Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Light In the Awake of Death ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 29
Light In the Awake of Death

Lighting flashed in the far distance with the booming thunder accompanying it. The rain had gone from a light drizzle to a down pour of high proportions. The strength of the wind carried it in multiple directions, making it difficult for those traveling the streets to see with a clear eye. She sat in the corner of the room, rocking back and forth with her arms wrapped to her legs. Miwako walked over, sliding down the wall taking a seat to the side of her.

"You seem a little nervous, you shouldn't worry yourself," Miwako said placing a hand upon her shoulder. "Everything is going to turn out just fine, we have some of our best guys working this operation."

Ran let her hands fall to the side, turning to see the calming smile across her face.

"I guess you're right, it's just something I can't help."

"Which is natural," Miwako said. "When someone you love is in a situation like this it tends to put you on edge."

"You think everything will go as planned?" Ran asked laying her head back to the wall.

"Don't you worry," Miwako assured. "Nothing is going to happen to your father on our watch."

"I hope you're right."

Solid grey clouds captured the sky, making it the darkest night of the year thus far. The rain continued to dash down, hitting all sides of the body. Red Robin flipped forward with a leap, soaring to the next building with a sliding landing.

"Good thing this suit is water proof, or else I might have needed to invest in a rain coat."

He looked to the buildings surrounding the area as he continued through the air, knowing he was closing in by the second.

"I have about twenty five minutes before making it to the shooting range, that will leave a solid five minutes before ten.....better hurry, every second counts."

They stepped back into the room, sliding the balcony door shut to keep out the rain. Conan walked to the bedside, having himself a seat. Heiji stood to the wall, wondering how everything would go down.

"You should have a seat," Conan suggested. "Who knows how long this will take."

"Good point," Heiji agreed taking a seat to the chair. "So about that body you found, how long was that guy dead for?"

"I'd say for at least two days," Conan replied. "He had a couple cuts to the body, but I can't be one hundred percent sure that was the cause of death without an autopsy."

"You're right, that would confirm what really happened," Heiji said relaxing back. "In any case, have you two gained in further knowledge on that 'Oni Tiger' Ryo spoke of before his death?"

Conan shook his head in response.

"We haven't had a run in with any of the Black Yangs for that matter." Conan replied.

Heiji lifted his hand to the desk, glimpsing down to his watch with concern.

"It's been over an hour now," Heiji said looking to Conan. "Don't you think he'd have contacted us with an update by now?"

"If he's busy don't expect a call, he doesn't tend to chat much during heated situations," Conan replied. "If Tim has something to tell us you can rest assure he'll contact us."

"Great," Heiji said looking to the ceiling. "Now here comes the fun part....waiting."

"Lighten up a little," Conan said laying to the bed. "Look on the bright side, we don't have to get all soaked and worked up."

"I guess you have a point, but still."

He slouched further into to the seat, settling in for a long one. Conan rolled his head to the side as he lay, looking to the brewing storm. Heiji looked to him, seeing the uncertainty in his face.

"Hey Kudo you alright?"

"I don't know," Conan replied turning to the ceiling. "I just have a bad feeling is all."

"What's to worry about, we already know where the shooter will be."

"It's not that," Conan said bringing his hands to the back of his head. "It's just how things have conspired up to this point."

"I'm not sure I follow." Heiji said sitting up.

"The notes that were left, the riddles," Conan began. "Why isn't there a clear demand to interpret, it's almost as if it's directed for only one person to understand."

"Hmm, I guess you make a point."

"Then you have the shooting at the down town center," Conan continued. "Why wasn't anyone killed, who shoots for the sport of it?"

Neither said a word for seconds to come. Heiji looked back to the sky, much more weary then he had been before.

"What if Kudo's right, what if there is more to this than we thought?"

He leaped to yet another building, touching down while continuing to run. He came to a stop once reaching the ledge, scouring the area below with the use of his zooming system.

"There's the shooting range," Red Robin said catching sight of it. "The Inspector must be in the inside part of the facility."

He shifted his head, giving the rest of the surrounding area a look.

"Only a few minutes left until ten.........where's the hit man?"

The storm lay steady as he wait, no sign of anyone to the neighboring buildings.

