Clamp School Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Nokoru's First Love ❯ Will they meet again? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: Chapter 1 goes up! This is chapter 2. As usual, italicized words refer to flashbacks, thoughts and note wordings. Nokoru gets a little poetic in this chapter. Any OOC-ness is regretted. I'll try to get the chapters up, that is if I can still remember the episodes. Since Marineangemon is off to the washroom, here's the disclaimer.
 
Disclaimers: I do not own anything, except for this pathetic plot.
 
SailorStar9: And many thanks to the following reviewer.
 
Faith Tomoe Maxwell: (Cracks up) Good luck with your annoying muses! (Turns serious) Erm, you do know who Idomu is, right?
 
Chapter 2: Will they meet again?
 
***************************************************************** ***************************
 
After exiting from the rijichou's office, Mizuno Ami went automatically to the library.
 
The library attendant looked quizzingly at the girl, before recognizing her.
 
“Mizuno-san, you're back!” she exclaimed.
 
The blue-haired genius nodded.
 
“Back to your old section?” the attendant asked.
 
Ami nodded and she was off into the medical section of the library less than a minute later.
 
The library structure was still the same, nothing changed. Ami had been to the library so many times in the past that she could walk to her favorite section blindfolded.
 
Finally selecting a book, a medical journal to be exact, Ami settled down on a chair and started reading.
 
Almost an hour later, Ami bookmarked the page she had stopped and headed off towards the library counter.
 
Upon seeing her selection, the librarian on duty gave the girl a bewildered look, before signing out the book.
 
Muttering her thanks, Mizuno Ami stepped out of her safe haven and headed for class.
 
Quite unfortunately, Imonoyama Nokoru had stepped into the library minutes after Ami left, inquiring about the girl herself.
 
The female librarian blushed when she saw the Chairman of the Elementary Division, but was slightly disappointed when he posted his question.
 
Replying that the girl in question had left only minutes ago, the librarian was stunned when
 
Nokoru disappeared seconds later.
 
While running, Nokoru frowned. Ami-chan, where are you? He thought frantically.
 
Suddenly, he bumped into something.
 
“Kaichou…” Suoh growled lowly.
 
Or rather someone.
 
Oops. Was Nokoru's thought.
 
Dragging him by the collar, Takamura Suoh pulled Imonoyama Nokoru back to the office.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
Two hours later, Mizuno Ami stepped out of her classroom.
 
Lessons in Clamp Campus were very different from those in other schools.
 
Opening her locker, she was surprised when a note and a white rose fell out from the quite-empty cabinet.
 
Opening it up, she blinked at the words written.
 
Other males said they've seen angels,
But I've seen thou
And thou art enough
 
Signed You-know-who
 
Ami's mouth lit up a small smile. Typical Nokoru. She thought.
 
Carefully tucking the note in her folder, Mizuno Ami walked out of the school. Turning south-west, she headed towards a lake.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
Meanwhile, Nokoru was still in his office, stamping letters for the last two hours, obediently as a matter-of-fact.
 
“Takamura-sempai, is something wrong with Kaichou?” Akira asked, whispering across to Suoh.
 
The ninja thought for a moment and nodded in agreement.
 
Normally, the Kaichou would give some excuse to slag off work. But ever since he had pulled him back, the blonde Chairman had been uncharacteristically dutiful.
 
“You're right, Akira. Something is definitely wrong.” Suoh agreed.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
Almost four hours later, the sun had begun to set, giving the clouds a beautiful cloak of red, orange and yellow.
 
Shutting her book, Mizuno Ami looked up at the rays of sunlight streaming between the trees.
 
Noting the time, the blue-haired genius pushed herself up and headed out of the thicket.
 
Taking one last look at the campus, she headed back home.
 
Gomen ne, Nokoru-kun, demo I promised. Was her last thought, before she headed back to her mansion.
 
A voice and an “Ami-chan.” Stopped the girl in her tracks. A voice she knew all too well.
 
Resisting the longing to turn around to face him, Mizuno Ami took a deep breath, clutched her hands into fists and swiftly ran off, tears threatening to fall. She knew she had to, for she had promised the rijichou
 
Looking at her retreating back, Nokoru wanted to call out to her, but stopped himself. Even Imonoyama Nokoru was not sure if that girl was Mizuno Ami.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
Once she stepped foot into the mansion, the girl was immediately greeted by her servants.
 
Taking her book-bag, the butler asked, “Do you need anything else, young mistress?”
 
“Not for now, Harold.” Ami replied curtly.
 
“I understand, young mistress.” The aging butler answered, and retreated.
 
“A tough day, young mistress?” a maid-servant asked, removing Ami's coat.
 
Ami sighed and nodded.
 
“Indeed, Emily.” She replied, tiredly.
 
“Then, I suggest that you turn in early, young mistress.” the maid-servant said.
 
