InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ Twin Marks ( Chapter 35 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha but I do own Kaminari, Kaiho, and the lovely Kichou.
 
AN: Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to leave a review. I do read them and they help to inspire me to keep writing.
 
 
Blood & Tears
 
Chapter 35: Twin Marks
 
In Feudal Japan, it was only the beginning of October, and it was already the coldest anyone could ever remember for that time of year, including old Kaede. Every able body in the village had worked from dawn until dusk for weeks to help prepare for what looked like was going to be a long and hard winter. Everything that was considered edible had been gathered and put away. Meat had been killed and hung out to dry before it was stored. Every skin had been saved and was used to make cloaks, coats, bedding, or extra coverings for windows and doors. They were still gathering firewood and chopping up trees to help them make it through the winter.
 
Miroku and Sango could not remember ever working so hard when they helped during their down times in the past. The pile of wood they had so far and the meat they had stored did not seem to be at the level it usually was by this time of the year. Then suddenly it dawned on Sango one day while they were combing the woods again, looking for any wood that was small enough for them to haul back. “InuYasha.”
 
“What?” Miroku questioned.
 
“InuYasha. What did you think he was doing all those times he disappeared when Kagome was gone?” Sango asked.
 
“Well, now that we have such a fine hut that he had built, I thought he must have been working towards that. Before I knew about the hut, I just assumed he was off sulking because Kagome was gone,” Miroku remarked.
 
“I think InuYasha was doing a lot more than that. I think he must have been gathering firewood and killing meat to help the villagers out. We've seen what he can do to a tree when he's angry. I never thought he might actually do something like that to help the villagers,” Sango said.
 
“Well, that's because you know how selfish and self-centered he is,” Miroku said.
 
“InuYasha? You consider him selfish and self-centered after he built a house and then gave it to us? Emotionally repressed, yes, but the more I find out about him, the more confused I am. Do you realize how very little we actually know about him? How many times did he do or say something just to protect himself because you or Shippou baited him? How many times did you try to force him into admitting something he had a hard time understanding himself that just ended up with him pushing himself further away?”
 
Sango had not been interrupted so she continued, “How many times did we eat and he didn't because there wasn't enough to go around? How many times did he nearly get killed trying to protect us? If anyone was selfish, I would say it was us. We never really gave him the credit he deserved. We never really treated him with the respect he had earned. I always thought Kagome was wrong to put up with him, but I finally understand that she was the only one who really tried to understand him. InuYasha really did a lot of things to help a lot of different people, and we never knew about any of it. And now that winter is coming early, and he hasn't been here in months, it's pretty obvious. The only difference in preparing for this winter and the last few is that everyone has worked twice as hard, and we still don't have as much stored away.”
 
Miroku sighed. “I know. I guess I didn't really mean it the way it sounded. But why didn't he tell Kagome how he felt once Naraku was dead, and Kikyou was gone?”
 
“Kagome finally told me that, too. Apparently, as the eldest male in the family, Sesshomaru has the right not only to claim the mates of any younger male siblings, he has the right to kill them he doesn't find them suitable,” Sango said quietly.
 
“So InuYasha assumed that if he took Kagome as his mate, considering the number of times Sesshomaru attacked them and made it clear he loathed humans, that he would just kill Kagome,” Miroku responded.
 
“Yes. It wasn't until after Sesshomaru saved them from the wolves that InuYasha realized that his brother would not harm her, and was finally able to tell her how he felt and the reasons why it took him so long to admit it,” Sango answered.
 
They had been walking back towards their hut with all of the wood they could carry and drag behind them. Sango pulled her fur robes tighter around her as the wind cut through to the bone. “Come on Miroku. Let's get back before it gets dark. It's getting colder.” Her teeth chattered as she spoke.
 
They reached their hut and stacked the wood they had collected with the other against an outer wall. They found Kaede as they left her, sitting in front of the fire with Shinkei wrapped up warmly next to her.
 
“Kaede?”
 
