Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Trap Set In Play ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Detective Prince
Chapter 26
Trap Set In Play

“Everyone get back,” Kogoro instructed pushing toward the body. “This is now a crime scene.”

Inspector Megure and Officer Takagi joined at his side in the seconds that followed. They gave the body a quick look, Megure signaling for them to hold off on a full search.

“We need to get the rest of the unit down here before we continue,” Juzo said. “We need pictures of the scene, and not to mention the use of our lab technicians to properly work this case.”

“I’ll make the call,” Kogoro volunteered. “But first I’d like to know what happened, did anyone see anything?”

“I saw what happened,” A man claimed stepping forward. “He grabbed a glass of tea from one of the trays, choking out after taking a drink.”

“Is that so,” Inspector Megure said. “Who carried the tray he took the glass from?”

“I did sir.”

“What’s your name?” Inspector Megure asked turning to face him.

“Kanne.” He replied.

“We’ll need to run some tests on those cups you’re carrying, along with the one he drank from,” Juzo stated looking back to the body. “No one leaves or comes in.”

“I’ll see to that.” Wataru said heading over to the entrance.

Without bringing to much attention to himself Conan gave the body a closer look, checking for any clues that could diagnose another cause of death. Starting from bottom up, he skimmed through the body.

“I don’t see anything alerting, but that still dosen’t conclude he died from the tea,” Conan thought to himself. “We won’t know for sure until it’s tested for poison.”

Someone approached from behind, causing him to look up from the body.

“With you two here, this crime is as good as solved.” A familiar voice said from behind.

Both Conan and Tim turned around at the same time.

“Shoji,” Conan questioned. “I didn’t know you were going to be here.”

“Nor did I expect to see the two of you,” Shoji replied. “Small world, as they say.”

“Guess we should have known you’d be at something like this.”

“Funny that our second meeting revolves around yet another murder,” Shoji said glimpsing over at the body. “Us three together must be some kind of bad luck or something.”

“It could just be a coincidence,” Conan said. “A lot of crazy things happen in the world every day after all.”

“Very true, guess I’ll have to hold off on that little analogy until further meetings,” Shoji said looking to Tim who still glanced down at the body. “You’re awfully quiet Wayne, you must be in your detective mode.”

“Yea, he get’s that way when he starts thinking.”

Everyone waited, some more impatient than others. The police arrived, gathering evidence and talking with any witnesses of what they saw. The glass cups present on Kanne’s tray were taken away for an in depth examination. Conan continued to watch the body, noticing Tim slip away from the side of him. He came to a stop infront of one of the nearby trash bins. Conan narrowed his eyes at this.

“I wonder what’s up with Tim, he’s been acting strange all night,” Conan thought to himself. “First the hesitations, now this.”

“Conan do you think the cup was poisoned?” Shoji asked.

“We’ll have to wait for them to finish the tests, which shouldn’t be long from now.”

He focused his attention back to the body, giving it another look. Purple coloring began to form around the eyes of the dead body, he had defiantly been poisoned, but by what?  

“Conan what are you doing over here," Kogoro asked walking up to him. “Your not snooping around again are you?"

“No, I’m just observing." Conan replied.

“Hold on a sec," Shoji said giving Kogoro a hard look. “Aren’t you the famous detective Mouri?"

“As a matter a fact I am."

“I knew I recognized you, saw your picture in the paper once," Shoji said reaching forward to shake his hand. “So you and Conan know eachother?"

“That’s right, he’s currently staying with me and my daughter Ran." Kogoro replied.

“No wonder he’s such a bright kid, getting front line lessons from the man himself."

“I guess you could say I’ve been quite the influence on him, he can be a little jumpy at times, but he’s learning." Kogoro said with a laugh.

“Yea, right." Conan thought to himself.

Within the next few minutes they arrived back with the test results from the glass, sharing the information with Inspector Megure.

“So what did you find?” Juzo asked.

“The glass he drank from was poisoned, but not only that,” One of the officers informed. “All the cups we tested had traces of the poison in them.”

“Say what?!” Kogoro exclaimed.

“What kind of poison?” Juzo asked

“We’re not exactly sure, we’ve never seen anything like it,” He replied. “But from what we can tell there’s no way it should have killed him, at least not as fast as it did.”

