Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Damaging Blow ( Chapter 54 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 54
Damaging Blow

The time continued to tick away. Thirty minutes remained until everything was expected to take place. He kept a firm stance from where he stood, the most focused he'd been all night. The sound of him dropping down from behind alerted him of his presence.

"You haven't spoken or moved in the last twenty minutes," Nightwing said coming to his side. "Is everything alright?"

"Couldn't be better."

"If you say so," Nightwing  said facing forward. "I thought you had planned on Conan being here."

"Tried calling, had no luck in reaching him," Red Robin said. "Should have told him before hand that they changed the time of their meeting."

"That would explain."

"I'll keep my ears peeled, there's always a chance he'll call back," Red Robin said. "Regardless of that, how are things looking from the back exit?"

"Little to no activity as expected," Nightwing replied. "But that doesn't mean there won't be."

"Keep a good look out, we can't afford for anything to go wrong."

"Don't have to tell me," Nightwing said. "Radio me if you see anything worth sharing."

"You do the same."

"Of course."

Everything had been silent from the time he had entered, looking down at his watch which read thirty two after four. The sudden sound of something from behind caused him to reach into his jacket. He gripped the handle to his gun, turning to see a woman with a tray in hand approaching.

"What can I get for you today?"

He found himself humored by his overreaction, lowering his hand while looking up to face her.

"Coffee would be nice."

"Is there a certain flavor you would like?"

"Anything will do Ms... Belmot," Wataru replied catching sight of her name tag. "I didn't see anyone else on my way in, are you the only one here?"

"That's right," She confirmed. "That's what happens when you get the opening shift."

"Must be tough coming in this early."

"It's not too bad, besides everything closes up early on weekends," Belmot informed. "I'll be back with your coffee momentarily."

"Take your time, I'm in no rush."

She smiled before turning to walk the other way.

Only twenty minutes remained. He listened to the radio to help pass the time, only looking up when any cars drove past.

"Let's hope this plan of theirs works."

He turned his head at the sound of an incoming vehicle, looking to see a pickup truck along with two smaller cars driving from the rare. All three vehicles casually lost speed as they neared the inn, finding a place to park soon after.

"Looks like our guests have arrived." Juzo radioed.

"Yea, I can see them from here," Nightwing radioed back. "Stay where you are no matter what happens, the last thing we need is any casualties."

"Takagi is armed, he should be ok," Juzo said. "He can take care of himself long enough for the two of you spring in there if anything happens."

"Good to hear we're on the same page," Nightwing said. "Radio me if you see anyone else driving in."

"Will do."

He continued to monitor the time as he waited, one of the few things keeping his eyes from closing. The sound of her returning awoke him from his slight doze.

"Here's the coffee just like you requested," Belmot said placing it down onto the table. "I even added whipped cream at the top."

"Thanks, there's no better way to start the day."

"Glad I could be of service," Belmot said with nod. "Is there anything else I can get you?"

"This will do for now," Wataru replied. "Thanks."

It was only a matter of second before they were joined by several others who took a seat around a table at the first table in the room.

"I'll be back to check on you in a bit."

Wataru nodded.

She made her way toward the other table. He lowered his hat down to held disguise himself, peaking from around the seat to have a look.

"There's six of them in all," Wataru thought to himself. "And they're sitting at the first table just as expected."

He could hear a soft ring coming from his ear, turning back in his seat before pressing down onto the ear piece.

"This is Takagi."

"How are you holding up in there?"

"Doing fine," Wataru replied. "They just took a seat at the front table."

"Remember to adjust the ear piece to hear what they're saying," Red Robin reminded. "Once you do that I'll be able to tap into the signal myself."

"Understood," Wataru replied. "How are things looking from out there?"

"There's no one else parked out by the street but them," Red Robin replied. "But I'll keep you posted."

"Sounds good, I'll be on the look out."

They cut their conversation from there. He twisted the center forward just as instructed, waiting to hear what was going to be said. A minute passed, which then turned into three. He glimpsed down at his watch for yet another time.

"What's the hold up," Wataru thought. "Why aren't they talking?"

The sky began lighting up with each passing minute. He turned off the radio from where he sat, anxious to know what was going on inside.

"Any idea what the situation is inside?" Juzo radioed.

