Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ The Mercury Gem ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Detective Prince
Chapter 19
The Mercury Gem

Security was rather light considering the time of day, especially for a Sunday. Heiji sat at the waiting area while Conan stood near the glass window, watching the planes take off. Tim walked over to the two of them, holding the tickets in his hand.

"Made sure we got seats close to one another," Tim said handing them their tickets. "We all remember what happened last time."

"First class, that works." Heiji said taking the slip into his hand.

"What time does the flight leave?" Conan asked.

"At eight fifty." Tim replied.

Heiji looked down to his watch, confusion expressed across his face.

"That's nearly three hours from now," Heiji stated sitting back in the chair. "Why on earth did we come so quick?"

"Because you two were complaining about the, and I quote, 'unsanitary room'." Tim replied.

"Oh yea, almost forgot about that."

The hours slowly crawled by. Tim and Conan watched the TV overhead while Heiji checked the messages on his phone. He was surprised to see how much his mother had tried to call him, his father even tried calling a few times.

"I better head back to Osaka when we return," Heiji said putting his phone away. "Think you two can handle business without me for a few days?"

"We'll be just fine, Shinichi and I should have more than enough mind power to weather the storm." Tim replied.

"I don't know Drake, he is the dumbest after all." Heiji reminded.

"We're really bringing that up again," Conan said turning from the window. "If anything, you should have the title of dumbest."

"Me," Heiji exclaimed sitting up. "You're the one who sported the pink dress."

"And you're the one who thought it would be a good idea to throw fists with Tim," Conan striked back. "If I hadn't intervened you might be sitting in a hospital somewhere."

Tim stepped in between the two of them with a chuckle.

"Relax guys, just cool it for a little bit," He said looking to the clock. "We only have about an hour until take off."

"Fine." Conan said turning back to the glass.

"Sure." Heiji said sitting back once more.

Tim took a seat as well, the last hour dragging just as the previous two had. They boarded five minutes earlier than expected. The three of them spent the flight listening to music, giving their minds a rest from the tasks at hand. The landing was smooth and crisp.

"Here's my number, call me if you find or need anything." Heiji said handing him a slip of paper as they exited the airport.

"You'll be hearing from me soon." Tim replied placing the piece of paper into his pocket.

Heiji nodded his head, walking into a separate direction. Tim signaled for a cab. It wasn't long after one arrived. He and Conan stepped in, both checking the messages on their phones during the ride through the city. They made it to the apartment. Tim walked in, feeling through the dark, turning the switch up to light the room.

"Not bad for our first team case together," Tim said tossing his bag to the bed. "So far anyway."

Conan looked over to the clock to see it was a little passed ten.

"Almost forgot, we have school tommarrow."

"It's late, you want me to walk you home?" Tim asked.

"That would be nice, gotta get my stuff in line for school."

"Want me to bring along a copy of that photo for Ran?" Tim jokingly asked.

"Add yourself in contention for dumbest." Conan said turning back for the door.

Tim followed after him with a quick laugh. It was dark, the clouds covered a good portion of the moon. The both of them walked along, hands resting in their pockets. Not a word said for the first few blocks or so.

"Thanks for handling the whole Sidney thing like you did." Tim thanked.

"No problem, as long as it doesn't become a habit." Conan replied.

"Even if you're little miss Annie next time?"

"Timmm." Conan grunted.

"Ok, ok, we'll try and stay away from situations like that." Tim said removing his hands from his pockets.

They crossed the street, nearing the Mouri residents.

"Think Ran fell for the whole uncle Richard bit?"

"She was more excited than I was," Conan said looking up to him. "I think we're good in that regard."

They came to a stop, a lone car driving by.

"Guess I'll see you tommarrow after school."

"We goanna go up and check that place out on Tuesday?" Conan asked.

"That's when they are shipping, but we're going to crash the party Monday night."

"As they say, better early than late." Conan said in agreement.

"Very true, make sure to get some decent rest."

"And you be sure not to get yourself killed."

