Blue Gender Fan Fiction ❯ Let Me - Marlene ❯ Tell Me Again ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Jon Hardin

Mapes 2

Writing project

Blue Gender:

Let Me

Disclaimer: I don't own Blue Gender, But I do own this retelling of the final episode

 

"RAGGHH!" The Queen Blue roared at us.

"Is that all we are to you?" Yuji cried back, "A nuisance!?" Yuji charged forward, whipping out the blades on his Double-edge mobile armor to meet the Blue head on. Yuji and the Queen met in a clash of blades, dust, and armor. The two grappled and wrestled, fighting for the right to exist in the world. It was clear, only one of them would leave this place alive.

"Yuji!" I cried "Watch out for its tail!" as said tail spears out from behind the monstrous form of the Queen Blue. It crashed through the arm segment of the Double-edge, knocking the gun and bayonet from Yuji's armor. Yuji threw the arm of the Double-edge forward and connected with what could only be described as the creatures jaw and continued his assault: hacking with the blades and grappling with the creature itself.

I sat over near the entrance of the cave we had entered, watching the battle between Yuji and the Queen. As I watch the fight between the one I loved and the one who had been the bane of my existence since my birth, I feared for Yuji's life. Oh no, not because of he was fighting the one creature who could really stand up to him, but because of the things that fighting that thing does to him. Yuji's body has what is called B-Cells. He is what is called a Sleeper. In the year 2009, there was an apparent epidemic of a disease that was incurable at the time. Something went wrong though. There was a sudden spike in evolution. Creatures such as rabbits, dogs, cats, they began to evolve. They turned into what looked like giant bugs. These bugs were called the "Blue."

The mobile armors that the both of us pilot are called Double-edges. An appropriate name considering what they do to Sleepers. The B-Cells that all Sleepers posses allow them to look inside the mind of the Blue that they are fighting. Normally that isn't a problem, but the Double-edges enhanced this ability to the point where it was dangerous to the sleeper pilots. It pushes the B-Cells in the Sleepers bodies into over-drive (some sleepers have been known to wipe out entire Blue nests in a single go). If this goes on for too long, the mind of the Sleeper pilot will become warped. It will begin to function like a Blue mind.

This happened once before to two sleepers named Toni and Alicia. They were sent alone on a mission to wipe out a nest, even though Toni alone could have easily devastated a small nest all on his own. The two came back less than successful. In fact, they came back with a ship-full of Blue under their control. Toni and Alicia killed all but one member of the science committee. The member of the science committee then announced that the Sleepers and the Blue were a suicide order from the earth to end human existence and start anew with a new species. And so the remaining two sleepers and myself were sent on what was dubbed a suicide mission.

We reached a cavern within a nest in which there was a Queen Blue incubating. It awoke and killed the other Sleeper with Yuji and I. Yuji went into a rage, and the fight for his life, mine and so much more began.

"SNAP!!!" One of Yuji's blades broke when the Blue countered with its own bone-like blades that hung on biological swing arms from the back of Blue, and cut the diamond-tipped blade of Yuji's Double-edge armor and the tail snapped around again at Yuji and his Double-edge. This time the Queens tail found its mark. It slammed dead center into the Double-edge, knocking it against the wall.

"Yuji!" I screamed, looking over at him. "Yuji are you alright?" Yuji couldn't hear me, he was out cold. The Blue, believing its prey to be dead, lumbered over towards me. I screamed and brought up my rifle to shoot and kill the Blue. But I could not find the Blue's core. The one weakness that the blue have; their cores. A core is in effect a Blue's heart/central nervous system: destroy it and there's no way it can survive. Finding no core, I fired madly, the mobile armor's inertial stabilizer reduced the recoil to such a level that I wasn't going to have my teeth shaken out. Bullets found their mark but only served to annoy the Queen. It charged me full on and I used the great maneuverability of the Double-edge to dodge out of the way of the Queen's mad dash. What I didn't expect was the tail lash that came just after the Queen passed me. It knocked my rifle from the Double-edge's grasp and took another shot at me with its tail. I was able to see the tail in time to avoid it but not the massive crushing blow that came from the creature's great right claw. It hit me so hard that my mobile armor was knocked flat on its back. The Queen jumped high into the air, its blades of bone flashing in the faint glow of the cavern. The Queen fell from the enormous height it had leapt to. I closed my eyes and waited for my swiftly approaching end, but it never came.

