Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Uncertain Results ( Chapter 68 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 68
Uncertain Results

The clock continued to tick from the wall above. What was expected to be a short wait turned into minutes. He kept his eyes on all of the guests who were standing on the other side of the room, watching as Officer Celek made his way back along with the other four at his side.

"What's this all about," Aldon asked upon reaching them. "Did you find out who stole the diamond?"

"We have a good idea who did," James said in response. "But first we'd like to have a look through all of your accessories."

"You mean our belongings," Matthew questioned. "Do you think one of us is the one who took it?"

"The evidence seems to be pointing into that direction," James replied. "The sooner we get through this process the better, I'm sure most everyone would like to leave at this point in time."

"Truly spoken," Catheron said stepping forward. "Here, you can start by checking my bag."

"Officer Herman, would you take the honor of getting us started?" James asked looking to his side.

"Of course." Herman  agreed before sliding on a pair of plastic gloves.

He took the purse from her hand before walking it over to the table to examine all of the contents inside. Everyone patiently waited as the process began. He took this time to watch her, not seeing any hesitation or concern in her posture.

"None of this seems to be bothering her, not even a bit," Heiji thought to himself. "It gives you a solid vibe she didn't do it."

Officer Herman returned a short while later, handing her the purse back before zipping it shut.

"She's all cleared," Officer Herman said. "I found nothing suspicious from within her bag."

"That's one down," James said. "Who would like to go next?"

"You can check mine next," Matthew said pulling up a large blue back from down at his side. "I have a lot that I carry around, so you might as well get mine out of the way."

"Good idea." Officer Herman said reaching down to grab it.

"Here, let me help you," Heiji said lifting it up from the other end. "We'll get done a lot faster if we search his bag together."

Herman then turned to Gordon who gave him the go ahead nod.

"You heard the man, we'll get through this much sooner if the two of you work together."

"Understood sir."

The two of them took the bag over to the table, placing it beside the glass case before zipping the top pocket open. The first thing they laid their eyes upon was a long cloth, removing it to come across several jars. Each were filled with a different type of metal. Neither knew what to think, carefully taking them out one by one before laying them out across the table.

"What do you think is the meaning behind this small collection he's got here?"

"Don't know," Heiji replied. "That's something we'll have to address with Mr. Thompson once we're done here."

After emptying out the jars from the bag he turned his attention to the side pocket, pulling it open to find a couple more items.

"What do we have now?" Officer Herman asked watching from across the way.

"Things I was expecting we'd find." Heiji replied.

He pulled out a set of head phones along with a music device, followed up with an empty spray can. He continued to feel his way around, pulling out a compass and a half used pack of gum.

"Is that it?" Officer Herman asked.

"Still looking."

There was one last thing in the far corner of the bag, bringing it into his hand to find a hankerchief wrapped around something. The two of them shared quick glance, wondering what could be wrapped away inside.

"Could this be it?"

He slowly removed the hankerchief, unraveling what was hidden from beneath.

"What is it?" Officer Herman asked coming to his side.

"Most certainly not a diamond," Heiji said. "It's some kind of rock, and from its condition I'd say Mr. Thompson has taken good care of it."  

"You wait here, I'll go and get him," Officer Herman said. "I think we both would like an explanation for his jar collection he's got going."

"Take your time."

He rechecked all the pockets, wanting to be sure there was nothing he missed.

"Looks like he's cleared as well." Heiji said before focusing his attention back to the items upon the table.

It was the empty spray can in particular that caught his eye, leaning in closer to see exactly what was inside.

"Oven cleaner," Heiji thought. "Who carries around oven cleaner, or any empty spray can for that matter?"

He then checked the tops of each of the jars, discovering just how tight the lids were locked down. Officer Herman returned moments later with Matthew at his side.

"You wanted to speak with me?"

"We've searched your entire bag," Heiji said. "We didn't uncover the diamond, so that means you're all cleared."

"But we have a few simple questions." Officer Herman added.

"Go right on ahead, I'm listening."

"Alright then, how about we start with the jars," Heiji began. "What's with the collection of metal's you've got stored away?"

"I actually plan on running a small experiment," Matt replied. "That is once I get all of this stuff back to the lab."

"A lab?"

"We also found this empty bottle amongst your belongings," Officer Herman pointed out. "Is that something you do often?"

He couldn't help but laugh at this.

"I didn't even realize that was in there," Matt said. "Where did you find it?"

"In the side pocket along with your head phones, compass, and a pack of gum." Heiji replied.

"So you had no reason for keeping the empty spray bottle?"