"I'm planning on a light patrol tonight, I'll be ok." Tim replied turning to walk away.

"Be safe." Conan thought to himself as he watched him head down the block.

He then went his way, walking up the fleet of stairs. Conan reached into his bag pulling out his key to the house. He walked in, surprised to see all the lights out.

"Can't believe they've both gone to bed already."

He walked into his room, switching the light on as he entered.

"Didn't know it would feel this good to be back, might have had something to do with that lack luster motel."

Conan laid his things out for school, hanging them near the door. He then slid into his pajamas, yawning as he jumped into bed. He found himself wide awake for the next few hours, a lot processing through his mind. His eyes closed, drifting into a deep sleep.

The sound of voices on the other side of the wall bounced through. His eyes opening to the light peaking through the curtain. Tim pushed up, flipping to the ground with a thump.

"Not a better way to start the day."

He ironed his school pants and shirt before placing them on.

"Looks like Conner tried to call, I'll have to get back to him in a bit." Tim said looking to see he had one missed call.

Tim threw his bag over his shoulders, pushing the door to the side.

Conan stood infront of the mirror brushing his teeth from side to side. Once finished he walked out to be met by Ran who was also heading for the front door.

"Conan?"

"Good morning," Conan greeted. "I thought you had already taken off for school."

"How was your trip," Ran asked opening the front door. "Didn't know you'd be back this soon, I thought for sure you'd be gone for at least another day."

"I had a lot of fun, uncle Richard is a very lively guy." Conan said as the two of them stepped out.

"You should invite him over some time, I'd love to meet him."

"I'll be sure to do that." Conan responded.

The two of them walked next to one another for a block or so before heading their separate ways. Conan walked into the school yard, Genta being the first of his friends to approach.

"Conan, where were you on Friday?" He asked stepping up to him.

"I was visiting a..family relative," Conan quickly replied. "Did I miss anything important?"

"No, all we did was watch a movie."

"Where are the others," Conan asked looking around. "I don't see any of them."

"They're probably already in class." Genta said.

"Guess we better join them." Conan said as the two of them began walking.

They arrived, surprised to see class was already in session. Conan looked to his watch.

"Come on in you two." Sumiko said looking over to them.

"Has class already started?" Conan asked.

"We were just going over what everyone did over the weekend," Sumiko said with a smile. "We'd love for the both of you to join the discussion."

Both Genta and Conan took to their seats. He sat there, thinking up a story he'd tell to the class about his weekend. It didn't take long for Ms. Kobayashi to call out his name.

"Alright Conan, what did you do for your weekend?" She asked.

"Yea Conan, you weren't even here on Friday." Mitsuhiko added.

Conan tapped his pencil at the end of the desk, he could feel Ai watching him. He knew he had to come up with something, and it had to be convincing.

"I spent my weekend in Osaka, visiting a friend." Conan finally said.

"What did you guys do?" Ayumi asked from behind.

"We went to a circus, the arcade, traveled the city, it was a lot of fun." Conan replied.

"It sure sounds like it." Sumiko commented.

Conan breathed out in relief as she called on one of the other students. After they went through everyone, Sumiko gave a thirty minute lecture. The rest of the day was spent taking notes. Conan looked to the clock, class nearing it's end.

"I hope you all took good notes," Sumiko said stepping from the board. "We have a lot to get through next week, for there is no school Wednesday through Friday."

"Almost forgot about that."

"Next week will also be show and tell, so be thinking about something you can share with the class." Sumiko said.

"What can we bring?" Genta asked.

"Anything, just make sure it's school appropriate." Sumiko replied.

"I know what I'm going to bring." Mitsuhiko stated.

Conan felt a hand tap the left side of his shoulder. He turned knowing who wanted his attention.

"What are you going to bring?" Ayumi asked.

"I'm going to have to put some thought into that," Conan replied. "What about you?"

"I don't know... I guess I gotta give it some thought to."

