Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Deceptive Destruction ( Chapter 58 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 57
Deceptive Destruction

It was a night that had dragged on. He awoke at the crack of dawn, finding it hard to fall back asleep. After a few extra minutes of laying he decided to sit him, letting his eyes adjust to the dark room. He stood up moments later, walking over to get dressed. He left the room shortly after.

"Who's that," Conan thought. "I don't recognize that number."

He put the phone back into his pocket after checking the missed call, heading straight for the door. He looked forward on his way down the stairs, the message from the last note still weighing high on his mind. The school yard was empty upon his arrival. He made his way past the entrance, heading straight for class. She looked up from her desk at the sound of him entering the room, surprised to see him.

"Conan," Sumiko said seperating a pile of papers. "What are you doing here so early, school doesn't start for over an hour."

"I needed the walk more than anything," Conan replied. "Do you mind if I hang around here until class starts?"

"Make yourself at home," Sumiko replied. "Are you sure there's not another reason why you're here so early?"

He shook his head from side to side in response.

"I'm perfectly fine." Conan assured

With that he  made his way over to his desk to have a seat. After settling in he pulled out his note book along with with a pencil. He wrote down every message the culprit had left behind up until this point, looking at everything as a whole rather than as multiple puzzle pieces.

"Still nothing, why can't I seem to figure this out," Conan thought with the drop of his pencil. "It's almost as if the culprit is leading us up to something... but what?"

He monitored the clock as he continued to think, each scenario leading to the same dead end. It wasn't long after that the rest of the students made their way into class. He kept to himself throughout most of the day. Luckily it was something his friends didn't really take notice of. His mind was lost within his thoughts, feeling someone tug at his side from behind.

"Aren't you going to pack up," Ayumi asked. "The bell rang."

"Of course." Conan said snapping out of his brief daze.

They were two of the last to exit the room. She turned to face him, sensing an uneasiness as they walked the halls side by side.

"Conan, are you ok?"

"I'm fine," Conan replied. "Just tired."

"Did you not get enough sleep last night?"

"It's not that I didn't get enough sleep, it's just.."

He couldn't think of what to say, grabbing the straps to his bag as they continued on. She decided not to question him any further.. The two of them arrived out to the front of the school shortly after, looking over to see the others gathered around Ai who held a sheet of paper in hand.

"I wonder what they're looking at?" Ayumi questioned.

"Your guess is good as mine."

They stopped once reaching the three, wondering exactly what it was they were looking at.

"What took you two so long?" Genta asked.

"It was my fault for the set back," Conan admitted. "Just happened to get caught up in the hall rush."

"What are you guys looking at?" Ayumi asked changing the subject.

"It's the guest list for those that plan on attending Space Inc this Friday." Ai answered.

"Anyone we know?" Conan asked.

"Officer Takagi will be there." Genta informed.

"As will Officer Sato." Mitsuhiko added.

"May I have a look at the list myself?" Conan asked.

"As you wish." Ai said handing it to him.

He took the time to read over the list himself, not recognizing any of the names as he scoured down. Then he saw it, written in fine print as he neared the bottom of the list of names.

"Sugo Katina," Conan thought. "That's the woman Tim's been keeping tabs on, but I thought she was in Osaka."

He then handed the paper back to Ai who rolled it up before sticking it into her back pocket.

"So," Ai said looking directly to him. "Have you decided on if you're going to come with us?"

"I'll be there," Conan answered. "Besides, I don't have anything better to do tomorrow evening."

"Great," Mitsuhiko said. "Now we'll all be there together."

"It's nice out today," Genta said. "Anyone up for a little ball up at the park?"

"I'm in." Ayumi said.

"You can count me in as well," Mitsuhiko accepted. "What about you Conan?"

"I'll have to pass," Conan replied. "I didn't eat anything this morning and could use a little something in my system."

"Suit yourself."

He walked off from there, giving his friends a wave before taking off around the corner of the upper street.

"Now that I think about it, I didn't even eat dinner before going to bed," Conan thought. "That might help explain why I was so off in class today."

He reached for his phone, dialing his number as he continued to walk. He placed the phone up to his ear, stopping as he listened to it ring.

