Black Jack Fan Fiction ❯ The Pursuing Evil ❯ The deaths begin... ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Black Jack: The Pursuing Evil
Space Ghost

Disclaimer: I do not own Black Jack or any other creations by Osamu Tezuka. Just writing a fanfic in dedication to the God of Manga. I have made up all the other characters for this fic, with the exception of Dr. Black Jack and Pinoko.




Case 1:



Yuriko had always been a woman that wanted to help and care for others, which was most likely why she became a nurse, rather than being a doctor, like her father, Dr. Heinlin, who was the Chief Medical Physician of the Tokyo Medical Institute and Hospital. She had worked at the hospital for five long years with dedication and pride in her work, and recently she had became the head nurse. Many of the other nurses had believed that Yuriko Heinlin was the head nurse because she was the daughter of the Chief Medical Physician, or boss, of the institute, but it was not so, first of all because even though Heinlin was a kind old man, he did not give rewards to where it was not deserved, and Yurikos work and learning in those five years was definitely worth her reward.

Suddenly the PA system activated , one of the older nurses voice emitted from the PA, saying, Nurse Yuriko, please report to Dr. Heinlins office. Repeat, Nurse Yuriko please report to Dr. Heinlins office.

Yuriko stopped working on the case files on her computer, stood up, and headed toward the head doctors office. Anyone who looked at Yuriko would never guess that she was 32 years old, for she had the body and beauty of a young 20 year old. She had long, silky black hair, voluptuous emerald eyes, but a very innocent face. She walked along the hospital corridor, the ceiling lights shining brightly, almost oppressively onto the hospital floor. As usual, the hospital was quiet, the only real noise you could hear was the faint noise of the televisions in the patients rooms, and your own footsteps; sometimes you might hear the clicking of a computer keyboard from a busy nurse or receptionist, or even the soft voices of the young nurses, gossiping away during their coffee break, but that was all varied depending on the circumstances. Yuriko walked through the corridor until she came to a door with a small rectangular plaque that read Dr. Stewart Heinlin. She gently knocked at the door.

Come in, said a voice from inside.


Yuriko walked in to see her father, Dr. Heinlin sitting behind his desk. Dr, Heinlin was tall, lanky old man with frizzy gray hair that spiked out in all directions, with a short beard with similar spiky gray hair, and large glasses.. You wanted to see me father?, Yuriko said, smiling.


Dr. Heinlin smiled and said, Yes Yuriko, I was wondering if you would mind assisting .and..ahemoverseeing the operation that Dr. Shuzaka will be performing in a few hours?


Shuzaka, the new surgeon? she replied.

Yes, I know he has very good references, but this will be his first actual operation that he will be supervising. Just make sure he doesnt lose his composure.


Sure thing dad.

Thank you dear, but dont tell him that you are overseeing him.

I wont dad.

Yuriko smiled, bowed politely, then started to walk out of the office.

Just a minute Yuriko.., Dr. Heinlin called to her.

Yes, father? Yuriko said, turning around.

You really should settle down and get married. Or at least date someone, Dr. Heinlin said with a smile, I want to see at least one grandchild before I die.

Oh father. I will settle down when I meet the man Im looking for.

And when will that be?

When he decides to come out of hiding., Yuriko said with a smirk, and then left the office, about to return to her desk. But as she was walking down the corridor, she heard a strange commotion coming from patient room 4BA. She stopped for a moment and gently knocked at the door.

Is everything alright in there? she said.

The only reply she received was a piercing scream that caused Yuriko to jump, but she quickly regained her state of mind, and entered the room. There she saw a patient in a hospital gown, crouched defensively in the corner of the room, like a frightened animal.

Sir, are you alright? Yuriko said with a concerned look.

The patient was a young man, no older than 23, he had brown hair, though it was messed up, judging by, according to Yuriko, the man grabbing at his hair violently, brown eyes that had become bloodshot, his skin was deathly pale, and he was sweating terribly. The mans eyes darted about rapidly, then looked straight ahead, staring at Yuriko. Then he screamed at the top of his lungs, his voice cracked awfully, G-Get them away from me! No! DONT TOUCH ME! OH GOD HELP ME!!! Urrrggg!, his screams were interrupted by a sudden spew of vomit that poured out of his mouth heavily

Oh my god! Yuriko screamed, Someone! Get a doctor in here immediately!

The man looked up to see a beautiful young nurse screaming, but he was in such a traumatic state that he could not make out the words. Then the nurse stepped towards him, that was when his vision blurred, and then he blacked out.