Ami nodded in acknowledgement.
 
“Thank you Emily.” She whispered.
 
The maid-servant bowed and left the room, shutting the door behind her.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
The next day, Mizuno Ami woke up early as usual and was out of the mansion two hours before school started.
 
Heading back to the lake, she pulled out the book she had borrowed the previous day and continued her reading.
 
About two hours later, she got up and headed out of the thicket.
 
Quite unfortunately for Nokoru, he had entered the thicket only minutes after she had exited, missing the blue-haired girl.
 
The school bell rang and Nokoru had to head back to the main office.
 
Watching from the clock tower, the rijichou gave a regretful smile.
 
Forgive me, my son. Demo, now isn't the time for the two of you to meet.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
Two hours later, Akira walked into the Council office and sighed.
 
Noting his upset look, Suoh asked his junior, “Daijoubo desu ka, Akira?”
 
Akira did not answer, only to sigh some more.
 
Minutes later, the black-haired fourth-grader finally answered, “There's a girl who's keeping in par with me academically.”
 
“Does she go by the name of Mizuno Ami?” Nokoru questioned, from his position on the chairman's table.
 
Akira looked surprised and nodded vigorously.
 
“Sugoi, Kaichou even knows the new student's name!” the fourth-grader exclaimed, with
stars in his eyes.
 
“It's because she happens to be Kaichou's very first friend.” Suoh answered.
 
Kawaii question marks appeared all over a puzzled and extremely confused Akira.
 
“Suoh, that was unwarranted.” Nokoru protested, a slight blush appearing on his cheeks.
 
“Gomen nasi, Kaichou.” The ever-serious ninja apologized, before returning to his post, a slight smirk gracing his face.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
After class was over, Ami was retrieving her book-bag from her quite-empty locker, when another note and a single white rose fell out.
 
Never frown because you never know
When someone is falling
In love with your smile
 
Signed You-Know-Who
 
How did he know? Ami mentally exclaimed.
 
Growling slightly, she muttered threateningly, “You'd better not be stalking me, Nokoru-kun, or else.”
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
In the Clamp Elementary Council room, Imonoyama Nokoru sneezed.
 
Suoh looked up at his Kaichou in concern.
 
The blonde chairman shook his head.
 
“I'm alright, Suoh.” He replied, answering the ninja's unasked question.
 
Akira pointed out, “Then, someone must be talking about you.”
 
Nokoru nodded in agreement.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
Meanwhile, in some dark corner of the Universe, an eerie voice said, smirking, “So the little ice hime doesn't remember.”
 
“She doesn't, milord.” A minion answered.
 
The dark lord's smirk went up a notch, “Very good. Set forth to Earth.”
 
The minion bowed and retreated.
 
“Soon, very soon, both you and the Dragon Harp will be mine, my little Dragon Mistress.” The dark lord laughed.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
Three hours later, Ami had arrived at a sacred shrine.
 
Bowing to the shrine priestess, the blue-haired girl entered the mediation room.
 
In the midst of her mediation, a very deliberate harp, small enough to fit into her palm, appeared in front her.
 
It was made of a crystal, unknown to mankind. Crafted exquisitely in the form of a resting dragon, the harp settled itself on her lap.
 
Ami opened her eyes, and fingered the harp inquisitively.
 
A flood of memories rushed into her mind.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
Flashback
 
Princess Amelia of Mercury was standing in front on a giant dragon statue.
 
Princess Mercury, you've proven thou worthy of being our mistress. Me and my clan of dragons are henceforth under your command.” The statue announced, his voice booming.
 
After that, the ice hime was whisked away in a shower of sakura blossoms.
 
End of Flashback
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
Ami gasped in surprise as she shook herself out of the memory. The harp itself had disappeared.
 
“Nande?” she questioned softly to herself.
 
“I knew I'll find you here, Mizuno-sensei.” A chiding voice sounded behind her.
 
Ami smiled and turned around.
 
“As it will seem so, Utako-san.”
 
The Kaichou of the Kindergarten Student Council looked slightly ticked off with blue-haired girl.
 
Standing up, Ami walked towards the younger girl. Another head popped out from beside Utako Ohkawa.
 
It's time for our practice, Mizuno-sempai.” Nagisa Azuya reminded the girl.
 
Ami nodded slightly, and went off with the two girls.
 
“Any progress with Ijyuin-san?” Ami suddenly asked, causing Utako to blush.
 
“Wha… what do you mean?” the kindergartner stammered.
 
The older girl smiled good-naturedly.
 
“You know what I mean, Utako-san.”
 
The sentence turned the younger girl in deeper flusters.
 
Upon arrival to the music room of the Kindergarten sector, Nagisa sat on a chair.
 
Placing herself on a chair behind the harp, Ami strummed one of the strings. Frowning slightly, she stood up and turned a tuning peg.
 
