Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ The Hidden Chamber ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Detective Prince
Chapter 27
The Hidden Chamber

He'd awoken early that morning, sitting to the side of the front door. He tied the laces to his left shoe, laying his head to the wall once finished. What could be seen of the sun peaked through the curtain, lighting up a small portion of his face. His eyes closed, rehashing the events of the previous night through his mind.

"Man of the city.....witness to all crimes," Conan thought to himself. "Who could  the note have been referring to?"

It was becoming urgent. If he didn't find out soon someone else was to die, and by the sound of it someone of high importance. He sat there awhile longer, with yet another inner growing discomfort coming to mind. Was this the day he’d be open up to his friends about why he hasn’t been around as much, that he’s been hanging with Drake?

“I think it’s time they know.....better check with Tim and make sure it’s ok with him
first.”

Conan pushed up from the ground, deciding he’d watch a little TV before going to school. He kept to the news, looking to see if there was an update on the dance center incident. All he got was revisited details he’d already known.

“Guess that’s a little expected,” Conan said flipping to yet another channel covering the news. “And now I get a look at the weather, perfect.”

He sat for another hour, hoping to see an update on the matter. Half his mind on the television, the other in a separate conscious state of piecing everything together. Ran was the next to awake, coming from her room already fully dressed.

“You’re up rather early.” Ran said looking to see him in front of the TV.

“Just watching the morning cartoon,” Conan said flipping the channel. “You’re up pretty early to, school dosen’t start for you for another hour and twenty.”

“I’m going in to finish up an assignment,” Ran said. “Didn’t quite finish it yesterday.”

“Which class?”

“Math.” Ran replied while heading to the bathroom.

She washed her face, brushing her teeth once finished. Conan still sat infront of the TV when she walked out to leave.

“See you after school,” Ran said opening the front door. “What do you want for dinner tonight?”

“Anything will do.” Conan answered not really paying attention.

The door closed in the following seconds, leaving him to his thoughts once again. He continued to think about the last message given. How much time did they have before the killer struck again? Was the target someone he knew? Without realizing it an hour past just like that. Conan clicked off the TV, tossing his bag over his shoulders before walking out.

“Hopefully Tim’s made some progress, I’m totally stumped.”

He gazed up at the morning sky as he walked, knowing it was going to be a beautiful one. He arrived to the front of the school, Mitsuhiko being the only of his friends present.

“Hey Conan, did you hear about Alligator Mountain?”

“What’s that,” Conan asked. “The name of a book or something?”

“It’s actually the name of a movie,” Mitsuhiko corrected. “It hits theaters next week, we should all go together.”

“I don’t see why not.”

“You ready for the big day in class?!” Mitsuhiko asked in excitement.

“What now?” Conan asked a little confused.

“Show and tell, we start today remember.”

“Oh yea,” Conan said with a laugh. “Good thing I packed it last night, this whole morning has been pretty mind consuming for me.”

“Not sure what that means,” Mitsuhiko said gripping the straps to his bag. “Maybe presenting what you brought will help clear your head.”

“Maybe you’re right,” Conan said looking to the main doors. “Let’s head to class early, if we’re lucky we might be able to convince Ms. Kobayashi to let us go last.”

“Good thinking,” Mitsuhiko said in high agreement. “I hate being one of the first to go.”

With that Conan and Mitsuhiko hustled to class. Ms. Kobayashi sat at the front desk, looking over a pile of papers as the two slowly approached.

“Good morning Ms. Kobayashi.” Mitsuhiko said grabbing her attention.

She looked from the papers to see the two big smiles.

“And how are you two doing on this lovely day?” Sumiko asked.

“Couldn’t be better,” Conan replied. “Mitsuhiko and I were wondering if you could, well....let us present what we brought last.”

“Sorry boys,” Sumiko said causing both of their shoulders to drop. “I already printed out a sheet with the order.”

“Darn,” Mitsuhiko said in disappointment. “I’m not first, am I?”

“No, you happen to be listed as eighth,” Sumiko replied  then turning to Conan. “And if it makes you feel any better you’re right after him.”

“Cool, those aren’t bad spots.” Conan said.

“Indeed they’re not.” Sumiko said.

“I guess we’ll let you get back to grading those papers,” Mitsuhiko said while looking back to Conan. “We still have five minutes until class starts, think we should go find the others?”

“Nah, we’ll wait for them here.” Conan replied. “There’s no need to when we’ll be coming back here anyway.”

“Good point.”

Both Conan and Mitsuhiko headed to their seats, sitting in wait as the other students entered the room in the minutes that followed. Conan reached into his bag pulling out a note book and pencil, deciding to work a new angle on the case.

“Maybe if I rearrange the letters found in the note I might find something....a hidden message even.”

Conan
did this for the next few minutes. From the side of his eye he could see Ai looking over every few seconds. Sadly he gained no further insight on who the killer may be. He took a deep, releasing just as calmly.

“I guess there is no hidden message, or.....I’m just not thinking reflexive enough,” Conan thought while dropping
the pencil to the side of his book. “But what is the creature of the night they wrote of, is it figurative...symbolic maybe?”

His thoughts were cut to an end when Sumiko stepped to the front of the room, everyone giving her their full attention.

“I hope you all put some thought into what you brought, so who’s ready to get started?”

Most everyones hands sprung to the air, shouting out in excitement. Once Sumiko got everyone to quiet down she grabbed the list from her desk, reading out the first name.

