Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ The Hunter ❯ The Hunter ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I do not own Avatar, nor am I making any money from this fic.
***
Every day it was the same. Li would get up in the morning, go to work for most of the day, then lie around the apartment until falling asleep- much to the chagrin of his uncle, who was forever nagging the boy to get out around the city and do something. It was a stale, inflexible routine, and if Li ever tired of it, he didn't let that show.
Jet found it unbearable. He lounged on the roof of a building, chewing lazily on the straw of wheat that was ever-present between his teeth. From where he was, he could see directly down into the window of the tea shop where Li stood behind the counter. The dark-haired boy's head was buried in his arms, resting against the countertop.
"Sleeping on the job?" Jet muttered to no one. He couldn't stand it. He had been spying on Li for almost a week now, with still no proof of any firebending abilities. He couldn't stand it! He knew Li was a firebender, he just hadn't caught him yet. But Jet was going to catch him.
And yet a part of him didn't mind the unending routine. Jet found it strange that through all the consistency, he never once thought of abandoning the hunt. In fact, he grew to anticipate it, so that it was the first thing that entered his mind when he opened his eyes in the morning. That anticipation was the reason why he never got bored or weary, why he wouldn't budge no matter how many times Smellerbee pleaded with him to give up the incessant chase while Longshot stood behind her, dark eyes flickering with unspoken accusations. They thought it was pointless. They didn't understand that firebending was only a part of it.
In the window below, Li raised his tousled head. Jet caught sight of the teen's striking golden eyes and a familiar shiver ran through his body.
They would never understand why Jet hunted Li.