Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Undercover Alliance ( Chapter 41 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 41
Undercover Alliance

"Now what, I'm a sitting duck."

There was no other way out, frozen to where he stood. Several scenarios went through his mind as the entrance door flew wide, watching as they raised and pointed their weapons to all sides of the room. He was unable to move, unsure how they'd respond at any attempt of doing so. The sound of a window shattering from behind caused him to budge just slightly, feeling himself taken to the ground as the first shots were fired. It was no surprise when he turned to see who had taken him to the ground.

"Stay down."

Heiji did as instructed, rolling too his stomach to see Freil taking cover behind a chair. Many screamed as the shooting escalated, all rifles quickly setting too him.

"Who is this guy?!" One yelled finding his shots missing wide.

"It's Red Robin, make sure he doesn't escape," Another replied pulling down to the trigger to lose sight of him. "Where'd he go?"

"There's no Red Robin here folks," Dick said touching down behind the two. "The names Nightwing."

They immediately spun around only to be kicked to the ground. The three remaining men took aim once more, having their guns knocked from their hands with the use of his escrima sticks.

"Are we done yet," Nightwing asked. "Or would you boys like to dance some more?"

"What in the hell are you doing here," One of them spat. "This has nothing to do with you."

"I'm sorry, was I interrupting something." Nightwing asked tauntingly.

"Yea, and you're going to wish you hadn't."

"Well, better make it fast," Nightwing informed. "The police station is just up the block, I can hear the sirens heading our way already."

They became hesitant, looking to one another. The police sirens became louder with each passing second, everyone to the ground keeping their positions. It didn't take long for them to give in, running for the door with the grab of their weapons.

"The times ticking freak," One of them yelled as they ran. "You haven't seen the last of us, that's a guarantee!"

They made it back to their vehicles in a quick fashion, speeding off right on the spot. Heiji slowly pushed too his knees, watching as Nightwing slammed a pair of smoke bombs to the ground. He inhaled some of what came his way, feeling the muscles tense up to the chest, his eyes lingering with a burning sensation. He coughed out with the grip of his chest, feeling himself lifted from the ground.

No action had been taken yet, both waiting for the other to make the first move. He took a step away from the body, keeping eye connection with him the whole way.

"You have to believe me, I'm not the one who did this."

"So you just happened to be swooping by and saw the body laying here," Makoto said not giving in one bit. "Now the question becomes, what you did with the other body."

"Other body," Red Robin questioned. "There was someone else up here?"

"Don't play the lost lamb, you know what I'm talking about."

"You misunderstand, I came up here after hearing a few gun shots fired." Red Robin said.

"Lucky you, being in right place at the right time to hear all of this," Makoto said undoing his tie. "Between this and running from the police, you've given me little to believe anything you say."

"He has a point," Red Robin thought. "And there's nothing I can say to change his mind, gotta think fast, his patience with me is dwindling with every passing second."

He stood firm as Makoto approached, running out of ideas to weather down the situation.
"You have one last chance," Makoto said stopping just inches away. "Turn yourself in, it's the only rationale thing to do."

"Not happening."

"Then you leave me with no choice," Makoto said rolling up his sleeves. "I'll have to take you in myself."

"Good luck with that." Red Robin said taking a fierce kick to the chest causing him to lose his footing.

"Woh, this guys quick," Red Robin thought readying himself for combat. "Gotta be on my toes, there's no telling what I'm in for."

Makoto followed up with a quick jab to the head as a distraction, landing a punishing knee to the gut. He finished his assault with a power roundhouse kick to the head, sending him to the ground in success. He popped right up only to have Kyogoku jump at him with the wrap of his legs too his neck, taking them both to the ground this time. Makoto instantly flipped back too his feet, taking into his stance once again. He laid there for a few moments longer, feeling the head aching affects of landing face first to the ground.

"...Ok, now that was just embarrassing," Red Robin said slowly pushing up. "Guess I underestimated him just a bit, that's not going to happen again."

