Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Evolving Turmoil ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Detective Prince
Chapter 11
Evolving Turmoil

The moon laid in the night sky, shedding it's light upon the surface. Only the sound of static could be heard, an endless buzzing. He tried once more, knowing he would get the same results. Conan walked out to the balcony, staring into the night sky.

"Tim Drake....
where are you."

He slowly felt himself drifting away, the weight overcoming him.

"Got to get free, can feel the pressure building from
me descending...feels like my head's going to implode."

He began moving his arms up and down, his gauntlets slicing through the rope.

"Holding my breath is the least of my worries, got to get free...hopefully have enough energy to swim back up."

Within the next second he cut free as he pushed away from the rope and pole. Using his left arm Red Robin reached over as he quickly began to pick the lock on the cuffs.

"Gotta hurry, not much time." Tim thought to himself as a sharp pain came over his head.

After a couple more feet of sinking he finally relieved the cuffs from his wrist. Before he let the briefcase go he shot his grappling hook around the handle. Red Robin then connected the grappler to his utility belt as he headed back to the surface as the briefcase continued to fall.

"Let's hope my hook is long enough, guess that all depends on how far out Gin brought us."

As he swam upward he found it to become more difficult with each stroke. The heaviness of his armored suit didn’t help. Within the next minute he reached the surface of the water, breathing in large amounts of air at a time.

"I was under there for a little over four minutes, didn't seem quite that long." Red Robin thought to himself.

He turned to the side a few times as he caught sight of land not to far away.

"Bout sixty five, maybe
seventy yards, should be ok."

Tim began swimming toward the city, his arms burning from his eager sensation of reaching land. After covering nearly seventy yards of water he reached up as he pulled himself up using a small latter which went into the water.

"Cool, my grappling hook had the length. Now to reel in that briefcase."

He made  his way back inside as he took a seat infront of the laptop. Conan flipped the screen on, checking the last signal to appear on the screen.

"That's his last known location, I wonder why he's not replying to my calls." Conan said.

Conan sat in silence for the next few seconds. He then looked toward the screen once more.

"I know he made it clear he wanted me to stay put, but he may need my help." Conan said as he jumped down from the chair.

Conan walked over as he slid on his enhanced shoes and tossed on his tracking glasses.

"Hang on, I'm on my way Robin." Conan said.

At that moment Conan heard something climb up the railing near the balcony as Red Robin hopped down.

"Who's Robin, you meet a hot date or something?" Tim asked.

Conan looked over at him, tilting his head to the side. Water flowed down from his his eyes, mouth, and whole suit.

"So...what exactly happened to you, Red Robin?" Conan asked half wanting to laugh.

"Long story, they got away..for now." Tim replied as he made his way in.

As he headed toward the bed he fell forward, the briefcase falling from his hand. Conan raced to his side, helping him to his back. Tim slowly sat up, pushing him away.

"I'll be ok, just a little exhausted is all."

"Looks like a little more than that." Conan said.

"Ok so I took a couple shots, no big deal." Tim said getting to his feet.

Conan looked on as Tim slowly made his way to the closet. He had never seen him weak like  this, it was almost freighting. He removed his suit as he placed it into a metal box, locking it. Tim then tossed on a pair of slacks and night shirt as he took a seat infront of the computer.

"What in the heck is in this briefcase?" Conan asked feeling how heavy it was.

"Cement."

"Why would you bring something like that back?" Conan asked.

"A small hunch, I'm thinking the murder weapon might be inside." Tim replied.

"Hmm, clever move on their part. If that's the case, how do you plan on getting to the evidence?" Conan asked.

"With this." Tim said holding out a pen.

His eyes narrowed as he walked over. Tim handed the pen to Conan who gave it a quick look.

"What's so special about this?" Conan asked.

"It's a laser pen."

"Nice, I've always wanted something like this." Conan said tossing the pen back to him.

Tim closed his laptop while reaching down and placing the briefcase onto the table.

"Before I forget I would like to thank you for all you've done, without your help I would have died tonight." Tim said.

"How?"

"Gin slipped that poison to me, thanks to the antidote I'll live to fight another day."

"Glad I was able to help." Conan said.

"Now you can help yourself, by getting some sleep." Tim said.

Conan looked to the desk. The clock read 1:58 A.M.

"What about you?" Conan asked.

"Time and persuasion, I'm going to see if I can burn myself to the possible murder weapon. Rest awaits you on the other hand." Tim said with a smile.

