Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Gotham's Black Bird ( Chapter 73 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 73
Gotham's Black Bird

The sky gradually darkened as they waited for his arrival. He continued to watch the figure moving from one side of the roof to the other, almost as if they were on the look out for something. The lack of light made it difficult to see what was happening in the surrounding area.

"We've been out here for the past twenty minutes now," Heiji said turning to see him leaned up against the wall. "He should have been here over five minutes ago, you sure we didn't miss him?"

"He drives a Chevy Camaro, I would have seen if he past by," Tim said. "We'll give it a couple more, in the mean time what do you say we set up?"

He pushed away from the wall, removing the bag from his shoulder before placing it onto the ground.

"I was wondering what you had stored away in there."

"Just a couple props to make sure everything goes through smoothly." Tim said before zipping it open.

He reached inside the bag to pull out a leather jacket out along with a ski cap, placing both items on before reaching back in to pull out two small electronic devices.

"What are those?"

"For communication," Tim replied before standing up and pinning one of them under the collar of his jacket. "This will allow me to hear anything you can once you're inside."

"Looks simple enough," Heiji said glimpsing down at it. "But how do I contact you with this thing, don't exactly see an on or off switch."

"That's not the intended design, this task won't require any communication between us," Tim said. "Don't panic if anything goes wrong, I've already got something set up if that's the case."

"That explains that, but what's with the cap and jacket," Heiji asked. "Not exactly your usual night apparel."

"Just a light shield for disguise, and since I'm watching the lower levels this will have to do," Tim replied. "I'd rather not take the chance of anyone noticing me."

"Where exactly will you be once I'm inside?"

"In this general area, there's no need to move around too much."

"I was expecting you'd be on the look out from up above," Heiji said before turning toward the other side of the street. "Speaking of which, what do you think's going on up on that roof there?"

"I was was wondering that myself, they've been up their since the time we arrived."

"Think they might be associated with those involved with the chess club?"

"Defiantly a possibility," Tim said. "But that would then raise the question why they're out here rather than inside."

A cool breeze glided past his left side resulting in him reaching down, zipping the jacket up to the bottom of his neck. He adjusted the ski cap atop his head as well, making sure it was tightly in place.

"Usually you set up shop on the roof, why the sudden change in tactic?"

"I've got it covered."

"How's that?"

The light shined bright as the car gashed past the side of the road, causing the both of them to turn in that direction.

"Looks like our guy has finally arrived," Tim said catching sight of the car as it slowed up upon reaching the building across the way. "No doubt, that's the same green Chevy Camaro that is registered to Jefferson."

"So what happens from here?"

"We wait," Tim replied. "I don't want you heading in too soon after his arrival."

"You afraid they might become suspicious?"

"No need for us to take the chance."

"Your call."

The car finally came to a stop after reaching the curb, the headlights shutting off in the passing moments that followed. It wasn't long after that the door on the passenger side slid open, the two watching as a man in a suit of white along with a top hat stepped out from the vehicle.

"Is that him?" Heiji asked.

"Undisputedly."

His claim was confirmed as the two watched him head straight for the stairwell on the right side of the building.

"We'll give it a couple minutes," Tim said turning back to Heiji. "I think it's time I let you in on the plan."

"The carpet's all yours."

Though his attention was driven elsewhere the TV continued to run. He slid down from the couch, walking over to the window located at the left side of the room. He stared out at the night sky, frozen at the sight of the fuming stars in the distance. It was at that moment that she came to mind, the sparkle from the stars giving him the same feel he got whenever looking into her eyes.

"Ran..."

It was now fifteen after seven, making it a little past eight in the morning clear across the globe. He pulled out his phone, staring down at her number for the first few moments before hitting dial. He instantly heard her voice, lowering the phone from his ear after being taken directly to the answering machine. He placed it back into his pocket before turning back for the couch.

"She's usually up for her morning jog by now, perhaps she hasn't returned from that event she's participating in," Conan said before retaking a seat. "I'll try again tomorrow some time, that is of course if she doesn't call back first."

The temperature only continued to drop as they continued to let the time pass. He checked his watch for about the fourth time in the past few minutes before giving him the nod.

"This will do, we've waited long enough," Tim said. "Remember what we discussed, keep everything in front of you."

"I think I've got it all down."

"Good, now make sure you hang onto this."

"What's is it?" Heiji asked taking a laminated card into his hand.

He flipped it over to the other side to see an image of himself.

