Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Heart's Treasures ❯ Danger ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Heart's Treasures: Part 12
By: Starlight Rose
Email: starlighto_rose@hotmail.com

A.N. Sorry this took so long but I am generally busy with college, my boyfriend, and my friends. I don't have much free time and what free time I do have, I generally don't like using it for writing. I'm still not very motivated, but I am trying to finish at least this story no matter how slowly. Please be patient and of course review. Reviews are all that keeps me from dropping this story altogether. I don't want to disappoint the nice people that have been encouraging me so I've worked on this slowly but surely. I am really sorry that it takes me so long but I don't write unless I feel like it. This chapter was meant to be longer, but as usual I got tired of writing and decided it's been too long since I updated.

Disclaimer: CCS does not belong to me, yadda, yadda, yadda. It belongs to the wonderful ladies of Clamp. I'm just borrowing the characters. The story however is an original re-telling of the Grimm's fairy tale of Thousand Furs. Therefore this story is mine. Steal and I'll send my rabid fans and my platoon of geeky but wonderful friends after you.

Syaoran sighed with relief as he watched the Solarian delegates being carried away by their gilded carriages. Not much had been accomplished by their visit but at the very least a tentative alliance reached through various compromises mainly from the Faunians had at least been achieved. Although the Solarians had refused to commit troops should the Fuanians need assistance if the Noctrus Kingdom ever attack, they did however agree not to join the Nocturians and agreed to provide aid in the form of supplies to the Fuanians. In return the Fuanians had agreed to about the same thing though they also were forced to agree to allow Solarian missionaries free movement through their kingdom to convert their subjects to the fanatical sun worship. At the very least the sun worship was fairly orthodox and did not involve any paganistic rituals.

Now that was over with though, Syaoran knew he had to deal with the problem of Sakura. The girl was hiding something from him. He was absolutely sure of that, but how could he pressure her into telling him without risking his friendship with her. Syaoran loved Sakura too much to lose her to curiosity. He just wanted her to be happy, but although she usually seemed content she seemed never to be truly happy. There was always a sadness lurking in the young girl's brilliant green eyes, and Syaoran was positive it had something to do with whatever she was hiding from him.

But to get her to talk about it would probably force her to talk about her past. Syaoran wasn't sure he could bear seeing the open pain on her face whenever Sakura thought about her past. He knew whatever had happened to Sakura prior to her coming to Fauna, it was something that had hurt the girl deeply. He couldn't make her tell him everything. Sakura had been guarding whatever secret she had been hiding too carefully to just openly tell him or to let him force her into telling him. Syaoran would just have to wait. He had hoped he had gained her trust but maybe trust and friendship weren't enough.

Truth be told friendship was no longer what Syaoran felt for Sakura. He knew that for a fact. What he felt for the girl was a deep connection that he was sure was love, though having never been in love before, Syaoran did not know what to do about it. The fact that Sakura was a mere scullery maid made the situation more complicated. As King, Syaoran was technically allowed to do as he wished i.e. he could marry whomever he wished. In reality, tradition and social dictates made it so that he could really only marry a member of the nobility. Which made Sakura an impossible person for him to be in love with. Ying Fa would have been much more suitable for him. Too bad she had disappeared as mysteriously as she had appeared. His only proof that she had existed was the numerous witnesses and the ring.

Why did the girls he actually liked and could develop feelings for all be so impossible, Syaoran wondered idly. Both girls had to also have the same pair of eyes too. Deep green, full of life and love, but touched with sadness. It was enough to drive a young man insane. If only he could get to the bottom of either of the mystery surround the two girls, Syaoran was sure he could be happy, though he had a nagging suspicion that he could only be truly happy with Sakura, despite Ying Fa.

As his thoughts wondered around in circles his body had traced the familiar garden paths that led to the cherry grove where he normally met Sakura. When he finally realized where he was he looked about him searching for the slight girl. She was nowhere to be seen and disappointment bowed his head. He hoped that the events occurring after the ball had not made Sakura wary of meeting him in the garden.

