Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Mistaken Identity ❯ worried ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Discalimer: TK still owns bleach
 
[A/N]
Sorry that it took me so long to update. People, here is what you've been waiting for the sixth installment of mistaken identity. Hope it lives up to your expectation. And everyone else who had reviewed!
Thank you guys for all the wonderful reviews. Its is because of those that I keep writing more and more.
 
 
 
Chapter 6
 
Worried
 
 
 
“Inoue, please, just tell everyone that I'm indisposed or something.” Rukia pleaded. There is definitely no way she would miss going out with Ichigo and his friends. They have promised to tour her around the whole town, including the villages that surround it. Well Ishida was the one to ask but he did say `they' in his invite. The only place that she has visited so far has been the market place because it was closer to the palace and she couldn't risk being lost or being recognized. And now that she has friends who are willing to accompany her, she would be damned to let the opportunity pass. For years she has dreamed of what it was like outside. What life was like for ordinary people, people who did not have the prince for a brother.
 
“But Princes, it's dangerous! What if something bad happens to you? What if someone recognizes you?” Inoue's troubled eyes beseeching not to go.
 
“You don't have to worry about me. I can take care of myself. Plus I won't be alone. I have friends who will accompany me.” She answered lightly while changing into her `uniform' drab blue gown and mousy brown cloak.
 
“Friends? Oh dear Kami! They might be aliens who wanted to kidnap you or something! They might beam you into their spaceship and you're never to be seen again!”
 
Grimacing at her friends' weird ideas. “My friends are not aliens Inoue! They are humans just like us. And phuleez, there are no aliens!” Rolling her eyes upward to emphasize her point.
 
“Then let me come with you. I know with my abilities I can protect you. And I am your friend too right?” Her eyes were once again pleading her.
 
“Stop it Inoue! You know you are my closest friend, but you cannot come with me. Who'll keep everyone away from my room? Who'll make excuses for me while I'm out? Promise, we'll go out sometime, if the opportunity arises. But for now, please, just cover for me.” Rukia said earnestly, hoping that Inoue would relent.
 
“Fine” the other girl said with a dejected sigh “but tell me one thing, is your friend or friends a he or a she”
 
Huh? What does it has to do with anything? Looking blankly at Inoue, she saw a determined look in her face. Oh hell, she's pretty serious with her question. Totally unaware of the reasons behind Inoue's questions “They are all guys. Why do you ask?”
 
Oh dear! The princess better not be dating that guy, whoever he is, that she is referring to as a friend! Kami! What if the said friend was the one the princess fell in love with? What if he was the reason why the princess was asking the whys and hows of getting married? I must stop her at all costs! Forming a plan “Fine, you can go princess. But promise me you'll be careful.”
 
Hugging Inoue “You're the best Inoue!” and ran out of her room. Making sure that no one, absolutely no one sees her.
 
Inoue on the other hand immediately went to her own suite and also changed quickly. I must know, she thought. I must follow her and stop her. Oh when I see that no good rascal of a devil who wants to take our princess away from her heritage and rob her dead cold, I'll make him regret he was ever born!
 
Inoue was walking quickly, preoccupied with thoughts about the princess, she didn't see Gin catching up with her, till he spoke up “What seem to be the problem Miss Inoue?” he asked
 
She gasped, looking directly into his creepy smiling face. “Looks like you are making haste. To where, I just wonder”
 
“I…I…eh…I'm…the princess is feeling nauseous and her stomach has been paining her since early this morning. So I'm off to the woods to collect some herbs that should help her recover.” Kami! Let him believe my lie. Or there'll be hell to pay from the prince!
 
“My, my, we can't have the princess fall ill now can we?” he said, the smile never leaving his lips. “What can I do in way of assistance?” Before Inoue could answer that she doesn't need any assistance at all. “Let me just accompany you to the woods. Maybe I could help gather what our princess needs”
 
“Uh…erm…I was thinking maybe someone from the fourth patrol do it. You see, I can't actually leave the princess for long hours.” Please agree. I don't want to spend my morning with Sir Gin!
 
He looked at her for a few agonizing seconds, though he still wore his usual smiling face, she knew he was actually seizing her up. Kami please! She silently begged, while keeping her expression as neutral as she can. “Very well” he said after what felt like hours “I'll send someone from the fourth patrol to the princess' chamber to fetch you what you need.
 
---------------------------------------
 
“Tell me again why I have to do this?” Ichigo wailed at Ishida. He was wearing his usual black hakama, his zanpakuto slung over his back.
 
“For the nth time Ichigo, Chad and I need to be here when your father's emissaries get here. We will buy you more time with your dad.”
 
“And why the hell can't I do that myself while you two go traipsing all over with that midget?”
 
“Because you are the one who needs to get to know the princess. Remember she knows the princess. This way you can ask her about the princess and in the process somehow get to know something about your future bride, while Chad and I hold off your father. It's like hitting two stones in one bird.” Ishida explained patiently.
 