"Not a clue," Nightwing replied. "Red Robin nor Takagi have contacted me on the matter as of yet."

"Do you think everything is ok?"

"Wouldn't worry too much, they'll let us know if something is going on." Nightwing stated.

"Keep me informed."

"That's the plan."

He patiently continued waiting from where he sat, only hearing the sound of static. It had been over four minutes since they had arrived. This left him a little nerve wracked, feeling his heart race up at the sound of someone approaching from behind. His hand fell into the depths of his jacket, resting his hand over the gun for a second time.

"Could it be they were expecting us, that they know about the hidden mic?"

All this ran through his mind as the foot steps neared, tightening his grip around the handle. He slowly turned, watching as one of the men continued past him to the other corner of the room. He breathed out in relief, removing his hand from within his jacket.

"I'm really out of it, I may need more than just a coffee after all is said and done." Wataru thought to himself.

He then directed his attention over to the man who stood across from where he sat, watching as he pulled out a phone.

"I wonder what this is about."

He kept a casual look on his face, doing his best not to look engaged to what he was doing. He kept a straight face, looking out the window while taking a sip from the mug.

Over five minutes had passed since his last attempt at trying to contact him. He looked on from afar, watching as the man who was standing by stepped away from the window. The opportunity had finally risen, radioing him in the passing seconds.

"What was that all about," Red Robin asked. "Did you happen to hear who he was talking with?"

"Don't have a name," Wataru replied. "But now I know why they've been mute since arriving."

"And why's that?"

"They're supposed to be meeting with someone, who just happens to be on their way now."

"Good work, I'll let the others know right away," Red Robin complimented. "Keep it up, you're doing just fine."

With that said, the transmission between the two came to an end. He slid his phone back into his pocket, readying himself for yet another wait.

He let the others know about what had been said, putting them on alert. It wasn't until fifteen minutes later that he caught sight of a white car driving along from the other side of the road. His eyes continued to follow it, watching it as it parked a few yards away from the entrance of the inn.

"Looks like Takagi heard right."

A man along with one woman exited the car, the two of them heading in through the front entrance. He turned back to the car, noticing there was still someone sitting in the driver seat.

"The engines still running," Juzo noticed. "That must mean they don't plan on staying very long."

The wait had finally come to an end, peaking around from where he sat to see two more people had joined the fray, the man being the only one to have a seat. He then looked to the woman who was blanketed with a scarf, shades, and fancy black hat to top it off.

"Now to see what this whole thing is about." Wataru thought.

He twisted the center piece forward, easing himself into the seat. It didn't take long for them to begin. He closed his eyes as he listened on.

"I'm glad to see you all came early, you know how much I hate waiting."

"So what's the verdict, is Mr. out north in agreement?"

"Of course, he was in from the start."

"That's good to hear."

"We're scheduled to meet for final talks in the next few days, with everything in the last stages."

"And where might we be meeting?"

"He has yet to decide on a location, after all this is his vendetta."

"Would you like my attendance?"

"Most certainly, we'll be doing more than just moving the ice boxes from the casings they're set in."

"Ice boxes... I wonder what that is?"

"Once that is complete we'll be able to move everything to the north tower."

"Sounds good, I'll defiantly be there Mr. Yunge."

"So now we have a name, let's see what else they'll reveal." Wataru thought.

The next couple seconds everything fell silent. He became tempted, glimpsing back from where he sat to see the man who had taken a seat stand back to his feet.

"Would you like to have a look at the new merchandise we received from our out of state friend?"

"Of course," Mr. Yunge replied. "I've been waiting all week to have a look at what's been brought in."

The gentleman sitting directly across stood up as well.

"Amaquel, would you like us to come along?"

"That won't be necessary," Amaquel replied. "You five can stay here and have a drink, once you're finished I want you to head back to Millers to check up on the stocking process."

"How long until we should expect your return?"

"No later than an hour," Amaquel said as he turned to walk. "Right after you Mr. Yunge."

He walked past him with the nod of his head. The woman walked at his side, Amaquel being the last of the three to make his way out. It was finally time for him to report, clicking on the center piece of the communication device.

"Did you get all of that?"

"Loud and clear." Red Robin replied.

"So what's the plan from here?"