“Yes, Sango?”
 
“Did InuYasha ever help with the gathering of the wood and meat for the winter?” the demon slayer asked.
 
“Aye. Did you not know that? InuYasha was constantly bringing back trees for firewood or animals for meat. He is even the reason we have the small herd of goats. InuYasha found several wandering around some distance away and caught them. He brought them here so the babies could have fresh milk if their mother's dried up or if they were sick and could not nurse them. Now that InuYasha has not been here in so many months, he is sorely missed. There were some that thought he was just a worthless half-breed, but he was a godsend to those who allowed him to help them. Not once did he ever ask for anything in return. I think he just wanted to be accepted and have a place to belong,” the old miko replied. “He was far more than just the village's protector.”
 
“I was just telling Miroku that we never really appreciated him like we should have. I hope he's happy with Kagome. I hope they'll come back to visit,” Sango said quietly.
 
“Even though they do not know you have returned, I think they will be back. They will probably come and visit after Kagome has the pups, and they are old enough to travel. They came to tell me they were getting married. I cannot imagine they would not come and show me their pups,” Kaede answered.
 
“I wonder how they're doing now?” Miroku wondered out loud.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
“I wonder how she's doing?” Kichou said as she sat next to her mate in the waiting room. “I wish someone would come out and tell us something.”
 
Sesshomaru was wincing. “Right now she is just unhappy. No, she is starting to calm down. Did you say she was wet?”
 
“Oh yeah. She was lying in bed when her water broke. It soaked everything, including her from the waist down. Maybe InuYasha was able to help calm her when he went in,” Kichou responded.
 
“He must have. She is still having the pains, but she does not seem as upset,” Sesshomaru commented.
 
“Papa? How do you know all of this?” Rin asked.
 
“She bears my mark as a female under my protection. I cannot pick up her feelings as strongly as I can my mate's, but since she is a miko they can be quite - forceful. I can pick up on InuYasha's as well, and he is remaining very calm. I have to admit I am amazed. Who knew he would handle this better than your mate did,” Sesshomaru said to Rin.
 
“Shippou did get just a bit excited, didn't he?” Rin laughed.
 
“I do not know of any other father who passed out cigars and then tried to light them with his foxfire, except that he was so excited he set some of their clothes on fire instead,” the Demon Lord stated. “At least when you had your second, we knew not to allow him near any tobacco shops.”
 
About that time Mama ran out. “The doctor says it's almost time. We wanted you to know.” Mama vanished around the corner and back into the room.
 
Kichou spoke again, “So, what do you think the pups of InuYasha and Kagome will look like?”
 
“They'll be only a quarter youkai, won't they, Papa?” Rin asked.
 
“Truthfully, I think they will be closer to half - true hanyou. InuYasha was almost full youkai when he mated with Kagome. His fertile seed was probably that of his youkai. It is likely that they will strongly bear his characteristics,” Sesshomaru answered.
 
About that time they all could hear the shriek that rang out of the room. While Kichou and Sesshomaru could hear a fair amount of what was going on, it was the first time it was loud enough for even Rin to hear.
 
“I think we will know soon enough,” Kichou said. “I should call Mai, and let her know. Things are not going to be the same around there from now on.”
 
Kichou flipped open her phone as they heard the final yelp that announced the birth of the first. “It sounds like the first one is out. One more to go.”
 
About that time a bright redhead rounded the corner. “There you are. Did you see what was going on in the lobby?” Shippou asked.
 
“Is the gecko-youkai trying to swallow the live squid still out there?” Sesshomaru asked. He was certain the squid would have gotten loose by now and eaten his attacker.
 
“Is that what happened? They were saying something about squid sushi. It looked like they were having a party,” the kitsune commented. “So how's Kagome? Anything happen so far? Hasn't InuYasha run out of there yet?”
 
Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow. “You mean like you did? Instead of taking the midwife's advice to leave early on, you waited until Rin was in the middle of delivering your first kit to run out and pass out on the floor. No, InuYasha has not done anything like that. He has been helping to keep his mate focused and calm. We believe that she had the first one a few minutes ago. There are two, so the other should be following shortly.”
 
They talked quietly among themselves, wondering what the two pups would be like and how much longer it would take. After hearing the cries that they were certain announced the birth of the second, they waited patiently for someone to come and let them know what was going on.
 
One of the nurses that had been in the room to help with the delivery came to them. “Kagome had a boy and a girl. She and the two pups are doing fine. Once they check her over and get everything cleaned up, you will be allowed to go in as long as she doesn't mind visitors. For a human, she is very strong.”
 
 
In the room, the doctor said that Kagome was doing fine and everything was as it should be. Dr. Tanaka had put a couple of stitches in the flesh that had torn when the first passed through, but there was no excessive bleeding. She told Kagome she could lower her legs. The bed was partially raised so that the new mother could somewhat sit up, and they brought her pups to her. The first was starting to cry some because she was hungry now that she had recovered from her birth, so Mama helped Kagome settle her to her breast. A smile crossed over Kagome's face as her daughter started to suckle, and then she burst into tears.
 
The nurse was showing InuYasha how to properly hold his son when his mate starting crying. “Kagome, Kagome, what's wrong?” he asked worriedly.
 
“Nothing's wrong,” she sniffled. “I'm happy. Do you know it's been just over a year since…since…”
 
Carefully holding the precious bundle he had been given, InuYasha leaned over and gently kissed his mate on the lips. “I know. That's how long it's been since I realized I was a baka to be so stubborn and not tell you how I felt about you. I should have told you long before that.”
 
As far as InuYasha was concerned, that was all he needed to remember - that his pride and his fear almost cost him what he considered dearest to him. InuYasha never wanted to remind Kagome again of that horrible day when they had both nearly died.
 
Holding his son cradled in one arm, InuYasha wiped Kagome's tears away. At least these were tears of joy, not tears mingled with blood and pain.
 
The girl looked like she had fallen asleep attached to her mother's breast, so Mama got a towel and helped Kagome to burp her. Mama then took the silver-haired infant and Kagome reached for the boy in InuYasha's arms. “He must be hungry, too.”
 
InuYasha nodded and gently handed him to his mother. Kagome took the boy and placed him to her other breast. Once he realized that food was near, he latched on and started to nurse. Kagome stroked his black hair and ears as he fed.
 
Mama passed the girl to InuYasha so that he could hold her. Mama was amazed at how gentle he was. She started to fuss a bit and he cradled her in his arms and started a low growl in his chest. At first Mama was alarmed, but then realized that it soothed the tiny hanyou as she snuggled into her father's strong arms.
 
The boy had finished his meal so Kagome had removed him from her breast and covered herself back up. InuYasha had been lost in his own thoughts over his mate and two beautiful pups. However he finally realized there were others waiting to find out what happened.
 
“Oi, I guess someone should tell the others what we have. Kagome, are you up to seeing any of them?” He could tell his mate was exhausted, but knew Sesshomaru would want to see them. “I won't let them stay too long. You need your rest.”
 
Kagome gathered her thoughts, “Just Sesshomaru and Kichou - that's all I can handle for now. Let any others know I'll probably feel better and up to having visitors tomorrow.”
 
InuYasha was still holding the girl, so Mama volunteered to get them. She came back just a few moments later with Sesshomaru and Kichou behind her. Mama announced she needed some coffee and would be back in a few minutes.
 
Kichou looked at the infant in Kagome's arms and then the one in InuYasha's. “They are adorable, is that the boy?” She was looking at the silver hair of the infant InuYasha held.
 
InuYasha wasn't offended; he knew newborns had little scent of their gender to help protect them. He shook his head. “This is the girl. Kagome has the boy.”
 
“They are both beautiful. It just seemed the silver hair would be the boy and the black the girl like their mother. May I?” Kichou asked as she held her arms towards InuYasha.
 
