Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Test of the Chase ( Chapter 36 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 36
Test of the Chase

That coldness from within was gone, pushing the blanket from over himself to find he was back in his own bed. He reached for his face, pushing up at the feeling.

"My glasses, where are my glasses?"

He looked to the side of the pillow, and there they lay.

"Phew, had me worried there for a second." Conan said placing them on.

He then looked to see his school clothes sitting to the side, noticing he had thirty minutes until class was to begin.

"What can I say, it was fun while it lasted."

Conan dropped to the ground, grabbing his clothes in a hurry. He was in no way interested in being late to class. Once done he left the room, making sure he had everything he required.

"Not you too." Kogoro said watching as he headed for the door.

"What do you mean?" Conan asked bringing a hand to the knob.

"After what happened I thought you kids would want to stack it here for the day," Kogoro replied. "What's missing one day of school going to do anyway?"

Conan laughed in response.

"We only have two days left until the weekend," Conan stated. "Besides I'm pretty sure my friends are going too."

"Huh, have it your way," Kogoro said sitting back. "If it were me I'd camp it out here."

Conan turned back for the door, exiting with the shake of his head. It was a slow walk there, still thinking about the events of two nights ago. Who were those three men, and what was it they wanted? But more captivated to his mind was something that had happened, something he had not been truly truthful about. He arrived to the front of the school to find most of his friends waiting.

"I told you he'd come." Ayumi said.

"Hey Conan, how come you didn't join us after you called the police?" Genta asked.

"They... told me to stay put from where I stood."

"That explains that," Mitsuhiko said. "I presume you met Red Robin as well?"

"I sure did, he's the one who lead me out the other side." Conan stated.

"Have you heard from Ai," Ayumi asked. "I tried calling her this morning but she didn't pick up."

"She's probably just asleep," Conan replied. "I wouldn't be surprised if she stays home for the day."

"Hey, maybe we could head over after school." Mitsuhiko suggested.

"Sounds good to me!" Ayumi yelled in agreement.

"I'm not busy, I'll go to," Genta said. "What about you Conan, are you going to come?"

He nodded.

"We'll all go together."

Ready to begin the day, the four of them headed for class.

They sat to one of the many tables, going back and forth on their little agreement. Many walked past, Sonoko looking up just as Ran took a seat to the side of her.

"There you are," Sonoko said. "I called you this morning, how come you didn't answer?"

"My phone was up at the station," Ran replied. "I didn't get it back until five minutes before coming here."

"So what happened?"

"I.. I don't remember much, my mind was so clouded." Ran said.

"But you had to have remembered something, right?"

"He was there..... Shinichi."

"Shinichi was there," Sonoko questioned. "Are you sure?"

"I'm positive."

"Isn't that the guy you mentioned at the park?" Tim asked from across the table.

Ran nodded.

"So, what did he say?" Sonoko asked.

"We didn't have much time to talk," Ran answered. "He kept on saying we need to hurry, almost as if someone was coming after us."

"I wonder what he could have meant." Tim said acting clueless.

"How'd you get out?" Sonoko asked.

"I don't remember," Ran replied. "The last thing I recall was when we, we..."

"We," Sonoko questioned. "What did you do?"

"Never mind," Ran said with the turn of her head. "Most of what happened is a blur anyway."

"The good thing is you're safe," Sonoko said placing a hand over hers. "You had me so worried."

Tim smiled at this. Sonoko noticing glared back.

"What were you two talking about before I came over?" Ran asked.

"Tim here was in talks of backing out on what we agreed on," Sonoko stated. "Says he's to busy to help me with my chemistry grade."

"Here's some advice," Tim said. "How about paying attention to Mrs. V instead of everything else when class is underway?"

"Fine, but you still owe me at least one sit down session."

"To bad mashed potatoes aren't on the menu today." Tim jokingly said.

"What did you just say!"

"Can't the two of you get along," Ran calmingly asked. "At least for one day?"

He was one of the first out when the final bell rang, making his way to the school yard. His friends joined him shortly there after.

"That was a pretty quick day considering." Mitsuhiko said.

