Clamp School Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Nokoru's First Love ❯ The Imonoyama Celebratory Reception ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: Chapter 10 is up. This is Chapter 11. I'm skipping quite a few episodes since I can't put Ami in those episodes anywhere. Anyway, this chapter isn't from the anime itself. Read and review.
 
Words in italics refer to thoughts and flashbacks.
 
Disclaimers: Why do I have to say this every darn time? I own not the legal rights of Sailor Moon or CLAMP Campus Detectives.
 
Chapter Summary: Upon the Rijichou request, Ami was invited to the Imonoyama Celebratory Reception where she was to be introduced to the rest of the Imonoyama family as Nokoru's life partner. However, one Higato Takasa and a certain someone are not pleased with our beloved couple and plot to split them up.
 
Chapter 11: The Imonoyama Celebratory Reception
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
“What did I do to deserve this?” Ami muttered, despite herself.
 
“Complaining won't get you anywhere Ami-chan. You do know that the Rijichou is expecting you to smile at tonight's dinner.” Nokoru pointed out.
 
Right now, the pair was in Ami's assigned room in the main Imonoyama mansion; no scratch that, castle, with a dress spread out on the king-sized bed
 
“But still…” Ami protested.
 
“Nokoru-kun, you know that I don't like to be the center of attention. And with this dress the Rijichou provided…” she objected.
 
“Ami-chan please for me, love. Don't make me beg.” Nokoru pleaded.
 
Ami sighed and kissed his cheek, “Fine.”
 
Nokoru returned her kiss and stepped out to allow his beloved water nymph to dress.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
Nokoru sighed as he shut the door. He hated these kinds of fancy parties. As a boy, his Okaa-san had forced him to attend since he was one of the Imonoyama's heirs. He had to know who was who and why family politics worked the way it did. He had to learn his family little intrigues to use them to his advantage. This particular social gathering was no different than the others had been. His Okaa-san aka the Rijichou was planning to drag him from important Foundation member to member when Ami arrived, to help him build ties for the future and to introduce Ami as an important future part to the Foundation.
 
To make matters worse he could see his cousin, Higato Takasa, hovering around the edges of the vast Reception Hall. Yes cousin. You see, Takasa was related to the Imonoyama family, his father having married one of the Rijichou's second cousins.
 
The blonde kept a clandestine eye on him, watching him stalk the room, always returning to the door as if waiting. It did not take a genius to wonder who he was waiting for. Given the first opportunity, Nokoru knew the gray-eyed boy would cause trouble.
 
And then there was that girl with the deep sienna eyes. Try as he might to ignore her and look the other way, she would always appear in his line of sight. It was very annoying, but he knew that if he showed her any kind of attention, she would no doubt see it as an invitation for something more. If she was so willing to do everything possible to get noticed by him then there was no mistaking her intentions either. He sighed and brushed that matter from his mind like the tiny fleck of lint he brushed from his sleeve.
 
“Ease up kiddo.” A concerned voice told him.
 
“I'll be fine.” Nokoru smiled at his elder brother.
 
“You don't look fine.” Imonoyama Keiichi chided his youngest brother.
 
Tense moments ticked by and a silent creak of a door opening snapped Nokoru out of his musings.
 
His eyes widened as he felt his mouth go dry at the vision presented to him.
 
The dress the Rijichou had given Ami was a watery blue with lily and leaf patterns imbedded in it that remained invisible to the eye until the light hit them at just the right angle. Her throat, from midway up her neck, was covered from sight by the shimmering material. Both smooth shoulders and slender arms were left bare. The dress seemed to hug every delicate line perfectly, falling straight about her legs, twin slits running from hem to hip to subtly reveal smooth, bare legs. A deep blush of embarrassment tinted her cheeks when she realized that Nokoru's silence was how he showed his appreciation.
 
“Just when I thought you couldn't possibly get more beautiful, you just have to go and prove me wrong. Remind me to thank the Rijichou for this.” he told her with a tender smile, taking her hands in his.
 
This caused her blush to deepen, a shy grin adorning her lips, before becoming playfully seductive. “And you are more regally handsome than ever, my dear Nokoru.” she told him as her eyes gave him an appreciative once over.
 
He wore white in the form of crisply pressed tuxedo pants and a solid satin shirt. He suddenly tugged her closer, gently warming her lips with his own in a lingering embrace. A thrilled shiver raced up along Ami's spine at how bold and tender he was.
 
She vaguely heard the surprised gasps from the rest of the Imonoyama Foundation and somewhere, the delighted squeals of Nokoru's elder sisters. But she paid no attention to them; her mind was occupied by the thousands of pleasant sensations assaulting her senses. His very familiar scent filled her nostrils as he kissed her so tenderly it was heart aching.
 
Nokoru chuckled at his sisters' enthusiasm as he released her lips.
 
“Why do I get this feeling that the Rijichou has this set up?” Ami inquired.
 
