Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Smile Because It Happened ❯ Chapter 29

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 29
 
The five friends stood on the beach of Ember Island, the breeze blowing steadily off the sea seeming to push them towards the center of the isle as if to urge them to hurry and restore peace to the world.
 
Sokka adjusted the sword at his hip. Long gone was the playful, sometimes lack-wit attitude- now he radiated a maturity and seriousness that Katara never thought she'd see in her easy-going brother. With a wife and a daughter to protect, she could see why he'd suddenly take it up a notch but it still surprised her. She pursed her lips, taking in his new hairstyle and chin fuzz.
 
“You trying to look like Dad?” she whispered in his ear.
 
He didn't even react. The breeze stirred the beads now hanging on either side of his face. “Katara… if something happens here…”
 
“It won't, Sokka. You'll be back with Suki and Rekka before you know it.”
 
He took a deep breath. “Just… promise me you'll look after my girls for me, will you?” he asked softly, his voice belying his concern.
 
Katara noted the change that had come over him- and was both proud and saddened. “I promise,” she replied, taking his hand and squeezing it in reassurance.
 
Toph walked over to the grassy bank beyond the sandy beach, stomping her feet a few times. “I can see the catacombs,” she told Zuko as he approached behind her. “Most of them have collapsed, but there's one section that hasn't.” She frowned. “And I think she's in there.”
 
“You think?” Zuko didn't look pleased.
 
“It's pretty far underground, Sparky. Let's see you do better.”
 
Aang dropped to the ground, eyes closed, and placed his hands on the earth, feeling, sensing. “It is pretty far,” he agreed after a moment. “We'll have to Earthbend to get down there. We'll probably run into a horde of traps if we go the main way.”
 
Zuko crossed his arms. “I don't think that she'll have traps for us.”
 
Ignoring the Fire Lord's opinion on the matter, Toph reached down, sunk her hands into the dirt and lifted a massive chunk of rock without even blinking. Tossing it aside with one hand like a pebble, she addressed her husband. “Let's go, Twinkletoes.”
 
The other four people present stared at her in silent awe. Even pregnant, Toph was a force to be reckoned with.
 
“Okaaaaay, we'll do it Toph's way,” Zuko agreed, holding his head in his hand.
 
With skill unrivaled by any in the entire world, the duo moved in perfect harmony, bending the hard earth to their will and creating a tunnel deep underground. Behind them, waiting and watching as they moved, were Katara and Sokka, with Zuko and his hand-torch bringing up the rear. Slowly the group moved deeper until they emerged into a partially collapsed passageway.
 
Toph landed gracefully on the hard-packed floor, her every sense tuned into what was around her. She nodded her head, knowing that Aang was watching her carefully. He turned to the others in the tunnel and relayed without words that Azula was indeed in the far room.
 
Silently they all emerged into the passage, Zuko snuffing out his flame as he dropped. In the darkness of the tunnel they could see the faint glow of torches- surely set there for Azula's use. Zuko met Katara's eyes- and practically read her thoughts.
 
We're going ninja again, aren't we?
 
Nodding once, Zuko moved ahead of the group, his keen eyes taking in their surrounds. Knowing his sister as well as he did, he really didn't suspect she'd waste time on silly things like pitfalls or an ambush. She'd want to deal with them directly- with their blood on her hands. Literally.
 
.o(O)o.
 
Stealthily, cautiously, the five heroes crept down the destroyed passageways, crawling over rocks where they could and utilizing Aang and Toph where they couldn't. The glow they followed grew brighter until they reached a dead end- and a pair of huge metal doors, flanked by two solitary floor sconces.
 
Zuko glanced at the others as if to ask, you guys ready for this? and lightly pushed against the doors, half expecting them to be locked.
 
Which they were.
 
Turning to the resident Metalbender, Zuko gestured needlessly at the metal doors. Toph didn't move. Aang nudged her with his elbow, and she stepped forward, gripped the doors and folded them backwards like they were made of dough. A fireball immediately shot out of the mangled door and Zuko yanked Toph out of the way, the flame barely missing her shoulder as it whizzed past.
 
“Well, she knows we're here,” Sokka observed, unsheathing his sword. He looked at Zuko. “Is there no other way to get in there?”
 
Zuko glanced at him. “Aang, you can deflect her fire attacks,” he said quietly. “Toph will open another entrance for us around the corner. We'll meet you inside. Sokka, you and Katara stay here and help him.”
 
