InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ The Yui-no, Christmas and the Winter Ball ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha but I do own Kaminari, Kaiho, and the lovely Kichou.
 
AN: Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to leave a review. I do read them and they help to inspire me to keep writing.
 
 
Blood & Tears
 
Chapter 18: The Yui-no, Christmas and the Winter Ball
 
Kagome's grandfather had taken the news that she was already mated to InuYasha better than she'd expected. He did ask if he could see their mating marks. Kagome was surprised he knew about them, but it turned out that was something else found in the many scrolls stored at the shrine. Grandpa was curious if they were true, so Kagome and InuYasha both showed him the marks they had given each other. They didn't go into detail how they got there.
 
Of course Souta wasn't surprised. He had suspected something was up all along. He just wanted to know how soon he would have a niece or nephew. Mama hushed him and told him that Kagome would like to finish school first.
 
They were having dinner that Sunday evening after their return when Grandpa asked, “So when will we hold the Yui-no?”
 
“Really?” Mama and Kagome both said together.
 
“If my only granddaughter is getting married, it should be done properly,” Grandfather replied.
 
“What's a Yui-no?” InuYasha asked.
 
Mama responded, “It is a formal meeting of the two families once the marriage has been agreed upon. It is normally held on an important day on the calendar.”
 
“The next holiday is the Emperor's Birthday, which is December 23rd. We could hold it then. I'll call to see if Sesshomaru and Kichou are available that day,” Kagome said as she jumped up from the table in excitement. “I'll be back in a minute.”
 
Kagome went and pulled Kichou's card from her purse and called to ask if she and Sesshomaru would be available for the Yui-no December 23rd. She came back to the dinner table and told the others that Sesshomaru and Kichou would meet them for the formal dinner, and that they would make all of the arrangements.
 
Kagome and InuYasha were still lingering at the table after Souta and her grandfather had excused themselves. Mama Higurashi sat back down and asked, “So have you given thought to when you would like to hold the wedding?”
 
Kagome had indeed been thinking about that. “I know things are busy around the shrine at the New Year because of the number of visitors. Do you think anyone would be offended if we had it on the Sunday before Seijin no hi? That would give them time to get here, and they would have a holiday on that Monday where they could either travel back home, or stay for the celebrations in Tokyo if anyone has turned twenty. All of my friends are too young, except for Niro. If the wedding is on Sunday, he would still be free to celebrate on Monday.”
 
“I don't know of any of your cousins who might come to the reception that would be affected, and I'm sure your aunts and uncles that work would appreciate the day to travel back home. The trains don't usually get busy until evening when the celebrations end. It also would give us almost a month to prepare. Why don't you call Sesshomaru and Kichou and see if they can make the arrangements they discussed with you for that day? Let them know we will contact everyone and see who can come so we know how large a group to expect for the reception,” Mama said.
 
InuYasha had watched the exchange in silence. He could tell both of the women were excited, and he really didn't have anything to say. It was obvious they were enjoying planning everything, and he figured they would ask him if they needed something.
 
InuYasha did have one question since he would like to know what day he was getting married on. “What is Seijin no hi and when is it?”
 
Kagome laughed. “Sorry, InuYasha. I forgot you don't know about all of our holidays. Seijin no hi falls on the second Monday in January. It is a day of celebration for all who have reached the legal age of twenty. It is also a national holiday so almost everyone has the day off of work. If we have the wedding and reception on that Sunday, it will give everyone a chance to travel here on Saturday, and then they will have Monday to go back home.”
 
“So that means we'll officially be married…”
 
“In a month,” Kagome finished for him.
 
InuYasha response was to cup both of his hands around Kagome's face and pull it to his and kissed her, right there in the kitchen in front of Mama.
 
Mama just smiled.
 
 
The next couple of weeks flew by as InuYasha dug back into his own schoolbooks with a new passion. Now that the tension between Kagome and him was past, he was again readily absorbing all of the knowledge that he could.
 
