Code Lyoko Fan Fiction ❯ Splash ❯ The Girl on the Rock ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I was just flicking through some of my mum's old stories in her office looking for something to read and I came across a book that gave me the idea for this fic. You can probably guess what book it was that I found by reading the fic. It may seem a bit `fairytale-ish' but I'm really enjoying writing it. Send me any ideas if you have them. Hope you like it.
 
Splash!
By CuteLittleAirbender
 
Full Summery: A year has passed since Aelita was found to be the daughter of Franz Hopper, and Jeremy is still a long way away from finding the counter for XANA's linking virus. Yumi and Ulrich are still too shy to accept their feelings for each other and Odd is only just getting used to being single again after his break up with yet another girlfriend when his world gets turned upside down and inside out after he is unexpectedly saved for drowning by a young mermaid. And the only proof he's left with that she ever existed is a small blue pearl that he kept with him all the time after the incident. A bear week after Odd's encounter with the mergirl, a new and very pretty student comes to the school and quickly befriends the Lyoko gang. Little do they all know that she isn't all that she appears to be. Marina Avalon has only one mission to complete at Kadic; to get her mermaid's pearl back from Odd before her coming of age ceremony. There's just one catch; he has to give it to her completely willingly without her telling him that she's a mermaid. But as unusual as her quest is, the last thing she expected to happen was for her to fall in love. [OddxMarina (oc), JeremyxAelita, UlrichxYumi]
 
Chapter One
The Girl on the Rock
 
“Odd! Be careful on those rocks! You might slip!” Aelita yelled from the shore line as Odd and his dog Kiwi both clambered over the slippery boulders that lined the sides of Sapphire bay in the south of France.
“I'll be fine! Don't worry!” he yelled over his shoulder as Kiwi barked in consent.
It was a beautifully sunny Saturday afternoon in May and the since the Lyoko gang didn't have school in the afternoon that day, they had all decided to take Aelita down to the beach for the first time since she was materialized. Odd wished he had brought a camera for when Aelita had first seen the ocean, her eyes had widened in awe and she had almost passed out from joy when Jeremy had offered to take her swimming. But it seemed to Odd, who had been a spectator to the whole thing had also noticed that it wasn't just Aelita and Jeremy who seemed to be enjoying each other's company. He chuckled smugly under his breath at the look on Ulrich's face as Yumi pulled off her tee-shirt to reveal her slinky black bikini. He just caught a glimpse of Yumi blushing at Ulrich as Odd slid himself over another rock and onto a small ledge just big enough for him to sit with Kiwi next to him.
Those two are so totally in love. He thought as he looked out over the turquoise waters of the Mediterranean Sea. It had been almost exactly a year since Aelita had first been materialized, and Jeremy was still no closer to the answer of the counter for XANA's linking virus. Yes, XANA was still a major problem for the gang, even thought Aelita had managed to temporarily cripple him by creating a virus of her own and infecting him with it. But it was only to last for the summer holidays, so they had luckily had at least a short break from him and his monsters. The summer had been short but eventful.
Yumi had gone back to Japan for a few weeks with her mother and father, Jeremy had invited Aelita to come with his family on holiday to South Africa while Odd had gone to stay with Ulrich in his family's summer house in Hawaii until Yumi, Jeremy and Aelita came back to France. With in the short space of four weeks a lot seemed to have happened to the gang. Ulrich and Odd had taken up surfing as a hobby, which Odd seemed to be quite skilled at. Yumi had gone off to visit her other friends in Tokyo, Aelita and Jeremy had gone to visit the Cape of Good Hope and with in the space of all that time, Odd had gone through such a fast growth spurt that he had grown to be the same height as Ulrich and Yumi by the time they got back to school. Odd chuckled at the memory of Yumi's shock when he no longer needed to look up to talk to her. Jeremy and Aelita had grown as well, although not as much as he had, but now that they were all back in Kadic, they all seemed around the same size as each other, give or take a centimeter or two.
Odd smiled, when they had left Kadic for the summer, Ulrich had been the most popular boy with the girls by far. But now that Odd's appearance had changed rather dramatically from his previously `scrawny' form, he even had a decent collection of girl's fawning over him as well. Not that any of them really took his fancy, they were all either too full of themselves vanity wise or were only interested in his looks, and not his rather eccentric personality.
Odd sighed and looked out over the water's surface. It was so peaceful out by the ocean. Totally calm, tranquil, and soothing. Completely silent apart from the gentle sounds of the waves hitting the shore. It was pure bliss.
Kiwi gave a happy little bark and trotted over the top of another kelp covered rock and Odd laughed and got to his feet.
“Alright boy, wacha foun…?”
But Odd's train of thought was cut clean off by what he and Kiwi saw on the other side of the taller stones.
 
