Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ The Axe Killer ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Detective Prince
Chapter 20
The Axe Killer

“I know who did it,” Norio said stepping forward. “It was Freil!”

“What, me?!”

Norio turned as Bondo walked up to the side of him.

“How do you know he’s the killer?” Bondo asked.

“I saw him talking with Tsuneo earlier tonight, sounded big,” Norio began. “Heard something about a money account, said they would meet at two this morning.”

Everyone immediately directed their attention to Mr. Omah who took a step back.

“Is this true Mr. Freil?” Captain Naoki asked.

He stood in silence for the first few seconds, breathing out a couple times.

“Yes...we were supposed to meet at two,” Freil admitted. “But I swear I didn’t kill him!”

“How do we know you’re not lying?” Sonoko questioned.

“You heard him yourself lady, I was going to meet him after two,” Freil stated. “Looks like one of you killed him before we could meet.”

“He’s right, two isn’t for another thirty minutes or so.” Conan thought to himself.

“What was in this account you two were to discuss?” Tim asked.

“That’s confidential information sir.” Freil coldly replied.

“We’ve got a man dead aboard my ship, I want answers,” Captain Naoki said stepping infront of him. “What was in the account?”

“I....I don’t know,” Freil said with the drop of his shoulders. “All I know is the Yin/Yang box was to be delivered to him.”

“What’s that?” Conan asked.

“Something that’s sitting along with the money,” Freil answered. “I have no idea what’s inside.”

Conan and Tim looked to one another, very interested to find out what.

“Do you know the number of the account?” Conan asked turning back.

“No,” Freil replied. “But I do know the name, which happens to be CMX4.”

“Where’s it located?” Captain Naoki asked.

“Don’t know.”

“You sure you don’t know the account number?” Conan pushed.

“That’s enough, we have what we need.” Tim whispered.

Conan looked up to him, nodding.

“Captain Naoki, there’s something I need to check up on,” Tim stated. “Would it be ok if I headed back to my room for a minute.”

“Make it fast.”

Tim took off. Conan followed after him.

“Conan wait!” Sonoko yelled out.

They ran through the halls, coming to a stop at their registered room. He slid the card pushing the door open.

“Tim what’s up?” Conan asked switching the light on.

“Checking his alibi.” Tim replied pulling out his laptop.

“Alibi?” Conan questioned.

Conan watched as something popped up on the screen.

“Are those sound waves?”

Tim nodded in response.

“Now I see,” Conan said with the snap of his finger. “You’re checking the motion censors you placed on his door.”

“Exactly.”

The two looked on, waiting for the results to appear from the trial. It didn’t take long.

“Uh oh.”

“What do you mean?” Conan asked not sure what the readings meant.

“Freil’s not our killer, he was in his room for the past two hours.” Tim replied. “The only time he left his room was just after ten thirty.”

“That must be when he met with Tsuneo to discuss their deal,” Conan said stepping toward the dresser. “Tsuneo was defiantly killed within the last hour, felt his body when I checked for a pulse.”

“I’m betting our killer knew about their little meeting.” Tim said closing the laptop.

Conan turned back leaning up against the wall. Tim slid the laptop back into his bag before heading for the door.

“You said we had what we needed,” Conan said causing Tim to look back. “What did you mean by that?”

“He gave us the name of the account, with my resources and connections it won’t be hard to track it,” Tim said assuringly. “I’m betting there’s a lot of in and out activity going through it, shouldn’t be hard to pin point a location.”

“You make a good point.”

“We better hurry back to deck,” Tim said pushing the door open. “They might get worried about us.”

“Yea, you’re right.”

They walked through the halls, arriving back on deck to find everyone standing around, no one speaking a word. Captain Naoki looked to the two of them, whistling for everyones attention.

“I think it would be best if we all headed inside,” Captain Naoki stated beginning to walk. “We’ll discuss this situation further once in.”

Everyone followed his lead, pushing through the main doors.

“Don’t worry, I won’t let anything happen to either of you,” Shoji said walking up next to both Sonoko and Kazuha. “Just stay close.”

“Sure you won’t,” Conan thought to himself. “What are you going to do if he shows up, dance on him?”

He lead them all the way to the casino. Most everyone taking a seat. Tim and Conan stood near the wall, Kenji pulling up next to them.

“Why did you bring us here?” Hiroki asked.

“We need to figure out everyones whereabouts for the past few hours,” Captain Naoki replied. “This should help us to find out who’s responsible for the murder.”

“Find out,” Takako exclaimed. “We already know who the killer is, he’s sitting right there!” She shouted pointing to Freil.

He simply shrugged this off.

“Potential motive yes,” Tim said stepping from the wall. “But proof that he’s the killer, no.”

“What are you saying?” Déwu asked.

“I’m saying we need to weigh our options,” Tim said removing his hands from his pocket. “Everyone is a suspect, you, myself, and even the women.” Tim said scouring over everyone.