Katara's blue eyes widened slightly when he commanded her to stay here while he left, but she knew this was the best chance for them to catch Azula off guard. As much as they could, anyway. Reaching over her shoulder she uncorked her specially-made water skin and nodded once at her beloved. “…Be careful,” was all she said.
 
“You too.” With that, he and the blind Earthbender vanished around the corner.
 
Aang glanced around the edge of the misshapen doors and had to quickly pull back as another fireball flew past. “I'm going in,” he told his friends quietly. “Stay behind me. We'll need all of us to finish this.”
 
The siblings nodded. “Let's go,” the Avatar said, his face grim.
 
.o(O)o.
 
Azula hummed contentedly to herself as she lounged on her throne. The huge chair had once been highly polished and finely made, but now showed dust and damage from years of nonuse. It had belonged to her great-great grandfather- and now, it belonged to her.
 
As would the Fire Nation. As soon as her sad excuse of a brother showed up so she could finish what she had started years ago. She should've just killed him as a child. Yes, that would've solved a lot of her problems.
 
"A carousel of endless flame... and I'm in the middle of it.” She chuckled dryly. “Do you see me now, Father? Your reign was a testament of mediocrity and failure... brought down by a miserable child. But you... you should be thankful. I spared you the inglorious fate of rotting in a cell, of tainting our line further. But you can see, can't you? The Fire Nation will fall if Zuzu rules. But I… I will bathe the entire world in the flames of my glory."
 
Deciding to allow Zuzu's little band their chance at her, she ceased her nonchalant Firebending and soon the Avatar and those simpering Water Tribe peasant siblings stormed into her chamber. They stared in horror at her- and she merely kept humming.
 
The wall opened up and soon Zuzu himself appeared, the blind Earthbender behind him. He kept himself between her and the blind girl- curious. A disgusted look crossed his scarred face, and Azula had to smile.
 
What a scene she must make. A deadly beauty, lounging on an antique throne, the walls and floor splattered with blood. Open, incredibly deep lava pits along the sides and rear of the room gave the chamber a strange glow. And lined up in a grisly sort of entourage on either side of the narrow, tattered red carpet on the floor stood a dozen mostly-cleaned human skulls, supported by bamboo poles.
 
Oh, a ghastly sight indeed.
 
Azula laughed, gazing back at the lone skull she held in her hands. “Come inside and be afraid,” she sang, turning the skull back and forth as if she were singing to it, “of this impressive mess I've made. If you take a look now you will find I have thrown away my prize, done away with paradise.” She turned her bullion eyes to the quintet standing in revolted shock on the other side of the chamber. “See what's going on inside my mind…”
 
“I think I can already see what's inside her mind,” Sokka muttered, “and it ain't normal.”
 
Setting down the skull, Azula gracefully crawled out of the throne and walked slowly towards them, that same strange smile on her lips as she continued her disturbing song. “Come inside, now I implore. Do you think you can restore the pieces missing from my brain?”
 
She turned her eyes to Katara, who shifted into a Waterbending pose immediately. “What seems to be the matter, dear? Why do you cry and shake with fear?” She glanced at Zuko and smirked. “I've only had the best dub me insane.”
 
“Enough, Azula,” Zuko commanded, interrupting her bizarre singing as he stepped closer to her, his entire demeanor radiating a confidence and power Azula had never seen in her weakling brother. “You know why we're here. You're charged with the assassination of our father, the slaughter and desecration of the Fire Council members, and the murder of Guru Pathik.”
 
“So the old man died,” she sighed. “Pity. I wasn't really trying to kill him. I just wanted answers.” She turned and walked away from them, moving to stand by the throne once more. “After all, we can't have Airbenders returning to the world, can we? That would make everything our great-grandfather did seem pointless.” She reached behind the throne and pulled out-
 
CAI!” Aang cried, running frantically through the skulls toward the little girl tied and gagged as she dangled from Azula's grasp. In her free hand Azula lit a blue fireball and held it up, the creepy smile returning to her lips.
 
“Nuh-uh, Avatar,” Azula scolded. “We don't want our little Airbender ending up with a burn scar like Uncle Zuzu, do we?”
 
“Let the child go, Azula,” Zuko called out as Aang skidded to a halt. “She has nothing to do with this.”
 
“Doesn't she? She represents our family's responsibility to wipe out those who would oppose us.” She brought the fireball closer to Cai, causing the child to whimper. The blue light reflected off the tears starting to slide down the little girl's cheeks. “She is a loose end- and needs to be taken care of.”
 