Later, in the doctors council room, all the doctors, surgeons, and the head nurse had gathered for a meeting.

We couldnt find anything wrong with his body, Dr. Yorimato, one of the senior surgeons, said.

A small pudgy man spoke up, it was Dr. Sanzin, a younger surgeon, What was the man originally brought here for?

It was a car crash, we had to get rid of a blood clot that had occurred from the crash. I was the one who oversaw his operation., said Dr. Akoga, one of the other senior surgeons.

So when was it exactly when he started to develop these strange symptoms? Dr. Heinlin asked.

We think it was not long before I discovered him, because Selena, the nurse who had been taking care of him said that he was fine earlier this morning., Yuriko said.

So she may be involved, Dr. Shuzaka said.

No! She wouldnt do that Doctor! She is a good person!, Yuriko yelled, taken aback.

Calm yourself Yuriko, Dr. Heinlin said, No one is blaming anyone yet. But I believe we should go over the security camera footage to check for any that might be linked to this. Anyway, should we have a second opinion on the autopsy before we send him to the morgue?


I would recommend it, Dr. Sanzin said, This man died from a set of strange symptoms, intense vomiting, hallucinations, dementia, delirium, and internal bleeding, has had no previous record of these, and has suddenly died from it hours later with no plausible explanation, I think there should most definitely be a second opinion from a higher surgeon.


But who? said Dr. Akoga, None of the world renowned surgeons live or work near us, and I know none of them would take time from their busy schedule to give a 2nd opinion autopsy!



I know of one, Dr. Yorimato said resolutely. All the attentions of his colleagues focused on him. He continued, He saved my daughters life five years ago. It was thought she had no hope of survival, but he saved her. You have probably heard of him. His name is Dr. Black Jack.


What!, Dr. Shuzaka jumped up, Are you out of your god-damned mind?! How dare you even think of letting an UNLICENSED doctor into this hospital!.


Calm yourself Dr. Shuzaka, Dr. Heinlin said, Though I must agree, it may be unwise to trust that doctor. He is unlicensed and charges ridiculous fees for his operations..But, he is considered the best surgeon in the world.. So, I will call him as soon as we adjourn the meeting to have him give a second opinion. Now..are there any other issues to address?. A brief silence, then Heinlin said, Meeting adjourned.



Dr. Black Jack had just finished his lunch, while Pinoko started to clear the table. Black Jack was a handsome man that appeared to be in his late thirties, however, most people shied away from him either because of his mysterious nature. Because the upper part of the left side of face was pale gray, because naturally, that skin was permanently dead, and a line of permanent stitches lined the gap between his normal face, and the dead skin of his face. He had spiky black hair, though half of it was gray, that brushed over to the right side, covering his right eye. When he was not operation, he always wore a black suit with a red ribbon tied about his shirt collar, and whenever he went out, he wore a long black jacket, put he never REALLY put it on, he always let it hand on him like a cape, with the sleeves dangling at the sides of the jacket. A very strange, but very brilliant man.


And Pinoko, Pinoko was an 19 year old woman who was stuck inside the body of a 5 year old girl. For Pinoko had once been a strange conjoined twin who had no visible body, but all her organs, including her brain were functional. Dr. Black Jack had removed the organs from Pinokos twin and constructed the body of a little girl that Pinokos under-developed organs could adjust to. However, when Pinoko had finally become a human, the sister did not want Pinoko, calling her a witch, and leaving her alone. So Black Jack had adopted her as his daughter, however Pinoko believes and has self claimed herself to be Black Jacks wife. Pinoko had short brown hair, her bangs reaching her forehead with 4 red ribbons in her hair, brown eyes, and always wore a pink dress.


Suddenly the phone began to ring. Ill get it, Dr. Black Jack said, standing and walking over to the phone. Dr. Black Jack picked up the phone, Dr. Black Jacks office..Speaking.Oh really..You dont see anything?..Are those all the symptoms?..I seeWell I will have a look..Ill be over in an hour.. Black Jack then hung up the phone, then sat back down.


Who was that? Pinoko asked, with her usual girlish pleasant tone of voice.

That was Dr. Heinlin, the chief medical physician of the Tokyo Medical Institute and Hospital. They want me to go down and give a second opinion on an autopsy., Dr. Black Jack replied.

And youre going? Pinoko asked.

Yep

Will you even get paid for it?

Its not likely, Dr. Black Jack said with a grin.

Dr. Black Jack stood up, and put his jacket on, letting it hang on his shoulders, and head for the door.

