Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ City Hall ( Chapter 65 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 65
City Hall

He shut down the power to the laptop computer, closing the top after doing so. He then made his way around the desk before heading toward the door.

"Where are you going?" Damian asked.

"To spread the word that I'll be attending tonight's annual meeting at the City Hall." Bruce replied.

"Is that where she's going to be?" Conan asked.

"Based on the audio from the camera I set up, that seems to be the case," Bruce confirmed. "We also were able pick up who she plans to meet, though we don't have their name at this time."

"I guess that doesn't really matter," Conan said. "As long as we have her, we'll have them."

"Exactly."

"If it's not too much to ask, do you think it would be ok if I came along?"

"I'd rather you stay here, there's no telling what we're in for," Bruce said. "Especially if things happen to go south."

"Come on," Conan stated after coming to his side. "I promise I won't get in the way, I'll contribute more than anything."

"I said no," Bruce repeated while turning for the door. "This is something that won't require you, no need to take any unnecessary risks."

"So much for that." Conan muttered.

Bruce headed out of the room from there. He felt a hand touch down to his left shoulder in the passing moments, turning to see the grin across his face.

"That's strike one," Damian remarked. "Rarely do you get a second warning, I wouldn't try pushing it if I were you."

He removed his hand from his shoulder, dropping the smile from his face as he too left the room.

"This kid is too much."

He walked out soon after, heading up the stairs to his room. Once there he took a seat at the end of the bed, bringing his bag to his side.

"No better time than now to fill up the stunners," Conan said zipping the top pocket open. "Don't want to find myself in any situations similar to yesterday."

He laid the bag onto the ground once finished, connecting his phone to the charger before dropping down from the bed.

"Now, what to do for the rest of the day."

He paced throughout the room for the next few minutes, occasionally hearing the sound of the birds flapping past the window side. The gate sliding open from outside could be heard not long after.

"I wonder who that is," Conan said. "Unless of course someone is leaving."

He exited the room moments later, casually making his way down the hall. He arrived to the top of the stairs just in time to see him enter through the front door.

"Just the guy I was hoping to see," Tim said closing the door before stepping forward. "Where's everyone else?"

"We were all just in the study not too long ago," Conan replied while heading down the stairs. "So they couldn't have gone far, so what brings you here?"

"It's actually Bruce who called to see me," Tim replied. "Apparently there's something he needs my help with in regards with tonight."

"No doubt it has to do with that woman from the surveillance footage."

"Seems you know more about what's going on," Tim said. "So who's this woman you just mentioned?"

"He says she's involved with some weapons transport," Conan replied. "It just so happens to be that she's the same woman who I met at your canceled speech event yesterday."

"What a small world it is," Tim remarked. "And you're sure about this?"

"I saw the images for myself," Conan stated. "There's no mistaking, it's defiantly her."

"That raises her as our main person of interest in the death of that man."

"What about the number sequence we came across upon the railing," Conan asked. "Were you able to trace the code back to the rifle?"

"Afraid not, it's just as I thought," Tim said. "The numbers we came across were only part of the serial number."

"Can't say I'm surprised."

"Wouldn't worry about it too much, from what we know I was able to narrow it down to eleven rifles that were purchased here in Gotham in the past two months," Tim informed. "There's also the chance it was brought in from somewhere else, I plan on looking into that possibility as soon I'm finished here."

"What about the cause of death, has it been revealed yet?"

"A needle injection to the back of his neck," Tim informed. "Some kind of  Opioid drug was used."

"That almost wipes our sniper friend clean from the list of suspects."

"True, but I'd still like to know what he was doing there none the less."

"That leaves us with the hooded woman," Conan said. "It's looking more and more likely she was the one responsible, of course we can't be one hundred percent sure until we gather some evidence."

"Very true."

"You say he was killed by an Opioid drug," Conan stated. "If that's the case, then how long did it take for it to drift throughout his body before shutting down his system?"

"They don't have an exact time line as of yet, I'll let you know as soon as they do."

"Thanks, that's one of the most important details we need to find out," Conan said. "There was something else, when I looked at him."

"What do you mean?"

"His eye," Conan replied. "From the time I came upon the body up until the time I left, the tint in his right eye seemed to be drastically darkening."

