a very bad boy,” she whispered, smiling mischievously, a delicious shiver running up her spine, her mouth almost touching his.
 
“You have no idea.”
 
“Then once you deal with Mai, you can show me.”