Syaoran sat down next to one of the larger trees and leaned back resting against it. He looked up at the trees noting their brilliant green leaves that reminded him so much of Sakura's eyes. Sunlight streamed through the leaves leaving bright splotches all over the shadowed ground. He closed his eyes and thought some more. His feelings for Sakura were highly inappropriate considering his station and hers, and he knew that before his feelings for her got any stronger that he should cut off all contact with her, but he just couldn't bring himself to do so. She was his one comfort. She was the only one seemingly able to make him relax and be himself. Most of all she was the only one who appreciated him for himself.

It had been a tiring month and Syaoran was exhausted. With his eyes closed and pleasant thoughts of Sakura filling his head, the Faunian king dozed off. An arrogant man's voice jolted him back into conscience-ness. He recognized the voice and grimaced. It was the voice of Baron Cander, a handsome, but annoyingly arrogant, and vain young nobleman that had been unsuccessfully pursuing one of Syaoran's older sisters in hopes of attaining a better title and more wealth for himself. Syaoran's older sister Fanren luckily had better sense than she appeared to have, and repeatedly refused the young lord. Syaoran was a bit surprised by that because the baron's blond hair and blue eyes were precisely what his sister liked.

Sighing tiredly, Syaoran got up from where he was sitting and went in search of the grating voice to give the man a stinging set-down for having disturbed Syaoran's nap. He idly wondered what the cad was doing in his garden. Normally the gardens were empty of everyone but gardeners during the day. It was at night when couples seeking beautiful scenery and privacy during a banquet or ball that the gardens tended to become a popular place. Most nobles were usually too busy sleeping at this time of day to be in the gardens.

When he finally managed to trace the source of the voice, the sight before him caused, Syaoran to see red. Murder was the first thing that popped into his mind, however he restrained himself- just barely, but he did. It wouldn't do to kill a nobleman no matter how much the fiend may deserve it. In a tightly controlled authoritative voice, Syaoran commanded, "Let. Her. Go."

*******************************

It had been a week since Sakura had last seen Syaoran. The memory of dancing with him carried her through the days of drudgery bringing warmth to her as she could feel his arms wrapped protectively around her as they danced. It was a wonderful experience though the knowledge that she lost her mother's ring marred the memory slightly. But Sakura refused to regret the evening. It was too wonderful to regret and so far her identity had not yet been revealed so she concluded that overall the experience had been worth one it. She replaced one of the treasures her heart treasured most with another one. It was a fair trade. Besides, Syaoran now had her mother's ring. Maybe one day she could get him to give it back to her.

Breakfast had been served and Sakura was free for about an hour before she had to return to the kitchens. She traveled the well known route to the cherry grove that she usually met Syaoran in. The Solarian delegates had just left earlier that morning so the emerald-eyed maid had hopes of seeing Syaoran again. It had been a while since he had been free and Sakura was eager to resume their aborted lessons, though Sakura knew that the lessons were just an excuse. Sakura just wanted to see his beloved face not to say she didn't enjoy learning about animals and teaching him about plants. But it was more than just that. She enjoyed talking to him and being with him. He was always so kind and understanding towards her and Sakura knew that she loved him. Syaoran made her feel safe, warm, and secure- a feeling she didn't think she could ever have felt again after the night of her disastrous birthday.

As she wound her way through the rose gardens a harsh male voice stopped her. "Wha'da we have 'ere?" the voice slurred. Sakura whirled around to see a young nobleman with tousled blond hair and bleary blue eyes leering at her. The young man's elegant clothes were rumpled and there was a drunken sway to the nobleman's manner.

"I...I...I was just going to visit the cherry grove, my lord." Sakura stuttered nervously. She didn't like the man's eyes roved over her. It somehow made her feel dirtier than all the sot and dirt that she hid under ever did.

"Wha' arr' ya' doin' here in the first place gerl? Don'cha know tha' this gardun is re...restrict...restricted to servants. Only nobila'ty and such can come here." the drunken nobleman demand pompously moving closer to Sakura.

