Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ The Motive ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Detective Prince
Chapter 13
The Motive

His head rested upon the pillow, the weight of the blanket lingering around him. He awoke to the sound of two speeding cars driving down the block.

"Hopefully he obtained some useful information that can help with the case."

He dropped to the ground, walking over dressing into his clothes. The TV switched on in the other room. Conan placed his glasses on as he made his way to the front room. He looked over to see Ran sitting at the couch. He walked over joining her.

“Morning.” Conan softly spoke.

“Good morning.” She replied looking down to him.

“What time did you come in last night?”

“About eleven, I was with mom.” Ran said.

Conan directed his attention to the TV, checking to see if there was an update on the case.

“Sorry for making you mad.” Conan apologized still focused on the screen.

“I’m not really upset, just wondering why you didn’t tell me.”

“Well if you should know, we’ve been working on something.”

“What do you mean?”

“Can’t tell you, it’s a surprise.” Conan cockily answered while placing his hands behind his head.

“Is that so?” Ran said with anger building in her voice while moving closer to him.

Conan looked to her as she closed in. A smile sprung to his face while he waved his hands back and forth.

“Wait, the surprise is for you.” Conan blurted.

The anger dropped from her face, replaced by a welcoming smile.

“Oh...why didn’t you just say so?” She asked moving back.

“Does the word ‘surprise’ ring to mind?” Conan asked.

“Are you getting smart with me?” Ran asked narrowing her eyes.

“Ofcourse not, just implying it’s a surprise...which means I wasn’t supposed to tell you.” Conan said with a laugh.

“I guess I was wrong in questioning you. I have an idea.”

“What?” Conan asked.

“We’ll just pretend we never had this conversation.” Ran said.

“Sure, I guess that works.” Conan said as he directed his attention back to the TV.

Neither said another word on the matter, keeping their attention on the screen.

“Nice going Shinichi, now I have to come up with some surprise which probably includes some more lying to Agasa and Haibara.”

He looked through the scope, looking down at the samples he had collected.

“Based from their blood, I’d say they were all in pretty good health.”

Tim walked over taking a seat. He sat back as the computer ran multiple tests on the samples he collected from the lungs. His eyes flickered from time to
time from the lack of sleep the previous night. The computer let out a mini siren sound knocking his attention forward.

“What do we have here, CK and ED.....I should call Conan and let him know about this.” Tim thought to himself.

He pulled his phone from his pocket, hitting the speed dial button to contact him.

“Not exactly a good time.” Conan said answering.

“Is there ever a good time when it comes to you?” Tim asked.

“Very funny. So what’s up?”

“When can you make it to the shed, I have some evidence I want to go over with you.” Tim said.

“I’m on my way to Dr. Agasa’s place right now, but I’ll try to be there as soon as I can.” Conan answered.

“Good, because I may need your help finding a location.” Tim said.

“Find a way to keep yourself entertained Tim, I’ll be there soon.”

“I’m counting on it Shinichi, see you in a couple.” Tim said.

The two hung up at the same time. Conan stuck his hands into his pocket as he approached the house. A car drove near the side walk honking out. Conan turned to see Okiya Subaru wave toward him. He waved back as he took off.

“I wonder where he’s headed off to.” Conan thought to himself as he approached the front door.

The door slid open before he could knock. Hiroshi stood there, looking down at him.

“Dr. Agasa....guess you must have been expecting me.”

“I had an idea you would come looking to explain, after Ran’s call this morning.” Dr. Agasa said holding the door open.

Conan accepted the invitation stepping in, the door closing behind the two.

“So Conan, where have your activities landed you for the past couple days?” Dr. Agasa asked.

“What if I said it would be better if I didn’t say....yet.” Conan replied.

“That dosen’t sound good, your not in any trouble are you?”

“Not exactly.” Conan said as Ai walked around the corner.

“Then explain to us exactly what’s going on.” Ai stated.

“I was actually hoping you two could bare with me, it’s really a complex situation.” Conan said.

“Yea, I bet.” Ai remarked.

“In the mean time we need to come up with something, I told Ran we had a surprise for her.” Conan said.

“You’re caught in a ring of lies, did you even use that antidote sample to talk to Ran?” Ai questioned ignoring his plan.

