Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ One Lead to Another ( Chapter 70 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 70
One Lead to Another

"A Mini Lon huh, sounds intriguing," Dick said before checking the time on his watch. "How soon did he say he would be here?"

"Around twelve O'clock."

"Which is only fifteen minutes from now," Dick said rechecking the time. "I guess I can wait it out for a little longer."

"Better make that twenty five," Conan said after removing his hands from his pocket. "We all know how forgetful he can be when it comes to time."

At that very moment a booming sound could be heard from outside. They weren't sure what it was at first, taking the time to have a look out the window to see him slowly trailing in past the gate on a motor cycle. He removed the helmet after parking aside the lawn, hanging it upon the handle before pushing up.

"Ok, I stand corrected." Conan said as he headed their way.

Dick opened the door on his way up the stairs, stepping off to the side to leave a clear path.

"Nice bike." Conan commented.

"Thanks, I've only had it for about a month now." Tim said as the door closed from behind.

"What do you say we dive right into it," Dick said. "I don't have much time as it is."

"Why, do you have somewhere to be?"

"Business down town," Dick replied. "I have another hour before I need to be there."

"So tell us," Conan said. "What is it you were able to find out?"

"I actually started off by going over the guest list, there were only five people on there who didn't show," Tim informed. "Of the five, only two of them sparked my interest."

"Please do continue." Dick said.

"Herman Richardson and a Wes Barnett," Tim replied. "Wes is the CEO of a major constructions company, in fact they've been doing a lot of work here in Gotham for the past few months."

"I think I've seen of few of the sites while we were driving around," Conan said. "What about Herman Richardson?"

"An up and coming politician, he actually plans to run for senator at the next election."

"So which one's the odd man out?" Dick asked.

"Herman," Tim replied. "He was virtually unknown to the public eye a few months ago, but has surged at a vast rate in just these past few weeks."

"And what's the problem in that?" Conan questioned.

"That's not what bothers me, but rather where the money's been coming from," Tim replied. "I wasn't able to find who's been funding all these events he been hosting, and that's something that shouldn't be to hard to find."

"Did you check his bank records?" Bruce asked.

"Only to find small sums of money going in and out, most certainly not enough to account for what he's currently got going," Tim replied. "That must mean whatever money he's collecting must mostly be through cash."

"That would explain the lack of records," Dick said. "Whoever's been funding him must have a good deal of money."

"That's all good and said, but what does any of that have to do with the woman we've been searching for?" Conan asked.

"I'm glad that you asked," Tim said looking his way. "Beileve it or not as popular as he's become, he still has his very straight forward non supporters."

"Any threats?" Dick asked.

"That's exactly what lead me to my latest find," Tim replied. "After filtering Herman's name through my search function I came across a private lan network, well something like it."

"Were you able to gain access to this network?" Bruce asked.

"Not until overriding the security fire walls," Tim replied. "It was no walk in the park."

"What did you see once you got through."

"More than what I was expecting to find," Tim answered. "It was a network full of names, with a list of assignments directly in the column across."

"Names and assignments," Conan questioned. "What exactly were they set up for?"

"Hits, several hits at that."

"So let me guess," Conan said. "Herman Richardson was one of the targets listed?"

"That's not all , I even found out who was assigned the task," Tim informed. "Screen named SLNoir."

"And you think this SLNoir person is the woman you've been searching for."

"I don't think, I know it's her," Tim said turning toward Dick. "I checked a folder which read 'completions', once inside I was able to find information on former assignments along with the outcomes of each."

"Kind of like a time table?" Conan asked

"Exactly," Tim confirmed. "Once inside I searched for the screen name 'SLNoir', and sure enough it lead straight back to our eye patched friend."

"Was the location of the hit listed?"

He nodded in response.

"They even had the cause of death recorded," Tim informed. "Exactly the same as what the police reported."

"So SLNoir was hired to kill him at that public event, which means we've got her locked in," Conan said stepping forward. "All we have to do is keep an eye on Mr. Richardson, it's only a matter of time before she'll find another opportunity to make her move."

