Big O Fan Fiction ❯ Enigma ❯ Questions ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rating: Teen.
It's a pretty clean story, except for some language and references. Not many of those, though. So, enjoy.
Disclaimer: I DO NOT OWN BIG O. I don't know who does, but it sure as hell isn't me. If it were, I would be getting paid serious cash for this Maybe.
Chapter Three: Questions
“Why am I handcuffed?” Edward asked Dorothy.
“For your own protection.” Dorothy answered.
“Where's Big Enigma?”
“He's safe.”
Edward sighed and looked towards Dorothy.
“I have to use the restroom.” He announced.
Dorothy pointed to a bedpan, lying on the floor, beside the bed.
Edward looked at it, then turned his attention to the ceiling again.
“Never mind.” He said, blushing slightly. He looked at Dorothy again, his eyes glazing slightly as he stared at her porcelain-like face. “You're Dominus must be very happy to have an android like you.”
Dorothy remained silent. Suddenly, the door opened and Roger stepped into the room, dressed in his usual business suit. He looked at Edward and then at Dorothy. He walked up to the bed and held his hand out to Edward.
“Good morning, Edward. My name is Roger Smith.” He said, with usual business-like intent.
“Edward Brooks.” Edward returned as he shook Roger's hand. “Can you explain to me why I'm here?”
“Big Enigma was worried about your well-being, so we're going to look after you for a while.”
“Are the handcuffs necessary?” Edward asked. “It's not like I'll be able to muscle my way past an android.”
“Have there been any problems?” Roger asked, looking at Dorothy.
“Not yet.” Dorothy replied, still watching Edward.
Roger regarded this for a moment, then turned his attention back to Edward.
“I apologize for that, but we weren't certain about how you would react.”
“Well, can they be removed? It'd be nice to take a look around my new…” Edward waved a hand around the room. “Home.”
Roger smiled at Edward's humor, then turned towards Dorothy. She nodded and Roger pulled a key out of his pocket, tossing them to Edward. He caught them and unlocked the handcuffs.
“Thank you.” Edward said, rubbing his wrists. He looked at the tray of food, lying on the nightstand. He stared at it longingly for a few moments, then turned his attention back to Roger. “Would it be possible to have a tour?”
“Not right now, I'm afraid. We'll show you more of your new home this evening. But, unfortunately, Dorothy and I have to leave for awhile. If you need anything, just use the intercom we installed.” Roger then pointed to a device embedded in the wall behind him.
“Is there anyway I can use an actual restroom?” Edward asked, motioning to the bedpan.
Roger looked at the bedpan and chuckled.
“As much as we`d like to indulge your personal discomfort with bedpans, you`ll have to stay here until we`ve finished a few things to make my home… safer for you.”
Edward gave Roger an appraising look. He wasn't sure how much his captors knew about him, but he knew that it mustn't be very much. If they knew everything, he would be under a more securer lock and key.
“What will I do until this evening, then?”
“You're going to have a few visitors today. They'll keep you busy until we return.” Roger said as he turned and walked to the door. “Dorothy.” He said gently as he knocked on the door.
Dorothy stood and gave Edward one last glance, then followed Roger out of the room.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------
Edward watched them leave, then made a quick survey of his surroundings. The door was locked from the outside, so he went over to the window and pulled the curtains. He saw that he was about eight stories up, so that was useless for escape. There was no other exit in the room, so Edward sighed and sat back on the bed. He looked at the food again.
Oh, what the hell. Nothing better to do. He thought to himself as he picked up the glass of orange juice and the one donut. He didn't like accepting food from people he didn't know, but he wasn't going to starve himself. After all, he hadn't eaten for the past two days.
About a half-hour later, someone entered the room that had, long ago, almost killed Edward.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------
Angel found herself entering Roger's mansion-like building, just as he and Dorothy were leaving.
“Is Dan here?” She asked, the moment she saw them.
“Where have you been?” Roger demanded.
“I've been watching everything from Venus' control room. I left maybe a half-hour ago.” She answered. “Is Dan here? I need to speak with him.”
“I think he's in the office, but why were you with Big Venus? Why weren't you with us yesterday when Big Enigma showed up?”
“I couldn't risk showing myself to Edward. I didn't know if he was still as unstable since the last time I saw him.”
“So, you've met him before.” Roger noted. “Well, you can explain everything tonight, when everyone else is here. Edward's upstairs in one of the guest rooms, so be careful. He didn't seem aggressive when I talked to him, but that could change.”
Roger started to walk down the rest of the steps, but Dorothy grabbed his arm and pulled him back beside her.
