Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Race Against Time ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Detective Prince
Chapter 5
Race Against Time


"Sonoko never showed for class, got  my seat moved to the front to avoid any future confrontation with her."

The clouds bulged up as the wind swayed from side to side. A cool breeze blew in as he made his way back to the shed. A car drove past as it splashed water up which got caught on the side of his suit. Tim payed little attention to this. Not long after he found himself back in the shed. He took off his school clothes, folding and placing them on one of the tables. He then suited up. The cowl hanged from the back of his neck as he took a seat at the computer.

"Now to import the pictures I took yesterday night."

Tim uploaded the images as he stashed it into his data base.

"Now let's see if I can find out what kind of vehicle was at the abduction sight."

The computer began a quick scan as Tim sat and waited. It wasn't long as the computer found a match.

"A Ford Econoline, can't say I didn't see that coming." Tim said feeling good about his progress.

His phone began to ring as he reached over and answered it.

"This is Tim."

"Hey Tim."

"Kon?"

"That would be me, how are things in Japan?"

"Slow, but I'm making progress. How are things in Smallville?" Tim asked.

"Not to crazy this week, just got back from a mission with the Titans."

"How'd that go?"

"We got the job done. Just thought I'd give a call to my best bud."

"Thanks, I needed that."

"Got to go, couple things I need to finish for school."

"Later."

With that he hung up.
He slowly made his way up the stairs. As he approached the front door he heard voices coming from the other side. Conan reached up as he pushed the door open. Ran sat at the couch along side Eri and Sonoko.

"How was your day at school?" Eri asked.

"It was alright I guess." Conan replied.

"Conan have you talked to Shinichi lately, it would be great if you could get him to come here." Eri said.

"No one ever knows where he is." Sonoko side commented while wrapping her arms around Ran.

"I haven't talked to him in awhile, think he's out on a big case." Conan replied.

"Just great, when Ran needs me most I'm nowhere to be found."

Conan made his way to his room as he sat up onto the bed. He pulled his phone out to see Heiji had called an additional two times.

"Don't think I'm ready to talk, I'll give him a call when....."

His phone slid out of his hand as he fell onto his back. His eyes closed as he slowly fell asleep.
Hours had gone by as he sat at his computer going through all the evidence. He played the audio file he had put together, playing it over and over.

"I looked through the criminal records, no one in the database owns a Ford Econoline."

Tim replayed the video once again but found no further insight. He then rewinded the survaliance tape thirty minutes before the two had arrived in the store.

"Maybe there's something I missed."

He watched on as fifteen minutes in something caught his attention.

"Wait a minute, there was another little girl who was in the store?"

He watched as the girl called someone. She then walked off the screen toward the left. Nearly fifteen minutes later into the tape the other two children came into the picture.

"That other little girl was still in the store when they arrived, that must have been who they were talking to. Why else would the boy have mentioned cooties." Tim said.

Tim sat back in his chair once more.

"Maybe that girl invited them there."

He sat there tapping his fingers on the desk.

"Come on Tim, you can do this."

He played the tape once more, then watched the video. He then thought back to his visit to the school. Tim's eyes widened as he sprung up from his chair which fell to the ground.

"That's why I couldn't find any evidence of a struggle, that's why all trails were cold on finding this guy, the abductor is using a child to ring in his prey!"

His eyes slowly opened as he heard his name being called. Conan sat up as Ran entered the room.

"Conan, Ayumi's mother just called."

"What did she want?" Conan asked.

"Ayumi is missing, she hasn't called home all day." Ran informed.

"She was supposed to be going to Salekea's house." Conan said.

"Who is that?"

"Classmate of ours." Conan replied.

"I'll let her know." Ran said as she left the room.

Conan reached for his phone to see he had missed phone calls from most of his friends. He dialed Ayumi's cell. She didn't answer.

"Oh no, what if the abductor took Salekea and Ayumi. I need to go see Dr. Agasa." Conan thought to himself as he jumped down from his bed and darted into the hall.

"Conan where are you going?" Eri asked.

"Out!" Conan quickly replied.

Conan ran down the street at top speed as many thoughts ran through his head.

"I promised Ayumi I wouldn't let anything happen to her..........oh Ayumi... please be ok."

It wasn't to much longer as he found himself on Dr. Agasa's front door. He stood over as he tried to catch his breath. He then walked forward as he began to knock. The door slid open the next second as Conan looked to see Ai.

"Why are you all out of breath?" Ai asked asked putting a hand on her hip.

"Haibara....Ayumi's missing." Conan stated.

Fear came over Ai's face as Conan stepped in.

"You're going to find her, right?" Ai asked.

Conan didn't reply as he made his way over to Dr. Agasa who was on the computer.

"Conan, what are you doing here?"

