Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Mystery Hit ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Detective Prince
Chapter 25
Mystery Hit


"That's my third time calling, highly unusual for Shinichi not to answer."

He placed his phone off to the side. The sound of the computer beeping can be heard within the seconds to come. He switched the screen on, pleased at what he saw.

"Just as expected, the blood found on that knife in the briefcase Gin tied to me matched that of the victim found dead at the building down town."

Tim stood from the chair, opening the locker where his gadgets lay. He gave everything a look, reloading on anything that was running low. He shut the locker once finished, turning back to the desk to hear his phone ringing. He stepped back over looking to see who it was before pulling the phone to his ear.

“Was wondering when you’d call.” Tim said answering the phone.

“Thought this would be a good time to check up on you and your mission.”

“To be honest with you Bruce, I’ve got a little side tracked by some of the other things going on down here.”

“Do you need any kind of help,” Bruce asked. “I could fly down, or send Dick if you’re in need of a little assistance.”

“Nothing I can’t handle, besides,” Tim said with confidence. “I’ve gained two very reliable allies while operating.”

“I don’t know your situation Tim,” Bruce acknowledged. “But are you sure they can be trusted?”

“Positively,” Tim replied. “One of them even has ties to the police force, so it makes my planning just that more flexible.”

“I’ll trust your judgment, you’re calculating when it comes to picking your associates.”

Silence dwindled between the two for the next few seconds that past.

“So, how’s everything back in Gotham?”

“Things have gotten a little heated between the gangs,” Bruce replied. “Not only has it kept me busy, but Gordon and the police department as well.”

“I can hear it in your voice, that’s not all... is it,” Tim questioned. “What’s going on?”

“Nine days ago both Twoface and Hugo Strange escaped from Arkham, exactly two hours and two minutes apart.”

“That’s a red flag, any idea on how they escaped?” Tim asked.  

“The doors to their cells were melted from the hinges up,” Bruce replied. “The only thing found was markings left behind upon the cell walls.”

“Markings,” Tim questioned. “What kind of Markings?”

“A very artistic pattern, following up the left sides of each wall.”

“What could it mean?”

“I don’t know Tim, but I’ll keep you updated.”

“As will I,” Tim said. “Wherever Deadshot is camping out he’s bound to show his face soon.”

“I can’t advice to you enough how much to be careful.”

“Don’t worry, I’m not the target remember.”

“Even then you need to stay alert.”

“Ofcourse,” Tim said taking a seat at the chair. “Guess I’ll touch base with you when I make further progress.”

“Sounds good, I’ll give everyone your best.”

“Thanks, and keep me updated on your end.” Tim finished before the two hung up.

He sat in thought for the next few minutes, thinking about all he had just heard. Not only did he have an agenda of his own, but something was hitting track back home. It left him very uncomfortable. He finally pushed up from the chair after minutes of sitting, exiting the underground base.

“Maybe a little walk will help clear my mind.”

This was one of the many times he had walked this route, taking the longest way possible. He came to a stop once reaching the door, taking a deep breath before giving it a knock. No response was returned. He tried once more only to receive the same results.

“He’s not here, can’t exactly go to the hideout to check either.”

Conan pulled out his phone, giving him a ring only to get the answering machine. He sighed, turning and heading back for the elevator. An hour went by, his legs beginning to tire beneath him. He came to a stop once approaching one of the many parks. He stood under one of the many tree’s, welcoming it’s shield from the sun. He quickly scoured the area with a hand over his eyes.  

“There he is.” Conan said with relief.

He walked over to the bench overlooking the playground where the children played, taking a seat to the right of him. Tim immediately noticing turned to face him.

“Hey Conan, what are you doing here?” Tim asked.

“I was looking for you,” Conan replied. “Tried calling, but your phone was off.”

“Left my phone at the hideout, needed some time to think.” He said looking back to the playground.

“What’s wrong?” Conan asked seeing a look of distress in his eyes.

“Something’s going down back in Gotham,” Tim replied. “And I can’t even be there to find out what...atleast not until I finish up business here.”

“Sounds big.” Conan thought to himself.

Tim shifted his attention back down to him, a slight smile appearing.

“Just curious, how did you know I’d be at the park?” Tim asked.

