Azumanga Daioh Fan Fiction / School Rumble Fan Fiction ❯ Maiden for Hire: School Rumble Style ❯ I'm Sorry, Maiden Me... ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Chapter 5 Yakumo: Maiden for Hire (Conclusion:  I’m Sorry, Maiden Me)

Before we continue, let’s recall what happened at Sara’s: One week ago, Yakumo was training to give courage to say what was on her mind about the Yakumo robot.  She had help from her best friend, Sara Adiemus, and her Maiden for Hire, who’s ALSO named Sara. “Okay,” the robot Sara declared, “Let’s pretend that I am your Maiden for Hire, which is Yakumo, while you play yourself.  Now, what we are doing is a little role-playing.  I want you to tell me how you feel about me.” “Okay,” Yakumo replied, who was still in her wheelchair, at the time. The Maiden Sara began to act as her Maiden for Hire, Yakumo; the real Yakumo was ready to act. “Now,” she acted, “You have been injured for two weeks.  And you have been a great user.  However, I helped you out in this matter, by cleaning your house.  I hope it wasn’t such hassle.” She bowed, as Yakumo tried to react.  But couldn’t.  She couldn’t understand. “It’s no use,” she sighed, “I tried, but it’s not right.  I just don’t feel right about it.” Sara then asked her Maiden double, “Maybe, it has something to do with Tsukamoto-Senpai, her sister.” “Good thinking!”  The Maiden cheered, “We can bite this thing in the bud.” She then turned to Yakumo and repeated, “Yakumo, your sister has grown fond of me.” Yakumo gasped.  She then reacted, “Sara, please.  Listen to me.  I know you’re not supposed to hear this, but…” She clutched her fist and shouted, “Just leave my sister alone!” Sara shook her head and said, “No, Yakumo!  Don’t act like you hate her.  Just tell the truth about your Maiden.  In fact, pretend I am Yakumo Model.” “I’ll try,” Yakumo responded. She nodded and turned to robot Sara, “Sara, please stop.  I’m sorry, but… I’m just…” She then pretended that Maiden Sara is Maiden Yakumo. She continued, “I’m sorry, but I’m just jealous of you.  I know you’ve been with us for days now, but… but I don’t want you to replace me like that.” Sara then nodded.  She said to Yakumo, “Good.  Now, let’s try again.” Yakumo practiced with the robot Sara, all through the night.  Unbeknownst to Sara, she started to grow uneasy, which led to later, when she confessed to her Maiden.

Of course, there’s a reason why she had jealously and pent-up anger.  The Maiden Sara examined her by checking her blood pressure. “Hmm, it seems your pressure has become a bit high,” she stated, “You must be angry about something.” “Angry?  No, I’m not,” Yakumo said, “I… well, it seems so…” The Maiden the patted her head and declared, “Maybe you need to let it all out.  If you want, I’ll give you a throw pillow to help you cope it out.  Just DO NOT go violent towards your sister or your Maiden for Hire.” Yakumo shook her head and replied, “Thanks, but I am not that angry all the time.” She then thought, “Could it be that I… hated my Maiden me?” She rolled away, leaving the Maiden in concern. “Yakumo… please be gentle towards my sister,” Sara Maiden whispered.

M4H Disclaimer:
You’re probably wondering why each Maiden for Hire called each other their sisters.  Well, whenever each Maiden is created in the same place, they sometimes call themselves sisters, since they were created by ONE group:  Koyomi Mizuhara and her technicians.  Yomi sometimes feel like that her Maidens are her daughters, which seems a bit weird, since they’re robots after all. Trust me, every Maiden for Hire is female; hence the word “Maiden”.