“An unknown poison....something’s not adding up here.” Conan thought to himself.

“Our next step is to find out who all had access to the poisoned cups.” Juzo said.

“The exits are all covered, I’ll look into that Inspector Megure.” Wataru said walking back over.

“Sounds good to me.”

Conan looked back to the body, his chin resting in his hand.

“Something’s not sitting right here..... why poison all the cups if you’re only going for one target?”

Conan looked up to see Tim step back to his side.

“He was poisoned all right,” Tim said looking down to the body as well. “Just not the way it may seem.”

“Huh... what do you mean?” Conan questioned.

Tim took to a knee, pointing over to the body.

“Check out his right thumb.”

Conan looked over, it wasn’t until then that he noticed the swelling and color change.

“Can’t believe I didn’t catch that earlier, I don’t usually miss important specs like that.” Conan said.

“You didn’t,” Tim said looking away from the body. “The poisons are taking over from the bottom up.”

“But didn’t he drink the poison,” Conan questioned. “That would mean it would spread downward, not up like you said.”

“I said poisons, there’s more than one drug in his system,” Tim replied. “Right before he died he choked out, that was also when the second poison entered his body.”

“Now that you mention it, they did say the poison they found wouldn’t be enough to kill him.”

“But with the mixture of another, it would.” Tim said.

“I’m all for listening to someone unravel a mystery, but all you’ve given me is a big load of theory,” Conan criticized with the cross of his arms. “Why don’t you cut to the goods Tim.”

“Check out the side of his left ankle Shinichi, it’s faint but you can still see it.”

Conan tilted his head around, giving the ankle area his full attention. It didn’t take long for him to notice the mini hole. From there it all came together.

“So that’s why his veins flared up around his neck,” Conan said. “From the size of it I’d say a needle was used, but how’d the killer pull it off so quickly?”

“Some great persuasion and a little fishing wire,” Tim replied pulling a strand of fishing wire from his pocket. “Found it in the trash.”

“Fishing wire?”

“The culprit connected a poisonous dart or needle to the end of the wire,” Tim began. “Taking aim and firing using a Fukiya.”

“Excuse me for my lack of knowledge on the matter,” Conan said rubbing the back of his head. “But what’s a Fukiya?”

“It’s a type of blowgun,” Tim replied looking to those that surround them. “I could smell the poison on the end of the wire, whoever did this is highly skilled.”

“How do you know a Fukiya was used?” Conan asked.

“Found split halves in two separate trash bin’s,” Tim answered. “But what we need to find is the needle that penetrated the ankle.”

Conan looked to those that surrounded them as well, looking for anyone or anything suspicious.

“It dosen’t make sense, why would the killer dump parts to their weapon into the trash where it could easily be discovered,” Conan questioned dropping his hands to his pocket. “I think there’s something bigger going on here than we know.....but what?”

“Conan I’m going to take another look around, maybe there’s something I missed.”

“I’ll join you.” Conan said following after him.

They searched any place that could be used as a hiding spot. Tim started with the tables, checking through napkins and lifting up plates. Conan gave the trash another look, taking to under the tables after not finding anything. This lasted for just over five minutes. He came from under the final table empty handed.

“Find anything?” Conan asked.

“Nope, but the killer might still have it on them.”

“Could be,” Conan said pushing up from the ground. “They’ve been highly sloppy up to this point.”

“We still don’t have enough to come up with an exact suspect.”

“I think it’s time we pinned our attention onto the guests themselves, maybe we’ll find something.” Conan suggested.

“Good thinking,” Tim agreed. “Now where to start.”

He scoured the room with his eyes, looking for anyone who seemed secluded or out of place, Conan doing the same. A soft laugh can be heard from behind the two, causing them to turn.

“So it’s true, you two are a couple of detectives.”

“Silvia,” Tim questioned. “How long have you been watching us?”

“For the last ten minutes or so,” She replied. “I had no idea you’d be here.”

“It was kind of a last minute thing.”

“So what are you guys looking for,” Silvia asked a little confused. “The police already confirmed he died from the poison found within the cup.”

“You know how guys like us are,” Conan said with a laugh. “Always checking every possibility right down to the last thread.”

“Is there anything that I can do to help?”

“No, we’ve got things under wrap,” Conan replied grabbing Tim by his wrist while turning to walk. “Let’s go Tim, we still have much to find!”