"Anything else?"

"Besides some swelling to the upper lid, that's about it."

"Not exactly the side affects you would expect from Opioid poisoning." Tim thought to himself.

The two of them turned at the sound of the kitchen door sliding open, watching as he headed their way.

"Well look who it is," Damian said as he approached. "Heard about last night, you feeling better now?"

"Good to see you too."

They moved aside once he reached the stairs, allowing for him to make his way up. He waited until he was no longer in sight before turning back to face him.

"What happened last night?"

"Let's just say it was a rough one," Tim replied. "But enough about that, where's Bruce?"

"Last time I saw him he was in his study, which wasn't too long ago," Conan answered. "He left to go prepare for tonight's event at the city hall."

"Are you going as well?"

"He said it'd be better if I stayed here."

"I see, in any case I'll keep you posted with this whole rifle deal."

"What about you," Conan asked. "Are you going to the city hall as well?"

"That's the plan," Tim replied. "I've been awarded the look out duties, if you know I mean."  

"Best of luck."

"Thanks, but what do you plan to do while you're here?"

"No need to worry about me," Conan assured. "The book room has more than enough to keep me occupied."

"Glad you've found a hanging spot," Tim said before turning for the kitchen. "I'll try and catch you before I leave, and if I don't I'll see you tomorrow some time."

"Either way works, just be sure you let me know what happens tonight," Conan said. "I'm interested to find out who this woman is."

"I think we all are."

With that he walked toward the kitchen, pushing the door aside after reaching it. Conan on the other hand turned for the stairs, resting his hands into his pocket as he made his way back up.

"So I'm sidelined for a night, how bad could it be?"

He took a seat upon the bed after reaching the room. His hands fell behind his head as he laid back, keeping his sights set to the ceiling. It was only a matter of minutes before his eyes began to flicker, feeling an easing calmness soar through his body.

"Why do I feel so drained all of a sudden," Conan thought to himself. "Hopefully I'm not coming down with something, the last thing I'd want is to become sick."

He laid there for a measurable time to come before finally wafting off into a light sleep. It wasn't until later that evening that he was finally awakened, feeling his body slightly shaked. He opened his eyes to see him standing over him, sitting up as he wiped some sweat from the side of his forehead.

"Are you feeling alright," Alfred asked. "I tried knocking, but you didn't respond."

"How long was I out?" Conan asked as he looked toward the window to see the sun was nearly out of view.

"You've been asleep for several hours," Alfred replied. "I find it a little unusual since you slept through all of yesterday night, but maybe it's the fact you're body hasn't fully adjusted to the time change."

He looked down at his watch to check the time.

"No kidding," Conan thought before looking back at him. "It just passed five O'clock a couple minutes ago."

"Will you be ok if I leave the house for a bit?"

"Of course, there's nothing to worry about," Conan replied. "Where are you going?"

"I have the luxury of dropping Master Wayne off at the city hall event."

"What time does he have to be there?"

"The brochure read six thirty, but he always trys arrive before any scheduled time," Alfred answered as he made his way toward the door. "I should be gone no longer than an hour."

Conan grabbed his phone before jumping down from the bed, following Alfred out of the room before the door could fully slide shut. They made their way to the stairs a short time later, looking down to the bottom see Bruce adjusting the tie around his neck.

"I see you've finally awoken," Bruce said finishing up the last loop. "Are you feeling ok?"

"I asked him the same thing." Alfred said as they headed down.

"No need for concern," Conan assured. "I'm feeling just fine."

"Good," Bruce said as he attended to his sleeves. "If anything goes wrong, just give me a call."

"But I don't know your number."

"It's written on a piece of paper," Bruce informed. "I laid it on top of the dresser in your room while you were asleep."

"I'll keep that in mind."

"Now that we've got that cleared, I think it's time we headed out," Bruce said turning to Alfred. "It's about a forty minute drive from here, we'll have plenty of time to spare if we go now."

"The car should be warmed up by now, it's been sitting out there for the past two minutes."

"What about Tim," Conan asked. "He said he was going as well."

"We plan to pick him up elsewhere, and knowing him he's probably ready by now." Bruce said before turning for the door.