-
 
I AM SICK TO THE GILLS OF HAVING TO TAKE AFTER MY STUPID SISTER'S STUPID EXAMPLES! Why did they ALL have to go and become girlfriends to rich, snobby, good looking mermen, so now mum says I HAVE TO AS WELL? A pretty young mergirl with pale skin and pale blond hair tipped with icy blue thought angrily as she propelled herself through the costal waters around southern France. Her sleek pale blue mermaid's tail swishing back and forth as she moved gracefully through the turquoise waters of the Mediterranean Sea.
Marina was a mermaid, and a very beautiful one even by mermaid standards. She hand a beautiful pair of almond shaped icy blue eyes and long pale blond hair that slowly faded into icy blue at the bottom and was held to the side with a small yellow starfish. From the waist up she was a surprisingly attractive young 13 year old girl (27 in human years, mermaids mature 2 times slower than humans do) with pale skin, and slender figure, a pair of white mermaid's shells across her chest that were strung together with pearls and a simple necklace with a white shell on it and a pale blue pearl in side it. But fading down from the waist, where her legs should have been; there was a lovely, sleek, curvy pale blue tail that only seemed to emphasis her already obvious curves.
Not only was Marina a very beautiful mermaid for her age, but she was also a princess of the North Atlantic Ocean. She had six other sisters aside from herself, all of them older and already going out with various merboys or already married off to Ambassador's sons and Mer Princes from other oceanic nations (South Pacific Ocean, North Pacific Ocean, etc.) Now that she was the youngest daughter of Queen Kana of the North Atlantic Ocean that had no interest in boys, her mother's advisors had informed her that it would be best to marry her youngest daughter to a rich Mer family, since she was her mother's favorite. Queen Kana had agreed with the advisors and betrothed Marina to be married to prince Faro of the Indian Ocean once she turned 13 and a half (27 in human years).
Now Marina, being the youngest, most independent and headstrong of all her sisters, hadn't taken too kindly to the idea of an arranged marriage with the youngest son of one of the richest and snobbiest mermen in the sea. So, with the help of her best friend Thalia, Princess of the South Atlantic, she swam away from the palace in the North Atlantic towards the Mediterranean where her aunt lived.
She had been swimming for a whole day before she came to a stop to rest on the coast of France after going past Gibraltar. She was tired out of her mind from swimming all day and even her fins and gills were hurting from when she had been chased by a group of Tiger Sharks trying to take her back to her mother.
I'm not going back. I won't marry that little limpet of a merboy! She thought angrily and she swam sleepily over to a group of rock that was out of sight of the beach and out of reach of sharks where she could rest. Exhaustedly she pulled her self out of the water and onto a tidal rock with bits of seaweed growing on it and clutched at her shell necklace.
I hate being a Mer princess, it's nothing but trouble! I wish I could get away from it all! She sighed, and lifted her tail a little further out of the water so that just the ends of her fins were touching the water. Her whole body was tired, even her eyelids felt droopy. The only thing in her body that didn't feel tired was her voice, and that was all she needed.
Marina looked out over the clear blue ocean and smiled. Her home was the most beautiful places on earth to her. The sound of the waves rushing over the sand of the beach, or crashing against the rocky shores behind her was enough to make her heart soar with happiness. Slowly her nerves seemed to calm as she listened to the wordless song of the sea, and then joined in herself. Her lovely voice hovered gently over the swelling waves and swirled and dancing with the sea breeze as she continues to sing her wordless song of the ocean.
It is a well known fact to humans and merfolk alike that a young mermaid's singing voice could lure a sailor or young male to her side at a two mile radius, and of course Marina knew this too. What she didn't know, was that sitting four meters behind her, listening to her singing, was a 13 year old boy and his dog. She only realized that he was there after he shifted his weight to get a better look at her, and knocked a rock into the water, silencing her calm, soothing song and replacing it with a fearful look of horror on the her beautiful face.
“I'm sorry! I didn't realize you wanted to be alone! The boy said, blushing so hard at Marina's half naked figure that he didn't notice the small detail that the girl he had just seen had fins instead of legs.
Poseidon almighty! He has the most gorgeous eyes I've ever seen, wait - did I just think that? OH MARINA! You're such a barnacle brain! Marina thought, panic rising in her chest.
“I'm sorry! Are you alrigh-!!!?”