“I’ll talk with you later Silvia, tell your brother we said hi.” Tim finished before walking off along Conan.

They took to the far table where the drinks rest, coming to a stop near the wall.

“Nice going Shinichi,” Tim commented. “Who knows how long that could have lasted.”

“Having the appearance of a young boy sure does have it’s benefits.”

“And I can see how well you’ve been able to play that role.”

“Thanks, though it’s not always easy.” Conan said leaning up against the pillar.

Silence loomed over the two for the seconds that followed, still watching over the guests who waited to be cleared to leave. Tim looked up to the windows once more, the sky darkening from the sun setting out. Conan pivoted his head to the left to find Kogoro talking with Yoko and a few others, words and laughs exchanged.

“Yet again the great detective Mouri  fails to amaze me.”

He finished his search of the left, looking back to Tim after coming up empty. His eyes said it all, something had grabbed his attention.
Conan looked into the same direction catching sight of a young woman standing alone, her hair covering up her right eye. Tim looked down to Conan who nodded. They slowly made their way over, watching as she pulled out a cigarette. She looked up just as the two stopped before her.

“Can I help you?” She asked sparking the flame.

Neither responded, examining her posture and clothing. She took discomfort to this, a frown slipping upon her face. Conan noticing this quickly smiled.

“We were just wondering why you were sitting alone,” Conan said. “If you want someone to talk to we’d love to keep you company.”

“Thanks, but I’d rather sit alone.”

“Are you sure,” Conan asked buying a little more time. “We love to tell stories.”

She didn’t reply.

“Why do you have only one glove on?” Conan asked.

She evilly glared down at him, causing Conan to clench his teeth.

“Forgive my little friend, he just loves to meet new people,” Tim said stepping in. “I’m Tim and this is Conan, what’s your name?”

“Samurakami Akiye,” She replied bringing the cigarette to her lips. “Now if you kids could run along that’d be nice.”

“Kids,” Tim questioned with the lift of a brow. “I’m not exactly a kid anymore.”

“What are you, seventeen....eighteen maybe,” Akiye asked tieing her hair up into a pony tail. “That’s still a boy in my book.”

Conan couldn’t help but giggle.

“I’d actually categorize myself as a young man, not a boy.”

Akiye slid down from the table, a look of satisfaction in her eyes.

“You children stay out of trouble now,” Aiyke said exhaling into his face. “I’m really in no mood to chat with anyone.”

Tim coughed out as Conan’s giggles turned into laughs.

“Don’t see what’s so funny,” Tim said through one last cough. “She was referring to us both.”

“How lucky can you get,” Conan said with his laughter coming to an end. “Being at the same party as Silvia and Aiyke?”

“If you mean as in yea right, agreed.”

“What,” Conan questioned. “Do you even find anyone attractive?”

“Finding and bringing whoever killed this man to justice is what attracts me at the moment,” Tim replied. “Now let’s focus our attention back to where it needs to be.”

“Whatever you say kid.” Conan said tauntingly.

“If there’s one thing that can’t be deduced, it’s women.” Tim walked in thought.

Conan watched as he trotted off.

“Either he just got
hammered, or something is totally twisted up in his head somewhere.”

Conan followed after him, a loud whistle springing through the room in the moments that followed, captivating everyones attention. Inspector Megure walked to the center, all eyes locking down on him.

“After going through the evidence gathered, we can now conclude that the killer is amongst the staff,” Juzo said. “And with that in wrap, we’re going to begin the releasing process.”

“It’s about time.” Someone said in relief.

“That’s not good,” Tim said looking down to Conan. “We can’t let anyone leave just yet.”

“Don’t worry,” Conan assured. “I’ve got this covered.”

“Anything you need me to do?”

“Try and get Kogoro’s attention, I’ll do the rest.” Conan replied.

He nodded, heading through the crowd over to Mr. Mouri. He continued to talk with Yoko, slightly grunting at the tap of a hand to his right shoulder. Kogoro turned around to face Tim who had a smile on his face.

“I see you’re sane, glad to see that kid didn’t drive you out of your mind,” Kogoro said. “I’m sure you have a reason for coming over, is there something you wanted to tell me?”

“That’s correct,” Tim said. “It’s about the case.”