It ringed loud and clear, the clock striking past ten o'clock. Tension flourished through the room, yet nothing but silence. The clock continued to tick, one minute quickly turning into two. He reached down, pulling the phone from the side of his belt.

"Shiratori here, what's going on out there?"

"Nothing," An officer replied from the other line. "We've got the whole perimeter covered, there's nothing suspicious what so ever."

"Are you sure?"

"Affirmative, but we'll keep watch."

Ninzaburo slid the phone back in place, Kogoro looking to him soon after.

"So what's going on out there," Kogoro asked. "They find this guy yet?"

"There is no sighting of anyone lurking around, but that doesn't mean they still won't strike." Ninzaburo warned.

"Is it possible the note was referring to someone else?" Ran asked.

"It's a possibility, but we're not letting up just yet." Miwako replied.

Everything became quiet once more. What was to come in the following hour a mystery.

He continued his look out, keeping his nerves in check as he waited. Five minutes passed since ten had hit. There was still no sign of anyone to the rooftops but himself.

"Haven't heard anything from Heiji or Shinichi, so that must mean Kogoro is doing fine," Red Robin thought to himself. "What if we were wrong.....what if the target isn't Megure or Kogoro, could the note have been evading to something else?"

Another minute passed, contemplating on whether or not to give the others a call to see what was happening on their end. The door to the front entrance finally opened, he stepped out putting a hand to his eyes to block the rain.

"There's the Inspector, now for the moment of truth."

Juzo reached to the side popping the umbrella open as he resulted to walk. Red Robin kept his eyes peeled, looking to all surrounding structures. Then he saw it, someone pushing up from in between a few statues which accompanied one of the buildings.

"There, they must have been hiding it out until he came within range," Red Robin said pulling his grappler from his side. "The shooter has him locked in, only got one option at this point."

Red Robin dropped from the edge, free falling toward the roadway with the spring of the grappler. His finger touched to the sleekness of the trigger, pulling down with the bullet accelerating toward it's target.

"Got him."

Megure felt himself grabbed from his waist, flying a few feet into the air as the bullet flew past the side of his head. The umbrella twirled to the ground as more continued to blaze after them.

"What is the meaning of this?!"

He didn't reply, swinging them around the side of the building, taking them out of harms way. They landed to the sidewalk with a splash, the sound of the rifle still being fired.

"Who are you," Juzo asked. "And what is going on?!"

"Follow me, your safety depends on it," Red Robin replied. "I'll tell you what you need to hear once there."

Megure had no idea how to react to this, but the sound of bullets piercing the sides of the wall left him with no choice but to follow after him. He lead him to a public bathroom nearby, locking the door once both were nice and secure. It was quiet for the first few second, the sound of the gun fire coming to an end. It was dark, the only light coming from the window located up in the far corner. He slowly turned from the door, coming face to face with Inspector Megure.

"This should keep you safe for now, I wouldn't move from here until I take care of the shooter."

"I don't fully understand what's going on," Juzo stated. "Who are you and why is someone shooting at me?"

"You're the one the killer mentioned in the note Megure."

"I am, but why?!"

"I have yet to figure that one out," Red Robin replied. "But rest assured I will."

"Let me calls the authorities," Juzo suggested pulling his phone from his pocket. "They'll be on it in no time."

"Don't bother," Red Robin said. "They'd only be a liability at this point."

"Liability," Juzo questioned. "They're trained to handle situations like this."

"By the time they arrive the sniper might already be gone, or worse," Red Robin said turning back to the door. "The shooter opens fire on bystanders, or them."

"You still haven't answered my question," Juzo said with a step. "Who are you?"

"You pose a good question, one I don't have time to answer right now."

"Are you even trained to handle something like this?" Juzo asked.

"If I weren't I wouldn't have been able to save you," Red Robin replied. "Please Inspector, trust me on this one."

Things fell silent once more, the rain chanting to the side of the glass.

"Give me twenty minutes," Red Robin asked. "If I'm not back within that time frame you can call in your unit."

"You said it's a sniper, right?"

Red Robin nodded.

"If that's the case, then how do you plan on closing in without being sighted?"

