Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Nano High ( Chapter 71 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 71
Nano High

It was only a matter of seconds after the call was received that he brought the phone to his ear, listening to the sound of a faded beep from the other line. He tried speaking out his name, gaining no one response in return.

"Did he hang up?"

He placed his phone back into his pocket from there, looking up just in time to see someone arrive at the front of the desk.

"Sorry to keep you waiting," A young man greeted after appearing. "I hope you haven't been waiting here too long."

"Not at all Mr. Hamilton," Bruce said after glimpsing down at his name tag. "We just arrived under a minute ago."

"So what is it I can help you with today?"

"I'm actually here to meet with Mr. Fournier," Bruce replied. "Would you happen to know which floor I might find him on?"

"Wait a minute," Mr. Hamilton said giving him a closer look. "You're Bruce Wayne aren't you, Lonard said I should be expecting you."

"Any idea where he might be at this given time?"

"The eighth floor," Hamilton replied. "First door on the left, no way you can miss him."

"Thank you for your time Mr. Hamilton." Bruce said before turning for the elevators.

"Anthony," He stated. "Call me Anthony."

"Alright then Anthony," Bruce said looking at him for a last time. "Until next time."

With that the two of them made their way to where the elevators were located. They didn't have to wait very long after pressing down to the button. The elevator door to the right slid open after only a couple seconds, allowing for them to step in. The first few moments up was filled with nothing but silence.

"Who was it that tried to calling you back there?"

"Say again." Conan replied looking up at him.

"When we were back in the lobby someone tried calling you," Bruce replied. "I didn't hear you engage in any kind of conversation, is everything ok?"

"It was just a friend of mine, he didn't respond when I said his name," Conan replied. "It's nothing to worry about, he might have called by accident."

He nodded before looking forward once again. They arrived to the eighth floor a short time later, taking a left just like they were instructed to do. The door was already opened as they approached, looking inside to see a man in the center of the room directing several others around.

"Do you think that's him?"

"Only one way to find out." Bruce said walking forward.

He turned at the sound of the two of them stopping from behind, a look of confusion coming to his face after doing so.

"Is there something I can assist you with?"

"We're looking for Mr. Fournier," Bruce replied. "Would you happen to know where we can find him?"

"Then you've come to the right place," He said with the extention of his hand. "I am Mr. Mr. Fournier, that must make you Bruce Wayne."

"It's good to finally get the chance to meet with you." Bruce confirmed with the shake of his hand.

"Indeed," Lonard said before looking down at his side. "And who might this young fellow be with you?"

"His names Conan, I'm watching him for a friend for the next week or so," Bruce answered. "I thought I'd give him a tour of the city, I hope you don't mind me bringing him along."

"Not at all," Lonard said brushing a hand past his scruffy mustache. "I have an idea, why don't we continue this in my office?"

"Where's that?" Conan asked.

"On the final floor," Lonard replied looking down at him. "The 50th floor to be exact."

"We're ready when you are."

"No better time than now," Lonard said before turning for the door. "They're busy in here as it is, best to give them some space."

The two of them followed him out, heading straight back for the elevator they had come. On the way up Conan looked over to see him adjusting the tie around his neck, pushing away from the wall before tapping his leg to get his attention.

"Mr. Fournier, can I ask you something?"

"Of course you can kid," Lonard replied looking down to face him. "You can ask anything you want."

"What exactly were those guys doing back in that room we were just in?"

"Just a little rearranging," Lonard replied. "It's something we do once a year, especially when we bring in any new merchandise."

"What kind of merchandise?" Conan asked out of curiosity.

"Upgrades needed for the company video software, windows, furniture, you name it," Lonard replied. "Don't be surprised if you see any high priced paintings around, I have a soft spot for that kind of stuff as well."

"I think we all take delight to art in some fashion or another." Bruce said.

The elevator came to a stop a short time later. One by one the three of them stepped out, entering a well spaced room. It was a hard sight to miss, the wall to the right was made of glass which allowed for a great view of much of the city.

"This is it," Lonard declared. "Welcome to my office."

"It doesn't get much better than this." Conan said marching forward.

He didn't come to a stop until reaching the glass wall, looking from one side to the other as he observed several areas of the city from where he stood. Lonard joined at his side moments later, letting out a smile as he too looked on.

"Magnificat, isn't it?"

"I'd say so," Conan said still looking into the distance. "How often do you find yourself standing here?"

"Believe it or not, almost every night," Lonard replied. "My daughter could even clarify that if you asked her, it helps me to relax my mind after many long days."

"Can't really blame you," Conan said. "With a view like this I might be prompted to do the same."

"I have a little business to discuss with Mr. Wayne, you're free to stay right here if you choose."

With that he turned back for the other side of the room before leaving his side. Conan stood there for minutes to come, looking over his shoulder to see the two of them had taken a seat at a couch nearby where they had engaged in conversation. He focused his attention back to everything beyond the glass wall, finding himself lost within the moment. It was the sound of his phone that leveled him back into reality seconds after dosing of. He quickly reached for it, answering it as soon as he read the number.