“Ofcourse.”

“You sure about that?” Ai asked crossing her arms.

Conan stood in place, the both of them staring into the others eyes. Dr. Agasa stepped up to the both of them placing a hand on each of their shoulders.

“I’m sure Shinichi has a good reason for not telling us, in the mean time we should come up with a surprise of some kind for Ms. Mouri.” Dr. Agasa said.

Ai turned to the side walking to the kitchen without saying a word. Dr. Agasa sighed.

“I’ll have a talk with her.”

“Thanks Doc, I’ll be back in as soon as I can.” Conan said heading for the front door.

Conan made his way down the block, moving slower than usual. He trotted along, much weighing down on his mind. He reached the hideout about thirty minutes later. Conan pressed down on the remote as the ground slid open.

“It get’s cooler every time.” Conan thought to himself as he jumped into the ground.

The top closed back as he walked through the pitch dark.
The lights impeded into the ground flipped on a second later, lighting his path. He removed his glasses, standing in place. The device to the side of the door scanned his eyes from side to side with the door sliding open.

“Glad you could make it.” Tim said still looking to the computer.

“So what do you have to share with me?” Conan asked stepping in.

He walked over standing to the side of the chair. He looked up, lifting a brow when he saw the elements listed.

“Hydrogen cyanide, Phenyldichloroarsine, and Ethyldichloroarsine?” Conan questioned.

“That’s not all, there were traces of CK and L.” Tim added.

“Cyanogen chloride and Lewisite?” Conan asked.

“I’d say you’re more than just a detective, there were doses of each in all of the victims lungs.” Tim informed.

“Now all we have to figure out is how it got there. Any ideas?” Conan asked.

“I’m working on that, each element together has a whole different affect than when secluded.”

“Very true.”

“Any idea where high doses of these elements might be held?” Tim asked.

“I wish I did, sorry.”

Conan looked on while Tim played around with different scenarios linking the elements together. He stood by watching for the next minute or so, his eyes traveling to the ground. This came to Tim’s attention soon after.

“Everything alright Kudo?” Tim asked.

Conan took a deep breath while raising his head, their eyes meeting.

“Tim....have you ever had to lie to anyone about your, well....” Conan began.

He found himself lost for words as he looked back to the ground. Tim spun in the chair, giving Conan his full attention.

“Lying to my father was probably the hardest thing about the job back when I was Robin.” Tim answered.

“What about now, do you still hide secrets from those you love?” Conan asked looking back up.

Tim nodded.

“Only if it’s to protect them. It really depends on the person.”

“True, I almost forgot about your allies..they’re your family after all.”

“Why do you ask, keeping my identity a secret starting to mount down on you?” Tim asked.

“Ran has been questioning me on my whereabouts, and it’s not just her.”

Tim reached over placing a hand on his shoulder.

“Conan listen, you don’t have to do this, last thing I’d want is to destroy your life.” Tim said.

Conan smiled as he removed Tim’s hand from his shoulder.

“Jumping the gun there a little RR, we have a case to crack.” Conan firmly stated.

“Indeed we do.” Tim said turning back to the computer.

“We better be careful on when we meet, a friend of mind has also become suspicious of my activities.” Conan said leaning up against the computer desk.

“They have a name?” Tim asked while typing.

“Hattori Heiji, he’s a detective just like ourselves.”

A smile came upon Tim’s face.

“Is he good as you are?” Tim asked.

“He’s pretty damn good.”

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

The next second Tim’s phone began to ring. He looked over to see Tim ignoring it. Conan walked over grabbing phone from the desk looking down to see an incoming call.

“Fantasy Girl, who is that?” Conan asked.

Tim looked to him then back to the computer.

“Sonoko Suzuki, I’m pretty sure you know her.” Tim replied.

Conan immediately began laughing, placing the phone back onto the desk. Tim gave him an awkward look.  

“And just when I thought I knew you.” Conan said trying to control his laughter.

“What on earth are you laughing about?” Tim asked.

“Didn’t know Sonoko was your type, let alone your fantasy girl.” Conan said with an evil grin.

“Wait a minute, she was the one who wrote that.” Tim protested.

“From what she told me about you, I doubt that. How often do you think about her anyway?” Conan snickered.