“Oh really,” Kogoro said becoming interested. “What exactly do you have to tell me?”

With that he felt his body leave him, tumbling backward right into a chair near the wall. Conan gave Tim a thumbs up before hiding behind the chair, adjusting the dial on the tie.

“Wait a minute Inspector,” Conan mimicked through the tie. “No one is to leave, not until I reveal what really happened.”

Juzo’s head sprung around, looking directly to the sleeping Kogoro.

“Kogoro, what do you mean,” Inspector Megure asked. “Are you saying one of the guests were involved?”

“Not exact, but probable.”

“This better be good Kogoro,” Juzo said crossing his arms. “Go ahead Mouri, fill us in on your suspicion.”

“Check out his left ankle Inspector, I’m sure you’ll find something quite revealing.”

Tim looked to the guests, checking to see how everyone would react to this latest development.

“What am I supposed to be looking for,” Juzo asked just as he caught sight of the small hole. “Is that what I think it is?”

“That’s right,” Conan said. “It’s the entry wound of a small poisoned blade, such as a dart or needle.”

She walked in closer wanting a clear scoop of what was going on, her eyes wondering in anticipation. Unintentionally she gazed over to see him, a little confused at what she saw.

“Is that Conan....what’s he doing behind detective Mouri’s chair,” Silvia questioned in thought. “He has something in his hand...what is it?”

“Poisoned?” Juzo questioned.

“You said it yourself Inspector, the poison found in the glass couldn’t have been enough to kill him,” Conan continued with a slight pause. “But with the use of two separate poisons, bringing them together might just get the job done.”

Tim continued to observe the crowd, looking for any unexpected reactions to what was being said. Aiyke pulled out her phone to make a call, while a man a few feet from her began shaking. This was an eye opener.

“What’s up with that guy....could he some how be involved?” Tim thought to himself.

“I see where you’re going with this theory, but how did the killer manage to hit them in the ankle?”

“Using a blowgun,” Conan replied through the tie. “If you check the two trash bins over there you should find the two halves of a Fukiya blowgun.”

“I’ll look right into that.” Takagi said before running over.

“That’s all good and said,” Inspector Megure commented still not one hundred percent in. “But that dosen’t explain how the culprit would be able to remove such a small object after impact.”

“Don’t worry Megure, that’s not it,” Conan informed. “Tim, why don’t you show Inspector Megure what you found in the trash.”

Tim walked over, pulling out the fishing wire as he did.

“I found this in the trash bin to the right,” Tim informed. “I recognize the odor on the end of it, some kind of Botulinum toxin.”

Within the second Wataru came back into the fold, holding out the two halves of the blowgun.

“It was in the trash, just like he said Inspector.”

“I want that blowgun examined for DNA samples,” Juzo said. “If we’re lucky the killer might have left behind some silva.”

“Right away.” Wataru said.

“Great job Kogoro, can’t say how much you’ve impressed me.”

“Just doing my job Inspector.” Conan replied.

He knew it was coming, he had felt it all evening. The light flashed upon the table, flickering off of the empty glass. Thinking off his feet Tim lunged forward.

“Kogoro get down!!!”

He tackled him from the chair, grabbing Conan and burying him in his arms before jumping behind one of the pillars.

“What’s going on?!” Conan exclaimed.

His question was answered not even a second later. The booming sound pounced through the room, the glass from the windows caving in from the force. Everyone ducking for cover as the rain began, bullets flying from above.

“Megure look out!!” Wataru shouted before pulling him to the ground barely dodging a few incoming bullets.

Tim looked from behind the pillar in disgust, his eyes widening at what was to come. Three mini missiles flew in from the broken windows, heading in separate directions.

“Conan, close your eyes.” Tim instructed.

He did as told, feeling his body lifted from upon the ground. Tim grabbed Kogoro as well, racing away from the zipping missile. It crashed down blasting part of the wall open as many screams can be heard, the other two touching down as well. Tim came to a stop after evading the explosion, looking up to see another missile flying through the window.

“I don’t think so.”

He reached into his jacket slinging a birdrang upward. It exploded in mid air, the impact itself sending him flying back to the wall. He opened his eyes a few seconds later, his vision blurred from the fall. The screaming came to a stop after the shooting ended. Conan pushed up from where he lay, walking over to where Tim sat up against the wall.