“Roger and I are going to Beck's to drop off some of my father's research, then we're picking up some groceries for dinner. We'll be back late this afternoon.”
“I'll wear something sexy to dinner for you, Roger.” Angel said as she entered the building.
Roger blushed as Dorothy's hold on his arm grew tighter.
“What?” He whined. “It's not like I ever ask for it.”
“You never tell her to stop, either.” Dorothy answered, stoically.
Just as an argument was about to break out, which would have ultimately led to Roger nursing a black-eye for the rest of the week, a beep interrupted them.
“Yes, Norman?” Roger asked, lifting his wrist-watch.
“I apologize for the intrusion, sir,“ Norman replied, “But it appears that Mister Beck has been admitted to the hospital for food poisoning. The doctor called and it appears that he is in a great amount of pain.”
“Thank you Norman.” Roger answered before ending the transmission. He sighed and turned to Dorothy. “That's the third time in the last two months. When will your sister learn?”
“If you and Beck didn't have such weak stomach's, these thing's wouldn't happen.” Dorothy said, with her usual passive stare.
Roger groaned as he remembered his first trip to the hospital after sampling Dorothy's cooking.
“I guess we'll go pick him up after we get the groceries. Maybe he'll be in a good enough state to leave by then.” Roger said as he unlocked the door to the Griffon.
They both got in the car and took of like a bat out of hell.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------
Angel walked into the building and found General Dastun in the his office. He was listening to the police radio, making sure Paradigm was as quiet as usual. When he saw her, he got up from his desk and met her at the door. He instantly put his arms around her.
“I'm sorry for the sudden departure last night, Dan.” Angel said as she gave him a small kiss. “It was an end of the world situation. It won't happen again.”
“Until the next one comes, right?” Dastun answered with a grin.
“You know me so well.” She laughed.
“Too well, I think.”
With another kiss, it became obvious that the other officers were watching them, so Dastun dropped his hands from Angel's well-curved hips.
“Let's talk later. I'm backed up with paperwork and all types of political bullshit.”
“Tonight,” Angel said with a mischievous smile, “My place.”
“Can't wait.” Dastun replied with a grin. Then he noticed the prying eyes, again. “I'm sorry, but I have to get back to work now.”
Angel watched with a sly smile as he walked back to his desk smile. She couldn't wait until tonight… but until then, she had something to do. She turned and headed towards the elevator. She needed to speak with Edward.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------
“I know you.” Edward hissed, “You tried to kill me.”
“I'm didn't have a choice and you know that, Edward.” Angel said, closing the door slowly. “You killed everyone that was sent to bring you back to the base. It was the only choice left.”
Edward glared at her in silence. He hated her. She gave him this pain. He thought about killing her, right then, but knew that wouldn't bring him any closer in getting out of there. Instead, he tried to buy time.
“Why are you here?”
“I'm just here to talk.”
“Last time you said that, I almost got a bullet in my chest.” Edward smirked.
Angel gave him a look of disdain. She took a few steps forward and Edward took a few steps back, respectively.
“Like I said, Edward. There was no other choice. It was either that, or we had to start a new cycle, and you know that wouldn't have flown with the higher-ups.”
“Well, it's a good thing they're dead.”
Angel looked at the ground. She understood his pain. She'd lost so many friends and family in countless cycles. She was thankful that she had Dan now.
Edward looked at Angel in distrust. One question kept nagging his mind, even though he already knew the answer. But, he needed to ask again.
“Why didn't you bring her back?”
Angel looked up in surprise.
“I've explained that to you countless times.”
“Tell me, again.” He demanded.
“Her core memory was damaged… destroyed.” Angel explained slowly. “Her backups were never recovered, after Fau destroyed the depository. She can't come back. Not even Big Venus can bring her back with her core memory gone.”
“I remember her!” Edward shouted, his emotions getting the better of him. “So does Big Enigma. Use us. Bring her back with us.”
“It doesn't work like that and you know it.” Angel said, sternly. “She was a unique android. There were things about her that neither you or Big Enigma knew. She's gone for good.”
“No!” Edward screamed, the logic of his mind lost amidst the toiling pain. “You bring her back or I'll kill you! I'll kill everything!”
“You tried that already, Edward. You can't bring her back by killing everything.” Angel replied softly. “Don't you think Iris would hate you for doing that?”
Edward wasn't listening. He had fallen to his knees, crying silently.
“Edward,” Angel said gently, as she kneeled in front of him. “It will always hurt. But you need to fight the hate and the pain.” She put her arms around him and held him close. “Iris loved you. That's the best anyone can hope for. You need to push through it and move on. Iris wouldn't want you to be like this.”