Katara had the water out of her waterskin and flying towards the crazed ex-princess and her captive before either could even blink. One of the whips wrapped itself around the child and yanked her out of Azula's grasp, pulling her towards their group as the other forced Azula to defend herself. “Toph!”
 
The little Earthbender was already on it. She lifted her arms and a wall came up between them and Azula, offering some minor protection. Aang, on the other side of the wall, was now free to engage Azula directly. He ran at the black-haired woman, staff in hand, spinning madly.
 
Katara now held Cai tightly in her arms, comforting her as best she could. Cai wailed for her parents. “Zuko,” she said, her voice filled with worry. With the little girl there, how were they supposed to fight Azula properly?
 
Toph hurried over to Katara's side. “I'll take her, Sweetness,” she said, taking Cai into her arms. “I'll see if I can get her up to Appa and get back here to help you guys. I'm the only one who could possibly get up there fast enough, so no arguing- got it?”
 
Katara didn't need to say what Toph wasn't saying either- it was a way for her to stay out of the fighting for the moment and protect her babies. “Go,” she whispered. “And be careful when you come back, okay?”
 
“No problem.” Toph stood up and hurried out the mangled metal doors, vanishing into the darkness beyond that only she would be able to see clearly in.
 
Sokka had already headed around the stone wall with Zuko, the three men taking on Azula in turns. The Fire Princess was holding her own marvelously well, proving that she was still the prodigy she had been as a child.
 
Katara ran towards them, water spinning expertly around her. Azula shot a column of blue fire at Sokka and he ducked- but the blast headed for Katara instead. Sokka turned, panic on his face. “Katara!”
 
The Waterbender created an ice shield in front of her, taking most of the attack head on. Zuko came at Azula's right side, attacking her with the same fire that flowed in her own veins.
 
"It seems like Agni's smiled upon me. I get to kill you, the Avatar, your Waterbender peasant and the rest of your happy little crew at the same time. You should remember this place well. After all... isn't this the same volcano our great-grandfather Sozin killed Avatar Roku?” Azula's laughter echoed throughout the cavernous chamber, seeming to surround the group with its maniacal vibrations. “Well, I don't suppose it matter... since in a few moments, you can ask him yourself!"
 
She lashed out with an arc of flame, knocking the four of them across the room, shattering the grisly skulls and ripping the carpeting.
 
Aang got to his feet first, Sokka by his side. “We need to hold her still,” he said. “I'll try to get her trapped with my Earthbending, like I did to Ozai. Then I can take her bending away too.”
 
“What makes you think that will make her any less dangerous? Or crazy?” Sokka demanded. He watched as Zuko reengaged his sister in rapid-fire hand-to-hand, combined with blue and red flames. “Hurry up and go all glowy on her ass. We need to kill her!”
 
Aang pointed to Katara- who had hit her head on the stone wall Toph had created in order to protect her and Cai as they had escaped- as she lay unmoving at its base. “Your sister is unconscious. Zuko cannot remain Fire Lord if he takes his sister's life, regardless of how many lives she's already taken. You would not be able to get close enough to her to kill her, and I am not capable of taking a life. No matter how much she deserves it.”
 
“Dammit!” Sokka gripped his sword. “If you won't do it, I will!”
 
“Sokka!” Aang stood up and pulled the older man back. “Let me try, okay? Watch your sister!”
 
The Water Tribe Warrior watched with a heavy heart as the Avatar continued to try and capture the elusive Firebender in stone the way he had immobilized Ozai all those years ago. But Azula was too quick, too cunning to stay in one spot too long, and even all four of Aang's elements weren't enough to slow her down.
 
Zuko dropped to his knees, holding his left arm where his sister had gotten a cheap shot in, burning his skin so badly he was pretty sure his skin was black. He didn't dare look right then. What he did know was that he couldn't fight Azula with his arm like that… and Katara still hadn't woken up from hitting her head on the stone wall. He had to try and put himself between his sister and the woman he loved- so that she could live on, even if he didn't survive this encounter.
 
Aang stepped in after seeing Zuko badly wounded, fighting the crazed Princess as best he could with every element around him. He swung his staff and she ducked, causing him to destroy the ancient chair.
 
“Awww, that was my throne!” she whined. “You'll pay for that!” She formed a fire whip and snapped it at the Avatar's stomach, burning the clothes and singeing the flesh.
 
Sokka had had enough. He ran towards the Fire Princess, sword in hand. He swung his weapon expertly, nearly catching her several times. He spun, dodging one of her hand thrusts.
 