Tim shook his head from side to side directing his attention back to the computer. Conan walked up to his side a few moments later.

“Ok then Tim, who’d you rather date, Sonoko or Ran.”

“You know I’m not going to answer that, right?”

“Come on Tim.” Conan pushed.

“Both have been at my neck recently, I’d have to pass on them both.” Tim said.

Conan began to snicker once more.

“Which one has a better ring to it, Wayne Sonoko or Drake Sonoko?” Conan asked.

Tim ignored him once more. Nearly a minute passed by as a large smirk crawled along Tim’s mouth. Conan looked up noticing this.

“Looks like there’s something humorous on your mind, care to share?” Conan asked.

“Just changing my password.” Tim replied.

Conan stood around, waiting for Tim to find results on the elements found in the lungs of the victims. After fifteen minutes of waiting Conan’s phone began vibrating. He reached into his pocket pulling his phone out.

“Got a text from Heiji.” Conan said.

“What’d he say?” Tim asked.

“He wants to meet up.”

“Then go and see him, I’ll wrap things up here.” Tim said.

“Keep me updated, I’ll be back when I can.” Conan said heading for the exit.

Conan walked out, traveling all the way to his school. He stood up against the wall glimpsing down at his watch. Cars drove along sending leafs flopping into the air. Conan looked down at his watch once more.

“Heiji isn’t one to be late, I wonder what the hold up could be.”

Conan walked over taking a seat at one of the swings. He sat there resting his legs. It didn’t take long for him to find himself swinging back and forth. As he swung someone approached from behind.

“Sorry I’m late, had a couple things I had to attend.”

Conan jumped down from the swing turning to face Heiji.

“Talked with Ran last night.” Heiji said.

“What did you two talk about?” Conan asked.

“You know, the usual.”

“Usual?”

“How she’s been, any recent things in her life.”

“Where are you going with this?” Conan asked.

“She told me about some guy named Tim, seems when he arrived was around the time you started hiding things. You hanging around this guy or something?”

“Ran tell you that?”

“Came up with the time line myself.”

“What makes you think I would be hanging with him, I only saw him the night we showed him around the city.” Conan said.

Heiji turned his cap to the side taking a step forward.

“You sure about that Kudo?”
“Positive.” Conan answered.

Heiji reached from around his back holding out a folded up poster board.

“What’s that?” Conan asked.

Heiji rolled it open showing the contents on it to Conan.

“You recognize this, found it in your room.” Heiji said handing it to him.

Conan looked it over as sweat slid down the right side of his cheek.

“Just like that, he’s already doing what he does best.”

“So you mind telling me who Dick Grayson and Jason Todd are. Oh, and I wouldn’t bother giving me that bit about them being sculptors from the renaissance era like you did Ran.” Heiji said.

It fell silent for seconds to come. Conan lifted his head facing his friend. Conan took a deep breath, releasing just as slow.

“I think you know the answer already.” Conan said.

“I checked up on everything, they’re all a family through Bruce Wayne. I also saw you write something down about a Tim Drake, mind telling me who that is?”

“Surprised you didn’t follow up on that one, it was Tim’s former last name before he was adopted.”

“So Tim was adopted, what happened to his real parents?” Heiji thought to himself.

Heiji took a slight step back, a grin coming to his face as he did.


“You also wrote something down about Batman and Robin, vigilantes from Gotham City. Where do they fit into all of this?” Heiji asked.

He didn’t reply.

“Tell me Kudo, have you been associating yourself with Tim Drake?”

“I had an idea he’d link us together, just not this soon.”

Conan stood there for a couple seconds thinking what to say.

“No, I haven’t.”

“How do I know you’re telling the truth?”

“For starters he tried to get Ran to sleep with him. If you don’t believe me, why don’t you go and ask him yourself.” Conan suggested.

“You know, I think I might just do that.”

Conan looked down taking another deep breath. The two of them standing in place for the next minute or so.

“We still friends?” He asked looking back up.

Heiji smiled at this.

“You wanna to go pay Dr. Mick a visit?”

“Sure thing.” Conan replied.

“Besides lying to Ran...keeping my best friend and ally in the dark is just as discomforting.”