Im coming with you!, Pinoko said, running to the doctor.

No your not!, Dr. Black Jack said firmly.

But..

YOU ARE STAYING HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Dr. Black Jack shouted to Pinoko, then left, slamming the door behind him. That girl, he thought to himself. Dr. Black Jack headed to his car, which was a black Buick, and got in the car. He started the car and headed for the Tokyo Medical Institute and Hospital.


Dr. Black Jack reached the hospital shortly after, parked the car, got out and headed into the hospital.

Ah, Welcome Dr. Black Jack, Dr. Heinlin said, smiling warmly.

Thank you Dr. Heinlin., Dr. Black Jack replied.
Er, this is my daughter and head nurse of the hospital, Yuriko, Dr. Heinlin said.

In correspondence with her fathers words, Yuriko stepped forward and bowed politely, and said quietly, Thank you for coming Dr. Black Jack. But Dr. Black Jack simply nodded and smiled.


Would you like some coffee, Dr. Black Jack?, Dr. Heinlin offered.

No thank you. I would like to just get to work., Dr. Black Jack replied.

Very well., Dr. Heinlin said, Yuriko, get him some OR scrubs.

Yes Doctor., Yuriko replied and walked off, Dr. Black Jack following.


Yuriko had several things running through her thoughts now, all of them mind staggering, first there was the strange death of the patient that Black Jack was about to examine, but the most peculiar was the strange sense of shyness and attraction she was starting to see in Dr. Black Jack.


Within ten minutes, Dr. Black Jack was in the OR, performing the autopsy. Patient name: Tobio Hokaido, surgery performed four days before the strange symptoms appeared., Dr. Black Jack said as Yuriko removed the ghostly white cloth that covered Tobio Hokaidos corpse. I will start my making an incision from the upper chest cavity to the groin.. Dr. Black Jack took a scalpel from one of the nurses, and pressed it down to the chest of the corpse, then slowly ran it down precisely till he reached the groin, then stopped. Yuriko pulled the sides of the upper torso to the edges of the table and clamped them down with surgical clamps. Thank you nurse, Dr. Black Jack said, while examining the body. First Dr. Black Jack inspected the heart. Hes not a donor, is he?, Black Jack said. Yuriko slowly shook her head. Good, replied Dr. Black Jack, then using the scalpel, made an incision and cut the heart open. After a few minutes that seemed to last a few eternities, Dr. Black Jack finished inspecting the heart, then did the same with all the other internal organs. After an hour and a half, Dr. Black Jack looked up and sighed in frustration, then said, Well besides the natural effect of decay, I cant find anything wrong.

So we should send the body to the morgue now?, asked Dr. Shuzaka.

No, not just yet, Dr. Black Jack replied, then pressed the scalpel against the corpses forehead, then made a light incision around the cranium. Rotary saw, Dr. Black Jack said.

What for?!, Dr. Shuzaka said incredulously.

Im going to inspect the brain., Dr. Black Jack replied with taking the rotary skull and cutting through the skull in a circular pattern. After finishing with the saw, he handed it to the nurse and lifted the top of the skull, to reveal the brain.

What the hell?!, Dr. Black Jack shouted.

The brain of Tobio Hokaido was covered with a strange green fluid that pulsated like it was a living thing. Dr. Black Jack used his scalpel and carefully scooped up a small amount of the residue and placed it in a petri dish. Have this examined immediately, Dr. Black Jack said, while handing the dish to the nurse.

Yes doctor., replied the nurse, shuffling out with the sample.

Seems like you found out the problem, Dr. Shuzaka said, with a tone that was almost angry, while folding his arms.


Perhaps, Dr. Black Jack said, Dr. Shuzaka, would you mind re-stitching up the body, then having it sent to the morgue?.


Not at all, Dr. Shuzaka said with a forced smile and stepped up to the corpse as Dr. Black Jack left the operating room.


What a jerk, Dr. Shuzaka muttered to Yuriko. But Yuriko made no reply.



Dr. Black Jack removed his OR scrubs, and gloves, then washed his hands in the nearby sink. He then proceeded to head to the research lab of the institute/hospital, to find out exactly what he, and quite possibly the whole human race was up against. But on his way to the lab, he was stopped by a patient bursting from her room in a crazed frenzy. She was about forty, Black Jack guessed, her skin was deathly pale, her eyes blood shot, and she smelled of vomit.



