Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Zanpaku-to? ❯ Effective Cruelty ( Chapter 56 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tite Kubo owns Bleach.  I just borrowed the characters.  I do own Atonomatsuri (the bird) and Piecrust (the jerk).  I make no money from this work.  However, writing it makes me laugh.

Effective Cruelty

The seat was okay, the table was stable and the sake warm.  He was pleased it was warm because he’d heard once warmed alcohol was more effective at getting people drunk.  He didn’t care whether it was true, or not.

The sake bowls were the conventional slanted side shallow cups with a design of cranes and some flower.  Maybe water lilies?  

A crane.  That’d be right.  First they had to try and create a crane out of paper and then they were drinking out of cups decorated by a picture of the bird.  It wasn’t irony.  Irony was unplanned. He wondered who’d decided to make a point out of reminding them they had both failed at folding paper.  He grunted, stopped looking at the cup and drank the contents.

Kurotsuchi also drank and made an exclamation of disgust.  “This sake is barely worth the water in which it is heated.”

Ise raised her eyebrows delicately.  “It was not chosen for taste.  It was selected as one of the more potent varieties.”

“Wait a moment.  At first you said it is ordinary sake and now you state it is one of the more potent types?  Which is it?” Kurotsuchi barely raised his voice, but Zaraki wondered if he was shocked.

“It is ordinary, but contains a higher proportion of alcohol,” Ise explained patiently.  “It should prove more efficient.”

“In getting us drunk,” Zaraki added quickly.  “Fine by me.  Don’t care how quickly I get drunk, in fact the faster the better.” He almost added an insult to Kurotsuchi, but something made him stop.  “Do you want to test us now?”

“If you cannot walk a straight line after one cup of sake, then neither of you are Captains,” the amused voice of Ise’s Captain commented.

Ise gave a cool look to her superior who had wandered over and hesitated by the table.  “Can’t I join in?” he asked innocently.

The laughter which greeted his request did not please the judges. Kukuchi replied, “You are not taking part in the challenge.”

A small but warm smile crossed Kyoraku’s face.  “I could be the benchmark.  If I’m drunk and these two Captain’s aren’t then won’t it prove the challenge is reasonable and not biased in any way.”

Zaraki noticed Ise cheek became slightly indented, almost as if she was biting it. Time passed and Ise slowly nodded and walked over to the judges table where she spoke to them, quietly.  A look of disgust passed over the 6th Division captains face and once more the Captain-General walked over and spoke firmly, but in a hushed tone.  Zaraki strained to hear what was said, but the words were indistinct.  

Ise returned, her eyes showing a glitter of anger as she observed her superior officer.  “You may participate, but you are not permitted to interfere.  Captain Yamamoto pointed out it would be wise to have one person who isn’t involved to check how the two competitors are progressing.”

Her Captain pushed his hat back on his head and gave her a slow smile. “Don’t be unhappy with me Nanao.  It’s only a little sake.”

She frowned at him, while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.  “When is it ever a little sake?”

A wounded look passed over Kyoraku’s face. “Nanao.  A man has needs.”

Her hissed response could not be missed.  “Alcohol is not a need.  It’s an addiction and you drink too much.”

Zaraki watched the exchange with interest.  It was amusing how the 8th Division Captain was both trying to appease his subordinate while at the same time stubbornly resisting her demands.  It might make life interesting, if a little complicated.  Once again, appreciation of his own assistant captain nudged him.  She might eat her own weight in sweets and snacks but he always knew when she was trying to manipulate him.  It amused him to indulge Yachiru, and when she thought she’d conned him into doing something the smile she wore made him smile in response.  Watching the man cope with a dictatorial subordinate who seemed full of criticism and complaints, made him feel both smug and saddened that his fellow officer permitted this type of behaviour.  

“Why does he let her get away with that?” he asked Atonomatsuri, not really thinking of the consequences.

She snorted and said sourly, “Get away with what?  She’s merely expressing her opinion, but then you don’t like strong minded females.”

“You’re wrong.  Retsu is a strong minded female and so is Yachiru.  I hate the nagging.”