“I find that funny,” Kazuha said standing from her seat. “You mention women, and just happened to look directly to me.”

Tim took a step back keeping his hands infront of him. He could see the anger in her slowly building up.

“That’s not true, I’d never single you out.” Tim said with a smile trying to humor her as best he could.

“I don’t see what’s so funny about what you’re implying,” Kazuha said continuing toward him. “If you have something you want to say, then go for it.”

“It’s ok Kazuha,” Conan said stepping from the wall. “I’m sure he was only trying to make a point.”

“That’s right, I was only trying to make a point.” Tim said looking Kazuha in the eyes. “I’m sorry if you felt I was in any way suggesting you were some how involved.”

She finally came to a stop, standing there, looking at him for a few seconds. She took back to the table with the swing of her hair. Both Tim and Conan sighing out in relief.

“I need to find a way to get back on her good side.” Tim thought to himself.

“So what happens next?” Norio asked.

“We go over the events of everyones night, before the murder occurred,” Tim replied. “We’ll start with you Hiroki, about what time did you head to bed?”

He thought about it for a few seconds.

“Around eight thirty.”

“Can anyone clarify this?” Captain Naoki asked.

“I can,” Aoko said raising her hand. “He was in the piano room, leaving at about eight thirty.”

“That is correct,” Setsuko confirmed. “The two of them listened to me play for most of the night.”

Captain Naoki nodded.

“What about you Mr. Nou?” The captain asked looking his way.

“I saw both Kazuha and Sonoko to their rooms before taking to mine as well,” Shoji replied. “You can ask the children, they were with me.”

“We’ll do that, at about what time was that exactly?” Captain Naoki asked.

“I’d say roughly nine.” Shoji replied.

“That’s about the same time I went to bed.” Kenji said.

“About thirty minutes later Tim and I decided to head back to our room.” Conan informed.

Captain Naoki turned, directing his attention to the two of them.

“We also escorted Aoko to her room before doing so.” Tim added.

“Can you confirm this as well Setsuko?” Captain Naoki asked.

“That is correct, those two awoke her from the table she rested taking her to the exit.” Setsuko confirmed once more.

The room fell silent for the next few seconds.

“What about you Mr. Salvonte, what time did you take back to your room?”

“I’d say about twenty after ten.” Bondo replied.

“It was thirty after,” Ladislav corrected. “You walked in after the program I was watching went off, which happened to be ten thirty.”

“I’ve never been good with time.” Bondo stated.

“What were you doing during those hours?” The captain asked.

“In a game of pool with Takeo and Déwu.” Conan answered stepping forward. “Tim, Aoko, and myself saw them playing while going to our rooms.”

“Is that true?” The captain asked.

Both Takeo and Déwu nodded.

“We all went to bed from there,” Takeo said. “I ran into Kim who was also closing up for the night.”

“That’s right,” Kim said. “You waved to me.”

“I didn’t go to bed until eleven,” Takako said. “I couldn’t sleep...... that’s when I decided to take a walk.” She finished.

“That just leaves you two,” Captain Naoki said looking to Setsuko and Norio. “When did you two decide to close up shop?”

“I went to bed about nine,” Norio said standing from the table. “Watched a movie before getting a little shut eye.”

“That’s a lie, Conan and I bumped into him around nine thirty while in the hall,” Tim thought to himself. “He’s hiding something, but what.”

“What about you Setsuko?” Captain Naoki asked.

“I was up past eleven,” She said trying to remember back. “I didn’t leave the piano room until fifty after.”

“Did you see anything..... hear any strange noises?” Conan asked.

She thought about this for a few seconds.

“As a matter a fact I did,” Setsuko replied. “When I walked into the hall I heard something, sounded like a large object moving across the ground.”

“Really now,” Takako said. “When I discovered the body I heard something dragging along the deck just around the corner, sounded like a bag.”

“A bag?” Tim thought to himself.

“Now that you both mention it,” Aoko said turning in her chair. “I heard something moving across the ground just before I fell asleep.”

“What did it sound like?” Tim asked.

“I...I don’t remember.”

“Do you think you would if you heard it again?” Captain Naoki asked.

Aoko nodded.

“They all heard something moving across the ground,” Conan thought to himself. “Takako mentioned a bag, could it have something to do with the killing?”

“Guess it’s my turn to let everyone know where I was,” Captain Naoki said. “Fred and I were in the engine room until about one.”

“I left for my room no later than ten after.” Fred added.

“Anyone see you going to your room?” Tim asked.

Fred shook his head up and down in response.

“My rooms just to the side of the main cabin.” Fred said. “Naoki saw me finish up my last minute duties before heading to bed.”

“We have what we need, piecing it all together is what will be tricky.” Tim thought to himself.

He and Conan shared a brief glance, knowing they still had much work to do.

