Corpse Bride Fan Fiction ❯ The Revenge of Lord Barkis ❯ Remains of the Day yet again ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER ONE
 
 
Another fine day in the land of the dead, oh I never felt so happy to be me. For those of who may not know or remember me… My name's Mykan.
 
I am the twin brother of the Corpse Bride, Emily. I'd gladly tell you about my past life and how I came to be here… but maybe you already know that story.
 
Of how I was a dress maker, and how I was lonely, and in lament, but thanks to the help of Elder Gutknecht, my Sister Emily, and her husband Victor… I know have a wife of my own.
 
Victoria Everglot, once Victor's betrothed from the land of the living.
 
Once we were married I sold my castle to Elder Gutknecht, so he'd have a summer place to be when he wanted to get away from being Wiseman of the land and all, as well as store most of his books and parchments.
 
Now I lived with my three family members. My Wife Victoria, my Sister Emily, and my brother in-law Victor. We all bought a farm with the money I got from my castle, and lived in a nice house in the dead meadows just outside the town.
 
I still wore my same old outfit. Worn out red tunic, tights, boots, gloves, and cape. But I worked as a dress maker, but only to those who could meet my prices.
 
That's right, no more freebies this time. If they wanted something that was the best, they'd have to work for it.
 
Besides, now I was more focused on my ways as a farmer. Victor and I took Victor's dog Scraps to help us round up the Sheep Skeletons. By round up, we meant to find their bones and put them together.
 
Victoria was busy plowing the felids for our Moldy garden. We may be Corpses, and so we don't depend on food, but we do like to keep the sport alive.
 
She even enjoyed the fact that she no longer had her disgruntled parents to make her life miserable, so she could roughly do as she wished. She no longer wore her hair in a tight bun, and just let it fly loosely.
 
My word, but she looked beautiful, even if she was wearing her field outfit.
 
Emily, still our Corpse bride no longer wore her veil, except when she went out into town, but at home she kept it off, and she also pinned the long train of her gown up so not to get it caught.
 
She normally worked in the house dusting and cleaning things out. Or she worked in the barn feeding and cleaning up after the animals. Just like a house wife would normally be.
 
Victor and I were usually off to the sheep pens every other day, but when we weren't off to the pens, we helped our wives with the work around the field and the house.
 
Yes… we were happy all together. Even though we could not have any children, as we were all dead, but still we had each other, and together we made one happy family.
 
A Special family… that they wrote a new song for us all.
 
“Hit it boys.” said Bonejangles and once again our Jazz man, or Jazz Skeleton and his chorus was playing the music to Emily's song but yet again with different lyrics.
 
(Bonejangles)
 
Hey, give me a listen
You corpses of cheer
At least those of you
Who still got an ear
I'll tell you about something
Make a skeleton cry
It's the family of our legendary, lovely Corpse Bride
 
(Chorus)
 
Die, Die
We all pass away
Don't wear a frown, cause it's really ok
You might try and hide
And you might try to pray
But we all end up
The remains of the day
 
Yah, yah, yah, yah, yah
Yah, yah, yah
 
(Bonejangles)
 
Well, the bro of our beauty
Mykan is his name
and Making pretty dresses is his old game
After a traumatizing tale of his death and woe
With his big sisters help he was given the chance
And poor little he
Was know knowing romance
Now he lives on a farm
From his money bought
And from having no hope, A lesson was taught
 
(Chorus)
 
Die, Die
We all pass away
Don't wear a frown, cause it's really ok
You might try and hide
And you might try to pray
But we all end up
The remains of the day
 
Yah, yah, yah, yah, yah
Yah, yah, yah
 
Yah, yah, yah, yah, yah
Yah, yah, yah
 
(Bonejangles)
 
-Now her husband named Victor, may be timid and shy
But from the living land he was a real nice guy
He married our beauty, but only by mistake
But before they knew they cutting wedding cake
Victor drank the poison which made him croak
So he married our beauty with the vows he spoke
But his old girl Victoria,
up there still was she
But what had happed
happened was no mystery?
 
(And then?)
Mykan came to town
(And then?)
He said his love life was down
(what happened next)
He had brought her here
(And then?)
The wedding guests cheered
 
-Now Victoria knew
He was dead as dust
Her old life was over
but her heart wasn't bust
So loved our Mykan, plain as can be
So she married him now as happy as can be
The four happy friends live together in peace
On a really nice farm and no need to pay lease
There is tenderness for them all to preside
And that's the family of our CORPSE BRIDE
 
(Chorus)
 
-Die, Die
We all pass away
Don't wear a frown, cause it's really ok
You might try and hide
And you might try to pray
But we all end up
The remains of the day
YEAH
 
I wonder if Bonejangles will ever change the tune tot hat song. This must be the hundredth time he's sung that… Ah well, we liked it anyway.
 
Besides, if any new arrivals were to come to our land of the Dead we'd have to sing it so everyone would know Emily.
 
Of course there was one person who was amongst us, but by now he was as harmless as the Maggot that still popped though Emily's eye once in a while.
 
Lord Barkis!
 
Though I had never before met him, I could tell from the others that he was a very bad man and deserved to be amongst us dead people, it's a shame I wasn't there for his… initiation.
 
When Mrs. Plumb and the others tore off all his flesh so he was nothing more than a pack of dry bones, there was hardly anything he could do now to any of us.
 
…Or so we thought!