Conan nodded. He went over as he placed on his night clothes. He then took to the bathroom as he brushed his teeth. Conan walked back out to see Tim already at work.

"Hey Tim, you ever get scared?" Conan asked.

"Fear is a part of the job, manifesting that fear to the point it works for you, thats where it counts." Tim replied as he began melting the hinges off of the briefcase.

Tim stood up as he walked over turning off the light, switching on a mini one in its place. Conan made his way to the bed, rolling under the sheets. He slowly faded out, Tims words clear on his mind. Hours went by. The sun light cracked through the curtain, touching down upon his shoulder. He shifted his attention toward the clock.

“Less than an hour until school.”

He stood from the chair as he walked over, shaking Conan from side to side.

“No honey.....you be the cop this time.” Conan said still half asleep.

“Do I even want to know.” Tim thought to himself.

He continued to shake him as Conan’s eyes slid open. Conan sat up rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

“Time to get up kid, we got school in about forty five minutes.” Tim said heading over to the closet.

“Did you even get any sleep?” Conan asked.

“Nope, didn’t have time to.” He replied.

The two of them got dressed for school, tossing their bags over their shoulders. They headed down the hall as they approached the elevator.

“Odds are you fall asleep in class today.” Conan stated.

“Doubt it.”

“I’ll give you thirty minutes before you’re out.” Conan said as the elevator opened.

“I never sleep in class.” Tim said as they stepped into the elevator.

Within the next few seconds they exited into the lobby making their way to the front doors. They walked down the sidewalk, joking back and forth as the two came to a stop.

“Guess this is where we part ways.” Tim said.

“I’ll catch up with you later.” Conan stated.

With that the two headed in different directions. He began humming something as he walked on. His hands rested in his pocket as he approached the school. Conan turned to his side as someone playfully bumped into the side of him.

“What are you doing here, I thought you would be, well...Shinichi.” Ai said.

“Not yet, I’m going to save it for tonight.”

“By that time she might of made up her mind.” Ai playfully said.

“Huh, right.” Conan exclaimed.

The two of them headed to class. Conan took a seat as he pulled out his pencil. Ms. Kobayashi walked around as she gave everyone a packet to everyone.

“Almost forgot we had a test today.”

He placed his name in the top corner as he went to work.
He pushed past many who crowded the halls as his classroom came into view. As he walked in he felt someone tug at his bag. He turned to see Sonoko standing at the side of the door.

“Hey.”

He was a little surprised to see it was her.

“Tim, do you think we can talk?” Sonoko asked.

“Sure...when do you want to talk?”

“How about after school?”

“I guess that can work, see you then.” Tim replied as they both headed into the class.

Tim took a seat, pulling out an empty sheet of paper to begin the warm up. Fifteen minutes in he found it hard to keep his head up. Another five passed by as he felt the urge to close his eyes.

“Conan might have been right.” Tim thought to himself as he rested his chin on top of his arms.

He finished all five pages of the test as he walked up and placed it into the trey. Conan took back to his seat, tapping his fingers upon the desk to help pass time. Within the next thirty minutes everyone finished with the test. They watched a movie for the remainder of the day.
The final bell rung. Conan walked down the hall with Genta at his side.

“You think Ms. Kobayashi has a new case for us?” Genta asked.

“Maybe.”

“You up for it today?”

“I think I’ll have to pass, I really need to get home.” Conan replied.

“Ok then, I’ll let the others know.”

Conan made his way out of the school, heading home.

“I hope Ran was ok with me leaving last night.”
Conan thought to himself.

Tim stashed a couple books into his bag while walking down the hall. He looked from side to side. Tim came to a stop shortly after as he saw her leaned over, placing a couple things into her locker. He walked up behind her as he waited. Sonoko finished putting her things away in the next few seconds. When she turned to walk she bumped into Tim
as she jumped back a little.

“So...you wanted to talk.”

“Yea, glad you could make it.” Sonoko said leaning up against her locker.

They stood there for a few seconds, neither saying a word. Sonoko looked to the ground while crossing her legs.

“I have some things I need to attend to, so what is it you wanted to speak to me about?” Tim asked.

Sonoko lifted her head back up, looking toward him once more. She opened her mouth to talk, then hesitated. Tim reached over placing a hand on her shoulder.

“It’s ok you can talk to me, is someone giving you trouble?” Tim asked.

At that second Tim felt his hand knocked away as Ran stepped inbetween the two of them.