The clouds swayed toward the north revealing a clear sky in it’s travel. Night brought in a cool chill, diving through the city.

“Looks like I may have something.”

He adjusted the scope, comparing the sample to the one listed on the computer.

“Lead, so that’s the substance which was under the nail. Three out of five of the victims I took samples from had lead present under their nails, this might help us pin point a location.”

Tim placed the evidence back into a tube
while making his way back over to the computer. He flipped the screen back on to see the analysis was complete.

“Great, looks like we have an answer to how all that stuff got into their lungs.”

The computer began beeping as a warning sign popped up.

“The roof censors just went off, could it be
... Kid in action.”

Tim walked over swinging the locker door to the side.
He quickly suited up grabbing his grappling hook on his way out.

“Round two.”

Red Robin leaped from building to the next, heading into the direction of where the censors had been tripped off.

“Almost there.”

He jumped once more swinging to the top of a large building.

“Hmm, he’s not here.” Red Robin thought to himself looking from side to side.

He walked to the edge looking to the neighboring buildings. There was no sign of Kaitou Kid anywhere.  

“If Kid was here he couldn’t have gone to far.” He thought to himself as a siren went off a few blocks away.

Red Robin lunged into the air firing out his grappler.

“This ends tonight.”

Red Robin swung by, the force of the air pushing against him. The sirens got louder and louder as he glided on. He came to a stop on top of a light post,
looking to see police crowding around a small jewelery store.

“Looks like they have him surrounded.”

He watched on as something zipped past his
left eye. He turned to see someone jump from one building to another, heading in the opposite direction of the jewelery store.

“Never mind, I guess they don’t have him surrounded.” Red Robin said as he followed after the unknown figure.

He followed after the caped person on the run, making sure he kept enough distance between the two of them. After about a block or so the runner came to a stop. Red Robin stood on the building just above there’s.

“Guess my hunch was right, that’s defiantly Kaitou.” Red Robin said looking down.

Kaitou Kid took to a knee sliding the ribbon to the side which secured the sack shut. He reached in holding one of the diamonds gently in his hand.

“Well aren’t you quite the beauty.” Kaitou Kid commented looking one of them over.

He placed that one into the bag reaching for another as he heard a slight thump from behind. Kid stood to his feet while tieing the sack of diamonds to his belt.

“Haven’t seen you on the streets for a couple nights, trying to lay low?” A voice said from behind.

A sinister grin formed across his face, recognizing the voice of his visitor.

“Your pursuit of me is rather intriguing Redbird.” Kaitou Kid commented facing him.

“Let’s make this easy, hand over the diamonds and place your hands over your head.” Red Robin said.

“I love the way you humor me, but we both know it’s not that simple.”

“Then I’ll just have to take you in by force.” Red Robin said tossing a steel enforced cable toward him.

Kaitou Kid ducked down dodging his attempt.  

“I see your aim is as good as ever.” Kaitou Kid teased while making a run for it.

He brushed his remark to the side following after him. As they jumped to the next building Red Robin grabbed Kaitou by his cape in mid air pulling him to his chest.

“Got you.” He said wrapping an arm around his neck.

As they fell toward the street Red Robin shot his grappler out taking them to the closest building. When they landed Kid quickly slipped from his grip, kicking him in the side.

“Didn’t know he was that flexible.” Tim said running after him once more.

As they continued jumping from building to building Kid reached into his side pocket pulling out a gun. He continued to run as he turned and took aim.

“Nice knowing you Redbird.” Kaitou Kid said pulling the trigger.

Red Robin dodged to the side only to see party treats fly out. Kaitou Kid laughed out as he slid down a pipe taking him to the streets.

“To think, he’s getting enjoyment out of this.” Red Robin said gliding down after him.

They ran down the sidewalk as many looked on. Kid turned to see how close he was.

“Let’s make this interesting.” Kaitou thought to himself.

Kaitou darted across the street jumping over and dodging incoming vehicles. Red Robin did the same staying on his trail.

“That’s right, follow my lead.” Kaitou Kid said as he headed down a fleet of stairs leading to the subway.

The two of them maneuvered around the large crowds making their way to the train station. Kaitou finally came to a stop turning to face him. Red Robin stopped as well, standing just a few feet away from him.