InuYasha nodded and passed the tiny girl to Kichou. Kichou stroked the head and tiny ears as she continued to sleep.
 
She handed her back to InuYasha when Sesshomaru asked, “When do you want me to inspect them?”
 
InuYasha flushed deep red. “In…inspect them?”
 
“It is a family tradition. You remember inspecting our four pups?” Sesshomaru answered.
 
InuYasha nodded. “Keh. What do you think, Kagome?” He was hoping he could stall this for as long as possible.
 
“I'm so tired, and I would like for their umbilical cord to heal at least a little before we handle them that much. I'm supposed to stay in the hospital for at least a couple of days while they make sure that everything is all right with both the pups and me. Do we need to do it here, or can it wait until we get home?” Kagome asked.
 
InuYasha breathed a sigh of relief.
 
Sesshomaru could tell something was up. “What are you not telling us, InuYasha?”
 
“Wha…what do you mean? I…I'm not hiding any…anything,” he stammered.
 
“Yes, you are. You have two pups that look like you, one as a hanyou and one as a human. Well, except for the ears. What are you hiding?” the Demon Lord asked quietly. He was afraid something was wrong that his brother didn't want him to know. InuYasha surely knew that culling was still a practice among some demons.
 
“What is it, InuYasha? You know there isn't anything wrong with either of them,” Kagome said gently. Then her eyes opened wide. There wasn't anything wrong with the pups, but there was certainly something uncommon about them both.
 
InuYasha groaned. “There isn't anything wrong with them. Let's just say that your pups weren't the only ones born with some unusual markings.”
 
“What does that mean? You could not mark your pups. You are hanyou,” Kichou said, though gently, not cruelly.
 
“Apparently, I can,” InuYasha said softly as he put the little girl to his shoulder so they could see her back.
 
“I do not believe it,” Sesshomaru said in wonder. “Nothing like this has ever been recorded.”
 
“Keh. Have I ever done anything like everyone else?” InuYasha asked. “According to the doctor, the majority of hanyou are sterile. I shouldn't even have been able to sire pups if I was like most of them.”
 
They were silent as InuYasha's last statement sunk in. Kichou finally asked, “Is the boy marked as well?”
 
InuYasha flushed a very deep red, but didn't answer.
 
Kagome looked at her mate. “He's going to find out sooner or later, anyway.”
 
InuYasha mumbled something about he'd rather it be later.
 
“InuYasha, you should be proud. You have two pups and they both bear your crest,” Kagome encouraged.
 
Kichou had remained silent wondering what was going on. She looked at her mate and saw the edges of his lips start to twitch, as he seemed to have some kind of revelation.
 
Kagome finally said, “Oh, for heaven's sake.”
 
Kagome carefully shifted her precious bundle to her shoulder and pulled down the tiny diaper that he had been clad in.
 
 
Rin and Shippou both jumped in their seats as they heard the roar of laughter that emanated from Kagome's room.
 
“I wonder what that's about. I don't think I've heard Papa laugh like that since you made Ah-Uhn mad and he sat on you,” Rin said.
 
 
Mama was walking back down the corridor with her coffee and almost spilled it when she jumped at the loud noise. `I wonder what that's about,' she thought. She had not wanted to intrude on InuYasha's visit with his brother so she decided to find a seat nearby. Mama went to the waiting area and found Rin there. Rin introduced her to Shippou so she sat down and talked quietly for a few minutes about the birth and new pups.
 
 
The great Demon Lord couldn't help himself. He was absolutely amazed that a hanyou, his half-brother, had marked his pups with the crest of their house. But when he saw where the crest was on the male pup, he exploded. InuYasha pinned his ears to his head as his brother absolutely roared with laughter. InuYasha should have known if he were finally going to hear Sesshomaru really laugh, it would be at his expense. Of course it was his own fault - he had poked fun at Sesshomaru over the fourth girl and her mark.
 