But the boy stopped in mid sentence as Marina tried to shift her body so her tail was hidden from him, but she failed miserably. The boy had seen what she really was! His jaw dropped and his eyes bulged.
“No way! You're a-!!!”
He saw me!!! Oh BULL SHARK!!! HE'S SAW ME!!! Marina mentally screamed at herself as she lunged gracefully away from her rock and into the sea to hide from him.
“Hey! Wait a sec-WOAH!”
SPLASH!!!
Marina spun around in the water to see the boy who had seen her in the water, being sucked down into the deep waters by the strong current around the rocks. The ledge he had fallen off hadn't been too high up from the water's level, but it had been in an enclosed little cove with lots of rock and boulders creating a `tide-rush' below the surface that would have been completely invisible to human eyes, unless they were to fall into it.
The boy attempted to scream as his legs and waist became trapped in the deadly current and his whole body was spun around and into deeper water, but only a few silver bubbles of air escaped his lips as his eyes began to flicker closed. He was going to drown!
Marina didn't know what she was doing until after she's done it. Using all her speed and strength, she shot down into the deep water after the human boy, linked her arm around his waist and then headed straight for the surface, swishing her tail with all her strength. The second Marina's head broke the surface of the water; the sound of a small dog barking at the water where the boy had fallen and people's voices met her ears.
“Odd! Where are you!” a 14 year old female voice echoed around the rocks.
“Odd! Come on answer us!!” a teenage male's voice
“What if he's fallen into the current?!!!” a younger girl's voice.
“ODD!!! ANSWER US!!!”
Marina could only assume that they were friends of the half drowned boy in her arms, probably thinking that he was hiding from them or drowning by then. Silently as she could, Marina pulled the boy round the sides of the rocks and over to the beach where his friends where just leaving to search around the cliffs for him. She struggled to pull him onto the shore by herself since she didn't have legs of her own, but once both of them where half out of the water and on the sand, Marina put her hand to the side of the boys face. He wasn't breathing.
She placed her hand on his bear chest; his heart was barely beating, and getting weaker by the second.
“Come on, please wake up.” She pleaded, rubbing his chest to try and ease the air into his lungs. The boy didn't stir. Marina lifted his head onto her lap, pored cold sea water over his face and gently tapped the side of his cheek to get him to wake up. But it didn't work.
“Come on, please don't die on me.” She whispered sorrowfully in his ear, nearing the brink of tears. If this boy died, it would be all her fault. She knew perfectly well that her kind was meant too despise humans, but Marina knew the she would never be able to live with herself if she let him die. A single silvery tear rolled down Marina's pale cheek and dropped onto the boy's forehead, glistening like ivory. A mermaid's unique tears, liquid pearl, not water.
Then an idea struck her; her Mermaid's pearl! Every mermaid in history was always given one at birth, it's was a source of their healing power as well as a symbol of their Oceanic origin. It might be a small sacrifice for her, but there was no way Marina could let the boy lying at her mercy die.
Still supporting the boy's head in her lap, Marina reached up to her neck, opened the shell locket on it and took out the icy blue pearl inside. It shimmered faintly in the sunlight as she lowered it gently to the boy's chest and allowed its light to sink and spread into his body.
Marina sighed in relief and leaned over him as the boy began to stir. He was alive, that was all the mattered to her. She didn't care if she had had to give away her pearl, it only mattered that the boy way alive to her.
It was only in those few short moments of the boy recovering himself that Marina really took in every single detail of the boy's appearance.
He was medium in height for his mature form, although was probably the exact same height as she was standing up. He was well built and clearly a good runner, but not overly athletic or exceedingly muscularly looking, he was just right. With medium tanned skin and blond hair that had been gelled into a spike with a single purple spot in the center of his fringe.
Marina gently laid him down on the sand again and he coughed violently from inhaling so much water and slowly sat up and looked at her. The young mermaid felt the breath catch in her throat. The boy's eyes now that they were open were nothing short of amazing. They were the color of sunlight on the ocean. A bright, sparking honey brown color that made his whole face look like it was centered around his eyes. He was gorgeous, nothing less. She smiled at his expression of shock and confusion.
“What's your name?” she asked.
 