“Men nag more than women,” Atonomatsuri shot back.  “They say they are proving a point, but it’s nagging by another name.”

Deciding to quit talking to the bird before she began another diatribe, he watched as Kyoraku appeared to agree with Nanao but still got his own way.  It was an achievement.

“Kenpachi, Mayuri; let’s drink,” he said once he sat down.  “I’ll match you, cup for cup.”

“You’re one cup behind,” Zaraki said grinning as he watched the man down the cup quickly.  

“Not now. I’ve had worse sake,” he shrugged.  “Not often.  Please pass me the pickled vegetables.”

In doing so, Zaraki snagged a few rice crackers and some of the vegetables.  Kurotsuchi ate some nuts sulkily while Nanao poured out more sake, with a disapproving look on her face.

“Keep pouring, woman.  Speed is more important than appearance.”

“Captain Kurotsuchi, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t speak to my Assistant Captain in that manner.  Her name is Nanao or Assistant Captain Ise, not woman,” Kyoraku said mildly, or so it appeared, but the gaze he turned on the man was not in the least benevolent.  Zaraki had witnessed this dangerous calmness previously and was eager to see if the Clown Captain would be careful, or foolish with his response.

The 12th Division Captain looked at him with his normal wide eyed stare, his eyes appearing like two flat discs that reflected nothing except his own overwhelming confidence.  He didn’t say anything and the other captain returned his stare.

“I thought this was meant to be about drinking, not staring,” Zaraki said loudly.  “Where’s the next cup of sake?”

Ise placed the cups quickly in front of each of them, moving in such a manner that she blocked the staring.  Zaraki immediately gulped his down and ate some more snacks.  The only effect he felt so far was a small, warm glow in the pit of his stomach and a growing distaste for drinking with a man he didn’t like.  If the other captain had not joined them he might have lost his taste for sake, even the good stuff and that would have been a tragedy.

“The lovely women we are blessed to have among us do not require rude or abrupt words, but gentle, considerate actions and kind sentiments.  Don’t they, my sweet Nanao-chan.”

A faint touch of pink touched the woman’s cheeks and she dropped her eyes slightly.  “I prefer politeness,” she admitted.

“See, Captain Kurotsuchi.  A little kindness is much more effective than cruelty or being rude.”  The charming smile that accompanied the words contained an even bigger warning.   The small flicker of his eyes seemed to challenge the man to say something, anything which might be considered  even slightly insulting.

“Subordinates have to accept they aren’t in charge.  The sooner they are shown their place and learn to respect the status quo, the sooner it is easier for them to accept and conform,” Mayuri said loudly as he gulped his cup of sake.

Zaraki wondered for a moment and then shook his head wryly.  The man couldn’t be affected by two or three little cups of sake.  It was his natural arrogance which was directing his words.

“Conformity is good for soldiers when they are fighting, but it makes a rather one dimensional person.” Kyoraku’s voice and expression were even milder; his eye reflecting a sleepy quality, but the tension in his shoulders and neck was evident.  

“Yeah.  Being like everyone else is boring and I don’t want to dress like you,” Zaraki shot at the 12th Division Captain.  “More sake, Ise,” and catching Kyoraku’s eye he added, “Please.”

The woman quickly served more sake and as one, they picked up the cups and swallowed the contents.

“Have some nuts,” Kyoraku said offering him the bowl.

The offer was welcome and as he crunched the salted nuts and then ate some pickled vegetables.

“What’s your favourite snack?” the man asked.

They were chatting about snacks now?  Why not?  Chatting was better than sitting in sulky silence with a man he didn’t like, drinking sake for the sole reason of getting drunk.  He had begun to enjoy the company when he drank with Retsu and the others. The conversation, the jokes and finding out a few surprising things about the people he’d lived among but hadn’t known.

Then he tried to think.  What did he enjoy?

“Rice and pickled vegetables.  Salty crackers.  Anything that has a crunch and salt is good by me,” he said thoughtfully.

“Salt and crunch.  An interesting method of determining snacks, but rice doesn’t have crunch.”