“You ok?” Tim asked.

“Yea, I’m fine,” Conan replied. “What about you?”

“I might have a headache in the morning, but I’ll live.”

Wataru and Inspector Megure pushed back to their feet, looking around to see the havoc left behind.

“Inspector...what just happened?” Wataru questioned.

‘I don’t know,” Megure replied. “I think we better go around and make sure everyone is ok.”

Tim slowly maneuvered himself up, feeling a sharp soreness on his left side.

“You knew something was going to happen, that’s why you kept looking around so much,” Conan said. “How did you know?”

“Just call it instinct,” Tim replied. “I’ve had assassins come after me on multiple occasions, you kinda get a sixth sense for that type of thing after awhile.”

“But how,” Conan questioned. “You knew exactly when the shooting was going to happen, no instinct is that good.”

“You’re right in that regard Shinichi,” Tim agreed. “It was actually the lighting that tipped me off.”

“Lighting?”

“Whoever was the shooter probably used a rifle,” Tim said. “The lighting from the scope bounced off of a cup alerting me someone was taking aim.”

“Conan, Tim,” Wataru said walking up to the two. “Are you both ok?

“We’re fine, though I’m not sure about everyone else,” Tim said turning to face him. “If it’s alright with you, Conan and I would be more than willing to help assist the wounded.”

“That’s well appreciated.... by the way,” Wataru said with a smile. “Nice move back there.”

“Excuse me?”

“You know, when you knocked detective Mouri from the gun fire.”

“Ditto, you did a handy job in saving the Inspector’s life.”

The three of them turned as foot steps headed into their direction, Shoji the one to approach.

“Wow, that was so crazy!”

“Did you find anyone hurt?” Tim asked.

“From what I can tell no,” Shoji replied with a turn. “But some people already left through that opened wall.”

Damn.” Conan muttered.

“Officer Takagi do you still have the blowgun parts?” Tim asked.

“I’m sorry,” Wataru apologized. “But it must have got lost with all the commotion that was going on.”

“The crime scene has been destroyed, we lost evidence, and the culprit could already be gone,” Tim thought to himself beginning to pace. “With all that’s happened I think it’s safe to assume we’re dealing with more than one person.”  

Wataru walked over, kneeling down to check on the still laying Kogoro.

“Is he ok?” Yoko asked.

“He’s fine, just unconscious.”

“It looks like no one was hurt,” Conan said looking around to see everyone getting back to their feet. “I guess we were fortunate.”

“Maybe....” Tim said.

Conan looked up at him, not entirely sure what he meant by that comment.

“Maybe,” Conan questioned. “If it wasn’t a little luck no one was hurt, then what?”

Tim skimmed the room for any who may have left when the explosions took place. As expected many were already gone. He put his hand to the wall, closing his eyes in thought. Conan noticing this walked up to the side of him, leaning his back to the wall in wait. She watched the two from afar, more intrigued yet confused than before
.

“First you had the kid hiding behind the chair with some weird device, then Tim...” Silvia thought to herself. “He knew to duck for cover before the gun fire even started......who exactly are these two?”

His eyes slowly opened, popping up in surprise from the destruction that surround him.

“Inspector Megure what happened?!” Kogoro asked running over.

“We were shot at,” Juzo answered. “First by bullets then by a rocket launcher of some kind, just be thankful Tim was there to save you.”

“Save me?” Kogoro questioned.

“Let me guess, you were asleep through it all?”

“I’m not sure,” Kogoro said looking up. “But I’m pretty sure I’d remember if someone was shooting at me.”

He pushed up from the wall after gathering his thoughts, looking to his side to find Conan.

“Obviously something’s not sitting right with you,” Conan said uncrossing his arms. “You’re the expert in this department, from your knowledge and experience what do you think is going on?”

“No one was hurt.”

“Correct.”

“I think that was the point.”

“Huh, why would somebody shoot just to scare us,” Conan questioned glimpsing up at him. “That dosen’t make any sense.”

“No one who proclaims themself a sniper is going to miss that much.” Tim said. “This was not only an act to destroy the evidence of the scene, but probably to send a message.”

“A message?”

“It’s only a hunch at this point, but I’m willing to bet tonights events were pre planned a good deal ahead of time,” Tim said. “Up to the very last distinct detail.”

