Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Smile Because It Happened ❯ Chapter 24

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 24
 
Zuko frowned as he read the latest message from Katara. For the past three months, they had been communicating via message hawks- and occasionally Momo- and each missive seemed to sound more urgent than the last.
 
Things are getting really tense here. I know Dad gave you until the Winter Solstice to make your offer, but I think he's starting to reconsider. Aang continues to try to explain that he can't be married to me, although he doesn't go into great detail about why. Dad says a deal is a deal, but I think it's more that he doesn't want my honor ruined if you changed your mind about marrying me. It's almost like Dad considers me property he's selling instead of his own daughter. It kinda pisses me off.
 
I asked Aang about why he changed his mind about us, but he just turned red and changed the subject. One thing is clear, though: he's finally gotten over his childhood crush. Part of me is relieved, of course, but part of me is sad as well, because it's another sign that we're all growing up.
 
Speaking of which, when will you convince Toph to come back to the South Pole? I don't know what kind of issue she has with Aang, but he's getting rather edgy lately. He's worried about her but he won't fly up there to see her unless she says something to him. Something major must've happened between them for there to be this big a rift. Has she said anything to you?
 
She doesn't need to, Zuko thought wryly. It's obvious.
 
Just remember that the Solstice is only six weeks away. Will you be able to make it in time? Or have you changed your mind now that Mai is starting to improve? I realize it's going to take a very long time for her to return to normal, if she ever will, and you've said you feel responsible for what happened. Plus, I'm sure the Council would prefer a Fire Nation noblewoman to a Water Tribe peasant on the throne.
 
Zuko grunted under his breath. He'd never guessed that his fiancée-to-be was starting to have doubts about him. Hadn't he proven his feelings for her time and time again? He cared for Mai, yes… but it had slowly changed from teenage passion, if it could be called that, to adult affection. He felt responsible for the trauma and agony she went through, but he wouldn't forsake his heart to atone for it. Regardless of what the Council "preferred."
 
He hadn't heard from those old bastards from the Fire Council in months- and personally, he was glad of it. He still had the little matter of dismissing the old Council and appointing a new one…
 
Well, no time like the present. As soon as he finished Katara's letter, he'd take Toph and go fire some Councilmembers. She'd probably enjoy that.
 
On a brighter note, little Rekka is an absolute joy. Sokka still chokes and gags when she needs a diaper change, so it's up to the rest of us to clean her up. Even Aang's been helping out: he's invented a way to bend air so that he can hold her and rock in midair and it puts her right to sleep. Suki's so grateful I'm surprised she hasn't started worshipping the guy. But Aang's loving it. He carries Rekka everywhere and spoils her rotten. I know he'll make a really good dad someday. Now, if we could just get Sokka to follow his example…
 
His door opened and Toph walked in, dressed in simple, comfortable Fire Nation robes. "Another letter from Sweetness?" she asked as she moved to stand by the open window, the wind stirring the long black bangs across her face. "That's like, the third one this month."
 
"She's getting a little antsy," Zuko replied, rolling the letter back up. "I don't think she believes I'd be able to make a boat for her dad."
 
"Can't blame her."
 
"You know I have a plan."
 
"Of course. You wouldn't be Sparky without one."
 
He turned toward her and looked her over, aware that she appeared to be gazing peacefully at the scenery. He knew otherwise, and not just because she was blind. "You do that a lot," he murmured.
 
Her pale green eyes turned in his direction. "Do what?"
 
"Stand in the wind. And you never let it blow over you from your back- you always face it."
 
She harrumphed. "Stalker."
 
"Observant. There's a difference."
 
She was quiet for a minute. He sighed, deciding it was now or never.
 
"Toph, I have something to ask you."
 
She waved him off. "Relax. I won't spar with your guards anymore. You won't have any left that will still be able to carry out their duties." She chuckled. "I'll wait for them to heal before I let them try beating me again."
 
Zuko shook his head. "It's not that. I just though that… if… if things don't work out… and for some reason Katara and Aang end up married…"
 
Toph's eyebrow rose. "What's on your mind, Sparky? It's not like you to be so… pessimistic. You're creeping me out."
 
"I was thinking… if that happened… maybe you should marry me?"
 
She froze, confused as to whether this was some weird practical joke. "Say what?"
 
He sighed again. "I love you like a sister, Toph," he said, "but… you need a husband… and I think you'd make a great Fire Lady."
 
"Why you? Why not marry me off to the Earth King? I hear he's single. Probably because he loves a bear- I seriously wonder about that man's orientation..." She snorted. "I lack the proper bloodline to be Fire Lady. I'd suggest Needles, but she's still off her rocker. There's enough insanity in your family without adding more."
 
"Don't give me 'proper bloodlines,' woman. You're a Bei Fong. A Master Earthbender and the world's only Metalbender. Not to mention the Blind Bandit, unbeaten Earthbending Champion. You could have any man of your choosing. A scarred Fire Lord might not be the best choice, but at least you know me."
 
"That's funny. You look fine to me."
 
"Toph..." he warned.
 
Her face was as somber as he had ever seen it. "I don't need a husband," she replied seriously. "I've taken care of myself for years. I don't require anyone to help me for anything. Especially not now." She frowned. "You've never pitied me or gave me any sympathy before."
 
"That's because you'd lodge a rock in my forehead if I tried."
 
She scowled at him. "So why are you trying now? You're lucky I'm in a forgiving mood or you'd be my next sparring victim."
 
"Thank Agni." He chuckled lightly. "Come on, Toph. You're like the sister I never had."
 
"That's because the sister you got went insane."
 
"Noooo, it's because you're direct, honest, loyal, and as unyielding as your element. It's hard to find people like that, especially here in the Fire Nation. I can trust you with anything. If I had a choice, you know I'd much rather have you as my sister than Azula."
 