She laughed as she kicked him, disarming him, sending his sword spinning across the floor to land near the edge of the lava pit.
 
Sokka turned towards the deadly woman- and got impaled with her finely manicured fingers in a lethal strike.
 
Azula smirked, her fingers deep inside his side. Blood trickled out, staining the already-bloody floor. Sokka coughed, blood dribbling from the corner of his mouth.
 
“What's wrong, Water Tribe peasant? You don't sound so good.”
 
Sokka glared at her as his hand came up and wrapped impossibly tight around her free hand, pinning it at a painful angle against her body. Azula growled and went to pull her hand out of him- but he held tight to her hand with his, not letting her pull it- and possibly his insides- out. “Bitch,” he snarled, blood dripping from his lower lip. “I will defeat you even if I have to kill myself to do it.” He held her in a death grip even as he held her hand in his side. “Aang!” he hollered hoarsely. “I've got her! Do it now!
 
Azula was so stunned by Sokka's actions that all thoughts- including those of Firebending- fled her crazed mind. Her topaz eyes widened in fear as her head turned towards Aang.
 
The Avatar didn't hesitate, even though he was horrified at how Sokka had gone about immobilizing Azula. Quickly he put his hand on her forehead and on her heart, shifting into Avatar Mode. The room filled with a strange orange and blue glow and, just as it had been with Ozai, the orange threatened to take over the blue. The blue was stronger this time around, with more resolve, and soon overwhelmed the orange completely. Aang released the woman and fell to his knees, completely spent.
 
Azula stared at Sokka in seething fury. She let out a strangled scream as he pushed her away from his body, finally releasing her. She pulled back, staggering, blood from his side covering her hand almost to her wrist.
 
She knew a losing situation when she saw it. She didn't know what the Avatar had done to her, but she'd be damned before she let them destroy everything she'd built so far. Those who fight and run away… Taking a step backwards, she grinned that maniacal smile one last time.
 
Toph ran into the room just as Sokka fell to his knees, blood cascading to the floor from the hole in his side. She took in the situation in a matter of heartbeats and vibrations- and her stomach froze when she realized how badly Sokka had been wounded.
 
Azula backed away slowly from the crouching forms of her brother and the diminutive Earthbender. “Sorry, Zuzu,” she said cheerfully- which was more creepy than anything. “But we'll have to finish this some other time.” Glancing up at the hole above the cavern, which was obviously her escape route, she waved farewell.
 
Aang crawled over to Sokka's side, managing to press his hand against the wounded man's side in an attempt to slow the bleeding. “It's okay, Sokka,” he murmured, trying to fight the panic rising inside him. “Just hang on. We'll get Katara to heal you, okay?”
 
“…Stupid… bitch…”
 
The Avatar's attention shifted back to the Fire Princess, anger contorting his usually calm features. His grey eyes widened in realization and dawning dismay as Azula stepped backwards off the edge of the deep lava pit.
 
Zuko tried to stand up, lurching towards his sister. “Azula!
 
Azula fell, but she felt no concern. After all, she could easily fly out of the escape route her ancestors had created in just such an emergency. She smirked.
 
Until she tried to bend the jets on her feet.
 
Nothing happened. A twinge of panic clenched her chest. She punched, trying to shoot a powerful column of fire to slow her descent. Still nothing. Belated realization hit her head on.
 
The Avatar had taken away her bending.
 
The molten fire she was rapidly approaching bathed her in an unholy light, blinding her. And in the brightness, she saw a woman.
 
“Mother? Why do you love Zuko more than me?”
 
“I love you both, darling. You know that.”
 
“No, you always take his side. Father says he's useless. Why don't you just throw him in the ocean and be done with him?”
 
Ursa turned, brown eyes soft and kind. “Zuko is a special child. Just as you are, but in a different way. Someday, I hope that you will both find that spark that helps you to realize just how extraordinary you really are.”
 
Father says I was born lucky. That's all I need to know.”
 
“That doesn't mean that you are above others, Azula. Remember your humanity- that regardless of your outstanding talent and noble birth, you are a person just like everyone else. You're my little girl.
 
Regret- deep, painful, soul-wrenching regret- engulfed her being. Tears filled those golden eyes, evaporating from the intense heat even as they fell from her eyes.
 
I'm sorry… Mother… that I forgot about who I really was.
 
The last thought Fire Princess Azula had as she hit the lava was that at last, maybe… just maybe… her mother would've loved her as much as she had loved Zuko… now that the prodigy was just a normal person.