"I'll take another route and surprise the shooter from behind," Red Robin replied. "If you indeed call in your men make sure they're prepared, whoever we're dealing with is not only an incredible marksmen but a master tactician as well."

He unlocked the door, pushing it open to be greeted by the incoming rain. He looked back once more.

"Make sure this door stays locked, I'll be back shortly."

With those last words, he walked out with the door closing behind.

"The time has finally come," Red Robin stood looking to the sky. "To meet the master mind behind it all."

He aimed his grappler upward, longing himself into the air. Just as planned, he stuck to the outside, circling around where the shooter had been. He stood to the building over looking him, more than surprised to see the sniper still to the same spot they had shot from.

"Why haven't they tried to escape yet," Red Robin questioned. "Are they expecting Megure to come back?"

This was one of the many thoughts that ran through his mind as he glided down toward the rooftop they stood. He landed with little sound, the shooter not budging one bit. Red Robin took a few steps toward them, coming to a stop within a few yards.

"Turn around and hands up, the games over."

He got no response for the first few seconds. The sniper glimpsed back at him before slowly turning to fully face him.

"Our shooter is a man, that's one.......no sign of the blade which was used to cut up the dead officers though." Red Robin thought giving the armed man a look over.

He stared to him with a pale expression, no humor, no anger, no frustration, nothing to indicate what he was feeling inside. Tim payed little attention to this.

"I don't think you heard me clearly the first time, so I'll tell you once more," Red Robin said. "Drop the rifle and put your hands in the air."

He didn't reply, just continuing to gaze over at him.

"Ok, fine, you obviously have a problem with interpreting words which then can be formed into messages," Red Robin said trying to push him. "Let's start with something simple, what's your name?"

He got no response.

"What is with this guy?"

"Those are a nice pair of shades you've got there," Red Robin said trying a new approach. "Or are those goggles of some kind?"

He remained motionless, the same mute expression still laying across his face.

"You sure are one gifted speaker," Red Robin commented. "You could give someone I know a run for their money."

The rain continued to pour, the only form of response he was beginning to think he would get. He took another step forward knowing it was time to drop the humor and get straight to the point.

"You've failed to reply to anything I've said, so answer me this," Red Robin said glaring over. "Why target Inspector Megure of all people?"

"That's where you're wrong Red Robin." He finally spoke with the rub of his gun.

"So he knows my name, but how?"

"The target isn't the Inspector," He said lifting his rifle. "It's you."

And within that split second he felt himself freeze, how could he have not seen it? He lifted the rifle with a bang, Red Robin jumping to the side to have a bullet skid across the
side of his arm. He sprung his grappler free taking to another building with a burning sensation coming over him.

"Caught me by surprise, got to find cover."

He landed to another building only to have an explosion erupt which sent him off the edge. Red Robin quickly rebounded with the use of his grappler, flipping to another.

"Where did that explosion come from?"

Then he saw it. Laying to all the rooftops in the surrounding area sat tanks, tanks if shot that would explode immediately.

"I've been set up, he doesn't even have to hit me," Red Robin said jumping up as another explosion went off. "All he has to do is set off one of these well placed tanks."

Red Robin continued back tracking as the explosions continued from roof top to roof top. He slowly began improvising what to do.

"Gotta make a double move and get back to him some how," Red Robin thought. "But then again, if I let him go I might be able to find who he works for."

A bullet flew by tearing right through his rope, he had no choice but to crash land through a window into an empty building. He quickly jumped to his feet, turning back to the window only to have a bullet connect with his chest piece. Red Robin threw himself to the ground in an effort to fool the sniper.

"Good thing I placed a tracker to the rifle, once he leaves camp I'll be able to follow after him."

He slightly peaked up to see the sniper still taking aim.

"What is he aiming at, to his knowledge I'm already dead."

Red Robin then pivoted his head to the side to see a group of stacked propane tanks. It all became clear, he had been lead here from the beginning.

"That's not good."

He fired once more, the bullet blazing through the air hitting home with much force. He watched the explosion from afar, a smile coming to his face as the building collapsed before him.

"Better get in close, need to confirm the hit was a success."