"Conan did you catch up with all the notes you missed yesterday?" Genta asked.

"Yea, I jotted down all the important stuff," Conan replied. "Haibara's the one in for a treat."

"Or we could just make her a copy of our notes." Ayumi said.

"Most defiantly,"  Mitsuhiko agreed. "I'm sure she'd appreciate that."

They skipped along, making their way down block to the next. Once there, they came to find the gate opened. Dr. Agasa stood to the front of the door, waving over to them.

"Doc what are you doing out here," Conan asked as they approached. "Expecting someone?"

"As a matter a fact I was," Hiroshi confirmed. "It's good to see that all of you were able to make it."

"Where's Ai?" Ayumi asked anxiously.

"She's inside resting," Hiroshi said opening the door. "Why don't you all come in, I'm sure she'll be pleased to see you."

They accepted his proposal, walking in one after the other. There she was, laying to the couch. Her eyes peaked open at the sound of them approaching.

"How long have you been laying there?" Mitsuhiko asked.

"For much of the day." Ai replied.

"I see you have your stuffed rabbit with you." Ayumi pointed.

Ai looked to her side, noticing it sitting to the upper corner of the couch.

"I didn't even see it there." Ai said reaching for it.

"So how are you feeling," Conan asked. "Compared to that of yesterday?"

"Better I suppose, still rather tired though."

"Conan," Hiroshi called out after closing the front door. "Can I speak to you alone for a moment?"

"Of course," Conan replied before looking to the others. "I'll be right back you guys."

He followed him over to the computer where Agasa took a seat to the chair.

"So tell me Shinichi, how do you feel," Hiroshi asked. "I heard about your most recent transformation."

"Haibara told you, didn't she?"

"No, it was actually Timothy who let me in on your most recent episode." Hiroshi informed.

"What," Conan exclaimed. "Tim told you?!"

Ai looked over at the rise in his voice level.

"Not only that," Dr. Agasa continued. "He told me everything, even about his alter ego."

"What about Haibara," Conan asked glimpsing over to her. "Does she know?"

"No, he asked for me not to tell her."

"Guess that makes the both of us," Conan said dropping his hands to his pocket. "So how did he go about telling you?"

"Tim informed me that you had been abducted along with the others," Hiroshi stated. "He came to me in hopes of us tracking you down through your detective badges."

"So that's how he was able to find us." Conan said feeling enlightened.

"I'm afraid I don't fully understand Conan," Hiroshi said. "What exactly is it that he does when donning that mask?"

Conan thought about this for a second, trying to find the simplest answer he could possibly come up with.

"He's technically a super hero, if you wanna call it that," Conan finally answered. "That's the best way to think of it."

"Where is he now?"

"Not sure."

Conan brought the phone from his pocket, calling him on the spot.

"Hey, where are you?"

"On my way to that press conference," Tim replied. "Why, is something wrong?"

"Agasa was wondering," Conan said. "What do you hope to find out at this little thing?"

"Don't know what to expect, but I'm interested to see who this guy is," Tim stated. "Any chance you can have a talk with Ai?"

"What about?"

"I'm wondering what she might have seen while in that place," Tim replied. "Any information you're able to gain could be helpful."

"May have to hold off on that request," Conan said looking over. "She's kinda the center of attention with the others right now."

"Don't stress it, whenever the opportunity arrises you can take it," Tim said. "I'll call you as soon as this conference ends."

"I'll be waiting."

He hung up with those last words, looking back to Agasa who stood from the chair.

"So where is he?"

"On his way to a conference being held outside of the facility we were held in."

"Not surprising," Hiroshi said. "After something like that occurs it calls for a public showing."

"Conan we're going to head to the park," Genta said walking over. "Are you going to come?"

He looked up to Agasa then back.

"You can count me in."

Ai slid down from the couch, taking straight to her room.

"I won't be long," Ai said. "I'm going to change into something else."

"Take your time, we're in no hurry." Mitsuhiko said.

The cab continued down the road, nearing to the place he anxiously awaited to arrive to. It came to a stop in the closing minute, grabbing his school bag he still carried with him before stepping out.

"Now to find where this little thing is being held."