“Genta, you will be the first to go,” Sumiko lowering the paper. “Are you ready to share.”

“Most defiantly!”  

He went for his bag, taking a couple seconds to dig through it.

“This should be good.” Conan thought to himself.

After a few more seconds of fiddling around with his bag he yanked out a pair of monster gloves, along with a matching hat. He walked to the front of the room while placing the three items on.

“That’s really cool Genta,” Sumiko said as he stopped at the front. “Mind telling the class what you have on?”

“This is the new Gamora gloves, they even make noise.” Genta said smashing the gloves together which gave off a roar. “Pretty cool huh?!”

“Does the hat do anything?” Someone asked from the back row.

“No, it’s just for show.” Genta replied.

He spoke a little longer about his gloves and hat, gaining a few more questions. Conan slouched forward as others began to present, his mind still on the killings. He tried to stay focused but found his mind wondering back every few seconds. After nearly an hour Mitsuhiko turn had arrived, alerting him it was almost his time.

“This should be interesting.”

Mitsuhiko took center stage, pulling a few items from the depths of his bag. He pieced them together as quickly as he could, revealing a telescope once finished.

“Very interesting choice Mitsuhiko,” Sumiko commented. “How long have you had it?”

“For about three months now,” Mitsuhiko replied. “It works wonders come night.”

“Can we take a peak through it?” Ayumi politely asked.

“Of course,” Mitsuhiko nodded. “Everyone can have a look.”

Conan sat back, being the only one not to jump from his seat. Ai noticed this.

“What’s wrong with him today,” Ai questioned.  “Shinichi is usually at least half supportive of showing interest when it comes to these things.”

This lasted for about three minutes, giving Conan enough time to rehearse what he was going to say. Sumiko looked into his direction, smiling as she did.

“Ok Conan, it’s your turn.”

He slipped down from his seat, digging into his bag to pull out a soccer ball. He made his way to the front, many not very thrilled at what they saw.

“I see you put some thought into what to bring.” Ai stated with sarcasm as he passed her desk.

“Let’s see you do better.” Conan said glimpsing back.

He came to a stop once reaching the front, smiling to the stale faces.

“So...I brought this ball to show.” Conan said with a laugh.

“Boo,” Genta huffed. “We see you with that all the time.”

“Yea.” Another of his classmates said in agreement.

“Right, but I learned some new moves,” Conan said juggling the ball from one foot to the other. “How cool is that?”

“Boring.” Someone said from the back row.

Sumiko quickly came to his defense.

“That’s enough, we’re not here to put each other down,” Sumiko said. “Do you have anything else to add Conan?”

He shook his head from side to side.

“Alright class, let’s give Conan an applaud for at least trying.”

With that they began clapping as he made his way to his seat.

“Rough crowd.” Conan thought to himself somewhat amused by it all.

He sat back down, looking over to see the dashing smirk across her lips. He ignored Ai as best he could, knowing she still had to go.

“I wonder what Haibara brought,” Conan questioned. “Probably something Agasa came up with.”

He didn’t have to wait much longer to find out, for her turn to share had come. Ai slowly made her way to the front, swaying her hair to the side when turning to face the class. She removed the bag from her shoulders, reaching in and pulling it out. Conan watched on, never expecting she’d bring something like that. She pulled the stuffed bear to her chest, holding it with much care.

“So what would you like to say about what you brought?”

“...This is my prized possession, it was given to me by someone very special.” Ai answered moving it up her chest ever so slightly.

The room fell silent for the next few seconds.

“Is that all you have to say?”

Ai nodded, placing the stuffed bear back into her bag while heading to her seat. Conan looked over, the smirk from before flashing toward him once more.

“I’ll admit, I didn’t see that coming,” Conan thought sitting up. “I doubt any of us did.”

A few more students presented, Conan looking to the clock to see that class was
nearing it’s end. He tapped his finger to the desk to help pass the time which seemed to be getting slower. They finally arrived to the last person, Conan more than delighted that they were almost done.

“Alright Ayumi, are you ready?” Ms. Kobayashi asked.

She nervously nodded before stepping down from her desk. Conan watched as she made her way to the front, raising a brow as she did.

“I don’t see her holding anything,” Conan said. “What exactly is she supposed to present to us?”

Ayumi came to a stop in front of the room. She stared to the ground, almost as if she was waiting for something. Sumiko came to her side, whispering something into her ear. Once finished she looked to the class.

“Everyone stay seated,” Sumiko instructed. “I’ll be right back.”

Ayumi kept her eyes to the ground, the room more silent then it had been all day. Conan sat up in his chair. What exactly was going on.

“Why did Ms. Kobayashi just leave the room, and why dosen’t Yoshida have something to share with us?”

Sumiko arrived back shortly after, standing in the entryway.

“Alright class, everyone to their feet,” Sumiko said with a smile. “We have a guest.”

“Guest?” Conan questioned jumping down from his chair.

“Ok Ayumi, the floor is yours.”

Her eyes shifted from the ground back to her classmates, still rather nervous.

“Well....I couldn’t really think of an item to bring, so I asked a friend to come in.” Ayumi began as the guest stepped into the room.

Conan’s eyes flew wide, never expecting this.

“This is my good friend Tim Wayne,” Ayumi continued. “He’s all the way from a place called Gotham across the globe.”

“Great to meet you all,” Tim said giving everyone a look. “Though I will say I do recognize a few faces.”

“Hey Tim, do you remember me?” Genta asked raising his hand.