"How was school?"

"I was just about to ask you the same thing about the meeting."

"Went up in flames," Tim informed. "Along with all the Outworlders known bases."

"Say what," Conan said in shock. "What do you mean everything went up in flames?!"

"I think it would be better if we talked in person," Tim said. "I'm at the base, meet me here as soon as you can."

"Right away."

He hung up, sliding the phone back into his pocket before walking once more.

"What in the world happened?"

He gradually picked up speed as he continued on, pushing past multiple tree limbs after reaching the forest. He arrived minutes later to find him standing over the desk working on a computer which was wired to his own.

"Do I even want to know what you're doing?" Conan asked.

"Just some good old hacking," Tim informed. "It's a long story."

"And I've got plenty of time."

He pulled up the other chair, sitting back in relaxation.

"Alright, so tell me what happened."

"For starters, Brutho is dead," Tim began. "He was found at the site where their meeting was supposed to be held."

"What?"

"And if that wasn't enough," Tim remarked. "There was a piece of paper found at the scene with the number seven written on it."

"This just keeps getting more twisted by the day," Conan said. "Did the body suffer any cuts like our other victims?"

"Surprisingly not."

"You think we're dealing with the same guy?"

"Don't know for sure," Tim replied. "This was somewhat of a curveball, Brutho is nothing like the others."

"There has to be a connection, finding out what will be the challenge."

"That's what I was thinking."

"So what's with the extra computer," Conan asked. "What are you trying to hack?"

"I have to bypass these security walls that have been set up," Tim replied. "And let me tell you, it hasn't been easy."

"Why do you need to hack it, is there something of importance you need to see?"

"This computer was found at the scene," Tim answered. "Luckily Dick was able to grab it before the explosion."

"An explosion?"

He nodded in confirmation.

"Heiji unintentionally set off motion censors upon entering the room," Tim informed. "Which of course caused the whole place to go up in flames, along with all of the Outworlders hideouts."

"Wait a minute," Conan said sitting up in the chair. "Could you elaborate on that last part?"

"Before the warehouse exploded a signal was sent in response to the censors being tripped off," Tim said. "Which then triggered several other explosives to go off that surrounded their many bases."

"If that's true, then why haven't I heard about it," Conan asked. "Someone would have heard the explosions, which then would have had it on the center page of the morning paper."

"That's because they were keeping things under wraps," Tim said. "The police department released its first official statement at around noon, you were in school at the time."

"Was anyone hurt?"

"Over eighty three found dead, and counting," Tim replied. "All of which were in the facilities at the time."

"Let's hope the body count doesn't rise too much more, if at all," Conan said. "So are we certain that all those who were killed were part of the Outworlders organization?"

"Can never be too sure, but it's looking that way."

"But how," Conan said bringing a hand to his chin. "What caused the other facilities to explode?"

"I'm thinking it was the same censors which were set off at the warehouse."

"But wouldn't you need some kind of signal to set up a chain reaction like that," Conan questioned. "Let's not forget all their bases were miles apart."

"That's where I think this computer came into play," Tim said. "Dick said it was connected to an outlet, so I'm thinking once the censors were tripped a signal was sent through the computer to the other bombed sites."

"Sounds like a possibility," Conan commented. "You might actually be onto something."

"Let's hope so."

He dropped down from the chair, walking over to where he stood.

"Before I forget, I have an update on Katina Sugo," Conan informed. "The woman you've had a watchful eye on for the past month or so."

"Is that so?"

"She's going to be attending the opening of Space Inc."

"Space Inc," Tim questioned. "Never heard of it."

"Don't know much about it myself to tell you the truth," Conan admitted. "It's something Agasa invited us to come check out."

"And how do you know Katina will be there?"

"Her name was on the guest list," Conan replied. "Which means she will be coming to Tokyo within the next twenty four hours."

"Do you plan on attending this little opening?"

"Of course." Conan replied.

"Good, that means you can keep an eye on her for me."

"But I don't even know what she looks like." Conan stated.

"Not to worry, I'll give you a visual before the time comes," Tim said. "So what time tomorrow is this thing supposed to start?"