Plucking the string once more, Ami smiled when the tune turned out perfect.
 
“Nagisa-san, we may begin.” The older girl said.
 
The lilac-haired girl nodded and the duet begun.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
Half an hour later, the duo was done with the first half of their concert pieces.
 
Utako beamed brightly and clapped appreciatively.
 
The two players turned to their single audience and bowed slightly.
 
“Nagisa-san, shall we have a break before we continue?” Ami suggested.
 
The young flutist nodded.
 
Both standing up, the two players replaced their instruments and followed Utako outside.
 
Ten minutes later, the trio was seated outside a small café, sipping tea.
 
“Ah, Earl English, my favorite.” Ami announced, after her umpteenth sip.
 
“I always preferred fruit teas.” Utako commented.
 
“Due to Ijyuin-san's influence, no doubt.” Ami teased.
 
“Mizuno-sensei.” Utako protested.
 
Nagisa chuckled softly.
 
“Nagisa!” Utako exclaimed.
 
Just then, Nagisa got up and apologized, “Excuse me, I need to use the bathroom.”
 
Ami nodded in acknowledgement and the flutist went off.
 
“I knew I'll find you here, my dearest duchess.” A sickeningly sweet voice said.
 
Ami frowned, “I had not expected you to follow me back to Japan, Takasa-san.” She spat.
 
“Anything for you, my sweet.” The ever-persistent Takasa Higato replied in a sweet voice.
 
Turning to a puzzle Utako, Ami said sternly, “Utako-san, fetch Nagisa-san from the bathroom and head back to the music hall. I'll meet up with the both of you later.”
 
The younger girl nodded and took off.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
Meanwhile, Nokoru was running at top speed towards Ami's general direction as his `damsel-in-distress' signal went on high alert minutes earlier. Both Suoh and Akira were hot
on their Kaichou's heels.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
After dismissing the two younger girls, Ami stood up and turning slowly to face the very insistent Higato Takasa.
 
Frowning deeply, which caused ebony-haired boy to step away slightly, Ami replied coldly,
 
“You're not wanted here, Takasa-san. It'll be better for you if you return to Germany.”
 
“And leave you here, my sweet?” Takasa asked smoothly.
 
Ami's frown deepened some more, “I said, leave.” She hissed dangerously.
 
At the last comment, Takasa snapped.
 
Turning crude, he grabbed Ami's wrist and pulled her to him.
 
“Listen carefully Mizuno, no one is allowed to deny me of what I want, you got me?” he growled.
 
“Let me go, or do you want me to pull rank, Higato?” Ami returned just as dangerously.
 
Glaring at him, she pulled out an amulet and continued, “ I have the embalm of the Duchess of Augsburg, Higato. Do you dare to defy your mistress's orders?”
 
Eyes widening at the coiled shell that had the Augsburg symbol craved on it, Takasa Higato immediately knelt down.
 
“Of course not, my mistress.” He replied, spitting the last two words out.
 
“I don't think that's the proper way to answer your `betters', Higato-san.” A gallant voice sounded behind the duo.
 
The fifth-grader stood up and glared at the intruder.
 
“Arigato for the timely intrusion, Imonoyama-sempai, although it was rather unnecessary.”
Ami answered, while glaring at Takasa Higato.
 
Finally, she declared sternly to the fifth-grader, “I want you out Clamp campus by tomorrow, is that clear?”
 
Controlling his anger, Takasa Higato nodded rather reluctantly. Then, huffing, he walked off.
 
The two friends stood across each other, finally gazing into the other's eyes for the very first time in three years.
 
“Kaichou!” Suoh called out, finally catching up with Nokoru. Akira was beside the ninja, stopping.
 
Taking the chance of Nokoru's temporary distraction, Ami slipped off into the crowd.
 
Losing sight of the mysterious girl whom reminded him so much about his Ami-chan,
 
Nokoru sighed and turned to face Suoh.
 
“Was that her?” the fifth-grader asked.
 
Nokoru nodded, “I wasn't sure before, but now I am. The hair color and the eyes were a dead giveaway.”
 
Suoh nodded.
 
“Hey, what's this?” Akira exclaimed, picking up a piece of paper Ami had left on the table.
 
Upon reading the words, Konnichiwa Imonoyama-sempai, Akira knew whom the note was for and handed it to Nokoru.
 
Nokoru blinked when he read the first words of greeting and winced mentally.
 
Since when did we get so informal, Ami-chan? He thought.
 
Konnichiwa Imonoyama-sempai, I knew of your recent, ahem, bet with Kyogoku Midoriko-san. Just a little piece of advice from an old friend: What you seek can be both tangible and intangible.
 
P.S. Although I really appreciate your recent poems, I strongly suggest you refrain from sending any from this day onwards.
 