“Don’t all birds hang here?” Conan jokingly replied.

“Very funny Shinichi, so what’s so important that you had to track me down?”

Conan turned away, dropping his eyes to the ground. He looked over at him knowing it must be something important.

“What is it,” Tim asked pushing for an answer. “Was there another killing?”

Conan lightly tilted his head while coordinating his eyes to the left. Tim lifted a brow, turning to the left to see Ran. She stepped from the tree where she stood, slowly making her way over. Tim darted his attention back to Conan.

“You told her?!” Tim exclaimed.

“No, Sonoko did.” Conan replied rolling his eyes.

“Swell, and here I thought we had three to four days before she talked.” Tim mumbled.

Ran took a seat a few inches away to the left of him. His attention strolled away from Conan, turning to find her with a friendly smile upon her face.

“I was going to tell you.” Tim stated.

“Yea, I know,” Ran said. “Conan and Sonoko already told me.”

“You don’t seem very angry,” Tim said leaning his back up against the bench. “I really expected you to be.”

“I was,” Ran admitted. “That is until Sonoko told me about you, Conan even. He views you as an older brother you know.”

“Thats news to me.”

“Didn’t know you liked to read,” Ran said. “Conan told me about the countless detective stories you went through with him.”

“We sure love our Sherlock, right Tim?” Conan added.

“Indeed we do.” Tim said slightly glimpsing over at him before turning back to Ran. “So what brings you here, did you want to ask me something?”

“I guess I have a few questions,” Ran said inching in a little closer. “Promise to be truthful with your answers?”

He nodded in response.

“Now with my first question.” She said easing in. “Have you and my father been talking?”

“From time to time, when I see him that is.”

“When did this start?”

“I’d rather you ask him,” Tim replied. “Let him know it’s ok with me when you do.”

Ran paused at this, knowing it must be something rather important.

“What about back when we were abducted, how come you left me,” Ran questioned. “You said you’d come back.”

Tim looked to the sky, slowly coming up with a story scenario in his head.

“After I left you to go find a way out, I heard noises.” Tim said looking back to her.

“Noises,” Ran questioned. “What kind of noises?”

“At first I wasn’t sure,” Tim said putting on his story face. “But then I heard it’s rattle, slowly slithering toward me.”

“What was it?”

“A rattle snake,” Tim replied with enthusiasm. “When I saw it I took off running, finding the exit shortly after.”

“So let me get this straight,” Ran said crossing her arms and legs while narrowing her eyes. “You left me behind because of some lousy snake.”

“Not just a snake,” Tim exclaimed. “This bad boy was over twenty feet long, with the teeth of a mountain lion!”

“Oh jeez, didn’t know rattle snakes got that big.” Ran frowned less than convinced.

“I was surprised myself when I saw it.” Tim said with a laugh.

“A rattle snake, wow,” Conan said jumping in. “You failed to mention that part to me.”

Tim gulped, immediately swigging his head back.

“What are you doing?” Tim muttered.

“I thought you said you went back to save her, only to be cut by one of the culprits from a knife.” Conan said ignoring him.

It instantly hit her.

“So that’s where the blood on my clothes came from,” Ran said beginning to follow. “It was yours, wasn’t it?”

He slowly turned around, a smile coming to his face.

“I wasn’t the only one who came to save you, Cona.” Tim began only to feel a pinch at his right rib causing him to stop.

He looked to Conan who shook his head from side to side.

“What were you going to say?” Ran asked.

Oh nothing,” Tim replied facing her once more. “The reason I lied about not being there was because I didn’t want it leaking out to the media.”

“Why’s that?"

“I’m not one for a lot of drama." He replied.

“How did you take those two guys out anyway?” Ran asked.

“All luck,” Tim replied. “I honestly don’t even remember all the details, a lucky bird is what I am.”

“And I think you’re full of it." Ran said slightly laughing at how humorously he was taking it all.

She reached into her pocket, pulling out her phone to check the time.

“I guess Conan and I better get going.” Ran said closing her phone.

“Why’s that, some where to be?” Tim asked.

“I need to get started on dinner pretty soon here,” Ran replied while sitting up from the bench. “Come on Conan, let’s go.”

Conan jumped down following after her.