"AAAAHHHHHH!!!"' Yuji had come to in time to see the Queen try to leap upon me. He charged in and hit the Queen so hard that she was knocked clear across the cavern. "Marlene," Yuji panted, "are you…okay?"

"I'm fine Yuji," I replied shakily, "just kill that thing so we can get out of here"

Yuji gave a cocky smirk and with a voice of confidence that belied the fear of his own demise, he said "Don't worry Marlene, we'll be out of here soon. I promise" Yuji, despite his doubts, sped over to the Queen as quickly as his severely damaged Double-edge would carry him. The Queen got up and shook of the daze that Yuji's sudden attack had induced upon her, and looked at Yuji, making a great lash with its tail. Yuji dodged it easily, and used his momentum to spin around and provide sufficient force to drive his remaining blade into the gullet of the Queen. The Queen shrieked in agony as Yuji tore the wound open with the immense strength of the Double-edge. He picked up the long since rifle that had been tossed from his Double-edge and shoved it into the wound in such a way that the shout would pierce the Queen's head. Yuji locked his gaze into the six multifaceted eyes of the Blue Queen. "Leave us in piece…" Yuji said in a deathly whisper.

"BANG!!!"' the body of the once living Queen fell to the floor of the cavern in a bloody heap. I moved quickly over to where Yuji now stood. He was out of his Double-edge and on the ground staring out at the scene of carnage he had caused. I jumped nimbly out of my armor as well and walked over to him.

"Are you okay Yuji?" I asked tentatively.

Yuji, who had been facing away, turned to me and said "No Marlene. No I'm not. But I will be." He brushed my golden bangs out of my eyes and put his hand to my cheek. "I just have one more thing to take care of and then we can all finally return to Earth." He looked over at the giant thing that the Queen had come out of. The only source of light in the cavern other that the floodlights on the muzzles of our rifles.

"No Yuji, don't! You don't know what could happen!" I cried. Yuji placed a calming finger over my lips.

"It'll be okay Marlene," Yuji whispered reassuringly as he pulled me into an embrace. "I'll be back sooner than you think."

"You'd better come back," I said, "because if you don't…Yuji…this is your child."

Yuji looked at me with wide surprised eyes for a moment, but then turned back into that same warm, reassuring smile, "All the more reason for me to come back then. Now go on outside, I'll be back soon, I just want to look at the hive core." and that was it. I got into my Double-edge and went back to our base in the forest.

I went slowly out of the nest, hoping with every fiber of my being that Yuji would be coming out of that hellhole alive. Just because we had beaten the Queen, doesn't me that a hive mind couldn't be dangerous as well. I sat down underneath the bright tropical noon sun, trying to think of how this all had started.

After the Blue began emerging, society, fearing what was different, rejected the Blue. They beat and killed them, showing no mercy to any of the Blue. The Blue however, could adapt even faster than humans could to hostile environments. Soon the Blue grew to enormous proportions, attacking human cities and hunting down humans for food. The Blue overwhelmed the humans as a race, and so a colony was built called Second Earth. Those who could afford it moved with it into outer space. Those who couldn't or wouldn't go into outer space, stayed on the earth and became nomads. They traveled from place to place, using safety in numbers to protect themselves.

Somewhere along the line, some one must have figured out that the appearance of the mysterious epidemic was not a disease of any kind, but the bodies of the Sleepers reacting to the current absence of the Blue. The parts of the Sleepers bodies reacting to said absence was a genetic mutation of cells called B-Cells. When in the presence of Blue, the cells allowed to think like the Blue and read their thoughts. The people who resisted the blue sent recovery teams to retrieve those who had been placed in cryogenic sleep. Although many sleepers were recovered, many of the hungry Blue had found the Sleepers before the retrieval teams could and we lost many people to them as well.