“I think you better go check on the children Mr. Nou.” The captain stated.

“I’ll go and bring them here, I’ll only be a minute.” Shoji said before taking off.

“Would it be ok if I went and got my phone?" Aoko asked.

“I have a few things to grab as well." Déwu stated.

“I’ll go with you." Hiroki said stepping to his friends side.

The captain looked to the three of them, taking a few seconds to think about this.

“Don’t see why not, just be sure someone goes with you." Captain Naoki said.

With that both Déwu and Hiroki headed off. Aoko turned to the others, Tim being the first to approach her.

“I’ll walk you to your room." He kindly offered.

“Thank you Tim."

Tim then turned to Conan who still leaned up against the wall.

“Keep an eye on everyone." Tim whispered.

“Won’t be a problem." Conan whispered back.

Kazuha crossed her arms, watching as the two walked into the halls.

“He sure was quick to volunteer to help Aoko to her room," Kazuha said to herself. “Thought he didn’t like long haired girls, bet he try’s something."

Everyone waited in silence, the minutes slowly moving by.
Conan looked from one person to the next, examining their every move. He then turned to Kenji who looked to the ceiling, apparently lost in thought. Conan stepped over next to him, his hands falling to his pocket.

“Mr. Kenji,” Conan engaged. “Did you happen to see anything, or hear anything strange before you went to bed?”

“Can’t say I did,” Kenji replied. “Let’s just hope we find this guy before he strikes again.”

“Or she.” Conan added.

“Very true junior detective.” Kenji said.

A surprised look came to Conan’s face.

“How did you know that?” Conan asked.

“I watched you all introduce yourselves,” Kenji answered. “Through the security survaliance in the engine room.”

The two turned just as Captain Naoki approached.

“Kenji, I want you to go and radio about the situation.”

“Yes sir, I’ll be right on it.” Kenji said driving off toward the door.

The next second Kim walked up to the two of them.

“I’m feeling a little chilly,” Kim said rubbing the sides of her arms. “Would it be ok if someone escorted me to my room so I could grab a top?”

He nodded.

“Fred, could you see Ms. Kim to her room?”

“Sure thing captain,” Fred said walking up next to her. “Right this way.”

Conan’s shoulders dropped, his head shaking from side to side.

“How am I supposed to keep an eye on everyone when they keep leaving?”

The two finally came upon her room. She slid her card
pushing the door open, inviting him in.

“I’ll only be a second, I promise.” Aoko said reaching for the light switch.

“We’re not exactly in a rush Aoko,” Tim replied following her into the room. “Take all the time you need.”

He looked down to the carpet, being the same green tint as the one in his room. Tim took a seat at the bed, watching Aoko as she searched through her bag. She tossed it to the side after not being able to locate her phone. She then took to the dresser, looking through the drawers.

“Found it.” Aoko said as the lights blanked dead.

She screamed out, her phone nearly flying from her grasp. Aoko felt a hand come to her wrist, causing her to scream even louder.

“Relax Aoko,” Tim said putting a hand to her mouth. “It’s just me.”

He gave her a few seconds to collect herself.

“We’re going to head back to the casino,” Tim said turning on his phone for lighting. “Stay close, ok.”

“...ok.”

Tim smiled trying to comfort her. She gripped the side of his right arm as they walked toward the door.

“Do you think the killer did this?”

“I don’t know Aoko, that means we need to stay alert.” Tim replied pushing the door open. “Let me know if you feel, hear, or see anything.”

He kept a half step infront of her, listening.... looking for anything out of the ordinary. Each step just as cautious as the last. They passed the first corner, Tim glimpsing back. The sound of the furnace dusting along the walls. His focus at it’s sharpest, the two of them heading down the longest hall of the boat. Aoko found herself looking back every few moments, almost as if they were being watched, followed even.  He could feel the increase in her breathing, the two nearing the end. The final door they walked passed cracked, he sensed it, turning just in time.

“Aoko down!!” Tim shouted forcing the both of them to the ground just as the blade flew past their heads.

He looked up to see the figure stare down at them for a brief second, one which seemed to last for minutes. The dark shape then took off down the hall, Tim catching a bleak glimpse of the weapon before it vanished into the dark. He then turned to Aoko who lay on the ground next to him.

“You ok?” Tim asked.

Aoko didn’t reply.

“She must be in shock.”

He pushed to his feet, flashing the lighting from his phone down to her.

“Come on, we gotta get back to the casino.” Tim said holding out his hand.

She grabbed it, standing to her feet as well.

“Why are they doing this?”

“I’m not sure....yet.” Tim replied.

He stood by the wall, a set of dimmer lights than before flickering on. Captain Naoki came back into the room a few seconds later.

“Good, we have light
again.” Conan thought to himself.

“The backup emergency lights are on.” Captain Naoki said.

“What happened to the regular ones?” Bondo asked.