"What about this Mini Lon Bruce told us about," Dick asked. "Does this have anything to do with what you discovered as well?"

"It's actually the name of the main storage area," Tim replied. "Which just so happens to link several other running networks through a data link layer."

"Like a network bridge?" Bruce asked.

"Perfectly put," Tim said. "There were approximately twenty other networks bridged to the Mini Lon, how many users who were connected to those is unknown at this time."

"What about the other targets," Bruce asked. "If  you still have access to this list, I'd like to account for every planned hit of theirs."

"As dumb as this may sound, I was kind of limited on time frame," Tim smilingly said. "Not even two minutes in the computer sensors picked up a circulating virus, which I'm assuming came from one of the other linked networks."

"And what was the problem in that, weren't your safety walls active?"

"Didn't want to take the risk," Tim said. "If my computer became even remotely affected it could have exposed my location."

"Don't you have a VPN system set up?" Bruce asked.

"I do, but some of these viruses can be very elastic as you already know."

"Ok, now they're completely talking in another language."

"I'm doing the best I can to find out what kind of virus it is, and once I do I'm going to set up a counter wall."

"Why don't you give me the information to the Mini Lon as well," Bruce said. "I'll try and set up an anti virus of my own, that way we can gain a solution to this set back much sooner."

"Sure thing," Tim said before looking back toward Dick. "I guess I better link you to the Mini Lon as well, with the three of us working at it we'll have this taken care of in no time."

He immediately shook his head in decline.

"You know I'm not a computer guy, if you need any additional help why don't you try contacting Barbara," Dick suggested. "She'll be back in town in the next few days."

"I'll keep that option in mind."

"Regardless, The two of you should be able to handle this," Dick said before looking down at his watch. "I better get going, keep me updated on last nights case."

"The video footage from the camera's I set up are processing back at the house as we speak," Tim informed.  "I'll let you know what turns up."

"Until then."

He walked toward the door from there, calmly closing it on his way out.

"I have a phone call to make to Mrs. Ellote about a small dispute that took place earlier in the week," Bruce said before turning for the kitchen. "I won't be long."

He watched as he made his way past the kitchen door, feeling a tug at his pant leg in the following moments.

"You were so quiet I almost forgot you were there for a second."

"Could you rehash what the Mini Lon is exactly?"

"Weren't you listening?"

"It's not my fault I couldn't keep up with half of what you were saying." Conan admitted.

"I'm disappointed," Tim grinningly said. "With both Haibara and the good doctor at your disposal I thought you would have picked up with a lot of this stuff by now."

"I really don't have interest in computers to that kind of level."

"Obviously," Tim said removing his hands from within his jacket. "So how about I give you the basic layout of how the system runs down?"

"That will work."

"It's all kind of like a spiderweb used for plotting out ideas, I'm sure you've created one for a class project before," Tim began. "Think of the Mini Lon as the main heading or system, then you have all the other computer networks branched off of it."

"That clears it up a bit, but why is everything linked through several separate networks," Conan asked. "Why don't they all just connect straight to the Mini Lon itself?"

"I would be lying if I told I knew the answer to that, but I may I have a good idea why," Tim replied. "I'm thinking each network is set for a certain group of individuals, making it easier for preparation."

"By certain groups, you mean the guys setting up the hit lists right?"

"Correct."

"Now I get it," Conan said. "You believe each person running a given network constructs their part of the plan before uploading it up on the Mini Lon for the others to see, which then allows for the next group of guys to set up the next step."

"This can range from who's handling the locations and dates, to those providing weaponry if necessary," Tim added. "Glad to see you caught on."

"If your hunch turns out to be true, that still doesn't answer the other half of the question," Conan said. "We still don't know why they chose to plot everything out through separate systems, especially since everything ends up at the same location."

"And we might not know for some time, gaining the information for that might actually require an inside guy."

