Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Echo 2118 ( Chapter 52 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 52
Echo 2118

"What do you mean we're too late?"

He didn't reply to him, taking a left after reaching another street light.

"Where are we going," Conan asked. "I thought you said the water park was North-East."

"That's not where the explosion occurred." Dick informed.

"An explosion?"

"I don't have all the details," Dick said. "We'll have to wait until we get there to receive a full run down."

"How do you know this relates to the guy we're after?"

"Another note was left at the scene," Dick replied. "This time with the number eight attached."

"How far away are we from this place?" Conan asked.

"Sit tight, we'll be there momentarily."

Everything seemed to be  falling apart. Not only were they wrong on when the killer would strike, but where they would as well.

"I was almost certain the culprit would choose to make their next move at Slid Splash," Dick thought. "What could we have possibly missed?"

He turned left after coming to the end of the street, looking to find several police cars parked not too much farther up.

"Is this the place?"

"Yep, this is it."

They slowly eased their way past the many vehicles that were parked at the sides of the street, fortunately finding themselves a spot right in between two cars a few yards away from where the explosion had occurred.

"You coming out," Dick asked. "Or do you plan on sitting in here?"

"What kind of question is that," Conan said. "And let you have all the fun, I don't think so."

"Let's not forget you're in the body of a child," Dick stated. "Who knows how the police may respond with me bringing you along."

"Don't worry, I'm pretty good at staying discreet," Conan said before pushing the passenger door to the side. "Now let's go, we have a schedule to keep."

"Right you are."

The two of them exited the car from there, closing the doors after doing so. They could see the many bystanders on the left side of the street, opposite of where the explosion had erupted. Several officers looked their way as they approached. One of them stepped up to the crime scene tape which blocked off a small portion of the street, raising a hand which signaled for them to stop.

"That will be far enough," The officer stated. "This area is blocked off due to investigation, so I'm going to have to ask you to turn around and walk back the other way."

"That's actually what I'm here for," Dick said. "I was called in by Inspector Megure, there's something he wanted me to check out."

"Wait here."

The officer walked over to where most of the others stood, taking the time to talk with Megure himself. Dick glimpsed down at his side as he waited, looking to find Conan was nowhere to be found.

"I wonder where he ran off to."

The officer from earlier returned moments later, lifting up the tape after coming to a stop.

"Your story checks out," He said with the nod of his head. "You're free to enter Mr. Grayson."

"Thanks." Dick said in acceptance.

He made his way over to where most of the police officers stood in discussion, looking from side to side as he did. He caught sight of what appeared to be a depleted car which laid upside down on the sidewalk..

"I wonder if that's what exploded," Dick thought continuing to scour the area. "Still no sign of Conan, he's got to be around here somewhere."

He finally came to a stop after reaching the small group. Juzo immediately came to his side with his hand landing onto his shoulder.

"I'm glad you were able to make it here on such short notice." Juzo said.

"I just happened to be driving through this way, so I guess it all worked out for the best."

"I'm glad it did, because we need all the help we can get."

"So tell me Inspector, what exactly happened?"

"Right over there," Juzo pointed. "That car exploded just a bit ago."

"Do we have an exact time?" Dick asked.

"No, but we do have the time it was reported."

"And when was that?"

"7:02." Juzo replied.

Dick rested his chin onto his hand, finding his eyes traveling to the ground.

"I'd assume the call came in within ten minutes after the explosion occurred," Dick thought. "That means it must have happened anytime from six fifty two up until seven O' one."

"Are you ok?" Juzo asked at his sudden silence.

"Do we know what kind of car it was?" Dick asked looking over toward the wreckage.

"A Cadillac DTS," Juzo replied. "Unfortunately the driver did not survive the explosion."

"I guess that answers what I was going to ask next," Dick said. "Over the phone you said a note was left behind, what did it say?"

"I didn't get the chance to read it before they took it to the lab for testing," Juzo informed. "As soon as they've completed their analysis we'll be able to read it as well."