"Don't know," Conan replied. "Only that it's after school gets out some time."

"There's a lot of time between now and then, so it's something we don't need to be too concerned about at the moment."

"Do you think there's a chance that Deadshot guy  will show up?"

"I guess we'll find out."

He directed his full attention back to the task at hand, which meant getting the computer back into a working state. Conan began to pace from side to side, feeling a sudden burn come to his stomach. He ignored it at first, continuing to walk in place. It got worse in the passing minute, prompting him to stop.

"So hungry," Conan thought. "Should have eaten before I left for school."

He then looked up at Tim who was hard at work, tugging at his leg to get his attention.

"What's wrong?"

"Sorry to bug you," Conan apologized. "But do you have anything in here to eat?"

"Sure," Tim pointed. "That leather cloth is available."

"I'm being serious," Conan said. "I haven't eaten all day."

"Relax, I was only kidding," Tim said stepping away from the computer. "Come on, I'll finish this when we get back."

"Where are we going?"

"Didn't you say you were hungry?"

"Just forget it," Conan said. "Finding out what's on that computer is more important."

"Nonsense," Tim said turning for the door. "I've been at this all day, I could use the break."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

"Right behind you."

The two made their way back to the surface, listening to the sound of the many creatures throughout the forest as they walked. It didn't take long for them to find themselves at the side of the roadway.

"Is there somewhere in particular you wanted to go?"

He took some time to think about, looking up as the street light turned red. The two made their way across, both coming to a stop after reaching the other side.

"Well, what's it going to be?"

"I don't know," Conan said. "I was hoping we could go somewhere new."

"And where might that be," Tim asked. "I don't exactly know what would be new for you."

"Follow me," Conan said taking charge. "There's this little place that opened up by the detective agency not too long ago."

He took to the front as they continued on, leading him down one street to the next. After about a twenty minute walk they arrived in front of the small restaurant he had spoken of.

"What's the name of this place?"

"It's called The Pink Sea." Conan replied.

"Interesting choice of a name for a restaurant don't you think?"

"Depends on what they're serving," Conan said walking forward.

"Good point."

They made their way in, having a seat at a table in the middle of the room. It didn't take long for a waiter to stop by, laying two menus to the center of the table with a welcoming smile.

"How may help the two of you today?"

"We're still in the process of figuring that out."

"Very well, I'll come back in a few minutes," The waiter said. "That should give you both enough time to decide what you want."

He went up and down the menu more than once, finding it hard to decide on something. He then looked across the table toward Tim who was looking out the window to the left.

"You ok over there," Conan questioned. "Is something on your mind you want to talk about?"

"I'm fine," Tim said looking to him in return. "Just had one of those moments."

"What do you plan on getting?" Conan asked focusing his sights back to the menu.

"I think I'll have to pass," Tim replied. "I'm not all that hungry to tell you the truth."

"Well at least have a drink," Conan said continuing his search of the menu. "That wouldn't make sense for you to have walked all the way here only to get nothing."

He arrived back to their table shortly after, taking their order before heading off for a second time.

"Water," Conan questioned. "Out of all things, that's all you're going to have?"

"I don't really feel for much right now."

"That's an understatement," Conan stated. "On another note, where's Dick?"

"What do you mean?"

"Did he come back from Osaka with you?"

"He's... running a search." Tim replied.

"A search huh," Conan said dropping his hands atop the table. "What kind of search?"

"It's only a hunch at this point, but I'll let you know more as soon as I do."

"A Hunch," Conan thought. "I wonder what that's supposed to mean?"

The waiter arrived back to the table minutes later, placing the ordered dish upon the table along with the cup water.

"Is there anything else I can get either of you?"

"Thanks, but this will do for now." Tim said.

"Very well."

He left for a third time. His mind was elsewhere as he ate, not picking up a scent of what went into his mouth. He could have been nibbling on a gruff piece of wood and wouldn't have known the difference. He finally finished after several minutes had passed, looking over to see him staring out the window like he had previously been doing.

"Aren't you going to drink the glass of water?"

"Not thirsty," Tim replied. "You're free to have it if you'd like."