“So you couldn’t get me to sleep with you, trying for my best friend now?!” Ran asked.

“We were just having a private discussion Ran.” Tim replied.

“So... that’s why you had your hand on her?” Ran said taking a step forward while clenching up her fist.

Tim took a step back.

“Tell her Sonoko.” He said looking to her.

Sonoko just turned her head to the side. Ran reached forward grabbing his tie, pulling him within inches of herself.

“If you harass either of us again I’ll see to it that you.” Ran began as Tim grabbed her hand, removing it from his tie.

“You have my word I won’t engage either of you again Ms. Mouri, now if you will I have somewhere I need to be.” Tim said releasing her hand.

He walked down the hall as Ran made her way back over to Sonoko.

“You ok?” Ran asked.

“Yea, I’m fine.” Sonoko replied.

“Good, if he bugs you again just let me know.” Ran said as the two them headed for the exit.

Sonoko nodded. The two of them headed toward the exit shortly after.

“Nice going Sonoko.” She thought to herself.

Conan pushed the front door open to see Kogoro slide on his shoes and jacket. Conan walked into his room as he tossed his bag to the ground.

“Where are you going?” Conan asked.

“They’ve got a couple bodies, going down to check it out.” Kogoro informed.

“Can I come with?” Conan asked.

Kogoro reached for the knob as he looked over to him.

“We have to head out now, that is if you really want to come.”

Conan nodded as he followed him out the front door. They caught a taxi just up the street as they drove on. The ride only lasted for about ten minutes. They came to a stop infront of a small store as they stepped out. Many police officers surrounded the area. Inspector Megure walked up to the two of them a few seconds later.

“Hello Inspector, what do we have this time?” Kogoro asked.

“It’s not pretty, right this way.” Inspector Megure directed.

Conan followed as they made their way into an alley nearby. As they walked a strong odor drifted through the air, that of death. Inspector Megure came to a stop as he pointed inbetween a couple trash bins. Conan looked over to see a dead man and woman laying side by side.

“How long ago were the bodies found?” Kogoro asked.

“They were just discovered about an hour ago.” Miwako Sato answered.

“You think this is where they were killed?” Kogoro asked yet another question.

“Defiantly not, they’ve been dead for nearly a day.” Miwako said.

“Someone must have dropped their bodies here.” Inspector Megure said.

Conan took a few steps forward observing both bodies. He looked over as he examined their wrists. They both had rope burns.

“What’s that?” Conan thought to himself noticing a small fragment of a grey substance under the woman’s finger nail
.

He kept that in mind. Conan then directed his attention to their lower bodies. The man had shoes on but the woman didn’t. He looked at the bottom of her feet to see they were bruised and cut up. Conan then directed his attention to her ankles to see they were a little swollen. Conan then looked to the man.

“Those shoes look new.”

The bottom of the shoes on the other hand were beat down.

They were running from something......but what?”

Conan noticed a couple cut marks going up the woman’s leg.

“I wonder how far up that goes?” Conan thought to himself.

Conan reached forward as he grabbed the end of her skirt holding it up. He became wide eyed to see she had no under garments on. He felt himself yanked  by his shirt.

“What are you doing down there, trying to get a cheap look?!” Kogoro exclaimed.

“She has no underwear.” Conan stated.

“Is that so?” Inspector Megure asked.

Conan nodded.

“This must be the same killer who has been abducting the couples.” Inspector Megure said.

“What makes you think that?” Kogoro asked.

“All the women in those cases had no underwear when they were discovered.” Inspector Megure informed.

“Not only are we dealing with a killer, but also a creeper. Conan take a step back, I want to examine the bodies myself.” Kogoro said.

He stuck his key into the door, pushing it open. Tim walked to the bed, taking off his bag, tie, jacket, and shoes. He then fell upon his back,letting his eyes fall shut.

“Got to finish burning through the cement, so tired.”

After about an hour at the crime scene they arrived back at the house. They entered to the smell of dinner being made.

“Something smells good.” Kogoro commented slipping out of his shoes.

Ran looked back at the two of them, a smile coming to her face.

“Where have you two been?”

“Just another investigation, we’ll see where it leads in the next few days or so.” Kogoro replied as he walked down the hall.

Ran walked away from the stove a few seconds later, letting everything simmer for a little.

“So Conan how did your little sleep over with Heiji go?” Ran asked.

“Just a lot of working, nothing special.” Conan replied.