"Not at all officer."

"I guess that means you wouldn't mind if I take it?"

"Be my guest," Matt responded. "I have no further use for it."

"You're free to go back and rejoin the others," Officer Herman said. "We'll get your bag back to you as soon as we repack everything."

"Thanks, I'll be waiting."

With that he headed back to where the others awaited. They took no time in setting everything back in place before zipping the bag shut once again.

"So what do you think?"

"He was cooperative enough, regardless of some of the questionable continents in his bag," Heiji said. "That means our thief is one of the other two."

"Earlier you said you had an idea who it was, has anything changed since then?"

He didn't get the chance to respond, looking over his shoulder to see Gordon heading over with Aileen at his side.

"She has volunteered to go next." James said resting her purse atop the table.

"I'll let the two of you handle this one," Officer Herman said. "I'm going to go ahead and return Mr. Thompson's bag to him."

"And while you're at it, go and see if they've collected all surveillance camera's just like I asked." James added.

"Will do Commissioner."

He lifted the heavy bag from there, steadily positioning over his shoulder before making his way to the other side of the room. James then turned to Heiji who did the same in return.

"What do you say we get this over with?"

"I helped with the last one, would you like to handle this one yourself Commissioner?"

"You've done a good job up till this point, I think you're entitled to finishing it."

"Loud and clear," Heiji said before turning to Aileen. "And you're ok with me searching your bag?"

"I didn't know I had a choice."

"You always have a choice."

"Permission granted, I have nothing to hide from you or anyone for that matter."

"That's all I needed to hear."

He tightened the gloves around his hands before reaching down to grab the zipper. As expected there was much to be found inside, taking his time to carefully maneuver his way through. The first thing he came across was a crumpled receipt and and a bottle of perfume. He placed both items aside after removing them from the bag, followed by billfold and a container of chapstick. He froze at what he saw next, not expecting to see what came to his eye.

"What's wrong," James asked taking notice of the hesitation. "Is that all she had in her purse?"

It took a few moments for him to recollect himself, looking toward Gordon as he lifted the eye grabbing gem from inside the bag.

"This is it," Heiji informed. "This is the diamond that went missing after the lights blacked out."

"Are you sure?" James asked.

".. Positive."

He then turned to Aileen who still stood at his side, coming to find a surprised look on her face. Not only surprised, but just as shocked as he seemed to be.

"I swear I had nothing to do with this," Aileen said. "I didn't even know it was in there."

"I'm sorry to say, but I'm going to have to ask you to come on a little ride with me," James said. "One which will take us down to the police station, unfortunately."

"You have to belive me," Aileen plead. "Why would I want to take something I have no use for?"

"There's not much I can do at this point, especially since the diamond was discovered within your belongings," James stated. "We'll discuss this further once we get to the station, but right now I'm going to have Officer Celek escort you out to the car."

"You don't believe me, do you?"

"You're innocent until proven guilty," James replied. "And that's where I stand on the matter."

He called for Officer Celek who almost immediately responded.

"What's going on Gordon," Officer Celek asked upon reaching him. "Have you retrieved the missing diamond yet?"

"As a matter a fact we did," James said holding it up. "Turns out it was hidden at the bottom of Ms. Aileen's purse."

"I see," Officer Celek said. "What do you want me to do?"

"I want you to take her down to the station," James replied. "We'll begin further procedure from there."

"How long should I expect until your arrival?"

"No longer than an hour," James replied. "I'd like to make sure everyone is cleared out of here before I leave."

"Understood, then I'll see you then."

The others watched on from where they stood, speechless at the sight of her hands being cuffed together. She kept her head down the whole way out, too embarrassed to face any of her comrades. He shook his head as he looked on, feeling a strong hand touch down to his shoulder from behind. He turned, not surprised to find him standing before him.

"What's wrong, you don't look too satisfied with the results."

"That's because she wasn't the one who did it, someone must be setting her up," Heiji said. "Though the diamond was found amongst her belongings, I there's not much evidence that supports she was the one who put it there."

"Then tell me," Bruce said taking a step back. "Out of the four, who do you think put it there?"

"I thought for sure I would find it in Mr. Thompson's bag."

"What lead you to believe that?"

"A series of things, but most in particular the cut on his cheek," Heiji replied. "He claimed he received it after the glass case was broken in the dark, but the angle of his cut tells another story."

"What do you mean?"

"The cut on Matthew's cheek is slanted downward, so wouldn't that imply that shards of glass fell down at him instead of upward like he's claiming?"