"Who else is working this case?" Dick asked out of curiosity.

"I gave detective Mouri a call before I reached you," Juzo said. "So he should be here within the next ten minutes."

"I take it he knows what's going on?"

"I told him the same thing I told you," Juzo said. "In the mean time I think it would be best if you gave the scene a look yourself."

"Wouldn't have it any other way." Dick said in agreement.

"Right this way."

He walked at his side as the two of them made their way over to the car. After stepping up onto the sidewalk they could see him him on the other side of the car analyzing something near where the back wheels would have been.

"Conan, what are you doing here?!" Juzo exclaimed.

"Oh, hi Inspector Megure." Conan said smiling with a wave.

"That must mean Mouri is here as well." Juzo said with the turn of his head in attempt of locating him.

"Actually," Dick said coming to Conan's side. "He's with me."

"With you," Juzo said in surprise. "I wasn't even aware the two of you knew each other."

"Since yesterday." Dick stated.

"Why did you bring him along," Juzo asked. "This isn't a place for a child, though I will say he's had his fair share of being in a situation like this."

He didn't know how to respond to his question, watching as the expression across Juzo's face slowly changed.

"He was going to take me to that new water park opening up today." Conan said jumping in.

"You mean the one east from here?" Juzo asked.

"That's the one." Conan confirmed with the nod of his head.

"Is this true?"

"It sure is," Dick replied. "We were on our way there, that's when I received the call from you."

"Thus making you put your plans on hold," Juzo finished. "I'm sorry I had to interrupt your day."

"It's ok," Conan said. "There's still plenty of day left which means we can still go later."

"Hey Conan," Dick said looking down at him. "Why don't you go wait over by the car?"

"But there's nothing to do over there," Conan protested. "I promise I won't touch anything if you let me stick around."

"You heard what Inspector Megure said, this is no place for kids," Dick reminded. "Now go wait by the car, I won't be long."

He dropped his shoulders with a huff.

"I'll be waiting." Conan said before walking off.

The two of them watched as he made his way past the yellow tape. They turned back to the car after he did to see a couple approaching officers who stopped once reaching the car.

"Now for my next question," Dick said. "Do you happen to know what caused the car to explode?"

"Our lab experts are already looking into that, a thin wire was found a few yards away from where it all took place," Juzo replied. "According to what a bystander witnessed the explosion went off as soon as the driver got into the car."

"That means there's a possibility the door was rigged with an explosive of some kind." Dick thought.

"There's a good chance that the wire found was connected to the car before the explosion, which would label it as evidence," Juzo continued. "So are you ready to give the car an in depth look yourself?"

"That won't be necessary Inspector," Dick replied. "Especially since you've already got your top guys looking into it."

"You do make a good point."

"If it's ok with you I'd like to head down to the station to check out the note left behind."

"That's entirely fine with me, but you'll need someone to go with you if you want access to it."

"That works for me." Dick said.

"I take it you still remember Officer Shiratori?"

"Of course, how could I forget?"

"Good, I'll have him meet you up at the station." Juzo said pulling out his phone.

"Where is he now?" Dick asked.

"Driving down from the other side of town," Juzo replied. "He had his hands full with another case."

"Everyone seems to be busy these days, what a trend it is."

"He should be at the station by the time you arrive."

"Would you like my assistance back here after I check out the message left behind?" Dick asked.

"I've already got detective Mouri coming in, so you should be free work out what the notes message means," Juzo said. "It seems our projection on where this killer would strike next was off."

"Was the person inside the car working for the police department?"

"They're looking into that as we speak."

"One last question," Dick said removing his hands from his pocket. "Where was the note left, obviously not in the car since it was blown into flames."

"Over there," Juzo said pointing to a nearby light pole. "There was an envelope inside of a plastic bag which was addressed to the police department."

"That would explain why you didn't open it right away," Dick said. "Who knows what they could have possibly left within that bag."

"Good luck when you get there."