“But it takes the bite from pickles that have been seasoned too much.”  His stomach was no longer warm, but uncomfortable.  Was mixing vinegar and sake a good idea?  

Kyoraku shifted his hat off his face slightly. “True.  Very true.  Sake needs food.  Nanao, can we have some rice?”

She had obviously been listening and shook her head gently, and in a tone more than touched with irony  asked,  “There are already snacks, Captain.  Rice.  Do you want Sukiyaki and Shabu-shabu as well?”

“Nanao, sweet Nanao, that would be very nice.  Thank you for asking.  A meal would be ideal.” Kyoraku answered so gently her flush grew more noticeable.  

“I didn’t mean…. Oh, captain.  Why?” Ise was flustered.

“We are hungry.  We are drinking.  You offered, dear Nanao.  Will it be here soon?” Kyoraku gave her his charming smile.

“Yes, Captain.” She rushed off and spoke urgently to the judges who again conferred in a whispered argument.  Again the Captain-General interceded whispering at length and shortly a subordinate was summoned and after receiving instruction, nodded and ran quickly.

“Good idea,” Mayuri said, nodding approvingly.  He nodded again, and then once more.  

Was the man getting drunk?  

“More sake?” Kyoraku suggested pleasantly and Ise poured quickly.

The men again quickly drained their cups and Ise filled them once more and again.

Three cups later food was quickly placed on the table.  How it was obtained and served so quickly, Zaraki didn’t know.  A woman wearing a kimono sat at the table and began preparing the Sukiyaki in the traditional way.  He knew it was Sukiyaki once the bowl of raw egg in which to dip the hot food was placed in front of him. The cursory glance he gave to the woman preparing the meal didn’t lead to recognition.  It was possible she had been hired from one of the eating establishments where they might have the ingredients on hand.  He didn’t care.  At least it might be a decent meal with some sake.  Pity about the Shabu-shabu.

“The judges agreed to the meal as it soothes some of their concerns and Captain Yamamoto directed them to put aside their dissension.  The Sukiyaki will replace your evening meal.” Ise explained quietly as she poured again.

“Rice is nice,” the 12th Division captain observed as he was given a bowl.

Had the man had a personality transplant?  ‘Rice is nice’ didn’t sound like anything he’d say normally.  Or did alcohol make him a pleasant person?  If so, the man should be permanently drunk.

Kyoraku’s looked at Zaraki, an eyebrow quirked in amusement.  “Rice is nice.  It’s even better with meat.”

Kurotsuchi nodded and drank the fresh cup of sake that was poured for him.  Then he sat forward and said in a confiding tone, “I’m not used to sake.  I drink spirits normally. If I have sake I only have a few cups at a time.”

It didn’t make much sense to Zaraki.  Sake had a lower alcohol content than spirits.  If the man habitually drank rum or other spirits, then why was he succumbing so quickly?  He had to know the alcohol content was less.  He was a scientist, supposedly.

Admittedly he was feeling a little tired, but not too bad.  He inclined his head as he accepted the bowl of rice and picked up the chopsticks.  Shovelling the rice into his mouth his felt his stomach ease.  Too many pickled vegetables.

The woman began serving the meat and vegetables.  As he ate his energy returned, the food counteracting to some small degree the effects of the drink, but not enough.  He was fascinated to watch how eagerly his foe was eating the food, stopping every so often to drink the sake poured.

“The contestants have now consumed 10 cups of sake,” Ise announced.

Was it really 10?  He hadn’t been counting as the importance of the competition diminished with each mouthful of sake.  He sort of cared if he won.  Kurotsuchi seemed to be flagging quickly and his recent admission about his drinking habits inspired more confidence.

As he looked at the man, he noticed a switch in his behaviour.  For some reason it appeared eating was restoring his sobriety and the relaxation which had so unnaturally transformed the man was replaced with his usual unpleasant demeanour.  Eating wasn’t having the same effect on Zaraki which wasn’t a surprise.  10 cups of sake wasn’t a large amount for him to consume, especially if he was eating.  The main effect was the relaxation and the increasing belief that this competition, in fact all the challenges and competitions weren’t important.  They’d finish soon enough and life would once more return to the normal arguments with Atonomatsuri, trying to avoid paperwork and seeking a decent fight with a talented foe.  The last was the one which interested him the most.