"Mitsuhiko, are you there?"

"Well of course," Mitsuhiko replied. "I am the one who called after all."

"Is everything ok?"

"I was just thinking of asking you the same thing," Mitsuhiko said. "I haven't heard from you since you left, most of us didn't find about your trip until after the fact."

"It was kind of a last minute thing," Conan said. "But why are you calling so early, shouldn't you be asleep?"

"I guess you could say I was a little worried about you, I just wanted to make sure everything was ok."

"I'm doing just fine," Conan assured. "You tried calling me a little earlier, when I picked up all I could hear was a ring."

"Sorry about that," Mitsuhiko apologized. "I thought I heard something dash past my window, it gave me a little scare."

"That would explain."

"So when are you coming back?"

"Don't know to tell you the truth," Conan replied. "No longer than three weeks I'd presume."

"That's good to know," Mitsuhiko said. "I'll call you later, don't want to wake up my parents by accident."

"Better yet, I'll call you next time," Conan said in response. "Be sure to tell the others I said hi when you see them."

"Deal."

With that the two of them hung up.

"That went well," Conan thought to himself. "At least that puts my brief concern to rest."

He slid his phone back into his pocket from there, turning away from the glass wall to still see the two of them chatting. wondering excatly what it was they were discussing. It wasn't long after that he heard the sound of a soft voice from his left side.

"Where is it coming from?"

There was no one to be seen upon his first look. He then took notice of a door, deciding to head toward it with little hesitation. The sound of another voice could be heard followed by something slamming as he neared, reaching his hand out to turn the knob. He pulled the door aside to reveal a smaller room, looking inside to see two men sitting at a table at the center of the room. It was difficult to hear what was being, watching as the man with his back turned to him looked to face him.

"Who are you?" He asked.

He was surprised at what he saw, resulting in him pausing for a short period.

"You look exactly like Mr. Fournier." Conan finally replied.

"If you mean Lonard, then of course, he's my twin brother," He laughingly said while sitting up from the chair. "I'm Grahm Fournier, are you looking for my brother?"

"Not at all," Conan replied. "I heard something slam and came to see what it was, I hope I didn't interrupt anything."

"You're fine kid, we were just about done here as it is," Grahm said. "What are you doing here anyway?"

Before he had the chance to respond he felt a hand touch down to the his shoulder, looking up to see Lonard standing at his side.

"I see you've met my brother." Lonard said.

"Lonard, what are you doing here," Grahm asked. "I thought you were down stairs directing the arrangements for next weeks sit down."

"I was, but put it on hold upon the arrival of Mr. Wayne." Lonard said as Bruce walked in from behind.

"You must be Grahm," Bruce said. "Your brother was just telling me about your work here at Nano High, I'm looking forward to seeing some of your stuff first hand."

"So I see you've agreed to terms."

"Just about, though we still have a few details to go over." Bruce said.

"What are you doing in here," Lonard asked. "I thought you would be down in the computer room, don't you still have to calculate the costs for the improvements for building b?"

"I was just about to head down there after my discussion with Mr. Bennet."

He waved to the two of them from where he sat, standing to his feet right after.

"Welcome to Nano High."

Lonard walked over to his side from there, dropping a hand to the back of his neck before letting out a huge smile.

"This is Nathan, the CCO of the company," Lonard said. "And soon to be husband of my daughter."

"As I was told at the city hall," Bruce said stepping forward with the lift of his hand. "It's good to see you again Mr. Bennet."

"I'm glad you decided to come." Nathan said shaking his hand in response. "Bernadea said you would."

"The two of you are practically identical to one another," Conan said looking from one brother to the other. "So how do most people tell the both of you apart?"

"I'm afraid I'm unable to answer that." Lonard replied after giving it some thought.

"I still have a hard time with it myself." Nathan admitted.

"Are there any distinguishing differences between the two of you?" Conan asked.

"Nothing that can be seen at first glance," Lonard replied. "One difference between Grahm and I is that I'm left handed and he's not."

"Not much of a difference at all." Bruce said.

He made his way back toward the door, coughing as he did.

"Did you spray that air freshener again," Lonard asked looking directly to his brother. "You know I'm allergic to that stuff."

"Sorry about that," Grahm apologized. "I spilled a bit of vinegar earlier and sprayed a little something to clear out the smell."

"Just open a window next time," Grahm said tapping him on the shoulder. "I'm going to head back down stairs, I'll leave everything else to you."

He turned for the door, heading out with Bruce at his side. Conan was just about to do the same, catching sight of Grahm clutching a green slip of paper in his left hand.

"Just remember what we discussed," Grahm said. "We only have one shot at this, so don't mess it up."

"..Of course."

Grahm headed out from there, stepping to the side of Conan who was in his path. That left just the two of them. He looked over at Nathan who had made his way to a window near the far corner. He watched him for the next few seconds, deciding to exit out of the room himself soon after.