“I’m unable to answer that at this time.” Naoki replied.

“The others have been gone for quite some time,” Norio said looking to his watch. “You think they’re ok.”

The side door opened with Shoji entering along with Kamiko and Yuji at his side.

“What happened to the lights,” Shoji asked as the three of them walked over. “Nearly scared the living day light out of the kids.”

“We’re not sure yet.” Sonoko replied.

He took a seat at the table next to her. Silence filling the room once more. Déwu and Hiroki being the next two to enter a few minutes later.

“Sorry it took us so long, we got a little side tracked when the lights went out.” Hiroki said.

“Where are the others, I see a good portion of the group is still missing.” Déwu said.

“I’m sure they’re all on their way back.” Captain Naoki said.

They began waiting, a minute turning into three. Conan kept his eyes on everyone, his mind elsewhere.

“They should have been back by now.” Conan thought to himself.

He reached for his phone, deciding to give Tim a call.

“Come on, answer.”

Conan put his phone away, only getting the answering machine. The far doors opened the next second, Tim and Aoko walking in.

“You both sure took your time,” Sonoko said turning to their direction. “Were you two messing around or something?” Sonoko jokingly asked.

Aoko blushed, Tim ignoring her comment.

“We were attacked,” Tim informed. “I guess killing Tsuneo wasn’t enough.”

“Attacked?” Captain Naoki questioned.

“Someone was waiting for us in one of the rooms.” Aoko stated.

“When we walked past they tried hitting us with a blade of some kind,” Tim said scouring everyone over. “I’m now one hundred percent positive it’s someone from our group.”

“What makes you think that?” Setsuko asked.

“Whoever was waiting for us knew where we would be, that we’d be alone.” Tim replied.

This caused everyone to look around, to those sitting amongst them.

“It could be any of them.” Kazuha thought to herself.

“Where are the others?” Tim asked noticing a few people still missing.

“They haven’t come back yet.” Naoki said.

“I think we better go out and look for them,” Tim said. “There’s no telling who it is.”

Naoki thought about this for a few seconds, coming to a decision not long after.

“Everyone stay close,” Captain Naoki instructed. “We’re moving out.”

Naoki reached into his side pocket, pulling out a flash light. Everyone followed behind him in search of the others aboard the ship. Tim walked next to Conan, he looked up, knowing he had neglected to share something with them.

“Something’s on your mind,” Conan said getting his attention. “Care to share?”

“The killer wasn’t aiming for us both,” Tim stating to only where Conan could hear. “The hit was meant for Aoko.”

“What,” Conan questioned. “Are you positive?”

“Very,” Tim replied. “After that little encounter I’m betting I just got added to the list.”

“It must have been near pitch dark,” Conan said. “How did you know they were behind you?”

“Not even Batman can sneak up on me,” Tim said directing his attention forward. “That answer your question?”

No words were spoken between the two of them for the next few seconds.

“Why would someone want to kill Aoko, but not Tim?” Conan thought to himself.

Captain Naoki singled for everyone to come to a stop. Naoki walked over to the left side of the wall, noticing shattered glass sprinkled along the ground.
He kneeled down

“Where did that glass come from.” Kazuha asked observing the scene as well.

“There,” Conan pointed. “Looks like something was behind that small glass door.”

Naoki turned after feeling a tap at his shoulder.

“Captain, what did you happen to keep behind that glass?” Conan asked.

“An axe.” He replied.

“Looks like we may have our murder weapon diagnosed.” Tim said.

“You think that was the weapon used by the attacker in the dark?” Takako asked.

“I couldn’t really tell you,” Tim replied. “But it’s a possibility.”

“Come, let us go and find the others.” Captain Naoki said standing back to his feet.

They followed the captains lead once more, turning yet another corner. Déwu stepped to the front, holding the doors to the deck to the side. It was quiet, only the sound of the waves pouncing along the ship could be heard. Naoki kept the light flashed infront, lighting their path as they continued. A sound can be heard in the far distance, that of something falling overboard into the water.

“What was that?" Both Tim and Conan said at the same time.

They all came to a shivering stop, glimpsing to the pool of red.

“Oh no." Conan thought to himself.

Everyone froze except for Conan and Tim. Naoki began shaking, Tim taking the flash light from his hand to scour the rest of the pool. There she was, floating to the far side of the pool.

“It’s Kim!!” Sonoko screamed.

Yuji and Kamiko both began crying, not sure on the complexity of the situation.

“Everyone stay back,” Tim said. “I want to give the scene a look.”

“Who died and made you in charge!” Hiroki exclaimed.

“I’m not going to argue with you,” Tim said with a demanding look. “Just do as I say, I want to give the whole scene a look before it becomes contaminated.”

He turned walking toward the pool, Conan at his side.

“Conan wait,” Sonoko said. “He wants to go alone.”

He didn’t listen, nor did Tim reject him from following. Bondo noticed this.