He listened for the voices that traveled through the air, taking to the right side of the building. The lot was loaded with newscasters, security officials, and even bystanders. Tim made his way through the crowd, getting a clear view of where the podium stood.

"Looks like I haven't missed anything," Tim thought looking to his watch. "Should be starting anytime now."

Tim scoured the area with the turn of his head, catching sight of a limo coming to a stop a few yards away.

"Looks like it's show time."

He watched as the door to the limo opened, his eyes growing wide at who he saw. He still couldn't believe it, watching him head all the way up to the podium.

"Bondo Salvonte," Tim said letting his shades slide downward. "I can't believe it."

He quieted the crowd with his opening statement, everyone ready to hear what he had to say. And so it began. Most of what was said went through one ear and out the other, having a good idea he wouldn't gain any further insight on the matter. He patiently waited for the speech to come to an end, which took a little over an hour. This was it, his chance to speak with him.

"Let's hope he's up to answering a question or two."

There was a small opening, allowing for him to get a clean path to where the limo wait. He noticed him right away amongst the crowd as he walked, coming to a stop to face him.

"Timothy, what a surprise to see you," Bondo said. "What are you doing here?"

"Heard about what happened on the news," Tim replied. "I was wondering if I could ask a few questions, that is if it's ok with you of course."

"Come," Bondo said opening the limo door. "Let us go for a ride."

He smiled, accepting his offer with a step forward. They eased in, driving off to see those to the surrounding area. It was just the two of them back there, neither saying a word for the first few moments of the ride.
"I heard about that little party you attended," Bondo spoke. "I was glad to hear no one was hurt in that explosion."

"I'm assuming your sister told you."

"Silvia said you played a little detective with that boy," Bondo said with a pause. "Conan, that is his name if I recall."

"That's right."

"It seems when you two are together danger is almost sure to ensue."

"I'd hope not," Tim said resting back. "But then again, fate has it's unpredictable ways."  

"I've thought that much myself," Bondo said. "Well enough about that, what is it you had on your mind?"

"I was wondering what it is exactly that is taking place at that facility."

"Research of course, regarding the interest of finding cure for multiple diseases and sickness," Bondo replied. "As you know, it can be a very slow and time consuming process."  

"What about the reports on a Doctor Feltonn," Tim asked. "What happened to him?"

"To be honest, I'm not so sure," Bondo answered. "I suspect there may be someone working their own agenda."

"You mean someone within your company?"

"I can't confirm anything at this time, but I'm almost sure of it," Bondo stated. "We've had glitches throughout the system for the past few weeks."

"That doesn't sound good."

"It's something I plan to have handled within the next few days," Bondo said. "It's not something I'm to concerned about."

"Someone else working from the inside...... but who?"

They had gone to the park just as planned, trying their best to forget about the events of the two past days. Conan sat to a bench over looking the park, waiting for the right opportunity for her to be alone. How things were looking, it might not be for awhile to come. At that very second his phone buzzed, taking his attention elsewhere.

"That's Ran, must be wondering where I am."

He answered it, giving her an update on his whereabouts. She informed him she would be getting home late due to another after school karate session. Conan put his phone away once finished, feeling he may have to wait additional time before asking Ai about what she may have seen.

"Conan aren't you going to come over and hang with us?" Ayumi asked looking his way.

"You look so secluded over there all by yourself." Mitsuhiko said. "Are you sure you're feeling better?"

"Of course I am," Conan said dropping down from the bench. "I was just about to head over."

"Good," Genta remarked. "Because we were just about ready to start."

"Start what," Conan questioned. "Are we playing some kind of game?"

"Trust me," Mitsuhiko said. "You're going to love this."

Conan brought a hand to the back of his head, having no idea what he had in mind.

"Why do I have the feeling this is something they completely came up with?" Conan thought.

It wasn't until five O'clock that he arrived back to the apartment. There was defiantly something going on regarding Mr. Salvonte's company, but that's not where his focus could afford to be. It was Thursday, the day the meeting at the Billian Hotel was to take place. If what Nightel said was true, this would be his chance to intersect anything that may happen while apprehending Gin in the process.

