Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Paradox ❯ A Coin ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Loose lips sink ships, they say. I want to know who "they" are. They bind my wrists and hold my mind hostage. If they say that loose lips sink ships, then I say it's time to let the cat out of the bag.
There is no true good and evil; there is only power and what you choose to do with it. There are no truth or lies; there is only reality and how you choose to perceive it.
This is my perception of reality. My truth... or my lie. I am Uryu Ishida, the last Quincy... Or am I?

Like oil and water, opposite poles of a magnet, both liquid, unfailingly gravitating towards one another, he is darkness where I am light and light where I am darkness. He is both restriction and freedom where I am both emotionless and emotional. Kurosaki and I are a paradox: two separate entities both dissimilar and identical enough to be mistaken as one. We are two sides of one coin, he and I.
His inner demon is far more obvious than mine, but no more cruel and calculating. The Hollow side of him brings out many extremes in me; some may claim the best, others the worst. The Shinigami side does as well. However, the human side that I first observed was a genuinely good human being, if one exists.
That's a two to one disadvantage, and as I said, my inner demon is no less vicious than Kurosaki's.

Once upon a time, I had decided to kill Kurosaki Ichigo, as well as any other Shinigami who possessed the misfortune to meet me. However, I possessed the misfortune, or, following with our theme of paradoxes, the fortune. Kurosaki showed me the difference between selflessness and selfishness. He was selfless. I and the Shinigami I hated so much were selfish. I both damned and blessed his humanity, for his willingness to fight for others set an example for me, one that I could never hope to meet. When another's life is worth more than your own, you overcome the most crippling human limitation in existence: not death, but fear of it. I overcame this fear. Do not mistake me for a kind person; I did so through a selfish desire to personally defeat Kurosaki.
And yet, every time, I lost. Again and again, I was beaten bloody and senseless, and where I would have killed my enemy a thousand times over, he left me there, ultimately capable of fighting him once more.