"I want you to stay put until the rest of their little group leaves, no use in taking any chances." Red Robin answered.

"What about you?" Wataru asked.

"I'm going to follow after them," Red Robin replied. "There's a good chance we'll gain some extra ground."

"Understood," Wataru said. "I'll stay put until they leave."

"Great, Red Robin out."

He looked up just in time to see him land a few feet away from where he stood.

"What's been going on," Nightwing asked. "You haven't given me an update on what's been going on in there."

"Some guy named Amaquel is taking Brutho Yunge to go have a look at something they just got shipped in," Red Robin informed. "I'm going to follow them, I want you to stay here and wait for the others to come out."

"You sure that's a good idea," Nightwing questioned. "There's no telling what you'll find when you get there."

"In most cases I would have you come along, but I want you to follow the other five when they decide to come out," Red Robin said. "Amaquel said he plans to meet them at Millers."

"Never heard of it."

"Nor have I, which is why I want you to follow them there," Red Robin said. "Contact me if you see or find anything of importance."

"Ditto," Nightwing said in response. "Be careful on your way out, I'd hate for something to happen to you with me heading in a different direction."

"No need to worry, I'll be ok."

"I've heard that one several times over, let's hope that's the case." Nightwing said.

The two of them then directed their attention back down to the roadside, catching sight of Brutho hopping back into the passenger seat of the car he had arrived in.

"Looks like that's my cue."

"Try not to be seen." Nightwing teasingly stated.

"That won't be a problem."

He focused his attention back down to the street, watching as the green car drove off with the white one following close behind. He gave him one last look, Nightwing giving him a wave before he took off.

He kept pace with every stride, making sure not to fall behind. They came to a stop after encountering a red light, which happened on several occasions. He reached into his belt, tossing a tracker down which connected to the side of the car.

"They're heading into a tunnel, don't want to lose them."

He followed the signal, resighting the car once it came out from the other end. They took a left at the next intersection, driving into a darker area of the city. He continued to follow along, feeling a burning sensation in his legs.

"Looks like they're finally beginning to slow up, we must be getting close."

He dropped down to yet another building, looking to see the two cars had come to a stop at a familiar location.

"The docks, can't say I'm surprised."

He looked on from afar, watching as they all exited from the cars. Amaquel took charge as he lead them deeper into the docks. He took this time to glide down, hiding behind the cars once landing. He peaked from behind the trunk to see them turning the corner.

"Gotta keep moving, don't want to lose them."

With that in mind he stood back to his feet, quietly making his way forward. There were many crates stacked around which he used to maneuver his way closer to them without being seen. He hid behind a couple of barrels after watching them come to a stop in front of a large wooden box.  

"I wonder what's inside."

"So this is it?"

"Not just in this box, but in those crates as well," Amaquel pointed. "It's all here."

"So what would you like to show me first?" Brutho asked.

"We'll start with the light weights," Amaquel replied. "Then make our way up from there, how's that sound?"

"I wouldn't have it any other way." Brutho replied.

He grabbed a crowbar which happened to be laying on top of the box, taking it with him as he walked over to a nearby crate. He forcefully jabbed it into the side, plowing it open with the use of his strength. Brutho came to his side, looking to see what was inside.

"So what do you think?" Amaquel asked pulling a strange looking gizmo from within the box.

He gave it a long hard look, bringing a hand to his chin as he did.

"What exactly is it?"

"An electronics disrupter, simply put," Amaquel replied. "It give you the ability to diminish any electrical signals from close range as well as far."

"Does this include communication devices?"

"Anything you can think of," Amaquel confirmed. "From computers to phones even."

"These guys are more stacked than I thought."

"Excellent, this could prove most useful," Brutho said taking the device into his hand. "How many of these do we have manufactured?"

"Besides that one, three," Amaquel replied. "But we can easily have more produced."

"What else do you have to show me?"

"Right this way."Amaquel said leading them back to where the box sat.

He shoved the crowbar into the small crack at the top, doing his best to force it open.

"There's something I've been wanting to ask you about," Amaquel said. "I was wondering how your brother has been doing, I haven't heard you mention Lemare in quite some time."

"Why would I," Brutho said. "He wants nothing to do with any of this."