"Thanks, I'll give you a call as soon as we know what the message reads." Dick said as he turned to walk.

He pushed his way past the crime scene tape, looking over to see Conan who was already sitting in the car with his head rested atop his hands. He opened the door to the driver seat joining him.

"That went quicker than expected." Conan said with the turn of his head.

"Of course," Dick said having a seat while closing the door. "You already examined the car so we're all set to go."

"What makes you think I was finished?" Conan asked.

"You're quick at what you do, but finding out what was left on that note is more important at the moment," Dick replied. "We'll let the police handle this one for now, then we'll touch base later."

"Can't argue with that."

"Before we jump gears, what were you able to gain from your inspection?"

"The breaks had been tampered with, so even if he was able to drive off he wouldn't have been able to stop when needed," Conan replied. "Which of course would have ended with damaging results."

"But why here," Dick said bringing a hand to his chin. "Nothing from the previous note points to this place."

"Then I think you better have another look," Conan said. "Right across the street to be precise, I noticed it the moment we stepped out of the car."

He did as he said, turning to see a fire station located across from where the explosion had occurred.

"What does a fires station have to do with anything?"

"I believe the way our last victim was killed points to this fire station, what else would explain the use of a water hose in the last murder?"

"You do make a good point," Dick said. "It's all symbolic, but it does make sense now that you mention it."

"And now the culprit has tweaked their method of killing once again."

"But what about the number nine," Dick questioned. "The explosion happened well before nine O'clock."

"I already mapped it out while you were talking with Megure."

"Mapped out what?" Dick asked.

"At first I thought it was a thing of distance, but then I realized that Slid Splash isn't quite nine miles from here."

"Care to fill me in, I have no idea where you are going with this."

"If we were to drive at approximately nine miles per hour from here all the way to Slid Splash, we would arrive after nine minutes of driving." Conan finished.

"Are you sure?" Dick asked.

"I used the GPS system in this car to confirm my claim." Conan replied.

"Can't believe we were that close," Dick said. "The only piece we missed was the connection to the fire station."

"We can't beat ourselves over it, time won't allow for it," Conan said. "The best thing we can do right now is move forward."

"Which means heading to the station to find out what was written on that note left on the light pole."

"My thoughts exactly."

"Strap in," Dick said buckling his seat belt. "It's time to begin the next round."

Conan strapped on his belt as well, sitting back in silence as he started up the engine. Both were anxious, yet optimistic on what to expect next. This left them thinking throughout most of the ride there. Dick looked over at him after hitting a fourth red light for the day.

"Hey Conan," Dick said grabbing his attention. "You said the breaks were cut on that car right?"

Conan nodded.

"That's the biggest thing that doesn't make sense about that whole thing," Dick stated. "Why destroys the breaks if you already plan on the target being killed in the explosion?"

Conan didn't say anything in response, keeping to himself as they continued down the roadway. The police station came into view soon after. They pulled into the parking lot, remaining silent after stepping out of the car. The two of them made their way toward the entrance door only to have it swing open just a few inches of them reaching it.

"Good to see you again Mr. Grayson," Ninzaburo greeted. "Inspector Megure said I should be expecting you."

"Has the testing on that envelope been completed?" Dick asked.

"Just about," Ninzaburo replied. "They should have it out for us to read any time now, you're free to come inside if you prefer."

"Either way works for me."

Conan followed at his side as they made their way in. They stopped once reaching the waiting area, having a seat at a table in the center of the room.

"Is there anything I can get either of you?" Ninzaburo asked.

"I'll be ok, what about you Conan?"

"I'll be fine as well."

"I hope the two of you don't mind if I take off for a few minutes," Ninzaburo said. "I have yet to file the final paper work concerning my most recent case, I'll be back as soon as I can with that envelope."

"And we'll be waiting." Dick said.

He left from there, leaving the two of them to sit alone. They found their eyes looking to the TV on the left wall which was clamped down.

"Can't say I've watched very much golf as of late." Dick thought to himself.