Kagome had joined him in with her renewed spirit and energy. When she went to the school for her next test, she happily carried with her the invitations to her wedding reception to her classmates and teachers. She had thought about mailing them, but the invitations had just arrived the day before and she decided it would be quicker to deliver them in person. Mama had called all of the relatives they were inviting ahead of time to let them know the invitations were on the way.
 
The invitations caused quite a buzz at the school. First, everyone had been curious about the exotic silver-haired guy that walked Kagome to and from the school for each of her tests. Second, they were stunned to find that Kagome was holding her reception at the Four Seasons. It appeared that everyone who had received an invitation was going to go, and everyone who hadn't was going to try to get a date with someone who did.
 
At first some of the relatives who were invited grumbled at the fact the reception was going to be at such a fine, and expensive, hotel. They thought they would have to make reservations somewhere else and travel to and from the reception. However, once a few of them followed instructions and called the hotel to make a reservation because they were coming to the Higurashi wedding reception, they discovered their room was taken care of, compliments of the bridegroom's family. The hotel only asked that they present their wedding invitation when they checked in. Word spread fast. Relatives that Kagome had never met were coming.
 
 
Before they knew it, it was December 23rd. Sesshomaru sent his limo to pick the family up to take them to the Yui-no. Mama had insisted they all go shopping and get new outfits for the formal dinner. InuYasha, Souta, and Grandfather each had a new suit. Kagome had a new suit with a chiffon skirt and a paisley brocade jacket in a brilliant sapphire blue. She wore the gold earrings and pendant that Kichou had given to her with it. Mama had a new fitted sleeveless dress in cream that had a matching knee-length jacket. They were all ready when the limo arrived and piled in.
 
Kagome noticed her grandfather was trying to keep something hidden from the rest of them. She hoped he hadn't found a bunch of sutra to take to the dinner to plaster on her soon-to-be brother-in-law.
 
Dinner was going well in the private dining room of another well-known restaurant. There were no interruptions as they were away from the prying eyes of other guests. Even Souta had been on his best behavior - Mama and Kagome had both warned him about mentioning demons in public. Not everyone would understand.
 
The dinner plates had been cleared away when Sesshomaru stood and went to hand Kagome a present. She unwrapped it to discover a beautiful Obi. She knew that it was the traditional gift to the bride representing virtue.
 
“Welcome to the family, Kagome,” Kichou said as Kagome and her mother admired the beautiful piece. It was white silk with red embroidery, with InuYasha's crest intricately worked into the detail of the stitching.
 
Grandpa then stood and handed the package he had been trying to hide to InuYasha. InuYasha looked at Kagome and she gave him a look that told him to open it.
 
InuYasha pulled back the paper to discover a black formal hakama. Kagome burst into tears and went and threw her arms around her grandfather. Even Mama was shedding a few tears.
 
InuYasha looked at the three and said, “Thank you, but I don't understand.”
 
Kagome said through her tears, “It is the traditional gift to the groom and represents fidelity. It means he accepts you.”
 
“Does that mean he won't be throwing sutra at me any more?” InuYasha asked.
 
“Not as long as you treat my granddaughter right,” Grandpa answered.
 
“Keh. You'll never have to worry about that,” InuYasha answered as a grin slowly crossed his face. They were finally past the one obstacle that Kagome had been the most worried about.
 
A number of gifts were exchanged between the two families, each representing something: Naga-Noshi for sincere wishes, Katsuo-bushi and Surume for a lasting marriage, Shiraga for strong family ties, Suehiro for happiness and a bigger and better future, and Konbu for many happy and healthy children, money, Yanagi-daru (wine casks), and sake casks. Also included was mokuoku, listing the gifts brought from each family as well as the family members.
 
Kagome was explaining each gift to InuYasha as they were opened. It turned out that InuYasha had a little help from her mother and Sesshomaru and some of the gifts were actually from him. InuYasha had decided that gifts that signify happiness and good fortune couldn't be a bad thing.
 