“Of course I do,” Tim replied. “It’s good to see you again.”

“Go on Ayumi,” Sumiko said. “Tell us a little about your friend.”

She thought about it for a second, thinking up what she was to say. His hand fell to her left shoulder. She looked up to see him with a comforting smile.

“Don’t be nervous, I’m right here.” Tim whispered.

Ayumi smiled back, turning to face the class once more.

“He’s smart, strong, and really nice.” Ayumi managed to come up with.

“Now that wasn’t so hard was it?” Ms. Kobayashi asked.

Ayumi shook her head from side to side in response.

“Mr. Wayne would you be open to the children asking you any questions they may have?” Sumiko asked.

“Not at all, that’s just fine with me.” Tim replied.

“I’ve got one.” A boy in the second row said raising his hand.

“Go ahead, I’m listening.”

“Can you show us something cool?”

He took a step back, not really sure how to respond to his question. Conan taking notice of Tim’s slight hesitation began to giggle, burying his head in between his hands. Tim looked his way to see this.

“Great.....wasn’t even aware Kudo was in this class,” Tim thought to himself turning back to the rest of the students. “What am I supposed to show them, I can’t think of anything.”

Within the next second Conan peaked up, lifting his hand nice and high.

“What’s he up to now.”  Tim said wondering if he should even call on him.

“I have a suggestion.” Conan said waving his hand back and forth. “Why don’t you give us a demonstration of your incredible marksmanship skills.”

“How do you know he’s a good marksman?” Mitsuhiko asked.

“I saw him tossing a couple horseshoes in the park the other day,” Conan replied. “He was dead on target.”

Tim put a hand to his face, shaking it from one side to the other.

“Why exactly
is he doing this?”

“But how is that supposed to work,” Genta said. “We don’t have any horseshoes.”

“We don’t have to use horseshoes,” Conan explained. “Does anyone have an apple or orange?”

“I do!” One of his classmates yelled.

They reached into their bag pulling the orange from their lunch box, walking over and handing it to Conan. He took it to one of the empty desks in the back row, setting it down.

“Now all we need is a pencil, which I happen to be carrying,” Conan said removing it from his pocket. “Now here comes the fun part.”

“Fun part?” Tim questioned.

“You’re going to take this pencil and throw it into the orange from where you stand.”

“Are you crazy,” Tim said with a laugh. “Someone could get hurt, that’s the last thing I’d want to happen.”

“He’s right Conan, it’s much to dangerous.” Sumiko said in agreement.

“Not if everyone comes to the front,” Conan protested. “I mean how cool would it be to see him hit an orange from all the way over here?”

“I’d love to see it.” Ayumi said.

“So would we!” The rest of the class added.

“Who is he, Emperor Charisma now?” Tim thought to himself.

Sumiko thought about it for a second,
everyone leaving their seats heading to the front to vouch for what Conan had proposed. Ai was the last one to make it to the front, not at all interested in leaving her seat for the second time. It didn’t take long for them to convince her.

“Alright, but everyone be sure to stay behind him,” Sumiko instructed. “We don’t want an accident to occur.”

“This should be good, I’ve only seen something like this in the movies.” Genta said with excitement.

“Alright hot shot,” Conan said handing him the pencil. “Show us what you’ve got.”

Tim brought the pencil to his eyes, finding it to be rather dull.

“Sorry,” Tim apologized handing it back. “But this pencil is just not going to work, it’s not sharp enough.”

“I’ll take care of that,” Mitsuhiko said grabbing the pencil. “It will be good as new in no time.”

Conan playfully elbowed him to his leg, looking up to him with a grin.

“Don’t worry Tim, the detective boys have your back.” Conan said assuringly.

“You dingbat, are you trying to make people suspicions of me?” Tim whispered down.

He ignored him, waiting for Mitsuhiko who arrived back with the pencil shortly after.

“This should do it,” Mitsuhiko said handing him the pencil. “Is there anything else you need help with.”

“No, this will do.”

Everyone took to their position as he took aim. He made sure everything was in place, that his angle was perfect. The room was filled with silence, yet much anticipation. Then it struck, slightly tampering his focus. He looked to his side to see a giggling Conan.

“What’s so funny now?” Tim asked looking down to him.

“Would you throw the pencil already,” Conan said struggling to contain his laughter. “You’re making it seem as if it’s a life or death situation.”

His eyes darkened, giving him a very daring look.

“Your wish is my command.”

With his eyes still locked with Conan’s, he slinged the pencil from his hand with the snap of his wrist. They gasped at what they saw. Conan alerted by their reaction quickly swung his head to the orange to find the pencil drilled into the center of it.

“Awesome!!!” Genta yelled out.

“And he did it without even looking!” Mitsuhiko added just as impressed.

“Let’s go get a close up!” Ayumi said skipping over toward the back row.

The rest of the students followed close behind except for Conan who just crossed his arms.

“Show off.” Conan muttered as Tim kneeled down to his side.

“Was that good enough for you Shinichi,” Tim brashly stated. “Anything else you’d like me to share with your friends?”

“Leave me alone.”

Tim smiled, standing back to his feet in the process.

“Why don’t we give Mr. Wayne a round of applauds for his amazing talent.” Sumiko said clapping.

Everyone doing the same. Conan simply rolled his eyes, knowing Tim was still probably looking down at him.

“He sure does have a way of turning the tables, even when it’s not dealing with criminals.”