The demons were pursuing Michi from all sides now. They had broken into her hospital room somehow, she called for help, but no one answered. I must escape, she thought. Survival was the only thing on her mind now. So Michi burst from her room, screaming as loud as possible, in hopes that someone would hear her, and help her. But when she turned, she saw a man in black approaching. His skin was blue, his eyes red, and his hair was spiked black that was half gray. Its the devil!, she screamed.





Dr. Black Jack cautiously approached the patient, who had suddenly turned to look at him.


She suddenly drew back in horror and screamed, Its the devil!. Then fell to her knees, hunched over, and vomited intensely on the floor. She sat there shivering for a few seconds, as the nurses and orderlies approached her slowly, then she fell limply into the puddle of her own vomit.

Get her to the OR immediately!, Dr. Black Jack shouted.

One of the orderlies approached the still woman carefully, took her arm, and felt her pulse. After a few seconds, the orderly slowly lowered the arm, then looked up and said, Its no use..Shes dead..



Dead? How could this have happened? Is it possible that she is also a victim of whatever killed Tobio Hokaido? All these things and many more ran through Dr. Black Jacks mind at this moment. But he decided to ignore the thoughts for now, there was still much to be done, and standing around while staring out into space , trying to think, wouldnt help right now. Dr. Black Jack looked to the orderlies, and said, Take her in for autopsy.Make sure they check her brain..

Yes Doctor, the first orderly said as the two male orderlies lifted the woman, put her in a stretcher, covered her up, then headed off.


This is definitely something serious, Dr. Black Jack thought. He continued to walk down the hall, but was stopped by the nurse who had taken the sample for him from the autopsy. She was holding a folder.

Yes? , Black Jack said.

Doctor, we have the results of the sample of the fluid you discovered during the autopsy., the nurse replied while handing the folder to him.

Dr. Black Jack opened the folder to see a microscopic photograph of a strange looking organism, and a chart of the chemical structure of the organism. After looking it over momentarily, he said, Its chemical make-up resembles that of black nightshade poison..But thats impossible.this is a virus.. A living organism.And besides, black nightshade travels from the stomach to the bloodstream. It doesnt go to the brain. He stood silently for a moment, then said, Nurse, bring me a medical dictionary! Quickly!


Yes doctor, the nurse said and walked off quickly to get the dictionary.


She came back soon, this time accompanied by Dr. Heinlin, and the medical dictionary. Dr. Black Jack took the dictionary, flipped a few pages, then read aloud, Black nightshade- poison that is found in the black nightshade plant. Most common symptoms are vomiting, delirium, fever, shock, paralysis, abnormal sweating, and hallucinations. If not treated, will become fatal.. Then Dr. Black Jack closed the book and said, Did Tobio Hokaido have any of these symptoms?


Well, he was sweating a lot, he was delirious.and his eyes were bloodshot., Dr. Heinlin replied.


Thats not all, the nurse said quietly, He when he burst out of the room, he screamed for help and that someone was after him. And he kept looking at nothing, but it looked like he saw something, that had terrified him.

Hallucinations, Dr. Black Jack said, while remembering when that woman thought he was the devil.

What are you talking about? said a voice behind Dr. Black Jack.

Dr. Black Jack turned to see Dr. Shuzaka, walking up to him with the head nurse, Yuriko.


I think I may have the answer to these unexplained deaths in the hospital, Dr. Black Jack said, Well, let me correct myself. I have a theory.


And that is?, Dr. Shuzaka asked dubiously.


My theory is that this is a virus spawned by black nightshade poison., Dr. Black Jack replied.


Oh Really?, Dr. Shuzaka said with a mock grin, And how, pray tell, how was this virus spawned?
Now that Im not sure of., Dr. Black Jack said, Ill have to do some research on it. Dr. Heinlin, would you mind if I used your research laboratory for researching this ?


Not at all Dr. Black Jack., Dr. Heinlin said, Besides, we cant thank you enough for finding the cause.


Lets not jump to thanks just yet. After all, we still need to find the cause of this virus, and if I am correct at all or not., Dr. Black Jack replied, then headed off toward the Research Laboratory.




1.59 A.M.

Yuriko was ready to leave for the night, normally she left much earlier, but there had been seven other deaths, all by the same cause and the hospital was being pressured by several lawsuits, but had been held down momentarily by the announcement of the possibility of a new virus.

Yuriko suddenly stopped when passing the research lab, upon hearing the clicking and clacking of either a computer keyboard or a typewriter. Out of curiosity, she peeked into the lab, to see Dr. Black Jack sitting at a chair, typing something on the computer. Suddenly the phone rang, which Dr. Black Jack answered promptly.