“There’s something about these two, they show no fear,” Bondo thought to himself. “It’s almost as if they’ve been in this situation before, like an adventure of some kind.”

The two of them approached the body, walking along the side of the swimming pool.

“She’s been cut...several times at that.” Tim said looking to the many marks that lay present upon her body.

Conan took the flash light from his hand bringing it to her head which happened to be face down.

“Tim, think you can lift her head up?” Conan asked.

“Sure thing.” Tim said reaching into the water.

He grabbed hold of her hair, slowly bringing her head up. Just as Conan had suspected, a large cut right through her brain.

“Wow, she really took a hit.” Tim said letting her head fall back in.

“That cut to the head is not consistent with the ones around the body, look,” Conan said pointing while aiming the light. “Those cuts were used with a smaller blade.”

“A knife perhaps?” Tim questioned.

“Could be.” Conan said noticing an extra puddle of blood at the side of the edge. “Hey Tim, check that out.”

Tim looked over, beginning to come up with a scenario. The rest of the group watching from afar.

“What do you think they’re talking about?” Shoji asked.

“Probably some CSI stuff,” Déwu said. “That Conan guy did say he was some kind of detective.”

“I hope they can find out who this creep is.” Setsuko said.

Shoji walked up to both Kazuha and Sonoko, trying to smile as best he could.

“If we make it through this, I was wondering if you both would come to my show,” Shoji said. “I have two tickets left, I’d love if you both would come.”

“We’d be delighted.” Sonoko accepted.

“When is it?” Kazuha asked.

“First week of next month.”

“Count me in,” Kazuha said. “I’ll have to make room on my schedule.”

“Great, I know you’ll both enjoy your time.”

He looked up at him, waiting for him to finish up his last thought. Tim took a few steps back from the pool, looking from it then to the puddle of blood. Tim snapped his finger.

“Got it.”

“Got what?” Conan questioned.

“Kim was engaged a few feet away from the pool,” Tim said. “The killer began stabbing her, pushing her in.”

“I see,” Conan said following. “The killer then see’s Kim isn’t dead, she try’s coming out of the water only to be met by the axe.”

“This time finishing her off,” Tim completed. “That would explain the puddle of blood on the side of the pool.”

“Now all we have to figure out is what was the other weapon used.” Conan thought to himself.

He flashed the light around, heading further away from the pool. Conan continued his sweep of the area, looking for the slightest detail of anything out of place. He came to a stop, looking down to find Fred, lying face down
.

“Captain Naoki, come quick!” Conan yelled.

He checked for a pulse, relieved to find one. The footsteps came storming in, Conan looked up to see everyone had come over.

“Fred,” Naoki yelled. “Is he alive?”

Conan nodded.

“Looks like he took a big hit.” Conan said noticing a bump on his head.

“Let’s hope he remembers what happened when he awakes.” Takeo said.

“I wish Heiji was here, he’d have solved this by now.” Kazuha thought to herself.

Conan then turned to see Tim still
standing over the pool, staring into the blood filled water.

“I’ll be right back.” Conan said handing the flashlight back to Naoki.

He walked to the side of him, looking up into his eyes.

“Hey Tim, what’s wrong?” Conan asked.

“The water,” Tim replied still looking to the darkness of the pool. “You see that?”

He looked down, not seeing a thing. Conan cleared his mind, focusing his attention harder than he had before. It laid across the bottom of the pool, giving off a small fume of light.

“What is that?” Conan asked.

“I don’t know,” Tim said breathing out. “But I do know I’ll need a shower after this.”

“Why’s that?” Conan asked.

He answered his question by jumping into the water. Everyone shot their attention over, wondering what was going on.

“Conan what’s he doing?” Sonoko asked.

Conan put her question on hold, watching as Tim rose up from the water.

“Looks like our killer got a little sloppy.” Tim said pulling up from the pool.

“What did you find?” Conan asked.

Tim didn’t answer, sliding something into his jacket. Conan could see it in his face, he was on to something.

“Let’s go rejoin the others.” Tim softly spoke.

“Come on Tim, you can tell me,” Conan said stepping infront of him. “You have a suspect, don’t you?”

“It’s just a hunch, we’ll need more evidence.” Tim said walking around him.

Conan watched as Tim headed back to the others, not sure what to take from his comments.

“Why is he being so distant all of a sudden?” Conan thought to himself.

He to joined the rest of the group.

“Captain, where’s Kenji?” Tim asked.

“I sent him to the main cabin to radio the center about our situation.”

“We better get down there,” Tim said. “He could be hurt, or worse.”

“Good call,” Naoki said in agreement. “But what about Fred?”

“I’ll carry him.” Déwu offered.

“That’ll work, let’s go.” Captain Naoki said standing back up.

Bondo stared over at the two of them while they walked, studying their every move.

“There’s something about them.....I just can’t put my finger on it.”