It hadn’t quite gone through the whole way, but it was deep none the less. There was no denying the skill he had. Ai looked back to the front to see him talking with Ms. Kobayashi, feeling there was something hidden about him, something you’d only see in a select few. She didn’t know what, but wanted to find out.

“He was able to hit the orange all the way from over there without even looking.....where did he pick up the skills to make it look so simple?”

She continued to watch him. Ayumi walked up to the side of her, tapping the left side of her shoulder.

“Is everything ok, is something bothering you?” Ayumi asked with concern.

“I’m fine,” Ai replied. “It’s just one of those days.”

Conan made his way over the next second, removing the pencil from the orange. He then walked over grabbing some kleenex to rub it down.

“So what did you think Conan,” Genta asked. “Wasn’t that about one of the coolest things you’ve ever seen?!”

“Of course,” Conan said finishing up with his pencil. “It’s not every day you get to see something like that.”

The final bell of the day rang within the next few minutes, everyone waving to him as they left the room.

“Thanks again for coming,” Sumiko thanked. “I’m sure all the children appreciated your time put in.”

“No problem, though I’d say I enjoyed myself just as much as they did.”

He felt a tug at his left wrist a second later, looking to see Ayumi gazing up to him with those calming eyes of hers.

“What’s wrong?” Tim asked.

“You should come with my friends and I,” Ayumi replied. “It’s not often we get the chance to walk with you after school.”

He looked back to Sumiko with the nod of his head, turning back to Ayumi.

“Alright Ayumi, you lead the way.”

“Great!”

They headed out of the classroom, walking down the hall which was still crowded with students. He looked to one of the doors, grabbing his interest enough to cause him to come to a stop. It was made of metal, not to mention very thick. Ayumi stopped as well, looking up at him.

“What’s wrong?”

“What’s behind this door door,” Tim asked noticing a small eye hole. “Didn’t know they had doors like this in schools.”

“That’s where they keep all the frozen stuff.” Ayumi replied.

“Frozen stuff?”

“A lot of chemicals that need to maintain a certain tempature,” Ayumi said. “Pretty much everything in there is for the science department.”

“You ever been in there yourself?” Tim asked.

“Kids aren’t allowed to,” Ayumi informed. “All I know is the controls for changing the tempature are located in the main office right behind the first door to the right.”

“You sure do know a lot for being just a kid, you’re a smart one alright.” Tim complimented.

She couldn’t help but blush.

“Come on, we better hurry before your friends leave us behind.”

They continued down the hall, exiting through the front doors where they found the others waiting down by the sidewalk. Ayumi raced over with Tim slowly advancing behind.

“Cool, you brought Tim with you.” Genta said.

“We were wondering what the hold up was.” Mitsuhiko said.

“You guys really have a nice school,” Tim said as they all began waking. “It was a delight to be able to visit.”

“We were glad to have you.” Mitsuhiko said. “So what made you decide to come, did Ayumi call you.”

“It was actually her mother who did.” Tim replied.

“She was the one who gave me the idea.” Ayumi admitted.

“That must be who he was talking with the other night.”

“You really need to show us that pencil trick,” Genta said. “How’d  you do it without even looking?!”

“Simple,” Tim pointed. “I already had everything lined out.”

“Lined out, what’s that mean?” Genta asked.

“I had my shoulders lined up with the target,” Tim explained. “I’d already measured out how far and how much power I’d need to put on the pencil for it to reach and hit home.”

“How long does it take to master that?” Mitsuhiko asked.  

“Can’t really put a time frame on it,” Tim replied “It varies from person, depending solely on natural talent and effort.”

“Since arriving here have you made any friends?” Ayumi asked.

“Hmm.....I guess Conan is the only guy I really hang out with.” Tim intentionally said.

Conan’s eyes fled wide, gulping while taking another step.

“Wait,” Genta exclaimed. “You mean to tell me you and Conan have been hanging out!”

“We sure have,” Tim confirmed. “He just loves to play that dungeons and wizards computer game, don’t you Conan?”

“Darn it, I had already planned on telling them myself.”

“How come you didn’t tell us Conan?!” Mitsuhiko asked.

“He was probably trying to hog him for himself.” Ayumi said crossing her arms.

“Wait, it’s not like that guys,” Conan explained. “I was going to tell you.”

“How long has this been going on?” Genta stomped.

“Over two weeks.” Conan softly spoke.

“What!!!”

Tim could only laugh as his friends gave him an ear full. They went back and forth for minutes to come, continuing to walk down each block. He looked over to her, she hadn’t said a thing the whole time he’d arrived. He wasn’t sure what to think of this.

“Psst, hey Conan,” Tim whispered. “I don’t think Shiho likes me very much, she hasn’t said a word or even acknowledged me being here.”

“Shhhh, are you trying to further exploit us,” Conan snapped turning to face him. “It’s Haibara Ai, not Shiho, got it?!”

She turned around, almost sure she had heard her name spoken. The two smiled as she looked their way, Tim leaning back up straight to avoid any further suspicion. She faced back forward, continuing to walk along. Both Conan and Tim sighed out in relief only to hear the sound of terror. Everyone in the group looking toward the west. It echoed through the air, becoming more death stricken with each second.

“Someone is screaming.” Ayumi said.

“You guys stay here, I’ll go and,” Tim began only to have the detective boys zip right past him. “Oh kay then........ guess we’ll all go together.”

He chased after them, following the waves of where the screams came from. They made their way around the block, continuing up the long street, reaching the end. Everything fell to a cold silence. Tim finally caught up, standing behind the five.