Briefly the memory that he’d promised to try to train Piecrust imposed itself into his mind and he quickly flicked it away.  Yeah, training the jerk wasn’t the biggest worry.  How was he supposed to teach the fool to bankai when he had trouble holding a wooden sword and following simple instructions?

He drank the next cup but his mouth curled at the flavour.  Instead of becoming more tolerant of the sake, he was finding it pleased him less the more he drank.  Wasn’t it meant to deaden the taste buds after a certain amount of time?  To counteract the taste, he ate some meat.  Even the sake used to cook with seemed to be more pleasant than the stuff he was drinking, or maybe it was mirin she was using.  For a moment he contemplated swiping the rest of the cooking wine, but realised problems might follow.

Then he glanced again at the food.  Most of it was gone.  Who’d eaten the majority?  He felt full, not bloated or lethargic.  Ise’s commanding officer looked relaxed as always as he tried to supress a small belch.  Kurotsuchi did not appear contented.  He was surreptitiously rubbing his stomach and moving back and forth apparently in search of a comfortable position in which to sit.

“I need to be excused,” he said abruptly.  “Now!”

Ise looked concerned, or was she really concerned?  Why didn’t she seem surprised by the request?  Instead she frowned slightly and glanced at the judges and back at the Clown Captain.  “I’ll have to check with the judges about the rules.”

Kurotsuchi lurched to his feet.  The sobriety resulting from the food, which Zaraki believed he’d witnessed was all but faded.  The man was swaying slightly and did not appear steady on his feet.  Due to the makeup, any changes to his complexion were masked.

“I said: I need to be excused.  Now!” he repeated louder and with more urgency.

Ise dashed to the judges and they conferred quickly all of them casting worried looks at the 12th Division Captain. As they talked, the man became more agitated, tensing as if he were preparing to run.

Kuchiki stood up and said loudly, “The three of you will be excused for five minutes.  All of you will be escorted to the same facilities.”

Three male Shinigami appeared and all of them were forced to run to keep up with Kurotsuchi who now seemed intent on breaking the 4 minute mile.  Zaraki ran, but not as fast as he could.  Keeping up with the rest was all he intended and arriving at the facilities, he heard a loud retching sound accompanied by the expected sounds of rejected food hitting the water’s surface.

Kyoraku’s face wore a wry expression and he raised an eyebrow at Zaraki.  “Was it the food?”

Zaraki began to feel queasy.  Was it the food, or the sake?  A quick glance at Kyoraku indicated he had paled also.  “I feel slightly unwell also,” he gabbled as he quickly made his way to a stall.

Fortunately there was a third stall and Zaraki made it just in time.  He shuddered as the food he’d enjoyed so recently was lost.  A cold sweat beaded on his forehead as his stomach clenched again.  The food or the sake.  It had to be one of them causing this problem.  Other explanations didn’t cover only the three people competing being affected by the illness, but who had caused it and why?

“Captain? Captain!” Ise’s called urgently from the door.

All Zaraki heard in reply was more retching and was relieved it wasn’t him though the thought only lasted a few seconds before the heaving of his stomach again forced him to close his eyes and give into the unpleasant sensations.

“Captain, I’m sorry!”

Zaraki’s eye’s snapped open.  She was sorry?  Was she the cause of this nausea?  Normally he only found Kurotsuchi induced a feeling a illness.  What had she done?

“I thought if you were sick in public you might stop drinking so much.”

At least she was honest, but the public nature of this might cause too much embarrassment to her commanding officer and the loss of face may cause a rift between them which might never heal.  It stunned Zaraki that the woman had taken such a chance for a possible negative return.  Was her need to convince her captain of the evils of alcohol so great she was prepared to endanger her relationship and involve other people?  Not that he cared greatly about Kurotsuchi being violently and loudly ill, but he didn’t enjoy vomiting.  

“*Gasp*. Nanao, sweet Nanao,” the speech was interrupted by another period of furious stomach activity.