He took a seat to the chair, monitoring the video footage through the surveillance cameras he had set up around the premises a day ago. He leaned forward after seeing someone head through one of the side doors.

"That's Freil," Tim said. "But what is he doing there?"

He kept him in his sights, looking to the top videos which fed him a visual of the rooftops.

"I'm almost certain they'll have someone stake it up there," Tim thought. "Better keep a watch out, once everything is a go I'm moving in."

He continued to watch on for over an hour, it wasn't til then that he saw him enter through the front doors.

"And there's the man of the hour," Tim thought sighting Gin. "But who's the woman with him?"

She was dressed in all black just as Gin. Tim hadn't seen her before, was she a member of the organization? The two of them took to a small restaurant within the hotel. Just as he looked to his watch someone appeared to the roof, the one located north/east to the front entrance of the Billian Hotel. Tim immediately recognized who it was.

"Looks like my speech buddy Korn has joined the fray," Tim said taking note of the rifle in his grasp. "I doubt they plan on shooting for the kill, he must be there for if anything goes wrong."  

One thing was still missing, the main piece to the puzzle. Michael Craig. He was the car dealer Nightel had spoken about, but where was he?

"Don't wanna move in just yet, gotta figure out how they plan on doing this."

Everything played into action in the next minute, Mr. Craig heading in through the front doors.

"Bingo, now we're in business."

Gin glimpsed up from the paper, looking to the woman who sat to the other table a few feet away. She nodded in return with the snap of her finger. Not long after a waitress to the front desk walked over, dropping a slip of paper to the table before walking off.

"What's going on here?"

Tim continued to look on, watching as she jotted down a message before tilting the end of her hat. The waitress headed back in response, taking the slip of paper with her. She took it to a table located in the back corner, placing it to where he sat alone.

"There's Freil," Tim said. "Looks like they're in the final stages of preparation, which means I better move in."  

The time was ticking, and he still had no idea what their plan was. He found himself suited with just over a minute, tossing a black bag over his shoulder which carried extra contents. It was still relatively light out, so watching out for spectators was a higher priority than usual. He continued to watch the video footage through a device to his wrist, making his way to the hotel where it was all to take place.

"Almost there," Red Robin said. "Can see the hotel from here."

He glimpsed back to his wrist to see the three of them still sitting to the same place. He finally came to a stop once reaching a building to the west side of the hotel. With the use of his cowl Red Robin zoomed in on Korn from afar, looking to see he had a pair of binoculars faced to one of the many windows.

"Besides the hotel, is there any other roof tops he has a clear visual of," Red Robin said scouring the distance. "There's a building right behind, not to mention the construction site to the left."  

His attention fell back to the surveillance footage, the woman dressed in black finally pushing up from where she sat. Gin kept his eyes elsewhere as she passed.

"Looks like they're making their move."

Michael Craig stood to the front desk, talking with one of the clerks. She passed by placing a small device to his briefcase, evilly grinning as she did. Gin pleased by this stood from his chair, heading out through the front doors. Freil followed after him in the minute following.

"That's strange," Red Robin said. "Why is it that she's the only one not to leave?"

That wasn't the only thing to his mind. What was it she had put to the side of his briefcase? Something that needed to be detonated perhaps? After finishing up his little chat with the clerk, Mr. Craig laughingly headed for the elevators. She responded to this, pulling some type of remote from her hand bag, walking to where the restrooms were located.

"Finally, I know what their plan is," Red Robin thought. "That would explain why she never left like the others did."

He dropped his hand to the bag over his shoulder, zipping it open with a plan in mind.

"I had planned on using this on Gin," Red Robin admitted. "But given the circumstances this could work just as well."

Time was short, moving as quickly as he could with the first stage of his little deception.

It was quiet once in, the only sound coming from those in the lobby. She looked to the remote, checking the status of where he was through it's grid-like tracking system. A few minutes passed in wait.

"Excellent, he's almost to his room."

She traced her thumb over the button to the center, pleased to see all was going as planned. The door to the bathroom swung from behind causing her to jump, shocked at who stood before her.