Conan turned facing the front once again, the final bell of the day ringing shortly there after. He jumped down from his seat throwing his bag over his shoulders, catching up with Ai who made her way down the hall.

"Haibara, wait up." Conan called out.

She came to a stop, turning as Conan ran up to her side.

"You said Dr. Agasa had something for me."

"That's correct."

"Mind if I head over there with you."

"Not at all," Ai said turning to walk again. "So, you were with detective Hattori over the weekend."

"Yep, just made it sound a little more interesting for the class."

"You did a good job, you almost had me interested." She said with a smile as they pushed through the front doors.

Not many words were exchanged as they walked. They were met by Dr. Agasa who was just entering the house himself. He looked to see the two of them approaching.

"Conan, I was expecting you'd come around soon."

"What is it you have for me doc?" Conan asked.

"Come right on in."

Dr. Agasa pushed the door open, the three of them stepping in.

"Right this way." Dr. Agasa instructed.

He followed him into the kitchen. Dr. Agasa reached onto the counter grabbing a pair of shades.

"Here you are, I believe you'll find these rather useful." Dr. Agasa said handing it to him.

Conan placed the pair of shades over his eyes, nothing special happened.

"What exactly are these supposed to do?" Conan asked.

"There's a mini button on the left side," Dr. Agasa informed. "Try pressing down on it."

Conan did as instructed, amazed at what he saw.

"That is night vision you are using," Agasa said. "It also has heat signature capabilities."

"How do I use that?" Conan asked.

"By pressing down on the button once more." Dr. Agasa replied.

Conan played around with it for the next few seconds, pleased with his new toy.

"This will work wonders when tracking criminals on the run, or in hiding for that matter." Conan thought to himself.

"So what do you think of them?"

"I love um, they'll make for a viable option in my arsenal." Conan replied.

"If you want you can stay for dinner," Ai said strapping on an apron. "We're making a special tonight."

"I'd love to, but I really have something I need to do."

"You sure you don't want to stay here and hang with us for awhile?" Ai asked with a teasing wink.

Conan rubbed the back of his head with a slight laugh.

"I really have to go, but I'll be back over within the next few days." Conan said walking for the door.

"I hope you find your new gadget helpful."

"I'm positive I will, thanks doc." Conan said pulling the front door open.

Conan reached into his pocket, bringing his phone up.

He walked into the coffee shop, like he had most days after school. Tim stepped up to the front, ordering the usual. He stood to side, waiting for his order to be complete. They called his number within the first minute. He grabbed it, walking for the door. Just as he pressed up against the door, he saw her, sitting alone. He back tracked, looking to see her reading over something.

"I guess I've got a little extra time."

Tim walked back over to the front, ordering yet another coffee. He received it shortly after, slowly making his way over. He placed the mug on the table, taking a seat across from her.

"Mind if I join you Mrs. Kisaki?"

She glimpsed up for a brief second.

"How may I help you Mr. Wayne?" She asked directing her attention back to the paper.

"Just call me Tim."

"Alright then Tim, how may I be of service to you?" Eri asked.

"You look stressed, I got your favorite." Tim said sliding the mug over.

Eri looked up, becoming impatient. She brought the coffee up to her nose giving it a sniff, a surprised look followed.

"How did you know this was my favorite?"

"I could smell the mixture of the cream, nuts, banana, and caramel when you ordered it the time we met," Tim said breaking it down. "Guess you can say I have a talent for detail."  

"That explains that, but how did you know it was me when you walked in?"

"Let's be honest Mrs. Kisaki, you're not exactly an easy person to miss." He replied.

She smiled at this, a small redness coming upon her cheeks.

"Are you flirting with me Tim?"

"No, not at all," Tim exclaimed sitting back. "Just trying to create a friendly conversation."

"You sure have a weird way of going about doing that," Eri said taking a sip. "By the way, have you met my daughter?"

"Your daughter?"

"Ran, she attends the same school as you."

"Ran.....I don't believe I have." Tim lied.