“Damn stupid arrangement” Ichigo muttered but left none the less. Ishida smiled wickedly. “Why ever I am helping him I really do not know” he murmured to himself while adjusting his eyeglasses with the tip of his index finger. Chad just chuckled “coz you are a good friend, that's why”
 
---------------------------------------
 
“Renji” Byakuya said stolidly “stop fidgeting.” They were inside the confines of the royal coach. He knew his young knight was excited to meet the king and have his approval. But his constant movements are starting to get on his nerves.
 
“I'm sorry sire, I, are we really going to see the king?” Renji asked for the nth time. He knew it was irritating the prince but he cannot contain himself. If everything goes well, he might, he just might have his wish granted. He knew that the prince also would be presenting him to the king. He had served Prince Byakuya well and he has proven his worth as a knight. Now he only has to prove himself to the king. If only the king would grant him his wish.
 
Instead of answering, Byakuya just sent him a glare. Telling him clearly that he has no time and patience for his antics.
 
Meanwhile, Byakuya looked back out the window, for days he had been trying to guess why the king wanted to talk to him. What could be so urgent that he had to go two months early to the court. Upon receiving the king's summons, he had already felt a sense of foreboding. He cannot think of any good reason why the king wants to talk to him immediately, except one, Rukia. And thinking about it doesn't make him feel any easier. I hope it is not what I think it is, he thought.
 
-----------------------------------------
 
They're late, she thought. She has been waiting for quite sometime now and no one has arrived to pick her up. She was sitting in a tree branch, hiding, just in case someone from the palace comes along. She was already feeling anxious. All her excitement have seemed to drain out from her with each passing second. Surely they didn't forget about their outing right? They could not have stood her up. They wouldn't do that to her, right?
 
Just as her hopes had started to plummet, she saw a flash of orange, slowly making its way towards her. They're here! Thank god! The thought of not being able to tour the whole town was enough to bring tears to her eyes. Wait! Why is he alone? Where is Chad and Ishida? Surely they do not intend to leave her alone for the whole day with the orange haired freak?
 
Oh yeah, alone, the whole day, with Ichigo. She remembered his hand holding hers, the feel of his warm firm back. She could feel heat rising up her neck and face. Her heart beat accelerating. Why do I have to remember it now? Damn! And why am I feeling so flustered just because of this freak? I can't understand it.
 
Standing beneath the tree, Ichigo was muttering to himself. “Damn pesky midget! You'd think she'd have the decency to show up on time” Looking left and right, hoping to catch a glimpse of her black hair, her petite stature, and her eyes. Her beautiful beguiling eyes. Those blue orbs that he could get lost in. Shrugging the thought aside “Damn stupid midget!”
 
Midget? Midget? Jumping down from the branch, her knees connected with his shoulders sending him face down in the ground.
 
“Humppp!” he had already felt her presence in the branch before she attacked him. He knew she would somehow do something but for the life of him he can't think why he had let her do what she just did. He could have just easily caught her midair. But he didn't. Why?
 
“Get off me!” Seeing that she had successfully brought him to his knees she stepped of him. “What the hell was that for anyway” Rubbing his sore nose and standing up.
 
“You're late” looking down the ground she added “I thought you guys stood me up”
 
He heard the sadness in her voice, and felt his own heart laden.
 
“Anyway, where are Ishida and Chad?” She asked while trying to see behind him to see where the others.
 
“Uh…something came up…eh…they could not come…so…um...Im going in their stead.” Scratching his head, while silently praying that she'd be fine with the arrangement. Why her opinion matters to him he doesn't know.
 
“Oh…” she seemed unsure and his heart felt like lead. She doesn't want to spend the day with me he thought. Wait! What the hell?! If she doesn't want to then the more so the better for me right? I mean, I really didn't want to be with her right? Right. Erm...of course right!
 
“Ouch!' Hopping on one foot while trying to nurse the other leg. She just kicked him in the shin! “What was that for?”
 
“Well you promised that we will walk around the villages today and you are wasting precious time by just standing there scowling!” she said authoritatively. “Come on already!” Walking ahead, as if she knew he would follow.
 
“Damn prick of a midget!” he said under his breath, trudging behind “Owww” a stone landed on his head
 
“I heard that!” the prick of a midget said.
 
------------------------------------------------------
 
They have been walking for some hours now but neither felt the passing of time. Both quite engrossed with their surroundings.
 
Rukia was very much taken with everything that she saw. The open fields where farmers grew their crops, children playing freely, men and women busy with activities of daily living. How very different it is form the life inside the palace. Here the people could be themselves. They could scream and run around, or work or just bum around if they wanted to. She saw a man and a woman walking linking their hands together, while the woman leaned her head in the man's shoulder. The act so intimate it made her blush. She saw a little boy copying his father's actions while tilling the fields, his father quite proud with his little boys' accomplishments. She wondered when her nii-san last looked at her in such a way. She saw a little girl cry out for her brother when she scrapped her knee and saw her big brother run up to her, concern written all over his face. Did nii-sama ever felt like that towards her? Everything was different. Different from the world she grew up in.
 