The sky continued to flash from the lightning in the far distance. They hadn't said a word for the past few minutes. It became nerve racking at this point. Heiji stood from the chair turning to face the storm.

"I think we've waited long enough," Heiji declared. "He should have contacted us by now, I'm going to give him a ring."  

He pressed down to his ear piece wanting an update on the situation.

"Red Robin it's Heiji, what's going on out there?"

The sound of static was the only sound he received in return. Heiji continued to call out with no response. He then looked to the bed to find Conan with his eyes closed, a lingering smile across his lips.

"What's so funny?" Heiji asked standing over him.

"The fact you're so worried," Conan replied with the opening of his eyes. "I said he'd contact us when he's not busy."

"That or he's already dead."

"It's a possibility, but one I doubt." Conan said sitting up.

"What now, you can foretell events that are to occur?"

"That's not what I was implying," Conan replied. "Tim's usually good at working things into his advantage, so I wouldn't worry any."

"Mind if I turn on the TV," Heiji asked reaching for the remote. "The wait's killing me more than anything."

"If it helps pass the time then go right on ahead."

It was pitch dark, the sound of water dripping from a broken pipe, one of the only few sounds that could be heard. He knelt down next to his staff which managed to hold the ruble from caving in on him. He could hear the foot steps approaching, coming to a stop just somewhere above him.

"This guy doesn't give up," Red Robin thought to himself. "What's he need, a depleted body?"

He listened on, the sound of someone searching the ground above. It lasted for just under a minute, only the sound of the dripping water still to be heard.

"He stopped searching, did he find what he needed?"

He could hear the dialing of a number, adjusting his cowls sound level to hear what was to be said.

"Now to get some answers."

The phone ringed for the next few seconds, someone finally answering near the last ring.

"How'd the hit go?"

"A success."

"Good," A voice spoke from the other end. "Mr. Yunge, Snake, and all parties involved will be more than pleased."  

"Of course."

"Did you happen to retrieve the diamond?"

"If he had it on him, it would have been destroyed in the explosion."

"Very well, the hit was made and that's all that matters," They said pleased none the less. "See you at the station."

"I'll be there shortly Chianti, Korn out."

His foot steps could be heard leaving the scene, a new sense of the situation coming to him.

"Looks like I have a name, Korn," Red Robin said pushing up. "I'm betting Brutho was the one to hire him, but who are the other parties that were mentioned?"

He waited for a minute to pass, pushing the building parts to the side, climbing his way to the surface. The rain continued to pour, not as violently as it had before. Sirens could be heard clearing his way from up a mile or so.

"They must have heard the explosions," Red Robin said settling out the grappler. "Better take off be for they arrive, last thing I want is to be charged for the damages."

He paced to the hardness of the bathroom floor, checking his watch every so often. Twenty minutes had passed over two minutes ago.

"I wonder what all that noise was."

Juzo decided to give it a little longer. The window to the top corner slid open a few moments later with Red Robin dropping in.

"Is that door still locked?"

"Yea, it's locked," Inspector Megure replied. "I heard some explosions, what went on out there?"

"It was the shooter," Red Robin said reaching up to slide the window shut. "Turns out you weren't the target after all."

"I wasn't," Megure exclaimed. "Then why was I shot at?"

"You were used as a decoy, one which was to spring me out."

"So are you saying you were the target?" Juzo asked.

"That's correct."

"But why?"

Red Robin looked to the ground, stepping to the side of him. He froze in place, taking a step to the door with a huff.

"If something is going on I need to know," Juzo said slightly raising his voice. "So tell me, why was I used to set you up?"

"It's complicated." Red Robin replied leaning his hand to the door.

"I've got time, any information you have will be useful."

"I'm in the process of sorting it out myself," Red Robin said. "With time I think we might be able to put this all to rest."

"We," Juzo questioned. "Are you asking me to keep this all a secret?"

"Not just that, but for your trust...... and assistance," Red Robin turned facing him once again. "So what do you say Inspector?"

Everything fell silent, staring the proposal given on all levels. There was so much to consider, who was he, what were his motives, and most importantly what was the situation he now found himself caught up in?

"He did save my life.....he must have good intentions."