-
 
“What's your name?” the mergirl asked, her voice gentle as silk. Odd looked her lovely form up and down, his eyes lingering on her beautiful pale blue tail.
“O-Odd Della-Robbia…who…why…you just saved me…” He stuttered, unable to process or understand what he was seeing. The mergirl laughed gently, her voice completely unique but lovely as well, like as silver bell ringing.
“I'm glad you're alright.” She said giving him another charming smile.
“A-are…are y-you really a-?” but the mermaid placed a delicate finger to his lips, her smile was like moonlight on a lake. Odd could feel his heart thumping so hard behind his breastbone he thought it would break; he knew that his cheeks must have been a deep shade of cherry red by then. The mergirl seemed to find this amusing, because she giggled at his expression, leaned forwards and gave him and small but honest kiss on the lips before turning and slipping herself back into the water.
“Hey! Wait, I don't even know your name!” Odd said, getting up to his feet just as the pretty mergirl dove back into the water. Suddenly she turned around and somehow controlled the water so she was lifted up out of it so that her slender hips were just above that water line. Odd was standing barely a meter and a half away from her with his legs submerged in water almost up to his thighs. The mergirl smiled again.
“You might find out my name one day. But in the mean time; keep that little gift I gave you safe. Look after it.” She said, pointing down at Odd's right hand, “It's very special to me.” The mergirl gently tapped the white shell pendant that was hanging around her neck as Odd stared at her. Automatically he looked down at his palm, only to find that there was a beautiful pale blue pearl lying in his hand. It glistened in the late evening sunlight as his hand moved.
The same color as her eyes. He thought, looking up see her again. But she was gone, swimming off across the sea. Odd stared out over the water for a few seconds before he heard voices coming from behind him.
“Odd! Are you ok?”
Odd's head whipped around to see Yumi, Ulrich, Aelita, Jeremy and Kiwi all running down the slope towards him. All of them looked worried sick, but Odd couldn't have cared less. A stupid grin was plastered across his face and he had the pearl held gently in his palms like it was made of gold leaf.
“Odd! You vanished for ages! Where did you go?” Yumi asked concern all over her face.
“Hey! A blue pearl! Where did you find that thing? You could sell that thing for a fortune Odd!” Ulrich exclaimed looking down in awe at the pearl, but Odd shook his head.
“Trust me guys; I couldn't possibly put a price on this.” He said, clutching it tightly in his hand, the image of the mergirl's beautiful eyes and unique smile flashing in his mind.
 