“Any idea where the screams came from?” Tim asked.

“There,” Conan pointed still catching his breath. “I think it came from that house.”

Tim looked to see a dark blue house sitting at the end of the street.

“Are you sure?” Tim asked.

“I’m positive,” Conan said reassuringly. “It’s the only house with a window open, how else would the screams have carried on that far?”

Tim gave the rest of the homes a look, confirming what Conan had said. He then checked to make sure the screams they heard hadn’t come from outside.

“Don’t see anyone around but us,” Tim thought to himself looking back to the blue house. “That leaves this house as a  target of interest.”

“Let’s hurry and go check it out,” Mitsuhiko declared. “Someone could be hurt.”

“He’s right, every second is valuable at this point.” Genta added.

“Woh woo woh, hold on a sec,” Tim said waving his hands. “I’ll go check it out, the only thing you guys will be doing is waiting.”

“It seems you haven’t been properly informed,” Genta said. “We’re the detective boys, and we don’t take to the back seat when a crime is in play.”

“Look, I’m sure you’re good detectives but I can’t take the chance of any of you getting hurt.” Tim said.

“We’re pros, we’ll be alright.” Mitsuhiko firmly stated.

Tim put a palm to his face, wondering how he’d get through to them.

“Come on Conan, tell your friends how dangerous.” Tim began removing his hand from his face only to see them already half way to the house.

“Don’t worry Tim.” Conan said still beside him.

“What do you mean don’t worry?”

Conan smiled while looking up to him.

“I’m sure you’ll protect us,” Conan teased while following after the others. “After all you were trained by the best.”

Tim shook his head in disbelief.

“What happened to the good old days when kids just used to play cops and robbers?”

They walked to the side of the house where the window Conan pointed out was located.

“It’s way to high,” Genta said. “We can’t see anything from down here.”

“Maybe Tim could give one of us a boost.” Ayumi suggested.

“Good idea.” Mitsuhiko said.

He arrived to the group a second later, still not convinced they should be here.

“Hey Tim could you give me a boost,” Conan asked. “None of us can see into the house from here.”

“Fine, but if you don’t see anything I want you all to head across the street, deal?” Tim proposed.

“Deal!” They all replied except for Ai who remained mute.

He reached down, grabbing him by his hips while holding him into the air.

“Higher, still can’t see anything.” Conan said.

Tim placed him back to the ground, reaching for his ankles this time.

“Hope you’re good at keeping balance,” Tim said tightening his grip. “Here goes nothing.”

He lifted him up for a second time. Conan took a deep breath just as his head peaked up past the bottom of the glass, bracing himself for anything. It was dark, making it hard to point out what was all in the room. Then he saw it, a sight he’d seen time and time again.

“Hey Conan,” Genta said from below. “What do you see?”

“Dead....there’s a dead body in there,” Conan replied. “Looks like they were shot.”

“Anything else we should know?” Tim asked.

“Hold on,” Conan said looking away from the window and reaching into his pocket. “I’ll take a picture with my phone, that will give us something to give to the police.”

“Clever thinking,” Tim commented. “That way they can get a search warrant.”

He fiddled with the contents in his pocket, finally pulling his phone from it all. He then looked to the window, gasping at what he saw.

“What’s wrong?” Ayumi asked.

“Hurry and call the police,” Conan exclaimed. “Whoever killed that person is still in there!”

“Slow down Conan,” Tim said. “What exactly are you seeing?”

“Nothing,” Conan abruptly replied. “Someone just flipped the blinds shut!”

“Damn!” Tim hissed while lowering Conan back to the ground.

Mitsuhiko was the first to call for the police, while Conan and the others stood in place as he explained the situation to the officer on the other end of the line. Luckily they only waited just over ten minutes for Inspector Megure and a few officers to arrive.

“Hello again Inspector Megure,” Tim greeted as he stepped from the car. “It’s good to see you again, except for the circumstances of course.”

“Tim, I didn’t even know you were here,” Inspector Megure said. “Did you happen to see this mystery body.”

“No sir,” Tim replied with the shake of his head. “Conan was the only one to see the body before someone shut the blinds.”

“I’m assuming none of you have proof of this.”

Tim nodded.

“Did anyone leave this house since the call was made?” Juzo asked.

“No,” Mitsuhiko replied. “We’ve been on the look out, we’d have seen if someone left.”

“In that case let’s see what the owner of this house has to say about all this.”

They all walked around to the front of the house, officer Takagi being the one to ring the door bell. There was no reply. He ringed once more, the sound of foot steps slowly making their way over. The door slid open a second later, a man in a pair of glasses with bushy long hair standing before them.

“Inspector Juzo and officer Wataru,” He said fully extending the door to the side. “Pleasure seeing you hear.”

“We have a complaint that a body was seen in one of your rooms.” Inspector Megure said.

“A body?”

“A dead body to be precise,” Inspector Megure said. “Would you mind if we had a quick look?”

“Not at all Mr. Megure,” He said moving to the side to make room. “By the way, the names Theo.”

“Alright Conan since you were the one to claim to have seen the body you come with me,” Inspector Megure instructed. “The rest of you wait here.”

They stepped in, walking down a long hall.

“Mr. Theo, which room is visible from the window at the the side of the house?” Juzo asked.

“That would be the one at the end, just to the left.” Theo replied.

Officer Takagi stepped to the front of the group, turning the knob to the door. Theo couldn’t help but smile.