"Easier said than done," Conan stated. "Fact is we don't even know who's running the tables, let alone who their accomplices are."

"I never said they would be a willing participant."

He looked toward him for a third time, pausing at his comment for the next few moments.

"I'm not even going to ask what that's supposed to mean," Conan said deciding to switch gears. "So where's Heiji, how come he didn't come with you."

"I see you've heard, was wondering when you'd ask."

"So what's the deal," Conan asked. "Was this whole thing supposed to be some kind of big surprise?"

"If it was, mission accomplished," Tim said. "I didn't find out he was here until last night, it wasn't long after that I was informed that he would be staying with me."

"I guess that'd be the second time for you this week," Conan said finding some humor in the situation. "So where is he now?"

"He was still asleep when I left," Tim replied. "Last I saw him was at mid night, that's around where he headed to bed."

"No telling when he'll be up."

"You could try giving him a call," Tim suggested. "If he doesn't answer I could bring him over once he awakes."

"We'll let him have his sleep," Conan said after giving it some thought. "The last thing I'd want is for him to explode over the phone."

"You really think he would?"

"Believe me, it's best this way."

"I'll take your word for it."

The kitchen door reopened soon after with both Bruce and Alfred making their way out toward the front door.

"That was relatively quick, how'd your call with Mrs. Ellote go?"

"She wasn't able to make it to the phone at the time, so I left a message," Bruce replied. "I'm going out for a little drive, do you think you can have the Mini Lon attached to the main computer by the time I return?"

"Won't be a problem," Tim replied stepping back as he made his way by. "Where are the two of you headed off to anyway?"

"There's actually a couple stops I need to make, starting with a visit to Nano High."

"Sounds like your kind of place." Conan said looking up at Tim.

"Never heard of it."

"It's the name of the company owned by Lonard Fournier," Bruce informed. "Father of Bernadea, the woman I met last night while at the city hall."

"What business do you have there?"

"Won't know until I get there," Bruce replied. "It's Mr. Fournier who called for this little arrangement, but I'm sure he has an expansion in mind."

"What makes you think that?" Tim asked.

"I did some research on the company, most signs would indicate this," Bruce replied. "Not only on a business stand point, but for more depth as well."

"I'll set everything up for you while you're away," Tim said. "How long until I should expect your return?"

"Some time after one," Bruce replied before heading for the door. "There's something I need to check on in the garage Alfred, I'll meet you out at the car as soon as I'm finished."

"I'll see you there."

He pushed past the door from there. The three of them then turned at the sound of someone heading up the stairs from the other side of the room, watching as he wiped the sweat from the back of his neck with the use of a cloth.

"That would explain all the racket." Damian said looking toward Tim who did the same in return.

"Damian, we're taking a drive up to a place called Nano High," Alfred informed. "From what I've heard you might be interested."

"I'll pass, I still have a couple sessions to burn as it is."

"Where were you anyway," Conan asked as he neared. "Back down in the armory?"

"So, I see you're still alive." Damian said walking past him toward the stairs.

The three of them watched as he headed up, watching as he walked past the first door at the top of the stairs. Silence ensued in the moments that followed.

"Why do I even try?"

Just as he was to turn a hand touched down to the side of his shoulder.

"Try not to take in everything he says, a lot of his comments have no true meaning behind them." Alfred said.

"Not to worry," Conan said in response. "I think I've realized that by now."

"I'm going to go start up the car," Alfred said turning for the door. "You're welcome to come along if you so choose."

"I'd take him up on that offer if I were you," Tim said. "Nine out ten says you'd be more interested in what Nano High has to showcase rather than watching me get the Mini Lon loaded up onto the server."

He took a few seconds to weigh both options, looking up at him after coming to a decision.

"Do you still think you'll be here once we return?"

"Most likely not," Tim replied. "But I'll try and drop by some time later, our sleeping friend should be awake by then."

"So does that mean you're coming?" Alfred asked after reopening the front door.