"That doesn't mean the two of you can't still talk."

"That's one road I have no interest on going down." Brutho stated.

The top of the wooden box flew to the ground in the seconds that past, revealing an armored glove. It was obvious it was heavy from the way it looked, coupled in with its outside features. He lifted a brow at the sight of it, more than interested to find out what its capabilities were.

"It may look harmless, but this handy dandy glove has its specialties." Amaquel said sliding it on.

"Intrigue me." Brutho said taking a step back.

Once it was securely strapped on, he clicked down to a button located on the side. Brutho watched as a mini missile appeared on the top of the glove.

"Three inches wide, six inches long," Amaquel stated. "It may not look very dangerous, but these little guys sure pack a punch."

"Why don't you give us a demonstration."

"As you wish." Amaquel said taking aim at a couple barrels.

"You've got to be kidding me."

He fired away with little hesitation, hearing the booming sound it made after being launched. They all watched as the barrels were disintegrated along with several other crates right before their eyes.

"Most impressive." The woman said more than pleased with the results.

"Couldn't agree more." Brutho said with a few claps.

"Is there anything else you would like to see?" Amaquel asked with a smirk forming across his face.

"No, that will do for now," Brutho replied. "I think I've seen enough to keep me satisfied."

"I'm glad you're as excited as I," Amaquel said. "It seems we have our enemies edged out in fire power."

"Indeed we do," Brutho said while looking down at his watch. "The morning is young, and we still have time before sun rise."

"What are you implying?" The woman asked.

"You'll know when we get there," Brutho said. "Come, we'll be there in the next twenty minutes if we hurry."

"What about this mess?" Amaquel asked pointing to the scene the missile had created.

"Leave it," Brutho stated. "We'll have all this cleaned up by to night."

"Your call." Amaquel said.

With that the four of them left the scene.

He patiently waited from where he stood, feeling the winds picking up from the west side. It was only a matter of time before they came out, radioing him as soon as they did.

"Megure it's Nightwing."

"What's going on?"

"I'm sure you have a clear view of those men coming out from the inn," Nightwing began. "Once officer Takagi comes out I want the two of you to follow them."

"What about you?"

"I'll be doing the same from above," Nightwing replied. "Try not to keep a clear path when you drive, we don't want them catching onto you."

"Understood."

"Don't panic if you lose them on the roadway," Nightwing said. "I'll keep you updated on their whereabouts."

"Any idea where they're going?" Juzo asked.

"Some place called Millers."

"Can't say I've heard of it."

"That puts us in the same boat." Nightwing stated.

"What's the plan when we get there?"

"Pin pointing another one of their hideouts is the main focus," Nightwing replied. "We'll decide on what to do once we get there."

"Couldn't think of anything better myself."

It had been a close call, one of many he'd experienced throughout his life. He felt a sharp pain surging down at his left side, looking down to see blood flowing downward.

"Looks like I wasn't able to fully dodge the brunt of that explosion."

He slowly sat up from where he hid, stepping past the crates with a deep breath.

"Now the question becomes, where," Red Robin said. "Where did they get these weapons from, we found no record of any of these shipments."

He then looked toward one of the crates, noticing a small insignia on the side. He moved in closer to give it a better look, instantly recognizing what it was after falling to a knee.

"And just when I thought things couldn't get any more complex," Red Robin thought to himself. "LexCorp."

Blood continued to drip from his wound as he stood back to his feet, sucking up the pain as he reached for his grappler.

"Gotta get back to the base," Red Robin said. "But first I need to get to hire ground."

He slowly made his way around the crates that laid piled onto to each other, arriving back to where he had come from to see both cars had already driven off. He used the grappler to latch himself back to the roof tops. Doubt slowly began crawling in with each passing minute. His breaths became shallow, finding his eyes flashing from time to time. He tried radioing Nightwing who didn't respond.

"My luck can't get any better."

There was no way he was going to make it. Those were the thoughts that ran through his mind as he jumped frome one building to the next. He felt his body tensing up as he continued on, an idea popping into his mind after leaping past yet another building.

"Agasa, I could go see him," Red Robin thought. "His house isn't too far from my position, he should be able to help me out."

He rerouted where he was going, knowing time was of the essence. He took each step at a time, the pain at his side reaching its peak after soaring down into a dark ally. He gazed up at the sky while taking a seconds rest.