He maneuvered his hat up with a nod.

"Do you have a name?" Juzo asked.

"Red Robin." He replied with a smile.

"I'll only come to terms with you under one condition." Juzo stated.

"Name it."

"We keep all business under my standards, got it?"

"Deal." Red Robin said in agreement.

"So tell me," Juzo said taking a step forward. "What happens from here?"

The clock hit thirty five after. There was still no sign that anything was to happen. Kogoro yawned as he stood to his feet looking to the window.

"I'd have a seat if I were you," Ninzaburo said. "This operation has not yet been cleared."

"How long must we sit around," Kogoro asked. "I'm getting tired from all this waiting, would it be ok if I went to my room to get some sleep?"

Ninzaburo looked to Miwako who gave him a nod.

"We'll keep a look out, you're free to go to your room."  Ninzaburo said.

"Good, because I don't know how much more of this waiting I can take."

Kogoro made his way over to his room, turning the knob to hear the sound of a phone ring. He turned back to see Miwako answer her phone, waiting to hear what the call was about. The conversation lasted for just under a minute. Miwako pushed from the ground with a smile.

"What is it," Ran asked standing up as well. "Did they find the shooter?"

"No, but the target wasn't your dad to after all." Miwako replied.

"Well then who was it?" Kogoro asked.

"It was Inspector Megure."

"Is he ok?" Ninzaburo asked jumping up in concern.

"He's fine," Miwako informed. "Thanks to a civilian sighting the shooter before any damage could be done."

"Did they catch the guy?" Ran asked.

"Not yet, but we will," Miwako assured. "We'll leave the two of you to the comfort of your home now."

"Thanks, we appreciate everything you've done tonight." Ran said.

"I'll go and let the others know about the situation." Ninzaburo said heading to the door sliding on his shoes.

"I'll be right behind you," Miwako called out. "Are the two of you going to be ok?"

"We'll be just fine, we've had our fair share of drama." Kogoro replied.

"He's right," Ran said in agreement. "All we need is a little rest."

"Then I'll leave you to that, good night."

The channel was switched yet again, not able to find anything of interest at this time of night. The clock ticked passed eleven fifty, and still no call. Heiji looked away from the TV to hear a beeping sound coming from Conan's phone.

"Hey Kudo what are you doing over there?"

"Playing Packman." Conan replied still looking to his phone.

"Didn't know you liked that." Heiji stated.

"Helps pass time a lot better than what you're doing."

"It's not my fault I don't recognize any of these programs," Heiji said looking back to the TV. "I don't usually watch television this late."

"We've discussed what's been going on down here," Conan said looking up. "What of Osaka, how are things up west?"

"Pretty normal I guess, why do you ask?"

"I don't think what's been going on just revolves around Tokyo." Conan answered.

"You're thinking there may be operations spreading as far up to Osaka aren't you?"

"It's a possibility," Conan said. "We need to be prepared for anything."

Heiji looked down to his wrist, checking the time once more.

"It's almost twelve," Heiji stated. "How long do you think until we hear from Drake?"

"Look no further." Conan said with a nod.

Heiji turned just in time to see the balcony door slide open.

"What happened Drake," Heiji asked. "You look like you got a little roughed up."

"It's been one of those nights," Tim replied pulling off the cowl. "I take it Mr. Mouri is ok."

"We didn't hear anything, so I'd assume so." Heiji replied.

"How about Inspector Megure," Conan asked. "Is he ok?"

Tim closed the door, walking past the two as water dripped down from the sides of his body.

"Tim....what's wrong," Conan asked. "What happened out there?"

He removed the wet gloves while tossing them to the top of the dresser, lingering to the side of the closet.

"I should have seen it," Tim began. "The bullet.....the feather even."

"Drake what are you talking about?" Heiji asked in confusion.

"Inspector Megure was never the intended target."

"If it wasn't him, then who?" Conan asked jumping down from the bed.

"It was me." Tim finally said.

"What, you," Heiji exclaimed. "What about Megure?!"

"He's fine," Tim replied. "I was able to get to him before the bullet did."

"But why target you," Conan questioned. "Why the whole set up if you were the intended target in the first place?"