I was also part of one of the recovery teams. My team was the one who had found Yuji. He was the only survivor of his group of sleepers. He had awoken from a twenty-two year sleep to find himself in a room of human remains. It wasn't much longer before I stumbled across him in a Sniper AP mobile armor. The mobile suit frightened him and he ran right into a pack of Blue. We barely escaped with him. My team, Yuji, and myself then headed to Korea to return to Second Earth but the aircraft assigned to return us was destroyed by several flying Blue we then traveled across the far east, heading for a small artificial island on which a military base had been set up. This was feasible because the Blue simply could not swim. And sense they had no way to get across such a large body of water, the only threat came from flying Blue. Or so we thought.

There were supply tunnels that ran under water and up to the island. Apparently the Blue found the entrance to the tunnels and thus the entrance to the island. We were able to escape. But several un-awakened Sleepers were lost in the chaos. And we didn't escape without a passenger either. A Blue that could take over a human mind and use it as a host as well as impale people with sharp tentacles. The Blue assimilated one of the pilots and attacked me in the passenger area Yuji stepped in the path of the attack and was badly hurt.

When we returned to Second Earth, the medical staff came and retrieved Yuji.

I didn't see him for a week. My practice scores slipped, not enough that anyone other than myself would notice, but it was enough that I knew what was happening. I had tried from the beginning to distance myself from serious relationships. I had learned that they only made things more painful when that special some one was killed in the field by the Blue. But as much as I had tried to avoid it, it had happened anyway. I had fallen in love with Yuji, and without even realizing it. I cursed myself for being so stupid, for letting weaknesses spring up on me from the dark. So I tried to ignore it. I thought that even if it had happened, I could quash my emotions through forced ignorance of the obvious. I tried that whole week. It didn't work. I finally couldn't take it anymore. I started snooping around, trying to find Yuji. As it turned out, he found me.

I was in training and as I had said, I was a little sloppy. So I didn't notice when a Blue snuck-up behind me in the sim. I had no idea. Until I saw a shot whiz over my shoulder and looked behind me to find the dead beast lying dead in a heap, shot through its core. "Thanks," I said as the sim ended, I jumped out of the simulation pod to congratulate the person in the next pod on the fantastic shot he had made, "that was a pretty nice shot. What's your name?"

The pod opened up and Yuji stepped out with a smirk, "C'mon Marlene, don't tell me you've forgotten who I am already now?" I stared in disbelief. It couldn't be him, I was sure the reason I hadn't heard anything was because he had died on the operating table. "What is it Marlene? Why are you staring?" I turned away to hide my blush

"It's nothing, forget about it." I said. "So where have you been for the past week?"

"Debriefing," Yuji replied nonchalantly.

I fell further in love, even as I fought not to. When Yuji met Toni, his drive to be the best kicked in. It almost drove him insane. It drove him to the point where he almost killed me in his pursuit of dominance in the field of battle. The Double-edges didn't help matters any either. And then that fateful day; that fateful, wonderful day when I finally told him how I felt. When I woke up the next day, it felt so good just to lay there in his arms, not having to worry about anything. But that was no longer the case. The hive core would kill him. It would overwhelm his mind so that even if he did survive the encounter, he would be in a vegetative state for the rest of his life. The more I thought about it, the worse I felt about letting him stay in there. And it happened, it finally happened. For the first time in fifteen years I cried. After I watched my parents killed at the hands of the Blue, I swore I would never cry again. But I did. I wept bitterly, until I felt a comforting weight on my shoulders. I looked up to see Yuji.

"Yuji," I gasped, hardly daring to believe it, "Yuji is that really you?"

"Who else do you think I could be now huh?" He pulled me into a kiss. I returned it with such passion I surprised us both. Then, finally coming up for air, I threw my arms around his chest and cried for joy. Holding me close he whispered, "It's okay now Marlene, we can all come home to earth now."