It took them under a minute to arrive at the cabin, his mechanical chair sitting near the communication tools and computer.

“There’s his chair,” Kazuha pointed out. “But where is he?”

A low grunt can be heard coming from behind the desk. Conan went to the other side,  finding Kenji laying on his back.

“Are you ok?” Conan asked.

“They...they got me from behind.”

Naoki grabbed one side of him with Norio grabbing the other, the two helping him to his chair.

“Did you send the message before you were attacked?” Conan asked.

“Yes,” Kenji replied with a nod. “It wasn’t until after that the door opened, someone darted in knocking me to the ground.”

“Atleast you’re ok.” Captain Naoki said.

“Could someone escort me to my room,” Kenji asked. “I need to go and put in a new bag.”

“Conan and I will go with you.” Tim volunteered.

“I’ll come to.” Bondo said.

“Very well,” Captain Naoki said. “The rest of you with me, we’re heading back to the casino.”

“Make sure no one leaves this time.” Tim advised.

“I don’t plan on it,” Naoki stated. “You four just be sure to come back in one piece.”

The majority of the group left, leaving the four of them alone in the cabin. Kenji drove over to the closet toward the right, pulling it open.  

“Think one of you can grab that?” He asked pointing up to the top.

“What is it?” Bondo asked.

“A lantern,” Kenji replied. “It will make for a viable light source while traveling the halls.”

“Good call.” Tim said.

Bondo pulled it down, handing it to Kenji who lit it. He then handed it back to Bondo who held it at shoulders length.

“Alright boys, follow me.” Kenji said.

He drove forward knocking the doors to the cabin open with the three of them close behind. The walk was a rather quiet one, not a single word coming from any of the four men. Conan still wondering what Tim had found, and why he wasn’t telling him what. After nearly five minutes of silence they came upon a room in a secluded area of the ship.

“Here we are.”

He opened the door, inviting the three of them in.

“It’s pretty crammed in here, don’t you think?” Tim asked.

“You get use to it after awhile.”

Bondo held the lantern over his head, trying to light up as much of the room as he could. Tim and Conan looked to Kenji’s bed to see a fishing pole and tubes of medicine laid out. Kenji finished placing on a new bag a few seconds later.

“You three about ready to go?”

“I sure am,” Conan blurted. “Your room is giving me the creeps.”

Kenji laughed at this, holding the door open.

“Keep that lantern nice and high,” Kenji said. “There’s no telling who could be lurking.”

“Ofcourse.”

The water can be heard flowing through the pipes as he washed his hands. Most sat at a table, a few standing near the wall. Freil sat alone. He could feel them watching, staring at him. Over ten minutes had gone by, they still had not arrived back at the casino.

“I wonder if they’re ok.” Aoko thought to herself.

“I’ve had enough,” Norio said stepping up from the wall. “We need to take care of this madman now.” He said looking over to Freil.

“You heard what that city boy said,” Takeo disagreed. “It could be any of us, we need proof before taking any kind of stand.”

“What do you need Takeo,” Norio asked. “Another dead body?”

“I agree, I say we do this guy in now.” Hiroki said.

“I find it funny that you believe I’m the axe killer,” Freil said. “Aren’t you the tree cutter.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Isn’t obvious,” Freil said standing from the table. “You’re the one used to dealing with heavy artillery such as knives and axes.”

“He’s right.” Setsuko said.

“You stay out of this!” Déwu yelled.

“That will be just about enough.” Captain Naoki said walking over.

“You’re not in charge anymore,” Hiroki stated pushing him back. “All that’s happened on your watch is death.”

“This is my ship, and you will abide by my rules.” Naoki said only to be punched to the ground by Déwu causing Aoko to scream out.

Kazuha shot up from the table, jumping in between all the commotion.

“That’s enough,” She shouted with frustration and anger in her eyes. “Everyone sit down and shut up!”

She felt a shove from behind. This only raised the anger which had already been fostered through the nights events. Kazuha turned coming face to face with Hiroki.

“Wanna try that again?”

“You mean this?” Hiroki said reaching forward.

Kazuha grabbed ahold of his arm flipping him onto his back. Her attempt at gaining control was short lived, feeling a cold pain swiftly glide across her shoulder. She cried out reaching for it to realize she had been cut. Kazuha then turned receiving a stiff kick to the rib causing her to fall back to the ground.

“Don’t even think about intervening dance boy.” Hiroki said looking over to Shoji as he got back to his feet.

Shoji became frozen by this statement. Sonoko quickly took to Kazuha’s side, checking her condition.

“Are you ok?”

“It hurts,” Kazuha said favoring her injured shoulder. “How bad is it?”

Sonoko gave it a look, disgust coming to her face as she stood to her feet.

“Let’s see you try that on me,” Sonoko daringly said taking a step forward. “I’ll sue you so far into the ground you won’t ever recover.”