"Vodka, what are you doing here," She questioned as he locked the door. "Did you forget this is the women's bathroom?"

"There's been a change in plans," Vodka replied. "We're calling it off, this hit may raise too many questions."

"Your voice," She said with a step back. "You sound a little off, are you ok?"

Vodka didn't pay her comment any attention, not saying a word in return. She then looked back to the remote, getting confirmation he had arrived back to his room.

"Time to set those fireworks off." She said pleasingly.

Before she could click down to the button, the remote flew from her hand at the force of a flying object. She looked up to Vodka in confusion, the last thing coming to her eye was that of him swinging something at her, rendering her unconscious.

"Phase one is complete, now for the next stage."

They had played at the park for a little over an hour, putting their game on hold for another time. The rest of the group had gone their separate ways, leaving Conan and Ai the lone two still walking.

"So how did it feel?"

"What do you mean?" Conan asked looking up from the ground.

"You said it felt different when you transformed," Ai began. "When you reverted back did it feel different than usual?"

"I don't remember," Conan replied. "Those toxins in the air must have knocked me out, when I awoke I was back to where I am now."

"I see."

They turned at the end of the block, arriving to the street. Conan followed her all the way up to the gate, both stopping once there.

"Are you coming in?" Ai asked.

"Haven't been to the house yet, don't want Ran to get worried."

"Of course," Ai said. "Then I'll see you tomorrow."

Ai turned for the gate with Conan taking a step at her.

"Haibara can I ask you something?"

She turned back to him, giving him a nod after a slight pause.

"Back at that facility, when we parted ways," Conan began. "What happened?"

"What do you mean?"

"Did you happen to come across something I might not have?"

"Can't say I did," Ai replied. "But I did over hear a conversation taking place inside some kind of lab."

"Did they see you?"

She shook her head from left to right.

"I hid behind a desk."

"So what did you hear," Conan asked. "Anything that might explain what they were doing there?"

"No, but I did hear them speak of some kind of merger," Ai replied. "Between them and some other company."

"Do you remember the name?" Conan asked.

"It leaves me at the moment, but I know it ended in Corp," Ai answered. "I'll see what I can find tonight."

"That would be great," Conan said. "Thanks Haibara."

She smiled in return, walking through the front gate.

"See you tomorrow Shinichi."

Conan nodded, reaching for his phone while turning to walk. He dialed his number, finding it go straight to the answering machine.

"His phone must be off, I'll have to call him later tonight."  

Sirens soared through the air as an ambulance truck drove by. The sun had finally lowered down for the night, the stars shinning bright in the distance. A warm wind blew by, her eyes opening at the sound of the fading sirens. She was strapped in place, hanging upside down with the turn of her head. Where was she, some kind of construction site? It was highly uncomfortable on many levels. Her vision slowly came back, seeing him knelt down a few feet away from her. It all became clear what had happened.

"Sleeping beauty has finally decided to awake, so what's your name?"

She didn't reply.

"Fine, I'll go first," He said slightly leaning in. "I'm Red Robin, and you?"

She remained silent.

"Jeez, you're just as talented a speaker as your boyfriend Korn," Red Robin remarked. "What... does he not allow for you to talk to other guys?"

She kept her poise, not responding to anything he said.

"Playing hard to get I see, no matter," Red Robin stated pulling a phone from his side. "Found this in your pocket, according to those trying to contact you your names Chianti."

He had finally gotten to her, a look of frustration coming over her.

"I also know what your plan was regarding Michael Craig," Red Robin said. "You put an explosive to the side of his briefcase, at first I couldn't figure out why you didn't take off with the others."

He pulled the detonator from his utility belt, holding it out for her to see.

"Gave this thing a further look," Red Robin continued. "It works through wave paths, going to far off target will render it useless, am I right?"

Chianti clutched her fists, unaware to him.

"You waited for him to head back to his room, that's when you planned on setting it off," Red Robin said. "That way you'd only take out the target, avoiding as many casualties as possible."

She spat out with Red Robin dodging his head to the side.

"So predictable, though I was expecting you to try that a little sooner." Red Robin tauntingly stated.