"You really should, I'm sure the two of you would get along."

"And I'm sure we wouldn't."

"You never know, maybe I'll run into her some time," Tim said sitting up. "Enjoy the rest of your day Mrs. Kisaki."

"Better get out of here before things get to personal, the mention of Ran equals time to go."

"Just curious, why did you accompany me?"

"You looked a little down, thought I'd try and lighten the mood." Tim said stepping around the table.

"Mission accomplished....by the way," She said with a smile. "Call me Eri."

Tim nodded.

"Until next time Eri."

With that he headed out, holding the coffee in hand. His phone began to ring just as he stepped onto the sidewalk.

"What's happening Conan?"

"So what's the plan?"

"I'm going to go give that address a look here in a bit." Tim replied.

"Ok, let me know what you find."

"Conan, think you can meet me at my place tonight?" Tim asked.

"I'll try."

"Good, see you then."
The two of them hung up, both knowing it was going to be one interesting night.

He walked in, surprised to see he was the first home. Conan tossed his bag to the side of the table, taking a seat. He sat in thought for minutes to come, his chin resting in the palm of his hand. A few minutes passed, his phone beginning to ring. He pulled it to his ear, answering it.

"Hey Ran, where are you?" Conan asked.

"Just calling to let you know we're having an after school karate session." Ran replied.

"What time do you think you'll be home?"

"It won't be to late, if you're hungry just make a sandwich," Ran suggested. "I'll make dinner when I get back."  

"Ok, see you soon."

Conan flipped the phone shut, dropping it back into his pocket. He hopped down from the chair taking to his room.

"Maybe I should have stayed for Haibara's special."

He laid upon the bed, closing his eyes. His thoughts falling blank from his mind, finding himself asleep shortly there after. The sound of the door swinging open awoke him hours later.

"Dinner is ready." Ran said.

"I'll be out in a few," Conan said sitting up. "How did your karate session go?"

"It went well, we had a lot of sparring activities today."

"That had to be fun."

"Sure was," Ran said taking a step in. "Dad will be leaving in the morning for a couple days."

“Where’s he going?”

“A case up town, it’ll just be the two of us,” Ran said turning back for the door. “You can eat anytime.”

Conan placed his hands upon his knees, sitting in silence for awhile longer. He pulled out his phone, navigating to the game section. He found himself playing Packman, time flying by without him really realizing it.

"Can't believe I got past stage ten."

He played for awhile longer, becoming frustrated after not being able to complete the next level. Conan finally ended the game putting his phone into his jacket. He looked to the clock to see it was a little after ten.

"Can't believe I was on that thing for so long."

He jumped down from the bed, tip toeing through the hall. He looked to see Kogoro asleep at the couch.

"Yes," Conan exclaimed looking to see Ran with her head resting on the table. "Double yes."

Conan grabbed a snack, slowly making his way over. He slid on his shoes before quietly walking out the front door.

"Phew, couldn't have planned that any better."

He paced himself, making his way to the apartment.

"Twenty one minutes, I think I just set a record."

He reached up giving the door two shaky knocks. Tim opened the door in the next few seconds, looking down at him.

"What happened to you?"

"D..d...dogs," Conan came up with still catching his breath. "They chased me through half the city."

"I'm sure they did," Tim said giving him a strange look. "Come on in."

"Did you visit the drop site for the shipments?"

"Already did," Tim said sliding the closet door open. "Everything is set up."

Conan waited, watching as he suited up.

"You ready?" Tim asked pulling the cowl over his head.

"Let's do this."

The two of them walked out onto the balcony, Tim kneeling down next to him.

"Hop on."

"You want me to ride on your back?" Conan asked.

"Got any better ideas," He said looking toward him. "Last time I checked you weren’t able to fly."

"Are you sure about this?"

"Do you want to stop these guys or not?"

"What ever you say big brother." Conan muttered.

He jumped up, wrapping his arms around his neck.

"Hold on." Tim said launching the two of them into the air.