Hiroki snapped at this, grabbing Sonoko by her shirt and slamming her against the wall. A tear rolling down one of her cheeks.

“Not so tough now are you.” Hiroki said tightening his grip on her shoulders.

Ladislav looked up from the book she read, reaching down for her gun strapped to her leg.

“This has gone on long enough.”

“You have something you want to say, like an apology maybe?” Hiroki asked digging his fingers deeper into her shoulder.

She sucked up the pain, not giving into his demand. The sound of something crashing through one of the tables can be heard, causing Hiroki to release his grip. He turned around to see Déwu had been put through a table, Tim standing over his body with Conan, Bondo, and Kenji just a few feet behind him.

“I’d step away from her if I was you, that is unless you want to end up like your friend here.” Tim said.

It had happened so quickly, Ladislav slowly putting her gun back in place.

“You think I’m afraid of you?” Hiroki asked coldly.

“Don’t know, don’t care,” Tim replied brushing off his jacket. “But if you touch her again, I’ll do more than just put you through a table.”

The room fell silent. Hiroki looked to the ground, coming to a decision to just walk. Déwu got back to his feet following him over to the far corner. Conan walked over to check on Kazuha, Sonoko coming over as well.

“What happened,” Conan asked. “We heard a fight breaking out when we approached.”

She turned to him, still gripping the side of her shoulder.

“Déwu cut me when I tried to break up their little verbal bout.” Kazuha said showing him her cut.

“Captain Naoki, can you grab the first aid kit.” Conan asked

“Sure thing.”

He headed to one of the drawers, pulling out the first aid kit.

“Think she’ll be ok?” Sonoko asked.

“Ofcourse,” Conan replied. “All she needs is a few stitches.”

“But there are no doctors aboard.” Kazuha stated.

“I’ll fix you up,” Tim said kneeling down next to the three of them. “That is if it’s ok with you.”

She instantly looked away.

“I take that as an undisputed yes,” Tim said with a smile. “Good, now come have a seat at one of the tables.”

Sonoko helped her up, following Tim to a nearby table. Captain Naoki brought the first aid kit over, laying it down.

“Is she going to be ok?” Aoko asked walking up next to them.

“She’ll be fine,” Tim said directing his attention to Kazuha. “I’ll make this is as quick as possible, all I need for you to do is sit up on the table.”

She did as instructed, turning her head to the side once up. Everyone remained quiet as he slowly stitched away. Kazuha found herself cringing from the pain, clenching her teeth to help relieve it every few seconds.

“All done,” Tim said taking a step back to check his work. “You’re free to step down.”

“Thank you.” Kazuha quickly remarked before jumping down.

“What took you four so long anyway?” Takeo asked.

“We made a stop on their request,” Kenji said looking to both Conan and Tim. “It only took them about five minutes.”

“What were you two doing?” Captain Naoki asked.

Tim turned around, removing the latex gloves as he did.

“Kenji was kind enough to allow me into the room Tsuneo occupied,” Tim stated. “He wasn’t to meet Freil until after two, we needed to find out what got him to leave early.”

“I can understand that part,” Bondo said following. “But why did you have Conan go into your room, then into mine?”

“Simple,” Conan said with a grin. “We had to compare his room to ours, particularly his clock.”

“His clock,” Takako questioned with a shiver. “What relevance is that, did it lead you a step closer to finding the killer?”

Tim walked up to her, softly placing a hand on her shoulder.

“That was the last step....we know who the killer is.” Tim said causing everyone to gasp out.

“Is it Freil?” Setsuko asked.

“I’m betting it’s one of those jerks.” Aoko said looking toward Hiroki and Déwu.

“Conan, would you take the luxury of kicking us off?” Tim asked.

“No problem.”

They all watched as Conan walked to the middle of the center, tension looming throughout the room. He cleared his throat, looking to everyone who watched on.

“Like Tim said, we had to find a reason why Tsuneo would leave his room,” Conan began. “I first went to our room, from there he called me over the phone.”

“Why?” Norio asked.

“We needed to compare his clock with others throughout the ship,” Conan said looking his way. “That’s why we also used Bondo’s room.”

“What did you discover,” Shoji asked becoming impatient. “What was so important about the clocks?”

“His was one minute behind the others.” Conan replied.

“What does that have to do with anything?” Kazuha asked.

“Someone changed the time on his clock manually through the engine room,” Tim answered. “Captain Naoki, didn’t you say there was a one minute delay after resetting a clock?”

He nodded.

“That is correct.”  

“Let’s not forget the dragging sounds a few of you heard,” Conan said. “The killer try’d to kill Aoko, I’m betting Setsuko and Takako would have also be targeted since they to heard the sound.”

Hiroki walked up to one of the tables, slamming his fist down.

“Enough with all this analyzing bullshit, who’s the killer dammit!!” Hiroki yelled out.