"Thanks, Sparky. That brings a tear to my eye."
 
He sighed. "My point is that I think you'd make a great Fire Lady, and I'd be there to help you out- not that you'd ever need it," he added quickly.
 
She seemed to stare at him. It would've been rather eerie if he weren't used to it. "Don't you need an heir to the throne?" she said.
 
"Toph… That's not my concern right now. I'm worried about you."
 
She heaved a world-weary sigh. "All right, all right. I get it. Just… please. Understand where I'm coming from, okay? I can take care of myself. I've done it before, and I'll continue to do so."
 
Zuko pulled the petite woman into his arms and gave her a comforting hug, which, amazingly, she accepted. "Go take a nap," he murmured. "You look exhausted."
 
"Thanks for the stalking."
 
“Observation, Champ.”
 
“Heh. Champ. I like that.” She shot him a toothy grin. “You're all right, Sparky.”
 
“I do try, contrary to popular belief.”
 
As Toph left, Zuko turned his attention back to the window, gazing out at the sparkling blue ocean and wondering what Katara- not to mention Aang- would say to his suggestion if it ever came to be.
 
.o(O)o.
 
Mai glanced up as the tall, handsome Fire Lord was let into her rooms. She immediately stood and gave the respectful Fire Nation salute. "F-Fire Lord Zuko," she murmured.
 
"Mai, stop that," he said, not unkindly. "I've told you- you don't need to act so formal around me. We've known each other since we were children. Remember?"
 
She didn't, of course, but bit by bit, they were starting to piece back together the shattered fragments of her mind. It had taken her weeks just to be able to respond to her real name.
 
"…As you command… Z-Zuko."
 
He gestured for her to return to her seat by the vanity. "Are you comfortable?"
 
She shifted slightly. "It is… very warm here," she said quietly. "But I am not uncomfortable. It feels… strange… after living where it was so cold."
 
"You were born in the Fire Nation. The cold should've felt stranger."
 
She bowed her head. "I'm sorry."
 
He smiled. "Don't be. It's your own preference, you know. I just never thought you'd like cold weather."
 
"It was… always refreshing. And it seemed so clean all the time."
 
Zuko nodded. "How are your healing sessions going? Any progress?"
 
Mai turned away. "…No."
 
He moved closer and made to touch her shoulder, but she shied away. "Don't worry about it, Mai," he said, hoping to comfort her. "We'll keep working on it and soon you'll be back to your old self again."
 
A long silence hung in the room.
 
"Maybe… I don't want to be my 'old self' again," she whispered, so softly he could barely hear her.
 
"What?"
 
She refused to look at him. "I… I don't think going back to being that other woman is a good idea," she said quietly. "From what I've been told, her friend… her best friend… is the one who did this to me." Her tan eyes lifted to his, a trace of fear in them, which surprised him somewhat. Even though she wasn't the Mai he knew, she still was almost completely unemotional. "Do I really want to go back to that kind of life?"
 
Zuko gazed at her, extremely disconcerted. “…What kind of life… would you rather have?”
 
She shrugged lightly. “If given a choice… I'd probably return to the Northern Water Tribe, if they'd have me. They were so generous when they took me in: a perfect stranger with no past, no future, yet they treated me like family. And I deceived them because of what she did to me.” She lowered her head. “I need to atone for betraying their trust.”
 
“And… your parents? Surely, they must be worried about you. We notified them months ago when you had been kidnapped.”
 
Mai shook her head minutely. “The healers asked me if I wanted them to know I was alive, but I don't remember them. They're strangers to me. Why would I want them to know me when I'm not their daughter?”
 
Zuko crossed his arms over his chest. “It's your choice,” he told her. “I won't make you stay and I won't make you go anywhere you don't want to be. But until we find Azula and make her pay for all that she's done, it isn't safe for you to go around unguarded. If you do want to go back to the Northern Water Tribe, I'll have to make sure they're willing to make sure you're protected at all times.”
 
The expression on her face could only be called irritated. “I have that knife-throwing ability,” she reminded him coldly. “I don't need protection.”
 
“From Azula you do,” he shot back. “Your knives didn't help you when she came after you the last time, did they? So do me a favor and don't argue about this. It's because I don't want anything else happening to you that I'm asking you to do this.”
 
She huffed and turned away, her demeanor radiating well-suppressed annoyance. “As you wish… my lord.”
 
Not sure if he preferred this Mai to the one he knew before, Zuko merely nodded and left the room, intent on visiting the Councilroom next.
 
Time to wreak some havoc.
 
.o(O)o.
 
Zuko reached the huge gilded doors to the Fire Council's main conference room and, without bothering to knock, pushed them open and strode inside, his face a mask of powerful determination. He froze as he noticed the room was pitch black. None of the wall sconces were lit. That's… unusual…
 
He bent flames into the sconces and blinked a few times as his eyes adjusted to the sudden brightness. His stomach fell to his knees.
 
The entire Council… was dead.
 
Their bodies, blackened from being burned, lay randomly throughout the room, and huge splatters of blood decorated the walls, floor, and even the high ceiling. Zuko's hands clenched into fists as he surveyed the carnage. Slowly, he moved to the closest corpse and examined a small puddle of blood- and found it dry and flaky.
 
They… they've been dead for a long time. Days? Weeks? Months? How long has it been since they were last seen?
 
A lot of bodies and a lot more questions.
 
He glanced at the wall and noticed something written in blood. Squinting, he managed to make out actual words.
 
“Revenge… is best served… hot.
 
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.
 
A/N: Any guesses on where I got Sokka and Suki's daughter's name? Anyone? Anyone?