"Are we done yet?" Makoto asked.

"Not a chance."

"Have it your way, but I'd advice against continuing this fight for your sake."

"Then let's not," Red Robin said. "We could figure out what happened to this woman, together."

"Enough," Makoto said launching forward. "I will not be deceived by your continuous denial of having any involvement."

Red Robin unleashed a damaging uppercut on contact, sending him flying to the ground. Makoto landed too his right hand, swinging a kick at Red Robin who dodged it with a backward jump.

"Wow he's got some extreme balance, I'm impressed."

With his left hand touching down as well, he flipped right back into action.

"I don't think words are going to shift his mind," Red Robin thought to himself. "But I think I know what might just do the trick."

Makoto continued his pursuit, engaging him once more. They continued to exchange hits, feeling the advantage slipping his way the longer it went on.

"He's falling back," Makoto thought as they neared the edge of the roof. "I've got him right where I want him."

He elbowed him to the side of the jaw keeping him on his backward decline. The opportunity had finally risen. Makoto leaped forward with a clean kick to his chest plate, sending him flying off the side. He tried to grab his cape but missed, feeling a cold emptiness come over him.

"That wasn't supposed to happen." Makoto said racing toward the ledge.

He looked down to the streets, there was no sign of him, where had he gone?

"Boo."

Makoto spun around to see the grin to his face. Stunned within the moment, he was kicked from the roof himself, feeling the air glide through his hair the whole way down.

It didn't take long for the airway too his lungs to clear, standing too his feet from the rooftop they found themselves upon.

"What kind of smoke bombs did you unleash back there," Heiji asked bringing a hand too his still burning eyes. "Don't see why you didn't just leave me behind, those guys were taking off anyway."

"The police were coming, didn't want you to have to get questioned about the whole thing," Nightwing replied. "Besides, I'm almost positive Freil and his business buddy had no plans on sticking around either."

"What were those gunmen doing there anyway?"

"An obvious hit, I doubt they came to steal a platter of donuts," Dick said. "Tossed a tracer to one of their trucks on the way in."

"Nice going Grayson, now we'll be able to track them," Heiji commented. "What about Freil, who knows when they'll reschedule their little meeting to give us a chance at exposing them."

"Who knows, but I did manage to get a shot of the paper work Freil was looking over," Nightwing informed pointing to a mini wrist camera. "Slid this on earlier, looks like it came in handy."

"I'd say so."

"I'll analyze the footage a little later," Nightwing said. "But first I think we should give Tim a call, I'm sure he's on an update."

"Already ahead of you," Heiji said reaching too his pocket. "I'll tell him everything he needs to know."

Things didn't happen as he'd planned, closing his eyes at the sight of the sidewalk just a couple yards away. He gasped out, feeling something wrap to his left ankle which caused him to stop in mid air. It took him a few to realize he was being reeled back to the roof, looking too his eyes once in view.

"I see you're not much of a free faller." Red Robin said keeping a grip to the hook line.

"You kept me from reaching the roadway, why?" Makoto asked.

"Not to beat on the same door we've been through already," Red Robin replied. "But we're on the same side."

"How do I know that for sure?"

"Well for one, I stopped you from hitting turf," Red Robin began. "And two, I could still drop you if I wanted."

He hung in place for a few seconds longer, paying some mind to the situation as a whole. What he had said made sense, if he truly wasn't on his side he could have let him fall too his death.

"So what do you say," Red Robin asked in a calming matter. "Is it possible for us to see eye too eye?"

Makoto gave it one last thought, nodding in return. He pulled him back to the roof, both men looking to the other for the first passing seconds.

"Who are you exactly?" Makoto asked.

"Red Robin."

"I know that," Makoto stated. "I was referring more to the lines of what you do."

"That's a complex question, something I don't have much time to answer," Red Robin said. "Finding out what happened to this woman is my main concern."