Sakura began backing away from him until she felt the thorns from the large rose bushes pressing into the exposed portions of her neck and even then, she was reluctant to stop. "I was given permission to come here..." Sakura said hesitantly sure he would not believe her.

Sakura was right. The young man started advancing on her and sneered with contempt. "How'd a lil' scur..scur'rury maid like you get permission to come 'ere. Only the damn snobby royal family can give someone permission." The reek of alcohol coming from the nobleman as he got closer was overwhelming. Sakura wanted to gag.

"I'll leave now, my lord." Sakura said quickly trying to take the chance to escape. She tried to turn and run away. The young lord's hand shot out and grabbed her, jerking her back roughly.

"Not so fast missy." The lord commanded squeezing her arm painfully. "You need some punishing." Sakura's eyes widened with fright as the young nobleman looked her rudely up and down. A menacing gleam came to his eyes as he leered pervertedly at her. "Yer' a bit dirty, but I don't mind. This won't be much of punishment getting attention from a handsome young lord like me, but I'm feeling kind of down since that bitch of a princess turned me down, so you'll do."

Trying to keep the tears of pain and fright from escaping her eyes Sakura pleaded with the young man once again, "Please...let me lea..." Before she could finish her sentence, the drunk nobleman jerked her roughly forward and pressed his body to her and crushed her mouth violently with his. His arms trapped the arm that was not imprisoned by him already by her side. The stench of alcohol coming from him was overwhelming and Sakura felt light-headed from it. The pain of the drunk's grip and his mouth crushing her however brought to her in full force the dire situation she was in. If she could not extract herself from him, Sakura was sure she was going to be raped. She struggled against him, but the young man just tightened his grip on her and seemed to enjoy her struggles.

In a desperate attempt to get him to release her Sakura screwed up her courage and strength and quickly lifted her leg up and kneed him as hard as she could in the groin. Sakura had never been told why it hurt men so much to be kneed there, but Eriol had once told her that if she ever got into a situation like this that doing so would cause the man hurting her a great deal of pain. Eriol was apparently right. With a shriek of pain the nobleman released her and crumbled to the ground.

Seeing her chance to escape Sakura started running back to the kitchens. Suddenly she felt someone grab her arm again and jerk her roughly around. "NO!" Sakura tried to shout but the enraged man's hand clamped over her mouth.

"You little bitch! How dare you do that to a peer of the realm!" The man demanded as he moved the hand from her mouth only to pull it back and slap her viciously across the face. It was the first time anyone had ever hit Sakura and the blow stunned her a bit, but she quickly was released from her paralysis when the nobleman started to violently pull her fur coat off of her revealing her slight form underneath.

Sakura shivered from the frightful look in the man's eyes as he assessed her. "Yer' not bad looking wench. I'm going to enjoy this a lot." Shaking violently Sakura again tried to struggle away. The man was too strong and this time as he trapped her he was sure to trap her legs as well preventing Sakura from giving a repeat performance of her earlier trick.

The hand that had been used to slap her was now groping her body making Sakura feel sick and filthier than all the dust and ashes that she normally hid herself under ever did. Since one of her hands was free she pounded on the man's chest as hard as she could but to no avail. Her mouth trapped by his couldn't scream for help and Sakura was sure this time she was doomed.

Suddenly she heard a blessedly familiar voice command in the harshest tone she had ever heard from him, "Let. Her. Go." The drunken nobleman released her immediately. He looked up at her savior, her Syaoran with fear etched over his face and Sakura felt a rush of relief wash over her body.

"Your...your...majesty!" The nobleman exclaimed. "What are you doing here?!?"

"I should ask you the same." Syaoran said in a tightly controlled voice colder than the coldest winter wind.

Sakura was sure she heard wrong. The nobleman did not just call Syaoran "Your majesty" because if he did that meant Syaoran was the Faunian King. Everything was just surreal. Sakura felt her knees giving away. She started feeling dizzy and felt herself falling but couldn't stop it from happening. Relief and amazement had overwhelmed her and Sakura knew she was going to faint, but try as she might she couldn't stop it.