 
Christmas morning came and Kagome and her family were about to find out why InuYasha had disappeared mysteriously one day without telling anyone where he went. Not knowing exactly what the tradition was, he went to the spare bedroom that was rarely used and retrieved his presents he had bought for each of them, and carried them down to breakfast.
 
Mama saw him coming with several packages and asked, “What's this?”
 
“Kichou told me that gifts are exchanged on Christmas, so I got something for each of you,” InuYasha said, and then continued, “But she didn't tell me how or when exactly. I didn't want to miss anything.”
 
“You can take them into the living room; we'll open them after breakfast.” Mama said.
 
Kagome almost giggled; she could swear that InuYasha pouted.
 
Mama had to make InuYasha and Souta slow down on their eating - she didn't want them to choke themselves in their hurry to finish breakfast and clear the table.
 
Once the breakfast dishes were cleared, Mama said, “Okay.” Souta made a mad dash for the living room. InuYasha was trying to look more dignified, but he wasn't far behind Souta. The hanyou did not really care if he received anything or not; he wanted to see if they liked what he got them.
 
InuYasha did get presents, and even though most of them added to his wardrobe, that was okay. He was just happy to be included in the family celebration.
 
InuYasha was anxious as he watched the others opened the gifts he had selected for them. At Kichou's suggestion, he bought a full day at a spa for Mama Higurashi. Figuring that Kagome wouldn't want to be left out, and since Kichou said it was perfectly okay for him to get his mate more than one gift, he bought one for her as well so they could go together if they wanted. Both ladies seemed to be quite happy with their gifts.
 
Not sure what he should get for Grandpa, InuYasha bought him the best sake he could find. Fortunately, the ID that Sesshomaru gave him said he was twenty, so he didn't have any trouble with that. Gramps seemed pleased with his gift and Mama told him he needed to wait at least until after lunch to try it.
 
Souta was thrilled with his new video game. InuYasha bought one where he could fight ninja, demons, dragons, or any combination at the same time. Souta couldn't wait to try it out. He had received another new one from his mother as well, so he had more than enough to keep him busy and out of trouble for a while.
 
Last, InuYasha pulled out one more small box that he had hidden away and gave it to Kagome. Kagome gasped when she opened it. Inside it were the earrings and pendant of rubies and diamonds. Kagome handed the box to her mother to see and threw her arms around InuYasha. Kagome whispered huskily in his ear thank you and that he would receive her present after the ball.
 
 
Lunch was a bit more normal, except that Souta was in a hurry to get back to his new games. After they had cleared the dishes from the table, Kagome announced she was going to take a nap since they would be up late tonight. InuYasha took the hint and went upstairs with her.
 
Kagome locked her door and turned to him. “I really do need to take a nap, but I wanted to tell you thank you for the beautiful earrings and necklace. I can't wait to wear them with my new dress.”
 
Kagome pulled his face down to hers for a kiss that promised of more to come later. When she pulled away she said, “We have all night to ourselves. We're staying at the hotel after the ball. We need to take an overnight bag with us because we won't come home until sometime tomorrow.”
 
InuYasha liked the sound of that and pulled her to him for another kiss. Looking forward to the evening, they both shed their clothes and climbed under the covers. InuYasha did not really need the extra sleep any more, but he was happy to hold his mate and listen to her slow even breathing. It wasn't that long before he allowed it to lull him to sleep as well.
 
 
Kagome was using her mother's bedroom downstairs to bathe and change for the ball. She had taken a nice relaxing bath and was currently in front of the mirror putting on her makeup. After playing with her hair, she had decided to pin it back on one side with a jeweled comb and otherwise leave it down. She took her new earrings and pendant out of its box and put them on. She was almost ready.
 
All Kagome had left was to put on her gown when her mother knocked on the door. “Honey, do you need any help?”
 
“Yea, Mama. Could you come help me zip my dress?” Kagome replied.
 
Kagome had stepped into her dress and pulled it up. Her mother came up behind her and started to zip up the back as Kagome took her hands and pulled her hair up out of the way.
 
As the zipper reached the top, Kagome felt her mother's hand brush softly across her right shoulder at the crook of her neck as she asked, “Kagome, what's this?”
 