Meanwhile, in present day, Tenma was about to plug the Maiden Yakumo in.  She was drained of her battery, after consoling an angry Yakumo, who heard the news that she’s staying. “TENMA!  NO!”  Yakumo yelled. She stood up and was huffing. “No?  Yakumo, don’t you care what she’ll be, if she dies?”  Tenma whimpered. Yakumo looked away and snuffed, “I don’t care!  I’m NOT recharging her.  Never!  And she can’t die, she’s a machine!” She was mad.  Her face was beet red. “That darn Maiden for Hire!”  She snarled, “Why would she replace me?  I hate that woman!  And YOU… YOU had to be chummy with her, when I was injured.” Tenma dropped the plug and approached Yakumo. “Yakumo, don’t be ridiculous!  I don’t know what you’re talking about!  I’m serious!”  She pleaded. “Have you lost your mind?  That Maiden is a stupid robot!”  Yakumo cried, “I hate her!  I meant what I said about her.  And I don’t care.  I apologize for her presence, but I ain’t apologizing about her existence!” She started to leak tears from her eyes. “What are you saying?”  Tenma asked. Yakumo cried out, “SHE’S NOT YOUR SISTER!!!  I DON’T WANT TO BE REPLACED!!!” “WHAT?!?!?”  Tenma shrieked. She wailed and dropped to her knees.  Tenma was fuming, after hearing the words from her little sister.  She approached her and was angry. “Tenma!  It’s my fault!”  She sobbed, “I hate her!  I hate her!  I don’t want to… be… WAH!!!” “Yakumo…” she thought aloud. But then… SLAP! Tenma slapped Yakumo.  Tenma started to blush deep red in anger.  Yakumo felt her reddened cheek, feeling the slap from her older sister. “Yakumo, stop it!”  She yelled, “Weep and sob all you want, but you’re taking this thing all wrong!  Let me be honest to you:  I WASN’T INTENDING TO KEEP HER IN THE FIRST PLACE!” “Tenma…”  She sniffed. “At first, I was happy that Yakumo Robot was very great.  But then I realized that she was just a replacement for my little sister.  And I know that it was not a good thing.  But, she was great in the house.  Sure, I don’t approve of her outlandish pornographic circuits or her fasting maturity, and that’s why I’m older than you; but she could never replace you and your own personality.” She hugged her and said, “You see… you’re my sister, and I love you, and whether if that person looks like you, real or fake, no one can replace you.  I’m just happy to have the one and only Yakumo Tsukamoto, i.e. my sister.” “Tenma…” They hugged each other and were having a moment. “Tenma, I’m sorry.  I didn’t know,” she thought, “And after all that, you STILL cared for me… my… my… sister.” Yakumo let go of the hug and approached the prone robot.  She placed her on a seated position.  She grabbed the plug on the floor and placed it in the wall.  Yakumo Maiden started to recharge.  The sisters left the room, waiting for her to be fully charged.  Tenma then patted her back and said that it is all right. “Sis, I’m really sorry I acted that way,” she said, “At first, I thought it was a replacement, and then it was for a temporary basis.  But now, I heard that you wanted to keep her.  I felt upset that I was about to be replaced.  I am ashamed of myself.” “Aw, don’t be,” Tenma chuckled, “You think for one second I would replace you?  No way!” She giggled and said, “Tenma, will you ever forgive me?  My behavior earlier was very discourteous.” Tenma then nodded, “I forgive you.  But, you’re going to have to tell the truth and apologize to Maiden Yakumo, understood?  I cannot help you on that.” Yakumo nodded, “Understood.  I know exactly what to say.”