Conan slightly gasped, being caught by surprise from the force of the jump. They fell down toward the city, Conan tightening his grip. Red Robin yanked the grappler from his belt springing it loose. The first swing was crisp and sharp. Conan clamped his teeth in place as they swooped down. His glasses flew from his face, Red Robin managing to grab hold of them with his free hand, placing them into an empty pouch in his utility belt.

"Ease up kid, I won't let anything happen to you."

Each swing that followed felt more calming than the previous one, his grip loosening ever so slightly.

"That's it," He said firing to another building. "Just think of yourself as a baby robin taking his first flight."

In that second Red Robin connected with the largest building swinging them above it, placing the grappler back to his belt. Conan buried his head into his shoulder. He sprung his arms from side to side. Conan slowly peaked his head out to see they were now gliding.

"Sorry if I gave you a scare, the winds make for a smoother flight the further up."

He found himself in a dazed state, the wind gliding through his hair. He wasn't aware how much longer they flew, but they swooped onto the top of a building. Red Robin kneeled down allowing Conan to drop off.

"Here are your glasses back." Red Robin said pulling them from his utility belt.

"Nice reflexes by the way." Conan commented taking the glasses from his hand.

"Were you scared?"

"I've never been afraid of heights," Conan began. "It had more to do with not being in control."

"It's all about trust."

"I trust you RR, it's just.."

Tim placed a hand on his shoulder, the both of them smiling.

"Don't worry about it Conan, I already know."

He removed his hand from his shoulder, walking to the edge of the building. Conan stepped up next to him.

"Is that the place?" Conan asked looking to the neighboring building just across the street.

"That's it," Red Robin replied. "I have survaliance set up on all sides, it will alert us of anyone entering the general area."

"Why do we need to know that?" Conan asked.

"Just incase anyone arrives when I go in."

"You're going in?" Conan asked.

"Yep, it would be good if we could get ahold of that mercury gem."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Keep me informed through the com link." Red Robin replied.

Conan reached into his jacket placing the shades over his eyes, switching it to heat signature mode.

"There's about ten, no, eleven guy's in there." Conan informed.

Tim smiled at this.

"New gadget?"

"Yea, just got it today."

"Are you able to diagnose who's armed?"

"I'll give it a try."

Conan looked once more, checking to see if he could figure out who was armed and who wasn't.

"Looks like they are all armed except for that guy in the far corner," Conan said removing them from his eyes. "But you already knew that, didn't you?"

"Bravo, you're starting to be able to read me."

"Wasn't hard, your expression gave it away."

"You know the plan," Red Robin said stepping up to the ledge. "Let's see this thing through, be back shortly.

Conan watched as he glided down to the roof of the other building. He walked over plowing the vent to the roof open. Red Robin jumped in, crawling through the tight space. He could hear their voices echoing from below. He reached into his belt pulling out the laser pen, melting a hole into the side of the wall. Once finished Red Robin kicked it open, dropping into the room next to the one they operated from.

"You in yet?" Conan radioed.

"They're just on the other side of this wall." Red Robin replied placing timer bombs onto two sides of the wall.

"Keep me updated."

He placed his ear up against the wall, listening on.

"I recognize that voice.....Brutho."

"Place it onto the table Knightez," Brutho instructed. “Now you can all see the beauty of the mercury diamond.”

"Yes sir."

"Are we shipping every thing out tommarrow?" One asked.

"We'll get what we can done Tuesday night," Brutho said taking a step. "Whatever is left unaccounted for will be put into storage."

"What about that guy who attacked our group at the docks," Knightez asked. "Not to mention those three punks we encountered at Kosong."

"I have an extra set of eyes watching the streets," Brutho stated. "They will be found, and when they are......hell will be to pay."

With that statement the far wall exploded, knocking three of the gunmen to the ground, rendering them unconscious. Dust from the explosion circulated through the room, they could see his eyes fuming over at them.   

"Who dare come in on us, identify yourself!!"