Kagome's heart almost stopped - how much should she tell her mother? “What is it, Mama?”
 
“This blue crescent moon that looks just like the one on Sesshomaru's forehead,” Mama replied.
 
That's right, Mama saw Sesshomaru with his markings the first time he came to the shrine.
 
Kagome took a deep breath. “It's where Sesshomaru marked me.”
 
“Kagome?” Mama sounded both puzzled and concerned.
 
Kagome turned to face her mother. “Mama, did I tell you when Kouga raped me that he said it wouldn't have mattered if InuYasha had marked me as his mate because he wouldn't honor the mark of a hanyou?”
 
Mama shook her head, so Kagome continued, “Sesshomaru confirmed that Kouga was not the only demon that felt that way. I didn't think that a demon would be interested in a human, but Sesshomaru said that because of my powers and the ability to see the jewel shards, not to mention that I carried the nearly complete jewel at the time, that there would be others to come after me. I knew he was right because that was the reason Kouga kidnapped me in the first place and then proclaimed his love for me. If I were marked only by InuYasha there are some demons that would just disregard it and take me anyway.”
 
Mama was listening intently and had not interrupted, so Kagome continued, “Sesshomaru offered to mark me as a female under his protection and part of his pack. InuYasha and I talked about it, and neither of us ever wanted to go through anything like we did with Kouga again. With Sesshomaru's mark, I'm not just marked by his full demon brother, but by the Demon Lord of the Western Lands. No one would dare lay a hand on me, but if they did, he has complete authority to kill them. Sesshomaru didn't mark just me, though. He marked InuYasha as well to show that he is his brother and a welcome member of his pack.”
 
Mama looked surprised. “He marked InuYasha? They didn't…”
 
“No, Mama. He just bit him on the shoulder and drew blood and then the bite turned into his blue crescent moon. We look like we have matching tattoos. While Sesshomaru marked both of us, neither of us marked him. We are marked as his pack members. Kichou is marked as his mate and Sesshomaru is marked as hers. The three of us are tied together though, somehow. That is how Sesshomaru knew to come that day when I lost it. He could feel InuYasha's turmoil through his mark, and then was able to help determine what was wrong with me through it as well.”
 
Kagome hoped that satisfied her mother. She really didn't want to go into the details of exactly what she had to submit to for Sesshomaru to mark her. While she had not minded explaining further to Sango, her mother was a different matter.
 
Mama nodded her understanding. While she thought that there might be a bit more to it, perhaps it was better left alone. Instead she stood back and said, “Kagome, you are beautiful. Do you have everything you need for tonight?”
 
Kagome nodded. “I have my overnight bag. Thanks for getting us a room at the hotel so we don't have to worry about anything. Would you mind going up and checking on InuYasha? He might need help with the vest and tie.”
 
Mama nodded and left the room. She went upstairs to check on InuYasha and found Souta helping him get dressed. Mama caught her breath when she saw InuYasha in the tuxedo. It was a good thing he had eyes only for her daughter because she knew he would attract a lot of attention at the dance. The only thing Souta had not been able to help him much with was the formal tie, so Mama helped him with that. The only thing that did not go with the outfit were the rosary beads, but only Kagome could remove those.
 
When he was ready, InuYasha headed down the stairs to meet Kagome. The only thing he was not sure of was if she wanted his hair down or pulled back, so he had the black leather tie in his hand in case he needed it for his mane. InuYasha stopped when he reached the bottom of the stairs and saw Kagome. He thought she was breathtaking; beautiful did not even begin to cover it.
 
Kagome stopped and thought the same thing when she saw InuYasha come down the stairs. She was pretty certain that she would be the envy of every girl at the ball, and probably a few guys. There was only one thing out of place, though.
 
“InuYasha, will you come here for a minute?” Kagome asked softly.
 
“What is it?” InuYasha asked. He could hear the hesitancy in her voice.
 
Kagome put her hand on his rosary and started to pull it off, but InuYasha stopped her. “Why? You know I prefer having it.”
 