"Right behind you." Conan said before following after him.

They closed the door on their way out, heading straight for the car which sat parked at the side of the gate. Once there he found himself a seat in the back like most other times, strapping in as he leaned back in wait. They sat for approximately two minutes before he made his way out of the garage toward them.

"What exactly was he doing in there?" Conan asked.

"Just the daily check up."

"A daily check up?"

He joined them soon after, having a seat to the passenger side before buckling in himself. It wasn't until the car started up that he took notice of him from behind.

"I see you've decided to come along."

"It wasn't a hard decision to make."

"I've been meaning to ask," Bruce said after facing forward. "Have you contacted anyone to let them know how you're doing?"

"Not since the first day I arrived," Conan replied. "Why do you ask, did someone try to call?"

"No, just checking to see if you were touching base with them."

"Now that you mention it, I probably am due for another check up," Conan said before looking down at his watch. "It's one something in the morning there, so I'll have to wait until tonight to call."

He eased back once again, resting his head to the top of his hands as they made their way past the gate.

"How far is this place from here?"

"I don't know the exact distance," Alfred replied. "But since traffic shouldn't be to backed up at this time of day it should take us no longer than twenty minutes to get there."

They took off from there.  The roads were steady as anticipated, making for a clear path for the most part. After several minutes of driving down the roadside they reached their destination, looking up at the large structure which towered over all other buildings that surrounded it. He found an empty spot at the side of the street before coming to a stop.

"I'll let the both of you out from here, I shouldn't be parked too far away when you return."

"I'll call you once we're on our way back out." Bruce said before stepping out of the car.

Conan did the same, closing the door to the car before following him toward the entrance to the building which was only a few yards away. He caught sight of a large emblem on the side of the building, getting mixed emotions about its look.

"What is that supposed to be," Conan thought keeping his focus on the crammed together figures. "Perhaps it's a form of scattered electrolytes."

A few people exited out through the doors as they neared, causing the two of them to take a step off to the side. They continued on once all was cleared, entering to be welcomed by a cool breeze from the vents above.

"Love the fixtures they've got laid out in here."

"I'm inclined to agree." Bruce said in response.

"Any idea where you're supposed to meet with Mr. Fournier?"

"I wasn't told over the phone," Bruce replied. "But I'm sure we can get that all sorted out at the front desk."

Without further ado the two of them headed toward the large desk which was clear across the room from where they stood. He continued to observe the room as they walked, taking notice of a set of elevators to the right of the room. He then looked to the left to see what appeared to be a waiting area, filled with several comforting chairs which all surrounded sat around a small table. Upon looking away he took note of a fish tank at the far corner of that side.

"Not too shabby."

Before he knew it they were in front of the desk.

"There's no one here," Conan said. "Any idea where they might be?"

"I saw someone head through that back door there when we first walked in," Bruce pointed. "I'm sure they'll be back momentarily."

"That would explain." Conan said before hearing the buzz from his phone.

Without thought he pulled it from out of his pocket, surprised at the incoming call.

"It's Mitsuhiko, but it's only about to be two in the morning in Tokyo," Conan thought to himself. "Why would he be calling at a time like this, unless... unless something is wrong."

Most everything had been quiet throughout the house as he worked, leaving him too almost forget he was not alone. The sound of the door sliding aside alerted him of his presence, looking away from the computer to see him approaching.

"Damian, what are you doing in here?"

"I overheard your conversation with the others a bit ago," Damian said. "About that... Mini Lon?"

"And?"

"You said there was a virus that could potentially expose your location," Damian continued. "If that's the case, why not work from anther computer that's not connected to your system?"

"Believe me, that's something that crossed my mind," Tim said. "The only problem is is would still present the problem of them knowing someone was trying to hack hack into their network."

"Triggering them to become suspicious," Damian finished. "Looks like that route won't work after all."

He sat back in the chair as he watched him think for the next few seconds.

"Why are you really in here," Tim asked. "I know you didn't come here to flip notes back and forth with me about the Mini Lon."