"Only have about an hour until sun rise, don't have much time left."

He remained in the shadows, keeping himself hidden from any possibilities of being spotted. It didn't take long for him to arrive in front of the house. He took a few steps back from where he stood, lunging forward with a leaping flip over the gate.

"Should be able to get in through one of the windows like I did last time."

That's exactly what he did. It was dark once inside, closing the window once inside. He slowly made his way, doing his best not to make any noise.

"Now to find his room."

He came to a brief stop, looking down from where he stood to see a light flashing from down stairs.

"Looks like it's coming from the computer, which means he's still up."

With that in mind he quietly made his way down the stairs, doing his best to keep a clear head. It didn't take long for him to reach the bottom, looking over to the computer to see that no one was there. He walked over, slightly stumbling forward. Luckily he was able to catch himself with the use of the desk. At this point his vision began to blur, trying his best to see what was on the screen.

"Is that me?"

He finally got a clear view of what was on the screen, surprised to see a picture of himself along with an article below.

"Why would Agasa care to look me up?"

It was quiet throughout the house, the only sound coming from the running computer. He pushed away from the desk, turning as he did.

"Maybe he's not here, I don't think his car was out front if I can recall," Red Robin said. "But why leave the computer on?"

He took a step forward, groaning from the sharpening pain at his side. It wasn't until then that he heard foot steps from the upper floor, putting him on full alert.

"Back so soon," She spoke from above. "I wasn't expecting you back until the morning."

He had completely forgotten all about her, listening as she made her way down the stairs.

"She can't find out, not now... not like this."

There was only one option, and that was to hide. She dropped down from the last step, immediately heading toward the computer to see no one was there.

"That's strange," Ai thought with her hands falling down at her side. "I could have sworn I heard someone."

It was faint, but just enough for her to hear. She turned toward the basement door, slowly walking over. She came to a stop once reaching it, swinging the door to the side to see no one was inside.

"It must just be one of those mornings."

She softly closed the door, feeling a sudden coolness come over her. She brought her hands to the sides of her arms, shivering as she turned back to the stairs. It didn't take long for her to notice one of the windows from upstairs was wide open.

"I don't recall leaving any windows open."

Ai made her way back up. She noticed a trail of something upon the stairs as she continued on, to dark for her to see what it was. She came to a stop once reaching the window, tightly closing it to block out the cool morning breeze.

"That takes care of that."

She then directed her attention to the ground to see that's where the trail had come to an end. She kneeled down, reaching forward to feel a warm wetness. This was a little discomforting, causing her to stand back to her feet. It wasn't until she held her hand out to the window that she clearly saw what it was.

"Blood... ?"

It had been one of those laid back kind of nights. He didn't awake until after nine later that morning. He pushed up from where he laid, looking around to see no one was in the room but him. He stretched his arms after getting out of bed, making his way over to the drawer. He turned on his phone after getting dressed, finding he had a couple missed calls. A soft knock came from the other side of the door which caused him to look that way.

"One moment."

He walked op to the door, opening it to find Ran standing on the other side.

"Good morning." Conan said stepping out from the room.

"Have you heard from Tim?"

"He tried calling when I was asleep," Conan said. "But I haven't spoken with him since yesterday, why do you ask?"

"Can you try calling him now?"

"Why," Conan asked. "Is something wrong?"
"Sonoko's been trying to reach him all morning about picking up her phone," Ran replied. "But every time she's called he hasn't answered."

"Why doesn't she just walk over to his apartment and knock on the door," Conan suggested. "His phones off half the time anyway, that will assure he wakes up."

"That's an even better idea." Ran said heading for the door.

"Where are you going?" Conan asked.

"We're going to go see him ourselves," Ran replied. "I could use a morning walk, cant you?"

"Sure, just give me a minute." Conan replied.

"I'll be down stairs, don't take too long."

"I won't." Conan assured.

He pulled his phone out after watching her head out the front door. He tried calling him only to be greeted by the answering machine. He tried once more, gaining the same results.

"His phones not off," Conan thought to himself. "So why isn't he answering?"

To Be Continued





Converting /tmp/phpYyYvQv to /dev/stdout