Sesshomaru finally was able to stop laughing and catch his breath. He had laughed so hard there were actually tears in the corners of his eyes. The Demon Lord just looked at InuYasha and said, “What was that comment you made to Shippou about their kits? Something about `paybacks are hell'?”
 
InuYasha just sighed as Sesshomaru started to laugh again. Finally, Kichou slapped him in the back to get him to stop. “Okay, enough already. It's a good thing the pups' ears are not opened yet or you would have scared them to death!”
 
Sesshomaru finally stopped and said, “I do not understand. Our father was not powerful enough to mark you, but you are strong enough to mark your pups? It does not make sense.”
 
“InuYasha bears the mark. Didn't you know?” Kagome said quietly.
 
“What?” InuYasha and Sesshomaru said at the same time.
 
“Its faint most of the time, but it becomes brighter when you release your youkai. I guess it is in a place you wouldn't see it unless you were really looking for it,” Kagome commented. “But it is there.”
 
“What are you talking about, Kagome? There's no record of my bearing our mark,” InuYasha remarked.
 
“Actually, Little Brother, you were never properly inspected. Father died and I did not find you and insist on it,” Sesshomaru said quietly.
 
“Like I said, when he is in his hanyou form you wouldn't really notice it unless you know it was there, or were curious and examining him all over like I was,” Kagome said with a blush.
 
InuYasha was getting red again. He didn't like where this was going.
 
Kagome finally said, “Let's just say you and your son could join Miyoshi in her `Kiss the Moon' designer wear. Turn around, InuYasha.”
 
InuYasha turned his backside to her and Kagome reached out and firmly grasped his lower left buttock through his pants in her hand. “It's right there.”
 
Kichou shook her head and grinned. Sesshomaru just howled.
 
 
The nurse finally came in and told their visitors that Kagome really needed her rest. Sesshomaru wasn't used to being told he had to leave, but one look from Kichou and he told the couple they would be back to visit tomorrow. The Demon Lord and Kichou went to the waiting area to collect Rin and Shippou, said goodnight to Mama, and headed home.
 
Mama went back in, wondering if she should ask what all of that was about. One look at InuYasha's bright red face told her that perhaps this was not the best time, so instead she asked Kagome, “How are you feeling, honey? Are you all right?”
 
“Actually, I'm starving. We went to brunch but I didn't get past my orange juice. They didn't want me to have anything once I got here. Do you think someone could get me something to eat? It's been a long day,” Kagome said with a sigh.
 
Mama nodded. “I'll see what I can do.”
 
Kagome noticed InuYasha had a distant look in his eye and was absent-mindedly rubbing his backside where she had grabbed him.
 
“What is it, InuYasha?” Kagome quietly asked her mate.
 
“I never knew. I never knew I bore the mark of our father. My mother did, though,” InuYasha said softly.
 
“Of course your mother would know. She would know every inch of you,” Kagome responded gently.
 
“I never knew why. Every time she would tell me to run and play, she would pat me on the bottom, always in that same spot. It was a reminder of him, a reminder of my father,” InuYasha said.
 
“You were her reminder, InuYasha. You were a living reminder of the love she shared with your father, just as these two will show everyone our love of each other. I do love you, InuYasha,” Kagome said as her bundle started to move a bit.
 
InuYasha was looking at the girl in his arms, and then back at his mate. “I love you, too, Kagome.”
 
They sat in silence with each other for a few minutes until Mama came back in followed by the nurse with a tray of food. Mama had convinced them to bring some for the hungry father as well since he had been so good during the delivery.
 
They rolled a table that fit over the bed and set the tray on it. The nurse told Kagome it would be all right for her son to go into the warmed bassinet to sleep since he had been fed and wasn't fussing. She finally convinced InuYasha to lay his tiny bundle into her warm bed so that he could get something to eat as well.
 
Mama smiled as she watched InuYasha try to feed Kagome. She was so exhausted she let him. He would give her a bite, and then he would take one himself. Deciding that it was time to give them some privacy, Mama said, “Kagome, InuYasha, I'm going home for the night. I'll be back in the morning. Is it all right if Souta and your grandfather want to come? I know they're excited, but I can make them wait.”
 