“Ran does this mean me and Tim can still hang out?” Conan asked looking up to Ran then back over to Tim.

She gazed over at the two, Conan enforcing his cause by giving her a look of sorrow.

“Fine, but only when I’m with you,” Ran answered. “I want to know a little bit more about him before you two continue your little club, deal?”

“Deal.” Conan agreed.

Tim and Conan shared one last glance before the two walked off. Tim sat alone, looking back to the sky above.

“Things are a little twisted, complex, Shinichi and I defiantly need to have a private talk when the opportunity arises.”

He trotted along side her as they made their way up the stairs. Ran unlocked the door allowing for the two of them to enter. Conan slid off his shoes, walking over and finding a place to sit up against the wall.

“That went well, considering how much Tim tried bending the truth all the way from Tokyo to Gotham.”

He sat for awhile longer, glimpsing over to Ran who tied the apron around her waist. He rested his head against the wall, drifting into a small daze in wait. Nearly fifteen minutes passed before Ran turned to see Conan sitting up against the far wall.

“Conan are you ok?”

“I’m fine, just thinking,” Conan said flickering his eyes open. “When is Kogoro supposed to get home?”

“I’m not sure,” Ran said turning back to the stove. “It can’t be to long from now, we’ll just hang tight until he does.”

“Sounds fine to me,” Conan said pushing up from the wall. “Thanks for giving Tim another chance, he’s a really cool guy.”

“I have no problem with it,” Ran said facing him once more. “As long as neither of you try testing me in any kind of way.”

“Ofcourse not,” Conan assured. “We’ll keep everything under your standards.”

“I’m glad to hear that, dinner should be ready shortly.”

Everything was scattered about; papers, files, and even folders. They lay, trailing across the desk. He went to work, beginning to sort the small mess up. It took him under five minutes to finish. He drifted back onto the bed, staring to the ceiling in thought.

“Bruce said they escaped Arkham nine days ago,” Tim thought in rest.  “That was when Kudo, Hattori, and myself were in Korea.....Harvey and Hugo don’t really associate themselves, what could it mean?”

He laid awhile longer, still trying to make sense of it all. He sat up when eight hit, walking out to the balcony to watch the night sky.

“Then I have the task of tracking down Deadshot, Vodka, Gin, and the Black organization,” Tim thought putting a hand to the railing. “Not an easy assignment, especially when I don’t even know where any of them are.”

He leaned forward bringing his other hand to the railing, slowly coming up with a plan.

“The best way to find them is to set a trap, one they can’t resist,” Tim said tapping a finger. “Question now becomes, how to reel them out.”

The clouds laid wide apart, a cold breeze whistling past through the city streets. He awoke at the crack of dawn, hours before school was to begin. Conan yawned, rolling out of bed to begin his early day. He checked his phone, finding he had three missed calls from Heiji.

“I really need to keep up with this phone, I’ve had a lot more missed calls as of late.”

Conan found himself dressed within the minute. He tossed on his glasses and bag before leaving the room. He switched on the TV once in the main room, checking for any recent activities. Nothing of importance caught his eye.

“Guess it’s just another typical morning.”

He surfed through the channels for awhile longer before taking off to school earlier than usual. It was a cool morning, but it didn’t bother him in the slightest.

It heated up as the day progressed, the sun just as bright as the previous day had been. She placed the last of what she didn’t need into her locker, shoving it shut nearly jumping to see him standing beside her.

“Good morning Sonoko.”

“I heard you talked with Ran.” She replied.

“Sure did,” Tim said. “Why didn’t you tell me you told her already?”

“It kinda slipped my mind.” Sonoko smilingly replied.

“I bet it did.”

She reached back unzipping her bag, pulling out a text book.

“Here’s your chemistry book back,” Sonoko said handing it to him. “Thanks for letting me use it.”

“I take it you found yours?”

Sonoko nodded.

“Strangely enough it was sitting by the front door desk.” Sonoko said as they began walking to class.


“I guess the next time you lose something, that should be the first place you check.” Tim said zipping up her still open bag.

He sat slouched forward, the lights turned out for the movie they watched. Conan huffed once more as another note found it’s way to his desk, passing it to the person diagonal to him.