How the man could address the woman in that manner while his body was wracked with convulsive spasms was beyond Zaraki’s understanding.

“What… what did you use?” he eventually gasped.

“Ipecac,” she admitted quietly.

He heard a sigh, which may have indicated relief.  “It didn’t work last time you flavoured my sake with it, now did it, sweet Nanao?”

She’d done this before?  Kyoraku’s forbearance astonished Zaraki.  Was the woman blackmailing him for him not to have reacted without violence?

“Perseverance is more prevailing than violence; and many things which cannot be overcome when they are together yield  themselves up when taken little by little,” an all too familiar voice chimed in the back of his mind.

“Violence is more fun,” Zaraki answered.

"Only to you," Atonomatsuri sighed.

He ignored her and returned his attention to the conversation.

"Lock that woman up immediately," moaned Kurotsuchi.  "She tried to poison me."

A door opened and he heard some footsteps.  "No, she won't be locked up and she didn't try to poison you." Kyoraku sounded tired but his voice was firm.

"Why..."

A new voice interrupted.  "Interfering in the results of these competitions is an offence, Assistant Captain Ise.  Your actions discredit you."

As hard as he tried, Zaraki had no chance of preventing his stomach from forcing out more of its contents.  Mentally he shrugged.  The Old Man must have guessed something was wrong and he expected the old man had experienced nausea, probably every time he was reminded he had to have another Captain's meeting.

"I will see she doesn't make the same mistake again," Kurotsuchi said, his voice blurred and croaky.

"No.  She is my Assistant Captain and her actions reflect on me.  Punish me, if you will Captain Yamamoto so I may make certain my Assistant Captain will understand how her decision ripples outward," Kyoraku's voice was an interesting mix of deference and amusement.  Why was the man amused?  Asking to be punished?  

"No.  That isn't fair!  I made the decision and it was wrong," Ise sounded so different to her normal calm manner.  Obviously any threat directed at her Captain affected her emotionally.  

Would Yachiru defend him like this?  No.  She wouldn't sound like she was preparing to cy.  Instead shed possibly sit on the Old Man's shoulder and persuade him to forget his anger and buy her some sweets instead.  At least she'd try.

"Due to the illness of the contestants this challenge is deferred.  I will confer with the judges as to whether it will be repeated or another challenge will be formulated to replace it," Captain Yamamoto was ignoring Nanao's pleas.  "Assistant Captain Ise, your fate will be determined after these challenges are completed."

Zaraki wiped his face, removing the sweat which had covered it during the last few minutes.  Tentatively he raised his head awaiting the return of the nausea, but nothing happened.  He dimly heard the woman saying something about not using much ipecac in the sake, only a little.  

Leaving the stall, he walked to a tap and rinsed his mouth out, ignoring the other people in the room.  Why was the only challenge he'd enjoyed ending like this?  

"The woman made a mistake.  No big deal, Old Man.  We can do this again.  I'd like to do it again," Zaraki said forcefully.

He noticed one of Kyoraku's eyelids dip down, in what might be a wink.  He hadn't intentionally supported the man and his subordinate, but if it worked out that way, all to the good.  

"Captain Zaraki, it is not your decision, but as you are one of the competitors your request may be considered.  All of you follow me." Without checking to see if anyone followed him, the man strode out of the bathroom.

Zaraki stared at Kurotsuchi who appeared to be opening his mouth to protest.  "Don't.  No one cares."

"I don't care if you are the Kenpachi.  You can't order me around."

Zaraki smiled.  He'd been feeling the need to get physical with this man with few to no witnesses.  Now there might be a chance, if he could persuade the other captain and his subordinate to leave.

"Nanao, dear, sweet Nanao, will you go out and explain to our Commanding Officer that we need a little more time?" Kyoraku smiled gently while his eyes were firmly fixed on the twelfth Division Captain.

"I...Why.....Oh. Yes, Captain," Ise seemed confused but she bowed slightly and left.

Without a glance at each other two Captains advanced on the third.

"Your attitude displeases me," Kyoraku said without a trace of a smile.