Syaoran had been glaring at the offending baron when a movement from the corner of his eye caught his attention and he turned just in time to see Sakura swoon. Faster than he knew he could move, Syaoran was by the girl's side and catching her. Holding her tenderly in his arms Syaoran felt much of his tension begin to drain away until he thought of what had probably made her swoon. Looking up at the nobleman again Syaoran glared menacingly, "If I were you, my lord, I would find something to do in another kingdom for a long time. If I ever see you around here again or hear about you assaulting any innocent young girl again, you will find yourself unable to ever produce an heir."

The man's face blanched visibly and he nodded his understanding as he bowed and fled from the gardens no doubt to do as Syaoran had suggested.

Picking Sakura's fur coat up from the ground, Syaoran placed it gently over her and picked the girl up. He was surprised at how light she was. It was true that she was very tiny and slim, but he had never imagined her to be as light as she was. Sakura slept on completely unaware. Syaoran smiled down at her and kissed her softly and lovingly on the forehead. He knew for sure now. He was in love with this slip of a girl, but what could he do about it? He couldn't marry her without breaking so many social taboos that the kingdom would be a buzz with it for his entire reign and probably his heir's reign too. Sakura would never be accepted either and she would constantly be cut down and insulted and Syaoran would not let that happen to her. He couldn't just let her stay a scullery maid either. Other noblemen like Baron Cander might see her just as a servant and Sakura might be in similar danger again. He couldn't stand to see her sweet innocence ripped from her like that and he knew that he would kill any man that did that to her.

Syaoran carried her into the kitchens and heard many exclamations of surprise from the servants as he passed through trying to find Chihiru. He knew the head chef was Takashi's beloved and Sakura's friend. She would show him where to take Sakura.

When he finally found the cook, Chihiru looked at him with shock, "Your majesty!" she exclaimed and then saw Sakura in his arms. "What happened to Thousand Furs? Is she alright? How come you are carrying her?"

"Can you tell me where her room is so I can take her there?" Syaoran asked.

"Follow me." Chihiru told him. A sinking feeling was coming into Chihiru's heart. She hoped that the young man Sakura had been meeting was not the king but she was certain she was wrong. Though his aquaintance with the gentle young girl would certainly explain the young king's change in manners in the past few months, Chihiru feared for her friend's heart. She knew that Thousand Furs was in love with whoever she had been meeting and if she was in love with the king than her heart was bound to be broken.

She led the king into Sakura's small room and could see the disapproval on the young king's face. He took the girl over to the bed and placed her gently on it, tenderly brushing a stray hair from her face. The look on the king's face made Chihiru hope for a second that the king also loved her friend, but then reality reasserted itself and Chihiru knew that even if he did, he still couldn't marry a scullery maid. "What happened to her?" Chihiru asked tenatively.

The king's face darkened, "A drunk nobleman tried to abuse her. I got there just in time to save her."

Rage filled Chihiru's face as she asked in a hard voice, "Who was it? I'll slip some unpleasant purgative powder into his food and make sure he regrets this."

A smile twitched at Syaoran's lips and he answered. "Lord Cander. If you do that, I'll reward to handsomely. He's an ass of the worst sort and though I dealt with him already giving him some added discomfort on his unofficial exile might be nice as well."

"I'll see to it immediately." Chihiru told the king smiling at him. "I can take care of Thousand Furs if your majesty would like to return to his duties."

"Actually, I'd like to be here when Sakura wakes up. Could you get someone to bring in a chair for me? I'll watch over her. Also tell Takashi to inform my mother, I might not attend my duties this afternoon. Tell him he can make up whatever wild story he wants." Syaoran requested as he sat down on the edge of the bed and gazed lovingly at Sakura trying to devise a solution to the problem of keeping her safe from unwanted attentions.

"As you wish, your majesty." Chihiru curtsied and left the room certain that the king loved her friend. She prayed for both the gentle people in the tiny room's happiness. They both deserved happiness especially with each other and Chihiru hoped that fate would be kind enough to find a way for them to be happy.