"You're so dead," Chianti said trying to wiggle free. "You hear me, you're a dead man."

"Wouldn't try struggling if I were you," Red Robin stated. "That grapple cord is some of the best in the business, you're not going anywhere."

"Then why am I here, what do you want with me?!"

"I want you to talk," Red Robin replied. "What was written to that slip of paper you two were passing around?"

"I'd die before telling you."

"I figured that much." Red Robin said pulling her phone out once.

She watched as he typed away.

"Doesn't matter if she won't tell me, might be able to get a visual through the video recordings I have."

"What are you doing?" Chianti asked bitterly.

"Sending an S.O.S." Red Robin replied. "If you won't talk to me, maybe your buddy will."

"What are you talking about?"

"Just gave Korn our location," Red Robin replied. "He should be able to see us from his current position."

"What the hell are you trying to do now?!"

"You're unwilling to talk, let's see if he will."

Just as expected the rifle pointed their way. Red Robin jumped away as the first shot was fired, taking to another building with the use of his grappler.

"It's not usually smart to play with a sniper from this distance away, especially not someone as skilled as Korn," Red Robin thought. "But this is the only way it will work, by the time he realizes, he will have already fallen into my trap."

Korn continued to fire away, Red Robin gaining headway with every swing. He looked back to see Chianti still hanging in place. He landed to another building, quickly spinning off of a pole as the bullets continued to fly after him.

"That's right, keep shooting away." Red Robin thought to himself. "Not much longer, this is almost over."

As he swung to the next building his cable line was shot, sending him gliding down.

"That wasn't Korn's shot," Red Robin said turning to see what appeared to be the swat team taking to one of the buildings nearby. "Is this some kind of joke?"

He then turned to see Korn leap away from the building he stood, taking down to the streets.

"Red Robin this is the police, do not try to resist," One of them said speaking through a microphone. "Put your hands in the air where we can see them."

"I can't believe this just happened."

Red Robin slammed a smoke bomb to the ground, swinging off with the use of his grappler.

"Stay on him!"

He quickly lost them after taking to higher grounds, blending in with that of a few statues sitting at the roof of a building. He slammed his fist to the ground, he had been so close, only to have the whole thing explode in his face.

"I can't believe it," Red Robin said with the close of his eyes. "How did the police know I was there?"

This ran through his mind as he stood in wait, the warm breeze from earlier turning into a cool one. It was quiet up here, the sound of the city below more of a whisper to the ears than anything else. He continued his watch for the next ten minutes. He reopened his eyes, slightly lifting his head up.

"You've been there since I got here," Red Robin stated. "What is it you want... Kaitou Kid?"

He stepped from the shadows with Red Robin turning to face him.

"How'd you know I was there?"

"I get enough of that back home," Red Robin replied. "I have no interest in chasing you tonight, but I'm pretty sure that's not why you're here."

"That is correct," Kaitou Kid confirmed. "I need your help."

"My help," Red Robin questioned lifting a brow. "I don't even trust you, why then should I help you?"

Kaitou Kid pulled a plastic bag from behind, a spiked knife with blood laying inside.

"What happened?"

"Two innocent people were killed after leaving a club," Kaitou Kid informed. "They were stabbed multiple times with this knife."

"Then why do you have it," Red Robin asked. "Shouldn't something like that be left for the police?"

"Listen," Kaitou Kid Snapped. "I witnessed what happened, the man who did it was.... he was dressed in attire similar to my own."

"That doesn't give you the right to take evidence from the crime scene," Red Robin said. "So let me guess, you think this guy is framing you?"

Kid nodded in response.

"I wasn't the only one who saw what happened, there were a few others," Kaitou Kid continued on. "They were the ones to report it to the police."

"If that's the case, then how come I didn't hear about it on the news?"

"It happened only about an hour ago, you'll probably see the story on the front page," Kaitou Kid answered. "And given my relationship with the police force I couldn't  go to them, that left you."

"Why come to me?" Red Robin asked.

"You're a detective," Kaitou Kid replied. "Figuring that out wasn't hard, especially after our first encounter."

He fell silent for a moment, giving what he said some thought.