"That's him, that's the guy who attacked us!!!" Knightez stated.

"Who are you?!" Brutho shouted.

He took a few steps, coming into the light.

"Red Robin."

"Red Robin huh," Knightez said. "Guess people will be calling you Dead Robin."

Knightez aimed forward only to have his gun knocked from his hand from a birdrang.

"Ice him!!!!" Brutho ordered.

They took aim and fired as Red Robin jumped to the side, pulling his staff out from behind.

"Seven of them have firearms, gotta take um first."

He swung his staff knocking an M9 from one of their hands, while ducking down dodging incoming bullets.

"I need to end this quick."

"Is that all you can do, run around!!!" Brutho asked firing another round.

Red Robin jumped over two of the gunmen hammering them in the back of the head with the staff. Another jumped at him, reaching for the trigger. He extended his leg knocking him to the ground.

"The guy who's unarmed, he's not attacking....why?"

He turned just in time as a fist came flying at him. He ducked down hitting them in the gut. Red Robin put his staff away flipping away from another set of incoming bullets.

"I've let this drag on long enough, time to finish this."

He tossed a couple smoke bombs to the ground, quickly going to work. Taking each of them down, one by one.

"RR, what's going on in there."

"Kinda busy Conan." Red Robin radioed back.

"Thought you should know there's a truck taking off."

"Truck?" Red Robin questioned knocking another to the ground.

"It's just right outside of the building."

"Stay put, I'll be out there soon."

He got no response.

"Conan, Conan...Conan!!!"

Red Robin quickly routed the rest of the Outworlders, only Brutho standing before him.

"You're better than I thought you'd be," Brutho stated while fixing his collar. "But why attack me and my men?"

"I'm putting an end to your little boy scout party."

"You working for the Black Yangs?"

"I'm a loner on a quest," Red Robin said taking a step toward him. "After I'm done with the Outworlders, they're next."

"Killing me won't end the Outworlders, you should know that."

"That's not what tonight was about."

"Then why are you here?" Brutho asked.

"I'm taking you in, you're the first step in me crippling your organization." Red Robin declared.

Brutho laughed taking a step back. He looked down, kicking a machine gun up from the ground, taking aim and firing. He dodged the flying bullets as Brutho ran for the exit. Knightez pushed up, following after him.

"Got him." Red Robin said connecting with a tracer.

He looked to the back wall to see the man who had been watching him fight was gone.

"He might be the guy who took off in the truck."

He directed his attention over to the table, there was nothing there.

"Could have sworn Knightez put the mercury gem up there," Red Robin said walking over. "So where is it?"

Red Robin headed for the door, pushing it open. He looked up to the building across the street, Conan was nowhere to be seen.

"Great...as soon as I alert the police I need to see where he skipped off to."

He raced down the side walk, turning yet another corner to see the truck come to a stop at a red light.

"Now's my chance."

Conan pressed down on his belt, booming one of the inflatable soccer balls forward. It connected with one of the tires, completely frying it. The driver of the truck jumped out, running toward the train station.

"Oh no you don't." Conan said chasing after him.

He darted down the street, turning the corner to see the man in the black suit come to a stop.

"He must think he's safe, guess I'll have to give him a surprise." Conan said continuing to run.

He raced over, jumping infront of him. He looked, noticing a shiny diamond embedded into the mouth of a golden lion.

"Is that some kind of trophy.....must be the gem of mercury."

"Can I help you boy?" The man asked.

"You stole that diamond, didn't you?" Conan asked.

The man turned to run yet again. Conan jumped up grabbing him by his hair, causing him to fall to the ground. He looked to his hand to see he held a mask. Conan then looked back up to the thief.

"Kid, Kaitou Kid." Conan exclaimed.

"Edagawa Conan, not sure how you were able to track me," Kaitou Kid said tossing the rest of his disguise off. "But I'm positive you won't be able to catch me." He said taking off once more.