"I heard the sniper on the phone while under the ruble, he mentioned Mr. Yunge." Tim informed.

"Brutho, it's got to be him." Conan said.

Tim nodded.

"He's the only one who could possibly know I'd be able to unravel his little message."

"You had a run in with him as Red Robin?" Heiji asked.

"It happened just after we returned from Korea." Conan confirmed.

"Regardless of all that, did you happen to take down the shooter?" Heiji asked.

"He got away, but on a positive note they'll now believe me to be dead," Tim said. "He set off some tanks stashed in a building with me inside."

"How'd you escape that?" Conan asked with a grin.

"I took an explosive from my belt, blasting myself to the floor below to evade direct impact from the explosion of the tanks."

"How'd you keep yourself from being crushed in the aftermath?" Heiji asked.

"My staff," Tim answered. "It's rather durable considering how thin around it is."

"Did you get a look at the guy?" Heiji asked.

"Better," Tim said. "I got a name."

"Now you're talking," Conan said. "So what's this guys name."

"I heard him talking on the phone before he took off," Tim said. "He addressed himself by the name Korn."

Conan's eyes narrowed with a small step back. Could it be who he thought it was?

"What else did you gain from the phone conversation?" Conan asked.

"I heard them mention a Snake, must be the code name to someone they know," Tim replied. "They also stated something about more parties being involved, and a diamond."

"A diamond?" Heiji questioned.

"It must be the Mercury Gem," Tim said giving it some thought. "Brutho must have thought I took it, when it was indeed Kaitou Kid who was the one to steal it."

"What about who he was talking to," Conan asked. "Did you hear the voice of the person he spoke with?"

"It was a woman," Tim answered. "They were to meet just after he left."

"Did he happen to say her name?"

"Chianti," Tim replied tapping his finger to the dresser. "That's what he called her."

"Just as I thought," Conan said bringing his hands to his pocket. "We're dealing with the Black Organization."

"Shinichi are you positive?" Tim asked.

"I have no doubt." Conan said assuringly. "But this also means we have someone else out there, Korn isn't known for cutting up bodies."

"No wonder I couldn't find a blade on him," Tim said. "I'm betting whoever did doesn't even work for the Organization, but accompanied them for this task."

"Agreed, they're usually more discreet on handling their targets."

"Do you think tonights events will get back to Gin and Vodka?" Tim asked.

"Does it really matter," Conan asked removing his hands from his pocket. "According to you Korn believes you to be dead."

"True, but that doesn't keep them from at least becoming a little suspicious," Tim said. "Let's remember this wasn't their first kill attempt on me."

"Ok.....guess I did miss out on a little more than I thought," Heiji said jumping back in. "So now that we have an idea on who's pulling the strings, what's our next move going to be?"

"We go on the offense," Tim answered while removing his cape. "They caught me by surprise tonight, I don't plan on that happening again."  

"I hope you have a pretty damn good plan Drake," Heiji said flipping his hat around. "These guys are very resourceful, one wrong move and we could wind up in several different trash bins across town."

"I never go into the planning stage blindly Heiji," Tim said focusing away from his comment. "If all goes accordingly, we should be able to hit a couple giants in one blow."

"This better not have anything to do with us playing dress up," Conan said crossing his arms. "So what's the plan?"

He removed his top along with the belt, stretching his arms as he turned back to face the two.

"We'll discuss that in the morning, I know you're both tired," Tim said looking to the clock. "I'll give you both a full run down in the morning."

"I guess there's no arguing against that," Heiji said. "How early are we talking?"

"I'd say any time after ten thirty, that should give you both ample time to rest up."

"Sounds good to me," Heiji said turning for the door. "Come on Kudo, I'll walk you home."

"That's ok," Conan said. "I think I'll just stay here for the night."

"You think that's a good idea," Tim questioned. "Don't you think Ran will be a little unhappy without you telling her."

"I'm pretty sure Ran already knows where I am," Conan said. "Besides I sent her a message just a few minutes ago letting her know I'd be here for the night."

"Bet she doesn't get that message until the morning." Tim said looking down to him.

"Better late then at all." Conan replied with a laugh.

