Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Deceptive Trick ( Chapter 66 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 66
Deceptive Trick

He had followed him back up the stairs, all the way to the last floor of the house before he finally came to a stop. This was one of the cooler rooms he had been in.

"Why did you come up here?" Conan asked.

"You didn't have to follow me you know."

With that he headed toward the far corner of the room where a small window could be seen. Once there he nudged it upward to force it open.

"You obviously have nothing better to do," Damian said glimpsing back at him. "You're free to come along if you so choose to."

He hopped out of the window before disappearing in the seconds that past. After a moments hesitation he made his way toward the window as well, slowly dropping down to the roof below.

"Now where did he go?"

He didn't see him at first glance, carefully making his way further up the side of the roof in attempt not to slip. After pulling himself to the higher level of the roof he looked to his right to see him standing a couple feet away.

"What took you so long?" Damian asked.

"Roof climbing has never been one of my things," Conan replied after regaining his balance. "Though apparently that's not the case for you."

"It comes with the territory."

"Territory?"

"Don't tell me you're going to go on another one of your questioning frenzies."

"You really don't like talking with others do you, or is it just because you don't know me very well?"

Not surprisingly he received nothing in response. He looked toward the sky, gazing into the far distance. It was a captivating view,being able to see down into the city from where they stood.

Ten minutes from the time he had begun watching him approached, keeping his position as he continued to wait. He turned at the sudden sound of the door swinging open once more to see three other guests joined the room along with everyone else.

"Still no sign of her."  

An alarming ring came to his ear in the passing moments, resting back to the wall as he pressed down to the codec piece.

"Bruce, can you hear me?"

"Loud and clear."

"How are things inside," Tim asked. "Has she shown?"

"Negative," Bruce replied. "Our red haired friend has yet to arrive."

"Can't be too much longer, six thirty is only eighteen minutes away."

"She might not be here, but I may know who she plans to meet with."

"Are they close?"

"He's across the way, opposite from where I'm standing," Bruce informed. "I've been watching him for several minutes now, I'd say he's waiting for someone."

"Don't have a visual from that side, so I'll leave that up to you."

"I'll keep you posted."

Their transmission came to an end from there. The room gradually continued to fill up with each passing minute. He looked around as six thirty quickly closed in, only nine minutes remaining until then.

"I wonder where Ms. Fournier ran off to," Bruce said continuing his search of the room. "I was expecting she'd be back by now."

The lights in the room slightly dimmed a short time later. He didn't know what to think at first, watching as a man walked in through the door while pulling along a wheeled table. He couldn't see what was on the table, being the fact the contents were covered up with a blanket.

"I wonder what's going on here?"

The table was taken all the way to the right side of the room. He stood in front of the table for the next minute or so after stopping in his tracks, keeping a watchful eye over it.

"He looks like a security guard of some kind, I wonder what's behind those sheets," Bruce said. "But whatever it is, it must have some importance."

Another man dressed in similar attire joined him shortly after, standing at the other end of the table. He then turned back to the opposite wall, noticing the man with the cap leveled over his eyes had slightly reposited his stance from where he stood. In the process of watching him he searched the room for the woman who he was expecting would arrive anytime now.

"She's running late, too close to the borderline if you ask me," Bruce said leaning back to the wall once again. "Either there's been a change in plan, or she's already here."

He gave those throughout the room a harder look, checking for anything out of the ordinary.

"Better keep my eyes peeled."

It was now a change in strategy. He pushed away from the wall, heading into the heart of the crowd where most everyone else was. He gave anyone he came into contact with an in depth look, checking for any contradicting features around the body as well as any potential latex masks. About halfway into the process a ring from the codec piece could be heard, putting his task on hold for the time being.

"How are things coming along in there?"

"She hasn't shown yet, to my knowledge that is," Bruce stated. "But there's also a chance she's in disguise, I'm looking into that possibility as we speak."

"Do you really think she'd go that far to hide her identity," Tim asked. "I mean, it's not like she knows we're on to her."

"It may have more to do with a business stand point," Bruce said. "With the high level on what's taking place, there's no telling who might be watching."

"Fair point, what about Dick," Tim asked. "Has he made it yet, I haven't seen him from up here."

"No, he has yet to show up." Bruce answered.