“You’re welcomed to spend the night with him again.” Ran said

“You really mean it?” Conan asked.

“Why not, there’s no school tommarrow.”

“Wow, can’t believe she’s so cool with all this.”  

She shared out their dinner shortly after. Conan sat at the table. He finished eating in the next five minutes as Ran walked up behind him.

“Would you like seconds?” Ran asked.

“I think I’ll be ok.” Conan said.

“Are you sure?” Ran asked massaging his shoulders

“I’ll be fine.” Conan managed to get out.

Ran walked back to the kitchen as Conan headed for his room.

“I wonder why she’s being so nice
, must have had a good day at school.” Conan thought to himself.

Conan packed a few gadgets along with the things he would need for the night. He made his way back in the main room as Ran stood by the front door, holding it open for him.

“See you tommarrow.” Ran waved as he walked down the stairs.

Conan waved back. He made his way to the apartment as quickly as he could. He knocked twice, but got no response. Conan then knocked for a third time and got the same results. He listened on, he could hear something on the other side of the door. He reached for the door knob twisting it. Conan looked over to see Tim still melting up the cement.

“Why didn’t you answer the door?” Conan asked.

“Sorry about that, the laser pen must have distorted out all background sounds.” Tim replied as Conan shut the door.

“Are you almost finished with that?” Conan asked walking over.

“I’d say about another hour.” Tim said as Conan continued past him.

He slid the glass door open, looking up at the sky.

“You’re sure no one knows we’re hanging?”

“I’m positive.” Conan replied still looking to the sky.

“I’d hate to see what your girlfriend would do if she found out.” Tim said.

Conan turned back around, looking to him.

“She’s not my......uhhh.”

Conan turned back around, walking over and placing his hands upon the railing. He stood there for a little, thinking about the two bodies he had seen.

“Didn’t really get to examine those bodies as much as I wanted to.”

Conan stood there awhile longer. He looked to his watch after awhile of standing to see an hour had gone by. Though it felt like under fifteen minutes. Tim whistled out as Conan turned his head.

“What is it?” Conan asked.

Conan looked over to see Tim holding a blade in his hand.

“Was that in the cement?” Conan asked.

“Yep, it’s a USMC issue KA-Bar. Good choice of weapon in close combat.” Tim said placing it to the side of the table.

“You think that’s the murder weapon?”

“It’s possible, I’ll need to further examine it.” Tim said as he grabbed the knife placing it into a plastic bag.

He walked over placing the blade in the closet.

“Hey Tim, I have a little more information on the double abductions.”

“What did you find?” He asked taking a seat while removing his gloves.

“New bodies were found today, I had the luxury of getting a view.”

“And?”

“Both bodies showed sign of exhaust, especially their feet.”

“What could that mean?” Tim questioned.

“I’m thinking they were running from something. But the amount of damage would imply they were running for quite some time.” Conan informed.

Tim sat back in the chair, resting his chin upon his left hand.

“I also saw something grey stuck to the bottom of the woman’s finger nails.”

“Great, and we can’t even find out what without the body.” Tim said.

“He also took the underwear of the woman.” Conan added.

“Does that include all three cases?” Tim asked.

Conan nodded.

“That’s strange, does he take anything from the males?” Tim thought to himself.

“I guess we’ve come to somewhat of a road block.” Conan said.

“No doubt.” Tim said.

The room fell quite for the next few seconds. Conan snapped his fingers.

“I got it!”

“What?” Tim questioned.

“While we think up a plan, you can further my training on those bird disks.” Conan answered.

Tim narrowed his eyes while standing to his feet.

“Wow Conan, I thought you made a break in the case or something.” Tim said as he headed for the front door.

“Where are you going?”

“To the base ofcourse, you wanted to train right?”

Conan followed after him. Tim reached over, grabbing the metal box which contained his damage suit. They made it into the woods as Tim headed into the shed, brining out a couple bird disks. They spent most of the evening going through several drills. The case of the doubles still lurking in the back of their minds. Night rolled around as they headed back to the apartment.

“How’s your wrist feel?” Tim asked as they stepped in.

“Not bad as the first time.” Conan replied.

“You’re getting better, but I wouldn’t advice you to use them in combat just yet.” Tim said with a slight smile.

Tim headed into the bathroom as Conan took a seat, switching on the TV. Tim came out shortly after, all suited up.

“You going on patrol?” Conan asked.