"Didn't know it was that obvious." Damian said before placing a picture onto the table.

Tim glimpsed down at it, looking back toward Damian in confusion.

"What's this?"

"A lead," Damian replied before rotating the photo. "Tell me, do you recognize either of these two men?"

He took the time to give the image a harder look, bringing it into his hand as he sat up.

"The man on the right, that's Herman Richardson," Tim realized almost instantly. "Where did you get this photo?"

"I've been doing a little digging of my own." Damian replied.

"Who's the guy next to him?" Tim asked after looking back at the photo.

"His names Jefferson Eldelmon," Damian replied. "A business partner and well trusted friend of Mr. Richardson."

"That's nice to know and all, but why are you telling this?"

"Always so impatient." Damian said before pushing his way to the computer.

"What are you doing?"

"Sit still," Damian said. "This will only take a moment."

He opened up a new window, navigating to the folder set up for all video files. It was only a matter of seconds before he found what he was looking for, clicking down to the play button.

"This is the recorded footage from the night club where that woman was last seen," Tim said. "Why do I need to see this again?"

Damian didn't reply, simply pausing the video after twenty seconds in.

"There," Damian pointed. "Look at who our mystery hooded woman is talking with."

Tim did as he said, blowing up the imagery to get an even better look. It took a few seconds for everything to connect, looking back down at the photo then back to the screen.

"The man she was meeting with was."

"Jefferson Eldelmon," Damian completed. "It can't be coincidence, he's got to be the one who's hired that woman to assassinate Herman."

"Now I see, that's why you brought all this to me" Tim said. "You heard me mention Herman to these others, but why me?"

"Pardon?"

"Out of all people, why tell me," Tim asked. "I thought Bruce would have been your first choice, or Dick for that matter."

"It's simple," Damian said. "He told me he doesn't want me involved in this one, for whatever reason it may be."

"I wonder why that is," Tim thought. "Is there something about this that I don't know..?"

"And if I had gone to Grayson, he'd have told my father even if I had asked him not to," Damian continued. "That just leaves you.... I want in Drake."

"Now just hold on a second," Tim said sitting up from where he sat. "Before we discuss any of that, I want to know how you found out Jefferson's name."

"My father asked me to run a search with the image we had of him from the night club footage," Damian replied. "To see if we could find a match."

"Let me guess," Tim said fixating his eyes to his. "You lied to him about the results you found."

"I refuse to be sidelined, especially with a light task as this one."

"You know he'll probably look into it himself at some point," Tim said. "Regardless of that, is there anything else you know?"

"I might know when and where Mr. Eldelmon plans to be on Monday night, I just need your word," Damian said. "So what's it going to be, Drake?"

He took a few moments to think it through, give him a nod before turning his back to him.

"Let's make one thing clear," Tim said. "We do things my way, got it?"

"Fine by me," Damian said in acceptance. "Here's the deal, Jefferson plans to attend the birthday party of his friends wife at a bowling alley."

"Where at?"

"The one located at the east end of Gotham," Damian replied. "They just finished construction a month ago, you can't miss it."

"So if he's going to be at this party, then that means we're going to be there," Tim said. "It's our one opportunity to milk some information out of him."

"You don't mean inside the bowling alley do you?"

"Of course," Tim replied. "How else are we going supposed to get in close?"

"You're too high profile," Damian said in disagreement. "You'll draw in way too much unwanted attention, which is what we don't need."

"Who said I was going to be the one attending the party," Tim questioned while turning back to face him. "I just happen to know a certain visiting friend who fits the bill perfectly."

"Don't tell me you're referring to Kudo," Damian said. "I'm still amazed how you let that simpering wimp find out your secret, the guy can't even keep his footing."

"Perhaps you'll change your mind about him over time," Tim said. "And to answer your question, no that's not who I referring to."

"This better be good Drake."

To Be Continued
Converting /tmp/phpWHYdrA to /dev/stdout