“Everyone out, now!” Red Robin yelled as many ran for the stairs.

He looked from side to side to still see a few spectators. Tim reached down slamming a dust bomb to the ground.

“That’s a warning, leave!” He yelled once more causing the rest to leave.

Kaitou Kid smiled as they stood, nothing but the two of them.

“No where to run Kaitou Kid.”

“You seem a little upbeat Redbird, did I push a nerve?” Kid asked.

“How about we drop the questions and get to the cuffing.” Red Robin said pulling out a pair of hand cuffs.

“How many toys does this guy have?” Kaitou Kid thought to himself.

“Any last tricks before I take you in?” He asked slowly heading toward him.

“Ofcourse, you don’t know how long I’ve been waiting to try this.” Kaitou Kid said.

As Red Robin walked over a purple fog flowed down from the stairwell causing him to turn.

“What in the, is this part of your trick?” Red Robin asked looking to Kaitou.

“Your guess is as good as mine.” Kaitou Kid replied.

Before he could reach for his staff he began coughing out, Kaitou did the same. They both fell to a knee. The air became increasingly dense, causing the both of them to take small breaths. Tim placed a hand to the ground as his eyes began to burn.

“What the hell is this?” Kaitou Kid exclaimed.

They watched on as a figure made it’s way through the fog toward them. The fog began to ascend into the vents not to long after. Within the next few seconds it completely cleared as the two of them looked up to see a young woman with her hands upon her hips. She swung her hair from one side to the other, keeping a straight face the whole time.

“Koizumi Akako....is that you?” Kaitou Kid weakly spoke gaining his vision back.

“You know this chick?” Red Robin asked.

The both of them slowly pushed to their feet.  

“Kaitou Kid, leave....we’ll talk later.” She instructed.

Kaitou Kid made his way to the stairs. Red Robin walked after him only to be pulled by his cape from behind.

“You’re letting him get away.” Red Robin stated.

“That’s the point, I don’t want him being caught.” Akako said.

“I see, you’re just another fan girl.”

“You’re wrong.”

“Am I now, you’re nothing but another distraction which got in my way.” Red Robin said.

“I can make up for that if you want me to, most guys can’t resist me.”

Tim took a step back.

“I can do better any day of the week.” Red Robin said.

Akako reached over wrapping her arms around his neck, blowing a dust of some kind into his face.

“See.... just a little something to get you going.” She said pulling him in closer.

Using what strength he had left he pushed her away.

“You’re crazy, I...I don’t even know you.” He said with a brief laugh.

“But how, I used my magic on you?!” Akako exclaimed.

He turned heading for the stairwell. Akako still in disbelief chose not to pursue him. Using what was left in the tank Tim made it back to the apartment. He removed his suit as he walked over falling into the bed. His phone began to ring. Tim reached over to see an incoming call from Conan. The phone slid from his hands, His eyes closing as he fell into a deep sleep.

The sun shined bright, the birds flapping about. He dialed the number once more but still got no response.

“Come on Tim, why aren’t you answering.”

A voice from afar called out his name. Conan placed his phone back into his pocket as Genta and Ayumi ran up to him.

“Hey Conan, how’d your weekend go?” Genta asked catching his breath.

“Not bad I guess, how about the two of you?” Conan asked.

“I went skating, it was a lot of fun.” Ayumi said.

“My weekend was pretty boring for the most part, any idea what we’re doing in class today?” Genta asked.

“I’m betting we start on a whole new lesson, especially since we had the test at the end of the week.” Conan said.

“We better hurry, less than a minute until class starts.” Ayumi said.

Conan looked down at his watch.

“She’s right, we better hustle on to class.”

He dragged himself along, still feeling light headed from the previous night’s events.
The bell rung the next second.

“Now I’m going to be late to class,
perfect.” Tim thought to himself as he is grabbed by his arm and pulled into the ladies bathroom.

“Sonoko?” Tim questioned as she locked the door.

She grabbed him by his wrist taking him over to where the sink is located. She pushed up onto the counter tossing her bag to the ground.

“Umm...well, we better get to class before we’re late.” Tim adviced.

“Relax Timmy, we already are.” Sonoko said crossing her legs.

To Be Continued
 

Converting /tmp/php0nArxr to /dev/stdout