"Ayumi is missing, I think she's been abducted. If that is the case someone must have known her schedule, can you get an extended background check on all employees in the school district?" Conan asked.

"I'll do it now." Dr. Agasa said as he looked to the computer.

All Conan and Ai could do was sit and wait. Conan paced back and forth as his hands began to shake.

"Conan I have checked the whole base for anything out of the ordinary." Dr. Agasa said.

"Find anything."

"Maybe, there is a genitor on this list." Dr. Agasa began.

"Mr. Logan?" Conan asked.

"Yes, he doesn't have a criminal but."

"But what?" Conan asked.

"There really is no background at all, other than that everyone else is clean." Dr. Agasa said.

Ai tried to call Ayumi as well but got no reply. Conan began to walk in circles.

"You think he might be going under a fake name?" Conan asked.

"It's possible."

He continued to pace as he thought about all his encounters with genitor Logan.

"When I talked to him last he did seem a little uneasy about meeting with....no..why didn't I see it earlier." Conan said.

"What are you talking about?" Ai asked.

"When I told Mr. Logan Kogoro wanted to meet with him up at the station, let's just say he wasn't to thrilled. He made a phone call just as we parted ways."

"What do you think he called about?" Ai asked.

Conan sat there for a second as tears came to his eyes yet again.

"What's wrong?" Ai asked as she walked up to him.

"I....I'm the one who got Mouri Kogoro killed."

"Nonsense Conan." Dr. Agasa said stepping up from his chair.

"Think about it, I told him Kogoro wanted to see him. Genitor Logan must have thought Kogoro was coming onto him."

The room fell silent. The phone began to ring a few seconds later as Dr. Agasa answered it. He talked for a second or so as he placed the phone to the side.

"It's Mrs. Kisaki."

"She must of known I'd head over here."

"What did she say?" Ai asked.

"Conan you said Ayumi went to a Salekea's house right?"

"Yea."

"The police just went to her registered residents, it doesn't exist."

"Have them check Mr. Logan's." Conan said.

He zoomed into the girl in the survaliance video as he got a clear shot of her face.

"That should do it, let's see if this girl goes to school." Tim thought to himself as his computer went to work.

Within a minute a match was found as he looked up at the screen.

"Salekea Valdina, so thats her. Interesting, she goes to Teitan elementary." Tim said.

He sat up in his chair as he sorted a few things out in his head.

"If this guy is having her help with his work I'm sure he'd want to keep a close eye on her. That must mean he works at the school, let me see if anyone who works at there owns a Ford Econoline."

A couple seconds go by as a profile pops up.

"Suzak Logan, he's a genitor, he's also got a GPS system." Tim said.

He looked the profile over as he rubbed his chin.

"This guy has little to no real history. Let me see what happens if I tag his picture into the criminal filter list."

He waited a couple minutes as another profile popped up.

"Bingo, Suzak Valdina...wow this guy has a track record, attempted murder, sexual harassment, couple burglaries. What do we have here, so........ he's the grand father of Ms. Salekea." Tim said as he looked on.

They sat around, not sure what to do next. Conan on the other hand paced back and forth.

"Come on, think."

The phone rang once more as Dr. Agasa once again answered it. A few seconds later he placed the phone back on the hook.

"They checked his registered home as well, nothing."

"Ayumi....I'm sorry." Conan said to himself as he slouched to the ground.

He stood at the screen as he continued to tap his fingers against the desk.

"Hmm, maybe I can hack into his GPS system, this could give me an idea on where he is keeping them."

After about five minutes he hacked into his system as he looked over all the areas on the map. One jumped out at him, a secluded place right outside of town.

"Looks like I have a location, hang on girls I'm on my way." Tim thought to himself as he slid his cowl over his head.

It was cold, very cold at that. She slowly began to move, her body ached all over. The ground was hard and rough. Her eyes slowly opened  as she stood to her feet. The room was dark, so it prevented her from seeing anything. She walked forward as she bumped into something hard and cold. She fell to the ground as she started crying. Within seconds lights were switched on
, lighting up the room. She began to cry even more as she found she was in a cage. A man came into view a couple seconds later.

"Mr. Logan?!"

"Hello Ms. Yoshida ."

"Help me!" Ayumi cried out.

Suzak's head flew back as he laughed out. It wasn't until then Ayumi realized that he was the one who had abducted her.

"You really should let me go, Conan will be here any minute."

"Conan?"

"He's one of the best detectives you'll ever see."

"Maybe so, but I can almost guarantee he won't find this place."

"What did you do to all the other girls?" Ayumi asked.

Suzak Valdina walked around the room as he pulled sheets off of the tops of other small cages to reveal nine more young girls. All the cells were widely spread out.

"I suggest you all behave and keep quite, you will be going to your new homes soon."