Just as Conan was about to chase after him someone grabbed him from behind. He felt his feet leave the ground, flying up toward the building he stood by. He looked up just as Red Robin placed him back to his feet on the roof.

"Wait, you're just going to let him get away?"

"He's not our concern, it's who he's working for."

"Working for," Conan questioned. "You know something I don't?"

"The mercury gem he just took was an IIb type diamond, just like the ones he's been stealing." Red Robin replied.

"You think he's working for someone?" Conan asked.

"His MO has changed as of recent, he must be working for someone." Red Robin said.

"Now all we need to find out is the who and why."

"Not to mention Kid's decision to work for someone, there must be a good reason why." Red Robin added.

"I'm pretty sure he wouldn't tell us even if we asked," Conan said beginning to pace. "Guess that means we have some homework to do."

"I'll get on it first thing after school."

"Did you happen to plant a tracer on Kid?" Conan asked.

"Don't want to risk it, not after what happened with Gin," Red Robin stated. "He found the tracer, knew I was coming before I struck."

"You make a good point."

"I think we'd better call it a night, let me take you home." Red Robin said reaching out.

"You promise not to do any more exotic flips?"

"I promise."

Conan jumped to his back, looking to the traffic below as they swung from building to building. After returning Conan home Tim headed to the bell tower, letting his mask hang from his neck. He closed his eyes, the warm wind blowing past his face.

"What an interesting night it was."

He headed back to the apartment a little after one, getting a good nights rest himself.

Conan paved through the hall, Mitsuhiko walking up next to him.

“I tried to call you last night, was your phone off?”

“Sorry about that, I was in the middle of playing Packman.” Conan replied.

“What level are you on?” Mitsuhiko asked.

“Eleven.”

“What,” Mitsuhiko exclaimed. “I haven’t even got passed stage eight.”

“Just wait until you get to level ten.”

They walked into class, being one of the first few. Sumiko smiled as the two of them took to their seats.

“Have either of you given some thought on what you’ll share with the class next week?” She asked.

“I have.” Mitsuhiko said.

“I’m still thinking, I should have something picked out by tonight.” Conan answered.

“Take your time choosing,” Sumiko advised. “Try and make it meaningful or something the class can enjoy.”

The two of them nodded. Class beginning shortly after. They had a game day, watching a movie to end the period.

“That was an easy day.” Genta said as they pushed through the front doors.

“I think Conan cheated on that last game,” Mitsuhiko said looking to him. “Could have sworn I seen a card resting up his sleeve.”

“I didn’t cheat,” Conan assured. “Why would I do that, I prefer winning with strategy.”

“Even if that means having a hidden card?” Ai asked.

“I didn’t hide anything.” Conan stated looking to her.

“I believe you.” Ayumi said coming to his defense.

“Enough about that,” Genta said looking to change the subject. “What are you guys bringing for show and tell next week?”

“I have a few choices.” Mitsuhiko answered.

“I have no idea,” Ayumi said. “I’ll ask my mom, I’m sure she’ll have something.”

“What about you two?” Genta asked.

“Still in the thinking process.” Conan replied.

“Mines a surprise.” Ai said looking away with a grin.

“I’m sure it is, until you think of something that is.” Conan thought to himself.

“I guess we’re all in the same predicament.” Genta said.

At that second Conan’s phone began ringing, he pulled it out heading in a separate direction from his friends.

“Conan, where are you going?” Ayumi asked.

“I have to meet someone, I’ll catch up with you guys later.” Conan replied bringing the phone to his ear.

“He never walks that way, who could he be meeting?” Ai thought to herself.

Conan made his way over, striding along the sidewalk. He arrived at the apartment shortly after. The door unlocked as told.

“You said you wanted to talk to me about something.” Conan said stepping in.

“I think I’m ready to tell Ran.”

“Tell her,” Conan questioned. “By tell, how much do you mean?”

“Just enough, to the point of her trusting me.”

Conan lifted a brow, very confused at this late development.

“So what exactly changed your mind on this matter?” Conan asked.