"What about that guy you were watching," Tim questioned. "Have you ruled him out of the fold?"

"Not yet," Bruce replied. "There's still a chance he's the one who plans to meet with her, that is if she even decides to show."

"What are you implying?"

"Maybe there's more to this trade than I thought."

"A trade," Tim questioned. "Does this still have to do with that woman?"

"Are you suited up?"

"Of course."

"Good, now stay on the look out," Bruce instructed. "I think we might be in for something unexpected."

"Care to elaborate, I'm feeling a little more on the dark side of things."

"Don't have time, but I'll give you the rest of the details later," Bruce replied. "But right now I need to find the two accomplices, contact me if you see anything."

"Sure thing."

They ended their discussion from there, resulting in him directing his attention back to the guests. He looked to the wall where the man with the cap had once been, coming to find he was no longer there.

"Should have kept an eye on him," Bruce thought while looking around. "There's no telling where he ran off to now."

It wasn't long after that another man headed to the far side of the room, joining the two security guards who were still standing in front of the table which had been brought in.

"Now there's three people standing guard in front of that table, makes you wonder what they plan to do," Bruce said. "Maybe it has something to do with tonights main event."  

He then focused back to the case at hand, continuing to make his way around the room as he looked over those around him. It took a little over three minutes for him to skim the whole crowd of people, having no luck in what he was hoping to find.

"Time to round it back," Bruce thought. "That man who was wearing the cap may be my only lead, I've got to find him."

Relocating him was the tough part, backtracking from to where he had previously searched. The sound of his phone ringing in the passing moment could be heard from within his pocket, ignoring this as he continued to search for the man that had been awarded his attention.

"There's three minutes left until six thirty," Bruce said after glimpsing down at his watch. "She should have been here by now."

He turned off his phone after the ring could no longer be heard, not wanting to be disturbed by anything from the outside until all was accomplished. It became more and more difficult to see who was present throughout the room as more guests continued to pile in.

"I need to find that hatted man," Bruce thought to himself. "If he is in fact the one meeting with that woman seen in the video, there's no telling how long or brief their meet will be."

He looked to the left to search the other portion of the room, feeling as someone pushed past him from behind. This caused him to turn around, watching as two women and a man made their way toward the covered table as well. He found his interest level growing, following the three of them while at the same time keeping a look out to those around him.

The temperature steadily dropped as the minutes past. Neither had said a word to the other since their last exchange. He looked over at him, several thoughts running through his mind. He took a step toward him, alerting him of his presence.

"You're awfully quiet, I almost forgot you were up here to be honest."

"I'll take that as a compliment," Conan said giving into his sarcasm. "If you don't mind, there's one thing I'd like to ask you."

"Go ahead."

"When I walked in earlier, when the two of you were in the study." Conan began.

"This is about my fathers secret, isn't it," Damian stated. "I already know everything, if that's what you were wondering."

"How did you know what I was going to ask?"

"Your expression," Damian replied. "This morning when you walked into the study when we were going over the video footage, you looked surprised to see I was involved with the investigation."

"I guess it was a little unexpected."

"I'm going back inside," Damian said walking forward. "You're free to stay up here if you so choose."

He stood there for the next few seconds before deciding to follow after him.

"Hey, wait up," Conan said. "I'll come with you."

He moved forward from there, nearly slipping forward after taking a couple steps. Hearing the sound of the slight commotion, he turned back to face him.

"Is something wrong?"

"Just tumbled a little, it's nothing to worry about." Conan assured.

He was still skeptical, taking the time to look into his eyes.

"Are you sure you're ok?" Damian asked.

"I guess I do feel a tad bit drained," Conan admitted. "I could use something to drink."

"Follow me."

They made their way back into the house through the window they had come. Many things flowed throughout his his mind as they walked through the dark house, keeping pace with him from a few feet behind.

"It's one thing that he knows everything, but where does he fit into it all?"

He lead them to the kitchen upon reaching the main floor, turning on the light after walking in. It took a few moments for his eyes to adjust, looking over to see him slide the fridge door open.

"What would you like?"

"Anything will do."

He pulled out the closest jug of juice near his hand before walking over to grab a glass cup. After filling up the cup he placed it to the side of the counter.

"Drink up." Damian said before heading back over to the fridge.