"What does he mean?" Ayumi thought to herself.

Suzak left the room as a couple of the other girls began to start crying.

"I wonder if Conan is on his way yet." Ayumi thought to herself as her eyes watered up.

A couple minutes went by as many voices can be heard in the room directly next to theirs. The voices got louder and louder. The door flung open once more as about twelve other men along with Suzak entered.

"And here they are gentlemen, where shall we start?"

"Let's start there, and make our way around." One of the men said pointing to one of the cages.

Ayumi went into the corner of her cell as she silently started crying.

"Pssst, hey." Someone whispered.

Ayumi turned to see Salekea at the side of her cell.

"Salekea?"

"Shhhh...I'm sorry about all of this. I'm going to get you out of here." Salekea said as she held up a key.

"Thank you." Ayumi whispered.

Salekea went to the front of the cell as she slowly unlocked the cage looking toward the others to make sure no one was looking. Ayumi came out of the cell as she hugged her.

"Come with me."

"No I can't, you must go now."

"Hey what's going on over there!!!" One of the men yelled out.

"Run!!!" Salekea yelled.

Ayumi ran as she tripped over her leg falling to the ground. She quickly got back up as she continued to run. Ayumi looked back to see she had dropped her necklace, there was no time for that though. A couple of the men were gaining on her as she turned the corner and ran up a fleet of stairs.

"Enough, let her go." Suzak said.

"Why?" One of them said as they stopped in their tracks.

"She went upstairs, there's no exit up there. We'll deal with her later." Suzak said.

"Very well." One said.

Suzak walked over as he grabbed Salekea by her shirt pinning her up against the wall.

"Try something like that again little girl and I'll mess your face up so good makeup won't even cover it up."

He then placed her back on the ground.

"I say we get straight to the bidding." Another suggested.

"Very well, lets get started shall we." Suzak said as they headed over to the center of the room.

He handed everyone a card as he pulled out a roll of dice.

"Alright, this dice will determine the bidding order." Suzak explained.

They all nodded. Everyone took a turn at rolling the dice two times. This process took a couple minutes to be completed.

"Now that we have that out of the way, when putting in a bid to become the highest bidder just use the phrase 'I can.' Is that clear."

Everyone nodded.

"Alright then, lets get started shall we." Suzak said as the lights began to blink.

"What's up with the lights?"

"I'm not sure." Suzak said as the lights completely shut off.

"Damn lights." One complained.

"Suzak you got emergency lights in here?"

"Hold on a second, I'll get to them momentarily."

He made his way through the dark as he heard a body fall. The next second one of the men screamed out.

"What's going on!" Suzak yelled out.

Suzak made his way over to the wall as he heard tons of commotion going on in the dark. He felt his way by the wall as he reached for a lever pushing upward. The lights flashed back on as he turned back around to see all of the men knocked out.

"What the hell." He said as he reached for his gun.

As he pulled his gun out it is knocked from his hand by a flying object. Suzak turns into that direction to see nothing as he is grabbed from behind and thrown up against the wall. Before Suzak can react a figure lugged at him pinning him up against the wall by his shirt.

"Who...who are you?" Suzak asked looking down.

"Someone you rubbed the wrong way." He said as he tossed him across the room.

Salekea quickly hid behind a few barrels looking on.

"Ha haah, you some kind of vigilante hooded man?"

"It's Red Robin."

"A bird, that's a new one." Suzak said as he pulled out another gun from his back pocket.

Red Robin leaped forward knocking the gun from his hand. Suzak pulled a knife from his jacket as he took a swing. Red Robin caught him by his wrist as he twisted. Suzak fell to a knew favoring his dislocated wrist.

"I must know how long have you been at this, because so far I’m not impressed." Red Robin said.

Suzak sat there for a second as he thought about it.

"Oh boy, I've been in this business for a long time my friend. You might of busted this one operation, but I have a facility right outside of Osaka. That's where the big boys come to play."

"Is that what all this is about, child trafficking?"

"It pays good if you have the connections, but you could never begin to understand the big picture." Suzak said.

"That's already beyond me, but what kind of sick man uses his own grand daughter to help enslave others?"

"It's all part of the game Red."

"So was killing Kogoro Mouri part of your plan?" Red Robin asked.

"Damn straight, he started getting suspicious. As I said it's all part of the game."

"More like game over, your going to be sitting in a nice cold cell." Red Robin informed as a smirk came to his face.

"Really now, I don't see any police or witnesses around to convict me. I mean who would believe someone like you?" Suzak asked.

"This was already over before he even knew it."

Red Robin reached from behind as he pulled out a walkie talkie.

"That's where you are wrong, as soon as I began to ask you questions I not only recorded you, but also let a friend listen in." Red Robin said as he held the device into the air.

