Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Epilogue ❯ Changes ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Epilogue
Chapter One: Changes
He can feel a presence in the room before she can even open her mouth to say anything. He swivels his chair to face the corner she was hiding in, a stone faced expression on his face. She did not belong here, at least not anymore.
So why was she standing there, hidden in the shadows of his office?
“Captain Kuchiki,” he says coldly, “what brings you here?”
Rukia narrowed her eyes at the man, displeasure on her features. “Please don't call me that, Ichigo.”
My name is not Soul Reaper. It's Rukia Kuchiki.”
I'm Ichigo Kurosaki, then.”
The young man had grown into an adult now, she realized quickly. He had filled out in all the right places, as men tend to have that happen when they grow older. His hair had dulled a little, not quite as vibrant as it was in her memories. The white lab coat he wears fits him well, and it's a stark contrast to the black robes of death that used to adorn his body on a nightly basis.
So many changes in so little time.
Ichigo Kurosaki had grown up. Had it really been that long ago?
When will you ever grow up?” she tells him, covering herself up with a towel.
You'd think after living so long you'd have the common sense to lock the door!” he spits out, covering his eyes.
She suddenly feels younger than her years, as she still appears the same as she did when she first met him. The only thing that's changed is that she wears the robes of a Captain, and she wears the customary ornaments of someone that is head of the Kuchiki Noble Family.
“What should I call you then, Miss-Head of the Kuchiki family? Your Majesty?” he scoffed.
She sighs. “I'm a noble, Ichigo, not part of the royal family. There's a difference.”
“Does it matter? You're still all high and mighty, aren't you?” he shoots back at her.
Rukia…you're back,” he said in awe, watching her with wide open eyes.
She smiled triumphantly, unaware that half their classmates where in shock that she had managed to come through a window on the second floor.
“I see you haven't changed much. Still short and annoying, as always,” he tells her, and she feels a sharp pain where her heart would be, if it could beat. He absently shuffles around some papers on his desk, as if to look like he was very busy with his work.
She looks down, suddenly wishing that things did not have to be this way. “Don't make this anymore difficult than it has to be, Ichigo.”
He narrows his eyes at her. “That's Dr. Kurosaki to you.” He notices that she steps back from him, her shoulders tensing up at his admittedly harsh tone of voice.
What are you going to do when you're older, Ichigo?” she asked, suddenly curious.
He had that thinking look on his face, the kind that made him look stupid. “Probably take over the clinic and help people.”
Ichigo,” she says with emphasis, trying to keep her composure, “I've come here for an important reason.”
That familiar scowl that he always wore on his face returns, more spiteful than she could remember.
“What? Do you want me to be a Captain up in Soul Society? They may have gotten to Yoruichi and Urahara, but I have no interest,” he responds coldly.
Ichigo looked shocked. “They managed to convince Sandal-Hat and Yoruichi to go back to Soul Society?”
Soul Society is desperate. They even lifted the exile on Urahara in order for him to return. It was inevitable that this would happen, especially considering how things have been progressing as of late,” she told him.
She figured that eventually they would even ask Ichigo to join their ranks, although she decided not to bring that up until the time was right.
She closes her eyes and responds quietly. “No, that's not why I'm here.”
If she had her eyes open she would've seen a look of surprise on his face. “Then…are you going to use that memory changer of yours on me, so that I don't remember anything that happened?”
She can sense that he's now suspicious. “No, we both know that people with high spiritual energy, such as you, are immune to such things.”
He nods, remembering how neither Inoue nor Chad had forgotten what had happened to them.
Inoue remembers everything?” he asked, swallowing hard. “Does she remember that I…and her brother…?”
Rukia sighed. “It appears that way.”
Then she remembers seeing him like that? Like a monster?”
She doesn't know how to comfort him. There's nothing she can say to ease the worry in his mind, so she remains silent.
“Then why are you here then…Rukia?” he says with concern.
She looks at him, surprised to hear him finally say her name the way he used to. Why did things have to be this way?
I need to go. I can't stay here any longer,” she whispers, trying not to show him the tears in her eyes. They had just consummated their love, and already she was feeling terrible and guilty.
He was so full of life. She, on the other hand, was already dead. He deserved someone that could love him back, someone who he could have children with and grow old together with.
She wasn't and never would be suited for any of those things.
He struggles with what he's about to say. “Don't go. I love you, Rukia. Stay.”
She looks at him, eyes wide in surprise. “I love you too, Ichigo…but I can't.”
She draws her white sword slowly from its sheath. “I've come to kill you, Ichigo.”
To be continued