Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Smile Because It Happened ❯ Chapter 26

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 26
 
Sokka leaned back against the rim of Appa's saddle, Suki and Rekka by his side, and lifted an eyebrow at Aang. “So let me get this straight: the monk got some before Mr. `I'm-Emo-and-Sexy' Fire Lord?”
 
Zuko scowled. “Shut it, Boomerang Boy. Ever think that I respected your sister enough to wait until after we're married to finish seducing her?”
 
“I don't want to think about it one way or another. It just cracks me up that someone who was taught celibacy not only got more action than you, but managed to sire two kids at once in the process.”
 
“I'm really going to fry that ponytail off your head, Sokka.”
 
Toph collapsed into laughter. “Oh, snap,” she gasped when she came up for air. “That was total win.”
 
“Aang, shut your woman up, will you?”
 
He leaned back and glanced over Appa's head at Zuko. “Can't. Too far away.”
 
“So move your fertile ass back here and do whatever you need to.”
 
“Who would guide Appa then?”
 
“He bloody well knows the way to Kyoshi Island!”
 
By this time, Katara was practically rolling on the floor of the saddle. “Oh, man,” she giggled as she struggled to sit back upright next to Zuko. “You're touchy.” She smiled innocently at him. “You need to get laid, Lord Dragon.”
 
“No shit.” The smirk he gave her could only be described as, well, dragon-ish. “You offering?”
 
“Not now!”
 
“Why not? There's enough room in this saddle, and Agni knows I've been patient enough.”
 
ZUKO!”
 
Toph grinned. “Don't mind me. It's not like I'd watch or anything.”
 
Sokka made a face. “At least wait until after you drop us off at the Village,” he pleaded. “I really don't want to witness my sister getting deflowered.”
 
“No one wants you here either,” Zuko replied, his golden eyes raking over Katara as if mentally undressing her. She blushed furiously.
 
“Remember we still have to find Azula,” she reminded him pertly. “Or did you forget what you told my father?”
 
Zuko sighed and leaned back against the saddle edge again. “No, I didn't forget…”
 
“Can I get up now? My knees are numb from the snow.”
 
“I don't know. I kinda like you on your knees like this. Submissive. Begging.” She smirked. “It's really sexy.”
 
“It's cold as hell and making me reconsider my proposal. Now, will you marry me or not?”
 
Katara crossed her arms and regarded him curiously. “I don't think I'll make a very good Fire Lady,” she told him.
 
“I think you will,” he replied, trying to ignore the cold in his knees, “but I care more that you'll make a perfect partner for me. You're intelligent, compassionate, caring, dedicated, and loyal- not to mention more beautiful than the sunrise. You're strong. Cunning. And probably the only bender in the world that's on par with me.”
 
She lifted an eyebrow at him. “What about Aang?”
 
“He's not my type. Besides- Toph would bury me eighty feet underneath my palace if I came between her and him.”
 
Katara giggled. “Oh, fine,” she said, heaving a huge fake sigh. “I'll marry you, you fire-breathing Dragon.”
 
His golden eyes flew wide. “You will?”
 
“I suppose, since you're probably the only man who won't feel threatened because I'm a better bender than he is.”
 
Zuko let out a whoop and came up off he knees so fast Katara barely had time to blink before he practically tackled her in a passionate embrace. His lips were on hers, kissing her heatedly- and she was fully reciprocating the favor.
 
A voice behind them cleared his throat and Zuko reluctantly released Katara's lips. He bowed marginally to Hakoda, who appeared slightly bemused. “Chief Hakoda.”
 
“I take it you got her approval?”
 
“Yes, sir.” He met his gaze. “Do I have yours? For both your daughter and my Navy?”
 
“You have it.” Hakoda grinned. “My children don't need me to raise them anymore. Sokka's already started his family, and soon Katara will have her own as well. This is a fine time for me to see the world- without worrying about Fire Nation ships blowing us out of the water.”
 
Zuko held out his hand and the older man shook it firmly. “I'm counting on you to keep the peace,” he said, smiling.
 
Hakoda glanced at Katara, who had tears in her eyes, before focusing on Zuko again. “So what are you going to do now? I am aware that your sister is still on the loose. How does she fit into your plans to marry Katara?”
 
“I told the Council that finding Azula and bringing her to justice was my first priority. Even though the old Council has been murdered by Azula and I have appointed a new one, unfortunately, that remains true. I will not feel comfortable marrying Katara until after Azula is dealt with. I realize that Water Tribe custom dictates that we could be considered married by your laws based on what I've offered you, but the Fire Nation would not approve of that- they would want a grand celebration.” He smiled. “And I think they- and Katara- deserve one.”
 
Hakoda nodded. “So be it.” His blue eyes grew soft as he gazed at his daughter. “Take good care of her,” he requested, his voice quiet. “She's so like her mother… and I have to let her go now as well.”
 
“She'll never want for anything,” Zuko promised him. “I swear I will do everything I can to make her happy.” He gave Katara a sweet, special smile, his eyes glittering. “She's… my other half.”
 
Zuko groaned. “We'd better find Azula and off her fast,” he muttered under his breath. “I don't know how much longer I can hold out.”
 
Katara leaned over and, under the pretense of whispering in his ear, licked the rim of said ear. “I'll be sure to make it worth the wait,” she purred just loud enough for him to hear her.
 
“Dammit!”
 
“So what happened with your Council, anyway?” Suki asked. “Toph said it was a massacre.”
 
Zuko crossed his arms, his expression turning serious. “I know it was Azula,” he said, “that much is obvious. She ambushed them probably two months ago, about two weeks before I found them. Their bodies had been burned so badly, they literally fell to ash when we tried to move them.” He shook his head. “It was… nasty.”
 