“Guess it’s up to us to find out the who and why.” Conan said.

“We’ll leave the police to check the serial numbers on the bullets, I have something I need to check out myself.” Tim said looking up to the shattered window.

“You think you know where the shooter was?” Conan asked.

“Based from the moons position and the direction the lighting of the scope I saw,” Tim began. “I should be able to pin point where the sniper shot from.”

“Good, that might gain us some headway if you’re able to find something.”

“I’ll check it out later tonight,” Tim said looking back to Conan. “I’ll call if I find anything.”

Kogoro walked over the next second, still rather drossy from the shot he took to the back of the neck.

“I see you’re ok,” Kogoro said. “Wouldn’t want to go home and explain to Ran if anything had happened to you.”

“Had a couple close calls, but no damage done.”

“Where’s Tim,” Kogoro asked looking from one side to the other. “I thought he was with you.”

“What are you talking about, he’s right...” Conan said turning to see he was gone. “He must have left.”

“He must of had something to do,” Kogoro said. “I’m going to discuss some of the details with Megure, we’ll go once I finish.”

“Take your time,” Conan said not bothered by it one bit. “I’m not in a rush.”

They remained at the dance center for the next forty minutes, Conan spending that time digging through the rubble, trying to recover any evidence that could prove valuable. To his misfortune he wasn’t able to uncover anything. The ride home was a quiet one. Losing the evidence to an explosion was one thing, but what was the whole shooting about?

“It’s now clear why the culprit was so sloppy in hiding the items,” Conan thought sitting back. “They knew missiles were to hit the center, ridding the site of any evidence
left behind.”

He closed his eyes, calming his nerves from the days trails. They arrived back to the house, tireously making their way up the stairs. Kogoro opened the front door, both walking in to see Ran sitting down infront of the table watching the news.

“It took you two long enough, hope you remembered to get the supplies for dinner.” Ran said turning around to see them empty handed.

Conan gulped, knowing they had just dropped a bomb on their alibi for the night.
“You didn’t go to the store, did you,” Ran questioned . “So where were you two?”

“Can’t believe we left the bags in the cab!!” Kogoro exclaimed.

“Hurry Kogoro,” Conan said slipping his shoes back on. “If we hurry we might be able to catch him!”

Ran jumped to her feet as the two of them raced out of the door.

“Dad, Conan!!!” Ran shouted after them.

“Don’t worry Ran we’ll be back as soon as possible.” Conan called back.

She crossed her arms as the down stairs door closed.

“Who leaves their groceries in the back of a cab, I doubt that’s where they’ve been all evening.”

He waited for hours to pass before returning back to where it all took place, standing atop the highest building to gain a better view of the different angles pointing to the entry way of the window.

“The moon was a little more to the right earlier, that must mean the sniper camped down on either of those two.”

Red Robin glided down to the first building, pulling a mini light from his belt to search the roof. He started with the ground, looking for anything that could have possibly been left behind.

“Dosen’t look like there’s anything here out of the ordinary.”

He then flashed the light light to the ledge, noticing a small sitting object. Red Robin moved in, coming to find a single bullet resting on top of a red feather. He switched the light off while tucking it into place.

“This is the same type of bullet that was used in the shooting,” Red Robin said bringing the bullet into his hand. “Did the shooter intentionally leave this behind?”

He grabbed the red feather as well, placing them both into a secure spot in his utility belt.

“The night is young, but I think it would be best if I took the acquired items back to the base to run some tests.”

He pulled his grappler from his side, springing into the night.

The pavement was wet and sleek from the rain which continued to come down from the previous two hours. She kept the hood tight over her head, walking in through the front doors. She came to a stop to the side of the classroom door, standing in wait. It didn’t take long for her to see him trotting up the hall along side the lockers.

“Heard about how your little party went,” Ai said as he stopped infront of her. “You look exhausted, did you get any sleep?”

“I got plenty of that,” Conan replied. “Just a little stressed is all.”

“I’m betting last night has something to do with that,” Ai said. “So what exactly happened?”

“A man was poisoned, unfortunately someone blasted the whole scene as well as any evidence with the use of a missile launcher,” Conan said taking a deep breath while leaning up to the wall next to her. “I’m still stuck in the department of why.”

“Did anyone die or get hurt?” Ai asked.

“No, and that’s what so suspicious.”