Hours later, the Maiden Yakumo walked to the kokatsu, where Yakumo was sitting.  She sat by her and was sad. “Miss Yakumo,” she said, “Why would you say those words to me earlier?” Yakumo responded, “Well, to be honest… oh, I don’t know.” She bit the bullet and told the robot the truth. “Yakumo,” she said, “The real reason is that I feared the future.  When you came, the minute I became injured, you were friendly with my older sister.  But then, I had a lot of pent-up jealously and anger in me, knowing that Tenma had decided to keep you.  But I don’t want you to stay and act like my replacement; I just want to be happy that you made us get guaranteed service, coming from a Maiden for Hire.  So, please, forgive me for being rude to you.” The Maiden then responded, “Well, I guess I could let it slide.  But, I felt awful, knowing that you are somewhat jealous.  Tenma really cared for you, and I know that, because she told me so.  She said that my services are wonderful, but I could never replace you.” She then told her, what Tenma said to her last week: “Maiden Yakumo, I’m sorry.  I guess me being the older sister was a burden.  You see, I used to think of you as a burden to us.  But when you act and look like my sister, it felt like that I’ve found a substitute sister.  But I can tell you this… no one can replace my sister, even a robot maid like you!  But you have been great help.” “She knew all along?”  Yakumo gasped, “And you never told me?” “I would, but I felt hurt by what you said about your sudden jealously and anger,” the Maiden replied, “Truthfully, she does care for you.  I know it sounds stupid, but… at least be honest.  Whenever you’re hurt emotionally, tell your friends about it.  Don’t act stern and violent; and stop worrying about being replaced.  Tenma could never replace you… with me.  I’m only here temporarily; I’m just a rental Maiden for Hire.  You’d understand, don’t you?” She swelled up in tears and whimpered, “Oh, that little big sister.” The Maiden wiped her tears and asked, “Feel better now?” She smiled and then asked her if she could stay.  The Maiden refused, however. “I’m sorry,” she said, “Unfortunately, you have yet to decide on whether or not you could keep me.  I couldn’t wait anymore, so I must leave you, and I thank you for your purchase of me as your Maiden for Hire.  For now, my services are no longer needed.” She got up and left the living room.  She walked past Tenma. “No, wait!”  Yakumo cried. “Yakumo?”  Tenma gasped. She ran after her Maiden.  The Maiden Yakumo went to the front door.  Yakumo, however, stopped her. “Please… I’m sorry I was rude to you!”  She cried, “I…” “Yakumo,” the Maiden called out, “I’m sorry!  But if you cannot decide, I have to leave.  I’m sorry, but you’re too late.” Yakumo grabbed her arm and started to cry. “Please…” she whimpered and sobbed, “Please stay… please…  I’m… I’m sorry…” Yakumo pleaded her to stay.  The Maiden then looked at her and was concerned.  She then asked if she was serious. “Yes.  After all, Tenma approved of your stay, but I don’t feel comfortable having you forever.”  Yakumo cringed. The Maiden patted her head and said, “Yakumo, don’t cry… I understand, but you were so upset at me.  I just couldn’t stand by and see you break down.  If it means that much to you…” “Please say you’ll stay,” she pleaded. The Maiden let out a smile and responded, “I’ll stay.  But on one condition, you let me do all the work.  If I am staying, you must relax.” Yakumo agreed and said, “Well, can I at least assist you?” The Maiden nodded, “Cool.  I’m there.” They hugged and cherished the moment.  As they hugged, Tenma, who was watching in the hallway, was moved to tears. “Oh, sis!  I’m so glad you let her stay,” she blubbered.

So, for one month, the Tsukamoto sisters owned Yakumo very happily.  As in her programming, she has cooked and cleaned for them.  She also taught them new ways of cooking, especially since Tenma was a bad cook.  As Tenma grew to learn, Yakumo grew to love her Maiden.  And since then, they were inseparable. In fact, during that month, she and her Maiden double went to Harima’s to do his manuscript.  But as he took a glimpse of the real and robot Yakumo at the same time, he suddenly felt dizzy.  He fainted on the floor. “Oh, no!”  She gasped. “Don’t worry!”  The robot cried, “I know CPR!” Of course, he recovered afterwards. When Yakumo was injured, her inner feelings were shattered and balled up.  But when she was free from her plaster wall, her emotions were better than ever.  Also, her ‘vacation’ was a great way to spend more time with Tenma.  She may not like it, but it was like bliss.

