Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ When Pandora's Box Is Opened ❯ Rebuilding ( Chapter 86 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Eighty-six
Rebuilding
“Haha-ue's finally gone home, thank heavens,” Saguru sighed. He was looking far better-rested than he had in a very long time as he sat in Aoko's flat with Aoko and Akako, playing Mario Kart again. He was getting better, Aoko had to admit. With any luck, he'd be able to give Kaito a real run for his money once he was capable of playing again.
“Which is nice, because I find her disturbingly creepy,” Akako commented, sounding a little irritated.
“And if you find someone creepy…” Saguru deadpanned. Akako “accidentally” nearly hit him over the head with an overzealous swipe of the Wiimote.
“You've seen her, Akako-chan?” Aoko asked curiously.
“Saguru-kun kindly offered to let me stay in one of the numerous spare rooms in the Hakuba mansion,” Akako said. “Since my own burned when I left it.”
“Burning buildings seem to be contagious,” Aoko laughed. “Should I be letting you two into my house?”
“Speaking of the homeless, how are Kaito-kun and his mother doing?” Akako asked, waving her Wiimote of Death in Aoko's direction this time.
“Kaito's getting out by the end of the month, though he'll be on crutches for a while afterwards,” Aoko said, perking up a little. “Obachan's another matter- it'll be months until she leaves. I think Kaito'll be staying in one of the rooms over the Blue Parrot until his house is rebuilt, since it'll take a couple more months.”
“That's good,” Saguru said, then winced as a red shell hit him. “And that is not.”
“You should hold onto your banana skins, use them as shields rather than tossing them around like the Kaitou Kid in an unusually silly mood!” Akako laughed.
“Hey, it's nearly sunset,” Aoko noted, staring at the window and pausing the game.
“Indeed… is something happening tonight?” Saguru asked curiously.
“Oh, yes…” Akako remembered. “Isn't tonight…?”
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
“… So Hakuba Labs are workin' on the stuff Haibara's sendin' `em, an' you'll know when they finish `cause that's the day I walk in full size… `course, they won't let you have any for a bit, Haibara insisted they wait `til ya heal `cause it did ya enough damage, transformin' right after gettin' hurt th' last time…”
“Fabulous,” Shinichi sighed, prodding his injured shoulder with his good arm. “They're not letting me out of here until the end of the month, like Kuroba…”
“By the way, I'm going back to school tomorrow,” Ran said, “and I have been warned that the Shonen Tantei-Dan intend to ambush me afterwards and be brought to see you…”
“Oh, yeah…” Shinichi said thoughtfully. In the two days since… everything… he had forgotten entirely about Genta, Mitsuhiko and Ayumi.
“What're ya gonna tell `em?” Hattori asked, echoing Shinichi's thoughts. “Yer gonna hafta say goodbye…”
“I guess I'll feed them a line about returning to America,” Shinichi sighed. “I mean, after everything that's happened, would it be surprising if my parents insisted on getting me back?”
“Are you going to miss them?” Ran asked softly.
“I'm sure that I'll see them again if their obsession with detective work continues,” Shinichi said lightly. “Anyway… when you get your catch-up notes, can you lend them to me as well? I mean, I've missed about two years of schoolwork, even I'll be behind…”
“Soon as ya get that antidote, we gotta get back ta Osaka as well,” Kazuha reminded Heiji. “I called yer Otou-san yesterday ta reassure them that we're all alive, an' apparently the rumour at school's that we eloped…” Heiji choked, going even darker.
“Visiting hours are over,” a doctor called while walking past the room.
“Don't they normally hang around ta boot ya out when visitin' hours end?” Kazuha asked curiously.
“Erm, the thing is,” Ran said, red-faced, “the last time they tried that with me…”
“They know Ran doesn't leave until she's good and ready,” Shinichi sniggered.
“Does that say more about my temper or your ability to get yourself in trouble?” Ran shot back. Heiji licked his finger and drew a point on an imaginary scoreboard.
“Shouldn't we be leavin', though?” Kazuha asked worriedly.
“Hang around,” Shinichi said, “and open the window while you're at it.”
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
“What are you going to do, Ai-kun?” Agasa asked, watching the girl tap away at the laptop Hakuba had given her.
“I've pretty much finished this, Hattori-kun will be back to normal in no time,” she said, “and Kudo-kun as soon as he gets out…”
“And you, Miyano Shiho?”
Ai glanced over in surprise to see Jodie hobbling in with a dark-haired man she faintly remembered seeing at the fight, with piercing golden eyes. “Jodie-sensei… and…?”
“Akai Shuuichi,” he said quietly. “FBI. I once infiltrated the Organization as Hondo-san did, under the name Moroboshi Dai… codenamed Rye.”
Ai gasped at the familiar name.
His name's Moroboshi Dai. He's quite high up, he's got an alcohol codename like you… He's a little distant, but he's so…” a blush. “I think I'll be safe with him. I'll bring him here to meet you, someday, if I can get clearance to bring him here… but don't worry, all right?
“You… were oneechan's…” Ai whispered, feeling the blood drain from her face.