"Not hungry or thirty," Conan questioned. "Are you sure nothing is wrong?"

"Nothing you don't already know," Tim responded. "I'm on edge just as much as you are on this whole matter, it seems to be one thing after another."

"Look on the bright side," Conan said. "We've made some much needed strides in this past week, and who knows what that computer may reveal for us."

"That's what I'm afraid of."

"Ok, now you've just lost me," Conan said. "What is there to be afraid of?"

"It seems every time we've opened a new door, two more are revealed in its place," Tim stated. "What if the computer was left behind to throw us off?"

"What made you come to that assumption?"

"Whoever left it was hoping it would be found," Tim said. "Let's not forget how many times we've been set up these past couple weeks."

"I see," Conan said finally on the same page. "You think this could be another trap of some kind."

"Which is why we need to keep everything at arms length."

"Couldn't agree more," Conan said. "The last thing we want to do is put ourselves or anyone else in danger for that matter."

"You ready to go?"

"About as ready as I'm ever going to be."

The two of them left shortly after. They didn't get very far, coming to a stop at the street light a few yards away from where they had come.

"I guess this is it."

"Anything planned for the rest of the day?" Tim asked.

"Not really, I just plan on taking it easy," Conan replied. "Let's not forget you still need to send me a picture of Sugo."

"That's right," Tim remembered. "I'll have that to you before tomorrow evening."

"Works for me," Conan said turning to walk. "Good luck with that computer."

"Where are you going?"

He stopped, looking back to face him for a last time.

"Home," Conan replied. "Where else would I be going?"

With that he left. He walked with his shoulders slouched downward for most of the walk there, occasionally glimpsing up at the sound of someone walking past. He finally reached his destination after ten minutes had passed. Just as he was to head up the stairwell something caught his attention, someone standing at the end of the opposite side of the street.  

"Is that who I think it is?"

He took a few steps forward to get a closer look, confirming what he thought.

"That's Kogoro alright," Conan said. "But what's with the hat and shades?"

He continued to look on, noticing him check the time on his watch a couple times over.

"Is he waiting for someone?"

He didn't have to wait much longer to find out, watching as a small car pulled up along side the street.

"Now we're getting somewhere."

The door on the driver side opened moments later. A man suited in a scruffy black jacket, hat, and a scarf stepped out from within the vehicle.

"He's wearing a pair of shades too," Conan noted. "What exactly is going on here?"

He watched as the two engaged in conversation, noticing the long haired man occasionally looking over at the sound of anything passing from behind. Things were becoming more confusing by the second.

"Is he a client," Conan thought. "But if he was, wouldn't they be meeting in the office?"

Another minute passed as he continued to look on. The long haired man smiled as the two exchanged a few last words, shaking his hand before heading back into the car. Conan quickly made his way up at the sight of Kogoro heading his way.

"Who was that man, and what were they talking about," Conan thought coming to a stop after reaching the door. "I could ask him, but I doubt he'd tell me."

He pushed forward, softly closing the door before sliding off his shoes.

"Now the question becomes, how to find out."

Hours passed from the time he had started. Things were becoming more frustrating by the minute. He took a few moments away from the computer, giving it some thought on how to move forward. It didn't take long for an idea to pop into his mind.

"It's risky, but at this point I'm running out of options."

He walked back over to the sitting computer, rewiring the position of the power lines to where he was working from his own computer.

"Now lets see what I can do working it from this end."

Not even a minute into the process he discovered over a dozen viruses on the other computer, quickly disposing of them before continuing the hacking process.

"Whoever set this defensive mechanism up really knew what they were doing," Tim commented. "I'll give them props in that regard."

Several other bugs came into view of the radar, filtering each of them out on sight. He was finally making some much needed headway. He stood up from the chair after all the jitter had fallen from the screen, revealing a clear visual with a user name sitting in the center of the screen.

"Took long enough," Tim said in relief. "Now to find out who set this all up."

He reached for the mouse to gain full access, his eyes widening at what he saw after highlighting the user name.

".... White Tiger?"

To Be Continued







Converting /tmp/phpeX1HX1 to /dev/stdout