"Are you hungry?" Alfred asked.

"I guess I could use a little something to eat."

"Do you think you can hold off for awhile," Alfred asked. "I plan to whip up a little something when I get back."

"Sounds like a done deal to me."

"Then it's settled," Alfred said before heading for the door as well. "Remember, if you experience any problems be sure to call."

"Will do Alfred."

He watched him walk out from there, leaving him standing alone at the center of the room. He remained there for the next few moments, listening to the sound of the car take off seconds later.

"Now, what to do in the mean time," Conan said looking around the room. "I could catch the nightly news, there's a chance they'll have more information on what exactly killed that man yesterday."

Nothing could be heard throughout the house as he walked from where he stood, the only sound coming from the wind brushing past the upper window. Before heading for the TV room he decided to walk into the book room. Once in he switched on the light, glimpsing over to the desk to find the book he had been flipping through earlier still in place.

"There it is," Conan said walking over to grab it. "This should keep me occupied, especially since there's not much I can do at this point."

He shut off the light on his way out, making his way clear across the dark house to the other side. He came to a stop once reaching the dinning room, closing the door after entering. It didn't take long to walk past the table, heading to the right where the TV room was located. He had a seat to the couch after reaching it, clicking the power button on the remote as he watched the TV flash on.

"What do you know, it's already on the channel seven news," Conan said setting the remote aside. "Now to see what's gone on throughout the day."

He sat back, removing the glasses from his eyes before laying it next to the remote. He sat there for a time to come, half listening to what was said as he flipped through the book. It traveled through the walls, the sound of something crashing to the ground.

"What was that?"

Conan set the volume to mute, listening in hopes of hearing the sound for a second time. He didn't have to wait long, hearing it just as clear as it had been the first time around.

"What is that noise," Conan thought. "Is there someone in here besides me?"

He dropped down to the ground from there, shutting off the TV before hearing the sound for a third time.

"Are they back already," Conan said making his way toward the door. "Only one way to find out."

Traffic became more and more backed up as they neared, taking another right after reaching the next intersection. He checked the time on his watch as they drove on, lowering his hand after doing so.

"No need to rush," Bruce said easing up in his seat. "We still have another twenty minutes before six thirty."

"Are you sure you want to go inside," Tim asked. "I thought you'd want to be the one looking for any outside activity."

"Many are already expecting my attendance tonight, that's why we're doing it this way," Bruce said. "Did you set up those surveillance cameras like we discussed?"

"Through the main hall, as well as all five exits," Tim confirmed. "I already checked for a working connection, everything's a go."

"Good."

"What about Dick," Tim asked. "Isn't he supposed to help monitor inside as well?"

"That's the plan," Bruce replied. "I spoke with him over an hour ago, he said he might be a little late."

"Any idea why?"

"Didn't ask, but we should be able to manage without him for the time being."

They continued down the roadside, traffic continuing to clutter as they came upon a small crash sight in the middle of the street.

"Just what we need," Bruce said reaching for the door. "We'll walk the rest of the way from here, at most it should take us ten minutes to get there."

"Are you sure," Alfred questioned while turning away from the wheel to face him. "Don't you think they'll find it rather strange if you arrive on foot?"

"I'm already contemplating on what my story will be." Bruce smilingly said as he exited.

Tim grabbed the bag that sat next to him before following him, locking the door before closing it. The two of them watched as he drove off, heading to the left side of the street as soon as he did.

"Now that we're almost there, what side did you want me to operate from?"

"The south west end," Bruce replied. "There's a window which will allow you to see into the foyer where most of the guests will be."

"Gotcha."

"There's an old electronics building on that side, so it should make for a good observing spot," Bruce informed. "By the way, what's in the bag?"

"Everything I'll need, including my suit," Tim replied. "Once I'm all set I'll try contacting you through the codec earpiece to test our connectivity."

"I'll be waiting."  

They continued on from there, looking forward as the city hall slowly came into view.

It got clearer as he made his way down the stairs, the sound of something quietly slinging from one side to the other. It was dark, giving some thought on whether to use his wrist watch's light to help guide his way. He made it to the bottom soon after, peaking around the corner into the dark room to see him standing near the far wall.