“I'm sorry,” Akai said, looking down. “It was because they found out about me that Akemi…” he swallowed, looking more emotional than usual. Jodie looked away.
“… that they killed her,” he finished quietly. “By the time I found out…”
Ai stared at him, unsure what to think. This was her beloved sister's boyfriend, but it was his duplicity that…
“No,” she said quietly, remembering her mother's voice. “They… they always suspected Akemi. I think… you were an excuse, not a reason. They would have found one, sooner or later. I… I don't think Oneechan would want you to blame yourself, Akai-san…” she looked up at him. “She told me about you. The time you two were together was the happiest I'd ever seen her for… a long time… she didn't look scared or lonely. You made her happy. I know…”
“I still feel guilty for her, though,” Akai said. “Like I owe her something. That's why I want to know.” He looked her straight in the eye. “Do you intend to take the antidote?”
“What?” Jodie asked in surprise.
“But I thought you wanted to get back to normal, surely?” Agasa asked, confused.
“I did, once,” Ai said, staring at the chemical calculations unseeingly. “But…”
“You don't want to take it, do you,” Akai said softly. Ai gave a wry little grin. She imagined that Akemi had told him as much about her as she had told Ai about him… he seemed to know her answers before she gave them.
“I don't really have anything… or anyone… to go back to as Miyano Shiho,” she admitted softly. “Haibara Ai… has friends, family, future, a chance to start over… it's too late for Miyano Shiho. I'll never forget my sister, but… what good would it do me to go back to that life?”
“You're going to stay as a child?” Jodie asked in surprise.
“I can understand why, I suppose,” Agasa said thoughtfully. “It's true… in fact, as Miyano Shiho, you could well be convicted as a member of the Organization. You intend to start over as Haibara Ai?”
“Yeah,” Ai said, then laughed softly. “After all, the Shonen Tantei-Dan ought not to lose both their star members, right?”
“I see…” Jodie said, then smiled. “That's why we wanted to ask you something, Ai-kun.”
“Yeah?” Ai asked curiously.
“You're getting out of here before Agasa-Hakase and long before the lab is rebuilt,” Akai explained. “I'm staying in Japan for a while… maybe longer… with Jodie…” his fingers intertwined with her briefly. “Would you like to stay with us until Agasa-Hakase gets out? I just… can't feel like I can lay Akemi to rest until I see to your safety and happiness, I suppose. She worried about you a lot…”
“A… arigato,” Ai said, suddenly choked at the thought of her sister. “Oneechan… It's over now… please, be at peace…
“Isn't that wonderful, Ai-kun?” Agasa said, beaming. “You have friends… a loving oneechan… two people who look happy to be your parental figures…” he indicated Akai and the slightly blushing Jodie. “… and I'll always be your great-uncle, of course.”
Ai gulped again, the choked sensation transforming into tears. Never had she imagined having anyone but her sister, being loved… but the pain was that in finally having friends and family, she had to lose her sister.
“A… Ari…” she gasped, before collapsing into tears entirely. A second later, Jodie sat down next to her, hugging her close.
“Everyone deserves to be loved,” she said softly. “No lost little girl should ever be alone…”
“Wow…” Akai said, staring out of the dark window. “Look.”
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
“You're leaving the CIA, oneesan?” Eisuke said in surprise.
“I can't do another job like that, Ei-chan,” Hidemi said softly. “I just can't. I still haven't made amends with my conscience for this one. Maybe I'll go back someday, but for now… I liked being a TV presenter, maybe I'll return to that. Besides…” she clutched his hand. “You're the only family I have left, Ei-chan. It's long past time we were together again… as a family…”
“Yeah,” Eisuke said quietly. “Then I can move back to Japan… I can transfer back to Teitan High, I can see my friends again…” he brightened up at that thought, grinning happily.
“I'm sorry you had to leave because of me, Ei-chan,” Hidemi said guiltily.
“It's all right,” Eisuke said quickly. “I don't mind. It's better than you getting killed, after all…”
“Yeah,” she said quietly, and he knew that she was thinking of their father. “I think… he'd be really proud of you, you know. For finishing it. I mean…”
“It wasn't really me…” Hidemi said uncertainly.
“I got to see Ran-san today,” Eisuke said. “I ran into her in the hallway and we talked… she told me what she'd learned, how much you did, how you helped Akai-san hide… how you fought in the end even though it nearly killed you…”
“It was all or nothing,” Hidemi said with a wry grin. “Fight or die…”
“But still, deceiving them so well, for so long… that was really brave, oneesan!” Eisuke cried. “Don't pretend that it wasn't…” He frowned at her. “Do you… feel bad about what you had to do?”
“Of course,” Hidemi said. “I know it was all for the greater good, but… I did terrible things to win Gin's trust, Ei-chan. Maybe someday… I'll be able to speak about them. But now, I just can't…”
“It's all right, Oneesan,” Eisuke said quietly. “I'm not letting you leave again anytime soon, after all…” he gave her a grin this time, and Hidemi had to laugh.