“InuYasha, you do not really need it and have not for a long time. I will give it back to you, but I want to remove it just for tonight. I don't want to accidentally say the `s' word and slam you to the floor in front of a lot of people. Can you understand? I'll put it back on tomorrow when we get home if you want it. I just don't want to risk embarrassing you in any way, all right?” Kagome answered, and then whispered, “Don't worry; it'll be clear to everyone that you're mine.”
 
“Are…are you sure?” InuYasha asked.
 
“I'm sure,” she said as she pulled it over his head. “I'll have Mama put it on my dresser so it will be here when we come home tomorrow, all right?”
 
InuYasha nodded, but he still felt naked without it. However, it would be embarrassing if she got mad and tried to sit him in front of several hundred people. Maybe it was a good idea.
 
“Kagome?” InuYasha didn't finish his question, but held out the black leather thong for his hair.
 
“Are you happier with you hair down or pulled back?” Kagome asked, though she thought she knew the answer.
 
“Down.”
 
“Why don't you put that in your pocket in case you decide you want to pull it back later, okay?” Kagome suggested.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha said as he put the strip of leather away.
 
“Do you have your wallet?”
 
“Yeah,” InuYasha said patting his chest. Souta had told him to carry his wallet in the inside pocket of his coat.
 
“Suitcase?”
 
“It's by the door with yours,” He answered.
 
“I guess we're ready, then,” Kagome said as she threw a shawl around her shoulders. She didn't really want a coat since they wouldn't be outside that long.
 
They headed out the door, with InuYasha carrying the two overnight bags. Sesshomaru had sent his car to take them to the hotel and the driver came and took the bags from InuYasha. They were going a little early so they could check into their room and have dinner at the hotel before the dance.
 
The chauffeur opened the door and Kagome and InuYasha were surprised to see Kichou and Sesshomaru there.
 
“You two aren't going on our date with us, are you?” Kagome asked, half kidding and half serious as they climbed in.
 
“We just wanted to see what you two looked like all dressed up and to buy you dinner,” Kichou replied, and then added, “Kagome you look beautiful in that gown, and InuYasha looks handsome as well.”
 
Kagome thought that was an understatement - InuYasha was gorgeous in that tux.
 
“Merry Christmas, Kagome,” Sesshomaru said as he handed her a small box. “This is from both of us.”
 
Kagome opened the box and exclaimed, “It's beautiful, you shouldn't have.” The box contained a bracelet of rubies and diamonds that matched her earrings and pendant.
 
“Well, we knew what InuYasha bought for you and then saw your gown, so you needed it to complete the set. Antonio didn't have that piece when we took InuYasha there,” Kichou responded.
 
“Thank you, I don't know what to say,” Kagome said as she put the bracelet on her wrist.
 
“InuYasha, this one is for you,” Kichou said as she handed him a small box.
 
InuYasha opened it to reveal a stunning ring in white gold. The face was diamond chips with his crescent moon crest set into it in rubies.
 
“Thank…thank you.” InuYasha really didn't know what else to say as Kagome took the ring from him to admire it, and then slipped it on the ring finger of his right hand. It was a perfect fit.
 
Kagome started to say she was sorry she did not get them anything, but InuYasha stopped her. He was glad he had brought it along in case his brother and mate showed up.
 
“I…I didn't know what to get you since you already have everything, so I got this. It's from both of us,” InuYasha said as he handed an envelope similar to the one he had handed Kagome and her mother for their spa day to Sesshomaru.
 
Sesshomaru opened it and actually grinned, and handed the envelope to Kichou. InuYasha had purchased them a special erotic three-day package for a couple at the spa. That was something Sesshomaru wouldn't have thought to buy for himself, but could certainly enjoy.
 
 
They arrived at the hotel, and Sesshomaru told them not to worry, the driver would take care of checking them into their room and take their bags up for them.
 