P.P.S.: I know you've been stalking me for the past two days. If I ever catch you, please be made aware that I'll ignore you for the rest of the school year.
 
“Ouch.” Suoh muttered, seeing Nokoru's pained expression.
 
Nokoru nodded, despite himself.
 
“Ami-chan never jokes.” He said, sighing.
 
“Wow, a girl who is immune to Kaichou.” Akira commented, coming up to the duo.
 
“Akira, the two of them grew up together. Of course, she'll be immune.” Suoh death-panned.
 
The fourth-grader nodded in understanding.
 
Quirking a brow at the Kaichou, Suoh questioned harshly, “Poems?”
 
Nokoru sweated.
 
Akira, on the other hand, squealed, “Sugoi, it's so romantic! Writing poems for a childhood friend.”
 
Suoh pressed, “Are you sure you aren't falling for her?”
 
Taken by surprise, Nokoru blinked and blushed slightly.
 
Noting his blush, Suoh smirked knowingly.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
“How are the plans for the Elementary Ball?” Suoh asked, hours later.
 
Looking up and down at the huge stack of papers on his desk, Nokoru answered, “Doing very well, in fact.”
 
“Mizuno-san's information can be very vague.” The ninja commented.
 
Nokoru thought for a moment and pulled out the note.
 
“What I seek is both tangible and intangible?” he repeated, thinking.
 
Idly turning his chair 360-degrees, Nokoru's eyes widened as he saw Kyogoku Midoriko tending to the garden just right below. (A/N: Since I'm typing this fic from memory of the Clamp Campus Detective episodes, I'm hoping I got the name right.)
 
Smiling, he knew where Midoriko's `gift' was.
 
And intangible is right. Kyogoku-san's garden is an unexpected, but welcome, addition to the Campus' beauty. Arigato Ami-chan. He thought, finally understanding what her sentence meant.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
That evening, Nokoru was examining the small garden for Kyogoku Midoriko's gift. It was pouring heavily and he had rejected both Suoh and Akira's help, keeping his promise to
Kyogoku Midoriko about not having any friends helping.
 
Mizuno Ami was standing silently on the campus entrance, watching him.
 
A shuffle of footsteps informed her that Harold had arrived.
 
“The weather is quite unpredictable, young mistress.” The aged butler commented, shaking off the rainwater.
 
“Indeed.” Ami agreed absentmindedly.
 
Following her look, Harold frowned at the young blonde who was rummaging through the small garden plot.
 
“You worry about the young Imonoyama.” He noted wisely.
 
Ami blinked and looked up at the butler. Blushing slightly, she nodded.
 
Finally, Nokoru stood up, a satisfied smile on his face. In his hand, he held a small gift box, wrapped up nicely. Then, suddenly, he staggered a little, as his body threatened to give way.
 
Eyes widening in utter worry, Ami ignored the pouring rain and ran towards to almost-fainting Imonoyama Nokoru. Harold was close behind his young mistress.
 
Catching him, Ami gently lowered to the ground, with Harold holding an umbrella above her, sheltering the two of them.
 
Turning to Harold, Ami's eyes shined pleadingly.
 
Nodding, the aged butler removed the unconscious Imonoyama Nokoru from his mistress's hands and piggybacked the sixth-grader back to the mansion, with Ami holding the umbrella.
 
Once back in the mansion, Ami immediately started giving instructions. Before long, Imonoyama Nokoru was stripped of his wet uniform, dressed in comfortable house clothes.
 
Almost two hours later, Ami settled beside Nokoru, who was lying on the couch, still pretty dead to the world.
 
Wringing a white towel from the hot water bowl on the lamp-stand, the future doctor placed the damp cloth on his forehead. Then, she stayed there, falling asleep half an hour later.
 
The next morning, Ami woke up, rubbing sleep off her eyes. Looking down, she found that Nokoru was still unconscious.
 
Smiling wistfully, the girl picked herself up and headed off to school.
 
Two hours later, Nokoru woke up, to find himself in unfamiliar surroundings.
 
“I see you're up.” A fatherly voice sounded beside him.
 
Nokoru turned to face an elderly butler.
 
“Where am I?” the sixth-grader asked.
 
“You're in the mansion belonging to the young Duchess of Augsburg.” Harold answered.
 
“The young mistress has been pretty worried about you, Imonoyama-san.” He added.
 
His brow disappeared in his fridge as Nokoru inquired, “Young mistress?”
 
Harold chuckled, before answering, “It isn't wise to pry, young one, for our mistress has instructed us not to answer.”
 
Nokoru nodded.
 
The laundry-maid then passed Nokoru his dried uniform.
 
The blonde nodded and went off to change.
 
***************************************************************** *******************************
 
SailorStar9: How was that? Oh yeah, I'll most probably be adding some Silver Millennium memories in the next chapter.