"You make a good point," Bruce said. "After all Matthew did say he stood up from his seat after hearing the window shatter, so I don't see how the glass case being busted could have got his cheek cut if he was standing."

"Which means he could have only gotten the cut while standing under the window after using the rope hook to shatter it."

"But that still doesn't explain how or why the diamond wound up in Aileen's hand bag."

"I see, you're not sold on it are you," Heiji asked. "You think that she's the one who actually set this all up."

"No, there's just one small detail you've neglected to pay any mind to up til this point."

"One small detail?"

"Their foot attire," Bruce said. "Out of the four of them Aileen was the only one wearing high heels, I doubt she would have been able to shatter the glass window and then run all the way back to the glass case to do the same in such a short time."

"You're right," Heiji said. "It was only a matter of seconds in between each incident."

"That's not the only thing," Bruce said. "I came across a few foot prints on the ground when I went to go check out the fuse box, they belonged to someone wearing a pair of shoes, not high heels."

"In other words, you think our thief visited that room before you did?"

"Exactly," Bruce said before reaching into his jacket. "I found this on the ground after running a search of the room."

"A piece of glass?"

"That's what I first thought as well," Bruce said. "But after giving it a closer look I've come to find it's actually part of a light bulb, whoever was in that room before Officer Celek and I arrived must have knocked it down."

"Why would someone want to do that?"

"To hide the trick they had set in place," Bruce replied. "I don't know the full extent of how they got the lights to go off for that brief amount of time, but I know it all begins and ends with that room."

"Besides the foot prints and light bulb piece you found, was there anything else eye grabbing?"

"I did come across some tape on the wall, not to mention the lever to the fuse box was wet."

"I'm guessing the floor was wet as well, considering you were able to make out the shoe prints," Heiji said. "But what do you think caused the floor to become wet?"

"I didn't have enough time to figure that one out," Bruce replied. "My search was cut short after Officer Celek returned from his phone conversation."

"You knew from the beginning didn't you," Heiji asked. "You knew she wasn't the one who took the diamond, so how come you didn't say anything before they took her away?"

"The same reason you didn't, the lack of conclusive evidence," Bruce replied. "But don't worry, I'll have her out as soon as we can."

"Which means the true thief is either Aldon, Matt, or Catheron," Heiji thought to himself. "But if that's the case, why hide the diamond in Aileen's bag where it could easily be discovered?"

"I have no idea what that means, but that was most incredible to watch." Someone said from behind.

The two of them turned at the sound of her voice, looking to see who had joined them at the center of the room.

"Ms. Fournier," Bruce said. "I was wondering when I'd see you again."

"Sorry about that, I got caught up in something."

"Who's this with you?" Bruce asked taking notice of the man next to her.

"Nathan Bennet," Bernadea replied. "My fiance."

"Nice to meet you Wayne."

"To you as well," Bruce said shaking his hand. "How long have the two of you been engaged?"

"Next Monday makes a month," Bernadea replied. "But enough about that, who's your detective friend?"

"His names Heiji, he's actually here on a little trip from Japan."

"Long way from home I see," Nathan said. "Though I must say it was more than entertaining to watch you handle that case."

"You were watching?" Heiji asked.

"Weren't we all?" Bernadea remarked.

"Wasn't there something you wanted me to see Ms. Fournier?"

"Bernadea, call me Bernadea."

"Of course."

She reached down to her side from there, pulling out a small card which she handed to him.

"What's this?"

"My fathers business card," Bernadea replied. "I would love to further elaborate, but we're running late as it is."

"Where to?"

"We agreed to meet with some friends at at a theater across town," Bernadea replied. "But you'll be hearing from me soon, as early as tomorrow even."

"I look forward to it."

"See you guys around." Nathan said.

The both of them headed toward the exit from there, waving back to the two of them before walking out.

"They seemed like a nice bunch," Heiji said looking over at him. "Any idea what she plans to call you about?"

"Your guess is as good as mine."

"So where's Kudo," Heiji asked. "I thought for sure he'd be here tonight, at least that's what Grayson said."

"I didn't think we'd need his assistance, so I had him stay behind at the manor," Bruce informed. "But you'll see him when we get there."

"But I thought I was staying with Drake?"

"Did Dick tell you that as well?"

"Why, does Drake not know I'm here?"

He did his best to hold back a smile as he turned to walk.

"What do you say we go and find Dick," Bruce suggested. "I'm sure he's found a parking space by now."

"You lead the way."

"Of course."

To Be Continued










Converti ng /tmp/phptlxriM to /dev/stdout