"It's a card that will allow you clearance to get inside."

"That's a lot to enforce, especially for something as little as a chess club," Heiji said placing the card into his jacket. "Makes you wonder what else they might have going on inside."

"They're a private bunch, I don't think there's anything to worry about."

"I would ask how you know all this, but I'm sure you'd rather we get started."

"Remember not to make any eye contact with him once you're in," Tim reminded. "All we need is to hear what is said between he and his comrades."

"And what should I be listening for?"

"You'll know when you hear it, I'll be listening in as well so don't worry about it too much about it," Tim said. "Just make sure you're within ten feet of him, that way we have a clear transition."

"Loud and clear," Heiji said. "Anything else I need to know?"

"That's about it," Tim replied. "Now what do you say we get this thing going?"

"Agreed, I think we've delayed for long enough." Heiji said before turning to walk.

He came to a stop after only taking a few steps, turning back to face him for a final time.

"Almost forgot to ask, any idea what the layout of this place is like inside?"

"Haven't been in myself, but from the photos I looked over this morning I'd say it's pretty spaced out," Tim replied. "You should have plenty of room to operate with."

"Just what I was hoping for," Heiji said while turning away. "I'll see you soon."

"I'll be here."

With that he made his way to the side of the street, looking both ways before carefully making his way across. The figure from above could still be seen as he approached. He payed little mind to this, not wanting to bring any unwanted attention to himself. He stopped on his path soon after, turning to the right to see a stairwell leading down to another door besides the one sitting in front of him.

"Jefferson went down that way, that must be where their chest meet is being held."

Without giving it much thought he headed down the small set of stairs, coming to a stop after reaching the bottom. He could hear the voices bouncing across the room from the other side of the door as he lifted his hand, reaching forward with a hard and impenetrable knock. He took a step back, watching as the door slowly cracked open to reveal an imposing figure. He tilted his head downward, giving him a long hard look.

"And you are?"

"I'm here to meet with someone," Heiji replied. "I promissed a friend I'd play him and a couple of friends in a game of chess tonight."

"Card?"

"Of course," Heiji said with the shake of his head. "How could I forget."

He reached into his jacket from where it was stored, puling it out before handing it to the doorman who took the time to look it over. It wasn't long after that he gave him the nod, handing him the clearance card back.

"You're free to pass."

"Thanks." Heiji said before walking in past him.

Within the first moments of entering a strong scent drifted by, causing him to turn to the left to see someone standing in the far corner with a cigar in hand. He then looked to the other side to see a set of door beads hanging from the ceiling. Several voices could be heard coming from in that direction, prompting him to head that way. He entered another room after pushing past the beads, coming to find multiple tables set up throughout the large room.

"This place is more packed than I was expecting," Heiji said looking into the heart of the pack. "Now, where to find Jefferson."

He dropped his hands back into his pockets before stepping further into the room, keeping his eyes peeled as he began his search of the room. He checked to make sure the device beneath his collar was tightly in place, facing back up after doing so. He continued to look for the man in the suit of white, having a hard time sighting him with all those roaming about. Upon reaching the other end of the room he came to a halt, carefully scouring each side of the room. It wasn't until then that he felt a hand rest down to his right shoulder.

"Well speak of the devil, I was just talking about you."

He turned at the sound of their voice, coming to find an unfamiliar face.

"Have we met?"

"No, but I saw what went down at the city hall the other night," He said holding out a hand. "Allow me to introduce myself, Salomon Green."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Green." Heiji said shaking his hand in response.

"Like I said, I was just telling the guys about your talents," Salomon said. "It's not every day you get to witness something unfold like that, is it true you're a pro?"

"A pro?"

"Word is you're a top notch detective working for the GCPD."

"GCPD... I wonder what that stands for?"

"In any case, why don't you come have a seat with us," Salomon suggested. "I'll introduce you to the guys."

"Sure," Heiji accepted after giving it some thought. "I don't see why not."

"Now that's what I was hoping to hear, now if you would," Salomon said turning for the other side of the room. "Follow me."

He did as instructed, doing his best to remain at his side as they maneuvered around those standing amongst them.

"So tell me, how long have you been signed up here at the inn house," Salomon asked. "This is my first time seeing you around here."

"I registered three weeks ago, this is only my second time coming here," Heiji came up with after a slight pause. "It's not too often that I come to this side of town."

"Is that right."