Hello?No Pinoko, I wont be back for a few daysYes, you can.Alright. Goodnight Pinoko., Black Jack said, then hung the phone up.

Whos Pinoko?, Yuriko asked, walking in.

Hm? Oh, I thought you would have left hours ago., Dr. Black Jack said.


I was just about to go home.. Now, who is Pinoko?, Yuriko asked again.


Pinoko is my daughter., Dr. Black Jack replied.

Yurikos heart sank, for she now thought Dr. Black Jack was taken, Oh..does she take after her mother more? Or more like you?

I dont know her mother. You see.Pinoko isadopted., Dr. Black Jack replied.

I see., Yuriko said, Is your wife unable to bear children?

I dont have a wife., Dr. Black Jack said with a polite tone of disinterest as he continued to type on the computer. Now you should go home and get some rest.


What about you?, Yuriko asked.

I will rest when Im done working, Dr. Black Jack replied.

II could help you with--, Yuriko began.
No., Dr. Black Jack interrupted, There is nothing you can help me with at this point. You staying here will only waste your time and energy. Besides, you may need it tomorrow.


Very well Doctor, Yuriko said in utter defeat and left Dr. Black Jack to return to her apartment.



That night, Yuriko had a strange dream. She dreamt she was The Princess Nurse and had been captured by the evil Dr. Baron, whos visage was hidden behind a mask that was in the form of a skull. All seemed hopeless when Dr. Baron was prepared to perform his infamous Death surgery, a process which not only killed the patient, but stole the patients soul.


Its time to put you under now my sweet., Dr. Baron said with a maniacal grin.


Unhand her!, cried a voice the burst into the Operating room dungeon.

There, stood Dr. Black Jack, in shining armor, holding a sword that was crafted like a scalpel.


Knight Black Jack! shrieked Dr. Baron.

Yes, it is I, replied Black Jack.

Heh heh. Well youre too late!, screamed Dr. Baron as he drew a sword that resembles a hypodermic needle, NOW DIE!

Dr. Baron lunged at Black Jack with the needle sword, but Black Jack blocked quite skillfully with his scalpel sword. Dr. Baron tried to stab at Black Jack, but Black Jack jumped back and slashed down hard with his sword, slicing the mask of Dr. Baron in two. The face hiding behind the mask was none other than Dr. Shuzaka! Knight Black Jack lunged down and smote the evil Shuzaka, then, using his scalpel sword, cut her free. Princess Nurse smiled and wrapped her arms around the brave knight, whispering softly, My hero. Then Knight Black Jack leaned down and kissed her gently.


Then came the Annoying buzzing of the alarm clock burst into her dream. Time to wake up Yuriko



An hour later, at the hospital, Yuriko had gotten some coffee and was talking with the other nurses and doctors. All but one doctor was not present in the room was Dr. Black Jack, at least WAS NOT present. Because within a few moments, Dr. Black Jack came into the break room.


Good morning doctor., Dr Heinlin said, Would you like some coffee?

No thank you., Dr. Black Jack replied, I believe I know how the disease is being spread.

All the doctors and nurses suddenly looked up, their full attention to Doctor Black Jack.

I researched the disease, and also the patients that have died from this disease that formed in this hospital. All the patients went under operation BEFORE they had contracted the disease. Though all the patients had different operations, they all had one common traitthey were all given morphine to put them under., Dr. Black Jack said.


Whats your point?, Dr. Shuzaka growled.

Dr. Black Jack continued without hesitation, After my research, I carefully tested all the morphine bags in the hospital, and sure enough, all of the morphine bags that were marked received at 5/11 were not filled with morphine at all. They were filled with the black nightshade poison virus.


WHAT?!, Dr. Heinlin shouted, Those were sent to us just last week!


Dr. Heinlin, are you not the one in charge of receiving medicine at this hospital?, Dr. Black Jack asked.

But before Heinlin could respond, Yuriko spoke, He is normallyBut on that day he was out of town and I was put in charge of medicine receiving..

Dr. Black Jack nodded, then said, Did you tamper with any of the bags or notice anything strange about them?


No.., Yuriko replied quietly.


Black Jack! Are you accusing my daughter of murder?!, Heinlin shouted with rage.

No, Black Jack replied, But something is definitely not right. Contact the man who brings the shipment of medical supplies and have him come here immediately.

Alright, Heinlin said that walked off to his office.

Dr. Shuzaka left the room, nervous drops of sweat upon his brow.


In the next episode, the case continues and troubles get higher as more people die from the Black nightshade poison.