"I guess I better get going," Heiji said opening the door to leave. "I'll be back tommarrow, make sure you have all the details ready to present."

"You can count on that."

The door closed behind him as he took off into the hall. Conan sat to the end of the bed with Tim joining him at his side. At this point the rain came down as nothing more than a few shallow specs.

"So what happened when you saved Megure," Conan asked. "Did he see you?"

"Yes, I explained the situation to him," Tim replied. "Of course I left out certain details."

"So he didn't try to arrest you?"

"Let's just say Inspector Megure and I are on good terms." Tim replied with a grin.

"I don't know what that means, but by the sounds of it, I'd say we're heading in the right direction."

The rain had finally come to an end, the dark clouds slowly drifting to the south. He stood to the corner of the room,with his back leaned to the wall in thought. The TV was set to the news, waiting for an in depth look at what the explosions left behind. The awaited knock had finally come to the door just after two fifteen. She stood from the couch making her way to the door.

"It's about time you two showed, we were beginning to think you two wouldn't come." She said opening the door.

"Relax Chianti," Gin said stepping in past her. "We just had a few loose ends to tie up."

"Why again are we meeting at some beat down motel?" Vodka asked walking in after him.

Chianti closed the door behind them, taking back to the couch. Gin headed over to the sink grabbing a cup while pouring himself a glass of water.

"You never answered the question Chianti," Vodka said standing to the side of her. "Why did you call us here?"

"This," Chianti replied tossing him a small device. "It was found on the side of Korn's rifle."  

"What is it?" Vodka asked.

"Some kind of tracking device," Chianti replied. "We've already disabled it, but felt it would be best if we met here just in case."

Vodka gave it a look, bringing it closer in.

"I've seen this somewhere before," Vodka thought to himself flipping it to the other side. "That emblem....where did I see this?"

Vodka looked back to Chianti who had her eyes pinned to the TV, a look of surprise coming to her face.

"What's wrong?" Vodka asked.

"Korn you better come have a look at this," Chianti said as he walked over. "There was no body found in that building you sent to the ground."

"Impossible." Korn grunted.

"This guy who planted this device to your rifle," Vodka said facing him. "Did he have a name."

"Code named Red Robin."

Vodka's eyes jumped wide, Gin lowering the glass from his mouth.

"What did you say his name was?" Gin asked joining the three.

"He said Red Robin," Vodka repeated. "And look what they found to the side of his rifle."

Gin took the small device into his hand, immediately recognizing it.

"I found one of these to the side of my briefcase," Gin said looking to Korn. "Tell me, what was this guy like, did he say anything to you?"

"He couldn't stop running his mouth," Korn replied. "I'd say he was rather cocky to."

"Sounds a lot like the Red Robin we ran into." Vodka said.

"He recovered this from the explosion site, do you recognize it," Chianti asked handing Gin a burnt up bird disk. "I guess when Korn found this he presumed him to be dead."

Gin nodded dropping it to his pocket.

"There's no way he could be alive," Korn said looking to the TV. "I shot him point blank in the chest, the explosion should have all but finished him."

"I poisoned him, then let him sink to the bottom of the ocean," Gin said clutching his fist. "If he truly is alive that's four times we've failed at killing him."

"There was no body found as of now," Chianti said looking to the TV once again. "So how do we go about finding him?"

"We bring him to us," Korn stated. "Mr. Yunge was right when he said Red Robin was a detective, he fell right into the trap."

"A detective?" Vodka questioned.

An evil smirk came to Chianti's face with the swing of her hair.

"The three of you have already failed at your hand," Chianti said. "All this task really requires is good aim and a woman's touch."

"Don't let your thrill of killing this guy get in the way of our true operation Chianti," Gin said. "I'll make the call to Mr. Sorie, we're going to do more than just have him come to us."

"This time we'll make it count." Chianti added.

Gin looked over, he could tell something was on Vodka's mind. He decided it would be best left unasked for the time being.

"You think he's working alone?" Chianti asked.

"He must have friends he's working with," Gin replied. "And once we have him, we'll silence them as well."

To Be Continued











&nb sp;











Converting /tmp/phpXHTWXr to /dev/stdout