"Thanks."

He walked up to the counter to grab the cup, bringing it into his hand after reaching it. He took a small sip, holding out the cup in front of him as he felt himself shaking from within. It was a calm and weakening coldness, something he had never felt before. Damian immediately took notice of him after reclosing the fridge door.

"Hey Kudo, you don't look so hot."

It was no secret he was losing control, feeling the cup slide from out of his grasp down to the ground with a shattering exchange. It wasn't until then that he felt himself falling forward, everything darkening to the mind as he dropped head first. Damian walked up to his body, staring down at him for the next few moments.

"You have got to be kidding me."

The five of them looked on as he approached, more than delighted to have him join their little group.

"Just the person I was hoping to see," The woman standing directly across said. "I was hoping to get the chance to meet you while I was in town."

"Guess that doesn't require an introduction on my behalf," Bruce stated. "You clearly already know who I am, that just leaves you."

"Catheron, Catheron Edelman," She replied while shaking his hand. "And this is my assistant of two years."

She turned to the woman who stood next to her who smiled in the process.

"And you are?" Bruce asked.

"Aileen," She replied almost instantly. "Pleasure to meet you Mr. Wayne, I've heard much."

"So what's with this whole set up?" Bruce asked out of curiosity.

"A bidding," Catheron replied. "Half the money collected will be given to charity, our company has sponsored several monthly events such as this for the past three years."

"Bidding huh," Bruce said directing his attention to the covered table. "What exactly is up for auction?"

"That's as much as I'm going to say," Catheron smilingly said. "I don't want to spoil the whole surprise."

"Understood."

"I hope you decide to participate, I'm sure you'll find something to your liking."

Before another word could be spoken they were joined by two men who just finished setting up a couple chairs around the table.

"Who's is this?" One of them asked.

"His names Bruce Wayne." Aileen replied.

"Sorry about that," Catheron apologized. "He's new in town, he just arrived two weeks ago."

"Don't worry about it," Bruce said. "It doesn't bother me one bit."

"Nice to meet you Mr. Wayne," He said with the tip of his hat. "I'm Aldon Boomer."

"I guess that just leaves me," The other man said stepping forward. "My names Matthew Thompson, but you can call me Matt."

"I take it that's what most people call you?"

"That's right," Matt said with a nod. "I had no idea you would be here, your name wasn't listed amongst the others on the guest list."

"It was somewhat of a last minute thing."

"We've got about a minute until we're scheduled to begin." Matt said checking his watch.

"Why don't you let me relieve you of your hand bag," Aldon said coming to Aileen's side. "You've had that over your shoulder since the time we got here."

"Thanks, I wasn't really thinking about that." Aileen said as he pulled the bag from over her head.

"I'll set it next to your chair at the last chair on the left."

"That will do."

He left the group from there, walking around the table toward the other side.

"I guess that's my cue," Bruce said taking a step back. "I'd hate to put anything on hold, I'll let the four of you get situated with whatever it is you've got going."

"I appreciate the that," Matt said. "Perhaps we can talk once things are finished, there's something I'd like your opinion on."

"I'll see you then."

With that he turned toward the other side of the room, heading back to the wall he had occupied for most of the night thus far. Unsurprisingly there was still no sign of her. He searched the room for the man that had come to his attention as well, having no luck sighting him throughout the large group.

"Don't have time to sit around and wait for either of them to show,"Bruce said. "I need to start looking for any potential meeting spots, somewhere discreet."

He took everything into account, even the other rooms throughout the facility he had not yet checked. The lights began to dim as he made his way toward the exit, watching as a security guard took his place in front of the door.

"Just what I needed."

The room continued to darken, turning around just in time to see a bright light shine down upon the covered. Matthew was the first out of his peers to step forward, smiling as he readied himself to address the crowd.

"They've blocked off both exits, looks like I have no choice but to stay put."

That didn't stop him from pushing forward with the task at hand, finding himself a lone spot in the room before pressing down to the ear piece.

"I just saw most of the lights go off, what's going on in there?"

"They're getting ready to hold some bidding event," Bruce informed. "How are things looking from outside there?"

"Nothing really to report."

"What about the cameras we set up in the other rooms," Bruce asked "Is anyone currently occupying any of them?"