“Did you ever consider they might have been going for one target,” Ai asked speculating. “Maybe they couldn’t get a clear shot.”

“Doubt it, the bullets were flying in all directions,” Conan said in disagreement. “It seemed more random, like they were trying to get everyone riled up.”

“Why would someone want to do that?”

“I don’t know....not yet anyway.”

The two of them turned to see their friends approaching from the other end of the hall. Ai finally removed the hood from her head, walking into class just as they arrived.

“How long were you guys waiting?” Genta asked.

“Not very long.” Conan answered.

“Do you have any idea what we’re doing in class today?” Mitsuhiko asked.

“Anything but notes, I can’t take another day of it.” Conan said before taking to his seat.

“Attention everyone,” Sumiko said stepping to the front of the room. “Show and tell will begin tommarrow.”

“But I thought we were waiting until Friday.” Genta said.

“If we wait that long we might not get through everyone.”

“She makes a good point.” Conan said agreeing with this.

To his delight most of class was spent critiquing arts of other students who came to visit their room. Conan smiled down at his watch as class neared it’s end.

“Hey Conan, guess what?” Ayumi asked from behind.

“What?”

“I know what I’m going to bring for show and tell.”

“Oh yea,” Conan said with a turn. “What are you planning on bringing.”

“It’s a secret.”

He faced back to the front, knowing he should have expected that.

“Atleast she knows what she’s bringing.” Conan said to himself.

Class ended within the next few minutes. Once out they all hurried home, for the rain had picked up quite a bit as the day progressed. He arrived back, the water dripping down from the sides of his face as he made his way up the stairs. He pushed the front door open to find Kogoro talking with someone on the phone. He thought nothing of it at first. His tone and posture said it all, something was wrong. Kogoro finished with his conversation a few seconds later.

“Who was that?” Conan asked.

“Inspector Megure,” Kogoro replied setting the phone down. “Another officer was killed, they found his body stashed in a storage room up at the station.”

“What,” Conan jumped in disbelief. “How was he killed?”

“The same as the last,” Kogoro answered. “One bullet to the leg with many blade wounds.”

“Did the killer happen to leave another note?” Conan asked.

“As a matter a fact he did.”

“What did it say?”

“I haven’t been told that yet,” Kogoro said heading for the door. “I’m to meet Megure at once down at the station.”

“Can I come,” Conan asked cheerfully. “I promise I’ll be good.”

“Don’t see why not, just stick to the sides when we get there.”

“Yes sir.” Conan said with a bow.

Intensity filled the room. Every strike with power and extreme control, her body being put to the limit. She took one last jab at the punching bag, making sure it landed right inbetween the numbers. The final whistle was blown just as she pulled back. Her team mates gathered around to congratulate her on yet another superb training session.

“Great job Ran, I’m sure you’ll make it to the finals again.” One said.

“We’ll be there to cheer you on.” Another added.

“Thanks for all the support,” Ran acknowledged. “But I’m sure some of you have just as great of a shot at making it to the finals, all you have to do is believe in yourself.”

They took her words to heart as they headed to the locker room to call it a day. She spent a little time in the back, washing her face after changing back into her school clothes. Ran was the last to leave, walking down the whistling empty hall, turning the last corner walk to see the exit. Someone stepped from behind. Out of instinct she swung around with a knife hand only to come to a stop right near his neck.

“Tim...what are you still doing here,” Ran asked lowering her hand. “School was over hours ago.”

“Conan said you were good, decided I’d come watch you practice,” Tim replied. “I must say Ran, you really impressed me.”

“Are you sure you’re not just trying to get on my good side?” Ran asked crossing her arms.

He smiled at this.

“I guess it’s a little of both,” Tim honestly replied. “Let me walk you home, I need to tell Conan something....if it’s ok with you.”

Ran thought about it for a second. She swiftly turned to for the exit a second later. Tim lifted a brow, getting a mixed signal.

“Aren’t you coming?” Ran asked looking back at him with an accepting look.

“Yes, ofcourse.” Tim said walking up to the side of her.

They remained quiet as they walked. The rain had finally come to a stop, though the clouds still covered up most of the sky. Another block was past, another corner turned. Ran glimpsed over to see him staring to the ground as they walked. She smiled, deciding she’d start a conversation.