"That's Damian," Conan thought. "But what's he doing here, I thought for sure he left for the city hall as well."

He kept his position for awhile longer, simply watching him. It didn't take long for him to notice, catching sight of a shining object at his side. But what was it? He didn't know what to do next, freezing as he watched him look his way.

"What do you want Kudo?"

"How'd you know I was here?" Conan asked stepping out from where he hid.

He didn't receive response.

"What are you doing down here anyway, and in the dark for that matter?" Conan asked as felt around for a switch.

It didn't take long for him to find one, turning on the light in the next second to look on in surprise. There were several weapons throughout the room, stacked around in an orderly matter. He then took notice of the few suits of armor, admiring the condition they were in.

"What is this place?"

"And here I thought you were some kind of detective," Damian said flipping the sword in his right hand to his left. "This is the armory."

"You seem to have a thing for swords," Conan said. "Didn't your mother ever teach you about the dangers of sharp objects?"

"Quite the opposite."

"Some how I doubt that," Conan said. "Where is your mother anyway, do you ever see her around?"

"Do you always ask so many questions?"  

"Just trying to keep conversation."

"Feels more like you're trying to interrogate me."

"That wasn't my intent," Conan said looking around the room once again. "What are you doing down here anyway?"

"I was actually just finishing up." Damian said before walking over to the right side.

He placed the sword back into its case which was clamped to the wall. He then headed back for the stairs, walking past Conan who turned as he did.

"Where are you going?"

"-TT-."

He watched as he made his way up the long fleet of stairs, not sure what to make of his gesture.

"Was that code for something," Conan thought. "Because I have no idea what that was supposed to mean."

After crossing another street and walking down a few blocks, he finally arrived to find a relatively small line leading to the front entrance.

"Made it just in time, no telling how many people will show up tonight."

He scoured the area as he waited in line, looking for anyone who resembled the woman seen in the video.

"No sign of her yet, there's also the chance she's already made her way in."

It wasn't much longer that he found himself at the front of the line, pulling out his invitation slip to show to the security guard.

"Head right down that hall, and take a left once you reach the end," The guard informed. "I hope you enjoy your time Mr. Wayne."

"Thanks, I'm sure I will."

He slid the piece of paper back into his jacket after walking past the door. The walls were filled with many decorative portraits on both sides, grabbing his attention as he made his way down the long hall. He took a left once reaching the end as instructed, following the sound of the many voices coming from behind a door.

"Very stylish." Bruce said taking notice of the unique door knob before heading in.

There were many standing around throughout the large room as expected, keeping his focus as he slowly advanced forward.

"Now to see if I can locate our guest of the hour."

He walked to a secluded area in the room over to the right side, leaning up against the wall as he set his sights to those walking in through the door he had come. This lasted for the next minute or so. It wasn't until the sound of someone coming to a stop at his side that he looked away from the door, turning to find a young woman standing before him.

"You're Bruce Wayne, aren't you?"

"That is correct," Bruce confirmed. "How may I help you?"

"My father wishes to meet with you, and since you're here now there's something I'd like to show you." She said pulling her purse up to her side.

"Your father?"

"Sorry about that, where are my manners," She said looking back up to face him. "I'm Bernadea Fournier, daughter of Lonard Fournier."

"I've heard that name before."

"And you should have, he's been one of the major contributors with the recent construction that's been going on around the city."

"So what is it your father wishes to speak to me about?"

Their conversation was cut short by the sound of her name being called from behind.

"Friends of yours?" Bruce asked taking notice of a group of people waving over at her.

"Could you excuse me, this will only take a moment."

"Take your time." Bruce said as she resulted to walking toward them.

He then turned his attention back to the entryway. There was still no sign of her, taking the time to scour the room once again. After a brief sweep of the room he took notice of someone, looking to the wall opposite of where he stood to see a man in a cap with his sights locked to the ground. He continued to watch him for the minutes that passed, coming to find he had no interest in interacting with those that surrounded him.

"This may call for more than suspicion," Bruce thought keeping his eyes fixated to him. "But who is he, and what is he doing here?"

To Be Continued



  




Converting /tmp/phpcsOWVZ to /dev/stdout