“Why is he so confident, could he have possibly disposed of all evidence
already?”

He forced the door open, all of them walking in to find a relatively empty room. The room was made up of sea blue textured tiles along the ground, and up the walls as well. That of a lonely desk and computer being two of the very few objects sitting in the room.

“Huh, I see no body.” Juzo said.

“Nor do I Inspector.” Theo said as well.

“Are you sure you saw a body?” Inspector Megure asked becoming a little skeptical looking to Conan.

“I’m positive,” Conan said. “It was right over there where that.....mirror is sitting.”

“Mind if we scour the rest of the house?” Inspector Megure asked.

“I have no problem with it,” Theo said. “As long as nothing breaks.”

Juzo turned around, informing the officers that stood behind to give the rest of the house a look. Conan looked over, his eyes fixated on the item leaned to the wall.

“A mirror......I don’t recall seeing a mirror when the body was over there.”

Conan took a few steps forward, slowly making his way toward his own reflection. He came to a stop once reaching it, touching the edges while searching the wall surrounding it.

“Get away from that,” Theo said charging forward. “That’s an antique!”

“Sorry, I won’t touch it again.” Conan apologized.

“You better not.”

“Conan why don’t you wait outside,” Inspector Megure said stepping in. “We’ll take over from here.”

“But, but.” Conan said struggling to find words to buy a little extra time.

“I’ll let you know if we find anything,” Juzo promised. “Now head on out.”

“I’ll take him.” Wataru volunteered.

Conan’s shoulders dropped, following behind officer Takagi who lead him back to the front entrance.

“Did they find the body yet?!” Ayumi asked as he touched down from the last step.

“No body, no blood, no nothing.” Conan said in disappointment.

“Did you find any kind of evidence in there?” Genta asked.

“There’s a mirror sitting where the body was,” Conan said. “I’m not sure why it was placed there, but I bet there’s some kind of reason.”

Conan then turned to see Tim standing alone under a tree. He signaled for the detective boys to stay put, heading over to his lone friend. If she hadn’t known earlier, she knew now.

“What’s so important he needs to talk to him without any of us being present?”

Tim looked  up as Conan came to a stop. He took a few light breaths before deciding to speak.

“They didn’t find the body.”

“Yea, I heard,” Tim replied. “I planted a small device on your shirt allowing me to hear all that went on.”

“Something’s not right about that Theo guy.” Conan said.

“Couldn’t agree more,” Tim said. “How he addressed Megure and Takagi by their first names is a red flag.”

A few seconds went by, neither saying a word to the other.

“Now what?”

“Go home,” Tim said. “And make sure your friends don’t try any further investigating.”

“What about you,” Conan asked. “You planning on coming back?”

“I’ll swing by tonight,” Tim confirmed. “There’s defiantly something going on, and I want to find out what.”

“I’ll convince the others to stand down,” Conan said. “Easier said than done as you probably already know.”

“Good luck convincing them,” Tim said. “If you want to come along to night, be my guest.”

“I’ll see what the situation is at the house, then I’ll decide on the matter.”  Conan replied.

“As they say, two heads are better than one.”

Their search lasted for another good twenty minutes, Megure and the others coming out empty handed.

“Sorry Conan, we didn’t find a body,” Megure said. “The only trace of blood found was to little to mount up to what you described.”

“Oh well....sorry for taking up your time Inspector," Conan apologized. “I’ll make sure I have concrete evidence next time."

“That would help," Juzo said. “When you get home tell Ran and Kogoro I said hi."

Conan nodded, watching as their cars drove off, disappointed but positive they’d make headway come dawn of tommarrow.

“Now what do we do?” Ayumi asked.

“We go home,” Conan replied. “I think we’ve done enough for one day.”

“Yea, I guess you’re right,” Mitsuhiko said. “Where did Tim go?”

“He probably went home to.” Genta said.

“Just like we should.” Conan stated.

With that they began to walk, heading back from where they had come. She trailed from the rear, a discreet grin forming upon her face.

“Oh no.......you’re not getting off that easy Shinichi.” Ai said to herself.

They all did as agreed, heading straight home from there. Conan arrived back, trotting up the stairs in deep thought. Where had the body gone to? How’d the killer dispose of it so quickly? But most mind questioning of them all, why was a mirror placed to the wall where the victims body sat? Going back to that room was the only way he’d find out.

“Regardless of where the body is, why was someone killed in the first place?”

He opened the door to find Ran sitting alone at the table, watching a live tennis match.

“You’re late,” Ran said as the door closed behind him. “Where have you been for the last hour?”

“I was hanging with my friends of course,” Conan replied. “We stopped at the park to hit the ball around a little.”

“That’s good, I’m glad you had fun.”

He took his bag to the room, returning back to the table to join her infront of the TV. She continued to watch the game, Conan continuing to sort his thoughts.

“I probably should have told her the truth,” Conan thought slightly glimpsing to her. “Then again Ran made it clear she didn’t want me around him when she wasn’t.”

Kogoro arrived home two hours later, his shoulders hanging down in exhaustion. He slid out of his shoes, heading straight for the kitchen to pour himself a glass of water.

“How was your day dad?” Ran asked looking away from the screen.

“Tiring, but I’ll live,” Kogoro replied with a sip. “I’m hungry, when do you plan on making dinner?”

“Don’t you worry yourself,” Ran said. “I’ll get to it as soon as this match is over.”