They went to the restaurant and were surprised at how crowded it was. Apparently a lot of the students were having dinner there before the ball as InuYasha and Kagome were. Everyone turned to look at Kagome and InuYasha when they came in - well at their whole party. It was hard to miss the two beautiful men with the silver hair. They were as stunning as the two women who accompanied them. Eyes followed them across the restaurant as they were led to their table.
 
Kagome had only ordered a light meal because she did not want to be too full to enjoy herself at the dance. She wasn't concerned about InuYasha. She knew he could eat an elephant and still be hungry. She was just pleased he was taking his time and trying to be careful not to spill anything.
 
Sesshomaru's driver made his way through the restaurant to give Kagome and InuYasha the keys to their room. He told them their bags were already there. Kagome thanked him for his trouble as she tucked the key in her handbag and he nodded as he made his way back out of the room.
 
Kagome excused herself from the table after dinner to go to the ladies' room, so Kichou got up and went with her.
 
After the ladies left the table Sesshomaru asked, “Where's your rosary, Little Brother?”
 
InuYasha felt at his chest where it would normally hang. “Kagome was worried she might accidentally sit me and took it off for the night.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded his understanding. “That was probably a good idea. Are you nervous?”
 
InuYasha knew he could tell and just nodded.
 
“Just remember she is your mate and nothing can change that. Keep your cool if anyone approaches her. She is beautiful and someone else might ask her to dance.”
 
“She is beautiful, isn't she?” InuYasha asked.
 
“You need to make sure you tell her,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“Keh. I know.”
 
 
In the ladies' room a similar conversation was taking place as Kichou looked at Kagome, “You are beautiful, you know. Don't be surprised if others try to get you to dance with them.”
 
“Thank…thank you. I don't want to dance with anyone but InuYasha, though,” Kagome responded.
 
“Just make sure he knows that so he doesn't lose his temper. Where is his rosary?” Kichou asked.
 
“I took it off of him so I wouldn't accidentally sit him in front of a bunch of people. Do you think I should have left it on him?” Kagome said.
 
“No, he showed a great deal of control at the club. I think as long as you make it clear that you are with him you won't have any problems. Are you nervous?”
 
“Yeah. I've missed every function like this since I turned fifteen. I just hope we have a good time. We've never been around this many people that I know before. I hope the other girls keep their hands off of him or I'll be the one turning red,” Kagome said.
 
“You'll be fine. Both of you will be. Just relax and have fun and don't worry about anyone else, okay?”
 
Kagome took a deep breath as she checked herself in the mirror. “Okay.”
 
 
When Kagome and Kichou returned to the table InuYasha stood. He could tell that Kagome was ready to go to the ball. They both thanked Kichou and Sesshomaru for dinner and again for their Christmas gifts. Sesshomaru told them the car would be there to collect them the next afternoon at 3:00, and to have a good time.
 
InuYasha took a deep breath and took Kagome by the hand. “Are you ready to go?” Kagome nodded so he led her out of the restaurant towards the elevators to go up to the floor where the dance was being held.
 
When they reached a quiet spot in the corridor, InuYasha stopped and blushed as he said, “You're beautiful, Kagome. I just wanted you to know.”
 
Kagome reached up and brushed him on the lips, lightly as to not get too much lipstick on him. “Thank you, so are you.”
 
InuYasha squeezed her hand as they continued to the elevators.
 
“Do you have our tickets?” Kagome asked after they elevator doors had closed.
 
“I have them right here,” InuYasha responded as he pulled them out of his inside coat pocket.
 
Kagome nervously straightened InuYasha's tie and then his coat and vest as they rode the elevator upward. She saw the look on his face and said, “You look fine, I'm just nervous.”
 
InuYasha nodded in understanding. He was nervous, too.
 
The elevator doors opened to a corridor that led to the ballroom that took up most of the floor they were on. There was a table set up outside the door where they checked their tickets. The lady told them to hang on to them in case they needed to leave so they could get back in again. She checked their names off on the list of those supposed to be in attendance and told them to go on in.
 