“Can I move seats now, I’m not enjoying being the bridge for note passers.”

He braced himself, knowing it was going to be one of those days. The note passing continued throughout class, keeping him occupied for the day. He breathed out in relief once the final bell rang, slowly putting his supplies back into his bag. He looked up to find he was the last student to leave the class.

“See you tommarrow Conan, I hope you took good notes from the video.”   

“I did Ms. Kobayashi.” Conan said on his way out.

He looked from one side to the other once entering the hall, none of his friends in sight.

“I wonder where they could be,” Conan questioned still looking. “They usually always wait for me.”

He continued to walk, careful not to bump into those roaming the halls like himself. He exited through the front entrance, still no sign of his friends.

“Maybe they’re hiding from me intentionally.”

Conan continued to walk, noticing Ai standing alone leaned up against a light pole near the road way.

“There’s Haibara, but what about the others?”

He made his way over, Ai noticing him as he got in closer.

“Took you long enough.” Ai said as Conan came to a stop infront of her.

“Where’d the others run off to?” Conan asked.

“They took off to take their things home,” Ai replied. “I volunteered to wait for you.”

“What for?” Conan asked.

“They wanted me to tell you to meet them at the park for a game of ball.”

“Can’t really say I have anything to do, you can count me in,” Conan said coming to a decision. “What about you Haibara, are you going to come?”

“If everything is straight around the house, I might just show.” Ai replied as the two began walking.

“I know what you mean,” Conan said. “Things can get a little hectic when Dr. Agasa is at work.”

“Let’s just hope there aren’t any chemical spills to attend when I get home.”

“If things are out of line, I’d be more than willing to help you straighten up.” Conan offered.

“I can handle it myself, but enough about that” Ai said turning to face him. “What’s been going on with you?”

“With me?” Conan asked looking to her as well.

“You don’t seem like yourself,” Ai began as they continued to walk. “Trying to get a hold of you has become work, and not to mention your recent lack of input with the detective boys.”

Conan fell silent for a small time to come.

“I’ve just been really busy,” Conan said looking forward. “My phone charger has been experiencing technical difficulties, that’s why I haven’t been answering.”  

Silence fell between the two, both looking ahead rather than to eachother.

“I know he’s hiding something, it’s only a matter of time before I find out what.”

They parted ways when the time came. Conan watched Ai slowly walk down the block and turn the corner before heading his way. He knew she was onto him, but was determined to keep his recent activities a secret. He made it to the house soon after, walking in to find Kogoro on the phone. He looked to see Ran had not yet arrived home.

“Guess it’s just me and Kogoro.”

Conan pushed out of his shoes, walking to his room where he placed his bag to the ground.

“I know there’s someone I needed to call back, who was it again?” Conan questioned while pulling out his phone.

He turned to the door with the sound of alerting foot steps heading his way.

“Conan I’m going to head down to the station, I’ll be back shortly.” Kogoro said appearing in his doorway.

“What for,” Conan asked. “Was there a killing?”

“There sure was.”

“Can I come along, I promise I won’t get in the way,” Conan said assuringly. “I didn’t last time.”

“You do make a point,” Kogoro said rubbing the bottom of his chin. “Fine, but you better make sure you stay in line.”

“Yes sir.” Conan said with the nod of his head.

With that the two of them headed to the front room, slipping on their shoes before heading out and catching a taxi. Conan sat back as they drove, deciding whoever it was he needed to call could wait. They escaped the traffic jam, arriving at the station after a good twenty minute drive. Both stepped out from the cab, walking up to the front of the station to be greeted by Inspector Megure and Officer Takagi.

“We’re glad you could make it on such a short notice.” Wataru said pleased to see him.

“So why are we meeting here,” Kogoro asked. “Shouldn’t we be meeting at the crime scene?”

Inspector Megure nodded.

“Right this way.”

Both Conan and Kogoro were confused by this, following none the less. Juzo and Wataru lead them around the side of the station, a strange odor flowing through the air. They arrived behind the building to find the laying body, that of a police officer. Kogoro and Conan jumped back in surprise, not expecting to see what they did. He had been shot once in the leg, but had multiple wounds from what appeared to be from some type of blade.

“This was Officer Ryoi,” Inspector Megure stated. “He had just transferred here at the beginning of last week.”  