“So how is Japan compared to Gotham?” Ran asked.

“Different.” Tim replied still looking to the ground.

She could tell by his moody reply that something was on his mind.

“Tim are you ok,” Ran asked. “Is everything alright.”

“It’s about last night,” Tim said. “I just don’t understand why we were shot at.”

“Shot at,” Ran questioned. “What are you talking about?”

“Didn’t Conan or your father tell you,” Tim asked finally looking to her. “Someone using a rifle trashed the down town dance center last night, and if that wasn’t enough they fired down with a rocket launcher.”

“So that’s where they were,” Ran said with a snarky tone. “I knew those two were lying to me about leaving the groceries in the cab.”

“What, you mean to tell me they didn’t tell you?” Tim asked.

She nodded.

“Huh, I wonder why that is.” Tim said bringing a hand to his chin.

Ran moved in closer, playfully nudging him on his arm.

“Well you’re here, so maybe you can tell me.”

He gave her the full scoop of what had happened, keeping out the obvious details ofcourse. They arrived infront of her house, coming to a stop a few yards from the door.

“Thanks for walking me home and telling me what happened yesterday night.”

“No problem, I don’t see what’s wrong in you knowing,” Tim said. “I’m pretty sure they had a good reason for not telling you.”

“I doubt it,” Ran said with the slight tap of her foot. “Wait here a minute, I’ll go see if Conan has arrived home.”

With that Ran headed inside. Tim observed the surroundings as he waited, looking to see a few humming birds hanging up on the branches. Ran returned shortly after, standing in the door way.

“He isn’t home yet.”

“That’s fine,” Tim said turning to walk “I’ll catch him later.”

He stashed his hands into his pocket, making his way to the sidewalk. Ran stepped from the door coming to an alternative.

“Tim wait,” She called out causing him to turn around. “Would you be interested in coming in, you could wait for him upstairs.”

Tim smiled, knowing he had made progress.

“As much as I’d love to, I have a lot to attend to back at the apartment,” Tim replied. “But thanks for offering... guess I’ll see you later.”

“Hey, maybe we could sit together at lunch tommarrow.” Ran suggested.

“Can’t, I won’t be at school tommarrow.” Tim replied. “But that’s something I’m open to when I come back, tell Conan and your Dad I said hi.”

“I will.” Ran said before closing the door and heading back up.

Tim made his way down the street, knowing he had a lot to do.

“Let’s hope that bullet and feather I found have something we can use to help shed some light on this cold case.”

Another two hours had gone by before they pulled back up. It was now dark at this pont. Kogoro and Conan headed in, delighted to find dinner was already finished.

“Where have you two been for the past few hours?” Ran asked stepping out from the kitchen.

“The police station,” Kogoro replied. “Another cop was killed, they found his body in the storage room.”

“I can’t believe it,” Ran said in shock. “How did he die?”

“Same as the last.” Kogoro said.

“Ran how did your day go?” Conan asked changing the subject.

“It was fine,” Ran replied. “Just stayed after for my karate session, then came home and fixed dinner.”

“It sure does smell good.” Conan commented while slipping out of his shoes.

The rest of the evening was a casual one. Ran decided not to confront them about the previous night, not after hearing the news about another dead cop. But ofcourse it was at the top of her list of things to do. Conan took to his room a little after nine, pulling out his phone and dialing his number.

“What’s up Kudo.” Tim answered on the other end.

“Another cop was found dead at the station today,” Conan informed. “He was killed and laid out exactly the same as the last.”

“That’s just swell,” Tim said less than enthusiastic. “Was there another note pinned to him?”

“Sure was,” Conan replied. “It said 'Your response in not taking out the outsider is cemented!! Now the man of the city, witness to all crimes, shall die’.”

Silence came between the two for moments to come.

“What about you,” Conan asked. “Did you find where the sniper shot from?”

“Yep, they even left behind a few ornaments,” Tim informed. “A bullet and a red feather.”

“Did you check them for any finger prints....DNA?” Conan asked.

“Came up negative I’m afraid.” Tim replied.

“Why would the shooter leave behind a bullet and a feather?”

“That’s for us to find out,” Tim said. “Get some sleep Shinichi, we have some work to do come tommarrow.”

To Be Continued


Converting /tmp/phpjj1zJs to /dev/stdout