"Is this the way you found her." Makoto asked as the two approached the body.

He nodded in response, kneeling down to further examine the body. There was a red mark too her upper right shoulder, something he had not taken notice of earlier. Sitting a few feet away laid a phone, looking down to see who her last call was too.

"She tried reaching the police before her death, that means they could be here any minute now," Red Robin thought. "And what about that mark too her shoulder, how did that get there?"

Makoto stood to the side of him, tapping his left shoulder to gain his attention.

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"You said something about someone else being up here with her," Red Robin said. "Could you give me a description of what they looked like?"

"Of course," Makoto replied recalling what he saw. "She had short black hair, wearing some stylish green dress with a pair of tan high heels."

"Nice color configuration," Red Robin side commented. "What about her eyes, did you get a good look at them?"

"Wasn't really paying attention too that," Makoto admitted. "But if memory serves, I'd say she had dark brown eyes."

"Typical enough." Red Robin thought.

He stood back too his feet, leveling his head downward walking from one end of the roof to the other. This was repeated an additional two times. Makoto didn't know what to think of this, waiting for him to finish whatever it was he was doing.

"Kyogoku, did you happen to see if she was carrying anything," Red Robin asked. "A purse perhaps?"

"As a matter a fact she did," Makoto confirmed. "Looked pretty pricey."

"Whatever the case it's missing," Red Robin pointed out. "Whoever took it must have yanked it from her, that would explain the bruise too her shoulder."

"What is it you were looking for on the ground?"

"Anything that may have evaded too any kind of scuffle," Red Robin replied. "There's also a pair of stairs connected to the left side of the wall, the other woman you mentioned must have used them to leave."

"You think she did it?"

"Can't be too sure," Red Robin answered. "There's still too many unanswered questions regarding this whole ordeal."

He took too a knee once more, giving the body another look. There had to be something that could shed light to what had happened, finding just that could be key.

"Then there's the gun shots I heard, yet there's no bullets here whatsoever."

He then looked to the surrounding buildings. Had the shooting taken place elsewhere? It was something that was left unanswered for the time being, hearing the ring of the codec too his ear as he stood back up.

"Hold on, this'll only take a second."

Makoto gave him his space, taking a few steps back.

"How'd it go?"

"A little good, and some unexpected," Nightwing replied. "You didn't answer your phone when Heiji called, where are you?"

"Running a little investigation," Red Robin said. "I guess you could say I've run into the unexpected myself."

"I'm just about to chase down a couple runaways," Nightwing informed. "There's no telling how many may be to their base, how soon until you can join me?"

"Don't know,  I've hit somewhat of a roadblock," Red Robin said. "On another note, what were the two of you able to find out about Freil's meeting?"

"They didn't say anything, but they were going over some papers," Nightwing informed. "Some kind of demography, with the top of the page reading Royal Mountain."

"Royal Mountain," Red Robin questioned. "Do you have any idea what that is?"

"Nope, haven't looked into it yet," Nightwing said. "I will as soon as I take care of business here, call if you need anything."

"Gotcha."

"Nightwing out."

He took a couple seconds to stand there to sort his thoughts, looking back to face him after doing so.

"Who was that?"

"A friend."

"Not that I was trying to listen in or anything, but I heard you mention Royal Mountain."

"That's correct," Red Robin said. "Would you happen to know what it is?"

"Of course, I've been there several times," Makoto said. "It's only about eight miles east from here."

"Is that so?"

"What business do you have there?"

"Don't know... yet," Red Robin said. "I have to go, but the police should be here anytime now."

"The police?"

"Before her death she managed to call them," Red Robin informed. "I want you to stay here and point out the things I was able to find."

"And what about you?" Makoto asked with the cross of his arms.

"I'm going to head too Royal Mountain," Red Robin replied. "Lets just say it's a place of interest."

"Then I'm going with you."