“Looks like he’s been dead for awhile.” Kogoro said examining the body. “Don’t you have camera’s back here?”

“The estimated time of death is eighteen hours.” Wataru informed. “The survaliance system was disabled for a little over a minute last night.”

“That’s not good.”

Conan walked around the body, giving it a look himself. He then looked through the grass surrounding the body, checking for anything that could pose as viable evidence.

“I don’t see anything that would point to any kind of struggle, the killer must have brought Ryoi here after killing him,” Conan thought as he continued to circle around the body. “But why, why would the killer bring the body where it would easily be discovered by the police, it dosen’t make any sense.”

He looked back to the body, further examining the cuts. They were deep, precise.

“Whoever did this knew what they were doing,” Conan said looking to the bullet wound. “The culprit probably shot Ryoi to immobilize him.”

Kogoro continued to talk with Megure and Takagi as more officers entered the crime scene. Conan continued his search, carefully looking over the body. His eyes jumped wide when he caught sight of it, knowing it could be a big break in the case.

“Kogoro, I think I found something.” Conan said.

Inspector Megure, Takagi, and Kogoro all walked over curious to what Conan had found.

“What is it,” Wataru asked. “What did you find?”

“There.” Conan pointed.

The three of them looked, noticing a small piece of folded up paper in his left sock.

“The kid’s right,” Kogoro said. “Have all the necessary photos been taken from this crime scene?”

“They sure have,” Inspector Megure replied. “Let’s give that little sheet a look shall we.”

“Yes sir.”  

Wataru reached down sliding the folded paper out from the sock, carefully opening it.

“What’s it say?” Conan anxiously asked.

“Here goes,” Wataru began with the clear of his throat. “Know you have been forewarned, kill the creature of the shadows! Failing to do so will result in further dismay.”

The four stood in silence, even more confused then they had been just a few minutes ago.

“This just went from off the wall to out the door,” Conan thought to himself. “What do they mean.....kill the creature of the shadows, clearly this case is far from over.”

Conan took to the side of the wall, standing in thought as the others carried out a search of the general area.

“Detective Mouri, would it be ok if I had a word with you?” Wataru asked.

“I see no harm in that.”

The two stepped away from the crime scene, walking to the side of the station where Conan stood in thought.

“So what is it you wanted to speak to me about?”

“There’s a big event taking place down at the down town dance center,” Wataru informed. “I thought you might be interested in going.”

“What for?” Kogoro asked.

“There’s going to be events to help raise money for the less fortunate, and to top it off,” Wataru said with a smile. “Okino Yoko is going to be there, everyone knows how much you admire her.”

“Are you kidding,” Kogoro exclaimed in excitement. “I’ll defiantly be there!!”

“Enjoy old timer, I got a case to crack.”

“That’s good to hear, it starts at six tommarrow,” Wataru said glad to hear he’d be coming. “Getting a ticket might be a little tricky, they’re running rather low.”

“Don’t worry about that,” Kogoro said with a laugh. “I know a guy who knows a guy, it’s all about connections my good man.”

“Great, then I’ll see you then.”

Kogoro watched as he walked off, turning to Conan a few seconds later. He reached over pulling Conan up to his level.

“Hey Conan you want to go to that event with me?”

“No thanks, I’ll stay at the house with Ran.” Conan kindly replied.

“To bad, you’re going,” Kogoro rejected. “I need you to call Tim Wayne for me.”

“Tim Wayne,” Conan questioned. “Why do you want me to call him, I don’t even know his number.”

“I’ll give the number to you.”

“Why do I have to call, how come you can’t do it?” Conan asked crossing his arms.

“Because you’re an innocent little boy,” Kogoro replied. “He’ll be more inclined to getting the tickets if you ask.”

Kogoro placed him back to the ground with a smile coming to his face.
“Oh Yoko, how I’ve longed to see you again.”

“Guess that makes me the guy who knows a guy,” Conan thought with the roll of his eyes. “Kogoro is sure something else.”

Hours went by with the sun setting in the distance. He neglected to give his homework any time, watching the sequel to the movie he had just finished. His phone rang for the third time that hour. He continued to ignore it. Fifteen minutes passed before it rang for the fourth time.