They continued to spectate the game from where they sat. The sound of someone entering the room moments later immediately alerted the two of them.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you Mr. Grayson, I've heard much."

"You must be Officer Sato," Dick said standing up from the chair to shake her hand to see an envelope in her grasp. "I've seen your picture."

"My picture?"

"Never mind that," Dick said switching gears. "What's that you've got there?"

"It's something they claim the killer left behind at the scene, which is what you're here to see if I'm not mistaken."

"Was there anything discovered during the search of the bag the envelope was in?" Dick asked.

"Believe it or not but there was about a cup of sugar stashed in along with the envelope." Miwako informed.  

"....Sugar?" Conan thought to himself.

"I wonder what that could mean." Dick said.

"That's a question for all of us." Miwako said.

"What about the note," Conan asked. "What did it say?"

She removed the slip of paper from inside the envelope, handing it to Dick who looked at what was written.

"2wo birdS 0ne STONE, at dawns end," Dick read with the raise of a brow. "There's also another number stamped in the bottom corner."

"Let me guess," Conan said looking up. "An Eight?"

"How did you know that?" Miwako asked in surprise.

"I... it was a lucky guess." Conan laughingly answered.

He gently slid the note back into the envelope before handing it over to her.

"Thanks for sharing that with me," Dick said. "Tell Officer Shiratori I'll see him around, there's somewhere I have to be."

"I'll let him know."

"Thanks, I appreciate that," Dick said. "Come on Conan, we better get going."

With that the two of them made their way out of the room, heading straight for the door once arriving back into the lobby. Both of them remained quiet throughout the first few minutes of the ride, everything on their mind focused on the task at hand. He looked over at him as they drove, slowly piecing everything together in his mind.

"I think I might have an idea why the culprit cut the breaks on the car that exploded." Conan said.

"Go ahead, I'm listening."

"At first it didn't make any sense, but after hearing what was written on that slip of paper everything is finally falling into place," Conan said. "The bad news is the next time we'll be dealing with two bodies."

"What do you mean?" Dick asked.

"If my theory is correct the rigging of the breaks on that car represents a time change in the culprits cycle of killing."

"So basically what you're saying is that you think the killings will be more frequent from here on out?"

"It's there way of letting us know they're going all out and don't plan on stopping," Conan added. "Then there's the note, which is clearly letting us know there will be more than one target come their next assault."

"Wow, Conan's really on top of this," Dick thought with a smile. "It's not often you run into someone as talented as he's showing."

He pulled out his phone after they past by yet another street sign. He tried dialing his number only to have it go to the voice mail. He tried once more to gain the same results.

"Who are you trying to call?" Dick asked noticing his failed attempts.

"It seems Tim always never answers his phone when I have something important to tell him." Conan replied.

"I talked to him when I got up at four this morning, he didn't go to sleep until after five some time." Dick informed. "So I think it's safe to cut him a little slack this time around."

"What was he doing up that late?"

"He was working on something, that's all he said," Dick replied. "If you want to talk to him I could drop you off at his apartment."

"That would be great," Conan said looking down at his watch. "It's almost eight thirty, so there's a chance that he's be awake by now."

"I'll have you there in no time," Dick said. "Make sure you let him know what we've learned on the matter."

"What about you?"

"I'm goanna go back to the latest crime scene to make sure there was nothing we missed." Dick replied.

"Good idea, we still haven't figured out what caused the car to explode."

They came upon another street light after taking a right turn, luckily catching it as it turned green. It was a clear path from there, the traffic still in the process of building up at this time of day. He stopped at the side of the street after reaching the apartment complex, watching Conan make his way out.

"Hey, good work today." Dick complimented.

"Thanks." Conan said in response before turning to walk.

He made his way through the parking lot all the way up to the entrance. Once in he headed straight for the elevator.