“You’re my company, I don’t plan on leaving you here all night.” He replied.

“Then where are you going?” Conan asked.

“Just a little something I need to do, I’ll be back shortly.” Tim assured placing the cowl over his head.

Conan watched on as he glided from the balcony.

“I gotta try that some day.” Conan thought to himself.

Conan turned back, heading into the room once more. He flipped through the channels, struggling to find anything of interest. About thirty minutes went by as Red Robin swung back up over the railing. He walked in to see Conan’s eyes glued to the TV. He turned to see what it was.

“Must be some soup opera.” Tim thought to himself as he walked past.

“So where did you go?” Conan asked stepping down from the bed.

“I placed a bunch of motion censors on the rooftops, they’ll inform me of any ongoing activity.” Tim replied heading to the bathroom.

“What for?”

“Just incase my good friend Kaitou Kid comes by.” He replied.

“You really do keep busy don’t you?”

“Sure do, it’s part of the fun.”

Tim finished undressing shortly after. They watched a low budget alien movie before calling it a night. Conan laid down as Tim rested on the other end of the bed. They both looked to the ceiling.

“I see you got extra pillows.” Conan said.

“I had an idea you might come back, didn’t think it would be this soon.”

“You think we’ll catch this guy before he strikes again?” Conan questioned.

“I hope so.” Tim replied.

They laid in silence for the next few moments.

“Hey Conan, what do you think Ran would do if she saw us laying here?” Tim asked keeping conversation.

Conan thought about his question for a few seconds.

“I’m guessing she’d probably try and give you a beat down, then have you thrown in jail listed as a child predator.” Conan replied as they both laughed.

Conan sat up as he looked toward him.

“Tim, what’s your family like?” Conan asked.

“What do you mean?”

“Do you get along with everyone, Dick Grayson for example?”

“He’s like my big brother, you’d love him. He’s a peoples person, more so even than myself.” Tim said.

“What about Bruce?”

“That’s a completely different ball park, he takes time to get to know. Alfred’s the one who keeps everything together.” Tim said.

“Alfred?”

“He’s basically the mother of the house, he makes sure we all have what we need.” Tim replied with humor in his voice.

“It would be cool to meet them someday.”

“Perhaps we can make that happen down the line.” Tim said.

“Cool.” Conan said laying back down.

He closed his eyes, slowly drifting off into deep sleep. The sound of the city paving around them. The echoing of someone running up the hall can be heard. Silence followed after. Tim poked his head up from the pillow as he looked to the clock a couple feet away. He pushed up, still feeling the soreness of his rib. Tim opened the blinds, allowing the suns light to shine in. Conan awoke a few seconds later.  

“Bet it felt good to get some sleep.” Conan said jumping out of bed.

“You could say that.” Tim said pouring himself a glass of orange juice.

Conan walked over as he quickly got dressed.

“Where are you going in such a hurry?” Tim asked taking a sip.

“If Kogoro is called in for another case related to the doubles, I want to be sure to go with him.”

“Good call.” Tim said.

“I’ll keep you posted if I find anything.” Conan said as he fully dressed.

He tossed his bag to his shoulder as he headed out. Tim took a seat at the desk, falling into thought.

“I need to find a way to examine some of those bodies.”
Tim thought to himself taking another sip.

He slightly spun the cup, letting the juice circulate around.

“If only I had an inside guy
, Shinichi can only do so much in his state. Can’t go to Kogoro, that would cause to much friction.”

Tim finished the cup of juice, placing the glass to the side.

“I need someone I can trust to not only work with Tim Drake, but Red Robin as well. Who could I possibly go to?”

Conan made his way home.

As he reached for the front door it opened. Ran stood there with a friendly smile on her face.

“Good morning Conan, you’re just in time for breakfast.”

“I knew something smelled good.” Conan said as he stepped in.

He walked over to the couch, tossing his bag upon it.

“So where were you last night?” Ran asked.

“With Heiji ofcourse.” Conan replied.

“You sure that’s your answer?” Ran asked.

Conan shook his head up and down.

“If we were hanging together last night, I’ll be the first to say I had no knowledge of that.” A voice said from behind.

Conan’s eyes sprung wide open. He recognized that voice all to well. He turned to see Heiji Hattori standing before him.

“I’m going to ask you once more Conan Edogawa, where have you been hanging for the past three days?” Ran asked.

“..Busted.”

To Be Continued


Converting /tmp/phpyy1d9i to /dev/stdout