"It's over Suzak, we have you on tape!" A voice from the walkie talkie yelled.

"It can't be, I.....I killed you!"

"No Suzak, your bomb attempt failed. Detective Kogoro doesn’t go down that easily." Kogoro laughed from the other line.

Red Robin shut off the walkie talkie as he stuck it to his belt.

"The police are already on their way." Red Robin said.

"So they let vigilantes run the show now?"

"Wrong again, we never met in person. To them I'm just an anonymous caller, they have no idea who I really am." Red Robin replied.   

“Clever move, you had him fake his death. So you going to let that bogus detective take all the credit?”

“I don’t see why not, whatever keeps me in the shadows.” Red Robin replied.

"I will not go to prison!!!"

"Big words, when we have you admitting to everything." Red Robin said.

"Ha haaaha hahha, you're missing the point Red." Suzak said as he pulled a device from his pocket and clicked down on it.

Red Robin looked over at him as Suzak began to laugh.

"What did you just do?" Red Robin asked.

"We have one minute before this place explodes."

Red Robin darted over toward the cages while pulling out his staff. He quickly knocked the locks off of each one as they all latched onto his legs. Salekea made her way over as well.

“I’m sorry, he made me do it.”

“Every thing is going to be ok you here?”

“Ok.” Salekea replied.  

"Lead these girls out of here Salekea, the police will be out there to take care of you." Red Robin said as she nodded.

It took a few seconds but he was able to get them all from holding onto him. As they ran off Red Robin noticed a necklace on the ground as he picked it up.

"....Ayumi."

"She's upstairs." Salekea yelled back noticing Red Robin had found the necklace.

He drops the necklace into his utility as he stands back to his feet. A couple gun shot's go off as Red Robin turns to see that Suzak shot all the unconscious men in the head.

"Couldn't have them living, not after tonight. Any one of them could have ratted out our other sites." Suzak said

"You really are sick." Red Robin said.

"What can I say, it runs in the family."

"Doesn't matter you're coming with me." Red Robin stated.

"Is that so, you've got less than a minute. It's me...... or the girl."

They stood there as they stared each other down for a couple seconds. Red Robin clenched his fists as he darted toward the stairwell. As he ran he heard a gun shot go off.

"Didn't know he was going to commit suicide, should have disarmed him all together."

He continued to run up the stairs as he entered a large hall way. There were multiple doors as he began to call out.

"Little girl where are you, I'm here to save you!!!"

He got no reply.

"Great, she must think I'm one of the guy's who wants to hurt her."

He quickly made his way down the hall going from door to door, knowing time was running out. As he passed by one of the rooms he heard a slight yelp coming from the room across from him. He walked over as he tried to turn the nob. It was locked.

"Got her!"

With that Red Robin kicked down the door to enter a large empty room. There sitting in a dark corner hiding behind her legs was Ayumi. Tim smiled as he quickly made his way over. She cried out when he came within a few feet of her.

"Please stay back!"

"We have to go, this place is about to explode." Red Robin said.

She didn't reply.

"I'm here to help you."

"I think your lying." Ayumi said as she started crying again.

Red Robin took to a knee as a smile came to his face.

"Don't worry I wont hurt you."

"Who are you?!"

"I'm ..Red Robin." He calmly replied.

"How do I know if you're telling the truth?" Ayumi asked while wiping her tears.

"Just.........trust me." He said holding out his hand.

Ayumi looked up at him as she stopped crying. A few moments went by as she leaped into his arms. He placed her onto his back as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"We don't have time to back track, I'll have to make an exit."

With that he reached into his utility belt as he tossed an explosive at the wall blasting it open.

"Hold on." Red Robin informed as he ran forward and glided into the air.

The building exploded not to long after. They landed on the top of a hill to the side of the building. Red Robin looked down to see all of the other children along with the police. He grabbed Ayumi from his back as he placed her to the ground.

"You’re safe now, just head down to the police and they'll get you home." He said looking down at her.

She began to walk, then stopped.

“What’s wrong?”

Ayumi turned back around as she smiled up at him.

"Thank you.....Red Robin"

He smiled at this.

"Anytime kid, now head down to the police. I'll watch from here and make sure you make it down ok."

Ayumi nodded as she slowly made her way down, and headed over toward the officers.

"There she is!!" One of the officers yelled relieved to see she made it out in one piece.

Kogoro walked over as he wrapped a small blanket around Ayumi to keep her warm from the cool air.

"How did you make it out?" Kogoro asked.

Ayumi turned back to the hill to see Red Robin was gone.

"I found another exit through a chimney." She replied.

"As long as you're ok. This case being solved is going to put me over the top." Kogoro said as he looked toward the night sky, with the moon gazing on.

To Be Continued



Converting /tmp/phpOH1YiI to /dev/stdout