Kagome had InuYasha by the hand as she led him through the door. InuYasha was glad he was a hanyou because he was sure that Kagome would have broken his hand with her grip if he were a puny human. He just squeezed her hand in reassurance as they walked into the room.
 
It was hard to miss the number of people who turned and stared at them when they came in. The guys were staring at Kagome in her beautiful strapless red gown, and the girls were all staring at InuYasha, almost hypnotized by his long silver hair. Kagome spotted the photographer that was set up to take pictures of the attending couples and led InuYasha over there first. She wanted at least one picture of them together to remember the dance in case she didn't get to attend any others before she graduated.
 
They were standing in the line to have their picture made with Kagome heard someone calling her name. She looked and there were Ayume and Niro coming towards them. The two girls hugged each other, though InuYasha noticed they didn't hug too hard as to mess up any hair, makeup or dresses.
 
“Kagome, you look beautiful!” Ayume said, and then added, “Where did you get the jewelry? Are they real?”
 
“InuYasha gave me the earrings and necklace for Christmas, and his brother and sister-in-law gave me the matching bracelet. Yeah, they're real,” Kagome replied.
 
“What did you get him?” Ayume asked.
 
Kagome leaned over and whispered something in her ear and Ayume blushed. That had InuYasha's curiosity up.
 
Niro offered his hand to InuYasha and shook it. “I understand you are getting married.”
 
“Keh,” InuYasha nodded.
 
“Are you nervous?” Niro asked.
 
InuYasha shook his head.
 
“Why so soon?” Ayume asked.
 
Kagome could tell a number of people were now listening in on the conversation. “After I got hurt we realized we didn't want to waste any more time. We love each other and want to be together. My grandfather is old-fashioned so we have to be married first. We decided we had better hurry up before he changes his mind. Plus, InuYasha is tired of guys hitting on me because I don't have a wedding ring. I'll have to admit, I'm tired of it, too.”
 
Ayume just hugged her again. “Well, I'm happy for you. My mother gave me her permission as long as I wait until I graduate. I would have done the same thing if she would have let me.” Then she leaned forward and whispered, “You aren't pregnant, are you?”
 
Kagome just shook her head and said just loudly enough for those near her to hear. “No, I'm NOT pregnant. I just love InuYasha, and he loves me. It took us over two years to get past our stubbornness, and we don't want to waste any more time since we have both of our families' approval.”
 
By now Kagome and InuYasha had reached the platform for the pictures and stepped up on it. They did as the photographer told them until he had several pictures he thought were good, and stepped down to move on.
 
Kagome was a bit upset. She should have known that everyone would think she was having a forced wedding since she was getting married in such a hurry. InuYasha could sense her change in mood and asked her what was wrong. Before she had a chance to say anything, Eri and Mari were waving at them and came over to say hello.
 
“Kagome, how are you? If I weren't gay I would be jealous - InuYasha is gorgeous!” Eri said with a laugh.
 
InuYasha blushed and Kagome grinned. At least that had lightened her mood.
 
“I'm fine, how are you two doing?” Kagome asked.
 
“Oh we're fine. We were just thinking about getting a picture together before we get too sweaty dancing,” Mari replied.
 
“Yeah, that's what we just did. Do they have anything to drink here? I'm thirsty,” Kagome said.
 
Eri pointed in the general direction of the punch bowls on the other side of the room. Kagome thanked her and told them she hoped they had a good time and led InuYasha in that direction.
 
Kagome found some water, which was what she really wanted, and had downed a glass when she heard a slow song start up. “Dance with me?”
 
InuYasha nodded as she set her glass on a tray and led her to the floor. He wrapped his arms around her and started moving with her to the music. He kept her as close to him as he could and her still have room to move.
 
As the song ended, InuYasha felt her grasp around him tighten, so he pulled Kagome closer to him. He held her close until the next song started up, which was much faster.
 
Deciding that she was not going to let gossip get in her way of having a good time with her mate, she stepped back from him and started moving to the new beat. He joined with her, his hair swaying to the music.
 
A grin broke across Kagome's face as she scanned the couples around her. Most of the girls had their eyes on her mate. Even if they were wondering if she were pregnant, they were probably wishing it was them.
 