"I'm sick of hearing your complaints," Zaraki snarled.

Kurotsuchi tried to stand straight, but backed up a little.  "What are you doing?"

"Teaching you a valuable lesson," Zaraki said while his mind raced as to what he could do which would humiliate the man but not be completely visible.  Ripping his head from his neck might be noticed as would kneecapping him.

Kyoraku bent close to him and said, "It's a pity how your face has become smeared through being ill.  Maybe you should wash it, or we could help you."

Zaraki couldn't stop the grin spreading across his face.  Was the man suggesting something he'd only done once before.  He'd done it by himself and considered doing the same thing to Piecrust in an idle moment.

"What do you mean?" Kurotsuchi shrilled, his eyes darting around as if looking for a chance to escape.

With one accidentally coordinated movement both Zaraki and Kyoraku grabbed the man who struggled hard.

"Watch out for his hands and his blood."

"I know.  He's the real poison here." He'd heard that weird Quincy talk about his fight with the man and the poison he'd used.

They moved swiftly into the stall Zaraki had so recently vacated.  With a swift move they upended the man and dangled his head in the bowl.

"This is childish!  Only schoolchildren do things like this," Kurotsuchi protested.

Kyoraku didn't reply.  Instead he flushed the toilet.

Zaraki laughed as he watched the water swirl over the man's head.  Sure, it was childish but recent events had pushed him into places he'd never wished to visit.  Maybe he had attempted to do something slightly illegal, but uncovered a bigger illegality.  This man who they drew, dripping and coughing was responsible.  He'd caused the bad blood between them.  It was he who had attempted to kill Zaraki in the first place.  The pain and suffering he'd caused other people, including his daughter shouldn't be rewarded with  avoidance, but addressed head on and punished.

"What are you thinking, Zaraki.  This is purely revenge and when you plan revenge you'd best dig two graves."

Damn the bird for working out what he was thinking.  She was doing it more and more often and he didn't like it, especially when she said strange things like that.

"What do you mean?" he asked while they flushed Kurotsuchi once more.  If the bird would be quiet he'd enjoy this much more.  All this conversation was distracting from the squealing and sense of satisfaction he was experiencing as he meted out a form of justice.

"It's obvious.  When you revenge yourself on someone you hurt yourself as well. If you kill someone in a fit of revenge there may be someone prepared to take your life in exchange." Atonomatsuri sounded once more like she was lecturing someone very stupid.  Then she added, "There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness."

"How the hell is forgiveness revenge?  Stop talking crap, bird.  Revenge is revenge, forgiveness is something else altogether and this is justice."

The bird harrumphed.  "I have never heard ducking someone's head in a lavatory described as justice, until now.  Justice is where a due and designated punishment is lawfully," she mentioned the word with a great deal of emphasis, "enacted upon a person who is found to have executed a crime."

"I think that's enough, Kenpachi," Kyoraku's voice interrupted his near dispute with the vulture.

"What?  Yeah."

Together they hauled the man out and handed him a towel.  For once he was quiet while he  wiped his face and head.  Occasionally, Zaraki caught a glimpse of the man glaring at him.  It wouldn't end here, but for the moment he savoured the small act of justice.  

"Mentioning this to the Captain-General might be an error of judgment.  Enemies are more easily gained than friends," the 8th Division Captain said, apparently to Zaraki who nodded in return.

"There will be a reckoning," Kurotsuchi said with more force and dignity than normal.

"Later," Zaraki replied.  Looking at the man he saw the paint had smeared all over his face, making it look as if a child had gotten bored with only using white and black and mixed them together.  "Look in the mirror."

Kurotsuchi gasped and loudly stated, "I cannot appear like this!"

He was right.  Zaraki was stuck.  What action was possible now?


Author's Note

Yes, it has been an extremely long time since this story was updated and even considering explaining the delay makes my head hurt.  Anyway, no one else needs to hear about it because it is boring and personal and hopefully mostly over.

Ipecac: a substance used to induce vomiting.

Please review.  However, if you want to criticise I would ask you to kindly refrain for the present.  

Thank you to everyone who has reviewed the story so far.

MS