The room fell silent. Tim headed over to him, everyone holding their breath as he did. He came to a stop at the table reaching into his jacket. Tim pulled out a knife, driving it into the middle of the table causing everyone to jump.

“A knife?” Hiroki questioned.

“That’s right,” Tim said. “But take a close look at it.”

Everyone gathered around the table, giving the shiny object a sharper look.

“It’s so bright, what kind of knife is that?” Aoko asked.

“The kind a diver uses in the ocean,” Tim replied. “Incase they lose possession of it in the deep sea.”

“Is that what you jumped into the pool for?” Sonoko asked.

He nodded.

“I’m sure you would know about these kinds of knives, wouldn’t you,” Tim asked looking to Kenji. “You told me and Conan you used to be a sea diver, this knife belong to you?”

“So what if it does,” Kenji questioned. “Dosen’t mean I killed anyone.”

“Oh, but you did,” Tim said looking him dead in the eyes. “Remuir Kenji, is the killer!!”

“You kidding,” Kenji asked with a laugh. “I can’t even walk, the killer must have good mobility if they were able to escape from you in the dark.”

Conan walked up, taking the floor once more.

“At first I couldn’t quite figure out what was up with Kim every time you two interacted,” Conan began. “At first I thought it might have been a mutual attraction.”

“Conan where are you going with this?” Aoko asked.

“Then I realized that she had seen you.” Conan stated.

“Seen me?”

Conan looked up to Sonoko.

“Didn’t Kim tell you she saw someone naked?”

“Yes.” Sonoko replied confused on why he asked.

Conan then turned back to Kenji, his eyes narrowing, fixated on him.

“She didn’t just see any naked man, but a standing one,” Conan said. “That’s why she was so uncomfortable around you.”

“Nice, I didn’t even catch that.” Tim thought to himself.

“That’s right,” Sonoko said. “She did say he was standing in the corner of the room.”

“What about the dragging sound we heard?” Setsuko asked.

“That ones easy,” Conan replied looking up to her. “It was the sound of his bag dragging along the ground, he had collected to much liquid.”

“Which also happened to be some of of Tsuneo’s blood,” Tim added. “That’s why there was a big portion of the blood missing at the scene.”

“The sound of something going overboard was probably the bag of blood.” Conan finished.

Captain Naoki came to Kenji’s defense, stepping at his side.

“I don’t see how he could have done it, he can’t even walk,” Captain Naoki said. “Where would he hide an axe anyway, we would have seen it.”

Tim stepped forward, looking down to Kenji who glared up at him.

“Didn’t you say you never took your medicine and fishing pole from your bag?” Tim calmly asked.

“.....Yes.”

“I saw your fishing pole and medicine scattered across your bed,” Tim said then directing his attention to his bag. “I’m betting the axe is in there.”

“Kenji, is this true?” Captain Naoki asked.

Kenji backed away from the table, anger expressed across his face. He looked to the ground for a few seconds. His head slowly pushing back up, a half smile coming to his face.

“Well played detectives,” Kenji said standing to his feet. “I’ve been able to walk for the past two months.

Everyone gasped, a smile of victory coming to both Conan and Tim. Kenji zipped the bag open, tossing the axe to the ground. Captain Naoki couldn’t believe it, finding himself lost for words.

“I have one last question,” Tim said taking a step forward. “Why, why did you kill Tsuneo.”

“I....I, can’t tell you who,” Kenji said looking to the ground. “I endanger my family if I do.”

Tim looked back to Conan, both having a good idea what the situation was.

“A hired hit.” Tim thought to himself.

“You can call the authorities, I won’t resist arrest.” Kenji said taking a seat at one of the tables.

Captain Naoki walked to the middle of the room, giving everyone a long look.

“You all look tired, why don’t you get some sleep,” Captain Naoki said. “I’ll take care of this.”

“Sure you don’t need help, Tim and I could stay.” Conan said.

“You two did your job, a swell one at that,” Naoki complemented. “I think you’ve earned a little sleep.”

Conan looked up to Tim who nodded down. With that everyone headed back to their rooms, most glimpsing over at Kenji as they did. Tim felt a tap at his shoulder as they walked, turning to see Sonoko.

“I’d like to apologize for earlier.”

“Accepted, I’m sorry for what I said as well,” Tim replied. “I didn’t know you’d take it that way, if I’d known.”

Sonoko put a finger to his mouth, a smile coming to her’s.

“I accept yours to, no need to explain.”

“This mean you still won’t tell Ran?” Tim asked.

“Sure.... as long as you and Conan continue to keep your allegiance to me,” Sonoko said proudly looking away.

Tim shook his head from side to side, humored by her remark. The three made it back to the room not long after.

“Funny to say, but something positive did come out of this,” Conan thought to himself. “CMX4, the account number.”

To Be Continued



Converting /tmp/phprYwO2z to /dev/stdout