Nothing further was said on the matter as they walked on. They came upon a large round table soon after, joining a group of men who were already seated. It took all but a few seconds for him to lock eyes with the man sitting at the left end of the table, freezing within the moment.

"And this is exactly what we didn't want."

"Salomon," The man from the far side of the table spoke. "Who is this with you?"

"He's the guy I was telling you about," Salomon replied before turning to him. "Heiji, right?"

"That'd be me."

"Why don't you have seat, we were just about to get started," He said with the tip of his hat. "Call me Eldelmon, Jefferson Eldelmon."

He took him up on his offer, finding an empty seat next to Salomon who sat next to him.

"Where's Tony," Jefferson asked looking their way once more. "He's been gone for minutes now."

"He went to take a smoke break, he should be here soon enough."

"They must be referring to the guy I came across in the other room."

The others that sat around the table were quietly. This came to his attention almost instantly, being the fact all others in the room were engaged in some kind of conversation. Things remained this way for seconds to come. It wasn't until the sound of his phone ringing from inside his jacket that called for any reaction. The conversation that ensued lasted all but a few moments, stashing the phone back into his pocket once finished.

"Who was that?"

"Norio Hue," Salomon replied. "The straight shot who arrived from Michigan just yesterday."

"What did he say?"

"He's come to terms as anticipated, we agreed we'd meet tomorrow to discuss payment for the extra utilities," Salomon answered. "Of course I'll still have to go over the latest details with our third party friend."

"You still have yet to introduce me." Jefferson said.

"I've been trying to set something up," Salomon stated. "He tends to keep a busy schedule from week to week, so it can make it difficult to get in touch with him."

He reached into his pocket after finishing his last line, pulling something out before sliding it across the table toward him.

"What's this?"

"His card," Salomon replied. "It's even got his number on the back if you wish to call him."

He gave the card an in depth look, flipping it from one side to the other to look over the front and back. He sat in silence, feeling as if they had forgotten about his presence.

"Sounds big," Heiji thought. "But what exactly is going on here?"

Within that moment he felt a ailing pain surge through his chest, feeling the card drop from his hand as he gripped his left side.

"Mr. Eldelmon, are you ok?" The man seated to the left of him asked in concern.

He held up his hand in response, taking a few seconds to collect himself before taking a deep breath.

"I'm fine, just a little chest pain." Jefferson said before sitting up from the table.

"Isn't that your second one this week," Salomon questioned. "I think it would benefit you if you went in for a check up."

"Forget it Green, I'll be fine." Jefferson said before stepping away. "I'll grab Tony on my way out."

Those who sat around the table opted to follow in his tracks.

"Where are you going?" Salomon asked.

"Out for a little ride," Jefferson replied. "The night's still young, I could use a breath of fresh air."

With that he made his way to the exit, with the others right behind. He was just about to do the same, looking down to face him one last time before doing so.

"Sorry about that, looks like there's been a change in plan," Salomon apologized. "Who knows, maybe I'll catch you the next  time you're here."

"I'll keep an eye out for you whenever I'm around." Heiji said.

"Perhaps we can get in a game of chess the next time," Salomon said before turning to the other side of the room. "Until then."

He turned in his seat to watch Eldelmon and the group of men with him heading out, catching Jefferson clutching the left side of his chest for a second time. He didn't know what to make of this, leaving him rather mute on the matter. He stood up from where he sat, taking notice of something across the table as he turned to head for the exit himself. It was at that point that he saw the card laying there.

"That's the card Salomon had given to Eldelmon," Heiji said making his way around the table. "He must have forgotten it on his rush out of here."

He reached down to grab it after reaching the other side of the table, slowly reeling it up to his eye level.

"Nothing has made much sense up until this point, let's see if this card can shed some much needed light on this whole ordeal."

He stared down at what was written on the front of the card, finding the name of something written in bold print along with a small image of what appeared to be a black bird in the top corner.

"Iceberg Lounge, interesting name for a business."

He then flipped it to the back to find a number across the bottom. That's not what caught his attention, but rather the name written directly in the center of the card.

"Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot.... he must be the guy Salomon was referring to," Heiji thought. "But who is he, and how does he tie into whatever it is they've got going on?"

He stared down at the card for moments to pass before finally stashing it away.

"I think it's about time to report in, there's a chance Drake might know something about this Iceberg Lounge," Heiji thought looking toward the exit across the room. "But more importantly, Oswald Cobblepot."

To Be Continued


Converting /tmp/phpR7yOpD to /dev/stdout