Ichigo didn't know when he started watching her, but her face was so open and unguarded, every emotion and every thought that has passed in her head can clearly be read in her face. He has never observed her to be so…relaxed. Her whole demeanor was one of eagerness, as if this is all new to her. He saw awe, sadness, curiosity and longing in her eyes and face. He saw her face flush upon seeing a couple walk by. He saw sadness register in her eyes by watching father and son work in the fields. He saw longing when they came upon a brother trying to comfort her sister who got hurt. She has one of the most animated and revealing face he has ever seen. It wasn't just her eyes, but her lips and brows work so well together conveying her feelings so transparently. And he can't help but be captivated, entranced.
 
They were nearing the outskirts of the village when she heard a crash, and a wail, definitely from a kid. Her eyes quickly scanning and assessing the whole area. Then she saw a big bully of a man, trying to slap a kid away from his arm. The kid, though battered and bruised didn't let go of the arm. “Give it back to me!” He shouted as he struggled to remain hanging in the man's arm.
 
Acting on impulse Rukia ran to help the kid. “Let go of him you oaf!” Challenging the big guy head on.
 
Ichigo was sure she was just there right in front of him a minute ago. Where the hell… looking around he saw her , and heard her challenging a big drunk guy. How the hell did she get there? Why did I not notice it? Coz you were so mesmerized by her that's why! His conscience told him. He saw the guy throw over the kid and started to go after Rukia. “Shit!” Running like crazy to save her.
 
This day couldn't be better for me, Yammy thought as he saw the petite girl in front of him. I bet she would taste like sweet nectar. Grinning madly “Hello little princes, care to play with lil Yammy for a while?” Running his tongue on his lips, and reaching out for her.
 
Disgusted, Rukia dodged his arm, she somersaulted over Yammy, and dealt a quick blow at his nape. Landing behind Yammy, not missing a step, she then kicked him on the back causing him to stagger and land face down on the ground.
 
Ichigo could not believe his own eyes. Rukia just did a kido maneuver effortlessly. If he didn't know better, he'd say that she just tapped her hand in the guys nape. But he knew better, and he knows that though it might look like an ordinary blow, she had used kido in her hand movements causing the guys brain to stop working. He could not believe that this tiny form of a girl could possibly be better than him in kido! Where did she learned to do that?
 
Rukia, unaware of just how much she had revealed to Ichigo went directly to the kid. “Hey, are you ok?” she asked gently. The kid was clutching a brown stuffed plushie that looks like it had seen better days. His brown hair in a mess, his cheeks starting to swell, his brown eyes puffed from all that crying.
 
“nee-san!” the kid said and jumped at Rukia squishing her in a tight hug. His face burrowed in her chest. Rukia who was caught unawares looked at Ichigo, pleading, asking silently what she should do. Grabbing the kid from the collar of his shirt Ichigo lifted him and tore him away from Rukia. “Get your filthy hands away from me” struggling to get away from Ichigo. “I want my nee-san!”
 
“Shut up brat!” Ichigo said shaking the kid. “Not one finger on the midget here you got that?” He was possibly about 10 years old. Trying to kick Ichigo but failing “I am not a brat! I have a name and it's Kon!” Teary eyed he looked at Rukia “nee-san! This gaki here is bullying me! Oh save me sweet nee-san!” arms outstretched, still trying to embrace Rukia.
 
“Eh…hehe…” While putting much needed distance between herself and the clingy kid.
 
-----------------------------------------------------
 
“At last, damn kid, so persistent.” Ichigo said trying to catch his breath. Rukia on the other hand was also doing the same. They just had lost Kon. Seriously, how could one kid cause so much trouble for them? Rukia thought.
 
“At least we lost him now” dusting off her dress she started to walk again but Ichigo grabbed her hand, making her face him. She was about to shrug him off when she saw the seriousness on his face. Slowly “Don't you ever do that again, you understand?”
 
“Do what?”
 
“Run amok like that challenging someone who's thrice, no, five times your size! You could have been hurt!” All his frustrations at the earlier event had caught up. He knew he was somehow hurting her in his grip but he couldn't seem to stop himself. Right now he has to make her understand what it felt like for him seeing her so close to danger.
 
“I…I…the kid needed help.” Eyes downcast
 
“And what you would have done had the guy been faster than you? If you have been hurt…” If she had been hurt what? His brain asked him? Why do you care anyway? Why do you care so much? Argh! I don't! I don't! Releasing her hand quickly, “Just don't do it again” and he started walking again.
 
What was that all about? What's gotten into him anyway? Is he…was he…worried about me? Somehow the thought that he is worried for her sent a warm fuzzy feeling in her chest. Yes a very warm and very good feeling inside her chest.
 
 
 
[A/N]
So what do you guys think? I just had to include Kon :)
I actually had a tough time developing this chap. Specially the scenes with Ichigo and Rukia. I didn't want to venture off too far from their original character characteristics. And seeing as both my main protagonists are such willful and stubborn beings.*sweatdrops*
 
Anyway, plot is developing quite nicely if I may say so myself. You'll get to see more of Byaku-bo and Renji and the next chap. Oh, and maybe some green eyed monster too! Depends on your reviews.
 
And if you guys wanna see the next chap earlier, you might as well start clicking on the review button and send me some reviews and reactions. Give me at least 15 and I'll post the next chap immediately *smiles evilly*