Nokoru grinned, “No doubt that's the case, but hey who's complaining?”
“Mesuinu, for one.” she giggled.
“And Higato.” He frowned. “Who's Mesuinu?”
She smiled, nodding her head to the sienna-eyed girl, “Your Cousin.”
“How is it you know her name?” he teased.
“Oh I have my ways.” Ami replied.
“We've been keeping an eye on her specifically. Okaa-san heard things and she doesn't trust her. Mesuinu… She's dangerous.” One of Nokoru's sisters, Iria replied, coming to the couple.
 
“Sister Iria…” Nokoru blinked at his elder sister, the fourth in the family line.
 
“And of course Aria and her tape recorder.” Iria grinned at her younger sister, the second youngest of the Imonoyama siblings.
 
Nokoru sighed, “Her camera is her drug and she's addicted to it beyond all hope.”
 
The two ladies giggled at his proclaim as the mentioned teen glared playfully at them.
 
“Don't forget, I have that kiss recorded little brother.” She teased.
 
“Nee-san!” Nokoru chided.
 
This got Ami to giggle harder. Nokoru looked at his chosen life partner and smiled. He could joke about his sister's camera addiction, but he too was addicted; addicted to the mortal goddess standing at his side.
 
“Hello dreamer.” Iria teased her younger brother, causing Nokoru to snap out of his musings.
 
“What?” Nokoru blinked.
Iria merely smirked playfully. “Caught you red handed in a deep contemplation, little bro.”
Nokoru smirked as well, his arm slipping around his life partner's slim waist. “Yes, a very lovely visual contemplation.”
Iria chuckled as Ami's bashful blush deepened at his prideful proclaim.
Iria could see that her brother's frivolous ways had sobered due to the girl beside him. Nokoru was now a lot more serious with his Council work, if Takamura Suoh's reports were to be held true.
 
“Now, let's get you two downstairs.” She remarked, guiding the pair down to the reception hall.
 
The mutterings of the Imonoyama Foundation members were immediately hushed when the couple entered the Reception Hall.
 
Ami's flush returned in full force as she found herself in the middle of everyone's attention. It did not help any when Nokoru took this opportunity to place a gentle kiss on her cheek.
 
She blushed furiously, her eyes wandering around the Reception Hall. There were a few young children running around between the adults, but already the attendants and nannies were busy gathering then up to take them off to bed. Some of the youngsters protested a bit, but the rest went quietly.
 
A little girl suddenly broke away from the group of children, being herded towards the exit, and ran up to the Card Captors. She could not have been much older than two years, her chubby little legs carrying her across the room with amazing speed. Barely slowing her momentum, no doubt unable to, the child latched her plump arms around Ami's thigh, holding on for dear life as she squealed in delight. The azure-haired girl yelped in surprise, then smiled down at the tiny cherub.
 
“Hello. Where did you come from?”
 
The child giggled at the attention and held her arms up to the girl. “Up!” she demanded adorably.
 
Ami giggled, “Yes princess.” and she lifted her up in her arms.
Most of those standing near the young couple turned and smiled at them. At that moment, had a complete stranger walked into the room and seen them, one would have sworn these three were a family. The young girl was cuddling the child preciously, Nokoru's arms wrapped protectively around his life partner's waist as he smiled whimsically at them both.
 
Now at eye level, the little girl stared at Ami in sheer awe.
 
Nokoru chuckled. “There's a reaction I know all too well.”
 
“Pretty.” the child cooed.
 
The young Duchess of Augsburg smiled sweetly. “Not as pretty as you, princess. And a pretty girl like you needs her beauty sleep.”
 
She shook her head vehemently with a pout. “Play.”
 
“No, sleep.” she patiently corrected her.
 
“Play!” she insisted. “Keiko wanna play!”
 
“I'll handle this one.” Iria announced as she approached the three.
 
“Would Keiko like to play with kaa-san?” she asked.
 
Little Keiko made grabbing motions towards her mother.
 
Ami carefully returned the child to her mother's arms as Iria went away to lull her child to sleep.
 
“Iria-nee has a kid and she never told me.” Nokoru pouted playfully.
 
Aria laughed at her brother's expression.
 
“Get moving you two. Okaa-san wants you to meet a few people.” She pushed the pair forward.
 
Giving his sister a mock glare, Nokoru steered Ami towards the Foundation matriarch, keeping a hand to the small of Ami's back.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
Higato watched the happy couple from a distance, fuming at every tender display of affection they showed each other. He had been just as stunned as the rest of his relatives at the ice skater's appearance when she had entered the Reception Hall. He had been almost certain the heavens were missing an angel that night. She was striking. No one living girl could be that beautiful so naturally. She had to be supernatural. He had just about recovered enough to race up to her and compliment her on her appearance in an attempt to at least win a smile from her and some small favor in her eyes, but once again his Cousin had beat him to her. He had watched them exchange sweet pleasantries, and then had gasped in horror while his relatives had gasped in shock when Nokoru had kissed her, right there, in front of everyone. And the graceful harp player had done nothing to stop him.
 