InuYasha sensed the change wash over Kagome. She wasn't upset any more and that was a good thing. He just kept dancing along with her, not really caring what the two of them looked like. They had no idea that thanks to Sesshomaru and Kichou's lessons, they looked quite fine out there on the floor.
 
The beat slowed down enough on the next song that they were back in each other's arms again. This time when it was over, InuYasha reached down and kissed Kagome in front of all of her friends, acquaintances and teachers. He had been able to hear the whispers that she had not, and he wanted to make it clear that he was with her because he loved her, not because of something they were calling a `shotgun' wedding. When they finally pulled apart, he swept her off of her feet and carried her off of the floor.
 
“What was that for?” Kagome asked as he set her on her feet once he had cleared the dance floor and the crowd around it.
 
“You promised you would make it clear that you were with me, and I saw those guys all looking at you,” InuYasha replied, and then added softly, “and because I love you.”
 
Apparently that was the right thing to say, because Kagome pulled him back to her for another kiss.
 
“Well, that was some display.” Yuki had come up to Kagome and hugged her when she parted from InuYasha.
 
Kagome blushed as she pulled away from Yuki and took InuYasha's hand. “How are you and Hojo?”
 
About that time Hojo appeared with drinks for Yuki and himself. “We're doing fine.” Hojo extended his hand to InuYasha after handing Yuki her drink. “How are you, InuYasha? Nervous about the wedding?”
 
InuYasha mumbled, “I wasn't, but I'm going to be if everyone keeps asking me that.”
 
Kagome laughed as she backed up to InuYasha and pulled his hands around her waist and grasped them in her own. “We're excited about it. That's why we aren't waiting.”
 
“What about University?” Yuki asked.
 
“I have to graduate high school, first. One thing at a time. Right now, I'm going to enjoy myself with my fiancé,” Kagome answered as she led InuYasha towards the punch bowls.
 
Kagome and InuYasha both got a cup of punch and went to sit at an empty table for a few minutes. Ayume and Niro came back over and Ayume whispered to Kagome, “I'm so sorry Kagome. I should have known better. I'm sorry for asking that.”
 
Kagome sighed and motioned for her to sit. “It's okay; you just said what everyone else was thinking. I have been so happy that I didn't even think that was what everyone would assume.”
 
“Did you get a tattoo?” Ayume asked. She was looking at InuYasha's mark on Kagome's shoulder.
 
“Sort of but not exactly,” Kagome replied.
 
Ayume just raised her eyebrows rather than voice her question.
 
Kagome leaned close and whispered, “Do you remember what we told you about InuYasha?”
 
Ayume nodded.
 
“That's his mark. I'm his mate and our souls are bound together for life. The wedding is just a human formality. I couldn't take having to keep it a secret any more. We want everyone to know we are officially together.”
 
Ayume just hugged Kagome again in response. She understood because she did not like having to keep secrets, either.
 
Ayume and Niro went on their way and Kagome and InuYasha made their way back out to the dance floor. They were obviously having a good time and InuYasha was trying to make it apparent to everyone in the room that Kagome was with him. Kagome was doing the same thing - making a nonverbal statement that InuYasha was hers, and don't even think about him. It seemed like they had been dancing on and off for hours when Kagome finally announced she was tired and ready to retire to their room. InuYasha gave her one more kiss before they left to make it crystal clear to everyone in the room that he loved Kagome before they went hand in hand from the ballroom.
 
Kagome was tired so InuYasha just picked her up and carried her. She thanked him and kissed him on the cheek while she dug the room key out of her purse. She raised an eyebrow at the number on the envelope - surely that couldn't be right.
 
InuYasha let her push the button to call the elevator, and then the button for their floor when they got on. He did not plan to set her down until they reached their room.
 
Kagome pointed the direction to go down the corridor until they came to the door with their number. She unlocked it with the card key and InuYasha carried her inside and she pushed the door closed behind them.
 
Alone at last.
 
To be continued…