"You do believe me, right?"

"Don't know," Red Robin said turning away. "For all I know you could be coming to me to throw you off as a suspect."

"I'd never kill anyone," Kaitou Kid stated. "Please Redbird.... take this, there's got to be something you can find that can lead us to this guy."

"Us," Red Robin questioned. "There is no us, at least not until I can trust you."

He took the plastic bag into his hand, sticking it into his utility belt.

"I see you're in a bit of a situation yourself."

"You could say that," Red Robin said. "Don't know how the police found me."

"Bystanders," Kaitou Kid replied. "They were watching you from the streets."

"You really were watching me."

At that second a bright light shined upon the two of them, Red Robin turning with the spin of his cape. A helicopter hovered over them, guns pointed and all.

"Red Robin, Kaitou Kid, this is the police," One of them said through a microphone. "Hands in the air and don't move."

"This is not good." Kaitou Kid said.

"Move!!" Red Robin instructed.

With that the two of them launched from the building, away from where the helicopter was.

"Get them," He shouted. "They must not be allowed to escape!"

They landed to the first building Kaitou looking to Red Robin as they ran.

"Think they may actually try to shoot us?"

"I'm someone they really don't want around," Red Robin replied. "And you went from kid thief to kid killer, won't be surprised in the least if they take their shots."

They jumped to the next building with a net springing toward Kaitou Kid. While in mid air Red Robin spun back tossing a birdrang slicing it before it could connect.

"So you do believe me." Kaitou Kid said acknowledging the save as they landed.

"Shut up and keep running." Red Robin replied.

Just as expected, gun fire could be heard from behind as they landed to another roof.

"We're sitting ducks," Kaitou Kid stated. "Do you have a plan?"

"Yes, but we'll need to get to lower grounds to reach it," Red Robin replied. "Do you have any of your disguises with you?"

Kaitou Kid nodded.

"Never leave home without it."

"Good because you might need it." Red Robin informed.

With the helicopter gaining they dropped down to the streets, spectators screaming at the clashing bullets.

"Hold your fire dammit, there are civilians down there," He striked. "Where are our ground men, they should be able to cut them off."

"They're already heading in that direction as we speak sir." A man to the side of him said.

"Good, we can't let these two crooks get away."

They turned the block to see the swat unit coming from the other side.

"Now what?"

"In here," Red Robin pointed as they skipped into a beauty shop. "We'll take through the side door."

Many screamed as they darted pass.

"My apologies ladies." Kaitou Kid said with the tip of his hat.

Once reaching the back Red Robin forced the door open with a kick, the two of them running down another street.

"There they are," One shouted. "They went that way!"

"Please tell me we're almost to this place you have in mind."

"Just a couple more blocks," Red Robin answered. "Don't fall out on me now."

They dipped around another corner as bullets flew.

It was quiet where he laid, looking to the side of himself to grab his phone. He sat up from the bed, trying to call him once more. He received no answer.

"I've been trying to reach him for most of the night, what could he possibly be doing?"

He could hear the sound of foot steps approaching, his door flinging open in the seconds that followed.

"Conan come quick," Ran exclaimed in excitement. "You're missing one of the wildest chases I've ever seen."

Conan dropped down from the bed making his way out to where Kogoro and Ran sat, both their eyes glued to the TV. He looked up, becoming wide eyed at the sight of seeing both Kaitou Kid and Red Robin on the run.

"You have got to be kidding me."

The chase continued on for minutes to come. The two of them flipped over a small fence, heading straight for what appeared to be an empty warehouse.

"They're gaining on us Redbird."

"That just means we need to pick up the pace."

The door to the warehouse was open, the two of them closing it once in. It was empty, only that of a fishless water tank sitting to the corner. Kaitou Kid pulled kite string from within his pocket, connecting one end to the door knob and the other to the tank.

"What are you doing," Red Robin questioned. "We need to keep moving."

"Hold your feathers bird boy," Kaitou remarked. "This will slow them down."

He finished the last knot before the two of them took off running once more. The swat team arrived to the door, turning the door knob to check to see if it was locked.