But after the month ended, Tenma not only paid the Maiden her services, but she also relieved her of her duties.  Why? “Yakumo robot, thank you for your services,” Tenma smiled, “But now, we must depart.  The only reason you came was when you cheered me and Yakumo up.  Plus, she was injured.” “I understand that,” the robot remarked, “And I am glad that your sister and I are such good friends.” “Oh, well, thank you,” Yakumo said in a nervous titter. The Maiden said to Tenma, “Now, remember, Tenma, if you learn those cooking tips I gave you, you’ll make your friend, Karasuma, very happy.” “Oh, thank you!  I’ll try, but I might not succeed,” Tenma smiled. “Don’t try.  And remember, stay true to your heart,” she said. She then turned to Yakumo and asked, “So, you’re not jealous of me now?” “Well, not anymore,” she smiled, “I am glad that you’ve freed me of my inner hatred.  You’ve been a great help.  OH!  Will I ever see you again?” The Maiden replied, “Well, no.  Besides, if I am still available, I’ll visit you.  You see, when I return to my birthplace, which is the factory in Yagami, my memories will be erased, after my services, but they are used for newer models to learn from what I have done.  But, even if it’s doubtful, I’ll never forget you two.” “Yakumo, I’m going to miss you.” “Don’t feel sad.  You still have Tenma.  And we’ll look back and be happy about it.” “Yeah, you’re right.” The maiden and Yakumo shared a laugh.  But then, they suddenly blushed.  Then they went close to each other and were about to kiss.  But before their lips touched, Tenma blocked them both, in disgust. “NO!  None of that in public!”  She scolded, “I forbid it!” “Sorry,” the robot Yakumo replied, “I do have Pleasure Mode, and you are 15.” “I’m better off keeping it family-oriented,” Tenma said. Yakumo then requested, “Hey, maybe they should bring a Tenma Maiden for us, and we’ll see if that works!” They both laughed, as Tenma was angered. “I didn’t find that funny!”  She thought. The Maiden left their house and bowed to them. “Goodbye,” she said, “And take care.” “Goodbye, Yakumo Maiden!”  Tenma cried. Both sisters waved goodbye.  As they waved, the Maiden walked down the street, heading back to the Maidens for Hire Company.  She disappeared from the distance.  As they saw Yakumo gone, they turned to each other and smiled. “You know, I think we can learn from Robo-Yakumo,” Tenma smiled, “We have to stay true to ourselves.  And even if we have deep feelings inside, we’ll stick it out together.” Yakumo then stated, “Tenma, I think what she was trying to say, the other day, is that we have to let it out, or it’ll hurt us inside.  Maybe you should try it for Karasuma.” She then added, as she held Tenma, “Sis, from now on, I’ll try to be more outspoken and less shy.  I think it’ll be for the best, if the others will agree.  I may not like it, but it’ll take some time.” Tenma smiled, “Aw, that’s good to hear, sis.  And I hope you’ve learned your les--.” GRRRRR… Her stomach rumbled. “Aw, man!  I’m so hungry!”  She whined. “Well, I’ll make you dinner,” Yakumo said, “The Maiden did buy us some food, before she left.” “All right!  But, can I help you cook, sis?”  Tenma asked. “Okay, but…” Yakumo responded. Tenma ran inside, screaming for joy.  Yakumo stayed out for a minute and looked up in the sky. “Thank you, Sara.  You taught me to be honest about how I feel.  And thank you, for making me happy… Maiden Me.” She went back inside, about to help make dinner with Tenma. “And… thank you, most of all… sis.”

Yakumo: Maiden for Hire – The End

The next day at school, Tenma arrived and saw Mikoto, who was in forlorn. “Hey, Mikoto?”  Tenma asked, “What’s wrong?” Mikoto said nothing.  She was holding up a lace cloth, which was a maid’s bonnet.  It had a small tear on it and a little dirt stain. “What’s that?”  Tenma asked. “Oh, this?”  Mikoto replied, “It’s nothing…” She held it tight and wept a lone tear from her eye. “I wonder what’s wrong,” she thought. Akira Takano appeared and wanted to speak to Tenma alone. Outside the hallway, Akira talked with Tenma. “Tenma, Mikoto is feeling down about what happened several weeks ago,” she said, “There was a moment that tore Mikoto up, and it involved Hanai.  Unfortunately, she never told anyone else, but me.” Tenma gasped, “WHAT?  What happened to Hanai?” Akira then responded, “He’s okay, but there was someone who helped Hanai.” “What did he do?” “Not he, it was a she,” Akira responded, “She saved his life.  That lace bonnet she had… it belonged to a Maiden for Hire.” Tenma shouted, “WHAT???” “Surprising, huh?”  Akira smiled. “Poor Mikoto and Hanai.  How did it happen?”  Tenma asked. “You were there,” she said, “You remember, don’t you, Tenma?” Tenma suddenly forgot.  Akira explained the story to her, of how Hanai was saved by a Maiden for Hire… and tragically lost her.

Unfortunately, that story is left untold… until the next chapter.
Stay pinned for “Miko: Maiden for Hire”, the 2nd Maiden Arc in this story.