Kagome smiled tiredly. “It's all right; they can come if they want to. Just don't let Jii-chan bring any sutra to this hospital full of youkai, all right?”
 
Mama smiled and nodded before she left and closed the door behind her.
 
 
 
Rin and Shippou had returned to their own quarters with their kits and Sesshomaru and Kichou were finally alone. Sesshomaru could tell his mate was deep in thought, but then he had been a lot as well. He couldn't believe that he had never noticed that InuYasha bore the brand of their father. The Demon Lord wondered how he had ever thought of InuYasha as just a hanyou, an ordinary half-breed. InuYasha was anything but ordinary.
 
Kichou broke him from his thoughts. “Sesshomaru, if it hadn't been for the poison, would we have had more pups?”
 
“If you had wanted them, but after what happened, I couldn't lose you that way. I would have blamed myself to the end of my days,” Sesshomaru answered quietly. “I couldn't have lived without you.”
 
“Would you think I was crazy if I said I wanted to have another pup?” Kichou asked.
 
Sesshomaru shook his head. “I have seen the way you watched Kagome and now the new pups. I know you always wanted more, but respected my wish and did not ask.”
 
“Things have changed so much. Our own daughter has developed an antidote they are finally testing. It will be ready in a few months. Plus, Kagome is here now. I am certain that she would attend again as she did before. Plus if anything happened it should not be as traumatic for her since she would not be pregnant,” Kichou said thoughtfully.
 
Sesshomaru chuckled, “Are you sure? You know how they are.”
 
“Trust me; even with help they are going to have their hands full with hanyou twins. I am pretty certain it will be a while before they decide to have more pups,” Kichou responded.
 
 
Exhausted as they were, neither InuYasha nor Kagome received much rest during the night. One of the twins would wake and need to be either fed or changed, which would of course trigger the other to wake as well. Fortunately, the night duty nurse would come in and help as she could, especially with changing the little diapers. InuYasha was going to have to practice at that - he kept accidentally shredding them when he would get frustrated. However, he was a great help in keeping a hungry pup calm. He would hand the one that woke first to Kagome to feed, and then hold the other with the low grumble in his chest to keep the pup calm until the first was finished. If the nurse was still handy, she would take the pup that was now full and put it back to bed while InuYasha handed Kagome the second to feed. They had a pretty good tag-team routine down before the night was over.
 
 
The first visitors back the next morning were Mama along with Souta and Grandpa. Souta was chatting excitedly about getting to see his new niece and nephew, and wanted to know how long before they could talk and call him `Uncle.' Jii-chan was just as curious about his new hanyou great-grandchildren.
 
Mama had brought rice and soup for both InuYasha and Kagome for breakfast. She wasn't sure what or how much the hospital brought to them, but was certain they would both be hungry. Kagome wasn't as hungry as InuYasha, but she did manage to eat. InuYasha was hungry since he had insisted that Kagome eat the food the nurse had brought in for him as well as her own. He was worried his mate wouldn't get enough when she was breast-feeding twins. InuYasha would make certain Kagome had plenty to eat when they went home.
 
Kagome was a bit worried when her grandfather excused himself for a few minutes. After he left the room she looked at her mother. “Are you certain he didn't bring any sutra with him?”
 
Mama smiled. “Yes, honey, I'm sure. You know how he is. He probably just went to find the men's room or a cup of coffee.”
 
InuYasha perked up. “Coffee?”
 
“Would you like some, InuYasha?” Mama asked.
 
“Keh, if it isn't too much trouble,” the hanyou replied.
 
“Come on, Souta, let's go get coffee for InuYasha. I could use some, too. Kagome?” Mama asked.
 
“I don't know if I'm supposed to have caffeine while I'm breast feeding. If they have any decaf, I could stand that,” Kagome replied.
 