Takasa stifled a growl at that recent memory. His steel grey eyes watched the pair join Imonoyama-san speaking with some other of their relatives. Everyone bowed in deep respect to the duo. Higato recognized most of those they spoke to. Heads of large companies, political leaders, and a few military leaders, all much older than the two, but all showed the deepest regards and loyalty to them. Takasa knew they had to show Nokoru their obedience since he was to be the head of the Imonoyama Electrical Division, but why did they show this to Mizuno as well?
 
He abruptly blinked at the thought. He's not…! I won't let him! He screamed inwardly.
 
He joined the crowd as they all moved towards the long table to sit down for dinner. By pure luck he managed to grab a seat not too far away from the head of the table where Imonoyama-san, the Imonoyama elder siblings, the lovely Mizuno and Nokoru all sat.
 
From where he now sat Takasa could keep a watchful eye on his heart's desire. She was perfectly elegant during the dinner, a bright infectious smile on her face as she spoke pleasantly to the one of the elder Imonoyama brothers on her right, her hand clasped tightly with Nokoru's at her immediate left. Never once did the pair release each other's hands throughout the entire meal. Every so often, Takasa would see Nokoru pick a choice morsel from his plate with his chopsticks and carefully hold it up to the Augsburg Duchess' lips. She would giggle innocently and allow him to feed her with the greatest of care. The elder Imonoyama siblings and the Rijichou would smile and nod to each other in clear approval. Every so often he would hear Imonoyama Aria giggle happily as she videotaped the young couple flirting with each other. And in the background to it all was Nokoru's closest sisters squealing and cooing in delight at the simply adorable scene between their little brother and the chess player.
 
To the grey-eyed boy, it was as if the two were flaunting the fact that they were together.
 
Takasa scowled his most hateful glare at them both when Nokoru leaned over to Mizuno to kiss her bare shoulder and whisper something in her ear, making her blush deeply.
 
Higato's hand closed over his dinner knife, scowling deep in his throat.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
Mesuinu sat at the opposite end of Higato Takasa and saw everything going on between the outsider and Nokoru.
 
She frowned when she saw Nokoru kiss the Augsburg Duchess's shoulder.
 
That should be me! She fumed. I should be the one sitting at his side! I should be the one he keeps so close! I should be the one he kisses! Her frame began to tremble ever so slightly in rising fury.
 
She closed her hand over the dinner knife and dug deep within herself as she concocted a plan. She would plunge the blade into the outsider's abdomen when she stepped up to the stage of the Main Hall to begin her performance. With the witch gone, Mesuinu was sure that Nokoru will finally notice her.
 
Such lovely pain she would cause the blue-haired girl before she took what rightly belonged to her. It was perfect.
 
You will feel the pain I have felt at your arrival, little witch. Nokoru is mine!
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
After dinner, as planned by the Rijichou, Ami stepped delicately to the glass platform in the Main Hall to begin her performance.
 
Sitting gently on the stool provided, she held her fingers over the thread-thin strings of the harp and began to play.
 
So engrossed and carried away in her playing that Ami had not noticed that Mesuinu was creeping steadily towards her.
 
With an enraged scream, Mesuinu lunged forward, a knife stolen from the dining table in her hand, as she thrust the said weapon in Ami's direction.
 
Ami quickly stumbled up from the stool, her playing momentarily forgotten as she sidestepped the incensed girl's assassination attempt.
 
The women screamed in horror as they tried to flee.
 
Nokoru quickly grabbed his life partner's wrist and pulled her away from Mesuinu.
 
The Rijichou immediately took orders into her hands as she shouted out orders through the walkie talkie she always carried around.
 
It was not long before Mesuinu was subdued by the guards.
 
As she was being led away by the black suited bodyguards, she turned to a deeply confused Ami and spat at her.
 
“Nokoru will be mine witch.” She swore.
 
“Not in this lifetime.” Nokoru glared at her.
 
When Mesuinu was gone, he turned to Ami.
 
“Are you all right?” he asked.
 
“Yes.” The girl replied, an obvious shudder was evident in her posture.
 
“I'll take you home.” Nokoru offered.
 
Ami merely nodded as she let him lead her to the entrance.
 
“Mizuno-san, I do apologize for that… unexpected intrusion.” The Rijichou apologized regretfully to the girl.
 
“I'll be fine, Rijichou.” Ami reassured the older woman.
 
“Not to worry, Mizuno-san. I'll give you a full account on who Mesuinu-san is and why she wants you gone.” The Rijichou promised.
 
“Thank you Rijichou.” Ami bowed to the older woman.
 
The Rijichou nodded as she watched Nokoru escort the girl to one of the family's vehicles.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
SailorStar9: Wow, an intense chapter that was. Read and review.