"No, you're not," Red Robin rejected. "You're going to stay here and wait for the police to arrive."

"Royal Mountain is a sacred place, they don't allow outsiders to enter very often," Makoto informed. "Besides you'd need security clearance to get through the main gate."

"My stealth skills should be more than enough to keep me hidden," Red Robin said. "And I'm sure I can get past any security that may stand in my way."

"No need to waste your time hiding around," Makoto said pulling a key card from his pocket. "When I could get us right through with the slide of a card."

"Why do you care to help so much?"

"Royal Mountain is an important place to me," Makoto replied. "If something is going on, I wanna know about it, besides I know the grounds very well."

There was no reasoning with him, turning away with a deep breath. He then pressed down too his ear piece, ready to set a plan in action.

"Nightwing it's me," Red Robin radioed. "Change in plans."

"What do you mean?"

"I need you to put your little chase on hold," Red Robin replied. "I want you to head back to wherever you've set up shop and clear up those pictures you took."

"Why, did you find something?"

"I'm going to go too Royal Mountain," Red Robin replied. "I need to know what I should be looking for."

"You work quick, not even five minutes later and you know where this place is," Nightwing said. "I'll head back to the hotel right away."

"Keep me updated."

With that he turned back to Makoto.

"You win," Red Robin said. "But we do things my way, understand?"

"Understood." Makoto said with a nod.

"Here's how we're going to do this," Red Robin said. "You're going to go down and catch a cab which will take you to the location, I'll follow you from up above."

"Anything else?"

"That's it for now," Red Robin said. "We'll figure out how everything else will work when we get there."

He had finally taken too his room for the night after watching a couple sport highlights, tossing on his night clothes while diving into bed. Conan laid his phone to the side of him, closing his eyes in the following seconds.

"I guess there's no harm in leaving it on," Conan thought. "Maybe he'll decide to finally call back."

Getting back to the hotel didn't take him very long. Sliding the camera device from his wrist, he plugged it into the computer. Heiji stood too his right side, waiting for it to load up. It didn't take very long for it to do so, Nightwing quickly going to work on it through an image program.

"How long do you think it will take for you to fully enhance it?"

"Not long," Nightwing replied. "Not long at all."

"So Drake's already on his way too this place," Heiji questioned. "Did he tell you how he found the location?"

"Nope," Nightwing said. "But he knows what he's doing, he'll be fine."

"Does he know what he's looking for?"

"Not yet, that's for us to find out."

"I see," Heiji said. "Guess that answers that."

It had been a long forty minutes, the cab finally coming to a stop once reaching a small bridge.

"This will be far enough."

He exited from the cab, closing the door behind. The water below the bridge sparkled from the presence of the moon, calmly drifting along down stream in an endless cycle. He could hear him drop down from behind, continuing to move forward.

"We walk from here."

"How much further?" Red Robin asked.

"About a ten minute walk," Makoto replied. "We should be there shortly."

It was dark, only that of the moon lighting their way. They followed along a dirt road, accompanied by the many tree's and bushes that surround them. The more they walked the more they found their minds rested, hearing the chirping of the crickets in the near distance.

"You're so quiet," Red Robin said. "Did something happen on the ride here?"

"You wouldn't understand."

"A woman?"

"Surprised you were able to figure."

"You're right," Red Robin said. "That's one complicated subject I can't seem to wrap my finger around."

It finally came into view, standing high above all the trees. He followed close behind as they pushed through a few bushes, gazing up too three large temples which patrolled the sky.

"We're here." Makoto said as they neared the gate.

"Now I see why they call this place Royal Mountain," Red Robin said. "From afar you could mistake these structures as a pair of mountains, especially at this time of night."

Makoto pulled the card key from his pocket after reaching the gate, sliding it downward to get a security clearance.

"There's no lights on," Makoto said looking to the temples. "It's not like that for the Grandmaster to close up so early."

"Grandmaster huh, what is this place exactly?"