"We're clear, let's head in."

They forced it open while running in, only to have the tank of water fall over causing them to slip.

"Just wait until I get my hands on them!!" He yelled storming back to his feet only to fall again.

They made their way out through an open window to the back, landing to a field filled with nothing but tall grasses.

"This was your epic plan," Kaitou Kid said. "Hiding in a batch of grass?"

"We're not done, come on."

With that they continued to run. They came to a stop after reaching a cliff, a river flowing by below.

"Dead end Redbird," Kaitou Kid stated. "Now what?"

"We jump," Red Robin replied. "Time to go swimming with the fish."

Kaitou Kid gulped at this.

"Are you sure about this," Kaitou Kid said feeling the sweet roll down the side of his face. "There's got to be a better option."

"What's wrong," Red Robin asked with a grin. "Can't swim?"

"It's not that," Kaitou Kid replied laughingly. "I was under the impression birds couldn't swim, just looking out for you is all."

He could hear their foot steps, only a few yards from reaching them.

"No time for jokes," Red Robin said pushing him over. "We don't have time."

He jumped in after him, the two falling toward the river below.

"I don't like this one bit!" Kaitou Kid yelled putting a hand up to keep his hat in place.

Red Robin smiled at his complaints, the two of them splashing in soon after. The police stood over the ledge, pointing their lights down to the river. Disgust followed in the next few seconds.

"They got away..... unacceptable!"

They searched the river for hours to come, not able to find or retrieve a body, let alone both of them.

It struck past mid night, the two of them pushing up from the sewer where they hid. They took back to the roofs, taking to one of the more shadowed areas.

"Those disguises worked after all." Red Robin replied rolling it up. "The police had no idea we slipped right past them."

"Didn't know you did the disguise thing," Kaitou Kid stated. "Who were you supposed to be impersonating anyway?"

"Some guy named Vodka," Red Robin replied. "Looks like this disguise helped in more ways than I thought tonight."

Silence fell between the two for a few moments.

"So what happens from here?"

"I'll run some tests on the knife you gave me," Red Robin replied. "But I do have one question, have you been working for someone?"

Kaitou turned away, walking to the end of the building.

"You can tell me," Red Robin said. "Let me help."

"I can't talk about that right now, it's....."

Kaitou Kid couldn't finish his sentence, dropping from the building where they stood. He let him go, feeling he had enough action for one night. Besides, he knew he'd see him again.

Though it had been a night of reveal, it had left more questions to be answered than what they had set out to find. He awoke early the next morning, the sun barely peaking up in the far distance. He rolled to his side, switching on the TV before getting out of bed. He turned his phone on to see he had multiple missed calls.

"Wow, never expected my message box to blow up like this."

Besides Conan and Heiji, he had several missed calls from those back home.

"What did I do to get so popular?"

In that instance his phone began to ring, looking down to see the number of his only ally who hadn't called up until now.

"Hey Bruce, what's going on?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

"What do you mean?" Tim asked.

"How about we start with last night?"

His eyes glimpsed over to the television, seeing the recap of the chase which had taken place the previous night. Everything coming back to him in a speed rush.

"I can explain." Tim stated.

"And I'm ready to listen," Bruce said. "What were you doing running around with someone like Kaitou Kid?"

"You've heard about him?"

"Not until this morning," Bruce said. "I checked up on him after seeing the two of you dodging the police."

"It's all one big confusing turn of events," Tim said. "Class doesn't start for another two hours, I've got plenty of time."

"We'll talk, just not now."

"Why not," Tim asked. "Are you busy."

"I have something to look over," Bruce replied. "But we'll see."

"How's everyone else doing?"

"Adjusting to the situation." Bruce answered.

"What situation?" Tim asked.

"It's nothing to worry about," Bruce replied. "I have to let you go now, something has come to my attention."

"Talk to you soon." Tim finished.

With that the two of them hung up. He sat to the end of the bed in silence, tossing his phone to the side. Something didn't feel right. What was he keeping from him, and why?"

"He said we'll see.... what did he mean by that?"

To Be Continued


    






Converting /tmp/php7mBed0 to /dev/stdout