Edward remained silent. He was so tired. He didn't want to go on. There was nothing for him to hold on to.
“No.” He whispered, the pain choking the last bit of hope left in him. He grabbed Angel by the neck and slammed her against the wall. “If she can't come back, then there's nothing left for me… I have to die.”
Not again! Angel exclaimed silently. She pulled her small stun-gun from her leg-strap. and filled Edward with 5,000 volts. He started seizing and his legs collapsed from under him. As he lay on the floor, his body limp with electricity surging through it, he glared at Angel with hatred in his eyes.
Angel rubbed her neck and hit the intercom button, calling the officer to the door. When he came into the room, she took his handcuffs and cuffed Edward to the bed.
“I`m sorry for that, Edward. Everything is going to be fine, though. We'll get you through this.” She told him as she hugged his limp figure, again. “But…… If you ever try to choke me, again. I'll taze you where it hurts.”
Edward watched, helplessly, as she walked out of the room.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile, Dori was sitting in a chair next to Beck's bed in the hospital. He had started feeling better a few minutes ago and was taking a nap. Dori felt horrible. Beck never complained when she cooked and now he had been to the hospital more than 5 times. He still ate her cooking, though. Why did he keep taking the chance of dying?
“Hey, babe.” Beck said, noticing Dori sitting beside him, “What's the matter?”
“Why do you keep eating my horrible cooking?” She asked, artificial tears dangerously close to bursting.
“Your cooking isn't horrible, babe. I just have a temperamental digestive system.” Beck lied through his teeth.
“You're lying. Every time you're in the hospital, it's right after you eat food that I prepared.”
“Honey, you're cooking is fine.” Beck lied again, but ended with a snippet of truth, “It's better than when you started.”
“Really?”
“Really…… but can I help next time? I want to make sure it's the way I like it.”
“Of course.” Dori agreed, happily. She knew her cooking was horrible, but she liked it when Jason lied to keep her happy. It was one of her secret ambitions to learn to, someday, learn how to cook…… so she could impress Beck.
Just then, Roger and Dorothy entered the room. They took a look at Beck, who winked in return, then at the smiling Dori. Roger chuckled softly at the sight.
He really hates hurting her feelings. He thought to himself, then spoke to the happy looking couple. “You guys look well off. You ready to get out of here?”
“Roger, old pal, I thought you`d never ask.” Beck said as he sat up. “This place gives me the creeps.”
Beck, strangely, was still in his custom-made clothing. He'd refused the hospital gown, saying that unless it had been hand-stitched by Gregor, they could toss it in the trash. Even while his digestive system was waging a war with his breakfast, he still found the time to be concerned about his looks.
Roger's watch began beeping at that moment.
“Yes, Norman?” He asked, lifting it to his face.
“I apologize for the second intrusion, sir. However, it seems that our guest has had a bit of an episode.”
“What happened?”
“Miss Angel seems to have had a negative effect on him. Their conversation ended with her using a stun-gun.”
“Dammit,” Roger cursed. “Alright, we're on our way.” He said as he cut the transmission.
“Well, we're heading to my place a little earlier than I'd hoped.” Roger told Beck and Dori. “Are you okay with that?”
Beck grunted approval, tying his the laces on his Gregor-patented shoes. Dori nodded silently.
“Okay, let's decide what we'll do on the drive.” Roger said as he led the way outside to the Griffon.
To Be Continued
Author's Note:
Sorry for the delay, everybody. It's been a rough semester well, year at school. I've been trying to rewrite the story, seeing as the beta-test on one of my friends ended horribly. It'll be more akin to it's original ending, which you'll find out later. No spoilers, I'm afraid. ;)
Anyways, thanks for hanging in there. We're almost through it all. And thank you, 7moondance, for your review. The ONLY review by the way, people. Are you trying to drive me insane? Ha, Just kidding……. Not really.
So, there will be a few more chapters to follow, then the climactic ending. It may take awhile. I'm going to be starting a new job soon and it'll be hard to keep up with the uploads. SO just keep hanging in there, people. You'll find out more, soon.
Thank you, everyone especially you, 7moondance, who after giving me horrible grades on grammar and what-not, drove me to clean up the story a bit. Thank you for that IT MADE MY DAY!!! Ha, just kidding thanks for real, moondance. You helped me see how awful a writer I used to be.
And once again…… The new character, Dori, and the friendship between Beck and Roger along with some other aspects, were part of a continuation by A Clockwork Orange. They wrote an entire third season to Big O and have been working on a fourth for a few years, so unfortunately, I'm not expecting that to be continued. It was a darn good story, though. So once again, props to you, Clockwork.