“Good, because I’m starving.”

Kogoro decided to join them at the table, resting his legs from a long days work. The match ended within the next thirty minutes, Ran switching to another channel.

“Wait a minute,” Kogoro said crossing his arms. “I thought you were going to make dinner after the match was over.”

“Sorry,” Ran said apologetic. “I forgot my favorite cook show was on.”

“Since when did you watch this?” Kogoro mumbled.

Conan snickered at this, finding the whole situation rather humorous.

“What did Kogoro do to deserve this?”

Another hour went by as Ran flipped to yet another channel.

“Car racing,” Kogoro questioned. “Don’t tell me you watch this to.”

“It’s a new interest I’ve gained.” Ran said.

Conan reached over, tapping Ran to the side of her leg. She looked down to him with a smile.

“Let me guess, you’re hungry to?”  

Conan shook his head up and down in response.

“Don’t worry, I’ll whip something in another fifteen.”

Fifteen minutes quickly turned into twenty, which then turned into thirty five.

“Ok, I’ve had enough,” Kogoro exclaimed. “What did we do?”

“Yea Ran, I’m getting really light headed.” Conan added.

“Fine,” Ran said switching off the TV. “So who wants to be the one to tell me what you two actually did two nights ago?”

Conan and Kogoro looked to each other, knowing she already knew.

“We can explain,” Conan said. “I tried to tell Kogoro that you weren’t.”

Ran cut him off with a finger to the mouth.

“No need to go on,” Ran said. “Tim already told me everything.”

“He did?!” Kogoro asked surprised.

“How else would I have found out?”

“Does this still mean you’re going to make dinner?” Conan asked with a convincing laugh.

Ran laughed in response.

“There is plenty of bread and ham,” Ran replied pushing up from her knees. “Feel free to make yourselves some sandwiches.”

“So you’re not going to fix something?” Kogoro asked.

“I don’t know,” Ran said with a fake yawn. “I’m getting a little tired, I’ll make something tommarrow.”

With that the two of them watched as she headed to her room, closing the door behind her.

“Great, now look what Kogoro got us into.”

Conan walked to the kitchen, chewing down on an apple. He could have been eating a thing of wood without even realizing, his mind still locked onto the murder. After finishing his little snack Conan took to his room, sitting to the side of the bed. He kept that pose for another
hour before it ringed through the room. Conan carelessly pulling his phone from within his pocket.

“Mitsuhiko,” Conan questioned. “What could he possibly be calling about?”

He took a few seconds to give it some thought, deciding to answer the call.

“Conan where are you?”

“In my room of course,” Conan answered. “Where else would I be?”

“What do you mean in your room, you’re supposed to be down here with us!”

“Down with....wait, where are you exactly?” Conan asked.

“Hiding behind a few bushes right outside the house where you saw the body.”

“I thought we agreed we were going to let it go.” Conan said.

“Huh....they said you were the one to orchestrate this whole thing.”

Conan shook his head from side to side, gripping the phone tightly in between his fingers.

“Don’t make any moves,” Conan instructed. “I’ll be there soon.”

He closed his phone, more confused than he had been all day.

“What is Mitsuhiko talking about, I never scheduled for us to meet back at that house.”

Conan slid down from the bed, shutting the light off as he exited the room. He quietly slid on his shoes once reaching the front door, checking to make sure Kogoro nor Ran came from their room. Once all was clear he cracked the door open, slithering out into the hall.

“I’d have to say my stealth skills have become rather legit.” Conan said to himself.

It was dark, the clouds shielding the moon from showcasing its dominance of the night sky. He wasn’t bugged by this at all, using his phone as a source of light to lead his way. Conan arrived back to the house within the next ten minutes, finding his friends camping it out behind a few bushes.

“There you are,” Ai said. “Sure took you long enough, especially being you were the one who arranged this.”

“I brought the rope.” Mitsuhiko declared.

“And I got the hook.” Genta added.

“Hook, rope,” Conan questioned. “What do we need that for?”

“To get in through the window silly.” Ayumi said.

“It was your idea Conan,” Genta said. “There’s no turning back now, not when we’ve come this far.”

It interrupted their conversation, frightening most in the group.The five of them quickly ducked to the sound of the garage opening. They peaked from around the bush, looking to see a large truck take off.

“That was close.” Ayumi said.

“No really,” Conan explained. “I didn’t ask for any of this.”

“I bet you just changed your mind,” Ai said. “You’ve been a little distant and unreliable as of late.”

“That’s not true,” Conan fired back. “I’ve just had a lot on my plate, things relating back home.”

“Let’s put all the disagreements on hold,” Mitsuhiko said. “The detective boys have a mission at hand.”

Mitsuhiko took charge, making way over to the side of the house with Ayumi and Genta right behind. Conan crossed his arms glaring over at Ai who stood straight.

“Haibara....you’re the one who asked everyone here, weren’t you?”

“That’s an allegation, one I find to be rather vague.” Ai replied turning away from him. “Especially since everyone says it was your idea.”

Conan stood in place, not having the nerve nor energy to continue. Satisfied, Ai walked on making her way over to where the rest of the group wait. He looked to the ground, knowing it was going to be one of those nights.

“Come on Conan,” Ayumi called. “We have the rope connected to the window.”

“I’ll be right there.” Conan said taking a deep breath.

He grabbed the rope, giving it a couple tugs to test it’s durability.

“How does it feel Genta?” Mitsuhiko asked.