“All right, honey, we'll see what they have. Come on, Souta,” Mama said.
 
While they were out, Grandpa returned with the priest who had performed the wedding ceremony. “I'm sure you remember my old friend. He asked if he could see your children and arrange to bless them.”
 
“Really? But they are hanyou, you don't mind?” Kagome asked.
 
“If I did not mind performing your wedding ceremony, I certainly would not mind blessing your children. I would consider it an honor,” the old priest responded.
 
“Now?” InuYasha asked. He could tell this would make Kagome happy, but he didn't know anything about the ceremony.
 
“I'll come to the Higurashi shrine to perform the Miyamairi. It is traditionally performed when they are one month old, but can be done anytime between thirty-one days and one hundred days. Just tell my old friend here when you want me to be there, and I will arrange it.”
 
InuYasha could tell Kagome wanted to cry again. He reached over and stroked her hair as he told both of the priests, “Thank you, we will.”
 
InuYasha went and picked up the little girl, careful not to wake her. He brought her over so that the two old men could see her. “She was the first born.”
 
Jii-chan said, “Well, there certainly isn't any doubt who the father is. She looks just like you, InuYasha.”
 
“Oh, the other looks just like him, too,” Kagome said. She held her arms out for InuYasha to give her the girl. He did so and went and just as carefully picked up the little boy.
 
“This is our son,” InuYasha said as he brought the tiny boy over.
 
“You don't think he looks like his mother with the dark hair?” the old priest asked.
 
“I'll explain somewhat later,” Jii-chan responded. In a hospital full of youkai, he knew better than to bring up InuYasha's mortal form.
 
Mama and Souta had returned with coffee for InuYasha and Kagome. They had been successful in finding decaf. InuYasha went and put the boy back down and then came and took the girl from Kagome and put her back in her warm bed. He didn't want hot coffee anywhere near his pups.
 
Even Mama seemed somewhat surprised to see the old priest there with Gramps. She smiled when they explained what they wanted to do. She agreed and said that they would make the arrangements to perform the blessing the following month.
 
Grandpa also decided it probably was not a good idea for two priests and a very busy little boy to hang around too long in a hospital full of youkai, so he told Souta it was time for them to leave. Kagome needed some rest and she wouldn't get any while they were there. His old friend wanted to come over and visit for a while, so he volunteered to drive them to the shrine. Once their congratulations and goodbyes were said, they headed home.
 
 
The next visitor to drop in was Mai. She wanted to see the twins before she went to the apartment and started working to make certain that everything would be ready for their arrival, including the spare bedroom Mama was going to use. Mama had volunteered to stay with them and help for at least a few days. Kagome was grateful since she knew they would have their hands full. Besides, it wasn't like she was going to be up for any acrobatics with InuYasha for a while, anyway.
 
 
InuYasha flattened his ears to his head when Sesshomaru arrived with Kichou around lunchtime. The one good thing was that they had stopped and picked up real food for them. They had even brought enough for Mama since they assumed she would be there with her daughter.
 
“Why so forlorn looking, Little Brother,” Sesshomaru asked. InuYasha still had his ears pinned to his head. Of course the Demon Lord knew why, he just wanted to give him a hard time.
 
InuYasha sighed as his shoulders sagged. They could barely hear him as he said, “I'm sorry. I never should have laughed about your daughter's mark.”
 
“Well, at least she was the daughter that looked like her mother. She probably was making some sort of statement. I find it interesting that it is your son that looks like you in your human form that carries it there. And you do as well and you look like Father. Of course the fact that a hanyou bears the crest at all is remarkable, no matter where it is,” Sesshomaru said.
 
“Does that mean you won't laugh at me any more?” InuYasha asked hopefully.
 
Sesshomaru chuckled. “Oh, I did not say that. I am sure it will come in useful. You know - I should inspect you and record your traits. You are most unusual after all.”
 
“You want to what!” InuYasha exclaimed.
 
“Well, you were never properly recorded in the family records. I should inspect you along with your pups,” Sesshomaru said again.
 