“Zuko said there was writing on the wall- in blood,” Toph added. “Said something about revenge being served hot or something like that.”
 
Katara blinked, confused. “Revenge?”
 
“The Council is the group that crowns the Fire Lord,” Zuko explained. “They refused to crown Azula immediately after Ozai abdicated when he tried to become the `Phoenix King,' so she has always held contempt for them.” He frowned. “The weird thing, though… was that all their heads… were missing.”
 
Everyone's eyes grew wide, except Toph's, who knew all this beforehand. “They were decapitated?” Suki asked, shocked.
 
“Yeah. Their heads were gone and their bodies burned to ash. Azula was obviously pissed.”
 
Sokka shook his head. “She's gone beyond crazy. I think she's a masochist.”
 
Suki shuddered. “Let's change the subject.” She turned to Katara. “So how does it feel to be engaged to the Fire Lord?”
 
Katara grinned. “Hot?”
 
“You haven't seen anything yet, Peasant.”
 
Sokka narrowed his eyes at Zuko. “Why did you give my dad control of your entire Navy? Couldn't you just've… given him a ship or something?”
 
“And waste such a great tactician and leader? No way.” Zuko propped his arms up on his knees. “I'm greatly downsizing the size of the fleet and sending the majority of the soldiers home to their families. Those that remain on duty will be doing so because they want to, not because they have to. And if they don't like being commanded by a Water Tribe man, then they will answer to me directly.”
 
“You had to appoint a whole new Fire Council, didn't you?” Aang asked, turning around briefly and leaning his arms on Appa's head.
 
“Yeah. They're all middle-aged guys who are more interested in the future of the Fire Nation and its place in the world than in filling their own pockets or gaining more power.” He chuckled. “I made my uncle the head of the Council.”
 
“Smart move,” Toph observed. “He's been your private advisor for years- why stop now?”
 
“Not only that, he'll be able to quell any objections to me taking Katara as my wife. The man's a born peacemaker.”
 
Appa swung down and descended toward Kyoshi Island, where a large group of people had assembled near the beach, awaiting their arrival. “Looks like they brought everyone to see the newest Warrior!” Aang called back.
 
As they landed, Ty Lee ran up waving her arms. “Zuko! Zuko!”
 
The young Fire Lord took a step back, preparing for one of her usual glompings. “What is it?”
 
“I got a message from Mai!”
 
That got his attention. As the rest of the village was preoccupied with oohing and aahing over Rekka, Zuko, Katara, Aang, and Toph moved aside to talk privately with the former acrobat.
 
“She says she remembered where Azula took her when she kidnapped her,” she informed them quietly, handing the small message to Zuko. “She thinks that it's likely her center of operations or something. That's probably where you'll find her.”
 
Zuko scanned the short message quickly, taking note that there was no signature. “How do you know it's from Mai?”
 
Ty Lee pointed to a small symbol in the corner. “That's Mai's secret seal,” she said. “Whenever we'd pass notes in class when we were in school, we'd use special seals to sign them so we wouldn't get in trouble if we got caught. Azula never got involved with that, since she was in different classes because she was royalty, so she wouldn't know Mai's seal.”
 
Katara peered at the symbol. “'Sloth-mouse'?”
 
Ty Lee giggled. “Her hair, you know. She looked like she had sloth-mouse ears.”
 
“I gotta ask,” Aang said. “What was yours?”
 
“Kangaroo-rat.” She tugged on her long braid. “Because their tails are long like this, and because I could jump really far.”
 
Toph grunted. “That one should've been obvious.”
 
Zuko rerolled the scroll. “We have our destination,” he told them quietly. “We're heading to Ember Island.”
 
Katara's eyebrows rose. “Your vacation home?”
 
“There's a hidden labyrinth underneath the old palace there, with chambers for the royal family in case of an emergency,” he told her. “I thought they were destroyed over a decade ago, but apparently I was wrong.”
 
“Or else Azula fixed them up enough for her use,” Katara suggested.
 
“Regardless, that's where we need to go,” Aang announced. He turned to Toph. “I think it'd be a good idea if you went home,” he said quietly.
 
“I think it'd be a good idea if you didn't try and tell me what to do,” she replied cheerfully. “I'm going and that's that. Crazy needs to be taken out, and I want a piece of the action.”
 
“Think about our children! You can't risk putting them or yourself into danger, and Azula's the epitome of danger.”
 
“Come on, Twinkletoes. I'm the best Earthbender in the world. You guys need me and I'm not going to sit at home like some insipid little housewife.” She made a face. “And I'm definitely not going back to my parents. I'd never see you again.”
 
“I hate to say this, Aang,” Katara interjected, “but Toph is capable of making her own decisions in this matter. As much as I'd like to say she should stay out of this, we can't guarantee that Azula wouldn't find her and hurt her while we're searching at Ember Island. Our best way to protect her is to keep her with us. Safety in numbers and all that.”
 
“Gee, thanks, Sweetness. You do have your nice moments, don't you?”
 
Aang scowled. “All right. I don't like it, but if it will keep them safe.” He turned to Toph, his face stern (for all the good it did him). “But if things get too chaotic you get yourself out of there. Agreed?”
 
“Yeah, yeah. I'll turn Airbender on `em and run away.”
 
“Toph!”
 
“I said I would! Lay off, Twinkletoes!”
 
“All right,” Zuko said, using his “Fire Lord” voice again. “Tomorrow morning we leave for Ember Island. Make sure that you're focused and that you've got everything you could possibly need. There's a chance… we may not come back.”
 
“Great pep talk,” Toph deadpanned, idly scratching her rounded belly. “I'm all excited. Anyone else?”