“I feel like I’m at the police headquarters or something.”

Tim finally gave in, standing from the bed and grabbing his phone from the dresser.

“Hello?”

“Hi Tim it’s me Conan, the kid who lives with detective Mouri.”

“Yea....I think I know that, so what’s up?” Tim asked.

“Can you please get me a ticket to the party at the down town dance center for tommarrow night?!”

“Sure.....I’ll just make a call.”

“Better make that two, I want Mr. Mouri to go with me,” Conan added. “We’d love if you would join us.”

“Hey Conan,” Tim whispered. “Why are you talking like some kind of fruit?”

“Sweet, I’m glad you’ll be able to get the tickets.” Conan said ignoring his question. “We’ll see you then.”

The next thing he heard was the click of the other end. Tim closed his phone while laying it onto the desk.

“What was that all about,” Tim questioned. “Either Kogoro put him up to it, or he’s handled one case to many.”

He took back to the chair, focusing his attention to the TV once more. After another hour, he attended to his homework. It didn’t take him long to finish. Without realizing he found himself asleep, his upper body resting upon the desk.

The next day brought a damp and loomy beginning. He crossed the road with his hands to his pocket. The fog flowed as low as the street levels, making it difficult to see. Conan could see his school out of the corner of his eye as he approached.

“Let’s hope this day goes nice and smooth, already have to go to some party I have no interest in attending,” Conan thought as he stepped into the school yard. “Hopefully Tim decides to come to, that would atleast give me someone to talk to.”

He neared the front doors only to have them blocked by Genta who stepped infront of him.

“What’s the deal Conan,” Genta said crossing his arms. “I thought you were going to come to the park to play ball with us yesterday.”

“I was on a case with Kogoro.”

“Yea right, you’ve been evading the detective boys for some time now.”

“No, really,” Conan explained. “There was a dead police officer found behind the station, he was stabbed and shot.”

Genta uncrossed his arms, still giving him a skeptical look.

“I’m going to have to look into this.”

“I’m sure one of the others heard about it on the news,” Conan said pushing the door open. “You can ask one of them, they might be able to confirm what I said.”

The two walked side by side on the way to class. They arrived to find Mitsuhiko and Sumiko to be the only two present in the classroom.

“Good morning Ms. Kobayashi.” Genta said.

“Hey guys did you hear about the murdered police officer up at the station?” Mitsuhiko asked.

“Oh yea,” Genta said rubbing the back of his head. “Conan told me about it.”

“Have either of you given any additional thought to what you’re going to bring for show and tell?” Sumiko asked.

“I already know what I’m going to bring.”

“Me too.” Conan said.

“Glad you both are ahead of schedule, we’ll present come Friday.”

“I can’t wait to see what everyone brings.” Mitsuhiko said.

“Me to.” Genta agreed.

Both Conan and Genta took to their seats as well, waiting for the rest of the students to arrive. Class began five minutes later. Through the day they took turns reading out of the text book, jotting down notes as they did. It was very clear she had her sights set on him, every time he looked over she was staring back.

“I wonder what I’ll have to do to get Haibara to drop her suspicions.”

This ran through his mind as class progressed. The final minutes were spent sharing what they learned for the day. The final bell rang just as the last student finished their sentence.

“I’ll see you all tommarrow, and be safe on your way home.”

Conan stacked his bag onto his shoulders. He walked toward the exit, noticing Ayumi at his side.

“We plan on going to get some ice cream, you wanna come?” Ayumi asked. “We’re going straight there.”

“As much as I’d love to, I have somewhere to be,” Conan replied. “Kogoro and I are heading down town in a bit.”

“Ohhh....maybe next time.”

“You can count on it.” Conan said with a smile.

“Wouldn’t hold your breath if I were you.” Ai said walking past the two.

Conan nor Ayumi said another word as they walked. At this point he knew he had to do something, before she really began putting everything together.

“Ran already knows about me hanging with Tim, maybe it’s time my friends know as well.”

Ayumi left his side once they reached the sidewalk, heading over to the others who were already on the way to the ice cream shop.

“I’ll see you later.” Ayumi waved as she joined the others.