"It seems with each passing death the culprit becomes more and more complex with their clues left behind."
He entered the elevator once it reached the first floor, the door closing behind him after doing so. Conan laid his hands into the comfort of his pockets as he made his way to his room. Once there he gave it a couple loud knocks, in the case of him still being asleep. The door slid open a few seconds later.

"I'm glad I didn't wake you up this time."

"Someone already beat you to that." Tim stated.

"Why didn't you answer when I called?" Conan asked.

"I was, I'm actually kind of in the middle of something." Tim replied.

"Who are you talking to out there?" Someone called from inside the room.

"Is that Sonoko," Conan asked. "What is she doing here?"

He simply widened the door which allowed for him to walk in. Tim closed the door after he walked past him.

"I hope you don't mind if Conan joins us." Tim said.

"What's he doing here so soon," Sonoko asked from where she sat. "We're not supposed to go out until after eleven."

"Go out," Conan thought. "What is she talking about?"

"He just came to watch a little TV, right Conan?"

"That's right." Conan said reaching for the remote which rested at the end of the bed.

"And what's wrong with watching TV back at your place?" Sonoko questioned.

"The TV went out," Conan quickly came up with. "We've been experiencing electricity problems since last night."

"Is that so?"

"What about you," Conan asked. "What are you doing here?"

"A little chemistry help," Tim answered. "I knew she'd be coming over some time soon, just not this early."

"Why would I have come later, the earlier we get this out of the way the better," Sonoko said as her phone began to ring. "Hold on, this will only take a moment."

Conan turned on the TV as she stepped away from the desk to take the call. He flipped through a few channels before deciding on one. Her phone conversation didn't last long. After hanging up she walked back over to the desk with the drop of her phone.

"What's wrong?" Tim asked.

"I have to go, there's a family matter I need to attend to." Sonoko said while heading toward the door.

"Are we still on for the day?"

"We'll reschedule for anytime after one." Sonoko replied before walking out.

Conan turned off the TV, looking over at Tim who did the same in return.

"You know a girls in a hurry when she forgets her phone." Tim said picking it up from the table.

"If you hurry you should be able to catch her." Conan said.

"No need to, I'll see her in a bit anyway."

"What do the two of you plan on doing?" Conan asked.

"Ran didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"The three of us were planning on going somewhere this afternoon," Tim informed. "I asked Ran to see if you would like to come along as well."

"Not the ideal time," Conan said. "Plus I still have to stop by Agasa's, I'm down to my last tranquilizer."

"I'll go along with you if you don't mind," Tim said taking a step forward. "On another note, aren't you supposed to be heading up to Slid Splash right about now?"

"The culprit has already made their next move, which happened to be a few miles away from where we originally thought."

"Looks like we were caught by surprise, anything I should know?"

"We'll get to that," Conan said. "But first I'd like to know what you were able to find."

"What makes you think I found something?"

"You were up until five this morning, I'd be surprised if you didn't."

"It took awhile, but after some searching and a little hacking I was able to finally gain access to the main system which the Outworlders have been operating from," Tim informed. "And with it we'll be able to pin point any locations they have been doing business from."

"How were you able to find that out?"

"After Dick figured out where their hideouts were it left us with an opening," Tim said. "They've been shipping in a lot of weaponry from different companies as not to draw suspicion, and with my resources it wasn't hard to see where the payments were coming from."

"I'm assuming the weapons you speak of were shipped to their facilities." Conan said.

Tim nodded.

"All the payments from the system line I hacked showed that all the payments were made through it," Tim continued. "I already have everything set up for how we plan on sneaking into their meeting tomorrow."

"You're sure they won't see me?"

"Positive, and if anything does go wrong officer Takagi will be there with you." Tim informed.

"He is?" Conan asked in surprise.

"I haven't told him, but he'll know by tonight."

"So what's the name of this system the Outworlders are operating from," Conan asked. "Do you think it's the same one you came across when in that trap house?"

"No, this one is different," Tim replied. "It's system name is Echo 2118."

To Be Continued








Converting /tmp/phpbLL3iL to /dev/stdout