“Yeah…” she stared out of the window, at the twinkling stars. “It's over, Otou-san… I kept fighting…”
Then the stars were obliterated by another light.
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
“­How long were you keeping that secret?”
“I thought it the kind of thing that it was better not to broadcast.”
“I am your wife, Yuusaku!”
“And you would have been constantly terrified if I had told you, don't pretend you wouldn't have been. I didn't want you to have to live with that fear too… certainly not Shinichi.” Yuusaku wiped an angry tear out of Yukiko's eye. He at least looked ashamed of himself, calm though his tone was.
“And Toichi-san?” she demanded.
“He swore me to secrecy,” Yuusaku said with a shrug. “I thought it a little indelicate to bring up after his funeral- “by the way, he was one of the world's most wanted criminals”- and then… well, a chance never came up.”
“All right,” Yukiko said, a petulant scowl on her pretty face. “I suppose I can forgive you, since karma maimed you-”
“-Looked more like a bookcase-”
“-and isn't the irony of that fun,” Yukiko finished. “But if there are any other secrets that you're keeping… like a doomsday device in the basement… I want to know now.
“Speaking of which…” Yuusaku began. Yukiko's jaw dropped. “Joking!” he laughed. She scowled again and slapped him on the arm.
Yuu-chan!” she complained. He took the return of the “chan” to be a good sign.
“Never mind,” he chuckled. “Look, it's dark out…”
It was just as Yukiko turned to the window that a burning streak lit the sky.
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
“Look, Kaa-san,” Kaito said gently, staring out of the window. “The Pandora.”
The comet streaked across the sky, its light bright enough to obliterate all of the stars. It glowed slightly red- calling for its lost jewel.
“Watch carefully,” Kaito said, raising his card gun. “If that thing drops anything else, so help me I'm going to blast it out of the sky…”
Minami giggled gently, the sound slightly harsher due to her not-quite-mended ribs fractures. Then they sat in silence, watching the Pandora streak across the sky, streaks of light trailing behind it like dripping tears. Faced with the terrible beauty of something which, ten thousand years ago, had lit such a bloody path, all who looked upon it, broken families mending, lonely children finding love, lovers reunited at last, all shared the same thought:
“Thank fuck that's over.”
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
Hajimemashite, ChrissyViolet! I'm flattered that you're devoting so much time to getting through the fic so fast, but do get your homework done, I would feel so guilty if you failed XD
Just the little chats and fluff, FHP2208, and, yeah, the “heist” XD Come on, Shiratori-keibu, win her back!
I so want to see, KSA Key-chan XD all the reunions and happiness… ^_^
I have plenty of DC fics backed up, Mel72000 ^_- Have a look in “The Back Burner” on my profile, though I think I've decided my next ones- A Phantom Thief and Forgotten But Unforgiven.
Not quite yet, Yuki Taiki. A few loose ends to tie up…
Soon, KageNoNeko XDXD
I tried to depart from common themes here, MimzSilver, or do them differently… I'm so glad you love it so much ^_^ It was a total accident that I found out about Eta Carinae, but once I did it stuck in my brain… I love Akako, so I like to write her in big. She needs to be bigger in canon, too. And I realized about chapter 80 that I'd totally forgotten Eisuke… but thankfully he can come back for his sister! He's got a bigger part in my next two fics, don't worry ^_^
Too EARLY, Pretztailfan95? At chapter 85? XD Was it that cheesy? XD CHEESY MARSHMALLOW FLUFF! XDXD actually, that sounds kinda revolting…. XDXD Dou Itashimate, Pretz-chan! <3
Kobayashi Sumiko, Marie Ravenclaw… she's sort of peripheral until around about the chapter where she organizes an interview with the Shonen Tantei-Dan and the interviewer gets murdered. She's been showing up a lot since she and Shiratori got a thing for each other XD No more death, plenty of fluff ^_-
That would be so awesome, Sunny Lighter XDXD
That probably helped, yeah, StargateNerd XD They're not getting away now!
Lost on me, sorry, Suutashi XD Arigatou Gozaimasu! ^_^
There will be antidote, DiGi ^_- *passes tissues* oh, and welcome to the KaiShin Army! ALL HAIL! XD
Certainly feels like I've been posting it forever, Desperatembrace XD I'm glad you love it so much! If it's touched you then I've written it well ^_^
Happy endings a must, Silver Shadowbreeze ^_- sequel? At the moment I'm working on separate universes, but I might someday… there's not a lot major left after this, though… ^_^;
I do not claim to own any of the characters in Meitantei Conan. They are the intellectual property of Aoyama Gosho. All characters, couples and locations, if Canon, will be faithful to the manga, so if you're into fics with weird pairings like Shinichi and Heiji, the back button is at the top there. The fic may not make sense if you have not read up to chapter 698, which you can do at a site called (read between the lines) O/n/e/ma/n/g/a, but I advise you to buy the official Tankoban novels (up to volume 30 are out in English at the time of writing) so that Aoyama-sensei can afford to continue gracing us with his imagination. Now, I hope you enjoy the fic! (If you don't, please see my previous comments re the back button).