Conan waved back, walking into the opposite direction. It was a quiet walk home. The sound of cars and trucks driving by being the only thing keeping him from completely falling into a trance of uncertainty. He arrived back to find Kogoro standing in the front room, adjusting his tie.

“Good news kid,” Kogoro said facing him. “Ran will be late getting home due to her after school karate session.”

“What’s so good about that?” Conan asked.

“Do you ever think, you know how much she hates Tim,” Kogoro said. “With her out of the house until atleast five that gives us plenty of time to leave without her becoming suspicious.”

“But Ran isn’t mad at Tim anymo...” Conan began only to be cut off.

“Ran said we should grab a few things for tonight’s dinner,” Kogoro said finishing with his tie. “That will be our excuse for being out when she arrives home.”

“But Kogoro,” Conan protested. “Ran isn’t.”

“No but’s Conan, I know exactly how to handle this situation,” Kogoro said switching on the TV. “I don’t want to hear another word out of you, catching a little of the news is all I need.”

Conan shoulders and arms slouched downward as he took to his room.

“So he’s got it all figured out, right....”

He went through his things, looking for something nice, but not over the top to wear to the dance center. He finally came to a decision, grabbing a dark green polo shirt along with a pair of black slacks. He slid on a nice pair of shoes before heading to the bathroom to brush his teeth. He arrived back to the front room to see Kogoro finish up with a phone conversation.

“Who was that?” Conan asked.

“Tim ofcourse,” Kogoro replied. “He’s set to meet us infront of the building in twenty, so let’s get going.”

Conan looked to the clock which read four fifty two as they exited through the front door. He could see the excitement in his eyes and through his gestures as they drove.

“I wonder what Yoko is wearing tonight.” Kogoro said rubbing his hands together.

“Got to love how delusional he can be.” Conan thought to himself.

The drive lasted for another ten minutes, coming to a stop at the end of the block where the event was to be held. Kogoro pushed forward anxiously with Conan trailing close behind as they made their way up to the long line.

“So this is it, huh,” Conan said looking around. “I wonder where Tim is.”

“I’m sure we’ll see him soon,” Kogoro said giving the area a look to. “Keep your eyes peeled.”

They stood in line for the next few minutes, arriving to the front to still see no sign of Tim anywhere.

“Hey wait a minute, aren’t you the famous detective Mouri?” The ticket collector asked.

“One and only.” Kogoro said looking back in search.

“Are you looking for Mr. Wayne?” The clerk asked.

“That’s right, have you seen him?” Conan asked.

“That must mean you’re Conan, he said you two would come,” The clerk said removing the rope. “He already gave me your tickets, just go right on in.”

“Thanks sir, we’ll do just that.” Kogoro said as he and Conan stepped pass.

“Any time detective.”

They walked up to the front doors, pulling them to the side. It was crowded, the lights from above making for a clear path. Conan glimpsed down to the crisp red carpet, admiring it’s silver trimmings along the edges. All tables sat positioned near the walls, leaving the majority of the room for maneuvering around.

“There’s Tim.” Conan pointed catching sight of him leaned up against the wall.

He looked up to see them approach, smiling as they did.  

“I’m surprised you two made it this quick,” Tim said looking to his watch. “To be honest I wasn’t expecting you guy’s for atleast another ten or so.”

“I’m glad you were able to get the tickets,” Kogoro said. “So how’s school been for you?”

“Rather well actually,” Tim replied. “I’ve made a few friends in the process.”

“Well good for you,” Kogoro said looking from one side to the other. “Hey Tim, you wouldn’t happened to have seen Yoko around by any chance?”

“As a matter a fact I did,” Tim replied pushing up from the wall. “I talked with her a few minutes ago.”

He looked over to the other side of the room, immediately spotting her.

“Right this way,” Tim instructed. “I’ll take you to her.”

Conan and Kogoro followed his lead, managing not to bump into anyone as they walked. It was faint, but Conan could sense a little uneasiness in Drake. He noticed him looking up to the windows near the ceiling, almost as if he was being watched. She sat at one of the tables, talking with a small group of people.

“Yoko, there’s someone hear to see you.” Tim politely said stepping to the side of her chair.

She looked over to see Kogoro with a big smile on his face.

“Mr. Mouri, it’s good to see you again.” She said standing from her chair.