"A place of reckoning and soul searching," Makoto replied. "Sensei Karu is one of the most gifted martial artists I've ever been able to train under."

"We'll wait here a little longer," Red Robin said. "I still need to hold off until I know what we're looking for."

With every passing second, the image became sharper and more clear then it had. He snapped his finger after completing the enhancements, thrilled to have everything laid out.

"So what's it say?" Heiji asked coming to his side.

"They're readings too something," Nightwing said. "Readings too some kind of diamond."

"You think this diamond is at the Royal Mountain somewhere." Heiji asked coming in closer.

"It must be," Nightwing replied. "Which means we know what Tim should be looking for."

"Time to call it in."

Makoto waited to the side as Red Robin finished up yet another conversation. No light to the temple bothered him, Karu usually always left a light on come night.

"Looks like we know what to look for," Red Robin said. "Would you happen to know where they'd keep jewels, or any valuables?"

"That would be to the first temple, second floor," Makoto replied. "What is it you hope to find."

"A rare diamond, I'll know when I see it."

"Follow me," Makoto said. "I'll take you to the gallery."

They walked through the short cut grass, entering the temple to the far left. It was pitch dark once in, Red Robin pulling a flash light from his belt to light the way. There was a purple carpet laid out to the ground, passing by many artistic features that sat pinned to the wall. Most were paintings, few being that of mounted in weaponry. This same trend stayed consistent all the way to the second floor. They knew right away something was wrong once reaching the room, looking to see much scattered to the ground.

"What happened here?" Red Robin questioned.

The sound of shallow breaths could be heard to the darkness of the room, flashing his light to the center of the floor to see a man laying too his back.

"Grandmaster," Makoto called out running too his side. "What happened?"

His eyes opened at the sound of his voice.

"Makoto.." He weakling spoke. "You're here."

"Who did this?"

"They came for.. for Gueto."

"Gueto," Makoto question. "Sansei, who is Gueto?"

He slowly reached down too his side, placing a shinning diamond too his hand.

"Take it," Karu said with the close of his eyes. "It's in your hands now."

A long moment of silence went by, Red Robin coming too his side.

"Is he...?"

"No, just unconscious," Makoto replied. "What do you think he was talking about?"

"I'd say it had something to do with them." Red Robin said flashing his light to three more laying bodies. "I'm betting those guys came to steal that diamond, looks like your Grandmaster got the better of them."  

Makoto stood back to his feet, not sure what to think on the matter. Everything was happening so quickly.

"Here," Red Robin said holding his hand out. "Give me the diamond, I promise I'll return it as soon as this is all over."

"What makes you think something's going on?"

"They attacked your sensei," Red Robin stated. "Who's to say there aren't more to come?"

Makoto took a few seconds to take his words in, deciding to hand him the diamond. Tim slid it into an empty slot in his belt, hearing the codec ring too his ear once more.

"What's going on?"

"It's me, Heiji."

"I thought Nightwing would be the one to call."

"He's already on his way there."

"Why," Red Robin asked. "I already have what we need."

"Those guys back at the donut shop, well there kinda heading your way." Heiji informed.

"How do you know that?"

"Dick placed a tracer to them, remember?"

"Red Robin I think you better come have a look." Makoto said looking out of one of the windows.

He made his way to the window as well, watching as three large trucks parked to the front of the temple they stood in.

"Who are these guys?"

"My bet, they're here for that diamond," Red Robin replied. "The Gueto."

They continued to look on, seeing them load up on ammunition as they headed in.

"We're screwed."

"Royally." Red Robin added.

He spun away from the window side, thinking up a plan. He shot a small device to one of the walls, making his first move for their escape. Waiting for Nightwing was not an option, for they had no idea how long it'd take for him to arrive.

"Time to make the call, Kudo might just be our way out."

To Be Continued



  
 





   

    






Converting /tmp/phpBUsFtk to /dev/stdout