“Take a seat and I’ll tell you.” Tim replied.

“Ok.” Conan said taking a seat at the end of the bed.

He turned the computer screen to where Conan could see it as well.

“Bill records, who’s are those?” Conan asked.

“I planted a tracer on Knightez last night, he’s planning a little trip.”

“Trip, what kind of trip?”

“A cruise, I’m betting he’s meeting someone important,” Tim began. “There’s going to be a lot of big name people there.”

“So you want us to follow after him.”

“You catch on quick Shinichi.” Tim said.

“What about Brutho, is he going to?”

“Not that I know of,” Tim said standing from the chair. “When I tracked down Knightez, Brutho was nowhere to be seen.”

“Knightez must have a real name, having a billing history and all.”

“Right you are,” Tim said pulling up another link. “His name is Freil.”

“Freil,” Conan questioned. “I wonder where that originates.”

“I was thinking the same thing.”

“When does this little cruise take place?” Conan asked.

“Tommarrow.”

Tim walked over to the window, looking to the sun which hid behind the clouds.

“Where does you making good with Ran fit into all of this?” Conan asked.

“I want her to come along, as my date.” Tim replied still looking to the sky.

“What,” Conan exclaimed jumping down from the bed. “What do you mean as your date?!”

“I need something to keep the attention off of me, being a Wayne and all,” Tim said. “This also gives us flexibility with our investigation.”

“You hired that college kid to be your butler, why can’t you hire another to be your date?” Conan asked.

“That wouldn’t fix the part of me taking you with me, unless you want uncle Richard to call again,” Tim replied. “I think it’s time I stopped lying to her, the both of us for that matter.”

Conan walked over leaning up against the wall.

“If it makes you feel any better, there will be two beds,” Tim said looking to him. “You can sleep with Ran, I’ll take the other.”

“How long will this.....little trip be for?” Conan asked.

“Four days.”

Conan thought about this for a few minutes. Tim sat back down, typing something up. Conan walked over soon after, standing to the side of him.

“Ok, I’m all in,” Conan spoke out. “Under one condition.”

“Name it.” Tim said still fixated on the computer.

“Don’t try anything funny.”

“My track record with women hasn’t been very successful, you don’t have to worry about me stealing her away from you.”

“So...what am I supposed to tell Ran when I get home?” Conan asked.

“You just be extra nice, I’ll handle the rest when I stop by tommarrow.......by the way,” Tim said looking to him. “You think she would like roses?”

Conan crossed his arms.

“You sure that’s necessary?”

“After all the drama we’ve been through, I’d say so.” Tim replied.

“Yea, she’d like that.” Conan mumbled heading for the door.

“I’ll see you soon.” Tim called out.

Conan walked out, the door closing behind him.

“This plan is going to fail.” The both of them thought.

He dragged along, kicking any stone which lay in his path. Conan made it back to the house, dinner sitting on the stove. Ran came walking out of her room a few seconds later placing a bag next to the door, heading to the bathroom right after.

“Did I mention I really hate his plan?”

She came out a few seconds later, reaching down and tossing the bag over her shoulder.

“I’ll see you in a few days.”

“Wait...where are you going?” Conan asked.

“The art show,” Ran answered opening the front door. “Remember the ticket you gave me?”

“Oh...yea,” Conan said rubbing the back of his head. “Then who’s going to watch me, Kogoro’s out on a case.”

At that second Sonoko walked in, heading over for the table.

“It’ll only be for a few days,” Ran said. “I’ll try and bring you something back.”

Ran walked out, closing the door behind her.

“There goes our plan right down the long drain.”

Conan turned as Sonoko approached.

“I dropped a lot of plans to come and watch you,” Sonoko said coming to a stop infront of him. “So you better be on your best behavior.”

“I will.” Conan replied with a laugh.

“So.....what do you want to do for the next few days?” Sonoko kindly asked.

“We’re screwed.”

To Be Continued



Converting /tmp/phpM40W73 to /dev/stdout