“And it’s really good to see you too.” Kogoro said.

Conan and Tim looked to one another, knowing this was their best shot to sneak out of the picture. As they turned to walk they found themselves blocked by two men who decided to join the group.

“Kogoro, I’m glad to see you made it.”

“Inspector Megure,” Kogoro said surprised to see him. “I had no idea you would be here.”

“He’s here for the fundraiser just like us.” Wataru said.

“Did either of you bring anyone?” Kogoro asked.

“My wife’s busy with some other things, that’s why she didn’t come along.” Juzo replied.

“Sato was going to come as well, but had something to attend to.”

“Guess we can call this guys night out.” Kogoro said with a laugh.

Conan began to tap his right foot, thinking up plan to remove himself from the group.

“If it’s ok with you Kogoro, I would like to further discuss some of the details relating to the crime.” Inspector Megure said.

“I’d be more than glad to,” Kogoro accepted. “Did you get any leads on who might have done it?”

“Kogoro I’m hungry,” Conan exclaimed jumping up and down. “Can we get something to eat?”

“Can’t you see I’m in the middle of something?!”

“Don’t worry about it Kogoro,” Tim said coming to Conan’s defense. “I’ll take him to the food section.”

“Make sure you keep a good eye on him,” Kogoro warned. “He may quiver off when you least expect it.”

“Thanks for the advice,” Tim thanked. “Right this way Conan.”

They walked over to a table which wasn’t being used. Conan watched him once more, noticing the same hesitant movements he had seen just a minute ago. The two came to a stop, taking a seat once arriving at the table.

“Thought we’d never get out of that,” Tim said. “So how come you didn’t let me tell Ran you saved her as well?”

“Then she would have questioned how I knew where to find you.”

“Ohh, good point,” Tim said. “So how have the past few days been for you?”

“A dead cop pretty much describes it.”

“I’m interested, tell me more.” Tim said resting his hands upon the table.

“I tagged along with Kogoro when he went to the police station yesterday, the body was found around back,” Conan informed. “He was shot once, but stabbed multiple times.”

“Let me guess, the bullet was in a non lethal spot?”

“The leg to be exact.” Conan said.

“That’s not much to go off of,” Tim said bringing a hand to his chin. “Any more important details I should know?”

“There was also a note found stashed in his left sock.” Conan replied.

“What did it say?”

Conan sat in thought for a few moments, trying to remember exactly what it said.

Know you have been forewarned, kill the creature of the shadows..... Failing to do so will result in further dismay,” Conan replied. “That’s what it said, though I have no idea what it means.”

“Nor do I,” Tim said giving it some thought. “Could it be a code....... hinting to something maybe?”

They both sat in thought for minutes to come, trying to figure out what the message meant. One thing was for certain, if they didn’t find out soon, more people would indeed die. Tim’s phone began to ring, breaking the two from their little dose. He looked to his phone with a surprised look.

“Who is it?” Conan asked.

“Just some girl.” Tim replied standing up from the table answering his phone.

Conan waited for a little over two minutes, still trying to dissect each little part of the note into small portions. No matter what he came up with, there always seemed to be a loose end. Tim rejoined him, taking back to the seat he had previously occupied.

“What about you,” Conan asked. “How have the last few days been for you?”

“Where to start,” Tim said giving it a little thought. “Besides what I’m doing here, something big is going down back home.”

“That dosen’t sound good,” Conan said. “Mind sharing?”

Neither was able to say another word before it happened, the crashing of the dish, the hysterical scream following right after. Tim and Conan jumped from their seats, heading over to where a group began to gather.

“What’s going on?” Conan questioned.

“I don’t know, but we’re going to find out.”

The two wiggled through the crowd, looking down to see it, that of a dead man cringing onto a hankerchief. His eyes lay blood shot, his veins swelled near the neck. Conan and Tim looked to the other, knowing by just looking at the body the chances of it not being a killing were slim to none.

“This week just keeps getting better and better.” Tim thought to himself.

“If this is a killing, then why now,” Conan questioned. “Why kill someone when they know Kogoro, Wataru, and Inspector Megure are here?”

To Be Continued

Converting /tmp/phpqwjH6w to /dev/stdout