“You mean you want me to…”
 
“Strip down to your bare ass so I can see Father's mark on your butt. Yes, I think I do.” Sesshomaru was starting to laugh again. He was going to get everything out of this that he could.
 
InuYasha turned bright red and just dug into his noodles so he wouldn't have to respond.
 
Even Kagome was blushing now. “Maybe it would be a good idea to wait until we are back home for all of this. InuYasha, it isn't like your brother hasn't seen you naked before.”
 
“Yeah, but he wasn't really looking at me, or he would have noticed it before.” InuYasha cringed.
 
Kichou was smiling now. “You know, I think Daddy would be interested in this as well. Don't you need him as a witness?”
 
InuYasha just plopped bonelessly to the floor. “Kami, help me.”
 
 
Well, the gods may not have saved him, but Rin and Shippou did show up. They heard a knock at the door when Kichou said, “Oh, I forgot. Shippou and Rin are here with us. Can they come in?”
 
InuYasha could even put up with the runt if it would distract his brother for a while. He looked to his mate and she nodded. Kichou went and opened the door to let them in.
 
“Hi, Kagome, InuYasha, how are you?” Rin asked.
 
InuYasha gave one glare in Shippou's direction that made it clear he wasn't to be rough with his mate, so Shippou opted for a gentle hug instead. “How are you, Kagome? How are you and the pups?”
 
“They're fine, runt,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Oh, Shippou's just a bit embarrassed that he's a full demon, but you handled your mate's delivery better than he did,” Rin responded, ruffling Shippou's red head.
 
InuYasha grinned, that made him feel better. “What did he do?”
 
“Well, he waited until I had the first one about half way out before he screamed and ran out of the room. They told me later that he passed out cold in the hall,” Rin answered.
 
Shippou was mumbling something under his breath about blood, pain, and sweat.
 
“Oi, runt, it wasn't nearly as bad for you as it was for your mate,” InuYasha chided.
 
“I shouldn't have been there to begin with! Males aren't supposed to be in the birthing room,” Shippou proclaimed.
 
“Then why were you there?” Kagome asked.
 
Shippou didn't answer so Rin did, “He knew that Papa was present for the birth of Kichou's four pups, so he thought he should emulate him and be there for my one. I tried to tell him it wasn't necessary. I knew I would end up worrying about him instead. But in the end it helped, I was so worried about what he was doing that it took my mind off of the pain.”
 
Kichou joined in, “Besides Sesshomaru would not have stayed if I had not made him. I had such a grip on him he could not get away. He did turn an interesting shade of green, though.”
 
InuYasha looked at his brother in empathy. “I know what you mean.”
 
 
Sesshomaru could tell that Kagome was getting tired, and decided of his own accord that they should leave. Everyone said goodbye and promised to come back the following day. Of course any thought for a nap by Kagome went out the window when one of the pups starting fussing.
 
InuYasha picked up the fussy one. He didn't feel wet, so he brought him over to Kagome as she opened her top and InuYasha helped her settle him to her breast. The pups eagerly pulled the nipple into his mouth and started to suckle.
 
For once the other actually waited until her brother was almost through before she started to cry as well. InuYasha picked her up and rocked her in his arms while her brother finished his meal. When he appeared to have had enough, Kagome asked her mother to take him so InuYasha could hand her the other. Mama stroked his hair and little ears as she carried him back to his bed.
 
When the girl was finished, InuYasha took her and put her back to bed as well. At that point, Mama told them they should try to at least take a nap while the babies were so she would leave for now. Mama promised to come back with something for their dinner before she left and closed the door silently behind her.
 
 
 
The nurse peeked in a little later and smiled at the sight in front of her. InuYasha had climbed on the bed and had his arm thrown protectively over his mate. Both of them appeared to be sound asleep with their pups in the basinets by the bed. She closed the door and left them alone. She knew they had better enjoy what little peace and quiet they could get while they could.
 
 
To be continued…