-
 
“I assume that you already know that you mother is absolutely furious about you running away Marina.” Marina's aunt Lalita said, swimming into Marina's bedroom with a plate of seaweed pasta for her to eat. Marina's aunt Lalita was pretty much her only living relative who she felt she could really trust apart from her sisters. She had raised her since she was very little because her mother was always too busy for her, so Marina had grown up living in the Mediterranean Sea around the island of Corsica until she turned 11 when her mother summoned her back to the palace in the North Atlantic. Marina knew her aunt was completely against her getting married at such a young age, that was why she had gone to hide there instead of going to one of her sisters for help.
“Yeah I know…” Marina said absent mindedly playing with her silky hair and staring out of the window. Her aunt raised an eyebrow at her and smirked, placing the shell plate down on her bed, some of her long red hair floating in front of her face.
“Well, at any rate you can stay here until this nonsense of you getting married blows over. I was thinking; maybe if your feeling up to it, we could go dolphin riding tomorrow afternoon with Thalia and Felicity then get something to eat at Hanoko's place afterwards… Marina, are you even listening to me?” Lalita asked, flicking her long indigo tail in irritation. Marina instantly snapped out of her daydream, looked at her aunt sheepishly before leaping onto the food she had been given as soon as she saw it. Lalita rolled her blue eyes towards the surface.
“Trust you to take more notice in your stomach than your aunt who you haven't seen in two years.”
Marina stopped eating and looked up from the plate in her lap, her eyes drooped.
“Sorry, I-I've just got a lot on my mind, that's all…” she muttered, fanning a stray minnow away from her food. Lalita looked at her sympathetically and seated herself on Marina's clam shaped bed next to her, putting an arm around her shoulders.
“About the wedding? You do know that if you don't want to marry him, I'll tell Kana to cancel the engagement. I'm sure if she puts her own mind to it, and not the advisor's, then she'd see that it's a bad idea…”
“It's not that-” Marina interrupted, her pale blue eyes gazing unfocused into space. Lalita pulled her a little closer.
“Then what is it Starfish?” she asked, using Marina's favorite pet name, given to her because of the starfish she always wore in her hair. Marina opened her mouth, closed it again and then took a deep breath through the gills on her neck to calm herself.
“I-I saved a human boy today…” she said, fiddling with her empty shell necklace in nervousness. Her aunt looked surprised.
“You did? Did he see your tail?”
“W-well…um, yes. But only for a couple of seconds!” she said quickly as her aunt's eyes widened, “I was singing on a tide rock and he came up behind me on one of the ledges and fell into a current and got sucked under. He started drowning; I couldn't just let him die! So I took him back to the shore a-“
“You mean he heard you singing, followed the entrancing sound. And then he was completely mesmerized by your beauty and lovely voice, completely lost his sense of balance and fell into the water! My little Marina's becoming a siren already!” Lalita sang in delight and clamped her niece in a throttling hug. Marina looked at her aunt as if she was insane.
“Oookkkkaaayyy. That wasn't the reaction I was expecting…” she muttered but Lalita ignored her. Going into gossip mode she pulled her over to Marina's bed and sat with her tail underneath her.
“Well come on! DETAILS KIDDO, DETAILS!!!” she giggled like an over excited teenager and Marina just looked at her, sighed and sat on the corner of the bed.
“Well, ur…”
“Marina! The suspense is killing me! Stop stalling and tell me! Did you have to give him CPR?”
Marina slapped her forehead but then looked down at her lap in nervousness.
“He was about to die form lack of air so…so I gave him my pearl to keep him alive.” She blurted.
There was a long silence as Marina just floated in the water in front of her shocked aunt.
“That boy has your pearl…?”
“Y-yeah. I put it on his chest and it kind of began to glow, then he woke up…”
Another pause.
“Her soul mate…is a human?” Lalita breathed so that Marina couldn't hear her. The young pale blue mermaid looked confused.
“What?”
Her aunt looked up suddenly then shook her head.
“Nothing. So this boy still has your birth pearl, right?”
“That's what I said.”
“Well you've got to try and get it back Kiddo.”
“What?! Why?!!”
Lalita smacked her forehead at Marina's ignorance, snatched her lunar calendar off the bedside table and held up it up in front of her niece's face.
“Your birthday and coming of age ceremony is in just over a month! If you don't have your pearl by then, you'll never be able to become an adult Mermaid!”
Marina's heart sank. She hadn't thought of that at the time.
A mermaid's 27th birthday (13 and a half in human years) and coming of age ceremony could have easily been called the most important moment in her whole life. As was commonly know by the every living being in the seas; a mermaid had the power to give herself the freedom to walk on land by using her magic to turn her tail into legs. A gift that mermen, for unknown reasons, very rarely had. As a young mermaid; the mergirl has only enough oceanic magic within her to keep her legs sustained for a certain amount of time before she has to get back into water and transform to keep herself alive. But as an adult mermaid; she has the power to keep her legs for as long as she wants, without returning to the water for a very long time, years even. Marina had been looking forward to her coming of age ceremony for almost three year before; she couldn't believe that she had forgotten it so suddenly. Not only would she be able to walk on land for a long time, which had always been a dream of hers since she was still learning to do flips, but she would lawfully be allowed to choose her own husband without being betrothed to one by her over protective mother. But if she didn't manage to get her pearl back by the next full moon, she would never become an adult mermaid and would have to marry who ever her mother wanted her to.
Marina grabbed the lunar calendar chart out of her aunt's hands and quickly scanned it, calculating exactly how long she had before the next full moon of the spring and the first full moon of the summer. In human dates, it was Saturday 6th of May at that moment, and she had until Sunday 11th of June, her birthday, to get her pearl back and get into the sea under the full moon before the dead line expired.
“But Lita, how am I supposed to get my pearl back by the end of spring? That boy who has it is a human, and I can only stay human for about a day or two before I have to transform back…”
But Marina broke off as she watched her aunt smirk at her. Lalita only smirked if she knew something that Marina didn't, and that wasn't usually a good thing.
“I have an idea…” she said quickly swimming out of Marina's room and into the study, snatching her shell-phone off the coral desk top. She quickly willed it to call the person she wanted to talk to and help the shell to her ear.
It rang for a second before the person answered.
“Hello, Kana? It's Lita…yes Marina's here with me…cool your fins sis! I have a deal to make with you…”
 
Chapter Two: Just a few StepsPreview ~
 
“I'm telling you guys! That's what I saw! I'm sure of it.”
“But Odd, it's just not logically possibly what you saw. You probably hit your head on some rocks when you got dragged under by the current. I'm sorry but there's no logical way that mermaids could exist. It just doesn't make any sense.”
 
-
 
“I'm really not sure about this plan Lita.”
“Don't worry, I've got it all worked out!”
 
-
 
“How long do you think it will take her to realize that he's her soul mate?”
“I'm not sure…I'll bet you five sand dollars he falls for her before her coming of age ceremony.”
“No thanks, I'd rather keep my money.”
 
Sorry it was a bit of an unoriginal chapter, but I hope you liked it. Pleas be nice and R&R. See ya again soon ;)