"I wonder what that was all about."

He made his way across the room, heading straight to the doors where both Bruce and Lonard waited the elevator.

"There you are," Lonard said as he approached. "I knew something was missing."

"I just wanted to have one last look at the city from up here before we left."

"You're free to come back anytime, that is of course if it is alright with Mr. Wayne," Lonard said. "I'm positive you'd find the view past night fall most promising."

The elevator doors slid open from there. The three of them quickly settled in before the doors had a chance to reclose. It was quiet on the way down, each keeping to themselves. He was still thinking about what he had seen, not sure if he should be concerned or not.

"I wonder what that slip of paper in his hand was... It's probably nothing." Conan thought to himself.

They reached the first floor soon after. Conan was the first to walk out closely followed by Bruce just a few steps behind.

"So when would you be interested in meeting for the final touches?"

"How about next Thursday," Bruce suggested. "I should have everything lined up by then."

"That plays perfectly into my schedule," Lonard said. "I'm looking forward to see what materials Wayne Enterprises has to offer."

"I'll give you a time as soon as I can, which will most likely be after noon." Bruce said as they neared the entrance doors.

"Whatever works best for you," Lonard said. "Thursday it is."

He nodded before walking past the entrance doors with Conan at his side. They followed the same path from earlier, leading them back to the roadway. He pulled his phone out to make a call, which didn't last long. Once finished he placed the phone back into the pouch of his jacket.

"I just spoke with Alfred, he should be here within the next minute."

"Where is he now?" Conan asked.

"Just a few blocks down," Bruce replied. "He'd have parked closer if there had been a spot available."

"If you don't mind me asking, what exactly was it you and Mr. Fournier were meeting about?"

"An expansion in resources," Bruce replied. "Particularly in what our science department has to offer."

"What do you have to gain out of all of this?"

"Much more minor in comparison," Bruce replied. "But it's always good to keep good relations, there's always benefits down the line no matter how you look at it."

It wasn't long after that the car pulled up to the side of the street. The two of them got in, buckling up before taking off.

"From the look on your face I'd say all went well."

"As expected," Bruce replied. "I plan to meet with him again next Thursday some time."

"Where to now?"

"We can head back to the manor," Bruce replied. "There's something I put on hold and would like to get on right away."

"The manor it is."

The next few minutes brought a period of silence. He reached forward to turn down the volume on the radio as they continued to drive, sitting back after doing so.

"You seemed uneasy just before we left Mr. Fournier's office," Bruce said still facing forward. "Was something wrong?"

"I'm surprised you noticed."

"Did it have anything to do with Grahm or Mr. Bennet?"

"They shared a noticeable exchange just as I was about to leave," Conan replied. "Not to mention the slam I heard which lured me to the room in the first place."

"What did you make of it?"

"I sensed some disagreement between the two, but I could be wrong," Conan replied. "It's probably nothing to worry about."

"Things can become stressful over time," Bruce said. "Especially when working for a company like Nano High, with all the responsibilities that come with the job it can take its toll."

"I guess you'd know a little something about that."

"We have several great staff members at Wayne Enterprises, so that's not something I worry about too often," Bruce said. "As they say, it's always good to keep good company."

"A very true statement." Alfred said in agreement.

"What about Grahm," Conan asked. "What is his position at Nano High?"

"He was promoted to vice president of the company roughly a month ago, what his former role was is unknown to me," Bruce replied. "But I wouldn't worry too much about what you saw between he and Mr. Bennet."

He rolled the window up from there, feeling the incoming cool breeze from the east side.

"Maybe he's right," Conan thought. "They did seem to be working on a tight schedule, not to mention Grahm being in such a hurry."

He laid it to rest for the time being, tilting his head back as he turned to look out the window. The clouds could be seen in the far distance cluttering together, hinting at a shift in weather. Not much was said the rest of the way there, all three listening to what was being broadcasted over the radio. He sat up as the house came into view after a margin of driving, looking down to his watch.

"We were gone longer than I thought," Conan said. "Only ten minutes until three O'clock."

"What do you plan to do for the rest of the day?" Alfred asked as they entered past the gate.

"Don't know for sure," Conan replied. "But I've got a few ideas in mind."

"Be sure to let me know if there's anything you need."

"I'll keep that in mind."

The two of them got out from there, heading for the house as Alfred continued toward the garage. As they made their way up the stairs to the front door they heard the sound of a loud motor, turning just in time to see a car heading up from down the road. It slowed up as it neared the gate, coming to a complete stop shortly there after. The two of them continued to watch as someone in a white suit capped off with a white hat stepped out from the vehicle, holding a briefcase in hand. Conan then looked to Bruce who was still at his side.

"Do you know who that man?"

"Never met him, nor do I know what he's doing here," Bruce replied. "But I suppose we'll find out soon enough."

To Be Continued



Converting /tmp/phpcC0XiS to /dev/stdout