“Good to go,” Genta replied with a nod. “I’ll head up first.”

“Stay put when you get in,” Conan said. “We don’t want to alert anyone we are here.”

“But the guy drove off remember?”

“That dosen’t mean there might not be anyone else.” Conan warned.

They watched as he pounced up the wall, entering through the window.

“I guess it’s your turn.” Ai said looking to Conan.

“Ladies first.”

She smiled, taking him up on his offer. Conan following right after, gripping onto the rugged rope every step of the way. He made it to the top, dropping into the room below. It was dark as expected, flipping on the mini light to his watch.

“So where do you want to start our search?” Ai asked.

“There,” Conan pointed with the flash of his light. “That’s where the body was.”

He made his way over to the mirror, giving the area a look. He checked the surrounding wall, noticing a slight disturbance in the tile pattern in a small area. Conan took note of this, flashing his light to the ground, seeing a slight shift in the tiles yet again. He then looked back to the mirror, a smile coming to his face.

“What grabs the attention of anyone approaching a mirror......easy, your reflection.”

Conan turned his attention back to the wall.

“Now I see why the mirror was placed there, it was used to keep them from noticing the wall around it.” Conan thought pressing up against the wall. “Now let’s see if I can confirm what I think the killer did to hide the body.”

Before he could test his theory he felt a soft hand come to his shoulder, nearly causing him to jump.

“You seem to be on to something,” Ai whispered into his ear. “Wanna tell me what you’re doing?”

Conan looked over his shoulder, both looking into the others eyes. It was only a few moments, but seemed to last for minutes. He turned back to the wall, tracing the outline of the shifted part of the tile.

“Do you see that?”

Ai moved in closer, giving it a look herself.

“I see,” Ai said still unsure of what to think. “But what does it mean?”

“What are you guys whispering about over here?” Genta asked leaning up against the wall as well.

Within that second it struck, all three of them flying forward into an untimely darkness. They could feel themselves toppling downward, there sides hitting up against a very hard surface on the descend. It lasted for only a few moments, coming to a stop in the unknown. With the energy he had left Conan flashed his light to the side of himself, looking to find an unconscious Genta and Ai.

“Where are we?”

He could feel himself fading, foot steps approaching in the darkness. The last thing he remembered before blacking out was the burning feel of his spine dragging up against the cold rough surface.

After several attempts at
climbing up she had finally succeeded, dropping down to the floor below. Ayumi then directed her attention back to the window, Mitsuhiko coming into view not long after. He dropped down, landing to the side of her.

“Where’s Conan and the others?” Mitsuhiko asked.

“I don’t know,” Ayumi replied. “I was waiting for you.”

Mitsuhiko switched on his light, giving the whole room a quick look.

“They’re not here.”

“Then where are they?” Ayumi asked.

It cracked through the walls, both stunned in place from fear. It got louder as it neared. Someone was approaching from outside the door, coming from the other end of the hall. It finally happened, the knob to the door slowly turning. Out of instinct her mouth sprung open, ready to scream as loudly as she could. But she was stopped. A firm hand being the force that kept her from shouting, feeling her body levitate from the ground while landing behind the computer desk. The door to the room swung open....but only for a few brief seconds before closing once more. Had it been Mitsuhiko who had silenced her? She turned to the right to see him with a hand to his mouth as well. If it wasn’t him, then who. Uncertainty quickly turning into fear.

“You two ok?” A voice said from behind as the hands fell from upon their mouths.

Both of them slowly shifted around, Mitsuhiko jumping back at what he saw.

“Hey kid, good to see you again.”

“Red Robin?!” Ayumi whispered in excitement.

“That’s Red....Robin?” Mitsuhiko asked hesitantly.

“It sure is,” Ayumi confirmed with a nod while turning back to him. “What are you doing here?”

“An investigation,” Red Robin replied. “What about you, did you two come alone?”

“No, we came with our friends,” Mitsuhiko replied. “When we got in they were already missing.”

“Some how I knew Kudo wouldn’t be able to contain these......detective boys.”

“Red Robin can you please help us find them, please?” Ayumi pleaded.

“Don’t worry,” He said placing a hand to her shoulder. “We’re going to find your friends.”

“So what’s the plan?” Mitsuhiko asked still a little shaky.

“We’ll start with searching the room,” Red Robin said standing up. “If you find anything just let me know.”

“Yes sir.” Both Ayumi and Mitsuhiko said together.

They all searched different corners of the room, being as quiet as they could as not to alert anyone of their presence. It didn’t take long for it to be discovered, shattered across the ground.

“I think I found something.” Ayumi said.

He flashed his light into her direction, seeing the broken glass laying across the ground.

“Good job,” Red Robin complimented while walking over. “What do we have here.”

He looked to the floor, lifting up a large object which lay face down.  Mitsuhiko and Ayumi quickly coming to his side.

“What is that?” Ayumi asked.

“A mirror,” Red Robin replied. “Or at least it was until it broke.”

“I hope Conan and the others are ok.” Ayumi said.

He looked at the boarder, then back to the shattered glass.

“This must be the mirror Shinichi was talking about, and judging by where it landed it must have been leaned up somewhere right in there.”

Red Robin flashed his light to the wall with Mitsuhiko stepping to the side of him, interested at where he was going with this.

“Do you think you have a lead on where our friends are?”

“Yes,” Red Robin replied. “And I think it has something to do with this wall.”

To Be Continued


Converting /tmp/php3s8mQR to /dev/stdout