"Besides the lobby, no," Tim answered. "And the only people in there are the ones who have been checking off those on the guest list."

"Let me know if you see anything."

"I'm assuming you haven't found our mystery woman yet, but what about Dick," Tim asked. "Have you seen him?"

"He still hasn't shown up, which means it's up to you and me," Bruce said. "Stay sharp, I'm counting on you."

Their transmission came to an end from there. He looked back to the front of the room to see Catheron had taken center stage, heading in closer to get a better view.

"As dark as this room may be, this is what they may have been anticipating all along," Bruce thought to himself. "For an opportunity to do business without others noticing, can't afford to drop my guard."

He looked back to the front for a brief moment to see the bright smile across her face.

"And without further ado," Catheron said reaching for the sheet. "Let the bidding begin."

She whipped the blanket aside as many looked on in amazement, laying their eyes onto several different jewels which were inclosed behind a large glass case which was laid out atop the table.

"Very delicate pieces," Bruce said. "Some of these gems are hard to get your hands on, rare to find even."  

Out of all the jewels that came to his eyes only one captivated him, moving in at its unique sparkle.

"What kind of diamond is that, I don't believe I've seen one quite like it."

Within that instance the lights that remained in the room completely shut down, leaving it nearly pitch dark. No one panicked at first, believing it was part of the set up.

"I wonder what this is all about."

It wasn't until the sound of the window at the left wall shattering apart could be heard that sparked an uneasy reaction. He was one of the few to keep his poise, listening to all that went on around him. Before he could fully assess the situation the sound of more glass being dislodged apart caused him to turn into that direction.

"That came from the glass case."

He decided not to move forward, not wanting to take the risk of bumping into anyone. Before he could decide on what to do next the lights surprisingly flashed back on, causing the uproar in commotion to come to an end. It all became clear within that one moment, looking to the glass case to see the diamond he had locked eyes on was now gone.

"What a night this is turning out to be."

He then turned his attention to the window that had been broken to find a rope hanging down into the room.

"Is everyone ok?" One of the security guards asked making his way to the center of the room.  

"What just happened?" A woman from behind asked.

"Clearly someone was after one of those diamonds," The guard answered. "And it looks like they were successful in taking it."

"Well if that's the case, aren't you going to go after them?" Matthew asked coming to his side.

"My comrade is calling for a search as we speak, they'll be on it in no time," The security guard said facing him. "What happened to your cheek, you've been cut."

"It happened when the lights went out," Matt replied. "I must have got nicked by a piece of glass when the window was shattered."

"As dark as it was I'm sure none of you saw anything, but did any of you happen to hear anything before the glass case was broken?"

"There was too much noise throughout the room as it was," Aileen said. "We wouldn't have known if someone was near."

"Is there anything else we can help with?" Catheron asked.

"Yes, I'm going to need all the details on what exactly was stolen."

Bruce watched on from the side as the questioning process began, looking over to where the rope still hung. He stood there for the next few minutes, watching as it swayed from one side to the other. He wanted to examine it further, deciding to head in for a closer look. There were multiple shards of glass on the ground upon reaching the rope.

"There's no way the thief could have escaped out through that window without being spotted," Bruce said. "The lighting from the moon would have given them away."

He thought about it for a moments longer, looking back and forth between the rope and window.

"Was this whole set up a decoy?"

He could hear the sound of someone approaching from behind, turning just in time to be joined by the officer who had been guarding the door.

"How may I help you."

"I'm going to tell you the same thing I told the other guy who was searching around here," He began. "We don't want anyone near any of the evidence, after all this is now a crime scene."

"Understood officer," Bruce said taking a step back. "On another note, would you happen to know which room the fuse box is in for this building?"

"Are the two of you working together or something," He questioned. "That other guy asked me the same exact thing."

"And who is that?" Bruce asked.

He took the next few moments to skim the room, catching sight of him examining the glass case where the diamond had been taken from.

"There he is, but what is he doing over there," The officer said. "I thought I made it clear we had this under control.

Bruce looked over as well, coming to find it was none other than the hatted man he had lost sight of earlier in the night.

"I've got him back on radar," Bruce thought with delight. "But who is he, and why is he interested in knowing where the fuse box is?"

To Be continued



 





Converting /tmp/phpWp5mTt to /dev/stdout